PDA

View Full Version : Lafayette - Lehigh to meet for 150th time in November 14, 2014 at Yankee Stadium

Go...gate
November 20th, 2012, 10:27 PM
There is a Press Release on the New York Yankees website about this. If so, my hats off to the two schools.

CORRECTION: Game is scheduled for November 22, 2014.

mmiller_34
November 20th, 2012, 11:13 PM
This will be really cool to watch. I wonder how much $$$ they threw down on this to make it happen?

344Johnson
November 20th, 2012, 11:37 PM
It'd be great if they could get a full house for it.

Wish more teams would pull this sort of thing off.

Georgia Southern vs. App in a in between FBS venue.
NDSU/UNI in Minneapolis.

Plenty of others could do something awesome as well.

813Jag
November 21st, 2012, 07:13 AM
Nice move! xthumbsupx

Engineer86
November 21st, 2012, 07:17 AM
Doubt the stadium will be filled and I am not thrilled about the need to bus students two hours to the game. I would have prefferred they kept it on site, but if it adds to the profile of the Schools I understand why they did it.

Pards Rule
November 22nd, 2012, 07:34 AM
I will be there - it will be my 35th game. Only other time they did not play in Easton or Bethlehem was in 1891 when the game was held in Wilkes-Barre, PA

kdinva
November 22nd, 2012, 08:36 AM
Georgia Southern vs. App in a in between FBS venue.

play that game in Williams-Bryce, in Columbia......

ngineer
November 22nd, 2012, 08:49 AM
I will be there - it will be my 35th game. Only other time they did not play in Easton or Bethlehem was in 1891 when the game was held in Wilkes-Barre, PA

Yes, and the bedlam that ensued caused the City Council to pass a resolution ordering that "the Game" never return! Even then, with the rivalry only 7 years old!

#150 will be my 44th game, so I'm looking forward to the 'uniqueness' of that game, however, I agree with other sentiments that I would have preferred to keep the game local. I understand the marketing and attention this will give the schools, but I think it is to the detriment of the students and some alums who are local and won't be able to attend. Still there are tons of alums from both schools within two hours of Yankee Stadium. Logistics on transportation of thousands of students, tailgating,etc. will be dicey. I would hope a crowd of between 30-40,000. Basically double what is usually drawn should create a good "gate", but I hope prices are kept reasonable. This year's ticket was $25. I think there is also a decent chance of the game getting regional if not national TV exposure. Negotiations are still occurring on this angle and some hope ESPN Game Day would originate from "The Game". So while I have mixed feelings on the move of Game #150, now that the decision is made, I will support the efforts undertaken to make it a success. I've already heard that his announcement has had some impact on recruiting for both schools in elevating interest by underscoring the unique and historical traditions of these long time football rivals. Talk about a once in a life time event for kids who are not going to college to get discovered to play pro football as their number one goal. Something very exciting to look forward to. And should both schools come into The Game with the PL Championship on the line, they want to open the upper deck, which I understand, at the moment, will be closed keeping the crowd to the first few tiers with capacity capped around 36-40,000.