PDA

View Full Version : FCS Playoffs on ESPN3 only - take action!

bisonnation
November 20th, 2012, 03:14 PM
First round FCS Playoff Games are only available on ESPN3. You can't find it on your TV dial because ESPN3 is not a TV network. It is an online streaming service available only through select cable/internet providers. These providers pay money to ESPN to provide content. The problem is, ESPN3 is not available in many areas.

It is not clear whether or not any game outside of the National Championship will be broadcast on ESPN or ESPN Gameplan. (When I watched the selection show, they all said espn3)

Please contact ESPN and tell them you want to see the FCS Playoffs!!

Do not be silent on this or we will continue to see less and less coverage!! Last year they caved and put the games on Gameplan. This year they haven't caved yet and we're only 4 days away from game time!

EMAIL: [email protected]
WEB FORM: http://espn.go.com/espn/contact
TWITTER: @ESPN_FanCentral
PHONE: 1-888-549-ESPN (select option 3)

OR – Tweet the following ESPN college relations staff:
@MsPotts_ESPN
@AllieStoneberg
@MikeHumesESPN
@Gracie_ESPNU
@ckreiswirthESPN

NoDak 4 Ever
November 20th, 2012, 03:16 PM
www.thefirstrow.eu

ESPN is not going to change. They didn't last year.

bisonnation
November 20th, 2012, 03:19 PM
www.thefirstrow.eu

ESPN is not going to change. They didn't last year.

No they made changes last year but only after getting thousands of complaints.
Last year they went from ESPN3 only to ESPN Gameplan + ESPN3
and they broadcast NDSU vs Georgia Southern, Montana vs Northern Iowa, Montana vs Sam Houston, and Sam Houston vs Montana State game on ESPN2 or ESPNU
According to the selection show, they were only on ESPN3

Actually, they even broadcast the first round game of James Madison @ Eastern Kentucky! They are hoping we remain silent.

bluehenbillk
November 20th, 2012, 03:25 PM
Last season there were at least 6 televised games on the ESPN family of networks I believe. One opening round game, one round of 16 game, one round of 8 game, both semis & the NC. Until the Ocho is born that's about all you're going to get....

Otherwise hook ESPN3 or www.firstrowsports.eu up to your big screen if you don't have a ticket.

bullitt_60
November 20th, 2012, 03:51 PM
Honest question, what providers do not offer espn 3? I thought it was pretty standard everywhere?

For those that do have 'The Ocho', I recommend viewing through the xbox's application. I bought a xbox specifically to watch sportscar racing, FCS football, and other obscure sports. It's absolutely brilliant.

tingly
November 20th, 2012, 03:56 PM
They don't care about complaints. We're watching either way. The lack of anything else to air is what will get them to move games to TV channels.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 20th, 2012, 04:04 PM
Honest question, what providers do not offer espn 3? I thought it was pretty standard everywhere?

For those that do have 'The Ocho', I recommend viewing through the xbox's application. I bought a xbox specifically to watch sportscar racing, FCS football, and other obscure sports. It's absolutely brilliant.

Time Warner doesn't have it unless you have their cable tv. I have DirecTv and was shut out last year. I switched internet providers.

Unfortunately. Fargo has only one cable internet provider and it doesn't carry ESPN 3. No options within the city limits. It is pretty bull****.

clenz
November 20th, 2012, 04:09 PM
I, just like last year, am willing to help those without it out. Send me a pm for details and help

Sent from the nexus of the universe

bisonnation
November 20th, 2012, 04:21 PM

CenturyLink, DirecTV, Dish, CableOne, Time Warner... it's a massive list.

caribbeanhen
November 20th, 2012, 04:26 PM

ESPN3 Not available down here in the Caribbean, But then again I'am probably the only guy down here that wants to watch FCS 1aa playoffs. Last year a big christmas was sent down from the North Dakota and is was wonderful....

Gordon Shumway
November 20th, 2012, 04:32 PM

Time Warner has it.

jonmac
November 20th, 2012, 04:35 PM

I also thought CenturyLink did not provide ESPN3 but when we upgraded to 10mbs it is now available. It was funny, I tried to watch a few days before our upgrade went into effect just to check and got nothing but after the upgrade took effect there it was. I've been using my XBox because of the cheap initial Gold offer but I will let that go and just hook the laptop up to the 55" LED.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 20th, 2012, 04:40 PM
Originally Posted by bisonnation (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?p=1898555)

Time Warner has it.
Only if you carry the TV. Not internet only. That's why I switched

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

bisonnation
November 20th, 2012, 04:59 PM
I also thought CenturyLink did not provide ESPN3 but when we upgraded to 10mbs it is now available. It was funny, I tried to watch a few days before our upgrade went into effect just to check and got nothing but after the upgrade took effect there it was. I've been using my XBox because of the cheap initial Gold offer but I will let that go and just hook the laptop up to the 55" LED.

CenturyLink doesn't offer it. I live in Fargo and have CenturyLink. My Xbox has an ESPN app on it but it's not the same. I tried it last year. I can watch some ESPN on my cell phone too but not ESPN3 live games. I read somewhere about a glitch with xbox though.

BisonFan02
November 20th, 2012, 05:08 PM
Loretel in Glyndon has ESPN3 :D

bisonnation
November 20th, 2012, 05:13 PM
I think everyone is missing the point. Nobody cares who has ESPN3 or not. Do you want to watch your team play on TV or in front of a computer? Seriously?

Southern Bison
November 20th, 2012, 05:22 PM
I talked with the NDSU Alumni Assoc. today and they have the US Senators & Congressman from ND on board and speaking with ESPN to get the 1st round games onto TV coverage (ESPNU/ESPN2).

bisonguy
November 20th, 2012, 05:29 PM
I talked with the NDSU Alumni Assoc. today and they have the US Senators & Congressman from ND on board and speaking with ESPN to get the 1st round games onto TV coverage (ESPNU/ESPN2).

If anything can get the Bison on TV, it's John Hoeven's moustache.

JSUBison
November 20th, 2012, 06:03 PM
If anything can get the Bison on TV, it's John Hoeven's moustache.

It is a powerful stache indeed, but I think bringing along Heidi's firecrotch will guarantee success.

bojeta
November 20th, 2012, 06:13 PM

Any chance you could give more detail for those of us not into video games? Is there a monthly fee for this? Thanks!

NoDak 4 Ever
November 20th, 2012, 06:19 PM
Any chance you could give more detail for those of us not into video games? Is there a monthly fee for this? Thanks!

Xbox Live is required. It's a Microsoft thing. Need it for Netflix and other stuff too. Can be had as cheaply as $35 a year but retails for $60.

If you don't have an XBox and have a internet service provider that carries ESPN3 you can watch it through your computer.

Jacked_Rabbit
November 20th, 2012, 06:59 PM
I have DirecTV & CenturyLink and will not be able to watch the SDSU/EIU game this weekend (unless it is on FirstRow), so as you can imagine, I am extremely pissed. Last time we played on ESPN3 - I think it was against YSU a few weeks ago - I had to watch the game on my iPhone's Watch ESPN App. You think watching a game on a computer scren sucks, try watching it on a 3 inch iPhone!!!

I've complained to both ESPN and CenturyLink today. Bad news, neither of them could honesetly give 2 *****s about my problems. Good news, CenturyLink took 50% off my bill for the next year for not leaving them today.

I'm just banking on FirstRow right now...

jonmac
November 20th, 2012, 07:10 PM
CenturyLink doesn't offer it. I live in Fargo and have CenturyLink. My Xbox has an ESPN app on it but it's not the same. I tried it last year. I can watch some ESPN on my cell phone too but not ESPN3 live games. I read somewhere about a glitch with xbox though.

What speed do you have? As I mentioned, once we upgraded to 10mbs I am now able to watch ESPN 3 on my PC and XBox. I have not called CenturyLink to ask any questions because I'm glad it finally showed up. I cannot, however, watch programming carried on WatchESPN. That is evidentally provided through cable providers. So I could not watch the selection show. From what I hearing on here I did not miss much though.

I think everyone is missing the point. Nobody cares who has ESPN3 or not. Do you want to watch your team play on TV or in front of a computer? Seriously?

I hook my laptop up to my 55" or watch on XBox on the 55". But I would rather not have to do that and have the games on TV. I am, however, in the process of kicking cable because we watch most of our TV on Hulu or ESPN3. We have installed an antenna to receive HD through the air.

I have DirecTV & CenturyLink and will not be able to watch the SDSU/EIU game this weekend (unless it is on FirstRow), so as you can imagine, I am extremely pissed. Last time we played on ESPN3 - I think it was against YSU a few weeks ago - I had to watch the game on my iPhone's Watch ESPN App. You think watching a game on a computer scren sucks, try watching it on a 3 inch iPhone!!!

I've complained to both ESPN and CenturyLink today. Bad news, neither of them could honesetly give 2 *****s about my problems. Good news, CenturyLink took 50% off my bill for the next year for not leaving them today.

I have a feeling that ESPN will offer their signal to regional outlets. I think they did that last year.

We got a really good deal on our upgrade to 10mbs. And our price won't change for 5 years. Also got free long distance for a year, though we use our cellphones for most of that anyway. All you folks who have CenturyLink should look into the upgrade. It's not advertised but, like I said, when we upgraded ESPN3 magically appeared.

Jacked_Rabbit
November 20th, 2012, 07:26 PM
We got a really good deal on our upgrade to 10mbs. And our price won't change for 5 years. Also got free long distance for a year, though we use our cellphones for most of that anyway. All you folks who have CenturyLink should look into the upgrade. It's not advertised but, like I said, when we upgraded ESPN3 magically appeared.

Which Internet Service Provider do you choose from the drop-down list on ESPN3.com then? CenturyLink isn't even an option on that list, so I'm confused as to how it could magically start working after your upgrade.

SpiritCymbal
November 20th, 2012, 07:45 PM

ESPN 3 isn't available in Southern California unless you have both Time Warner Cable and internet.

MR. CHICKEN
November 20th, 2012, 08:47 PM
ANY CHANCE...COMCAST PICKS UP 'NOVA/S.B?....MAYBEAH...MASN......PICKS UP...BETHUNE-COOKMAN/CCU?......AWK!

Hammerhead
November 20th, 2012, 09:04 PM
Our development is on a WAN and our HOA assessments include a dedicated 100 Mbps internet connection. I would have to pay $40/month to upgrade to the 1 Gbps on the fiber optic line to get espn3. I might consider doing that if I can't find a espn3 login to "borrow" even though 100 Mbps is fast enough to download HD movies on demand from DirecTV over the internet in realtime. :)

bisonnation
November 20th, 2012, 09:09 PM
What speed do you have? As I mentioned, once we upgraded to 10mbs I am now able to watch ESPN 3 on my PC and XBox. I have not called CenturyLink to ask any questions because I'm glad it finally showed up. I cannot, however, watch programming carried on WatchESPN. That is evidentally provided through cable providers. So I could not watch the selection show. From what I hearing on here I did not miss much though.

I hook my laptop up to my 55" or watch on XBox on the 55". But I would rather not have to do that and have the games on TV. I am, however, in the process of kicking cable because we watch most of our TV on Hulu or ESPN3. We have installed an antenna to receive HD through the air.

I have a feeling that ESPN will offer their signal to regional outlets. I think they did that last year.

Last year they put all the first 2 rounds on ESPN Gameplan but only because the Griz and Cat fans raised holy hell. They started a facebook page that went viral. This year I dont see any efforts. I don't think thats going to happen for Saturday because were only 3 days till game time and one is a holiday . The best effort is to shoot for the following week.

Is anyone willing to start a Facebook group to broadcast the playoffs? What about an online petition, like change.org

MR. CHICKEN
November 20th, 2012, 09:11 PM
Our development is on a WAN and our HOA assessments include a dedicated 100 Mbps internet connection. I would have to pay $40/month to upgrade to the 1 Gbps on the fiber optic line to get espn3. I might consider doing that if I can't find a espn3 login to "borrow" even though 100 Mbps is fast enough to download HD movies on demand from DirecTV over the internet in realtime. :)

17269.....WATTAH DIS MEAN.... IN RETIREE....SPEAK....xconfusedx.....BRAWK!

Southern Bison
November 20th, 2012, 09:14 PM
It is a powerful stache indeed, but I think bringing along Heidi's firecrotch will guarantee success.

That is so wrong on so many levels. Did you see this article? http://news.investors.com/politics-andrew-malcolm/020612-600162-republicans-enjoy-a-better-sex-life-than-liberals.htm

bjtheflamesfan
November 20th, 2012, 09:35 PM
Last year they put all the first 2 rounds on ESPN Gameplan but only because the Griz and Cat fans raised holy hell. They started a facebook page that went viral. This year I dont see any efforts. I don't think thats going to happen for Saturday because were only 3 days till game time and one is a holiday . The best effort is to shoot for the following week.

Is anyone willing to start a Facebook group to broadcast the playoffs? What about an online petition, like change.org

umm...looked in a mirror the last couple days?

Hammerhead
November 20th, 2012, 09:51 PM
There are only 13 FBS games scheduled on Saturday, the 1st and one of those is on the Pac-12 network. The only FBS game on the 8th is Army/Navy on CBS. Surely they could put some of the playoff games on Gameplan again after the first round.

jonmac
November 20th, 2012, 10:07 PM
I don't have to choose any provider. I just got on there and the viewing choices come right up. I'm watching Cricket right now, well not really.

Walkon79
November 20th, 2012, 10:29 PM
Please just give it a shot to encourage them to put the games on Game Plan. We probably won't get the Griz support, but its a big issue in Montana and North Dakota!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clenz
November 20th, 2012, 10:51 PM
I don't have to choose any provider. I just got on there and the viewing choices come right up. I'm watching Cricket right now, well not really.
You're provider probably has ESPN3 then...if that is the case you don't need to pick because it automatically syncs.

bisonnation
November 20th, 2012, 11:48 PM
Dom Izzo (@DomIzzoWDAY) ESPN representative tells me NO #FCSPlayoffs games this weekend will be adding to ESPN Gameplan, meaning it's just ESPN3 to be able to watch

Guys Im telling you they are not going to broadcast anything. They are hoping nobody cares. If your team isn't in the playoffs you should care because ESPN is setting a precedent now so next year you will get nothing. Call and email them now. [email protected]

alvinkayak6
November 21st, 2012, 12:43 AM
I'm all for raining down fury on the 3 and 4 letter entertainment corporatist-propaganda hamsters, but let's not be so delusional to think sending a tweet at them is anything more than a pitiful plea for decreased predation from the content masters that is completely indistinguishable from all other tweets they receive. If you don't threaten their revenue stream (i.e. mass boycott), they will not change.

First round FCS Playoff Games are only available on ESPN3. You can't find it on your TV dial because ESPN3 is not a TV network. It is an online streaming service available only through select cable/internet providers. These providers pay money to ESPN to provide content. The problem is, ESPN3 is not available in many areas.

It is not clear whether or not any game outside of the National Championship will be broadcast on ESPN or ESPN Gameplan. (When I watched the selection show, they all said espn3)

Please contact ESPN and tell them you want to see the FCS Playoffs!!

Do not be silent on this or we will continue to see less and less coverage!! Last year they caved and put the games on Gameplan. This year they haven't caved yet and we're only 4 days away from game time!

EMAIL: [email protected]
WEB FORM: http://espn.go.com/espn/contact
TWITTER: @ESPN_FanCentral
PHONE: 1-888-549-ESPN (select option 3)

OR – Tweet the following ESPN college relations staff:
@MsPotts_ESPN
@AllieStoneberg
@MikeHumesESPN
@Gracie_ESPNU
@ckreiswirthESPN

Twentysix
November 21st, 2012, 12:53 AM
I'm all for raining down fury on the 3 and 4 letter entertainment corporatist-propaganda hamsters, but let's not be so delusional to think sending a tweet at them is anything more than a pitiful plea for decreased predation from the content masters that is completely indistinguishable from all other tweets they receive. If you don't threaten their revenue stream (i.e. mass boycott), they will not change.

Last year US Congressmen from Montana and ND had a stern talking to with ESPN. People crying to customer service lines did nothing.

SpiritCymbal
November 21st, 2012, 02:41 AM
Last year US Congressmen from Montana and ND had a stern talking to with ESPN. People crying to customer service lines did nothing.

Exactly. What are we gonna do if they don't put the games on TV? Watch the games on another channel? Nope. That's not an option.

Just accept the fact that very, very, very few people give a rats-*** about 1-aa ball anymore. Be glad that they're even willing to put the games on ESPN3.

bisonnation
November 21st, 2012, 03:45 AM
Exactly. What are we gonna do if they don't put the games on TV? Watch the games on another channel? Nope. That's not an option.

Just accept the fact that very, very, very few people give a rats-*** about 1-aa ball anymore. Be glad that they're even willing to put the games on ESPN3.

Last year the playoffs had the highest attendance of all time. FCS attendance was the 3rd highest of all time in 2010. http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ncaa/resources/latest+news/2011/february/ncaa+football+attendance+reaches+new+heights
Just because ESPN wants to hide it doesn't mean people don't care.
Depends where you live. Its a big deal in the midwest and the east. NDSU has virtually every regular season game on statewide NBC. 2 games were simulcast on Fox College Sports and 5 were simulcast on ESPN3. Even our spring game was televised on statewide tv. Montana has a similar deal.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 21st, 2012, 04:41 AM

Firstrow will work because the ESPN3 feeds are pretty reliable.

Hammerhead
November 21st, 2012, 08:01 AM
I tried using firstrow last weekend and it didn't work on my laptop which is about 4 years old and runs Windows XP. It just said I needed to to upgrade a video player, but clicking the button never did anything.

I then tried downloading the app on my newer desktop and Norton identified the executable as threat and wouldn't save it. :)

CHIP72
November 21st, 2012, 08:01 AM
ANY CHANCE...COMCAST PICKS UP 'NOVA/S.B?....MAYBEAH...MASN......PICKS UP...BETHUNE-COOKMAN/CCU?......AWK!

What kind of presence does Comcast (and more specifically, the Comcast Network channel) have on Long Island? I could see CSN Philadelphia or the Comcast Network Philadelphia picking up Villanova/Stony Brook (and hope they do).

EDIT: Just checked the CSN Philadelphia site - no Villanova/Stony Brook as of right now.

I'll have to see if I can get ESPN3 on the smartphone. I've had trouble doing so in the past when the game was a non-ESPN/ESPN2 game, but I was able to get the Bloomsburg/Shippensburg Division II playoff game on ESPN3 on my Samsung Galaxy Nexus this past Saturday (while watching the Shepherd/IUP Division II playoff game on the computer and the Lehigh/Lafayette and Temple/Army games on TV).

LouiseBFree
November 21st, 2012, 08:08 AM
Looking forward to watching all the action on ESPN3 and the WatchESPN app. Great stuff!

What kind of presence does Comcast (and more specifically, the Comcast Network channel) have on Long Island? I could see CSN Philadelphia or the Comcast Network Philadelphia picking up Villanova/Stony Brook (and hope they do).

NoDak 4 Ever
November 21st, 2012, 08:13 AM
I tried using firstrow last weekend and it didn't work on my laptop which is about 4 years old and runs Windows XP. It just said I needed to to upgrade a video player, but clicking the button never did anything.

I then tried downloading the app on my newer desktop and Norton identified the executable as threat and wouldn't save it. :)

two things to know. the app is fine, it has been thoroughly vetted by several of my systems and it works great.

secondly, there are several layers of ads over the window when it first comes up. Some can be closed, others need to time out. Under all that is your feed. Be patient and it should come up. It's flash just like youtube so you have all the software you need to see it.

bluehenbillk
November 21st, 2012, 08:28 AM
two things to know. the app is fine, it has been thoroughly vetted by several of my systems and it works great.

secondly, there are several layers of ads over the window when it first comes up. Some can be closed, others need to time out. Under all that is your feed. Be patient and it should come up. It's flash just like youtube so you have all the software you need to see it.

That's correct - most of the time you don't even need to download anything - they're just ads, close them & you see the game feed.

Make sure you expand the feed to full screen or you get popups.

eaglewraith
November 21st, 2012, 08:37 AM
Last year the playoffs had the highest attendance of all time. FCS attendance was the 3rd highest of all time in 2010. http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ncaa/resources/latest+news/2011/february/ncaa+football+attendance+reaches+new+heights
Just because ESPN wants to hide it doesn't mean people don't care.
Depends where you live. Its a big deal in the midwest and the east. NDSU has virtually every regular season game on statewide NBC. 2 games were simulcast on Fox College Sports and 5 were simulcast on ESPN3. Even our spring game was televised on statewide tv. Montana has a similar deal.

Compare ratings of the lowest bowl game to the highest ratings of the playoffs which I'm assuming was the title game.

That will give you the answer as to why ESPN doesn't bother. They don't care that FCS attendance is up. They don't care that more people attended the playoffs last year than ever before. All they care about is being able to sell ads and make revenue. For that purpose, bowls get higher ratings than the playoffs.

Being broadcast on statewide TV is like kiddie stuff to people like ESPN. More than likely, I'm assuming that's a cost the school incurs anyway to broadcast on that network. It's much like when Georgia Southern used to have games on CSS....WE paid for the broadcast.

FCS playoffs just do not move the meter for ESPN, which is why they can put it on ESPN3 where they don't have to worry about selling additional revenue, and they've got the broadcast rights locked away so no one else can do anything it.

Vitojr130
November 21st, 2012, 08:46 AM

The ones in Fargo don't provide ESPN3. CableONE sucks hard.

CHIP72
November 21st, 2012, 08:49 AM
Yeah, if people want to be upset with ESPN, take consolation (if you are an NFL fan and especially if you follow the NFL more than college football) that ESPN is treated like a poor step-sister by the NFL relative to the NFL's over-the-air network partners. I think ESPN pays more for its TV package than NBC does for its package, yet NBC gets first dibs on the prime games and has the ability to flex more attractive games into its time slot late in the season, something ESPN does not have the ability to do.

Professor Chaos
November 21st, 2012, 09:00 AM
Compare ratings of the lowest bowl game to the highest ratings of the playoffs which I'm assuming was the title game.

That will give you the answer as to why ESPN doesn't bother. They don't care that FCS attendance is up. They don't care that more people attended the playoffs last year than ever before. All they care about is being able to sell ads and make revenue. For that purpose, bowls get higher ratings than the playoffs.

Being broadcast on statewide TV is like kiddie stuff to people like ESPN. More than likely, I'm assuming that's a cost the school incurs anyway to broadcast on that network. It's much like when Georgia Southern used to have games on CSS....WE paid for the broadcast.

FCS playoffs just do not move the meter for ESPN, which is why they can put it on ESPN3 where they don't have to worry about selling additional revenue, and they've got the broadcast rights locked away so no one else can do anything it.
So why doesn't ESPN allow the local media entities to purchase the local broadcast rights then? I'm sure there would be willing partners for them in places like North Dakota and Montana.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 21st, 2012, 09:01 AM
So why doesn't ESPN allow the local media entities to purchase the local broadcast rights then? I'm sure there would be willing partners for them in places like North Dakota and Montana.

They'd rather use them as leverage for ESPN3 adoption.

Professor Chaos
November 21st, 2012, 09:05 AM
They'd rather use them as leverage for ESPN3 adoption.
Precisely, one of the main reasons why I hate how ESPN utilizes ESPN3. It should be treated as premium content (like ESPN Insider) so those consumers who want the ESPN3 service can purchase it. Forcing the ISP to make that decision for the consumer is complete BS. It basically turns ISPs into cable providers if that tactic catches on with other web sites.

robsnotes4u
November 21st, 2012, 09:07 AM
The ones in Fargo don't provide ESPN3. CableONE sucks hard. I have dishnetwork in Fargo and that doesn't work either. Mike Page, owner of Fargo Billiards will have a game on at Fargo Billiards. We talked the other day and he will be showing the SDSU game Saturday.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 21st, 2012, 09:08 AM
Precisely, one of the main reasons why I hate how ESPN utilizes ESPN3. It should be treated as premium content (like ESPN Insider) so those consumers who want the ESPN3 service can purchase it. Forcing the ISP to make that decision for the consumer is complete BS. It basically turns ISPs into cable providers if that tactic catches on with other web sites.

Since ESPN's demand isn't at risk, it would behoove those that cannot see the game to contact the entity who's demand is directly affected, the ISP.

ysubigred
November 21st, 2012, 09:14 AM

Insight!

ysubigred
November 21st, 2012, 09:16 AM
I maybe dating myself here and YSU's past glory... "BUT" it seemed that the playoffs were better when all was televised on CBS xbadx

Professor Chaos
November 21st, 2012, 09:19 AM
Since ESPN's demand isn't at risk, it would behoove those that cannot see the game to contact the entity who's demand is directly affected, the ISP.
Just like when ESPN jacks up the price for it's networks to cable providers, its the cable companies that take heat from the consumer if they're not willing to pay up. That's what I hate about Cable TV, I pay for tons of worthless crap I never watch. With ESPN I don't really care because I'd pay for it pretty much regardless what they charge but the more web sites that charge the ISP for premium content the more worthless crap I'll be paying for on my monthly internet bill that I never care to see or use.

ESPN is just passing the buck and eventually it's the consumer that pays for it anyway, even the ones who don't want/need it. Socialized ESPN!

van
November 21st, 2012, 10:41 AM

Armstrong

MR. CHICKEN
November 21st, 2012, 11:18 AM

EDIT: Just checked the CSN Philadelphia site - no Villanova/Stony Brook as of right now.

I'll have to see if I can get ESPN3 on the smartphone. I've had trouble doing so in the past when the game was a non-ESPN/ESPN2 game, but I was able to get the Bloomsburg/Shippensburg Division II playoff game on ESPN3 on my Samsung Galaxy Nexus this past Saturday (while watching the Shepherd/IUP Division II playoff game on the computer and the Lehigh/Lafayette and Temple/Army games on TV).

HOFSTRA FOOTBALL....WAS COVERED......COMCAST SPORTS/CSN-PHILLY/CSN-NE....ETC....HAVE BROADCASTED...... ALL CAA TEAMS.......ONE TIME O' 'NOTHERAH....AWK!

SpiritCymbal
November 21st, 2012, 11:29 AM

It may suck for the fans of the teams held hostage, but it's a good business decision by ESPN.

footballer23
November 21st, 2012, 11:34 AM
Espn tweeted me that the NDSU & Montana State games will be on ESPN Gameplan.

bisonnation
November 21st, 2012, 11:39 AM

Last year they didn't even run ads/promos for the fcs championship game. From what I remember they had money into the bowls and the only reason they air it is they are contractually obligated

Its crazy because MAC schools will draw less than Missouri Valley and Big Sky teams but the mac conference has a deal with espn and get promos. On the field our conference is better across the board. It's the good ole boys network

eaglewraith
November 21st, 2012, 11:40 AM
Last year they didnt even run ads/promos for thr fcs championship game. From what I remember they had miney into the bowls

Its crazy because MAC schools will draw less than Missouri Valley and Big Sky teams but the mac conference has a deal with espn and get promos. On the field our conference is better

I bet those games get higher ratings than any FCS game though.

That's all that matters to them.

ecasadoSBU
November 21st, 2012, 11:54 AM
I Did my part. Just sent my own e-mail. Lets get the FCS on real TV

ecasadoSBU
November 21st, 2012, 11:56 AM

ESPN has exclusive rights to every Division I Championship except for the March Madness which is on CBS/TNT/TBS/TRUTV.... I doubt any other network will air any of the playoffs game unless they buy those rights

bisonnation
November 21st, 2012, 12:09 PM
I bet those games get higher ratings than any FCS game though.

That's all that matters to them.

When you run commercials and promos advertising an event, more people know and watch. They don't do that with fcs championship games. They do it on purpose. Back when they promoted games they actually got more viewers

Take a school like Montana. They outdraw almost every mac school and get a 40 share tv rating in Montana. Same with NDSU. We have 50 shares on tv. Even with smaller population s that's a ton of viewers

bisonnation
November 21st, 2012, 12:17 PM
Espn tweeted me that the NDSU & Montana State games will be on ESPN Gameplan.

See we're making a difference. Keep the calls and emails coming in.

Walkon79
November 21st, 2012, 06:08 PM

That's the PROBLEM!

Walkon79
November 21st, 2012, 06:14 PM

You guys don't get it. I want ESPN TO AT LEAST give us the game plan option. Your help would be appreciated.

Walkon79
November 21st, 2012, 06:17 PM
See we're making a difference. Keep the calls and emails coming in.

Sorry guys. Didn't read through all the posts. This is good news for us and the Bison, but what about everyone else?

Bossanova
November 22nd, 2012, 10:13 AM
Any idea if the Montana St. game on Dec. 1 will be carried on ESPNU

Walkon79
November 22nd, 2012, 01:07 PM
From what I understand now, ESPN3 and Gameplan.

Bossanova
November 22nd, 2012, 04:00 PM
So, I need to find a bar somewhere that has ESPN Gameplan if I want to watch MSUgame on 12-1.

Walkon79
November 22nd, 2012, 07:51 PM
IMO, a better option than a computer!

ecasadoSBU
November 23rd, 2012, 07:44 AM
This is the reply I received from ESPN on Wednesday:

Dear Edwin,

Thank you for contacting ESPN.

ESPN makes its programming decisions based on a number of factors, including viewership, as reflected by ratings and the interest from advertisers and affiliates, on a nationwide basis.

We’ll be sure to let our programming executives know that our viewers would like to see more Division I-AA football on our air.

Sincerely,

Jaan
ESPN Viewer Response

At least I tried but I really doubt they'll do anything about it in the future

Bossanova
November 23rd, 2012, 08:14 AM
We are getting less FCS playoff games , not more, on ESPN than in previous years. Obviously, not a good thing.

LouiseBFree
November 23rd, 2012, 09:58 AM
Dear Jaan (seriously?),

What's I-AA?

This is the reply I received from ESPN on Wednesday:

At least I tried but I really doubt they'll do anything about it in the future

ncguitarplyr
November 23rd, 2012, 11:25 AM
If this helps anyone, I wrote an article earlier this year about how to find out if you have ESPN3 & how to watch it on your TV
http://www.appstatenation.com/2012/09/06/appstmontana-on-espn3-how-to-set-it-up-on-your-tv/

SeattleGriz
November 23rd, 2012, 11:36 AM

I think a large part was that the Montana fans had always had their games broadcast via the local TV stations and were thus without ANY coverage as so few internet providers in Montana had ESPN3 as part of their package. I believe the Montana fans went about it by simply asking for the option (ESPN Gameplan) to be able to watch the game if ESPN wasn't going to allow local groups to show the game. Montanan's were willing to pay for the game on Gameplan, just give them that option.

Lastly, if you don't normally get your playoff games broadcast, good luck getting ESPN to care.

Gringer1
November 23rd, 2012, 11:38 AM
ESPN isn't putting the games on TV because they think nobody will watch. Know how you can change their mind? Fire up every computer you have with access to ESPN3 and tune in to the games. They can see how many devices are streaming their feeds and they'll decide we're worth being on TV if enough people watch online.

caribbeanhen
November 23rd, 2012, 11:41 AM
If this helps anyone, I wrote an article earlier this year about how to find out if you have ESPN3 & how to watch it on your TV
http://www.appstatenation.com/2012/09/06/appstmontana-on-espn3-how-to-set-it-up-on-your-tv/

all I need is a gift from 26

Twentysix
November 23rd, 2012, 12:32 PM
all I need is a gift from 26

Aww you are making me feel bad ;). Clenz can help you out.

Walkon79
November 23rd, 2012, 02:36 PM
Question. We just accessed WatchESPN on my son's Xbox. There is a ton of programming out there, but not one on the 1st round games is listed for tomorrow. Are we doing something wrong?

FWI we looked out to 12/1 and none of these are on the schedule either. The 1st games we see on their schedule are the quarters on the 15th

gsu_paintballer
November 23rd, 2012, 02:48 PM
ESPN 3 isn't available in Southern California unless you have both Time Warner Cable and internet.

You don't have AT&T internet or Charter Communications internet in southern California?

Keep in mind, here - WatchESPN (not what you want) and ESPN3 (what you want) are different things.

coover
November 23rd, 2012, 03:14 PM
ESPN isn't putting the games on TV because they think nobody will watch. Know how you can change their mind? Fire up every computer you have with access to ESPN3 and tune in to the games. They can see how many devices are streaming their feeds and they'll decide we're worth being on TV if enough people watch online.Great idea if your internet access is fast enough (like the guy with 10 MBps), but my carrier, Verizon here in the San Bernardino Mountains, gives me 1.5 MBps max, and it cannot be sped up (sped, is that a word? or should I have used speeded?). I have 5 computers, and I guarantee that if I tried to stream a game 5 times, all I would see is the word "buffering".

coover
November 23rd, 2012, 03:16 PM
You don't have AT&T internet or Charter Communications internet in southern California?

Keep in mind, here - WatchESPN (not what you want) and ESPN3 (what you want) are different things.Verizon carries ESPN3 in So Cal, too.

caribbeanhen
November 23rd, 2012, 04:10 PM
Aww you are making me feel bad ;). Clenz can help you out.

Clenz..... oh dear, no playoffs for me this year, he don't like me much :D

ecasadoSBU
November 23rd, 2012, 05:17 PM
Dear Jaan (seriously?),

What's I-AA?

Yeah. That's the legitimate response I got... I think he referred to it as D-IAA because I did so also:

this is my email:

As a loyal follower of College football and a loyal viewer of the ESPN Family of networks it greatly disappoints me that ESPN refuses to broadcast

the first & second round of the Division I-AA playoffs. Instead, the network choose to stream online at the expense of many of the viewers that don’t have access to this online service. Not only does it hurt fans, but it also hurts ESPN. Put the game on TV now for the nation to watch.

Edwin Casado

A Fan

Gringer1
November 23rd, 2012, 05:27 PM
Great idea if your internet access is fast enough (like the guy with 10 MBps), but my carrier, Verizon here in the San Bernardino Mountains, gives me 1.5 MBps max, and it cannot be sped up (sped, is that a word? or should I have used speeded?). I have 5 computers, and I guarantee that if I tried to stream a game 5 times, all I would see is the word "buffering".

I meant it more in terms of everyone should stream as many games as they can, even if your team isn't playing. Stream a game in every time slot that you can.

McLeansvilleAppFan
November 23rd, 2012, 05:35 PM
Socialized ESPN!

This is not socialized, but pure unmitigated unregulated capitalism cornering the market at the expense of the common good so they (ESPN) can make out like bandits by not allowing choice in the market place. The NCAA is their corporate whore for allowing this to happen. The NCAA could have a contract in place that forces ESPN to at least offer games on the regional market. My App State may still pay 2nd fiddle to the ACC on 1 December but maybe an independent station would carry it. The NCAA could at least force the issue in the contract between themselves and ESPN.

clenz
November 23rd, 2012, 08:26 PM
This is not socialized, but pure unmitigated unregulated capitalism cornering the market at the expense of the common good so they (ESPN) can make out like bandits by not allowing choice in the market place. The NCAA is their corporate whore for allowing this to happen. The NCAA could have a contract in place that forces ESPN to at least offer games on the regional market. My App State may still pay 2nd fiddle to the ACC on 1 December but maybe an independent station would carry it. The NCAA could at least force the issue in the contract between themselves and ESPN.
OR....

You're ISP could upgrade the internet service...and really what ISP can't/doesn't meet the minimum requirements...or choose to buy into the program.

Sure, ESPN could lower the price on ISP's...but this is on the ISP's...not ESPN.

We went through the same thing last year.

SpiritCymbal
November 23rd, 2012, 10:01 PM

Keep in mind, here - WatchESPN (not what you want) and ESPN3 (what you want) are different things.

AT&T isn't strong enough out here yet. It's glorified dial up and won't stream games. No Charter as far as I know either.

SpiritCymbal
November 23rd, 2012, 10:02 PM
Verizon carries ESPN3 in So Cal, too.

Same thing as AT&T in my area. The speed isn't fast enough to stream games.

Professor Chaos
November 23rd, 2012, 10:09 PM
OR....

You're ISP could upgrade the internet service...and really what ISP can't/doesn't meet the minimum requirements...or choose to buy into the program.

Sure, ESPN could lower the price on ISP's...but this is on the ISP's...not ESPN.

We went through the same thing last year.
This is on the ISPs because that's where ESPN passed the buck to. The argument I've always maintained is that it should be the consumer's choice, not the ISP's, as to what content you want and what content you don't want. ESPN does this already with ESPN Insider. They should do the same thing with ESPN3. Having said that, what they're doing isn't illegal. I just think it's a slippery slope to allow sites to do things like this and take the choice away from the consumer and put it on the service provider.

clenz
November 24th, 2012, 12:11 PM
This is on the ISPs because that's where ESPN passed the buck to. The argument I've always maintained is that it should be the consumer's choice, not the ISP's, as to what content you want and what content you don't want. ESPN does this already with ESPN Insider. They should do the same thing with ESPN3. Having said that, what they're doing isn't illegal. I just think it's a slippery slope to allow sites to do things like this and take the choice away from the consumer and put it on the service provider.The reason they leave it up to ISP's is due to the quality of internet that is required to carry it with any kind of quality.

My utility provider (Cedar Falls Utilities) didn't carry it, and I bitched as much as anyone...but I used the workaround that I set up for other people...and to be honest the quality was poor. HOWEVER, CFU put in fiber optic and did major upgrades to the internet and now we have it and it runs with great quality. ALSO AT NO EXTRA COST! Either CFU is taking a MAJOR financial hit for a city of 40k people (not all of whom have CFU) to not pass the price along, or the package didn't cost enough to warrant an added cost to the customer

This is on the ISP's. Every ISP could carry it if they wanted too....

goyotes
November 24th, 2012, 12:27 PM
Playoffs relegated to ESPN3 & Grambling vs Southern on NBC????

WileECoyote06
November 24th, 2012, 12:52 PM
Playoffs relegated to ESPN3 & Grambling vs Southern on NBC????

The Bayou Classic has been on NBC for years. They also pay for that broadcasting time.

tourguide
November 24th, 2012, 01:09 PM
I have used ESPN 3 just fine all year round but now it today I can't seem to select a game. I see the games listed on the live in the upcoming but when I click on the game nothing happens can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong

Professor Chaos
November 24th, 2012, 01:11 PM
The reason they leave it up to ISP's is due to the quality of internet that is required to carry it with any kind of quality.

My utility provider (Cedar Falls Utilities) didn't carry it, and I bitched as much as anyone...but I used the workaround that I set up for other people...and to be honest the quality was poor. HOWEVER, CFU put in fiber optic and did major upgrades to the internet and now we have it and it runs with great quality. ALSO AT NO EXTRA COST! Either CFU is taking a MAJOR financial hit for a city of 40k people (not all of whom have CFU) to not pass the price along, or the package didn't cost enough to warrant an added cost to the customer

This is on the ISP's. Every ISP could carry it if they wanted too....
That could be the case. I'm using a workaround with an ISP that doesn't carry it and the quality is pretty good. I sometimes get all 5 quality bars but most of the time it's 4 and in some cases it's 3 (usually after I refresh if's back to 4 or 5 again). I'm pretty sure the main problem with my ISP (Cable One) is that they're cheap moreso than they don't have bandwidth. The fact that they're cheap is exactly why I don't want them to have the decision.

SeattleGriz
November 24th, 2012, 01:19 PM
I have used ESPN 3 just fine all year round but now it today I can't seem to select a game. I see the games listed on the live in the upcoming but when I click on the game nothing happens can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong

I am not sure, but believe I had the same issue due to Adobe Flash player. Mine just updated earlier this week. Have you restarted your computer? I know that is a lame attempt, but it might just work.

tourguide
November 24th, 2012, 01:19 PM
Xbox

No_Skill
November 24th, 2012, 01:21 PM

I'm having issues as well. When I select a game the player pops up, but it just sits there and cycles like it is loading and never loads up. I have used ESPN3 before with no issues. I'm logged in and have a strong connection...strange.

tourguide
November 24th, 2012, 01:23 PM
The only live game I can choose is Arizona Arizona State. wtf

BisonFan02
November 24th, 2012, 01:24 PM
I've got the Colgate/Wagner and CC/BC games on split screen via XBOX 360...works pretty good if you ask me.

No_Skill
November 24th, 2012, 01:27 PM
I updated flash and it fixed my issues.

clenz
November 24th, 2012, 01:33 PM
That could be the case. I'm using a workaround with an ISP that doesn't carry it and the quality is pretty good. I sometimes get all 5 quality bars but most of the time it's 4 and in some cases it's 3 (usually after I refresh if's back to 4 or 5 again). I'm pretty sure the main problem with my ISP (Cable One) is that they're cheap moreso than they don't have bandwidth. The fact that they're cheap is exactly why I don't want them to have the decision.
That's not ESPN's fault. That is 100000000% on you're ISP.

When it's clear your ISP can support it, but doesn't and you bitch about ESPN it makes you look stupid...(I'm not saying you, or that you are stupid...it was a general statement).

This isn't ESPN's fault. It's the ISP. Write ESPN all you want they don't give a ****.

If you flood your ISP with emails they do give a **** (or at least more of a ****)

eaglewraith
November 24th, 2012, 01:57 PM
I'm having issues as well. When I select a game the player pops up, but it just sits there and cycles like it is loading and never loads up. I have used ESPN3 before with no issues. I'm logged in and have a strong connection...strange.

Also make sure any Adblock software you're using isn't stopping it from playing as well as make sure your Flash is up to date.

hebmskebm
November 24th, 2012, 02:18 PM
Ugh I was just on the phone with Espn for 20 mins. I have Cablevision but I cant watch ESPN3 everytime I click the Cablevision/Optimum for service provider nothing happens.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 24th, 2012, 02:23 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/11/25/nenujeny.jpg

I switched providers because they didnt carry ESPN3. Vote with your wallet

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

SeattleGriz
November 24th, 2012, 02:28 PM

Is that Fletch reffing out there?

hebmskebm
November 24th, 2012, 02:29 PM

Cablevision recently reached a deal to broadcast espn3. I just cant access it for some reason.

eaglewraith
November 24th, 2012, 03:03 PM

The XBox app is the best integration of ESPN3 I've seen.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 24th, 2012, 03:06 PM

Agree wholeheartedly

gsu_paintballer
November 24th, 2012, 03:16 PM
Agree wholeheartedly

+1 more

Cancelled XBL, though :(

Would probably be worth getting a month of it for $6 or $8 or whatever it is for the playoffs, though.

Twentysix
November 24th, 2012, 03:30 PM
+1 more

Cancelled XBL, though :(

Would probably be worth getting a month of it for $6 or $8 or whatever it is for the playoffs, though.

14.99 without a store bought card. Pretty sure target or wherever sells them for around the price you listed though.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 24th, 2012, 03:44 PM
14.99 without a store bought card. Pretty sure target or wherever sells them for around the price you listed though.

I use it a ton for other apps like Hulu and Netflix. 12 mo cards can be found pretty cheap if you look hard enough

Twentysix
November 24th, 2012, 03:54 PM
I use it a ton for other apps like Hulu and Netflix. 12 mo cards can be found pretty cheap if you look hard enough

Newegg sold 11,675 years of XBL gold for 34.99 each, yesterday.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300804554404

SeattleGriz
November 25th, 2012, 12:29 PM

I just downloaded the ESPN app for my Android tablet and it streams pretty nicely. Of course I've got a good strong wifi connection as well.

eaglewraith
November 25th, 2012, 04:54 PM
I just downloaded the ESPN app for my Android tablet and it streams pretty nicely. Of course I've got a good strong wifi connection as well.

I don't have a provider that gets WatchESPN so I can't use the mobile apps :(

NoDak 4 Ever
November 25th, 2012, 04:55 PM

Yeah, that's even more exclusive.

Jacked_Rabbit
November 25th, 2012, 05:23 PM

Find a friend that does have a provider, allow him to sign into your ESPN account and click "allow remote access" on the 'Remote Access" tab, and then sign into ESPN3 under his ISP's account User Name and Password.

That's what I just did last weekend and it worked like a charm.

clenz
November 25th, 2012, 06:09 PM
Find a friend that does have a provider, allow him to sign into your ESPN account and click "allow remote access" on the 'Remote Access" tab, and then sign into ESPN3 under his ISP's account User Name and Password.

That's what I just did last weekend and it worked like a charm.That doesn't work for the mobile app though....that deals with cell provider.

There is something like a small handful of providers that do watch espn.