PDA

View Full Version : Does your school have an organized student group?

SuperJon
August 15th, 2006, 04:30 PM
I know a lot of schools have some type of organized "pep club." (I hate that phrase) What's the name of your schools? How many members are in it? What is the charge? What are the benefits? How long's it been around?

I'm one of the leaders of Liberty's brand spankin new group. We started at the end of last year and have 425 students so far and that's just freshmen and transfers. Upperclassmen haven't have a chance to join yet. Our name is the Student Flames Club but the nickname for it is the LUnatics. We charge $25. Members get 15% off apparel at the bookstore, first priority on away game tickets, free tailgating (Chik Fil-A is a sponsor for one game), and a few other things. It started back in April for us.

Lionsrking
August 15th, 2006, 04:40 PM
I know a lot of schools have some type of organized "pep club." (I hate that phrase) What's the name of your schools? How many members are in it? What is the charge? What are the benefits? How long's it been around?

I'm one of the leaders of Liberty's brand spankin new group. We started at the end of last year and have 425 students so far and that's just freshmen and transfers. Upperclassmen haven't have a chance to join yet. Our name is the Student Flames Club but the nickname for it is the LUnatics. We charge $25. Members get 15% off apparel at the bookstore, first priority on away game tickets, free tailgating (Chik Fil-A is a sponsor for one game), and a few other things. It started back in April for us.

We have a group called the MANEiacs. Not sure how many are involved but they do a good job of supporting the athletics program.

JoshUCA
August 15th, 2006, 05:25 PM
We have a group called the Bear Den...http://www.uca.edu/bearden/index.asp
http://www.uca.edu/bearden/images/banner1.jpg

I don't think it costs anything to join, but it has grown considerably over the past few years and hopefully it will continue to do so. I don't know about discounts at the bookstore or anything like that, but that is a great idea!

JoshUCA
August 15th, 2006, 05:27 PM
We have a group called the Bear Den...http://www.uca.edu/bearden/index.asp
http://www.uca.edu/bearden/images/banner1.jpg

It costs $10 to join, which covers a tee shirt and free eats at the tailgate, and it has grown considerably over the past few years and hopefully it will continue to do so. I don't know about discounts at the bookstore or anything like that, but that is a great idea!

Russ B
August 15th, 2006, 05:28 PM
The Aggie Pack (http://www.aggiepack.com/pages/whatis_aggiepack.htm)

Free! Been around for just about 15 years, dunno what their official membership is but they generally get a good student turnout at football games. Benefits of joining are the usual game-day type swag, coupons and tshirts and such (and great basketball seats).

P2TheB
August 15th, 2006, 06:02 PM
UNI has a student group for all sports called the "Panther Posse" and the same group is called the "Mac's Maniacs" for basketball (or it has until Coach McDermott left to go to Iowa State). The Posse will have around 2,000 official members this fall (about 15% of the student body).

http://unipanthers.cstv.com/ot/niwa-gameday-experience.html

MarkCCU
August 15th, 2006, 06:15 PM
We have a horrible group called, S.C.R.E.A.M

Ivytalk
August 15th, 2006, 06:30 PM
Harvard had one of the original chapters of SDS. Does that count?:confused: :p ;)

TheValleyRaider
August 15th, 2006, 06:35 PM
There was, I believe, something called the "Maroon Platoon" that appeared on some T-shirts at hockey games. The shirts looked "official", but I never heard anything about it and they never amounted to much. There's also the unofficial "Dawg Pound" that sits in the tiny bleacher section behind one of the baskets in Cotterell Court (basketball). Apparently it's slipped in quality in recent years, but supposedly it was a fairly packed and rowdy (all hearsay from older members of the band).

The Pep Band is as official as it gets, and we're at most football and hockey games, plus a good portion of basketball and some lacrosse games at the end of the year.

Golden Eagle
August 15th, 2006, 08:04 PM
Something called the "Tech Attack". Costs five bucks, but they get courtside seats at the basketball games, transportation to away games, as well as first call on postseason event tickets.

chattanoogamocs
August 15th, 2006, 08:10 PM
mocs maniacs
http://mocsmaniacs.com/

Though they do support football, they are much more active for basketball.

Like everyone else, students love winners...the Mocs haven't given them much to cheer about lately in football...though after the 6-5 last year, and a ton of returning talent, hopefully that is starting to come around.

...and the fans (hopefully) will follow.

ButlerGSU
August 15th, 2006, 08:32 PM
We have a group called the 'Talon' club as well as the 'Hanner Hooligans' for Basketball.

LBPop
August 15th, 2006, 08:34 PM
Harvard had one of the original chapters of SDS. Does that count?:confused: :p ;)
Hey Ivytalk, I think most of the guys on this board think that SDS is a sexually transmitted disease. Come to think of it, they might be right. xlolx

umassfan
August 15th, 2006, 09:10 PM
There was, I believe, something called the "Maroon Platoon" that appeared on some T-shirts at hockey games. The shirts looked "official", but I never heard anything about it and they never amounted to much. There's also the unofficial "Dawg Pound" that sits in the tiny bleacher section behind one of the baskets in Cotterell Court (basketball). Apparently it's slipped in quality in recent years, but supposedly it was a fairly packed and rowdy (all hearsay from older members of the band).

The Pep Band is as official as it gets, and we're at most football and hockey games, plus a good portion of basketball and some lacrosse games at the end of the year.
Thats funny because UMass has what is called the Maroon Platoon as well. They started it about 4 years ago or so.

Ivytalk
August 15th, 2006, 09:11 PM
Hey Ivytalk, I think most of the guys on this board think that SDS is a sexually transmitted disease. Come to think of it, they might be right. xlolx

Pop, that shows that we're both card-carrying members of AARP! :D Gotta love a sports board that can accommodate college kids and members of the Geritol Generation!

SuperJon
August 15th, 2006, 09:15 PM
We have a horrible group called, S.C.R.E.A.M

I was in SCREAM when I was there. Horrible name, group was getting much better when I left although there was only maybe 25 truly active members. There were about 60-75 members though.

SuperJon
August 15th, 2006, 09:21 PM
Below are what's designated for SFC members:

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/1766/n55713057306617611105vy9.jpg

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/7673/n55713057306617621929tb3.jpg

ngineer
August 15th, 2006, 10:06 PM
Lehigh has the "Hawk's Nest" where student members, several hundred strong, are given brown and white T-shirts and seats in specific sections of Goodman Stadium (for football), Stabler Arena (for basketball) and Grace Hall (for wrestling).

Linehawg
August 15th, 2006, 10:10 PM
We call it the Corps of Cadets...xlolx

EKU05
August 15th, 2006, 10:39 PM

That's funny...during my senior year at EKU (2004-2005) I was a charter member of our Maroon Platoon. I heard after I left SGA took it over and it went down hill. We had some crazy times that year...though the group was strangely more centered around basketball (with good reason that year, we made our first trip to the dance since 1979).

crunifan
August 15th, 2006, 10:50 PM
Lehigh has the "Hawk's Nest" where student members, several hundred strong, are given brown and white T-shirts and seats in specific sections of Goodman Stadium (for football), Stabler Arena (for basketball) and Grace Hall (for wrestling).

That is what the Iowa Hawkeyes use, the Hawk's Nest.

But, as previously mentioned UNI has the Panther Posse. I heard that Mac's Maniacs is using Panther Posse too. Does that mean we only get one shirt this year?

chrisattsu
August 15th, 2006, 11:15 PM
For Tarleton-

TTS and TTP

Formed when Tarleton was a junior college, th Ten Tarleton Peppers (TTP) and Ten Tarleton Sisters (TTS) are the two oldest organizations on campus. These spirit organizations for men and women were formed in 1921 and 1923 respectively. New members of these secret organizations are selected by current members. When first organized, the two groups met late at night and prepared signs for upcoming athletic events. The basic signs at this time were made of canvas and were stretched between trees on campus. The clubs met in the attic of the old recreation hall which is now the Administration Annex. The identities of the senior members were disclosed in group photos when the yearbooks were distributed. Senior members stood facing the camera while others faced away from the camera with various and sundry items placed over their heads. The groups are sponsored by faculty and staff members.

Purple Poo

The TTS and TTP were precursors of the modern Purple Poo. The still-secret organization makes Poo signs each Monday night, which appear on campus every Tuesday morning. The signs occasionally comment on campus political life and student life, but most promote school spirit. These signs are nailed to trees on campus. Members appear in public dressed in costumes and identity is closely guarded.

http://www.tarleton.edu/students/st_clehman/images/ttp.jpg

The Plowboys

In 1984, a group of interested students established a spirit organization on campus and re-adopted the name “Plowboys,” which was the former mascot of the athletic teams. The Plowboys attend athletic events and other campus activities and are familiar to students because of their white shirts, hats and purple chaps

http://www.tarleton.edu/~Plowboys/Pictures/pic4.jpg

PANKUS
or, People Against Not Knowing University Spirit, was founded in 2001 by a group of students who believed that University Spirit can be and should be shown supported by everyone. There can only be 20 Poo at any given time, and the Plowboys, while they serve their purpose, are traditionally reserved for men.
The purpose of P.A.N.K.U.S. is to establish an organization that involves students in spirit activities and events around the Tarleton State University campus.

Our motto:
"Spirit is our life and goal
Being loud as well as proud
We strive to stand apart from all
and be that voice above the crowd"

These guys are the ones that Paint-up before every game, cheer their asses off and "act the fool" THey have lately been refered too as Lonn's Posse (in honor of Lonn Reisman, AD and Men's basketball coach). You can find PANKUS along the baseline of every home game yelling at the players and refs, making Wisdom Gym one of the hardest place to get a road-win in D2.
http://www.tarleton.edu/%7Epankus/school%20song.jpg
http://www.tarleton.edu/%7Epankus/chest%20painting%20(texans).jpg

blur2005
August 15th, 2006, 11:54 PM
Well, JMU doesn't have one for football as far as I know, or basketball for that matter. My school, UVA, has the 'Hoo Crew for basketball but that's not relevant to I-AA.

catbob
August 16th, 2006, 01:26 AM
Blue Crew for all sports.

Kramers Krazies have a little section roped off right on the 50, first like 15 rows in a small section.

Maroons
August 16th, 2006, 08:11 AM
That's funny...during my senior year at EKU (2004-2005) I was a charter member of our Maroon Platoon. I heard after I left SGA took it over and it went down hill. We had some crazy times that year...though the group was strangely more centered around basketball (with good reason that year, we made our first trip to the dance since 1979).

I believe the reason the SGA took it over was because the President was graduating and the group was desperate for a home. I'm not sure it has declined because of the SGA as much as it is because the visionary and dedicated leadership that formed the organization has moved on. It has lost momentum, however, and I think discussions are underway as to how it may be best served in the future. I think the SGA, despite all their resources, is simply a temporary home.

Pard4Life
August 16th, 2006, 08:24 AM
Lafayette has the Zoo Crew for basketball games and Franks Tanks for football games. Franks Tanks is rather new and many of the students made a half-hearted effort at the games anyhow. Their first game was a 7-0 win over Richmond, so one can see why not many returned. Anyhow, the biggest crowd is for Lehigh. The Zoo Crew does much better in basketball, they have been around awhile.

ericappstate
August 16th, 2006, 08:47 AM
Mountaineer Maniacs for basketball. No need for a student group in football, the student section is always packed full (first come first seat).

Killtoppers90
August 16th, 2006, 10:09 AM
I am so far removed from the student body at WKu that I am not certain there is any organized group of fans. Unless you call drunk frat boys and horny soroity girls organzied!

LBPop
August 16th, 2006, 10:17 AM
the Geritol Generation!
Yet another reference that no more than ten people on this board will get. :D

I guess today's Geritol is Red Bull. But I'll bet it doesn't cure Iron Deficiency Anemia. xlolx :rolleyes: :bawling:

EKU05
August 16th, 2006, 10:53 AM
I believe the reason the SGA took it over was because the President was graduating and the group was desperate for a home. I'm not sure it has declined because of the SGA as much as it is because the visionary and dedicated leadership that formed the organization has moved on. It has lost momentum, however, and I think discussions are underway as to how it may be best served in the future. I think the SGA, despite all their resources, is simply a temporary home.

You would know Maroons. I would have as well about 2 years ago....a ton of my friends were involved with SAC. You are right about Nathan who started the group though...it was really him that kept it going. He was in the front row with a full array of "cheering supplies" at every basketball game during my senior year. Last year I saw him at one game.

EKU05
August 16th, 2006, 10:54 AM
I am so far removed from the student body at WKu that I am not certain there is any organized group of fans. Unless you call drunk frat boys and horny soroity girls organzied!

Isn't there something called the "Hillraisers"...or am I making that up?

Freightliner
August 16th, 2006, 11:16 AM
If I am not mistaken, I believe there are 3 student groups...

Bobcat Fanatics which is the original group for all sports.
The Loud Crowd which I think is for basketball games
Mulligan X - some group that came outta the woodwork.

Funny thing about these groups (fanatics, loud crowd) is when I was a student...I used to be able to out do all of their members in heckling...and I was by myself!!

gophoenix
August 17th, 2006, 06:22 AM
We have the Phoenix Phanatics, which is sitting about 1000 strong or so. Membership requires that you go to at least 4 home football games and half the home basketball games. It's about 1/5 the size of the school total and still increasing after being around only two seasons.

DetroitFlyer
August 17th, 2006, 11:03 AM
At the University of Dayton the student group is called the Red Scare, known for wearing red shirts at football and basketball games!

BULLDOG8180
August 17th, 2006, 11:08 AM
We call our group, "KNOBS". About 500 members.