PDA

View Full Version : Stony Brook at Montana State

bobcateconomist
November 24th, 2012, 07:24 PM
Nice game today, Stony Brook. Having watched two Stony games (Nova and Liberty), SB looks like a solid team. The game on Saturday in Bozeman should be interesting. I'm really curious to see how that run game of Stony will match up against the 'Cats' run defense -- could go a lot of ways, but so far this year, I've been nothing but impressed with the MSU defense.

fmrbearkat
November 24th, 2012, 07:51 PM
Saturday high 44 with a 40% chance of rain! Sounds like a running teams dream weather! How is Monty states running game?? I know you have a good qb.

LuckyKat
November 24th, 2012, 07:54 PM
Whats the deal with the SB QB?

bobcateconomist
November 24th, 2012, 07:56 PM
Cody Kirk is a stud. The running game is a three-headed monster with Kirk as the main head. Orenzo Davis *can* be good, but he's been on and off this year. Tray Robinson has the ability to be a solid back, but he's mostly utilized as a blocking back + he is featured in the short passing game.

They've done some creative things with Shawn Johnson (4th string RB, fast, but not durable) out of the wildcat / reverse style, but that's not the primary focus -- more of a wrinkle.

In that kind of weather, I'd guess that a solid short passing game would be effective as well. It will be interesting. Looking forward to it.

Saturday high 44 with a 40% chance of rain! Sounds like a running teams dream weather! How is Monty states running game?? I know you have a good qb.

Walkon79
November 24th, 2012, 08:10 PM
The Cats also have had a huge edge in TOP all year. Whomever can get off the field on defense will win this game, and I like our chances. I think the Cats will disrupt the SB running game, and score early to change the game plan.

Everybody's good at this level, but I like our chances at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bobcateconomist
November 24th, 2012, 08:11 PM
Whats the deal with the SB QB?

A contusion on his left thigh. I bet he'll be in the game this coming weekend. I would think so anyway.

bobcateconomist
November 24th, 2012, 08:13 PM
The Cats also have had a huge edge in TOP all year. Whomever can get off the field on defense will win this game, and I like our chances. I think the Cats will disrupt the SB running game, and score early to change the game plan.

Everybody's good at this level, but I like our chances at home.

I think TOP is key to the matchup. Both teams are good at it, but whichever team wins TOP is doing better at executing its gameplan.

bobcathpdevil56
November 24th, 2012, 08:43 PM
I think we can score some points against SBU. It is going to come down to our run D shutting down the good rushing attack. I think coming to Bozeman gives us a great advantage, hopefully we get up early and roll to a great victory

Seawolf97
November 24th, 2012, 08:52 PM
A contusion on his left thigh. I bet he'll be in the game this coming weekend. I would think so anyway.

Essington had a contusion to his thigh after the Liberty game. He will play next week for sure. So you will see our passing game return along with our run game. Jordan Gush one of our wide receivers is healthy now after a broken collar bonell, he played today and will play with Kevin Norrel and Adrian Coxson. Should be a good game.

bobcateconomist
November 24th, 2012, 08:56 PM
Essington had a contusion to his thigh after the Liberty game. He will play next week for sure. So you will see our passing game return along with our run game. Jordan Gush one of our wide receivers is healthy now after a broken collar bonell, he played today and will play with Kevin Norrel and Adrian Coxson. Should be a good game.

Norrel looks like he's plenty talented. I watched the Liberty game, and he had some big plays there. How big are your wide receivers? Any big tall ones? I couldn't tell with all the running today.

VUCats02
November 24th, 2012, 10:09 PM

I'm not sure if seeing the passing game is a good thing with that kind of rushing attack. Putting the ball in the air (I don't care how good your QB is) just doesn't seem necessary at all - if anything it gives your team more of a chance to turn the ball over.

CorrosionDoc
November 24th, 2012, 11:21 PM
I know this almost sounds trite or hackneyed, but I 100% believe this will come down to whether MSU cuts down on the costly turnovers.

Week 1, MSU hosts Chadron State: McGhee is picked off once, Davis fumbles once (although recovered by MSU), and Johnson loses a kickoff return fumble to Chadron State. MSU wins 33-6, but it shouldn't even have been that close.

Week 2, MSU travels to Drake: Kirk fumbles once, McGhee is picked off twice. MSU wins 34-24 but relies on a 13-point comeback to avoid an embarrassing loss.

Week 3, MSU hosts SFAustin: MSU's first possession is wiped out by a fumble on a punt return by Johnson (again) and leads to SFA's first TD. McGhee only picked off once, but the ensuing SFA possession resulting in a go-ahead score. MSU wins 43-35 but has to score the final 9 points of the game to avoid the upset.

Week 4, MSU hosts Northern Colorado: No turnovers by the Cats. MSU wins 41-16.

Week 5, MSU travels to Southern Utah: McGhee picked off once, and the Cats fumble the ball 3 times (Davis, McGhee on a sack, Ellis). MSU wins 24-17, scoring the final TD to break the tie.

Week 6, MSU travels to UC Davis: McGhee throws 1 interception that is returned for a TD, and MSU fumbles the ball 4 times, losing 3 of them. Up 31-14 at halftime, the Cats give up 24 in the 3rd and have to score 2 4th quarter TDs to win 48-41.

Week 7, MSU hosts EWU: McGhee is picked off twice, one returned for a TD, and fumbles the ball 2 times, losing one. MSU loses to EWU, 27-24, which included a blocked punt EWU recovered for a TD.

Week 8, MSU hosts North Dakota: No turnovers by the Cats. MSU wins 55-10.

Week 9, MSU travels to Sac State: No turnovers by the Cats (although they did fumble twice, they recovered them both). MSU wins 20-17.

Week 10, MSU hosts Portland State: No turnovers by the Cats, and go up 49-10 at halftime. MSU pulls most starters and finishes 65-30.

Week 11, MSU travels to UMontana: MSU only has 1 turnover, but it's a costly one at the UM 5 yard line. MSU wins 16-7.

I think McGhee has managed the game better and isn't pressing as hard, but it could also be the quality of the opponent. Since the week 7 loss to EWU, MSU only has 1 turnover over the final 4 games, compared to 20 over the first 7 games! That type of ball control has to continue. Otherwise, if SBU is a real ball-hawk type of team, MSU could find itself in the very uncomfortable position of having to move away from the running tandem of Kirk and Davis and throw more than they want.

CopperCat
November 24th, 2012, 11:32 PM
MSU will throw the ball, because that is part of their plan. They are very balanced and have become much more disciplined in the second half of the season. You already said it, but the turnovers have been few the last four games (toss the one out vs. UM, it was right before the half, really just a garbage INT). I have a feeling that there will be a fair amount of people picking against MSU in this game. I don't see MSU playing remotely as bad as nova did today. MSU has the guys up front to stop the running game, and that will be the key. They also have the ability to keep drives going, just look at third down efficiency, first in the conference I believe. I don't think stony brook will have seen as balanced and talented of an offense until Saturday.

robsnotes4u
November 24th, 2012, 11:49 PM
MSU will throw the ball, because that is part of their plan. They are very balanced and have become much more disciplined in the second half of the season. You already said it, but the turnovers have been few the last four games (toss the one out vs. UM, it was right before the half, really just a garbage INT). I have a feeling that there will be a fair amount of people picking against MSU in this game. I don't see MSU playing remotely as bad as nova did today. MSU has the guys up front to stop the running game, and that will be the key. They also have the ability to keep drives going, just look at third down efficiency, first in the conference I believe. I don't think stony brook will have seen as balanced and talented of an offense until Saturday.

I agree on the offense, and I don't think Stony has not seen a a big fast defense like the Cats. I know when I was in Bozeman last year for the Cat Griz game nobody wanted to play NDSU early in the playoffs due to the *** kicking they received before in the playoffs at home from the Bison. Ash said to compete they needed to change their idea of a defensive line. I think he is doing that quite well. The defensive line wears them down, giving time of possession advantages to MSU, and a win.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CopperCat
November 25th, 2012, 12:19 AM
I just watched the first quarter again, which basically encompassed stony's first drive. They took quite a bit of time to go the distance, and it was almost all on the ground. Maysonet will run outside to find the hole, but once he does that it is north and south running. The MSU front four do a great job of shutting that down in concert with the LB corps. I'm excited to see these guys play.

ecasadoSBU
November 25th, 2012, 12:28 AM
i'll just wait till the game to find out.... i honestly don't know much about msu so i don't have any idea how this game will turn out. but i'm confident on my hungry wolves and my expectations are the same: win it all!!!

danefan
November 25th, 2012, 05:48 AM
I agree on the offense, and I don't think Stony has not seen a a big fast defense like the Cats. I know when I was in Bozeman last year for the Cat Griz game nobody wanted to play NDSU early in the playoffs due to the *** kicking they received before in the playoffs at home from the Bison. Ash said to compete they needed to change their idea of a defensive line. I think he is doing that quite well. The defensive line wears them down, giving time of possession advantages to MSU, and a win.

SBU was up on Syracuse at the half. Pretty sure they've seem a defense as big and fast as MSU.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwETUpkk3A0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

bobcateconomist
November 25th, 2012, 08:33 AM
i'll just wait till the game to find out.... i honestly don't know much about msu so i don't have any idea how this game will turn out. but i'm confident on my hungry wolves and my expectations are the same: win it all!!!

We will all have to wait until the game to find out. I don't expect either team to go quietly.

caribbeanhen
November 25th, 2012, 09:54 AM
should be a real good game, Stony will bring a better team than UNH brought up your way last year.... I think

CopperCat
November 25th, 2012, 11:15 AM
should be a real good game, Stony will bring a better team than UNH brought up your way last year.... I think

And MSU brings a better team to the field as well. And I KNOW that.

Walkon79
November 25th, 2012, 12:21 PM
Cats by 2 scores!

Dane96
November 25th, 2012, 07:31 PM

Not discounting the rest...but I think Syracuse is a pretty big and fast defense...no worse than the 'Cats.

robsnotes4u
November 25th, 2012, 07:32 PM
Not discounting the rest...but I think Syracuse is a pretty big and fast defense...no worse than the 'Cats.

You might be right

malibudude
November 25th, 2012, 07:48 PM
Don't your Kats have your own game this weekend? Might be getting a bit a head of yourselves you frisky felines.

sbu
November 26th, 2012, 09:15 AM
Saturday should be interesting, especially if Essington can play and make Norrel a threat... Last year FCS playoffs vs common opponent (Sam Houston St.) Stony Brook fared better, I know a lot has changed since but I expect a good game.

bobcateconomist
November 26th, 2012, 09:31 AM
And MSU brings a better team to the field as well. And I KNOW that.

Yeah... last year, I watched our team get weaker and weaker as the season went along. We scraped by with close wins against not-so-good teams late in the season. Then, got thumped by the Griz (a true testament to how much worse we had gotten over the course of last season... maybe not "worse", but not better each week). This year, I see the opposite. We had some troubles early in the season that are no longer an issue (see Drake and turnover troubles pre-bye week), and our defense has gotten stronger as the season has gone along.

Case in point regarding this improvement: our O-line was pieced together at the beginning of the season (starting two redshirt freshmen and a converted tight end at tackle... yes, tackle), and it was a real point of concern. As the season has gone along, they have grown together as a unit and they're quite effective. They won't impress you with their size, but they definitely allow us to compete against some powerful defensive fronts, and they've gotten better as the season has gone along (just like the rest of the team). To my eye, it is such a contrast to the MSU team that fizzled at the end of the year last year.

That said, Stony is an impressive team and I expect a closely contested game. One score either way. Given my place in the stadium, I'm saying 'Cats.

deez_na
November 26th, 2012, 09:40 AM
I think Montana St will win this game without too much trouble. Too solid of a team and at home. 14 plus point victory.

robsnotes4u
November 26th, 2012, 11:21 AM
Yeah... last year, I watched our team get weaker and weaker as the season went along. We scraped by with close wins against not-so-good teams late in the season. Then, got thumped by the Griz (a true testament to how much worse we had gotten over the course of last season... maybe not "worse", but not better each week). This year, I see the opposite. We had some troubles early in the season that are no longer an issue (see Drake and turnover troubles pre-bye week), and our defense has gotten stronger as the season has gone along.

Case in point regarding this improvement: our O-line was pieced together at the beginning of the season (starting two redshirt freshmen and a converted tight end at tackle... yes, tackle), and it was a real point of concern. As the season has gone along, they have grown together as a unit and they're quite effective. They won't impress you with their size, but they definitely allow us to compete against some powerful defensive fronts, and they've gotten better as the season has gone along (just like the rest of the team). To my eye, it is such a contrast to the MSU team that fizzled at the end of the year last year.

That said, Stony is an impressive team and I expect a closely contested game. One score either way. Given my place in the stadium, I'm saying 'Cats.

I agree with your observation. I drove out to the Cat Griz game last year and was sickened by what I saw. I really want a rematch with EWU.

Walkon79
November 26th, 2012, 01:56 PM
Not gettting much done at work today. CAn't wait for the "guy trip" to Bozeman Saturday morning!!!

Sure hope we can pack the place as SBU probably hasn't seen a crowd like this except for the play-up games, and I think we'll be louder!!

ecasadoSBU
November 26th, 2012, 02:14 PM
Not gettting much done at work today. CAn't wait for the "guy trip" to Bozeman Saturday morning!!!

Sure hope we can pack the place as SBU probably hasn't seen a crowd like this except for the play-up games, and I think we'll be louder!!

i think @Syracuse, @Army were wayyyyy bigger crowds. We defeated Army, and we led against Cuse for three quarters. Syracuse is now 7-5, 5-2 in the Big East. I'm pretty sure weather or attendance won't be a factor. Only MSU football team and SBU football team will be decisive factors come Saturday...

catbob
November 26th, 2012, 02:20 PM
in think @Syracuse, @Army were wayyyyy bigger crowds. We defeated Army, and we led against Cuse for three quarters. Syracuse is now 7-5, 5-2 in the Big East. I'm pretty sure weather or attendance won't be a factor. Only MSU football team and SBU football team will be decisive factors come Saturday...

Obviously 12,000 can't compete with 50,000, but some of the loudest games I've heard in Bobcat stadium have been playoff games, in particular against Furman in 2006, and there weren't even 10,000 people there. The reason? Because these are BIG games for MSU - for FBS teams, we are just DII teams... not too much to get fired up about.

But as I said, 12,000 rabid MSU fans still won't be as loud as 50k Cuse fans in a dome. But they will be more intense.

Griz_are_Beta_AF
November 26th, 2012, 03:35 PM
Obviously 12,000 can't compete with 50,000, but some of the loudest games I've heard in Bobcat stadium have been playoff games, in particular against Furman in 2006, and there weren't even 10,000 people there. The reason? Because these are BIG games for MSU - for FBS teams, we are just DII teams... not too much to get fired up about.

But as I said, 12,000 rabid MSU fans still won't be as loud as 50k Cuse fans in a dome. But they will be more intense.

Where do you get 12,000 from? We've had more than that at every game this year.

srgrizizen
November 26th, 2012, 03:56 PM

I have only the Griz game to judge by, but from that the MSU QB IS their running game. RB Cody Kirk had a great season, and another poster referred to him as a "stud". He had 55 yards on 22 carries against the Griz, not exactly studly.

Darius McGee is the entire difference between a very good and a pretty average offense, but he's VERY, VERY good. Most of all, the MSU defense is excellent, so if SB can run the ball at them consistently, they do indeed have a great running game. But I think they're going to have to prove they can throw it effectively, too, if they want to win.

I like the Cats to find a way to win at home -- this is their time. (or not?) It will be interesting.

catbob
November 26th, 2012, 04:51 PM

Just a guesstimation based on last years attendance (11637). Will probably be more but ya never know.

SeattleGriz
November 26th, 2012, 04:53 PM

Teams notoriously draw less than season average for playoff games. Not all the season ticket holders can show up with only a week or two's notice.

catbob
November 26th, 2012, 04:54 PM
I have only the Griz game to judge by, but from that the MSU QB IS their running game. RB Cody Kirk had a great season, and another poster referred to him as a "stud". He had 55 yards on 22 carries against the Griz, not exactly studly.

Darius McGee is the entire difference between a very good and a pretty average offense, but he's VERY, VERY good. Most of all, the MSU defense is excellent, so if SB can run the ball at them consistently, they do indeed have a great running game. But I think they're going to have to prove they can throw it effectively, too, if they want to win.

I like the Cats to find a way to win at home -- this is their time. (or not?) It will be interesting.

So one team shuts down our run game (Griz had statistically best run D in the league, top 5 nationally) and all of the sudden McGhee is our only rushing threat?

The Cats running backs rushed for over 1700 yards this year with 24 TDs. Not eye-popping by any means, but couple that with 2700 passing yards.

Walkon79
November 26th, 2012, 05:25 PM
Just a guesstimation based on last years attendance (11637). Will probably be more but ya never know.

Ticket sales have been brisk today with a 30 min. to an 1 hour wait at the ticket office and over the phone. I'll bet we're pretty close to capacity if the kids show up.

CopperCat
November 26th, 2012, 06:07 PM

This sounds like you're shooting from the hip. Cody Kirk is a averaging almost 100 yards a game while splitting carries with one or two other backs. He also has 13 rushing TDs which is nothing to scoff at.

Having said that, McGhee IS that good, and he will get his yards with his legs if he has to.

catbob
November 26th, 2012, 10:09 PM
I got it into my head that the Cats will probably have the best run defense the Seawolves have seen all year. So I looked up rankings for rush defense for SB opponents.

W vs Central Conn (107)
L vs Syracuse (48 in FBS)
W vs Colgate (103)
W vs Army (104 in FBS)
W vs Charleston Southern (105)
W vs Gardner-Webb (89)
W vs Presbyterian (119)
W vs VMI (104)
L vs Liberty (23)
W vs Nova (57)

As you can see, the best two run defenses they faced all year, they lost (Cuse, Liberty), and I have to think MSU is better than either of those run defenses. 5 of the teams they beat finished worse than 100 out of 121 teams in FCS! I mean the Big South looks like a rushing conference, but those numbers are pretty crazy.

The Cats are #7 with less than 100 yards given up per game, by the way.

Walkon79
November 26th, 2012, 10:18 PM
Oh, and its DeNarius, not Darius. Thought more folks would get this right after 34 starts :)

ecasadoSBU
November 26th, 2012, 11:35 PM
I got it into my head that the Cats will probably have the best run defense the Seawolves have seen all year. So I looked up rankings for rush defense for SB opponents.

W vs Central Conn (107)
W vs Colgate (103)
W vs Army (104 in FBS)
W vs Gardner-Webb (89)
W vs Presbyterian (119)
W vs VMI (104)
L vs Liberty (23)
W vs Nova (57)

As you can see, the best two run defenses they faced all year, they lost (Cuse, Liberty), and I have to think MSU is better than either of those run defenses. 5 of the teams they beat finished worse than 100 out of 121 teams in FCS! I mean the Big South looks like a rushing conference, but those numbers are pretty crazy.

Congrats for bringing up all the stats. We'll find out if all your effort will be backed up on Saturday. We (stony brook fans) understand the key to success against us is stopping our run and its sucks to know your team is good at it. But to beat us you need to be good stopping the run on Saturday against US not the teams you previously played. The Playoff are a whole different ballgame so we don't know how this is going to come down

Also, if Kyle plays our passing game opens up a bit more so I'm hopeful that comes into play next saturday

Screamin_Eagle174
November 27th, 2012, 12:08 AM

W vs Central Conn (107)
W vs Colgate (103)
W vs Army (104 in FBS)
W vs Gardner-Webb (89)
W vs Presbyterian (119)
W vs VMI (104)
L vs Liberty (23)
W vs Nova (57)

The rushing offenses MSU has faced:

Chadron State - ??? (D II)
Drake - (104)
SFA - (97)
UNC - (107)
SUU - (114)
UC-Davis - (74)
EWU - (79)
UND - (82)
SAC - (50)
PSU - (16)
UM - (11)

Overall, some pretty terrible rushing teams (no, not because of MSU, but because they failed to rush effectively against 10 other teams). The two good ones MSU faced (PSU and UM), the Cats D surrendered 295 and 168 yards rushing, respectively.

Stony Brook is #5, by the way. xcoolx

Griz_are_Beta_AF
November 27th, 2012, 12:10 AM
This seems to be basically all about SBU offense and MSU defense. What about the seawolves defense? How is that? What're their strengths and weaknesses? The cats are an overall very solid offense, so it'll be tough to stop us. Especially if we get our run game going. Can't wait till Saturday night!

Griz_are_Beta_AF
November 27th, 2012, 12:14 AM

Drake - (104)
SFA - (97)
UNC - (107)
SUU - (114)
UC-Davis - (74)
EWU - (79)
UND - (82)
SAC - (50)
PSU - (16)
UM - (11)

Overall, some pretty terrible rushing teams (no, not because of MSU, but because they failed to rush effectively against 10 other teams). The two good ones MSU faced (PSU and UM), the Cats D surrendered 295 and 168 yards rushing, respectively.

How many of those rushing yards against PSU were the second half though? Of course not all of them were as we gave up one huge run in the first half to them. But I'd think that more than half of those were against our second string defense.

bobcateconomist
November 27th, 2012, 12:33 AM
How many of those rushing yards against PSU were the second half though? Of course not all of them were as we gave up one huge run in the first half to them. But I'd think that more than half of those were against our second string defense.

With PSU, most were in the second half. And, just to pile on a little -- it wasn't like the Griz ran very effectively after the first quarter. I think they had >100yds rushing in the first quarter until the cats figured them out.

katstrapper
November 27th, 2012, 07:22 AM
Bobcat fans were talking about their rush defense last year and SHSU ran for 428 yards in the quarterfinals. Montana State better get ready for a tough, physical well coached football team. Stony Brook will not be intimidated one bit walking into Bozeman. The Seawolves gave Sam Houston all they could handle last year in the second round. Their running game is tough, Essington can put the ball down the field and they scratch and fight for everything they can get. Maysonet is the real deal.

Oh and did I mention that SBU can play some defense? #5 Total Defense in the FCS, #10 against the pass. I had a lot of respect for SBU when I walked out of Bowers last year. Kats dodged a bullet in that game.

This should be a good game!!

CopperCat
November 27th, 2012, 09:21 AM

Drake - (104)
SFA - (97)
UNC - (107)
SUU - (114)
UC-Davis - (74)
EWU - (79)
UND - (82)
SAC - (50)
PSU - (16)
UM - (11)

Dude, you got your #2 seed so unless you have something productive to say in this thread just save it.

The 295 was against Portland state where the cats had second stringers playing in the second half because that game was well in hand at halftime to the tune of 59-10. Throw that game out the window. The 168 is also misleading because 70 yards of that came on the only play that Montana scored on all day and it was the only big play MSU gave up. After giving 100 yards rushing in the first quarter the cats only gave up 68 the rest of the game.

catbob
November 27th, 2012, 09:35 AM
Oh no question the Seawolves are the real deal. I watched some of the Nova game, and Maysonet and Croker are the real deal, as is that OL. I'm just a fan of stats - they don't necessarily prove anything, and simultaneously you can't just ignore them. Just found it interesting that the SB's only two losses were to the two best run defenses they played all year, which was my main point SE. Conversely, the two best rushing teams the Cats played they won, with one being over partway through the second quarter.

Last year I felt like the Cats defense was a flood gate waiting to burst. We got exposed by Weber and then pounded by Montana, and barely even beat UNH at home in the 2nd round, and we all know what happened at SHSU. We limped into the playoffs and never recovered any mojo we had. This year I feel much more confident in our defense, especially in the 2nd half of the season. And we have really cut down our turnovers since the EWU loss - I think we've had just 1 in the last 4 games? We are +8 in turnovers since the EWU loss, I believe -6 before that.

This year I am at least confident we can play to our full potential. Will it be enough? We will find out Saturday.

Walkon79
November 27th, 2012, 09:40 AM
I'm not doubting the SBU backs and rush offense will be the best we've seen all year. I just don't think they have the horses to stay with us all game.

If you like smash-mouth football, this and the SDSU/NDSU games are for you, and not coincidently, these are the only games the country can see on PPV!!

Love it!!

Walkon79
November 27th, 2012, 09:43 AM
BTW Screamin. Wagner crushed Colgate, which only lost to SBU by one point. I think you should be worried about Wagner and your on again - off again performances this year.

catbob
November 27th, 2012, 10:13 AM
Another thing to consider is MSU is no slouch when it comes to controlling the clock either, just over 33 minutes a game TOP.

Game could come down to who makes the most of their possessions, as I don't think either team will get a lot of possessions, which I think favors SB.

Griz_are_Beta_AF
November 27th, 2012, 01:32 PM
Another thing to consider is MSU is no slouch when it comes to controlling the clock either, just over 33 minutes a game TOP.

Game could come down to who makes the most of their possessions, as I don't think either team will get a lot of possessions, which I think favors SB.

Watching SBU's first quarter and part of second I was highly impressed with their possession time, they had the ball on one drive for a large part of the first quarter. I think we defer from them with we like to get the ball down the field a bit quicker, while they like to pound the ball for 3-5 yards a carry. Each definitely have their advantages. Hopefully we can get some quick scores and get off the field on defense early and make them start throwing, although their throwing game should be a bit better this week.

Their QB may be a bit fragile, a few hits from Minter and Schrebeis and he could be knocked out of the game again, or at least not playing at his full potential. I think defensive pressure will be big for the Cats if we want to come out with a win.

srgrizizen
November 27th, 2012, 01:58 PM
Oh, and its DeNarius, not Darius. Thought more folks would get this right after 34 starts :)

Sorry, my bad. I hope everyone still knew who I was talking about.

Walkon79
November 27th, 2012, 02:01 PM
Sorry, my bad. I hope everyone still knew who I was talking about.

I'm sure they did, as it's mostly Cat fans posting so far. :)

catbob
November 27th, 2012, 02:13 PM
I tried to get an account at the SB forum, but going on day two here with no "admin approval".

jaghatai
November 27th, 2012, 07:54 PM
Just because stats are fun...

Against Stony Brook, Syracuse allowed 5.7 yards/carry. Stony Brook threw 2 interceptions and went 4 - 19 passing.
Against Stony Brook, Liberty allowed 3.9 yards/carry. Stony Brook threw 4 interceptions and gave up 2 defensive touchdowns.

I don't know if we can say that the opponents run defense was what cost SBU the game. I'd probably lean towards "poor QB play" was what cost SBU the games.

Don't get me wrong, Liberty and Syracuse both played very well, and earned those victories, but it shows me that if Essington and Norrell are healthy, SBU is a much better team.

How about that for Madden-esque analysis... the team is better when their top WR and QB are healthy...

In regards to the game itself, I think that SBU will be able to run the ball, but the key will be MSU offense against SBU defense. SBU can stop the run, but has problems with the "slot-passing" game and how it translates into the big play. If they can keep the game in front of them, not give up a short slant for 60yds and keep mental errors to a minimum, I like their chances to make it real tight.

bobcateconomist
November 27th, 2012, 08:59 PM
In regards to the game itself, I think that SBU will be able to run the ball, but the key will be MSU offense against SBU defense. SBU can stop the run, but has problems with the "slot-passing" game and how it translates into the big play. If they can keep the game in front of them, not give up a short slant for 60yds and keep mental errors to a minimum, I like their chances to make it real tight.

Interesting. I'll pass that insight along to Coach Ash. ;) In all seriousness, I don't think I'll have to pass such an insight on to Ash. He's pretty good at figuring out what matchups are important, but now that you mention it, I'll have to watch our slot passing game.

ecasadoSBU
November 27th, 2012, 09:06 PM
I tried to get an account at the SB forum, but going on day two here with no "admin approval".

You are all in. sorry. We had to put admin approval due to the LSU fans that trashed our forum last June

catbob
November 27th, 2012, 11:21 PM
The Cats aren't a big play team. We don't bust slant routes into 60 yard TD scores. We are a ball control team, we just happen to use the run and the pass to achieve it. Somewhere I read we were 6th in the nation in TOP, but I don't know how to verify that. But we were first in the Big Sky. We aren't going to score many 75 yard TDs. We get into manageable third downs, and convert upwards of 54% of them. Even long ones we have a knack for picking them up.

knucklehead
November 28th, 2012, 09:09 AM
The Cats aren't a big play team. We don't bust slant routes into 60 yard TD scores. We are a ball control team, we just happen to use the run and the pass to achieve it. Somewhere I read we were 6th in the nation in TOP, but I don't know how to verify that. But we were first in the Big Sky. We aren't going to score many 75 yard TDs. We get into manageable third downs, and convert upwards of 54% of them. Even long ones we have a knack for picking them up.

You are correct, #6 http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2012&rpt=IAA_teamtop&site=org&div=IAA&dest=O Note that you are 1 in front of Liberty. Liberty beat Stony Brook but strangely in that game lost the posession battle to SBU (32:27 27:33). The key to beating SBU is to shut down Maysonette and forcing Essington (if he plays) to throw into tight coverage. Liberty Forces lots of turnovers in that game. Defense will be the key to anyone knocking SBU out. Incidentally, their D is also very good.

danefan
November 28th, 2012, 09:15 AM
The key to beating SBU is getting ahead early. Like an option team, it is very difficult to play from behind.

If they get a two-score lead, the game is pretty much over. They'll grind every second off the clock.

knucklehead
November 28th, 2012, 09:34 AM
Yea, SBU scored first, but by half, LU was up 14-7.

caribbeanhen
November 28th, 2012, 09:44 AM
this should be a real good game, if forced to choose only one game to watch this weekend.... I take this one

Stony Brook 28
MSU 24

danefan
November 28th, 2012, 09:45 AM
Yea, SBU scored first, but by half, LU was up 14-7.

And once LU opened a two-score lead in the third quarter, SBU was thrown out of its game and Essington really started turning the ball over.

SBUFAN33
November 28th, 2012, 01:43 PM
SBU GAME WATCH IN NYC.

@ Little Town NYC 46th street between 8th and 9th

Walkon79
November 28th, 2012, 05:47 PM
Bump to keep on the first page. There are a fair number of MSU posters on this board, but it's hard to compete with App, GSU and NDSU :)

Seawolf97
November 28th, 2012, 07:54 PM
You gotta see Vermont on the America East board. They think they are the only team in conference.

Walkon79
November 28th, 2012, 09:58 PM
Any of you guys making the loooong trip?

Our tailgate is a blast and the weather is supposed to be OK. Probably around 40 at KO.

ecasadoSBU
November 28th, 2012, 10:06 PM
Any of you guys making the loooong trip?

Our tailgate is a blast and the weather is supposed to be OK. Probably around 40 at KO.

is just too much. I wish i was a bit older and had more savings so I could make the trip but its darn expensive to travel around cross country and head right back.

MarkyMark
November 28th, 2012, 10:08 PM
Seawolves gave SAM a great game last year. I think they can take out MSU so I am going say SBU 31 - MSU 28.

What is a Seawolf by the way?

Mr. C
November 28th, 2012, 10:23 PM
Seawolves gave SAM a great game last year. I think they can take out MSU so I am going say SBU 31 - MSU 28.

What is a Seawolf by the way?

When I was with my daughters at the Stony Brook game on Saturday, my youngest suggested that it might be because that the Vikings were referred to as Seawolves. Could that be it?

Twentysix
November 28th, 2012, 10:34 PM
When did stonybrook adopt the name? In '89 the US produced Nuclear Submarines called Seawolves.

Its also apparently a Dungeons and Dragons monster that looks like a furry dolphin with a wolf face.

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110608220549/dungeonsdragons/images/e/ef/Dx0929fc_seawolf.jpg

Like C said they could be sjolfr which is apparently pronounced sea wolf and has to do with actual vikings, its a norse surname that has been anglacized into "seawolf".

Or maybe their adminstration was taking alot of halucenogens and playing D&D when naming the mascot.

jaghatai
November 29th, 2012, 06:30 AM
Or maybe their adminstration was taking alot of halucenogens and playing D&D when naming the mascot.

Moving forward, that is what I'm using when people ask how the Seawolves got named. To answer your question...

The student-alumni response: I'M A SEAWOLF!
The books: The Seawolf was said to be a mythical creature from the Tlingit tribe (Pacific Northwest) which brought good luck to those able to see it

The name was adopted in 1994 when we moved up to division I. Prior to that, we were division III, competing as the SUNY-Stony Brook Patriots. It was a good change.

Lastofthepatriots90
November 29th, 2012, 09:50 AM
The name was adopted in 1994 when we moved up to division I. Prior to that, we were division III, competing as the SUNY-Stony Brook Patriots. It was a good change.

One of the other names that was looked at was the Hellcats which was a tribute to the fighter plane made by Grumman on Long Island in the 1940's...Now thinking about that Cheerleading show from a few years ago, I'm very happy we didn't go with this name.

ALPHAGRIZ1
November 29th, 2012, 11:05 AM
I think the name Seawolves is derogatory towards wolves and should be banned.

Think of how the wolves would feel people............jeeez

CK34
November 29th, 2012, 11:13 AM
I think you're looking at a MAJOR upset this weekend!

Stony Brook over Montana State.

BOOK IT.

BisonBacker
November 29th, 2012, 11:20 AM
I don't think SB is going to like the weather much!

CK34
November 29th, 2012, 11:28 AM

BOOK IT.

All you Bison fans only talk about how much the weather sucks, and how the northern teams are superior because you are used to the conditions. As a fan base, are you all just scared, so you hang on to the one natural "advantage," you have?

What's up with that? Serious question...

robsnotes4u
November 29th, 2012, 11:32 AM
All you Bison fans only talk about how much the weather sucks, and how the northern teams are superior because you are used to the conditions. As a fan base, are you all just scared, so you hang on to the one natural "advantage," you have?

Unfortunately the Bison play indoors

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

fmrbearkat
November 29th, 2012, 11:32 AM

The Bison don't have a natural advantage....they play in a DOME!!! When we played in Wa-Grizz i don't feel that the weather was a problem. It was the crowd and the noise that gave us problems.

CK34
November 29th, 2012, 11:40 AM
fmrbearkat,

I know you've seen the posts on Katfans from the Bison talking about the weather, and from the Grizz fans. So that was the point of my post.

I was at Wa-Grizz in 2004 and I agree, the crowd noise was a major factor, not the weather conditions. (it was also slightly drizzly that day IIRC)

Bronco
November 29th, 2012, 12:02 PM
-
My weather report says 46 and 30% chance of rain on Sat
It will be colder by nightfall but not a shock to SB

Any fans traveling to Bozeman will be more confused by the anti Griz cheers in the stands during the game
It is an obsessed fan base
Just note the names of the cat fans that will respond to my post

Canyoncat
November 29th, 2012, 12:35 PM
As always bronco talking out of his/her ***. You won't hear anything about the griz in the stands. Bronco needs to not be so bitter.

Cats will win this game. It will be a bit closer than I would like, but they will win and then stomp Cal Poly or SHSU. Book it!

Walkon79
November 29th, 2012, 12:51 PM
The weather "should" be as good or better than SB's first round game. The forcast low for Saturday is 36, so even at night it shouldn't be too uncomfortable for the fans and especially the players cause they're not all liquored up and have the adrenilin pumping.

It's on turf so even if we get a rain shower or snow flurry, I don't think the elements will be a factor, unless the wind blows. Wind would more more of an issue for the Bobcats anyway, with a balanced passing/running game.

Walkon79
November 29th, 2012, 12:52 PM
OH, and Bronco>>>

ESG GCG!!!!

:)

Griz_are_Beta_AF
November 29th, 2012, 01:16 PM
-
My weather report says 46 and 30% chance of rain on Sat
It will be colder by nightfall but not a shock to SB

Any fans traveling to Bozeman will be more confused by the anti Griz cheers in the stands during the game
It is an obsessed fan base
Just note the names of the cat fans that will respond to my post

He's right.. We always have to throw in at least some griz hate chants.. We love to hate them, it's what we do.

Canyoncat, have you been to a game and sat in the student section at all this year? I hear tons of ESG chants every game. Sometimes I hear it every time we score a TD and play our fight song..

I don't see the weather being a factor in this game, it's supposed to be nice. If the weather were supposed to be like it was against PSU, high of 9 and wind chill of -4 I'd say it'd be a factor, but it's not so this should be a great game.

ALPHAGRIZ1
November 29th, 2012, 01:39 PM

Its all BS, the weather, the crowd, the noise or playing on the road is all a mental thing if you can get over that its really no advantage at all. I dont care what records or stats may prove its a mental thing.

Both teams play on the same field in the same weather, same noise etc.

Would it be a disadvantage to be at home down 17 and the "QUIET" is so deafening it messes with the home teams mind and they get rolled? Cmon MAN!

ALPHAGRIZ1
November 29th, 2012, 01:42 PM
I am not calling for an "upset" but it will not surprise me at all if SB goes into Bozeman and wins.

This is a solid team, with playoff experience and they usually hold their own against any team they play. (SHSU, Syracuse) If they can stop the cats run game, its going to be a long, long day for the puddy tats.

CK34
November 29th, 2012, 02:36 PM
I don't necessarily agree with you Alpha, noise can definitely be a factor.

It has been known to cause false starts, etc. I do, however, completely agree about your weather observations, both teams play on the same field in the same conditions.

ALPHAGRIZ1
November 29th, 2012, 03:10 PM
Thats fine you have the right to your opinion but mentally tough teams win on the road in all environments.

The idea of a team going somewhere and dealing with loud crowd noise may be disconcerting to some, but if a team is coming from a place that is always loud and plays at........... lets say Eastern Washington.............the crickets there may subconsciously give said team fits.

It either works both ways or it doesnt.

CopperCat
November 29th, 2012, 07:09 PM

BOOK IT.

I tried, but reservations at bobcat stadium were full. Looks like you'll have to wish for somebody else to beat MSU xlolx

SeattleGriz
November 29th, 2012, 07:25 PM
Its all BS, the weather, the crowd, the noise or playing on the road is all a mental thing if you can get over that its really no advantage at all. I dont care what records or stats may prove its a mental thing.

Both teams play on the same field in the same weather, same noise etc.

Would it be a disadvantage to be at home down 17 and the "QUIET" is so deafening it messes with the home teams mind and they get rolled? Cmon MAN!

Okay, then the Bobcats have ALTITUDE going for them. ANYTHING other than football skills!

CopperCat
November 29th, 2012, 07:36 PM
Okay, then the Bobcats have ALTITUDE going for them. ANYTHING other than football skills!
Going from sea level to 4500' is no small thing. I was back in Bozeman a couple weeks ago for the annual hunting trip and I was gassed hiking up those hills and I'm in pretty darn good shape. I do most of my running at sea level, so I would have to think stony will feel a bit of that too.

robsnotes4u
November 29th, 2012, 07:39 PM
Going from sea level to 4500' is no small thing. I was back in Bozeman a couple weeks ago for the annual hunting trip and I was gassed hiking up those hills and I'm in pretty darn good shape.

Going from laurel, mt to Butte for wrestling sucked, we could feel the difference. I know what you are saying, when we go back elk hunting it is tough to catch your breath, and takes longer to recover, and we aren't at sea level in ND.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

xcoach2
November 29th, 2012, 08:24 PM
Granted a MSU win means Sam will guaranteed be on the road next Saturday, but I'd still rather see the Bobcats win. SBU was physical last year and a tough matchup for the BearKats. OTOH MSU was soft, soft, soft.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 29th, 2012, 08:27 PM
MSU is way overrated. All those close wins, and lost to the only good team they played (EWU). I wouldn't be surprised in the least if SB won, especially with MSU's history of peeing down their legs in the playoffs. xtwocentsx

CopperCat
November 29th, 2012, 08:33 PM
MSU is way overrated. All those close wins, and lost to the only good team they played (EWU). I wouldn't be surprised in the least if SB won, especially with MSU's history of peeing down their legs in the playoffs. xtwocentsx

Another fantastic insight from the brilliant mind of the resident AGS troll.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 29th, 2012, 08:42 PM
Another fantastic insight from the brilliant mind of the resident AGS troll.

Hey, don't thank me, pat yourself, Cat95, 2506, etc on the back. I take notes from you all. xthumbsupx

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?124929-Wagner-at-Eastern-Washington&p=1900993&viewfull=1#post1900993

bobcathpdevil56
November 29th, 2012, 08:45 PM
Going from laurel, mt to Butte for wrestling sucked, we could feel the difference. I know what you are saying, when we go back elk hunting it is tough to catch your breath, and takes longer to recover, and we aren't at sea level in ND.

Robs that is because you wrestled for Laurel, there is your problem right there.xthumbsupx

Go Bobcats

robsnotes4u
November 29th, 2012, 09:00 PM
Robs that is because you wrestled for Laurel, there is your problem right there.xthumbsupx

Go Bobcats

Let me guess, by your name, Huntley Project? Ron Huck use to a little traveling with us, huge family. I think he went out to Tacoma, with us to nationals in about 1980.

bobcathpdevil56
November 29th, 2012, 09:06 PM
Well I coach there now. But I wrestled in Bozeman, I was just kidding, know quite a few kids from Laurel and they have always been tuff mothers

robsnotes4u
November 29th, 2012, 09:10 PM
Well I coach there now. But I wrestled in Bozeman, I was just kidding, know quite a few kids from Laurel and they have always been tuff mothers

That is awesome. I used wrestle a Springer kid from Bozeman in the late 70's in freestyle. Want to get over to the big invitational in Miles City this year, I use to wrestle their coach, Jon Harris. Say an old friend of mine use to teach at Huntley, Lee Langlinais.

They always had a AAU program in Huntley.

bobcathpdevil56
November 29th, 2012, 09:18 PM
That is awesome. I used wrestle a Springer kid from Bozeman in the late 70's in freestyle. Want to get over to the big invitational in Miles City this year, I use to wrestle their coach, Jon Harris. Say an old friend of mine use to teach at Huntley, Lee Langlinais.

They always had a AAU program in Huntley.

Good old Lee, i work with him sometimes in the summer, roofing. Ryan Springer? I am a more recent grad, but I know a few of those good old scrappers from the 70s and 80s when wrestling was tough.xthumbsupx

srgrizizen
November 29th, 2012, 09:27 PM

Close wins means you aren't good?? MSU won 7 games by more than 1 touchdown, EWU won 3. EWU was incredibly lucky to beat the Griz in Cheney while MSU handled us pretty convincingly in Missoula. Sure, MSU could lose to SB, but they won't be blown out. I know I'm supposed to hate the Cats, but I'm rooting for any team from Montana. The Griz/Cat game should always be for the conference Championship, and maybe will be again soon if UM can find a reliable passing game.

robsnotes4u
November 29th, 2012, 09:35 PM
Good old Lee, i work with him sometimes in the summer, roofing. Ryan Springer? I am a more recent grad, but I know a few of those good old scrappers from the 70s and 80s when wrestling was tough.xthumbsupx

Looked it up, Mike Springer, I think we only wrestled once. He beat me in championship 7-5. Tell Lee hi from Robert Martin we moved to ND after my sophomore year, and my wrestling career was finished, didn't have it in the small town we moved to.

bobcathpdevil56
November 29th, 2012, 09:49 PM
Looked it up, Mike Springer, I think we only wrestled once. He beat me in championship 7-5. Tell Lee hi from Robert Martin we moved to ND after my sophomore year, and my wrestling career was finished, didn't have it in the small town we moved to.

Will do, always a small world.

Anyways, back to the thread, Go Bobcats, gotta score plenty of points and end this one early

Screamin_Eagle174
November 29th, 2012, 09:50 PM
Close wins means you aren't good?? MSU won 7 games by more than 1 touchdown, EWU won 3. EWU was incredibly lucky to beat the Griz in Cheney while MSU handled us pretty convincingly in Missoula. Sure, MSU could lose to SB, but they won't be blown out. I know I'm supposed to hate the Cats, but I'm rooting for any team from Montana. The Griz/Cat game should always be for the conference Championship, and maybe will be again soon if UM can find a reliable passing game.

I was using cat (faulty) logic, which obviously went over your head. This is a playoff thread, why are you here?

robsnotes4u
November 29th, 2012, 09:51 PM
Will do, always a small world.

Anyways, back to the thread, Go Bobcats, gotta score plenty of points and end this one early

Yes. Going to be a good game. Early lead, and control both sides of the line

catbob
November 29th, 2012, 10:03 PM
I was using cat (faulty) logic, which obviously went over your head. This is a playoff thread, why are you here?

Why are you?

Screamin_Eagle174
November 29th, 2012, 10:07 PM
Why are you?

Because SB is in EWU's bracket, and there's a decent chance we might play them in the semis. xcoffeex

Griz_are_Beta_AF
November 29th, 2012, 10:10 PM

Says the guy who is a fan of a team that barely scraped out a win over a team MSU absolutely destroyed the week before..

Screamin_Eagle174
November 29th, 2012, 10:13 PM
Says the guy who is a fan of a team that barely scraped out a win over a team MSU absolutely destroyed the week before..

We played them on the road in a downpour. MSU played them at home in the cold. EWU also beat MSU in Bozeman, so your point is moot.

robsnotes4u
November 29th, 2012, 10:16 PM

Let me guess, you were beat up a lot as a kid, or maybe you still are a kid. A keyboard quarterback without a clue. I would advise you to stick around after your loss, whether it is now or in the quarter finals, take some notes and learn.

No matter how you act here, it will not correct the past for you. Reality is scary for you, I know.

CopperCat
November 29th, 2012, 10:22 PM
Any update from the stony fans on the QB situation?

Griz_are_Beta_AF
November 29th, 2012, 10:24 PM
We played them on the road in a downpour. MSU played them at home in the cold. EWU also beat MSU in Bozeman, so your point is moot.

You both played in the rain, that doesn't give either team an advantage. Neither did our game with a -4 wind chill. We didn't destroy them because of that.. And I'm not talking about the middle of the season when EWU beat us. I'm talking about the end of the season where we are playing good football and you're scraping out wins against teams that you should really be destroying.

SeattleGriz
November 29th, 2012, 10:53 PM

There are Stony fans?

Screamin_Eagle174
November 29th, 2012, 11:02 PM
You both played in the rain, that doesn't give either team an advantage. Neither did our game with a -4 wind chill. We didn't destroy them because of that.. And I'm not talking about the middle of the season when EWU beat us. I'm talking about the end of the season where we are playing good football and you're scraping out wins against teams that you should really be destroying.

It gives the home team who is used to playing in the rain a bigger advantage, especially one that primarily runs the ball, vs. a road passing team.

Regardless, wins are wins, and EWU owns two of them over the "co-champs" and fellow playoff teams. MSU hasn't beaten a playoff team this year, and has a recent history of playing poorly in the playoffs.

Griz_are_Beta_AF
November 29th, 2012, 11:09 PM
It gives the home team who is used to playing in the rain a bigger advantage, especially one that primarily runs the ball, vs. a road passing team.

Regardless, wins are wins, and EWU owns two of them over the "co-champs" and fellow playoff teams. MSU hasn't beaten a playoff team this year, and has a recent history of playing poorly in the playoffs.

Isn't Washington known for how much rain it gets? While you are a pass first team, rain doesn't give the home team an advantage. It does give the run first team an advantage though. But regardless, PSU is an awful team, in the rain or not, you should have destroyed them. And UC-Davis the week before? What's the excuse for that one. And I'll go ahead and answer your response since I know you'll lay it on me. We also barely beat UC-Davis, but it was when we weren't playing well against anyone hardly. We were squeaking out wins every week. But we improved as the season progressed like a team is supposed to, while it appears EWU did the opposite, with the Cal Poly game being the only exception.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 29th, 2012, 11:20 PM
Isn't Washington known for how much rain it gets? While you are a pass first team, rain doesn't give the home team an advantage. It does give the run first team an advantage though. But regardless, PSU is an awful team, in the rain or not, you should have destroyed them. And UC-Davis the week before? What's the excuse for that one. And I'll go ahead and answer your response since I know you'll lay it on me. We also barely beat UC-Davis, but it was when we weren't playing well against anyone hardly. We were squeaking out wins every week. But we improved as the season progressed like a team is supposed to, while it appears EWU did the opposite, with the Cal Poly game being the only exception.

The West side of the state is...

PSU isn't an awful team, they have a really good offense and special teams, but an awful defense. There is no excuse for the UCD, we took an early 14-3 lead and let up off the gas. The thing is, when our backs are against the wall we know how to respond and get the job done. We did it all throughout 2010, and we've done it all throughout this year as well with the exception of one head-scratcher loss both years. Lastly, how you win preceding the playoffs doesn't matter, so long as you win. Only thing that matters once the playoffs start is winning. MSU has struggled with that recently...

moose
November 30th, 2012, 12:34 AM
There are Stony fans?

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/250x250/21952785.jpg

I like Stony Brook with the upset.

SBUFAN33
November 30th, 2012, 06:37 AM
The lastest update was that he was 50/50. He did however take a couple first team snaps on thursday, so i will assume he is good to go.

jaghatai
November 30th, 2012, 06:43 AM
Sorry for the delay in responses from SBU fans. Between all the noise from the MSU fans, and the cold weather, we're not as efficient as normal.

catbob
November 30th, 2012, 10:02 AM
The West side of the state is...

PSU isn't an awful team, they have a really good offense and special teams, but an awful defense. There is no excuse for the UCD, we took an early 14-3 lead and let up off the gas. The thing is, when our backs are against the wall we know how to respond and get the job done. We did it all throughout 2010, and we've done it all throughout this year as well with the exception of one head-scratcher loss both years. Lastly, how you win preceding the playoffs doesn't matter, so long as you win. Only thing that matters once the playoffs start is winning. MSU has struggled with that recently...

Funny how EWU wins when their backs are against the wall, which is what the Cats have done at times this year, it's a sign of a good team. But when you refer to MSU in this same capacity, we just scrap by teams so we aren't very good.

robsnotes4u
November 30th, 2012, 10:16 AM
For the stony brook fans, do you think you can win without your star quarterback and his passing game against MSU? With your back up only going 3 for 6 last game, if I remember correctly, that would give MSU with a great run defense an easier time, I would think.

Nova09
November 30th, 2012, 10:20 AM
I've held off posting here because I'm still bitter and didn't want to come off as a sour grapes poster, but I truly believe if Cox had been healthy (DE) we would have had no trouble with SBU. They are a very strong team and grind it out so they'll never be easy to knock off, and I know Cox had nothing to do with our offensive struggles directly but I do think if the D spent less time on the field our O would be in more of a rhythm, especially since the stats surprisingly aren't bad considering they only had the ball 20 minutes. Anyway I like Stony Brook, know some people in the program, said somewhere else I would support them if they beat us, but all of this is leading to my prediction that Mont St wins this game.

catbob
November 30th, 2012, 11:00 AM
As usual with the Cats, if we score 30 points or more, we are pretty much unbeatable.

I'm hoping to get up early and force SB to play from behind, which they are not built for. As some other Cat fan said on our message board, if we score 30, SB can have all the 12 minute drives they want.

This is going to be a great battle. Two teams who do what they do, and don't hide it. MSU is a little more creative on offense, but we don't run any crazy sets or misdirection trickery. We are just a balanced, ball control offense. Rather than run on first down, we'll often do a little 4-5 yard pass to the sidelines. It's as good as a run, and McGhee has a ton of zip on short passes (and too much on long passes unfortunately), and is very accurate both in the pocket and on the run. We are a tough team to stop because McGhee doesn't really have a favorite target, but looks Bleskin's way the most. Bleskin is hopefully 100% for this week - dude catches everything.

I'm worried about SB's run game, but I'm maybe even more concerned about the big play threat to Norrell. We have good cover corners, but they have been beat on 1 on 1 matchups - almost all of them down the sidelines to the edge. We rarely get beat with a WR running in stride. Unfortunately out DBs haven't been able to win those "up for grabs" type throws all season long in 1v1 matchups. With a guy as talented as Norrell, who is going to get his opportunities 1on1, this concerns me.

MTfan4life
November 30th, 2012, 11:26 AM
For the stony brook fans, do you think you can win without your star quarterback and his passing game against MSU? With your back up only going 3 for 6 last game, if I remember correctly, that would give MSU with a great run defense an easier time, I would think.

I've seen overrating of this Essington guy on AGS a little too much. Not necessarily saying you were claiming he was any good, but 'star quarterback' is enough to set me off. Yes, this guy does have very strong pass efficiency numbers, but they are bloated during games where their run game is dominating the other team. When the opposition decides to completely focus on the pass, he is able to pad his stats. However, take a look at some of their closer games this season. First against Syracuse, Essington was 4/19 for 94 yards with 2 INTs and 1 TD. Against Colgate, he was 9/18 with 1 TD/1 INT. Against Liberty when they shut down the run, he was 15/31 with 4 INTs and no TDs. In three key games of the season that is a combined 27/68 with 7 INTs and only 2 TDs. I don't think it's going to be too much of a loss with him being injured. That's just my opinion though.

catbob
November 30th, 2012, 11:37 AM
I've seen overrating of this Essington guy on AGS a little too much. Not necessarily saying you were claiming he was any good, but 'star quarterback' is enough to set me off. Yes, this guy does have very strong pass efficiency numbers, but they are bloated during games where their run game is dominating the other team. When the opposition decides to completely focus on the pass, he is able to pad his stats. However, take a look at some of their closer games this season. First against Syracuse, Essington was 4/19 for 94 yards with 2 INTs and 1 TD. Against Colgate, he was 9/18 with 1 TD/1 INT. Against Liberty when they shut down the run, he was 15/31 with 4 INTs and no TDs. In three key games of the season that is a combined 27/68 with 7 INTs and only 2 TDs. I don't think it's going to be too much of a loss with him being injured. That's just my opinion though.

Indeed, it's not terribly hard to connect on playaction passes when the opposing defense sells out completely on your dominant run game. Efficiency is a great attribute to have as a QB, but if you are throwing 10 or less times a game, it's less impressive.

But when you have a run game like SBs, if you throw one 40 yard TD pass a game, you are going to win a lot of your games.

Jacked_Rabbit
November 30th, 2012, 11:39 AM
I'm taking SB and the points... This was the first game I locked in last Monday when the lines were released. I think MSU will probably end up pulling off a close victory, but I can't see them winning by 14+.

robsnotes4u
November 30th, 2012, 11:40 AM

That is ok. I meant their star, should have said starter instead.

xcoach2
November 30th, 2012, 11:54 AM

We'll find out if MSU's un defense is "great." Hard' to tell in that 7 on 7 conference they play in. Last year MSU's run defense was "great" and they were exposed when they faced stout rushing offenses. Stony Brook's rushing game is legit.

Walkon79
November 30th, 2012, 12:02 PM
We'll find out if MSU's un defense is "great." Hard' to tell in that 7 on 7 conference they play in. Last year MSU's run defense was "great" and they were exposed when they faced stout rushing offenses. Stony Brook's rushing game is legit.

So you think Montana, Montana State, UC Davis and Cal Poly play 7on7?

Your opinion of the Big Sky is about as old as I am :)

Griz_are_Beta_AF
November 30th, 2012, 12:30 PM
As usual with the Cats, if we score 30 points or more, we are pretty much unbeatable.

I'm hoping to get up early and force SB to play from behind, which they are not built for. As some other Cat fan said on our message board, if we score 30, SB can have all the 12 minute drives they want.

This is going to be a great battle. Two teams who do what they do, and don't hide it. MSU is a little more creative on offense, but we don't run any crazy sets or misdirection trickery. We are just a balanced, ball control offense. Rather than run on first down, we'll often do a little 4-5 yard pass to the sidelines. It's as good as a run, and McGhee has a ton of zip on short passes (and too much on long passes unfortunately), and is very accurate both in the pocket and on the run. We are a tough team to stop because McGhee doesn't really have a favorite target, but looks Bleskin's way the most. Bleskin is hopefully 100% for this week - dude catches everything.

I'm worried about SB's run game, but I'm maybe even more concerned about the big play threat to Norrell. We have good cover corners, but they have been beat on 1 on 1 matchups - almost all of them down the sidelines to the edge. We rarely get beat with a WR running in stride. Unfortunately out DBs haven't been able to win those "up for grabs" type throws all season long in 1v1 matchups. With a guy as talented as Norrell, who is going to get his opportunities 1on1, this concerns me.

But since he is by far their biggest threat in the air, we should recognize that and give help to his side of the field. Meaning their QB will be throwing into more double coverages and possibly not take as many shots to get the ball to him..

Griz_are_Beta_AF
November 30th, 2012, 03:28 PM
From Stony Brook's Board

"Greg Logan at Newsday just tweeted that Negron (the backup) will be starting at QB, with Essington to rotate."

ecasadoSBU
November 30th, 2012, 03:33 PM
From Stony Brook's Board

"Greg Logan at Newsday just tweeted that Negron (the backup) will be starting at QB, with Essington to rotate."

yep. Lyle will have to do his best.

Those bruises take long to heal sometimes. I had a bruise that took over a month to heal once. So much internal bleeding and it can hurt a lot when running. Sucks that it had to happen to Essington in the post season

Griz_are_Beta_AF
November 30th, 2012, 05:36 PM
yep. Lyle will have to do his best.

Those bruises take long to heal sometimes. I had a bruise that took over a month to heal once. So much internal bleeding and it can hurt a lot when running. Sucks that it had to happen to Essington in the post season

Yeah terrible timing and not good for SBU, means you'll be even more one sided than usual. And if you fall behind by two scores or more it'll be even more difficult for you to come back. Just over 24 hours till kickoff!

jaghatai
November 30th, 2012, 06:17 PM
Just because Negron only threw 6 passes, it doesn't mean he can't throw.

SBU only saw 3 third downs of more than 6 yards all game, and each of them was in FG range. It would have been foolish to try and throw when the running game was abusively effective.

I think the loss of Essington is almost a complete non-factor. Unless you are looking to give SBU an excuse for losing, or MSU an excuse for giving up a few big plays by "being surprised by that new QB".

CopperCat
November 30th, 2012, 06:24 PM
If a guy is only going through his reads six times in a game I would have to think there would be some rust there. Unless of course he is throwing strictly timing routes or quick outs to the sideline off the snap.

xcoach2
November 30th, 2012, 06:31 PM
If a guy is only going through his reads six times in a game I would have to think there would be some rust there. Unless of course he is throwing strictly timing routes or quick outs to the sideline off the snap.

MSU needs to get their big boy pants on and stop the run. Stony Brook won't pass all game on the Bobcats if they have their way. Having' seen both teams last year I think Stony Brook takes them to pound town. Get ready, Stony Brook runs it to their bench about 80% of the time.

CopperCat
November 30th, 2012, 07:04 PM
MSU needs to get their big boy pants on and stop the run. Stony Brook won't pass all game on the Bobcats if they have their way. Having' seen both teams last year I think Stony Brook takes them to pound town. Get ready, Stony Brook runs it to their bench about 80% of the time.

Cap'n Cat is that you!?

Zach Minter (preseason Buchanan candidate), Jody Owens (Big Sky defensive player of the year), and Caleb Schreibeis (Buchanan finalist) definitely have their big boy pants on. Top five rushing defense in the country.

xcoach2
November 30th, 2012, 07:13 PM
Cap'n Cat is that you!?

Zach Minter (preseason Buchanan candidate), Jody Owens (Big Sky defensive player of the year), and Caleb Schreibeis (Buchanan finalist) definitely have their big boy pants on. Top five rushing defense in the country.

I witnessed that vaunted Bobcat defense lay down and bite the pillow against Sam Houston's rushing attack last year. MSU's run defense is ranked high because of who they've played, not who they are. The week before I saw a physical SBU team. Both teams return a lot. I just see SBU as the more physical bunch. Pardon me if you think I'm underestimating MSU but I can only speak for what I've seen.

catbob
November 30th, 2012, 07:29 PM
I witnessed that vaunted Bobcat defense lay down and bite the pillow against Sam Houston's rushing attack last year. MSU's run defense is ranked high because of who they've played, not who they are. The week before I saw a physical SBU team. Both teams return a lot. I just see SBU as the more physical bunch. Pardon me if you think I'm underestimating MSU but I can only speak for what I've seen.

Oh, did you watch a lot of Cat games this year?

jaghatai
November 30th, 2012, 07:52 PM
SBU's passing game doesn't operate on a precision basis. Much like the rest of their game, it's blunt force. Quick outs, TE screens, and some deep shots off play-action (or if a CB tries to jump a quick out, of course). Nothing sexy, but effective.

xcoach2
November 30th, 2012, 08:16 PM
Oh, did you watch a lot of Cat games this year?

No, but MSU's run defense was ranked (artificially ofc) high last year, right? Were they not?

CopperCat
November 30th, 2012, 09:00 PM
I can see this is pointless. Kickoff in 21 hours. Thank god.

xcoach2
November 30th, 2012, 09:08 PM
I can see this is pointless. Kickoff in 21 hours. Thank god.

Yup. Gut check time IMO opinion for MSU. They have a back up QB in their crosshairs and all they have to do is man-up.

Walkon79
November 30th, 2012, 11:52 PM
Yup. Gut check time IMO opinion for MSU. They have a back up QB in their crosshairs and all they have to do is man-up.

And again, you're hoping they don't because?

You don't want want to have to go on the road.

I get it.

Walkon79
November 30th, 2012, 11:53 PM
Why don't you just admit your true motivation?

xcoach2
December 1st, 2012, 07:39 AM
And again, you're hoping they don't because?

You don't want want to have to go on the road.

I get it.

Sam will probably have to go on the road either way because they're not seeded and SBU has deep pockets. I'd rather face MSU personally. Forgive me for not getting excited about the Bobcat run defense after last year.

fmrbearkat
December 1st, 2012, 10:50 AM
Maybe somebody can straighten this out for me. if stony brook and shsu wins then highest bid wins the next home game? Or does SHSU have the chance to put in a minimum bid to get the game whether SB wants to bid or not?

Catbooster
December 1st, 2012, 10:54 AM
Only the 5 seeded teams get the game with a minimum bid. In other games it's the highest bidder

fmrbearkat
December 1st, 2012, 10:56 AM
Thanks!

catbob
December 1st, 2012, 06:05 PM
Here we go! Cats received, tackled on their own 10.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 1st, 2012, 06:21 PM
The SBU OL is winning so far. Not a good sign for MSU...

catbob
December 1st, 2012, 06:22 PM
The SBU OL is winning so far. Not a good sign for MSU...

Agreed. They are doing a patented SB drive, not good for us.

catbob
December 1st, 2012, 06:23 PM
MSU defense holds in the redzone, and SB shanks the FG.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 1st, 2012, 06:24 PM
MSU defense steps up and forces a SBU FG which they missed. The Bobcat O needs to give the D a break.

SumItUp
December 1st, 2012, 06:24 PM
Is there an online radio feed for this game?

catbob
December 1st, 2012, 06:26 PM
Is there an online radio feed for this game?

http://xlcountry.com/tags/live-music/

catbob
December 1st, 2012, 06:28 PM
Huge TD pass to Bleskin!

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 1st, 2012, 06:29 PM
TD Bobcats!!

McGee to #86!!

robsnotes4u
December 1st, 2012, 06:29 PM
Huge TD pass to Bleskin!

Nice play, now a three and out would nice.

catbob
December 1st, 2012, 06:30 PM
So glad to have Bleskin back, hampered with injuries last two games. He doesn't look fast, or quick, but he runs great routes, is a big target and catches everything.

catbob
December 1st, 2012, 06:34 PM
Need to keep D fresh, force a punt within a few minutes of this drive. xlolx

catbob
December 1st, 2012, 06:35 PM
Wellp, nevermind. :P

caribbeanhen
December 1st, 2012, 06:35 PM
how open was he

catbob
December 1st, 2012, 06:36 PM
Not sure he caught that but pretty damn good catch regardless.

catbob
December 1st, 2012, 06:39 PM
Yup, I told SB fans that they'd probably pick of #37 Flowers... and they are.

catbob
December 1st, 2012, 06:46 PM
MSU D stiffens again in the red zone, aided by a holding penalty on SB, forces a SB FG. 7-3 Cats.

catbob
December 1st, 2012, 06:58 PM
Big TO in the redzone for SB, Cats recover and are driving into SB territory.

catbob
December 1st, 2012, 06:59 PM
McGhee hit and fumbles... C falls on it... phew!

robsnotes4u
December 1st, 2012, 07:01 PM
Cats offense looking good now

catbob
December 1st, 2012, 07:04 PM
Cats drive stalls out, but Perez hits a 40ish yard FG, 10-3 Cats with 4:49 left. Need to keep SB out of the endzone before half.

caribbeanhen
December 1st, 2012, 07:05 PM
where's all the snow.... looks mild

catbob
December 1st, 2012, 07:14 PM
10-3 Cats at half. Seawolves to get the ball in the 2nd half. That will be an important drive for both teams.

wapiti
December 1st, 2012, 07:17 PM

currently about 42 degrees out and a light rain.

CopperCat
December 1st, 2012, 07:45 PM
13-3 BOBCATS

catbob
December 1st, 2012, 07:46 PM
Well Cats stuff SB on their first drive, get to the 1, 1st and goal, go backwards and kick a FG. 13-3 Cats.

CopperCat
December 1st, 2012, 08:08 PM
Need to capitalize on good field position after another three and out defensive stand.

CopperCat
December 1st, 2012, 08:13 PM

In the mountains, duh!

wapiti
December 1st, 2012, 08:30 PM
Attendance: 15,257

kdinva
December 1st, 2012, 08:30 PM
stony cuts it to 13-10.........11:30 to go.

wapiti
December 1st, 2012, 08:31 PM
16 - 10 MSU up

kdinva
Attendance: 15,257

7000 more than in statesboro.......

Pards Rule
Wow a GREAT GAME!!

Pards Rule
December 1st, 2012, 08:45 PM
Score? Time?

kdinva
December 1st, 2012, 08:46 PM
still 16-10...........3:00 to play.

Pards Rule
December 1st, 2012, 08:47 PM
Cats gonna win but great effort by SBU!!!

ITmonarch10
December 1st, 2012, 08:50 PM
The kick is no good xeekx

kdinva
December 1st, 2012, 08:51 PM
The kick is no good xeekx

??

PantherRob82
December 1st, 2012, 08:51 PM
Possession, time?

Pards Rule
December 1st, 2012, 08:52 PM
WTF happened?

Pards Rule
December 1st, 2012, 08:52 PM
EL-A-BOR-ATE!!!

kdinva
December 1st, 2012, 08:53 PM
no livestats on NCAA.com.........nor anywhere else

kdinva
1:00 to play.........16-10

Pards Rule
This is ****** ridic!!! WTF! Like it never even happened (to cop a ServPro standard mark!)

KATS_21
December 1st, 2012, 08:54 PM
Back to back sacks.......

kdinva
December 1st, 2012, 08:54 PM
Back to back sacks.......

by WHO??

ITmonarch10
December 1st, 2012, 08:55 PM
I'm pretty sure that's gg. It does look like he fumbled it.

ITmonarch10
by WHO?? Montana St

NoDak 4 Ever
Clear fumble. Dagger.

bobcathpdevil56
Fumble?

TypicalTribe
Montana State missed 45 yard field goal for 9 point lead. Stony Brook giving up back to back sacks. 4th and very long if last play not ruled a fumble. 3rd down look like a strip sack and recovery for the Bobcats but ruled a sack and no fumble on the field.

Terrible clock management by Stony Brook. Let the whole play clock run before the Montana State field goal and didn't call timeout after the first sack on 2nd down. Down to one timeout and 44 seconds even if play not overturned.

KATS_21
December 1st, 2012, 08:56 PM
and thats a fumble. Call should be reversed and MSU gets their payback game against Sam Houston.

TypicalTribe
December 1st, 2012, 08:56 PM
Call overturned. Montana State ball. Game over.

ITmonarch10
December 1st, 2012, 08:57 PM
WTF happened?

Montana St missed the FG to extend thier lead by 9 points. Montana St got back to back Sacks and forced a fumble and Montana St got the ball back. GG congrats Bobcats

NoDak 4 Ever
and thats a fumble. Call should be reversed and MSU gets their payback game against Sam Houston.

Holy crap is Sam Houston in for a rude awakening in Bozeman.

bobcathpdevil56
Bobcat ball with :35

Pards Rule
December 1st, 2012, 08:58 PM
SHSU better be prepared!

ecasadoSBU
December 1st, 2012, 09:00 PM
Tough loss to swallow but Montana State played great. My Congratulations to all their fans. Just when I thought we had a chance they come up big with the fumble.

wapiti
Bobcat's win 16 - 10

KATS_21
Holy crap is Sam Houston in for a rude awakening in Bozeman.

If the O and playcalling that took place today show up in Bozeman, it will be a looonnnnngggg game. If the O and playcalling from the majority of the season show up, it will be a GREAT game.

uofmman1122
December 1st, 2012, 09:03 PM
If I were a SHSU fan, I'm praying for a warm front moving in for next weekend right now.

If it's colder than 40 degrees, I don't think you guys have a shot. xwhistlex

NoDak 4 Ever
December 1st, 2012, 09:06 PM
If I were a SHSU fan, I'm praying for a warm front moving in for next weekend right now.

Not gonna lie, I'm dying to see some snow.

McNeese75
December 1st, 2012, 09:12 PM
Not gonna lie, I'm dying to see some snow.

Yep, If I was you I would be hoping for snow as well.

NoDak 4 Ever
December 1st, 2012, 09:17 PM
Yep, If I was you I would be hoping for snow as well.

I would just love to see it for entertainment value. I wouldn't care if SHSU makes it to Frisco or not.

There is only one team in this entire field who will beat the Bison this year. The Bison.

Seawolf97
December 1st, 2012, 10:11 PM
Congratulations to the Bobcats for great game! Good Luck going forward in the playoffsxthumbsupx

Texas
December 1st, 2012, 10:18 PM

Aren't half of Montana/Montana State's key players from Texas? I promise you if Sam loses it won't be because it was too "cold".

CopperCat
December 1st, 2012, 10:26 PM
Congratulations to the Bobcats for great game! Good Luck going forward in the playoffsxthumbsupx

Safe travels to the seawolves, good game tonite. You will represent the CAA well next year.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

TheBoyWhoSeaWolf
December 1st, 2012, 11:37 PM
I guess I'm rooting for Montana State now ... tough to lose one so close

Cleets
December 2nd, 2012, 12:50 AM
There is only one team in this entire field who will beat the Bison this year. The Bison.

Pompous... but I like it
(It's also true)

Griz_are_Beta_AF
December 2nd, 2012, 01:35 AM
Aren't half of Montana/Montana State's key players from Texas? I promise you if Sam loses it won't be because it was too "cold".

We have like 18 players, most of those starters from the south. But they've been here for multiple years and have been practicing in it for almost 2 months. I'm not saying SHSU will lose because of weather, I'm just saying that our guys from down south have gotten used to playing in the cold day after day, while SHSU wont be. But again that wont be the reason for a SHSU loss if it does happen.

profisme
December 2nd, 2012, 09:42 AM

Congrats on a good season to Stony Brook. They are a tough, physical team with some classy fans. I'm just glad the Cats were able to limit Maysonet. In the first quarter he had some very nice runs off of a couple cut-backs. Good luck in the CAA next year!

Walkon79
December 2nd, 2012, 10:17 AM
Great game by both defenses. SBU was tough, but our defense was just a little better. What a great night for a football game! The crowd was electric and I'm glad I made the trip! How was it on tv?

robsnotes4u
December 2nd, 2012, 10:43 AM
Congrats on a good season to Stony Brook. They are a tough, physical team with some classy fans. I'm just glad the Cats were able to limit Maysonet. In the first quarter he had some very nice runs off of a couple cut-backs. Good luck in the CAA next year!

The other back, Coker is very impressive also. The QB throws a nice ball and the receiver #3 is Wes Welker like. I was a little scared on the first drive, then the missed the field goal. Probably took awhile for the MSU defense to settle in.

Got scared again with the two pass interference penalties, and lastly the missed field goal.

Very close.

SBU fans on here are classy.

catbob
December 2nd, 2012, 10:53 AM
Congrats to Stony Brook. They have a hell of a team - that playaction is deadly, set up by that tremendous run game. They played with heart, class, and represented their school and conference well. I will be a SB fan from now on! Good luck next year Seawolves.

profisme
December 2nd, 2012, 12:03 PM
The other back, Coker is very impressive also. The QB throws a nice ball and the receiver #3 is Wes Welker like. I was a little scared on the first drive, then the missed the field goal. Probably took awhile for the MSU defense to settle in.

Got scared again with the two pass interference penalties, and lastly the missed field goal.

Very close.

No doubt Coker was impressive, but Maysonet has incredible vision. The Cats had several plays bottled up and he would cut back and make a decent gain. Overall, the Cats tackled very well and it takes great protection to keep Minter, Daly, and Schreibeis out of the backfield.

Griz_are_Beta_AF
December 2nd, 2012, 03:17 PM

Very close.

Coker is far undervalued in my opinion, he's a great back that has proved himself at the FBS level and FCS level, he unfortunately for him is on the same team as one of the top backs in the nation. SBU is a fantastic team, and had a fantastic season. Is Maysonete a senior?

jaghatai
December 2nd, 2012, 05:39 PM
Maysonet is a senior, Coker is a junior. SBU loses the top 2 WR and our QB, but returns the entire offensive line. Next year will be another fun one!

Congratulations to MSU for earning a win. You made plays when you needed to, and capitalized on a few mistakes. Exactly what i'd expect from a top 3 team. Best of luck moving forward. If you're going to lose, i'd like to lose to the champ (or at least the runner-up...)