http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/2012/Internet/attendance/WKLYATTENDANCEFCS.HTML

Southern U. Grambling 45980
Alabama St. Tuskegee 27500

FCS Playoffs
Bethune-Cookman Coastal Caro. 5465
Stony Brook Villanova 4905
South Dakota St. Eastern Ill. 4367
Wagner Colgate 3032

What's up with the SWAC beating FCS playoffs teams in attendance numbers? Again the argument has to be that people do not care about the FCS playoffs.

GATA_Eagles
November 25th, 2012, 12:25 PM
What's up with SWAC teams losing to DII teams?

hujo21
November 25th, 2012, 12:31 PM
Eagles, I don't know, ask Alabama State. Jackson State did not lose to a D2 school. Beside what date is the FCS championship game and will it be on ESPN? I know the SWAC Championship game is Dec 8th and will be televised on ESPN U. There will be close to 40,000 people in the stands. How many people will be at the so call FCS championship game?

CB Eagle
November 25th, 2012, 01:27 PM
"So call championship game" ? Are you suggesting that it is not the FCS championship game?

The Moody1
November 25th, 2012, 01:30 PM
Eagles, I don't know, ask Alabama State. Jackson State did not lose to a D2 school. Beside what date is the FCS championship game and will it be on ESPN? I know the SWAC Championship game is Dec 8th and will be televised on ESPN U. There will be close to 40,000 people in the stands. How many people will be at the so call FCS championship game?

The FCS championship game will be on ESPN2 and the fans in attendance will actually be there to watch football not the band.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 25th, 2012, 01:31 PM
"So call championship game" ? Are you suggesting that it is not the FCS championship game?

That's exactly the suggestion.

The better solution would be to remove the SWAC from FCS. They aren't playing for the championship, only their own "bowls".

dgreco
November 25th, 2012, 01:59 PM
For Wagner that is good attendance, especially for stadium size, school size, saturation in the market (of schools), and amount, or lack thereof, coverage for the program. Add in the tragedy of Sandy in the area too.

Nickels
November 25th, 2012, 03:23 PM
I don't want to see anymore trash talk about SHSU's attendance w/ these pitiful numbers floating around.

Cocky
November 25th, 2012, 03:40 PM
Alabama State opened up their new field. It is nice.

McNeese75
November 25th, 2012, 03:51 PM
I don't want to see anymore trash talk about SHSU's attendance w/ these pitiful numbers floating around.

No sh%$ Nickels

Gringer1
November 25th, 2012, 03:54 PM

I have no idea what SHSU's numbers were, but regular season and playoff figures are always very different. Part of it has to do with students being counted as a fraction of a person and stuff like that. If you don't know about this phenomenon, there are plenty of threads sprinkled around that discuss it.

Engineer86
November 25th, 2012, 03:57 PM

FCS Playoffs
Wagner Colgate 3032

What's up with the SWAC beating FCS playoffs teams in attendance numbers? Again the argument has to be that people do not care about the FCS playoffs.

Yea band!

md64179
November 25th, 2012, 08:19 PM
For some reason I don't understand playoff attendance is always down. I know that regular season game are scheduled far in advance, but come on... It's the playoffs

No excuses. Show up for your team

Southern Bison
November 25th, 2012, 08:21 PM

Isn't it more like a marching band field competition and a football game broke out on the field?

clenz
November 25th, 2012, 08:42 PM
Isn't it more like a marching band field competition and a football game broke out on the field?
Yep.

The bands never stop playing, and the officials ignore the "no playing during the play" rules.

I'd be shocked if more than 1/9th of the crowd could actually tell you what happened during the game....yet every single one would have an opinion on the halftime show.

Bisonoline
November 25th, 2012, 08:46 PM
Yep.

The bands never stop playing, and the officials ignore the "no playing during the play" rules.

I'd be shocked if more than 1/9th of the crowd could actually tell you what happened during the game....yet every single one would have an opinion on the halftime show.

Reminds me of UNI this year.

clenz
November 25th, 2012, 08:53 PM
Reminds me of UNI this year.
Don't even get UNI fans started on that.

The band may be the most hated part about game day at UNI.

There was one time coming off of a interception UNI had to literally call a TO because the band was playing as loud as they could right where the team was huddled trying to get the play called quickly. There was 2 or 3 assistant coaches that let a "not-so-nicely worded" lecture go on the band right after that, and I don't remember the band playing again the rest of that game. That type of thing happens more than I'd like to admit.

The band at UNI really does believe people are there to see them, football is just a distraction between songs.

The athletic department tried to redo the seating lay out a couple years ago, which would have involved moving the band to the endzone section, rather than the PREMIUM SEATS they have now, and the director threatened to just pull the band from the football games if that happened.....needless to say they still have the same seats.

Yeah....the band has some of the best seats in the dome (my season tickets are right across from the on the west side and I love them...

http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics32/500/FV/FVEUJMZQRMUMGKV.20120827193940.jpg

It's disgusting really.

wheatstraw78
November 25th, 2012, 10:32 PM
Yep.

And how would you know that? I don't believe UNI has played a HBCU recently. Am I wrong?

Bisonoline
November 25th, 2012, 10:37 PM
Don't even get UNI fans started on that.

The band may be the most hated part about game day at UNI.

There was one time coming off of a interception UNI had to literally call a TO because the band was playing as loud as they could right where the team was huddled trying to get the play called quickly. There was 2 or 3 assistant coaches that let a "not-so-nicely worded" lecture go on the band right after that, and I don't remember the band playing again the rest of that game. That type of thing happens more than I'd like to admit.

The band at UNI really does believe people are there to see them, football is just a distraction between songs.

The athletic department tried to redo the seating lay out a couple years ago, which would have involved moving the band to the endzone section, rather than the PREMIUM SEATS they have now, and the director threatened to just pull the band from the football games if that happened.....needless to say they still have the same seats.

Yeah....the band has some of the best seats in the dome (my season tickets are right across from the on the west side and I love them...

http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics32/500/FV/FVEUJMZQRMUMGKV.20120827193940.jpg

It's disgusting really.

Wow they let the band director pull that crap? Like whats the band going to do if they dont play at the FB game in the fall? Should have called his bluff.
The question is why does the band director let the band play during the entire game?

DSUrocks07
November 25th, 2012, 11:22 PM

If the FCS championship game had three weeks to prepare I'm sure they would get 40,000 people as well. xcoffeex

Have fun in the "rematch bowl". Since UAPB and JSU already played this season. In a sane world, 9-2 Ark-Pine Bluff would be the SWAC champs and a playoff participant. But that's not how they do business in the SWAC world...they have to play a team that they've already beaten, and beat them again.

Round robin...with a championship game...

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/250x250/9114334.jpg

If you want to be FBS then go FBS then.

BisonBacker
November 26th, 2012, 06:23 AM
I have to ask the Jack fans what the heck is up with those pitiful numbers? With numbers like that it begs the question why bother to do any additions to the football stadium? Wow that is pathetic. Players have to wonder when they look up in the stands and see all the empty seats. Sad.

GSUsTALON
November 26th, 2012, 06:40 AM
FCS NC attendance

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Division_I_Football_Championship

ITmonarch10
November 26th, 2012, 06:55 AM
FCS NC attendance

Marshall used to be a great host for the FCS championship. I wonder why App St\CAA teams never tried to host a FCS championship.

Eaglesrus
November 26th, 2012, 07:26 AM
Marshall used to be a great host for the FCS championship. I wonder why App St\CAA teams never tried to host a FCS championship.

I can't imagine App State risking it, especially now that it's played in January. Boone is fairly isolated, and if App State wasn't in it my guess is that there's a good chance that attendance might be<5,000.

katstrapper
November 26th, 2012, 08:16 AM
No sh%$ Nickels

I am really surprised at the attendance for the Stony Brook/ Villanova game. Wasnt that game at SB?

3rd Coast Tiger
November 26th, 2012, 08:28 AM

The better solution would be to remove the SWAC from FCS. They aren't playing for the championship, only their own "bowls".

How's that online petition working out?

3rd Coast Tiger
November 26th, 2012, 08:36 AM
If the FCS championship game had three weeks to prepare I'm sure they would get 40,000 people as well. xcoffeex

Have fun in the "rematch bowl". Since UAPB and JSU already played this season. In a sane world, 9-2 Ark-Pine Bluff would be the SWAC champs and a playoff participant. But that's not how they do business in the SWAC world...they have to play a team that they've already beaten, and beat them again.

Stanford and UCLA though that was funny.

ST_Lawson
November 26th, 2012, 08:58 AM
FCS NC attendance

So, if you look at the highest attended championship games, the top 4 had Marshall in them and were played at Marshall. Then you've got Youngstown State vs Boise State at Marshall (YSU is ~4.5 hours from Marshall). After that, it's a couple of games involving Georgia Southern...in Statesboro, a couple of games involving App State at Chattanooga (just under a 5 hour drive), and then last year's game in Frisco involving Sam Houston State (~3.5 hours away) and NDSU (with fans that travel well no matter where the game is....especially a big game like this).

Alternately, the worst attended NC games were in Tacoma, WA between GSU and Arkansas State, then GSU and Furman. The closest of any of those teams to Tacoma is Arkansas State, which is about 36 hours if you drive.

So, it looks like the locations of the championship game teams in relation to the location of the game site is probably the largest factor in NC game attendance (not surprisingly). If the game is a significant distance away, you really only get the "die-hards" and a few curious people or general FCS fans from the area. If it's close, you'll get a lot more of the casual fans. If you're wanting the highest-attended NC game this year, you'd probably be rooting for a Southland Conference rematch of Central Arkansas (~5.5 hours away from Frisco) and Sam Houston State (~3.5 hours away). Technically possible, but I think UCA would have a much tougher route having to go through GSU, then possibly ODU and Eastern Washington.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 26th, 2012, 09:02 AM
So, if you look at the highest attended championship games, the top 4 had Marshall in them and were played at Marshall. Then you've got Youngstown State vs Boise State at Marshall (YSU is ~4.5 hours from Marshall). After that, it's a couple of games involving Georgia Southern...in Statesboro, a couple of games involving App State at Chattanooga (just under a 5 hour drive), and then last year's game in Frisco involving Sam Houston State (~3.5 hours away) and NDSU (with fans that travel well no matter where the game is....especially a big game like this).

Alternately, the worst attended NC games were in Tacoma, WA between GSU and Arkansas State, then GSU and Furman. The closest of any of those teams to Tacoma is Arkansas State, which is about 36 hours if you drive.

So, it looks like the locations of the championship game teams in relation to the location of the game site is probably the largest factor in NC game attendance (not surprisingly). If the game is a significant distance away, you really only get the "die-hards" and a few curious people or general FCS fans from the area. If it's close, you'll get a lot more of the casual fans. If you're wanting the highest-attended NC game this year, you'd probably be rooting for a Southland Conference rematch of Central Arkansas (~5.5 hours away from Frisco) and Sam Houston State (~3.5 hours away). Technically possible, but I think UCA would have a much tougher route having to go through GSU, then possibly ODU and Eastern Washington.

As many, if not more NDSU fans were at last years NC game as Sam Houston Fans. It sold out. You actually can't get a ticket again this year. The game they DON'T want is probably ODU/EWU which will look a lot like 2 years ago.

md64179
November 26th, 2012, 09:24 AM
I can't imagine App State risking it, especially now that it's played in January. Boone is fairly isolated, and if App State wasn't in it my guess is that there's a good chance that attendance might be<5,000.

Not only that, but the weather in Boone can be horrible in January

DSUrocks07
November 26th, 2012, 09:25 AM
Stanford and UCLA though that was funny.

Stanford and UCLA doesn't play everyone in their conference. The SWAC does.

3rd Coast Tiger
November 26th, 2012, 09:36 AM
Stanford and UCLA doesn't play everyone in their conference. The SWAC does.

Point:

Stanford and UCLA played last weekend in a conference game and will now play each other this weekend for the Pac-12 Championship.

TheRevSFA
November 26th, 2012, 09:54 AM
Playoff attendance is always vastly under reported. SFA vs Nova in 2010 was reported as 4400 yet there had to be about 10-11k at the game.

On a side note, 44,000 people watching a SWAC game is solely because of the band. Don't believe me, and think it's for the quality of SWAC football? See Texas Southern's numbers this season after the band was suspended. They play in a MLS Soccer Stadium and cannot get 1,000 people to show up to a game. Pretty pathetic.

If the SWAC wants to completely ostracize themselves from the FCS by not partaking in the playoffs, then don't try to compare Apples to Oranges...

NoDak 4 Ever
November 26th, 2012, 09:56 AM
Playoff attendance is always vastly under reported. SFA vs Nova in 2010 was reported as 4400 yet there had to be about 10-11k at the game.

On a side note, 44,000 people watching a SWAC game is solely because of the band. Don't believe me, and think it's for the quality of SWAC football? See Texas Southern's numbers this season after the band was suspended. They play in a MLS Soccer Stadium and cannot get 1,000 people to show up to a game. Pretty pathetic.

If the SWAC wants to completely ostracize themselves from the FCS by not partaking in the playoffs, then don't try to compare Apples to Oranges...

Careful Rev. That's apparently a touchy subject.

DSUrocks07
November 26th, 2012, 09:59 AM
Point:

Stanford and UCLA played last weekend in a conference game and will now play each other this weekend for the Pac-12 Championship.

Counterpoint:

The SWAC has 10 members, and plays a 9 game round robin schedule.
The Pac-12 has 12 members and plays an unbalanced schedule, necessitating the use of a championship game to determine their place in the Bowl system.

The SWAC has a championship game, just because.

walliver
November 26th, 2012, 10:01 AM
First round playoff attendance is usually bad.

1) students are home for Thanksgiving.
2) many alumni have family commitments.
3) the play-in games involve a lot of non-power conference teams that don't generally draw well to begin with.

Also, the Bayou Classic is a week-end long party in New Orleans which just happens to have a football game in the middle of it.

wheatstraw78
November 26th, 2012, 10:06 AM
Counterpoint:

The SWAC has 10 members, and plays a 9 game round robin schedule.
The Pac-12 has 12 members and plays an unbalanced schedule, necessitating the use of a championship game to determine their place in the Bowl system.

The SWAC has a championship game, just because.

You should be a shame of yourself. Coming over here and behaving like this. xsmhx

Lehigh Football Nation
November 26th, 2012, 10:12 AM
Careful. Your jealousy is showing.

Let's call the FCS playoff attendance figures for what they are.

Wagner - 100% capacity - Colgate fans made the trip to support their team - 50/50 split of fans - 1st-ever FCS playoff game novelty

SDSU - after two huge rivalry games, Eastern Illinois sandwiched between a potential rematch with NDSU - can't blame bad attendance from home side

SBU - Nova has never, ever, ever traveled well, not sure why SBU didn't draw better

BCU - hangover after Florida Classic, still a pretty long haul from Conway, SC on a week's notice

Also:

* 1st round games are now basically like PIG games for championship. Little reason to bid on a one-round home playoff game if you're going to be shipped to Eastern Washington the following week, unless you're a team like Wagner who are in the playoffs for the first time since dirt.

* They're set up on a week's notice, on the worst weekend of the year for attendance, unless you're like the Turkey Day/Bayou Classic where the entire season is predicated on these games and people schedule attendance at them back in August.

* In many cases they're the week after the biggest games of the season, like B-CU, almost guaranteeing a hardcores-only audience

DSUrocks07
November 26th, 2012, 10:28 AM
You should be a shame of yourself. Coming over here and behaving like this. xsmhx

xrolleyesx

You haven't added anything of value to either counter or validate my point. xblahx

This is the mentality I'm talking about. Backwards thinking. "its the way its always been done, don't question it." xcrazyx

DSUrocks07
November 26th, 2012, 10:30 AM

3) the play-in games involve a lot of non-power conference teams that don't generally draw well to begin with.

Also, the Bayou Classic is a week-end long party in New Orleans which just happens to have a football game in the middle of it.

That is the biggest point. The SWAC approaches the marketing of its product in a much different fashion than the rest of FCS.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 26th, 2012, 10:30 AM
SDSU - after two huge rivalry games, Eastern Illinois sandwiched between a potential rematch with NDSU - can't blame bad attendance from home side

This isn't necessarily a function of fan fatigue, it is entirely the Thanksgiving holiday. Brookings is a ghost town when break is on. Everybody scatters.

PAllen
November 26th, 2012, 11:53 AM
That is the biggest point. The SWAC approaches the marketing of its product in a much different fashion than the rest of FCS.

And whether you like the product or not, the SWAC is much more successful at marketing said product that the rest of FCS. Perhaps we should try to learn from their success rather than attempt to belittle it. I'd love for there to be 44,000 in Yankee stadium for #150. I'll be there with my wife and kids for their first Lehigh-Lafayettte game, but I doubt the game clears 25,000.

TheRevSFA
November 26th, 2012, 11:55 AM
And whether you like the product or not, the SWAC is much more successful at marketing said product that the rest of FCS. Perhaps we should try to learn from their success rather than attempt to belittle it. I'd love for there to be 44,000 in Yankee stadium for #150. I'll be there with my wife and kids for their first Lehigh-Lafayettte game, but I doubt the game clears 25,000.

So perfect, here's how we advertise for the Patriot League (specifically Lehigh-Lafayette)

Let's take away all of the rights for PL students and alumni for say..100 years.

Then let's call the PL schools "HWCU"..and then..let's cut most of their funding.

Now, the PL will refuse to play anyone outside of their conference and have a championship game, and will have their advertising be "The battle of the bands at halftime"

There you go..44,000 for Lehigh and Lafayette..oh wait..you need to get people in your bands who have soul.

PAllen
November 26th, 2012, 12:11 PM
PERFECT!!!

Oh wait, Lafayette doesn't have a band. xoopsx

hujo21
November 26th, 2012, 12:26 PM

Didn't the MEAC champ just got beaten by a 7-4 club? The MEAC does not need to be talking on the thread.

UNHFan
November 26th, 2012, 12:34 PM
And how many SWAC players will get degrees... Those schools are a joke! The whole conference is at the bottom of the graduating rate of D1

hujo21
November 26th, 2012, 12:34 PM

That's not true. Texas Southern didn't have a great football team this. And not everyone goes to a SWAC football game just for the bands. There a lot of people who come for the game as well. You need to stop this lie.

TheRevSFA
November 26th, 2012, 12:36 PM
That's not true. Texas Southern didn't have a great football team this. And not everyone goes to a SWAC football game just for the bands. There a lot of people who come for the game as well. You need to stop this lie.

Quit advertising your bands then

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IFHl0RQBUM

hujo21
November 26th, 2012, 12:45 PM
So perfect, here's how we advertise for the Patriot League (specifically Lehigh-Lafayette)

Let's take away all of the rights for PL students and alumni for say..100 years.

Then let's call the PL schools "HWCU"..and then..let's cut most of their funding.

Now, the PL will refuse to play anyone outside of their conference and have a championship game, and will have their advertising be "The battle of the bands at halftime"

There you go..44,000 for Lehigh and Lafayette..oh wait..you need to get people in your bands who have soul.

The SWAC has no problems playing outside of it conference. Most of the "HWCU" don't want to play HBCUs. And you need to understand, many of the battle of the bands events are for the purpose of generating scholarship money for the participating schools.

TheRevSFA
November 26th, 2012, 12:47 PM
The SWAC has no problems playing outside of it conference. Most of the "HWCU" don't want to play HBCUs. And you need to understand, many of the battle of the bands events are for the purpose of generating scholarship money for the participating schools.

...by bringing attendance.

Come on man. Admit that the halftime show is just as important to bringing fans into SWAC games as the football.

Hell I heard SFA is playing a SWAC team next year in Nac and I hope whomever it is brings their band.

hujo21
November 26th, 2012, 12:52 PM
And how many SWAC players will get degrees... Those schools are a joke! The whole conference is at the bottom of the graduating rate of D1

And how many UNH athletes will get their degrees? Most of you guys on this board are ignorant. SWAC players do graduate and go on to be productive citizens of America. Many go to the NFL, NBA, CFL, etc.. So stop your ignorance HBCU.

hujo21
November 26th, 2012, 12:57 PM
Quit advertising your bands then

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IFHl0RQBUM

Dude, in any of the SWAC promos for the SWAC championship game, do you see anything about the bands. No they talk about the game itself. Stop trying to selectively finding stuffs to promote your ideology.

There is nothing wrong in advertising your schools band for a commercial.

hujo21
November 26th, 2012, 01:02 PM

Come on man. Admit that the halftime show is just as important to bringing fans into SWAC games as the football.

Hell I heard SFA is playing a SWAC team next year in Nac and I hope whomever it is brings their band.

The halftime show is there to entertain and nothing else. It is the same at all HWCU wait HWCU band do not entertain. They are there to entertain. Why do you hope the SWAC team bring their band?

TheRevSFA
November 26th, 2012, 01:04 PM
The halftime show is there to entertain and nothing else. It is the same at all HWCU wait HWCU band do not entertain. They are there to entertain. Why do you hope the SWAC team bring their band?

Actually our band is pretty damn good.

I hope the swac team we play brings their band because their football tends to be a joke

Gringer1
November 26th, 2012, 01:07 PM
The grammar police are shaking their heads and crying over the amount of paperwork this hujo guy is going to make them fill out on the arrest record.

TheRevSFA
November 26th, 2012, 01:07 PM
In point: if the swac wants to be part of FCS, then move the classics and play in the playoffs. If not, then don't, but don't start a thread as a swac fan boasting about attendance

It's sad that your conference has to have a seperate but not equal championship game which hamstrings the teams that could have gone far in the FCS playoffs.

TheRevSFA
November 26th, 2012, 01:19 PM
Oh and BTW to answer one of your initial questions - the FCS championship game is on January 5th, 2013 and it's on ESPN2...not ESPNU

PAllen
November 26th, 2012, 01:25 PM
Oh and BTW to answer one of your initial questions - the FCS championship game is on January 5th, 2013 and it's on ESPN2...not ESPNU

And blacked out on ESPN3 for all but Hawaii and Guam.

ccd494
November 26th, 2012, 01:40 PM
And how many UNH athletes will get their degrees? Most of you guys on this board are ignorant. SWAC players do graduate and go on to be productive citizens of America. Many go to the NFL, NBA, CFL, etc.. So stop your ignorance HBCU.

Ha.

CAA vs. SWAC, graduation rates, football, in order, classes entering 2005:

CAA-Richmond: 94%
CAA-William & Mary: 90%
CAA-Villanova: 89%
CAA-New Hampshire: 87%
CAA-Towson: 87%
CAA-Maine: 73%
SWAC-Alabama State: 72%
CAA-James Madison: 62%
SWAC-Alcorn State: 59%
SWAC- Southern: 58%
CAA-Delaware: 57%
CAA-Rhode Island: 56%
SWAC-Jackson State: 52%
SWAC- Prairie View A&M: 52%
SWAC- Alabama A&M: 45%
SWAC- Arkansas Pine Bluff: 42%
SWAC- Grambling State: 38%
SWAC- Texas Southern: 38%
SWAC- Mississippi Valley State: 33% !!!!!!!!!!!

Catbooster
November 26th, 2012, 04:04 PM
How are they not having problems with APR?

Or are they, and I just haven't been paying attention?

DSUrocks07
November 26th, 2012, 04:12 PM
How are they not having problems with APR?

Or are they, and I just haven't been paying attention?

Both the SWAC and MEAC are having problems with APR scores. And with the new 930 minimum required score coming down the pike from the NCAA...the whole lot of us are in trouble.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 26th, 2012, 04:23 PM
Both the SWAC and MEAC are having problems with APR scores. And with the new 930 minimum required score coming down the pike from the NCAA...the whole lot of us are in trouble.

Speak for yourself. ;)

http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=205459086

"Under the direction of head coach Craig Bohl, North Dakota State led the Missouri Valley Football Conference with an APR of 981 during the 2010-11 academic year. The high-water mark for NDSU football was an APR of 983 for the 2007-08 academic year."

DSUrocks07
November 26th, 2012, 04:40 PM
Speak for yourself. ;)

http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=205459086

"Under the direction of head coach Craig Bohl, North Dakota State led the Missouri Valley Football Conference with an APR of 981 during the 2010-11 academic year. The high-water mark for NDSU football was an APR of 983 for the 2007-08 academic year."

I was.... :x :(

Nice work on those APR scores tho. :thumbup:

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

NoDak 4 Ever
November 26th, 2012, 04:55 PM

The Lehigh guys would say it's because NDSU is easy.

Nickels
November 26th, 2012, 05:22 PM
As many, if not more NDSU fans were at last years NC game as Sam Houston Fans. It sold out. You actually can't get a ticket again this year. The game they DON'T want is probably ODU/EWU which will look a lot like 2 years ago.
There were definitely more NDSU fans at the game, I would say it was somewhere between 55-60% for NDSU. More NC tickets will be available Dec. 14 (and of course from scalpers).

Big Dawg
November 26th, 2012, 05:47 PM
So everything on this site becomes PWC vs. HBCU...every time...how does that always happen?

DSUrocks07
November 26th, 2012, 05:48 PM

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2011/may/25/ncaa-concerned-poor-apr-results-swac-meac-schools/

Big Dawg
November 26th, 2012, 05:51 PM
Yep.

See it's these uneducated opinions that annoy me...first of all, SWAC bands receive fines and suspensions(and yes, penalties) if their bands play after the offensive team breaks the huddle. As a matter of fact, after the third infraction, the band will be suspended for the rest of the season.

So the bands "never stop playing" and the officials ignore the "no playing during the play rules" are false.

Speak on truth...not emotion

NoDak 4 Ever
November 26th, 2012, 05:54 PM
http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2011/may/25/ncaa-concerned-poor-apr-results-swac-meac-schools/

But...but....

Most of you guys on this board are ignorant. SWAC players do graduate and go on to be productive citizens of America. Many go to the NFL, NBA, CFL, etc.. So stop your ignorance HBCU.

http://cutestuff.co/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/cute-cat-laughing.jpg

TheRevSFA
November 26th, 2012, 06:05 PM
So everything on this site becomes PWC vs. HBCU...every time...how does that always happen?

Read the initial post.

It's not against HBCUs. It's the SWAC

GAD
November 26th, 2012, 06:43 PM

Well aparently Southland fans love SWAC football too, most of the attendance records for SLC stadiums were set while hosting SWAC teams. SWAC gets more SLC folks out than your teams do

UNHFan
November 26th, 2012, 06:45 PM
UNH is now #1 and holding it strong for the last few years only competing with Notre Dame and Stanford
The SWAC? can be scene on the show Bait Car

Horrible!! lets fix it rather then debate it!

Ha.

TheRevSFA
November 26th, 2012, 06:54 PM
Well aparently Southland fans love SWAC football too, most of the attendance records for SLC stadiums were set while hosting SWAC teams. SWAC gets more SLC folks out than your teams do

Not sfa's. Sam's was but that was because of air McNair.

Plus we want to see the bands. I mean when Lamar (who sucks) shuts out PVAM (who blows) we want to see the band

GAD
November 26th, 2012, 06:59 PM
Not sfa's. Sam's was but that was because of air McNair.

Plus we want to see the bands. I mean when Lamar (who sucks) shuts out PVAM (who blows) we want to see the band
Sam went 11-0 last year and drew about 8k at home folks and only sold out there semi final game they certainly ain't worried about football in the SLC

TheRevSFA
November 26th, 2012, 07:34 PM
Sam went 11-0 last year and drew about 8k at home folks and only sold out there semi final game they certainly ain't worried about football in the SLC

Oh I got you. So since the swac can draw 40k to classics but only 900 to other games (Texas southern I'm looking at you) they are the end all-be all in college football and the fact that they do not play for a NC is because that doesn't matter to them, only the swac championship

3rd Coast Tiger
November 26th, 2012, 07:40 PM
Simple, we have an extremely fickle fair-weather fanbase. No excuses. When we're winning attendance is decent but when we lose it sucks.

How was Nichols State attendance this season?

GAD
November 26th, 2012, 07:43 PM
Oh I got you. So since the swac can draw 40k to classics but only 900 to other games (Texas southern I'm looking at you) they are the end all-be all in college football and the fact that they do not play for a NC is because that doesn't matter to them, only the swac championship
You do realize a SWAC school holds the record for the highest average attendance in FCS?
And please judging SWAC attendance using Texas Southern or PVAMU is like judging the SEC using Ole Miss and Vandy

TheRevSFA
November 26th, 2012, 07:45 PM
[QUOTE=3rd Coast Tiger;1902477]Simple, we have an extremely fickle fair-weather fanbase. No excuses. When we're winning attendance is decent but when we lose it sucks.

How was Nichols State attendance this season?[/QUOTE

Better than Texas Southerns

gsu_paintballer
November 26th, 2012, 07:47 PM
SWAC Motto: "We suck, but a lot of people watch us do it!"

GAD
November 26th, 2012, 07:51 PM
[QUOTE=3rd Coast Tiger;1902477]Simple, we have an extremely fickle fair-weather fanbase. No excuses. When we're winning attendance is decent but when we lose it sucks.

How was Nichols State attendance this season?[/QUOTE

Better than Texas Southerns
btw The attendance record at Nichols was set by a SWAC school too

TheRevSFA
November 26th, 2012, 07:56 PM
[QUOTE=TheRevSFA;1902479]

That's not saying much.

Nickels
November 26th, 2012, 08:02 PM
I'm surprised the SWAC team showed up, they usually screw over anyone they have a home/home contract with. A lot of integrity in that conference.xlolx

wheatstraw78
November 26th, 2012, 08:50 PM
xrolleyesx

You haven't added anything of value to either counter or validate my point. xblahx

This is the mentality I'm talking about. Backwards thinking. "its the way its always been done, don't question it." xcrazyx

DSUrocks07, I mean no disrespect. I actual like reading your post and look forward to your comments. I have an account on the MEACZONE message board. So I am familiar with you and several other posters. While your points are valid, more often than not, the posters on this board respond with insults concerning HBCU's. Come on now, how can you not notice.

clenz
November 26th, 2012, 09:11 PM
See it's these uneducated opinions that annoy me...first of all, SWAC bands receive fines and suspensions(and yes, penalties) if their bands play after the offensive team breaks the huddle. As a matter of fact, after the third infraction, the band will be suspended for the rest of the season.

So the bands "never stop playing" and the officials ignore the "no playing during the play rules" are false.

Speak on truth...not emotionI've watched games on TV, and unless the tv stations are pumping the band into the broadcast or a free lance band bought tickets to the game.....someone is playing.

clenz
November 26th, 2012, 09:14 PM
And how would you know that? I don't believe UNI has played a HBCU recently. Am I wrong?
Tried to this past season....until the ****ed us over so hard it made us wish for a "legitimate rape"....

If you haven't heard the story let me know...I'll gladly retell it.

Let's just say I hope the SSU football team loses every game for the next 20 years by 60 points and the athletic director gets fired and never gets another job.

clenz
November 26th, 2012, 09:25 PM
Wow they let the band director pull that crap? Like whats the band going to do if they dont play at the FB game in the fall? Should have called his bluff.
The question is why does the band director let the band play during the entire game?
The problem at UNI is the fact that the band actually has a decent following....not great...but decent. It's 240ish members, and been around for 120 years. They think of themselves - as the band PA says - as the "Pride and spirit of Panther Nation". They have their own website, own cd's (put out 7 in the last decade), etc... Apparently they are one of the most important parts of the university....or so they want us to believe.

There would be outrage if the band was no longer part of the game day experience.

Sadly, the band knows this and uses it as leverage. There isn't much that can be done.

They've been talked to numerous times at the fact that they play too long between plays, at half time, and during pre-game....yet after years of nothing changing they still can't get it right.

The pre-game routine for UNI football (warm ups, band portion, entrance, etc...) has literally been the same for well over a decade, if not longer. Yet the band can't get their pre-game show timed right. They take a couple minutes to long, including some of the worst "traditional UNI cheers" along the way which have zero participation in and don't happen anywhere on campus (EVER) except during the stupid pre-game routine...also they play the Alma-matar pre-game? Freaking really? Play a song that gets the crowd pumped up, not one that sounds like a toddler lullaby to get them to ****ing sleep. They get talked too about the fact they took WAY to long, then they rush through the routine the next week and leave 3 minutes of literally nothing before the team comes onto the field. THE ****ING TIMING HAS NEVER ****ING CHANGED! GET IT THE **** RIGHT! The same **** happens at half time. They are still on the field and the kickers for both teams are out trying to warm up..

If they would understand they don't need to play after every damn play, and they should be done playing by the time the play clock reads 23 seconds, it might be okay. Sadly that will NEVER happen.

Also, the band knows the university won't do anything about it so they have no reason to change.

Sonic98
November 30th, 2012, 08:55 AM

FCS Playoffs
Wagner Colgate 3032

Playoff games are a lot like Bowl Games. You don't know who is playing until the last minute. Also, you're comparing a game in BCU's stadium to one in New Orleans and a very pro-football city in Alabama. Both these games include state rivals where the opponents are known before the season even starts.

Sonic98
November 30th, 2012, 08:57 AM
What's up with SWAC teams losing to DII teams?

For whatever reason, no matter who the coaches and players are Tuskegee always plays Alabama State well. I think it's just a rivalry game, and the teams have a lot of familiar players. Also, I think Tuskegee gets a lot of players who might usually go to a Bama State and Alabama A&M. Plus, Bama State has kinda fallen off from early in the season. I think they lost some fire and confidence after losing to Jackson State.

Sonic98
November 30th, 2012, 09:01 AM
The FCS championship game will be on ESPN2 and the fans in attendance will actually be there to watch football not the band.

Here we go with this same BS. Anyone who honestly think people don't go to or watch the Bayou Classic, Southern Heritage Classic, Magic City Classic, or Turkey Day to see one team or the other win just doesn't know what they're talking about. And I actually don't think the attendance will be that high for the SCG. If it is it will be because JSU has a big following and that's a pro-football city.

Sonic98
November 30th, 2012, 09:03 AM

The SCG is not set it stone. It can be done away with one day, and I think it will. Not many are in favor of it anymore. And it's not the whole SWAC who at fault, it's 3 schools: Southern, Grambling, and Alabama State.

Sonic98
November 30th, 2012, 09:58 AM
Yep.

Yes, why can't people just be happy with whatever positives they have going for themselves and give someone else credit for their positives?

Ha.

It's like they say players gone play. Haters gone hate, and that's just the game. Most of you don't know what you're talking about. Texas Southern's football team is terrible. There attendance was bound to go down anyway. Plus, their band doesn't really have much of a following anyway. All the bad news coming out of that school, they were going to lose fan support anyway As for attendance for everyone else, if people only want to see the bands why do most of us see a huge drop in average attendance in seasons where the teams are not that good. And why is it that the teams that usually have the best attendance are the ones who have traditionally won more than other teams in the SWAC? Even the Classics suffer when both teams are not good outside of the two big in-state Classics the Bayou and the Magic City. All this stuff about about the bands and people not caring about who wins is just a cop out and people trying to rationalize why fans love to support their school or local or regional universities. Ole Miss and Mississippi state usually had been at the bottom of the SEC. Would people down talk their fans for going to games in numbers as big as LSU or BAMA even if they went winless? No they would applaud them for still supporting their teams, it's the same with pro teams who rarely win. We have no delusions that our teams are as good as the FCS powerhouses, but why try to look down on people who just want to support their favorite school. I'm extremely dissatisfied with the state of SWAC football and SWAC coaches, but I'm still going to Jackson State games.

As for the bands, no one ever said the bands were not important, but the bands are just one aspect of game weekend. They're not the only reason people come, but why hate on us because we have another tool to attract people to our games and schools. A lot of people go to sporting events for more than just who wins or loses, and that's their personal preference. Why single us out? Why hate because we make an event out of the Classics? You should give some credit for schools earning a little extra money for their schools and bringing a little economic boost to the city the games are played in. I don't see anyone faulting FBS schools or cities surrounding the minor bowls with events and attractions. And our bands understand the rules, but the rules are something relatively new. It has nothing to do with not caring about the game. The problem is the officials play favorites and don't enforce to rules evenly or fairly. One school might be pretty much allowed to play at will. Another might get a warning when they're playing soft, the teams are at the other end of the field not affected by the band, only one section like the percussion or tubas is playing, or the band is just singing and chanting. If you're not going to have a standard for enforcing a rule, you're going to have problems. I'm not saying we're perfect. A lot of us do need to do a better job of paying attention to the game as well as being more selective on when and what we play, but all the schools are working to improve.

As for academics there are many reasons for the issues at SWAC schools in sports and otherwise.. First, a lot of the schools are struggling like Alcorn, UAPB, and Valley. You have a lot of people going here who are first generation college students or have never been away from home long. We all have a huge percentage of students who return to a local college by junior year. Also, most of us get students who are on the borderline academically and athletically before they even come here. We get a lot of students and athletes who might usually go to community colleges or lower division sports schools. A lot of our students simply just "wash out."

TheRevSFA
November 30th, 2012, 10:13 AM
Yes, why can't people just be happy with whatever positives they have going for themselves and give someone else credit for their positives?

It's like they say players gone play. Haters gone hate, and that's just the game. Most of you don't know what you're talking about. Texas Southern's football team is terrible. There attendance was bound to go down anyway. Plus, their band doesn't really have much of a following anyway. All the bad news coming out of that school, they were going to lose fan support anyway As for attendance for everyone else, if people only want to see the bands why do most of us see a huge drop in average attendance in seasons where the teams are not that good. And why is it that the teams that usually have the best attendance are the ones who have traditionally won more than other teams in the SWAC? Even the Classics suffer when both teams are not good outside of the two big in-state Classics the Bayou and the Magic City. All this stuff about about the bands and people not caring about who wins is just a cop out and people trying to rationalize why fans love to support their school or local or regional universities. Ole Miss and Mississippi state usually had been at the bottom of the SEC. Would people down talk their fans for going to games in numbers as big as LSU or BAMA even if they went winless? No they would applaud them for still supporting their teams, it's the same with pro teams who rarely win. We have no delusions that our teams are as good as the FCS powerhouses, but why try to look down on people who just want to support their favorite school. I'm extremely dissatisfied with the state of SWAC football and SWAC coaches, but I'm still going to Jackson State games.

As for the bands, no one ever said the bands were not important, but the bands are just one aspect of game weekend. They're not the only reason people come, but why hate on us because we have another tool to attract people to our games and schools. A lot of people go to sporting events for more than just who wins or loses, and that's their personal preference. Why single us out? Why hate because we make an event out of the Classics? You should give some credit for schools earning a little extra money for their schools and bringing a little economic boost to the city the games are played in. I don't see anyone faulting FBS schools or cities surrounding the minor bowls with events and attractions. And our bands understand the rules, but the rules are something relatively new. It has nothing to do with not caring about the game. The problem is the officials play favorites and don't enforce to rules evenly or fairly. One school might be pretty much allowed to play at will. Another might get a warning when they're playing soft, the teams are at the other end of the field not affected by the band, only one section like the percussion or tubas is playing, or the band is just singing and chanting. If you're not going to have a standard for enforcing a rule, you're going to have problems. I'm not saying we're perfect. A lot of us do need to do a better job of paying attention to the game as well as being more selective on when and what we play, but all the schools are working to improve.

As for academics there are many reasons for the issues at SWAC schools in sports and otherwise.. First, a lot of the schools are struggling like Alcorn, UAPB, and Valley. You have a lot of people going here who are first generation college students or have never been away from home long. We all have a huge percentage of students who return to a local college by junior year. Also, most of us get students who are on the borderline academically and athletically before they even come here. We get a lot of students and athletes who might usually go to community colleges or lower division sports schools. A lot of our students simply just "wash out."

Point taken...I'll retract my statements then

Sonic98
November 30th, 2012, 10:19 AM
In point: if the swac wants to be part of FCS, then move the classics and play in the playoffs. If not, then don't, but don't start a thread as a swac fan boasting about attendance

It's sad that your conference has to have a seperate but not equal championship game which hamstrings the teams that could have gone far in the FCS playoffs.

The SWAC as a whole wants to be part of the playoffs, but there are just 3 schools who don't that have decided for the rest of us. Also, FCS doesn't want us in the playoffs. Think about it. The first round of the FCS playoffs never have decent attendance. It's during Thanksgiving weekend. Starting the playoffs a week later who be on benefit to everyone. The SWAC could play. The first week would probably have better attendance because seriously Thanksgiving weekend is a huge travel conflict. If the SWAC were to host a game as BCU did, the attendance would be drastically better, especially if it were JSU, SU, or Bama State. I think they JSU-Alcorn game showed that Alcorn might be a good host as well. It's a Win-Win for everyone.

Many of us have APR problems, but we are working on it. We don't want to lose scholarships, games, and post-season play. I think if we were playoff eligible, a lot of schools would be more aggressive in going after APR improvements.

Simple, we have an extremely fickle fair-weather fanbase. No excuses. When we're winning attendance is decent but when we lose it sucks.

How was Nichols State attendance this season?

Wow fair-weather fans that don't come when the team is not good!?!? Wait I thought TxSU people only came for the band. Seriously if that's the case PV would have had packed houses those years they never won a game. Maybe the Classics are an attendance anomaly, but why hate because we found a way to have a great weekend for our fans?

SWAC Motto: "We suck, but a lot of people watch us do it!"

No one ever said we had the strongest teams, but why hate on fans who have a love for certain schools and want to support them? People keep posting that certain games are made to be an event. So what!?! What's wrong with a football game bring tax money to a city? If these city officials had any sense, they embrace these Classics and have way more involvement from local businesses. They'd help advertise the game to help themselves advertise their city. So, what's wrong with taking a trip to New Orleans, Memphis, Charlotte, or Atlanta? What's wrong with going to a sporting even just to have a good time with friends? What wrong with traveling to see a game as well as a concert or comedy show?

The problem at UNI is the fact that the band actually has a decent following....not great...but decent. It's 240ish members, and been around for 120 years. They think of themselves - as the band PA says - as the "Pride and spirit of Panther Nation". They have their own website, own cd's (put out 7 in the last decade), etc... Apparently they are one of the most important parts of the university....or so they want us to believe.

There would be outrage if the band was no longer part of the game day experience.

Sadly, the band knows this and uses it as leverage. There isn't much that can be done.

They've been talked to numerous times at the fact that they play too long between plays, at half time, and during pre-game....yet after years of nothing changing they still can't get it right.

The pre-game routine for UNI football (warm ups, band portion, entrance, etc...) has literally been the same for well over a decade, if not longer. Yet the band can't get their pre-game show timed right. They take a couple minutes to long, including some of the worst "traditional UNI cheers" along the way which have zero participation in and don't happen anywhere on campus (EVER) except during the stupid pre-game routine...also they play the Alma-matar pre-game? Freaking really? Play a song that gets the crowd pumped up, not one that sounds like a toddler lullaby to get them to ****ing sleep. They get talked too about the fact they took WAY to long, then they rush through the routine the next week and leave 3 minutes of literally nothing before the team comes onto the field. THE ****ING TIMING HAS NEVER ****ING CHANGED! GET IT THE **** RIGHT! The same **** happens at half time. They are still on the field and the kickers for both teams are out trying to warm up..

If they would understand they don't need to play after every damn play, and they should be done playing by the time the play clock reads 23 seconds, it might be okay. Sadly that will NEVER happen.

Also, the band knows the university won't do anything about it so they have no reason to change.

Ok what's wrong with people liking their band? The problem is the band's respect for the game. I'm not going to hate because they're popular and have CDs out. The band just needs to respect the game, and that is something most of us in the SWAC and MEAC try to do. We're not perfect, and we could improve in that area, but seriously we don't go into games saying F'K the team.

Sonic98
November 30th, 2012, 11:18 AM
Now, I will say this. Some of the critics of the SWAC have some valid points: We do need to improve academically and from an APR standpoint, we do need to improve our product on both football and basketball, we need to drop the SCG and try to send teams to the playoffs, some of our schools' bands need to improve their focus on the actual game.

That being said, no one is perfect. We all have SOMETHING we could improve in. And many of our schools do have some individual programs and departments that are pretty good. I don't think the SWAC should disband or leave FCS. I don't think we should stop having Classics or build other events around games. Personally I'm not a fan of the SWAC in it's current state. These games on the same day as the playoffs start, never playing OOC FCS(barely even against the MEAC) games, an not being eligible for the playoffs are just a deal breaker for me. In my dream scenario, Jackson State and the 3 other SWAC schools that really want to improve their program and be playoff caliber one day would leave the SWAC and form a conference with TnSU and 5 mid-level FCS teams not from the MEAC. Then we would have it all: Playing good OOC and FCS games, able to have our Classic Games, able to go to the playoffs, and cable to keep some rivalry games.

McNeese72
November 30th, 2012, 12:41 PM

Not true for McNeese, though.

Doc

J-State
November 30th, 2012, 01:53 PM
The whole SWAC fans attend the games for the band is asinine. This year, Jackson State and Southern drew only 20k for its game in Jackson. These schools have probably the 2 largest fanbases of all FCS, and 2 of the best bands of all HBCUs. In the 80s and 90s, this same game always drew upward of 60k in Jackson. The decline isn't because of the bands - our fans are smart enough to know good football when they see it.

If this were the case, I'm sure some of YOUR ADs would love to have 25k folks paying $20-25/game to see a band instead of 7k folks.

JSUBison
November 30th, 2012, 06:08 PM
The whole SWAC fans attend the games for the band is asinine. This year, Jackson State and Southern drew only 20k for its game in Jackson. These schools have probably the 2 largest fanbases of all FCS, and 2 of the best bands of all HBCUs. In the 80s and 90s, this same game always drew upward of 60k in Jackson. The decline isn't because of the bands - our fans are smart enough to know good football when they see it.

If this were the case, I'm sure some of YOUR ADs would love to have 25k folks paying $20-25/game to see a band instead of 7k folks.

Yes, most people go for the football game. But there is a sizable chunk of people that go to the games just for the boom and the J-settes. Ever seen how many videos on youtube there is of them versus the actual team or game highlights. Not that I'm complaining about the amount of J-settes videos. xholyx

Twentysix
November 30th, 2012, 06:15 PM
Yes, most people go for the football game. But there is a sizable chunk of people that go to the games just for the boom and the J-settes. Ever seen how many videos on youtube there is of them versus the actual team or game highlights. Not that I'm complaining about the amount of J-settes videos. xholyx

I didn't know what the J-settes were so I youtubed it. I found a funny while watching it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjeJJ66iDhQ&feature=player_detailpage

Thee F Club [What the F stand for? The F stands for fan.]

Im not normally a grammar person, but come on.... You (or should I say thee) are a university... Is it some kind of Ebonics meets incorrectly used Middle English joke?

Nickels
November 30th, 2012, 06:40 PM
I bet the half-time concession wait times are nothing at SWAC games.

J-State
December 3rd, 2012, 07:57 AM
I didn't know what the J-settes were so I youtubed it. I found a funny while watching it.

Im not normally a grammar person, but come on.... You (or should I say thee) are a university... Is it some kind of Ebonics meets incorrectly used Middle English joke?

I'm sure "Thee F Club" is not a representation of the university. Anyone can create a YouTube account and name it whatever...

Bandheads are the ones uploading the videos, and they mostly are former band members of the program. Now, band members take the program very serious at HBCUs. Also, there is a JSU YouTube account that not only uploads highlights of the game, but also full videos of the game, too.

Sonic98
December 3rd, 2012, 03:50 PM

Well, we never said none of the people go to see the bands. But hey why get mad us because the bands help fill 3 or 4 sections of a stadium that would otherwise not be filled. I still doubt more than a quarter are their JUST for the band. I think more than half aren't coming unless both are good or at least decent.

I bet the half-time concession wait times are nothing at SWAC games.

Actually you're be surprised. I have some annoying friends who don't know how to go to a football game without needing to go to the concession stand a couple times per game. When females go to the game with you, you know it's going to be you going if they're that type. I actually missed half of the half-time period at two games this season because someone decided they needed something from the concession stand with about 5 minutes left until half-time.

Most of those people who post videos are actually just fans. HBCU band fans have a long history of recording bands at half-time. Trading band tapes used to be more popular than trading cassette tapes back in the days before CDs and MP3 players. Honestly who is going to record a whole game on their personal camera? But now everyone takes cameras, phones, and tablets to the games and records. I can only assume Three F stands for FFF with is a musical notation for fortississimo which means to play very, very loud. I was not surprised at all that 3 F was the video you ran across. They record the bands and interview the directors and dancers after the game. I used to do the same thing when I was running SwacFans.com. We would do SwacFans TV, we would interview fans, band members, athletes, and well-known people who came to the games for comments about the bands, football teams, schools, festivities, etc.

DoubleH
December 3rd, 2012, 04:24 PM
I am really surprised at the attendance for the Stony Brook/ Villanova game. Wasnt that game at SB?

That number is bogus. I was at the game, it is a 100% certainty the crowd was larger than that.