PDA

View Full Version : Dissolve the MEAC

DSUrocks07
November 24th, 2012, 05:18 PM
The MEAC needs to fold.

If we're Division I then we need to start acting like it. Limiting ourselves to playing all of these HBCUs who have different desires on the direction of their programs doesn't help us at all.

We play to be king of the sandbox and get our asses whooped when we go out on the playground with the other kids. But hey at least we're king of the sandbox. BCU was our best team this season. And look where that has gotten them.

Look at Tennessee State. They're in the OVC and although they still play an HBCU heavy OOC schedule (to their detriment IMO), they're MILES ahead of where the other two HBCU conferences are. Why? Because they play and compete against school that desire to compete on a national level.

But where would its members go? To other regional conferences? Would they all be able to find homes? Which is why the option to dissolve the MEAC and form two conferences to replace it should be on the table.

Coastal Atlantic League:

Delaware State
Morgan State
Hampton
Howard
Norfolk State
NC Central
(Coppin)
(UMES)

Southeast Athletic Conference:

Florida A&M
Bethune-Cookman
Savannah State
SC State
North Carolina A&T
Alabama State?
Alabama A&M?

People talk about the Big South having only six conference games...that leave the door open for them to have FIVE OOC games a year. More OOC games, more opportunities to play schools that have goals of winning FCS championships, which is what we're all supposedly striving for...well most of us I hope. They went 2-0 today. They must be doing something right. We have to give ourselves more opportunities to improve and to gauge our progress at an individual level. It would also help financially with travel costs within the conference as well. Mind you I'm just flinging crap at the wall and seeing what sticks. But after 40 years or existence it is clear to me that SOMETHING needs to be done here... xtwocentsx

caribbeanhen
November 24th, 2012, 07:05 PM
i had hope for UBCC today, Coastal Carolina just seemed like a team the MEAC could of handled..... what went wrong?

DSUrocks07
November 24th, 2012, 07:26 PM
i had hope for UBCC today, Coastal Carolina just seemed like a team the MEAC could of handled..... what went wrong?

Lack of preparedness, composure, fans in the stadium, coaching issues. Just the usual.

slostang
November 24th, 2012, 07:40 PM
Just step up your OOC schedule.

heath
November 24th, 2012, 07:56 PM
stop trying to be HISTORIC. A crutch will get you only so far. Obama wants us all to be less racial and UNITED.........and don't worry about academic standards or college loans

The Eagle's Cliff
November 24th, 2012, 08:22 PM
Not going to happen. The MEAC and SWAC already get more media attention than other FCS conferences because of it's "niche" market. The schools aren't going to stop identifying as HB and the diversity needed to compete nationally won't be realized.

Frankly, the revenue generated from HBC rivalry games is worth staying put for those schools. DSU might not fall into that category, but does DSU qualify for membership to the CAA or NEC?

Each school should look for the best fit. I think SC St should consider the Big South

DFW HOYA
November 24th, 2012, 08:23 PM
For institutional and competitive reasons, most HBCU's are not interested in playing outside the confines of the MEAC/SWAC in Division I and the CIAA/SIAC in Div. II--financially, schools like Mississippi Valley or Savannah State would be hard pressed to stay above water in conferences with more of a commitment to football and other sports.

Those that could play in other conferences (Tenn. St, maybe Del State and Hampton, Central State) are exceptions to the rule.

danefan
November 24th, 2012, 08:24 PM
Not going to happen. The MEAC and SWAC already get more media attention than other FCS conferences because of it's "niche" market. The schools aren't going to stop identifying as HB and the diversity needed to compete nationally won't be realized.

Frankly, the revenue generated from HBC rivalry games is worth staying put for those schools. DSU might not fall into that category, but does DSU qualify for membership to the CAA or NEC?

Each school should look for the best fit. I think SC St should consider the Big South

Sounds like SCST may end up in DII

aceinthehole
November 24th, 2012, 08:25 PM
I would welcome Delaware State to the NEC.

citdog
November 24th, 2012, 09:36 PM
Sounds like SCST may end up in DII

if that happens i will eat my kippa.

SpiritCymbal
November 24th, 2012, 10:31 PM
MEAC doesn't need to be disolved...but their auto-bid needs to be pulled.

Tim James
November 24th, 2012, 11:03 PM
I look at what WSSU has done in D2 the last few years which is win a few playoffs games and I dont see why BCC or FAMU cant do similar types of playoff runs in FCS.

LehighU11
November 24th, 2012, 11:04 PM

I don't think their auto-bid needs to be pulled. Yes, they haven't had success in the playoffs but they played tough against solid teams this year. 9th place Norfolk St beat Liberty on the road, something that Stony Brook couldn't do and Lehigh had difficulty with. Delaware St was within less than 2 scores of Cincinnati until a final minute field goal ended their game 23-7. B-C hung tough with ACC Coastal division champ Miami for the first half.

If you argue that their AQ should be pulled, then in all fairness the same would have to happen to the OVC and perhaps even the NEC with the departure of Albany.

BlueHenSinfonian
November 25th, 2012, 12:42 AM
Let's not lump the MEAC in with the SWAC when it comes to competitiveness. The SWAC-East champion lost to a DII today. The MEAC does a much better job when it comes to variety in scheduling compared to the SWAC (although Savannah State brings money game mongering to a new low) and at least participates in the playoffs. Several of the MEAC schools are also very solid academically, while most of the SWAC schools serve as institutions of last resort for those who had trouble with a more traditional college atmosphere, or who choose to attend college later in life (which isn't to say that they don't provide a valuable service in the educational community, just that a diploma from Southern doesn't carry the same weight as one from Howard. Southern has a 8% graduation rate, Howard has a 69%. For comparison Delaware has a 78% graduation rate, and Lehigh has a 83%).

Changing conferences won't alleviate the problems of HBCUs when it comes to athletics. Right or wrong many non-black athletes won't choose to attend a predominantly black school when they have other options, and even many black student-athletes choose schools that will give them more mainstream exposure. The way that the NCAA calculates APR also doesn't benefit many HBCUs. These schools would have the same challenges in whatever conference they join.

This isn't to say that nothing can be done to help. Obviously the MEAC has benefited greatly when it comes to competitiveness on the field by choosing to engage opponents outside of the traditional HBCU box. It may be time for HBCUs to start downplaying that particular element of their history. Race relations in the US aren't what they were when these institutions were founded, or even what they were 20 years ago. Recruiting and enrolling a more diverse student body would go a long way towards attracting students who are looking for a more balanced social atmosphere at school. TN State is a bit of an out-lier, not only because they play in a non-HBCU conference, but because the school itself merged with UT-Nashville, which had a more traditional enrollment.

R.A.
November 25th, 2012, 01:16 AM
Just step up your OOC schedule.
Go to the MEAC fan page and tell Howard fans to encourage our school to stop scheduling D2 Morehouse... See what happens.

R.A.
November 25th, 2012, 01:20 AM
For institutional and competitive reasons, most HBCU's are not interested in playing outside the confines of the MEAC/SWAC in Division I and the CIAA/SIAC in Div. II--financially, schools like Mississippi Valley or Savannah State would be hard pressed to stay above water in conferences with more of a commitment to football and other sports.

Those that could play in other conferences (Tenn. St, maybe Del State and Hampton, Central State) are exceptions to the rule.

I want Howard to play Georgetown every season... Howard fans on the MEAC fans site, dont want it.

danefan
November 25th, 2012, 05:43 AM
I don't think their auto-bid needs to be pulled. Yes, they haven't had success in the playoffs but they played tough against solid teams this year. 9th place Norfolk St beat Liberty on the road, something that Stony Brook couldn't do and Lehigh had difficulty with. Delaware St was within less than 2 scores of Cincinnati until a final minute field goal ended their game 23-7. B-C hung tough with ACC Coastal division champ Miami for the first half.

If you argue that their AQ should be pulled, then in all fairness the same would have to happen to the OVC and perhaps even the NEC with the departure of Albany.

Uhhum.....the non-Albany NEC won a playoff game yesterday......

kdinva
November 25th, 2012, 07:46 AM
9th place Norfolk St beat Liberty on the road, something that Stony Brook couldn't do......

And I still can't sort that out......... xchinscratchx

aceinthehole
November 25th, 2012, 08:53 AM
Let's not lump the MEAC in with the SWAC when it comes to competitiveness. The SWAC-East champion lost to a DII today. The MEAC does a much better job when it comes to variety in scheduling compared to the SWAC (although Savannah State brings money game mongering to a new low) and at least participates in the playoffs. Several of the MEAC schools are also very solid academically, while most of the SWAC schools serve as institutions of last resort for those who had trouble with a more traditional college atmosphere, or who choose to attend college later in life (which isn't to say that they don't provide a valuable service in the educational community, just that a diploma from Southern doesn't carry the same weight as one from Howard. Southern has a 8% graduation rate, Howard has a 69%. For comparison Delaware has a 78% graduation rate, and Lehigh has a 83%).

Changing conferences won't alleviate the problems of HBCUs when it comes to athletics. Right or wrong many non-black athletes won't choose to attend a predominantly black school when they have other options, and even many black student-athletes choose schools that will give them more mainstream exposure. The way that the NCAA calculates APR also doesn't benefit many HBCUs. These schools would have the same challenges in whatever conference they join.

This isn't to say that nothing can be done to help. Obviously the MEAC has benefited greatly when it comes to competitiveness on the field by choosing to engage opponents outside of the traditional HBCU box. It may be time for HBCUs to start downplaying that particular element of their history. Race relations in the US aren't what they were when these institutions were founded, or even what they were 20 years ago. Recruiting and enrolling a more diverse student body would go a long way towards attracting students who are looking for a more balanced social atmosphere at school. TN State is a bit of an out-lier, not only because they play in a non-HBCU conference, but because the school itself merged with UT-Nashville, which had a more traditional enrollment.

Very good post. CCSU has played both NC Central and Delaware State. Morgan State has also played a few NEC teams. I would love to see more MEAC teams on NEC schedules. For example, I know CCSU recruits the Baltimore and DC area a lot. Howard would be a great team to play.

Although many MEAC schools may have some institutional issues that are unique, their budgets are close to NEC programs. It would be good to see them play more NEC and Big South schools. No doubt they can compete at the FCS level

smallcollegefbfan
November 25th, 2012, 09:54 AM

I'm not a big believer in auto bids. I think they should take them away and the NCAA should select the 20 or 24 best teams, period. If you think about it the SoCon, MVFC, Big Sky, and CAA don't need an auto bid anyway because we all know their outright or co-champion belongs in the field anyway and then that would allow for the best teams to be included. Put a scholarship minimum on teams participating in the playoffs and encourage all leagues who want to be in the playoffs to schedule good OOC games. I need to see Wagner and Colgate on TV play against CAA and SoCon schools. We saw Coastal Carolina against App State and they got pounded so we knew that they would likely not be in the top 3 or 4 in the SoCon or CAA.

I sat down and mapped out who my top 20 teams would be regardless of conference, including the SWAC or Ivy League champ, if they would desire to participate and have the scholarships.

NDSU
Montana State
Eastern Washington
Old Dominion
Georgia Southern
Wofford
Sam Houston State
Appalachian State
Central Arkansas
James Madison
Illinois State
Stony Brook
Cal Poly
South Dakota State
Towson
Richmond
Northern Arizona
Lehigh
New Hampshire
Villanova

The last two spots became tough for me because you could argue EKU, TSU, UTM but you take out BCC, Colgate, Wagner, and Coastal Carolina and look how much stronger the field becomes.

In fact this year you could even say 24 teams and include the 4 OVC teams with a decent resume.

Look at that group of 20 and tell me the field is not much stronger this way? Who can truly complain about being left out of my field based on beating good teams, not having really bad losses, or playing a strong schedule that deserves a shot? With 24 team you could make a case for a 7-4 YSU team being in the field with their win over Pittsburgh.

caribbeanhen
November 25th, 2012, 10:00 AM
Lack of preparedness, composure, fans in the stadium, coaching issues. Just the usual.

hey, congrats on your 4 first team ALL MEAC picks - If you see K.C. down your way you might want to tell your receivers to hide, the Hens could use those two or at least the guy who recruited them.

Mr. C
November 25th, 2012, 10:45 AM
I'm not a big believer in auto bids. I think they should take them away and the NCAA should select the 20 or 24 best teams, period. If you think about it the SoCon, MVFC, Big Sky, and CAA don't need an auto bid anyway because we all know their outright or co-champion belongs in the field anyway and then that would allow for the best teams to be included. Put a scholarship minimum on teams participating in the playoffs and encourage all leagues who want to be in the playoffs to schedule good OOC games. I need to see Wagner and Colgate on TV play against CAA and SoCon schools. We saw Coastal Carolina against App State and they got pounded so we knew that they would likely not be in the top 3 or 4 in the SoCon or CAA.

I sat down and mapped out who my top 20 teams would be regardless of conference, including the SWAC or Ivy League champ, if they would desire to participate and have the scholarships.

NDSU
Montana State
Eastern Washington
Old Dominion
Georgia Southern
Wofford
Sam Houston State
Appalachian State
Central Arkansas
James Madison
Illinois State
Stony Brook
Cal Poly
South Dakota State
Towson
Richmond
Northern Arizona
Lehigh
New Hampshire
Villanova

The last two spots became tough for me because you could argue EKU, TSU, UTM but you take out BCC, Colgate, Wagner, and Coastal Carolina and look how much stronger the field becomes.

In fact this year you could even say 24 teams and include the 4 OVC teams with a decent resume.

Look at that group of 20 and tell me the field is not much stronger this way? Who can truly complain about being left out of my field based on beating good teams, not having really bad losses, or playing a strong schedule that deserves a shot? With 24 team you could make a case for a 7-4 YSU team being in the field with their win over Pittsburgh.

Really dumb idea, as we've discussed privately. Why not just open the NCAA tournament up to only the big boys from the big conferences too. You don't understand the concept of every conference deserving a chance. In your system the little guys would NEVER even get a chance, even if they were good. You just need a committee that has a clue, which this year's version didn't.

kdinva
November 25th, 2012, 10:49 AM
I'm not a big believer in auto bids. I think they should take them away and the NCAA should select the 20 or 24 best teams, period.

nope.........then you would have to do the same for basketball and baseball........you think in last year's hoops tourney, that Lehigh didn't deserve their one chance to beat Dook? Same w/Norfolk St. beating Missouri? Or UNCA having their way with Syracuse for 39 minutes......we just imagined those games, I guess.

unknown3
November 25th, 2012, 11:11 AM

Alabama State is not the SWAC east champion for one. Two, the graduation rate you chose to use from the swac is from Southern's New Orleans Satellite campus. Third, no one else in the MEAC even compares to Howard academically (which is why I'm guessing you chose them to try and make your point.) You try to lift up the MEAC and down the SWAC about competitiveness, when at the end of the day when the two conferences play each other there is still almost no difference in the level of competition whatsoever. The only exception to that has been the BCU/PV game. So much failure in this post.xsmhx I'm still trying to figure out how they have benefitted so greatly to make them so much better than the SWAC when in fact, that same Southern team you refer just beat FAMU this year and they only won 4 games. BCU is basically the only example at this point and hell, they're beating everyone in the MEAC too.

DSUrocks07
November 25th, 2012, 11:30 AM
Alabama State is not the SWAC east champion for one. Two, the graduation rate you chose to use from the swac is from Southern's New Orleans Satellite campus. Third, no one else in the MEAC even compares to Howard academically (which is why I'm guessing you chose them to try and make your point.) You try to lift up the MEAC and down the SWAC about competitiveness, when at the end of the day when the two conferences play each other there is still almost no difference in the level of competition whatsoever. The only exception to that has been the BCU/PV game. So much failure in this post.xsmhx I'm still trying to figure out how they have benefitted so greatly to make them so much better than the SWAC when in fact, that same Southern team you refer just beat FAMU this year and they only won 4 games. BCU is basically the only example at this point and hell, they're beating everyone in the MEAC too.

But that's the thing. There's the MEAC/SWAC and then there's everyone else. For a long time MEAC folks have been telling me that a MEAC team going to the Big South would be a "lateral move". Well obviously it isn't now.

wheatstraw78
November 25th, 2012, 11:36 AM
xsmhxYou should be a shame of yourself.
The MEAC needs to fold.

If we're Division I then we need to start acting like it. Limiting ourselves to playing all of these HBCUs who have different desires on the direction of their programs doesn't help us at all.

We play to be king of the sandbox and get our asses whooped when we go out on the playground with the other kids. But hey at least we're king of the sandbox. BCU was our best team this season. And look where that has gotten them.

Look at Tennessee State. They're in the OVC and although they still play an HBCU heavy OOC schedule (to their detriment IMO), they're MILES ahead of where the other two HBCU conferences are. Why? Because they play and compete against school that desire to compete on a national level.

But where would its members go? To other regional conferences? Would they all be able to find homes? Which is why the option to dissolve the MEAC and form two conferences to replace it should be on the table.

Coastal Atlantic League:

Delaware State
Morgan State
Hampton
Howard
Norfolk State
NC Central
(Coppin)
(UMES)

Florida A&M
Bethune-Cookman
Savannah State
SC State
North Carolina A&T
Alabama State?
Alabama A&M?

People talk about the Big South having only six conference games...that leave the door open for them to have FIVE OOC games a year. More OOC games, more opportunities to play schools that have goals of winning FCS championships, which is what we're all supposedly striving for...well most of us I hope. They went 2-0 today. They must be doing something right. We have to give ourselves more opportunities to improve and to gauge our progress at an individual level. It would also help financially with travel costs within the conference as well. Mind you I'm just flinging crap at the wall and seeing what sticks. But after 40 years or existence it is clear to me that SOMETHING needs to be done here... xtwocentsx

DSUrocks07
November 25th, 2012, 11:44 AM
Emotional reaction without considering the body of the argument. Not surprised. xcoffeex

xsmhxYou should be a shame of yourself.

Because something happened 40 years ago should continue no questions asked. xcoffeex

DSUrocks07
November 25th, 2012, 12:05 PM
Having Alabama State and either Tuskegee or A&M joining the southern MEAC schools in a new conference and all of the mid-atlantic schools joining together in a new conference will give us the following benefits.

Three HBCU conferences of 7 or 8 members
4 possibly 5 OOC games every season for revenue generating AND FCS conpetition.
Much lower travel costs. No more trips from from Tallahassee up to Baltimore in every sport.
Centralizing our fanbases at a more regional level.

If you could take the emotion out of it, on the surface it would be sufficient and would place our schools on a much more stable foundation. One of, if not the biggest benefit of "going back to the CIAA/SIAC" would be the lower travel costs due to playing in a more regional conference. Why can't we have a more regional conference at the D1 level? Our footprint is too large.

This has little to do with BCU's performance yesterday and more to do with the survivability of all of us at this level. If we are "going back to D2" anyways, why can't we look at EVERY OPTION to stay at this level before arbitrarily waving the white flag and heading off into the sunset or is that how business is usually handled in the MEAC? Who cares about missing a couple seasons of autobids to the NCAA tournaments if we won't even be participating in those tournaments by the end of this decade? We have to WANT to put ourselves into the best position we can at an individual level...and to that end tough decisions have to be made.

Yes I would like to see Delaware State in the NEC, but the rest of the conference has tougher decisions to be made. I'm not suggesting that we leave those who cannot make it out in the cold. If we truly are "like-minded institutions" then we have to put everything on the table to stick together if that's the endgame.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 25th, 2012, 12:19 PM
The fans of the MEAC and SWAC fans may be both their biggest asset and their biggest liability. Allow me to explain myself and don't take this the wrong way because both conferences have a lot of fantastic fans that I have met both in person and on the interwebs.

Many of the MEAC and SWAC schools do very well in attendance even if they aren't doing all that well in their season. Look at how many MEAC and SWAC schools there are in the top 25 - there are six, and the best HBCU team isn't even there. Also take into consideration how well-attended and televised many of the "classic" games are.

With these in mind, is there really any incentive for MEAC and SWAC programs to try and be competitive in the FCS at large? Not really.

WileECoyote06
November 25th, 2012, 12:22 PM
nope.........then you would have to do the same for basketball and baseball........you think in last year's hoops tourney, that Lehigh didn't deserve their one chance to beat Dook? Same w/Norfolk St. beating Missouri? Or UNCA having their way with Syracuse for 39 minutes......we just imagined those games, I guess.

I'm glad we've got some sensible posters on here.

But if you like the non-autobid style of selection, you can always adopt the Division II style with earned-access and regionalization. lol

hujo21
November 25th, 2012, 12:25 PM
It is not that HBCUs want to be competitive. Resources, resources. That is all it comes down too. There is nothing wrong with the MEAC. Actually I'm glad the MEAC participate in the playoffs. But until HBCUs increase funding for their programs, we will not be competitive with other FCS schools.

superman7515
November 25th, 2012, 12:41 PM
Delaware State increased their athletics funding, won the MEAC in football and made their first 1AA playoff appearance, won the MEAC in basketball regular season for 3 years in a row and the tournament championship making an appearance in the NCAA tourney... and two years later they announced that after having discussions with the MEAC front office they were lowering their athletics funding to be more in-line with conference mates.

WileECoyote06
November 25th, 2012, 12:48 PM
The fans of the MEAC and SWAC fans may be both their biggest asset and their biggest liability. Allow me to explain myself and don't take this the wrong way because both conferences have a lot of fantastic fans that I have met both in person and on the interwebs.

Many of the MEAC and SWAC schools do very well in attendance even if they aren't doing all that well in their season. Look at how many MEAC and SWAC schools there are in the top 25 - there are six, and the best HBCU team isn't even there. Also take into consideration how well-attended and televised many of the "classic" games are.

With these in mind, is there really any incentive for MEAC and SWAC programs to try and be competitive in the FCS at large? Not really.

And this is the mindset that often infects our administration. Quite honestly, we could easily rescind our autobid and go the way of the SWAC and be okay financially and culturally.

We need to upgrade our schedule, but the only MEAC schools getting any out-of-conference games against the marquee FCS programs are the ones at the bottom of the league. Playoff bubble teams in stronger conferences won't take a chance on losing a game to a team against whom they may be competing for an at-large spot; especially one from a lesser league.

So we're stuck; and the same philosophy affects every non-power conference team. Because we don't usually have the depth and continuity of the power conference teams, we don't get the offer to play until after that team's good run is done. Case in point, I bet a lot of teams won't mind scheduling SC State and Norfolk State now. Liberty's phone is probably ringing too.

But I wholly disagree with dissolving the league .. that's a bit of knee-jerk reaction and ignores things that MEAC has going for it like:

1) Good attendance for most of our teams
2) Most of us get great media coverage in our communities
3) Great rivalries
4) The MEAC continues to be a top mid-major conference in terms of revenues
5) The MEAC enjoys several nationally televised games through our contract with ESPN
6) Shared history and culture and similar institutional missions and goals

If individual schools wish to spin-off and do their own thing, that is certainly their prerogative. Several fans hold the opinion that a few teams leaving the MEAC would be an improvement anyway.

DJnva
November 25th, 2012, 12:52 PM
Alabama State is not the SWAC east champion for one. Two, the graduation rate you chose to use from the swac is from Southern's New Orleans Satellite campus. .

He could have quoted the actual graduation rate of 27% and still made his point though...

WileECoyote06
November 25th, 2012, 12:58 PM
It is not that HBCUs want to be competitive. Resources, resources. That is all it comes down too. There is nothing wrong with the MEAC. Actually I'm glad the MEAC participate in the playoffs. But until HBCUs increase funding for their programs, we will not be competitive with other FCS schools.

Yep. . .that was one of my primary arguments with Hampton fans when they thought they may get a CAA invite. Why are you willing to double your athletic budget to compete in the CAA; yet you're unwilling to double your athletic budget and dominate the MEAC? What's the difference? As a private school they can do whatever they want to do in terms of athletic fees.

But alas, it doesn't just stop there. .. we are recruiting against private schools that on average charge their students much more than our private schools charge; and public schools whose enrollment nearly double most of our schools, as well as state-flagship colleges. FCS is just a weird division. The point is, football competitiveness is out of our hands right now, until we fix the other issues. Until then, there is no amount of talking, conference shifting or dissolving that will fix anything.

But I would advocate for them to get rid of the current match-up process and go back to seeding the field at a national level.

DJnva
November 25th, 2012, 01:02 PM
Yep. . .that was one of my primary arguments with Hampton fans when they thought they may get a CAA invite. Why are you willing to double your athletic budget to compete in the CAA; yet you're unwilling to double your athletic budget and dominate the MEAC? What's the difference? As a private school they can do whatever they want to do in terms of athletic fees.

There is a difference though. Why double the budget when they feel they are getting enough return on their dollar now in terms of results on the field? If they moved, the return on that dollar would be much less, meaning an increase would be needed.

WileECoyote06
November 25th, 2012, 01:08 PM
There is a difference though. Why double the budget when they feel they are getting enough return on their dollar now in terms of results on the field? If they moved, the return on that dollar would be much less, meaning an increase would be needed.

You're adding to my point. It's kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy. Wile E Sr always says, " You get 'exactly' what you're willing to pay for. "

dgreco
November 25th, 2012, 02:00 PM
I am sure other NEC fans agree with me, but I would love to see Delaware State in the NEC as a full member

BluBengal07
November 25th, 2012, 06:32 PM
"The Experts" xcoffeex

DSUrocks07
November 25th, 2012, 07:48 PM
http://www.ttouchwebdesign.com/whereteamsplay/ncaa/map-usa-w570x320-coll-meac-final.gif

Draw a line at the NC/SC border. There's your two conferences. Bringing over Alabama State, Alabama A&M and (Tuskegee/Atlanta area D2) and there you go. I could argue that the Southern MEAC schools have more in common with each other than they do with the Northern ones and vice versa. It would give us another seat at the table in the NCAA hierarchy, and the SWAC would be down to 8 members, effectively taking the SCG off the table and allowing them to participate in the FCS playoffs should they so desire (minus, Gram/SU of course) And nothing says that the three HBCU conferences couldn't schedule home-and-homes with each other in OOC games either.

Not sure where this thread took the tone of myself advocated the destruction of HBCU football...xconfusedx

Quite the opposite. I feel that this could potentially save it at the D1 level.

Tubby Raymond
November 25th, 2012, 08:00 PM
Really dumb idea, as we've discussed privately. Why not just open the NCAA tournament up to only the big boys from the big conferences too. You don't understand the concept of every conference deserving a chance. In your system the little guys would NEVER even get a chance, even if they were good. You just need a committee that has a clue, which this year's version didn't.Nice to see the mod respecting others opinions

VT Wildcat Fan53
November 25th, 2012, 09:16 PM
xthumbsupx Well said.

Really dumb idea, as we've discussed privately. Why not just open the NCAA tournament up to only the big boys from the big conferences too. You don't understand the concept of every conference deserving a chance. In your system the little guys would NEVER even get a chance, even if they were good. You just need a committee that has a clue, which this year's version didn't.

pike51
November 26th, 2012, 09:48 AM
http://www.ttouchwebdesign.com/whereteamsplay/ncaa/map-usa-w570x320-coll-meac-final.gif

Just wondering... what is "DeLaware"? Or a NeVada? I see what they did by Caps the letters in the abbreviation, but it still looks funny and changes the way you'd say it. "Dey-Laware". LOL

superman7515
November 26th, 2012, 10:02 AM
Delaware is DE, not DL, so it still doesn't make any sense.

JagHammer
November 26th, 2012, 11:08 AM

There is so much wrong in this post, I do not know where to start. While Southern's graduation rate is nothing to brag about, it is much better than eight percent.
In addition, Alabama State was the East runner-up this year, not the champion, so do a little more research before posting such "facts." However, I agree we must put a better product on the field.

Sonic98
November 30th, 2012, 11:39 AM
The MEAC needs to fold.

Coastal Atlantic League:

Delaware State
Morgan State
Hampton
Howard
Norfolk State
NC Central
(Coppin)
(UMES)

Florida A&M
Bethune-Cookman
Savannah State
SC State
North Carolina A&T
Alabama State?
Alabama A&M?

I don't think we need to dissolve the MEAC. They just need to be smarter about the way they do business. First of all they're in the same situation as the SWAC. They're not playing enough good OOC games. Second, they need to take this as a learning experience. BCU lost to CCU. They need to look at where their weaknesses were against CCU from both a playing and coaching standpoint and fix that. One problem they had was the talent on the DL and OL. Another issue was depth and stamina. Those are things that ate fixable. They need to focus more on those positions in recruiting even if it means one less player at another position they usually recruit heavily. They need to look at how their coaches handle off-season preparation, drills, and conditioning compared to better FCS teams. They need to look at what positions they choose to have depth at as opposed to others. I still think BCU or the Jackson State teams back in the day could have pulled off a victory with a better OOC schedule to prepare them in the regular season