PDA

View Full Version : OFFICIALLY WOOFED: EKU and Towson

CSN-info
November 20th, 2012, 03:45 AM
http://www.collegesportingnews.com/content.php?869-2012-Regular-Season-Ends-with-North-Dakota-State-at-No.-1-in-the-Gridiron-Power-Index-(GPI)

The GPI Indicated:
2. Montana State
3. Sam Houston State
6. Cal Poly
7T. South Dakota State
9. Old Dominion
10. Illinois State
11. Appalachian State
12. Eastern Kentucky
13T. Towson
15. Wofford

The committee chose #23 Stony Brook and #26 New Hampshire, instead of #12 Eastern Kentucky and #13T Towson.

Sad to say but Eastern Kentucky and Towson share the "Woofed" team of the year.

Eastern Kentucky responds (http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/log/index.php/2012/11/20/woofed-eku-responds-we-should?blog=2)
Towson responds (http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/log/index.php/2012/11/20/woofed-towson-responds-the-best?blog=2)

(it's not often the committee is this off)

frozennorth
November 20th, 2012, 03:51 AM
who gives a **** about gpi?

CSN-info
November 20th, 2012, 03:55 AM
who gives a **** about gpi?

Your conference. xcoffeex

frozennorth
November 20th, 2012, 03:57 AM
Your conference. xcoffeex

right. xcoffeex

tourguide
November 20th, 2012, 04:02 AM
Win out at home and you have an argument

Wallace
November 20th, 2012, 04:15 AM
Win out at home and you have an argument

Towson beat both New Hampshire and Villanova. True meaning of woofed, no?

frozennorth
November 20th, 2012, 04:41 AM
Towson beat both New Hampshire and Villanova. True meaning of woofed, no?

the citadel beat app and gsu. who gives a ****?

Wallace
November 20th, 2012, 04:46 AM
the citadel beat app and gsu. who gives a ****?

It is noted you don't give a "****" about much. The Citadel was not close to being woofed, finishing #35. Anything else?

Nickels
November 20th, 2012, 04:57 AM
Both of these coaches need to grow up a little.

WrenFGun
November 20th, 2012, 05:51 AM
Another year, another year GPI is a fraud.

Wallace
November 20th, 2012, 05:53 AM
Another year, another year GPI is a fraud.

Another year of GPI being unbeaten and unsubstantiated comments from the gallery. Admit that UNH in over Towson is questionable. Towson beat you.

Mr. C
November 20th, 2012, 05:53 AM
Both of these coaches need to grow up a little.

Said by someone who follows a team that had seven D-I wins (if you can count Texas Southern as D-I — barely) and one win over a team with a winning record (McNeese State). Do you realized that the third-place team in the Southland (Southeastern Louisiana) was 5-2 in the Southland and 0-4 against the rest of its schedule.

How in the world did SHSU finish third in the GPI, unless there was a huge bump for getting drilled by two BCS opponents and there is a lot of help from those human polls?

Rob Ambrose and Dean Hood have reason to complaint, particularly Ambrose.

Mr. C
November 20th, 2012, 05:54 AM
Another year of unsubstantiated comments from the gallery.

Why not work on making the GPI better, rather than pick at criticism?

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 20th, 2012, 05:55 AM
Hey EKU coach: Cry me a river. You should have never been in the playoffs last year....same as this year.

Mr. C
November 20th, 2012, 06:06 AM
Hey EKU coach: Cry me a river. You should have never been in the playoffs last year....same as this year.

It seems like I remember EKU only losing by a field goal in the final seconds of its playoff game against a JMU squad that played NDSU about as close as anyone in the playoffs did just one week later.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 20th, 2012, 06:13 AM
It seems like I remember EKU only losing by a field goal in the final seconds of its playoff game against a JMU squad that played NDSU about as close as anyone in the playoffs did just one week later.

Great for them. Good teams win on the road and that is what JMU did.

Ill State was saying the same thing last year when EKU got in over them. There is always going to be someone that feels they should have made it. It will happen next year with 24 teams....someone will say they deserved to be in.

WrenFGun
November 20th, 2012, 06:14 AM
Another year of GPI being unbeaten and unsubstantiated comments from the gallery. Admit that UNH in over Towson is questionable. Towson beat you.

Why would I do that when the other polls were better at predicting who got in the field? Why don't you admit the GPI, which did the worst, is off instead?

danefan
November 20th, 2012, 06:22 AM

You do know who you're talking to right?

Why would Ralph ever do anything but get irrationally defensive about something that really doesn't matter at all?

Wallace
November 20th, 2012, 06:24 AM
Why would I do that when the other polls were better at predicting who got in the field?

What opinion polls? Not the important ones. Everyone had two that the committee left out. The opinion polls had Lehigh and the GPI had EKU.

danefan
November 20th, 2012, 06:25 AM
What opinion polls? Not the important ones. Everyone had two that the committee left out. The opinion polls had Lehigh and the GPI had EKU.

No opinion polls are important.

Wallace
November 20th, 2012, 06:25 AM
... defensive about something that really doesn't matter at all?

Troll alert.

Wallace
November 20th, 2012, 06:27 AM

I don't work on the GPI and the architect says to add more computers. There is no "pick at criticism". The GPI is what it is. The committee has a different mindset. Some "fans" have admitted disorders.

Nickels
November 20th, 2012, 06:30 AM
Said by someone who follows a team that had seven D-I wins (if you can count Texas Southern as D-I — barely) and one win over a team with a winning record (McNeese State). Do you realized that the third-place team in the Southland (Southeastern Louisiana) was 5-2 in the Southland and 0-4 against the rest of its schedule.

How in the world did SHSU finish third in the GPI, unless there was a huge bump for getting drilled by two BCS opponents and there is a lot of help from those human polls?

Rob Ambrose and Dean Hood have reason to complaint, particularly Ambrose.
Say what you want about Sam and the SLC, but Coach Fritz wouldn't be crying to the media like a little whiny bit(h if we hadn't got in. xbawlingxxbawlingx

Lehigh Football Nation
November 20th, 2012, 07:36 AM
I don't work on the GPI...

Truer words have never been spoken.

LouiseBFree
November 20th, 2012, 07:41 AM
Like the polls, the committee completely ignores the GPI. Never comes up in the committee room. Never.

ysubigred
November 20th, 2012, 07:47 AM
YSU!! We beat Pitt........... J/k lose 4 you get what you got xbawlingx

bluehenbillk
November 20th, 2012, 08:12 AM
Not that it's a surprise, but the AGS Poll again, for I believe the 4th or 5th year in a row has not been outdone by the GPI.

With only one more season left of the BCS formula, I suggest the GPI follow it's "big brother", "its inspiration", and retire.

As the old saying goes, if you can't beat them, just quit.

All hail the AGS Poll!!!!

Towson lost 4 games, period. Nobody twisted their arm in scheduling poorly with two D-1 games. I said in October there would be no 7-4 at-large teams in the field & guess what, there were none. Records DO matter. Is 7-4 postseason worthy? In most seasons I'd say not. If you're going to have 8-win+ teams left on the board from power conferences the committee is going to have am awfully hard time leaving them out for teams that won less.

After all, this is the level of play that everyone loves to say decides a champion on the field right? Well then, rather than harp on computer rankings, which has ALWAYS been the fundamental weakness of rankings or indexes that rely on that, pay some more attention to actual W's & L's from the teams in power conferences.

danefan
November 20th, 2012, 08:17 AM

xbowx

frozennorth
November 20th, 2012, 08:20 AM
It is noted you don't give a "****" about much. The Citadel was not close to being woofed, finishing #35. Anything else?

has it ever occurred to you that your predictive measure being vastly different from reality is not an indictment of reality?

PantherRob82
November 20th, 2012, 08:48 AM
Troll alert.

Says the trolliest troll. You use/used multiple accounts and almost killed this board single handedly. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. xcoffeex

Wallace
November 20th, 2012, 08:58 AM
has it ever occurred to you that your predictive measure being vastly different from reality is not an indictment of reality?

"your predictive measure being vastly different from reality"

The GPI is not mine.

The GPI is not "vastly different from reality" in fact it has been historically the best indicator since it started in the 1990s.

Wallace
November 20th, 2012, 09:00 AM
Like the polls, the committee completely ignores the GPI. Never comes up in the committee room. Never.

I know this is a lie. They have officially requested it since 2008. I have interviewed committee members online for AGS who talked about it being brought up. Where do you get your "facts"?

frozennorth
November 20th, 2012, 09:03 AM
The GPI is not mine.

you're the one running around here pimping it.

Wallace
November 20th, 2012, 09:09 AM
you're the one running around here pimping it.

I'm not the only one who has good sense. Anyone that has been around the subdivision for more than a year is aware that it is a mainstay. Some are afraid of computer rankings and others are just jealous and spiteful, but you have to see the GPI as something that has performed well year in and out for years at least. Others you just have to pity because they show their worst online hiding behind a screen name.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 20th, 2012, 09:10 AM
I know this is a lie. They have officially requested it since 2008.

Did they always get it?

Wallace
November 20th, 2012, 09:13 AM
Did they always get it?

I am not on the committee.

danefan
November 20th, 2012, 09:18 AM
I am not on the committee.

Thank god

danefan
November 20th, 2012, 09:19 AM
The GPI is not used for anything. Don't lie Ralph. Your world is not going to end if you acknlowedge its not used for anything.

The modified GPI might have been used if the PFL champ got close to the Bridge AQ standards, but they didn't.

The modified GPI goes away next year as well, so your claims become even less relevant.

How about just talking about FCS football. Who cares about a stupid spreadsheet?

Gringer1
November 20th, 2012, 09:45 AM
People wouldn't hate the GPI so much if they would quit lying about its use in the playoffs. The committee said that it only comes into play if the PFL needs some random tiebreaker to get in, which has never happened.

Professor Chaos
November 20th, 2012, 11:29 AM
The GPI is not "vastly different from reality" in fact it has been historically the best indicator since it started in the 1990s.
That would explain why teams ranked 23rd and 26th in the GPI received at large bids over multiple eligible at large teams that the GPI ranked above them?

Just because you continue to say something doesn't make it any less false.

danefan
November 20th, 2012, 11:30 AM
People wouldn't hate the GPI so much if they would quit lying about it's use in the playoffs. The committee said that it only comes into play if the PFL needs some random tiebreaker to get in, which has never happened.

EXACTLY!

georgecostanza
November 20th, 2012, 01:04 PM
Poor logic from the EKU coach by mentioning Stony Brook and Illinois State. He says they should have been in over Stony Brook, because they beat the auto-bid from their league (Coastal Carolina). He fails to mention that Illinois State beat the OVC auto-bid.

Nickels
November 20th, 2012, 01:18 PM
Poor logic from the EKU coach by mentioning Stony Brook and Illinois State. He says they should have been in over Stony Brook, because they beat the auto-bid from their league (Coastal Carolina). He fails to mention that Illinois State beat the OVC auto-bid.
Great point, I also find it tacky for a coach to say another team doesn't deserve a playoff spot.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 20th, 2012, 01:21 PM
Great point, I also find it tacky for a coach to say another team doesn't deserve a playoff spot.

*cough*

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2012-11-18/sports/bal-towson-left-out-of-football-championship-subdivision-playoffs-20121118_1_caa-teams-rob-ambrose-villanova

Doc QB
November 20th, 2012, 01:29 PM
*cough*

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2012-11-18/sports/bal-towson-left-out-of-football-championship-subdivision-playoffs-20121118_1_caa-teams-rob-ambrose-villanova

Ambrose, “They’ve done everything that was asked of them. They’ve done everything that was said that could not be done."

Well almost everything, except beat ODU or JMU. And, obviously, get the at-large.

Sorry...couldnt resist. I dont like the guy. But, I feel for the TU players, they should be in and were playing some damn good ball. I watched three of their games on TV as well as LSU. A shame.

TypicalTribe
November 20th, 2012, 02:05 PM
*cough*

Truth be told, Ambrose doesn't say Villanova and UNH don't deserve spots, he just makes the obvious point that Towson beat both of them. He doesn't denigrate either one of them.

danefan
November 20th, 2012, 02:14 PM
Truth be told, Ambrose doesn't say Villanova and UNH don't deserve spots, he just makes the obvious point that Towson beat both of them. He doesn't denigrate either one of them.

I agree. Plus he points out that their scheduling two FBS schools is really what kept them out.

Replace a MEAC win for LSU and Towson is in.

TSU86
November 20th, 2012, 05:33 PM
Towson didn't get woofed ............ we got F'ed

TypicalTribe
November 21st, 2012, 05:32 PM
Towson lost 4 games, period. Nobody twisted their arm in scheduling poorly with two D-1 games. I said in October there would be no 7-4 at-large teams in the field & guess what, there were none. Records DO matter. Is 7-4 postseason worthy? In most seasons I'd say not. If you're going to have 8-win+ teams left on the board from power conferences the committee is going to have am awfully hard time leaving them out for teams that won less.

After all, this is the level of play that everyone loves to say decides a champion on the field right? Well then, rather than harp on computer rankings, which has ALWAYS been the fundamental weakness of rankings or indexes that rely on that, pay some more attention to actual W's & L's from the teams in power conferences.

So, we should pay attention to records over everything else? If that's the case, Lehigh certainly should have been in at 10-1. Heck, Albany should have gotten in at 9-2. Why didn't they get in? Because they "didn't play anybody". But if 8-3 can get in over 10-1, then why can't 7-4 get in over 8-3?

Let's take the popular example of UNH and Towson. Towson's opponents had a combined record of 69-52 for a winning percentage of roughly .570. New Hampshire's opponents went 48-72. Read that again, 48-72! Winning percentage of .400. Is it a surprise UNH was able to win one more game than Towson? Drill even deeper and the Wildcats seven wins outside of the Richmond game came against teams that finished 17-59! They beat 5 teams that won 2 or fewer games. They played three games against teams with 7+ wins and went 1-2.

Take another 7-4 team in Youngstown State. The Penguins played and beat BCS team Pittsburgh and still had to play 5 more games against teams with 7+ wins in the best conference in the country. On top of that, they played Southern Illinois and Northern Iowa, two of the best 5-6 teams in the country. So, that's 8 legitimate competitive games over the course of the season. You're telling me that 7-4 against that schedule doesn't compare favorably against 8-3 with UNH's schedule.

I'm sorry, but the difference between 8-3 and 7-4 can be razor thin and if we're not taking schedule strength and quality wins into account then we're making a huge mistake.

EKU Toss Sweep
November 21st, 2012, 07:59 PM
I'll come at it from a different perspective, if you believe your team should have made the playoffs at least have the cojones to call out the team whose spot you think you deserve.

Nickels
November 21st, 2012, 09:00 PM
I'll come at it from a different perspective, if you believe your team should have made the playoffs at least have the cojones to call out the team whose spot you think you deserve.
Yeah it takes a lot of balls to call out someone you won't be playing xrolleyesx
If EKU loss one conference game instead of two, they would have been in.

EKU05
November 22nd, 2012, 01:17 AM
Yeah it takes a lot of balls to call out someone you won't be playing xrolleyesx
If EKU loss one conference game instead of two, they would have been in.

That doesn't make it less true that the Colonels should have been in with 3 losses. This truly was holding the OVC's past against it. Just about any non-human ranking system was in agreement that the OVC was significantly better this year (according to Sagarin the second best FCS conference...I'm not sure if I buy that, but the point is that it was pretty good).

I'll grant you that we probably should not have been in last year, but when we got there we went toe to toe with JMU losing on a last second field goal. The committee seems a little too obsessed with co-champions. I think anyone with one eye could tell that this year's EKU resume blows last year's out of the water outside of two things:

1. This year we got drilled by a mediocre Purdue team 48-6 (albeit one that nearly won at Notre Dame the next week). Last year's team led Kansas State with less than two minutes to play before falling 10-7.
2. Last year we were co-champions.

This year we lost a bid to another undeserving co-champion from a three way tie (just as we were last year). It's just unfortunate that a team that I feel like could have done some damage gets left out (in the year before the field goes to 24 anyway).

ngineer
November 22nd, 2012, 09:03 AM
Ambrose, “They’ve done everything that was asked of them. They’ve done everything that was said that could not be done."

Well almost everything, except beat ODU or JMU. And, obviously, get the at-large.

Sorry...couldnt resist. I dont like the guy. But, I feel for the TU players, they should be in and were playing some damn good ball. I watched three of their games on TV as well as LSU. A shame.

Yes, Towson's problem is the same as ours. They controlled their own destiny and screwed up by not winning the games THAT COUNT. Ambrose's attitude does not work in his players' favor either. I don't think the Committee intentionally takes coach's personalities into account, but sometimes the subconscious bias against an arrogant personality can come into play. Still Towson's demolition of UNH by 30 points, to then be leap frogged by the same team makes the Committee decision suspect in their motives.