PDA

View Full Version : Instant Replay at All Playoff Games

Anovafan
November 21st, 2012, 12:18 PM
Just read the 2012 FCS Playoff Guidelines and read that there will be instant replay at all playoff games. I didn't know that.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/nacda/sports/div1aaaada/auto_pdf/2012-13/misc_non_event/adminguidelines.pdf?CONTENT_ID=251746&DB_OEM_ID=12300

I can't recall exactly how it works during the game. Can coaches challenge plays or is it all booth review? I think it is only booth review, but if a coach calls a timeout, that gives them more time to look at the play in question?

The guidelines had a few other interesting things in there too.

Sycamore62
November 21st, 2012, 12:35 PM
I think they will be using the ESPN3 app on an xbox on the sideline.

Professor Chaos
November 21st, 2012, 12:38 PM
The last two years replay wasn't available until the quarterfinals. I'm glad to see this change.

Also good to see that 2 quarterfinals, both semifinals, and the championship game will still be televised on ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU.

md64179
November 21st, 2012, 12:45 PM
That is a wonderful change. I wonder if they would ever consider replay in all FCS games, not just the playoffs?

Mr. C
November 21st, 2012, 12:50 PM
It will be fine to have replay, if the replay officials actually get the calls right. There were MAJOR blunders in the 2010 playoffs in both the semifinals and the championship game.

Mr. C
November 21st, 2012, 12:51 PM
That is a wonderful change. I wonder if they would ever consider replay in all FCS games, not just the playoffs?

That is an issue with having the equipment to do it at all FCS venues. Places like Appalachian State and Liberty have those capabilities, but not all FCS stadiums do.

HailSzczur
November 21st, 2012, 12:54 PM
It will be fine to have replay, if the replay officials actually get the calls right. There were MAJOR blunders in the 2010 playoffs in both the semifinals and the championship game.

You consider the championship game a MAJOR blunder? As a Nova fan I consider it the hand of God :D

DFW HOYA
November 21st, 2012, 01:07 PM

This would assume TV coverage at all games, which doesn't happen.

Mr. C
November 21st, 2012, 01:21 PM
You consider the championship game a MAJOR blunder? As a Nova fan I consider it the hand of God :D

More like the Chain Gang of God.

Professor Chaos
November 21st, 2012, 01:21 PM
You didn't have to wait until the semis to see the replay system fail in 2010...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdRyGV0kJuY

Mr. C
November 21st, 2012, 01:22 PM

If the replay guy hadn't let that bogus strip of Angelo Babaro on the kickoff return stand for a touchdown, it might have been a Villanova-Delaware rematch in the title game. That would have been fun, considering the first Battle of the Blue that year ended with a dramatic overtime game.

Mr. C
November 21st, 2012, 01:23 PM
You didn't have to wait until the semis to see the replay system fail in 2010...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdRyGV0kJuY

I almost mentioned that one, too.

Mr. C
November 21st, 2012, 01:27 PM
It's amazing that the replay officials made three critical calls in all three of those games and got ALL THREE of the plays wrong.

The problem I've seen with replay officials (and I've covered six FBS-FCS games this season) is that the replay officials are often reluctant to overrule what the officials call on the field. I was just having that discussion with one of the CAA official observers last Saturday at Delaware.

WrenFGun
November 21st, 2012, 02:24 PM
It's amazing that the replay officials made three critical calls in all three of those games and got ALL THREE of the plays wrong.

The problem I've seen with replay officials (and I've covered six FBS-FCS games this season) is that the replay officials are often reluctant to overrule what the officials call on the field. I was just having that discussion with one of the CAA official observers last Saturday at Delaware.

I'd say the same thing; it's very easy to say, "the evidence wasn't conclusive" and step out of the spotlight. I'm not CERTAIN that EWU play is conclusive, though it should've been called down to start.

Walkon79
November 21st, 2012, 07:12 PM
I almost mentioned that one, too.

Pretty clear to anyone watching that he was down. I still don't understand why this wasn't overturned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reign of Terrier
November 21st, 2012, 08:12 PM
good call. this is needed.

Vitojr130
November 23rd, 2012, 09:51 PM
Pretty clear to anyone watching that he was down. I still don't understand why this wasn't overturned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nobody but EWU fans understand why the play stood... I remember watching this game on TV and everyone in the room was confident it would be overturned and he would have had another shot with only inches to go...

Meh, it's over now. NDSU is on our way to #2 since that God-awful call.

Bisonoline
November 23rd, 2012, 10:16 PM

Then you have to ask what is the job of the replay official? No reason to have them if they dont have the nut sack to over turn a call when its wrong.

seantaylor
November 24th, 2012, 01:54 AM
College replay is a joke. Just look at the Penn State-Nebraska game. The NCAA doesn't want to admit how incompetent the officials are, so the replay official will only overturn a play once in a blue moon.