PDA

View Full Version : Largest Cities Without Div. I Football

DFW HOYA
August 16th, 2006, 08:41 PM
From the 2005 census numbers, some cities which need to build some I-AA football within its borders:

1. San Antonio (UTSA): 1.25 million
2. Detroit (Detroit-Mercy): 886,000
3. San Francisco (USF?): 739,000
4. Baltimore (Loyola?) 635,000
5. Charlotte (Charlotte): 610,000
6. Milwaukee (UWM, Marquette): 578,000

bobcatalum05
August 16th, 2006, 08:47 PM
Whats really sad is that San Antonio doesnt even have a pro football team either.

Tod
August 16th, 2006, 08:54 PM
Whats really sad is that San Antonio doesnt even have a pro football team either.

No kidding. A city of 1.25 million souls in the heart of Texas, for God's sake!

It makes no sense.

GeauxLions94
August 16th, 2006, 09:08 PM

They had the Saints last year. Oh wait, nevermind :D

August 16th, 2006, 09:08 PM
What about Chicago? Evanston is the closest city with D-I football.

EKU05
August 16th, 2006, 09:11 PM
I guess most people kind of consider Northwestern as being in Chicago even though it technically is not. Who is the team in NYC by the way? I'll probably kick myself when I hear the answer. I know St. John's shut their program down a few years back.

Marcus Garvey
August 16th, 2006, 09:12 PM
Good point, but you're splitting hairs there. That's like saying Phoenix doesn't have D-I (A or AA) football, even though Arizona St. is in Tempe, right across the city line.

Marcus Garvey
August 16th, 2006, 09:14 PM
I guess most people kind of consider Northwestern as being in Chicago even though it technically is not. Who is the team in NYC by the way? I'll probably kick myself when I hear the answer. I know St. John's shut their program down a few years back.

3 teams in NYC:
Columbia in Manhatten
Fordahm in the Bronx
Wagner on Staten Island

Mr. C
August 16th, 2006, 09:15 PM
NYC has Columbia, Fordham and Hofstra, if you want to count Long Island.

Mr. C
August 16th, 2006, 09:17 PM
Well, if the University of Chicago hadn't dropped their program all those many years ago ... They were a D-I power. If you had a D-I in Chicago, it might disrupt Notre Dame's Subway Alumni.

89Hen
August 16th, 2006, 09:17 PM
They have two: Towson and Morgan State. While technically Towson is it's own town, it is inside the Baltimore beltway. Morgan is in Baltimore proper.

bobcatalum05
August 16th, 2006, 09:18 PM

Thats why with 45miles away TX State really needs to try to capitalize on the San Antonio Market.

Mike Johnson
August 16th, 2006, 09:37 PM
Do you really think that the Bobcats can outdo the Longhorns in San Antonio?

I think there is a reason why UT-San Antonio and UT-Arlington in the Dallas-Fort Worth area don't have football. Because the fan base there is heavily for the Longhorns.

Tod
August 16th, 2006, 09:40 PM
NYC has Columbia, Fordham and Hofstra, if you want to count Long Island.

Uuuuuhhhh...Stony Brook?

blackfordpu
August 16th, 2006, 09:44 PM

It is crazy that San Antonio doesn't have a D-I program. El Paso even has one.

Marcus Garvey
August 16th, 2006, 09:54 PM
Uuuuuhhhh...Stony Brook?

Stony Brook is too far out on Long Island to be considered part of NYC. Unlike Hofstra, which is in a town that borders Queens.
Stony Brook is to NYC what Corvallis is to Portland, OR

Mike Johnson
August 16th, 2006, 10:02 PM
From the 2005 census numbers, some cities which need to build some I-AA football within its borders:

If Northwestern counts as Chicago, then certainly California, Stanford, and San Jose State count as San Francisco or Bay area.

The Detroit area also has Wayne State and Oakland that conceivably could add football. Of course, a large number of college football fans in Detroit make the short Trek to Ann Arbor and tiny fraction them save 5 miles by stopping in Ypsilanti.

Davidson is a IAA program just north of Charlotte. Charlotte is a very rapidly growing area that straddles the boundary between North and South Carolina. It is the financial capital of the Carolinas and suports perhaps as many as 20 Division I programs in both states, as well as the professional team in the area.

ngineer
August 16th, 2006, 10:19 PM
First, University of Chicago still has football but at the D-III level.
U of Detroit Mercy was 'big time football' in the days of Knute Rockne and Gus Dorais, but dropped the sport completely kin 1964.
I became the head coach of the women's flag football team in 1974-76 that was originated that year playing games against Oakland U., Wayne State, U of Mich. Ann Arbor, Marygrove College. TV station even featured us on the 11 O'clock news the first year. I had a 'great' time--talk about real coaching--"this is how you hold a football"...Amazingly, they picked it up real quick. The 'huddles' were the best....;)

grizband
August 16th, 2006, 10:35 PM
Cities with no division one football teams (populations are from 2004 estimates of the city only):

St. Louis, MO (pop. 352,000)
Omaha, NE (pop. 415,000)
Burlington, VT (pop. 204,000)
Anchorage, AK (280,000)

August 16th, 2006, 10:39 PM
If Northwestern counts as Chicago...It doesn't. Evanston has always been its own city and quite distinctive on the North Shore. Chicago just sprawled out to almost meet it. Same with a lot of "suburban Chicago."

Chi Panther
August 16th, 2006, 11:50 PM
It doesn't. Evanston has always been its own city and quite distinctive on the North Shore. Chicago just sprawled out to almost meet it. Same with a lot of "suburban Chicago."

I can't help but think South Eastern Wisconsin and North Western Indiana are part of Chicago.....Valpo almost seems like its in the City Limits....

HZWV
August 17th, 2006, 12:07 AM

Northen Illinois is in DeKalb, IL. Which is considered a suburb of Chicago.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/HerdZoned/NIUMAP.gif

Lionsrking
August 17th, 2006, 12:17 AM
Shreveport, Louisiana (population, right at 200,000) doesn't have a division I football program. Centenary College is D-I but doesn't have football. If you count Bossier City (right across the river) and the surrounding metropolitan area, there are roughly 375,000 people.

August 17th, 2006, 01:31 AM
Northen Illinois is in DeKalb, IL. Which is considered a suburb of Chicago.No way is DeKalb a suburb of Chicago. There are no D-I football teams within the Chicago city limits.

Gil Dobie
August 17th, 2006, 06:44 AM
Denver 557,917?

UNH 40
August 17th, 2006, 08:16 AM
Cities with no division one football teams (populations are from 2004 estimates of the city only):

St. Louis, MO (pop. 352,000)
Omaha, NE (pop. 415,000)
Burlington, VT (pop. 204,000)
Anchorage, AK (280,000)

Burlington, VT (pop 204,000)? try 28,000. Burlington is a very small city (even though it is the biggest city in VT) where the University of Vermont is located. You are 100% right that there needs to be a D-I team in Vermont, it is an embarrassment that VT doesn't have a team. The crazy thing about it is Vermonters would support the team very well. Despite what many people think Vermonters love football Just so you know the population of the whole state is 500,000.

UNH 40
August 17th, 2006, 08:18 AM
What about Washington D.C.?

Pard4Life
August 17th, 2006, 08:28 AM

You have Georgetown... and University of Maryland is a stop on the Green Line Metro at College Park.

Somebody said Baltimore is without D-IA, but I'd count Maryland as Baltimore.

bobcatalum05
August 17th, 2006, 08:38 AM
Do you really think that the Bobcats can outdo the Longhorns in San Antonio?

I think there is a reason why UT-San Antonio and UT-Arlington in the Dallas-Fort Worth area don't have football. Because the fan base there is heavily for the Longhorns.

I would agree with UTSA being largely longhorns, but that doesnt mean that we cant do a better job of marketing there. UT Arlington has nothing to do with there base being longhorn fans. It has more to do with TCU, SMU and North Texas. Contrary to Popular belief not everyone in Texas is a Longhorn fan.

pcola
August 17th, 2006, 08:45 AM
With a combined metro population of just under 1,000,000 the Mobile-Pensacola area has to stack right up there. I had previously suggested Mobile as a location for the I-AA Championship game with the thought that it would be a neutral site in an area that loves football.

pcola
August 17th, 2006, 08:46 AM
Denver 557,917?
Isn't Boulder considered to be part of Denver metro?

Gil Dobie
August 17th, 2006, 09:03 AM
Isn't Boulder considered to be part of Denver metro?

Might be considered metro, metro population is 2.5 million. Seems to be outside of Denver proper. What do the Colorado people consider Boulder?

Denver Map (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.auroraedc.com/images/DenverAuroraMap.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.auroraedc.com/AuroraDenverMap.htm&h=717&w=750&sz=57&tbnid=km5_GJiKPelLFM:&tbnh=133&tbnw=140&prev=/images%3Fq%3Ddenver%2Bmap&start=2&sa=X&oi=images&ct=image&cd=2)

NoCoDanny
August 17th, 2006, 09:16 AM
Boulder is in no way, shape, or form a part of Denver... no, way, I won't accept it, never, ever, ever...

OK, well maybe it is but it's a stretch... Boulder was completely separate up until only the last 6 or 7 years but with urban sprawl it's now contained in one giant stretch of suburbs. Beyond that Boulder County is in the 5 county special district that finances things like Coors and Invesco Fields and the regional bus and light rail system.

bluehenbillk
August 17th, 2006, 09:22 AM
Are we really counting Temple as an actual football team? If not, you can put Philadelphia near the top of the list. I can tell you from live in the Philly metro area basically all my life they don't talk college football much at all.

89Hen
August 17th, 2006, 09:37 AM
Maryland, Georgetown and Howard.

89Hen
August 17th, 2006, 09:37 AM
Are we really counting Temple as an actual football team? If not, you can put Philadelphia near the top of the list. I can tell you from live in the Philly metro area basically all my life they don't talk college football much at all.
The original post was DI not I-A... Temple, Nova, Penn, LaSalle

NSUDemon98
August 17th, 2006, 10:43 AM

Lafayette, Louisiana....LOL...just kidding...

Shreveport, Louisiana doesn't have any kind of football other than high school and arena. Centenary College and LSU-S are both located in Shreveport. Centenary hasn't fielded a team in 50 years and LSU-S never has had football in their 40 year existence[thank god].

blueballs
August 17th, 2006, 11:34 AM
Miami doesn't, which is quite ironic because I'd be willing to bet there is at least one metro Miami player on just about every 1-AA roster east of the Rockies.

LBPop
August 17th, 2006, 12:25 PM

:bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

Lionsrking
August 17th, 2006, 12:29 PM
Miami doesn't, which is quite ironic because I'd be willing to bet there is at least one metro Miami player on just about every 1-AA roster east of the Rockies.

I think they mean division I period. Miami has two.

LBPop
August 17th, 2006, 12:30 PM
but I'd count Maryland as Baltimore.

While Maryland certainly markets to Baltimore and draws a lot of fans from Baltimore, the main campus is inside the DC Capital Beltway. It's no more than a 10 minute drive to the DC line.

Lionsrking
August 17th, 2006, 12:33 PM
Oklahoma City doesn't have a team though I guess Norman is right in their back pocket. Little Rock, AR is another.

Lionsrking
August 17th, 2006, 12:37 PM
I don't believe Kansas City, Mo. has one.

Marcus Garvey
August 17th, 2006, 01:15 PM
While Maryland certainly markets to Baltimore and draws a lot of fans from Baltimore, the main campus is inside the DC Capital Beltway. It's no more than a 10 minute drive to the DC line.

Good point. The rise of Terrapin football in the 50's (they were a power, and won a national championship) hastened the demise of G'town's program. They had their own stadium, better facilities, and larger enrollment.

I've see stories about the Baltimore Colts and people discussing why the Colts were so popular from the start. Most sports writers/historians agree that the lack of a major college football program in or near Baltimore allowed the Colts to gain popularity so fast.

89Hen
August 17th, 2006, 02:08 PM
I've see stories about the Baltimore Colts and people discussing why the Colts were so popular from the start. Most sports writers/historians agree that the lack of a major college football program in or near Baltimore allowed the Colts to gain popularity so fast.
I don't know. The fact that they were Baltimore and not Washington I would think had more to do with it. I talk to some of the old-timers around here who talk about how much the Skins and Colts hated each other in the 50's. The Colts actually struggled when the entered the NFL the first time and folded after one year in the league. I think you can point to Johnny U as the catalyst for the city falling in love with the team. That and the fact that they won the West in their 6th year in the NFL. :twocents:

LBPop
August 17th, 2006, 03:39 PM
I talk to some of the old-timers around here who talk about how much the Skins and Colts hated each other in the 50's.

You may have a chance to speak to another one this Saturday. :o

Back in the 50's when I was really young (REALLY YOUNG), there was a great rivalry between Baltimore and DC. When the Colts achieved championship caliber in the late 50's, the Redskins were not able to compete with them, but the rivalry remained. Also, the Orioles and Senators played in the American League and that helped fuel a rivalry--even though both teams were lousy.

I believe that much of the cause of this rivalry mentality was culturally based. Baltimore was seen as blue collar, home-grown and genuine, while DC was white collar, political and nobody was native to the city. Some of those stereotypes persist today despite some major changes. Baltimore has become far less "blue collar" and DC has tons of natives (I being one).

However there is one thing that almost all sports fans from both cities agree on. They all hate Peter Angelos. It's amazing how such a divisive guy can be so unifying. :rolleyes:

89Hen
August 17th, 2006, 03:43 PM
Ahhh, you're not even close to being one of the old-timers that I'm talking about Pop. I'm talking about guys who were back from the war and were working men in the early 50's when the Colts formed. :nod: :thumbsup:

DFW HOYA
August 17th, 2006, 07:28 PM
Good point. The rise of Terrapin football in the 50's (they were a power, and won a national championship) hastened the demise of G'town's program. They had their own stadium, better facilities, and larger enrollment.

Maryland had nothing to do with Georgetown dropping major college football.

In the late 1940's, there were four major college teams: Georgetown and GW were playing at 35,000 seat Griffith Stadium, Catholic at 25,000 seat Brookland Stadium, and Maryland at 5,000 seat Byrd Field, before they built 35,000 seat Byrd Stadium. All the teams drew poorly, though. And the Redskins had yet to dominate local sports, either.

Georgetown fell victim to three factors: 1) low attendance (less than 10,000 a game, 2) failing to build any on-campus facilities, they chose to put its money renting off campus, which made it easier to sweep the program away in 1951, and 3) they had a president who was deeply opposed to intercolelgiate sports and, had it not been for McDonough Gym being under construction at the time, would probably have given basketball the boot too. (Basketball had no on-campus facility as well.)

It was Hunter Guthrie who imperiously wrote that "We did not want the clean, patrician features of Georgetown disfigured by [football]." Truth is, he announced it during a spring break and the tenor of the day was that anyone who disagreed with him (student or otherwise) put his career at GU in peril. Guthrie lasted less than two years as president but the damage was done.

Catholic dropped football the same year, one of 38 schools to drop off the map. GW played in the Southern Conference until 1966 and opted to take the money it was spending renting RFK Stadium and put it towards an on-canpus basketball gym (which it did not have, either).

AppGuy04
August 17th, 2006, 07:55 PM
Charlotte, UNCG and UNCW should all have football in the next 10 years.

89Hen
August 17th, 2006, 08:21 PM
UNCW should all have football in the next 10 years.
I'd take that wager.

crunifan
August 17th, 2006, 09:54 PM
Drake is the only I-AA team in Des Moines, and they are non-scholarship. And then Cedar Rapids only has D-III Coe College. Granted, Cedar Rapids is the biggest Hawkeye city on the planet after Iowa City, so nothing could work there.

LBPop
August 18th, 2006, 08:48 AM
Maryland had nothing to do with Georgetown dropping major college football.

In the late 1940's, there were four major college teams: Georgetown and GW were playing at 35,000 seat Griffith Stadium, Catholic at 25,000 seat Brookland Stadium, and Maryland at 5,000 seat Byrd Field, before they built 35,000 seat Byrd Stadium. All the teams drew poorly, though. And the Redskins had yet to dominate local sports, either.

Georgetown fell victim to three factors: 1) low attendance (less than 10,000 a game, 2) failing to build any on-campus facilities, they chose to put its money renting off campus, which made it easier to sweep the program away in 1951, and 3) they had a president who was deeply opposed to intercolelgiate sports and, had it not been for McDonough Gym being under construction at the time, would probably have given basketball the boot too. (Basketball had no on-campus facility as well.)

It was Hunter Guthrie who imperiously wrote that "We did not want the clean, patrician features of Georgetown disfigured by [football]." Truth is, he announced it during a spring break and the tenor of the day was that anyone who disagreed with him (student or otherwise) put his career at GU in peril. Guthrie lasted less than two years as president but the damage was done.

Catholic dropped football the same year, one of 38 schools to drop off the map. GW played in the Southern Conference until 1966 and opted to take the money it was spending renting RFK Stadium and put it towards an on-canpus basketball gym (which it did not have, either).

You know, DFW, I am a DC native and I have been one for quite a while. ;) Yet, I always learn something about this town when you put up posts like this. Thank you. :thumbsup:

HZWV
August 18th, 2006, 10:53 AM
No way is DeKalb a suburb of Chicago. There are no D-I football teams within the Chicago city limits.

If it is or isn't. The MAC counts NIU as in Chi-Town. Of course the MAC also counts tickets sold as attend. Those are just the facts that I know of Marshall being in the MAC for 8 years.

AppGuy04
August 18th, 2006, 11:00 AM
I'd take that wager.

you don't think they will?

89Hen
August 18th, 2006, 11:10 AM
you don't think they will?
I don't think UNC-W will, I don't know about the other two. There has been absolutely no grumblings out of Wilmington about even starting to study a team. I'm not sure why they don't want one, but it seems they and VCU have no interest. Probably because there are already what, 10 DI football programs in NC? ODU is on the way and at least GMU and GSU (GA State) have mentioned it. I'd be shocked to see W make any move to start football in the next 10 years.

aceinthehole
August 18th, 2006, 12:58 PM
For your reference here is the 30 most populated incoporated places in the U.S. (also know as "city proper") per the 2000 Census:

1 New York city NY 8,008,278
2 Los Angeles city CA 3,694,820
3 Chicago city IL 2,896,016
4 Houston city TX 1,953,631
5 Philadelphia city2 PA 1,517,550
6 Phoenix city AZ 1,321,045
7 San Diego city CA 1,223,400
8 Dallas city TX 1,188,580
9 San Antonio city TX 1,144,646
10 Detroit city MI 951,270
11 San Jose city CA 894,943
12 Indianapolis city IN 791,926
13 San Francisco city CA 776,733
14 Jacksonville city FL 735,617
15 Columbus city OH 711,470
16 Austin city TX 656,562
17 Baltimore city MD 651,154
18 Memphis city TN 650,100
19 Milwaukee city WI 596,974
20 Boston city MA 589,141
21 Washington city DC 572,059
22 Nashville-Davidson TN 569,891
23 El Paso city TX 563,662
24 Seattle city WA 563,374
25 Denver city CO 554,636
26 Charlotte city NC 540,828
27 Fort Worth city TX 534,694
28 Portland city OR 529,121
29 Oklahoma City city OK 506,132
30 Tucson city AZ 486,699

For your reference here is the 20 most populated metropolitan areas in the U.S. per the 2000 Census:

1 New York--Northern New Jersey--Long Island, NY--NJ--CT--PA CMSA 21,199,865
2 Los Angeles--Riverside--Orange County, CA CMSA 16,373,645
3 Chicago--Gary--Kenosha, IL--IN--WI CMSA 9,157,540 8872
4 Washington--Baltimore, DC--MD--VA--WV CMSA 7,608,070
5 San Francisco--Oakland--San Jose, CA CMSA 7,039,362
6 Philadelphia--Wilmington--Atlantic City, PA--NJ--DE--MD CMSA 6,188,463
7 Boston--Worcester--Lawrence, MA--NH--ME--CT CMSA 5,819,100
8 Detroit--Ann Arbor--Flint, MI CMSA 5,456,428
9 Dallas--Fort Worth, TX CMSA 5,221,801
10 Houston--Galveston--Brazoria, TX CMSA 4,669,571
11 Atlanta, GA MSA 4,112,198
12 Miami--Fort Lauderdale, FL CMSA 3,876,380
13 Seattle--Tacoma--Bremerton, WA CMSA 3,554,760
14 Phoenix--Mesa, AZ MSA 3,251,876
15 Minneapolis--St. Paul, MN--WI MSA 2,968,806
16 Cleveland--Akron, OH CMSA 2,945,831 2,859,644 86,187 3.0%
17 San Diego, CA MSA 2,813,833
18 St. Louis, MO--IL MSA 2,603,607
19 Denver--Boulder--Greeley, CO CMSA 2,581,506
20 San Juan--Caguas--Arecibo, PR CMSA 2,450,292

There is a big difference in the size of the area when comparing these two very different definitions. NYC almost triples in poupulation when discussing the metro area (and includes parts of 3 states), while LA's metro area is more than 4x large than the city itself. Out west the land area of metro areas gets much larger and most metro aread include smalller "edge cities."

For the record, I think almost all of the top 30 cities have at least one I-A or I-AA football team (but I could be wrong), and 19 of the top 20 metro areas also have DI football of some kind (except Puerto Rico).

arranger101
August 18th, 2006, 01:26 PM
Yeah, I knew Jacksonville FL would be on that list...they need one.

UAalum72
August 18th, 2006, 01:56 PM
Yeah, I knew Jacksonville FL would be on that list...they need one.
Jacksonville FL has a I-AA team - Jacksonville U. (PFL)

henfan
August 18th, 2006, 02:36 PM
I don't think UNC-W will, I don't know about the other two.

Absolutely agree. IMO, Wilmo would be the last D-I school in the NC system to add football, even after Greensboro. Their football phobic basketball fans would probably slit their wrists if the school added football. :smiley_wi

aceinthehole
August 18th, 2006, 02:36 PM
What are the I-AA teams in the top 20 metro areas? This is what I could think of.

1 New York--Northern New Jersey--Long Island, NY--NJ--CT--PA CMSA (Columbia, Fordham, Wagner, Hofstra, Stony Brook, Marist, Monmouth, St. Peter's, Sacred Heart)
2 Los Angeles--Riverside--Orange County, CA CMSA (?)
3 Chicago--Gary--Kenosha, IL--IN--WI CMSA (?)
4 Washington--Baltimore, DC--MD--VA--WV CMSA (Georgetown, Howard, Towson, Morgan St)
5 San Francisco--Oakland--San Jose, CA CMSA (?)
6 Philadelphia--Wilmington--Atlantic City, PA--NJ--DE--MD CMSA (Penn, Villanova, LaSalle)
7 Boston--Worcester--Lawrence, MA--NH--ME--CT CMSA (Northeastern, Harvard, Holy Cross)
8 Detroit--Ann Arbor--Flint, MI CMSA (?)
9 Dallas--Fort Worth, TX CMSA (?)
10 Houston--Galveston--Brazoria, TX CMSA (?)
11 Atlanta, GA MSA (?)
12 Miami--Fort Lauderdale, FL CMSA (?)
13 Seattle--Tacoma--Bremerton, WA CMSA (?)
14 Phoenix--Mesa, AZ MSA (Northern Arizona?)
15 Minneapolis--St. Paul, MN--WI MSA (?)
16 Cleveland--Akron, OH CMSA (?)
17 San Diego, CA MSA (San Diego)
18 St. Louis, MO--IL MSA (?)
19 Denver--Boulder--Greeley, CO CMSA (Northern Colorado)
20 San Juan--Caguas--Arecibo, PR CMSA (none)

MYTAPPY
August 18th, 2006, 02:55 PM
Davidson is a IAA program just north of Charlotte. Charlotte is a very rapidly growing area that straddles the boundary between North and South Carolina. It is the financial capital of the Carolinas and suports perhaps as many as 20 Division I programs in both states, as well as the professional team in the area.

A few things. Davidson is in Davidson. I think Davidson is D-II actually. We have two professional teams, not one. A lot of people forget about the Bobcats. :o As far as the discussion of who will likely get football, Charlotte, UNCG, or UNCW...hmmmmm... Well all of them most likley won't but if I had to pick one it would be the Charlotte 49ers. Wow... college football Saturdays at old ass Memorial Stadium: smh :

UAalum72
August 18th, 2006, 03:17 PM
I think Davidson is D-II actually.
No, Division I (Southern Conf. basketball, Pioneer League football)

MYTAPPY
August 18th, 2006, 03:32 PM
No, Division I (Southern Conf. basketball, Pioneer League football)

I always forget about the Pioneer Football League, but who doesn't.:D

StillJonesing
August 18th, 2006, 04:06 PM

Charlotte, NC has the #1 high school team in the nation about 3 or 4 years running. It's not like there aren't some players around. That's why UNCC is so Busch league IMO. A large school that size in a city, that size and no football when they have more than solid basketball support and NFL facilities they could rent if needed.

As far as UNCW and UNCG forget about it. UNCG has zero fan support in any sport, and there were rumblings out of UNCW last year about starting a football team that got struck down pretty quick.

http://www.theseahawk.org/media/storage/paper287/news/2005/11/03/News/Sga-Will.Hold.Meeting.On.Possible.Uncw.Football.Team-1044883.shtml?norewrite200608181714&sourcedomain=www.theseahawk.org

Don't let UNCW fans fool you they WOULD love to have football if they could.

http://www.wwaytv3.com/Global/story.asp?S=4125106

http://www.wwaytv3.com/Global/story.asp?S=1720300

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a187/StillJonesing/4125106_BG1.jpg

Nyghtewynd
August 19th, 2006, 10:01 PM
There isn't anything in the St. Louis area, at least not what I'd call "metro area". SIU-C is probably the closest school, but they're not a STL team by any definition of the word.

Mike Johnson
August 19th, 2006, 11:24 PM
A few things. Davidson is in Davidson. I think Davidson is D-II actually. We have two professional teams, not one. A lot of people forget about the Bobcats. :o As far as the discussion of who will likely get football, Charlotte, UNCG, or UNCW...hmmmmm... Well all of them most likley won't but if I had to pick one it would be the Charlotte 49ers. Wow... college football Saturdays at old ass Memorial Stadium: smh :

Davidson is not Division II, it is IAA. And I didn't say it was in Charlotte, only that it was just north of Charlotte, which is true.