PDA

View Full Version : NDSU Got Hosed by the NCAA FCS Selection Committee....

justintyem
November 20th, 2012, 01:18 AM
NCAA FCS Selection Committee :pumpuke: http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/380816/

frozennorth
November 20th, 2012, 01:37 AM
dude.

Griz_are_Beta_AF
November 20th, 2012, 01:53 AM
I can't tell if this is another feel bad for my team/bitch about stupid stuff thread or if this is a joke. I really hope it's the latter.

FargoBison
November 20th, 2012, 01:54 AM
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Jack-Donaghy-Facepalm.gif

Nickels
November 20th, 2012, 02:14 AM
I can't tell if this is another feel bad for my team/bitch about stupid stuff thread or if this is a joke. I really hope it's the latter.HAHA Right? The # 1 seed is pissed at the selection committeexchinscratchx

NDSUBowler
November 20th, 2012, 02:32 AM
http://marccortez.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/beating-a-dead-horse.jpeg

uofmman1122
November 20th, 2012, 03:19 AM
loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

Oh noes!!! You have to play good teams in the playoffs!

xbabycryx xbabycryx xbabycryx xbabycryx xbabycryx

tourguide
November 20th, 2012, 04:11 AM
I would take the #2 seed in a heartbeat over the one seed in this format. If you dont see that then u are blind.

WrenFGun
November 20th, 2012, 05:54 AM
So you're upset that the committee followed it's guidelines with regard to regionalization?

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 20th, 2012, 06:01 AM
So you're upset that the committee followed it's guidelines with regard to regionalization?

Really?

Where?

Stony Brook/Villanova winner is flying across the country to Montana State.
Wagner/Colgate winner is flying across the country to Eastern Washington.

IMO, I don't care who we play but your 'regionalization' comment carries no weight at all.

robsnotes4u
November 20th, 2012, 06:15 AM
I live in Fargo, and the one think that always upsets me is how much the Bison fans whine about things. I remember sitting in the stands for women's regional division 2 basketball, the first time UND women eliminated the Bison on the national scene. I never heard so much complaining about refs.......

Are you kidding me? The Jacks were the last team in, who are you suppose to play? They haven't even one their game yet. It doesn't matter if you believe SDSU is better than the rest, your vote doesn't count. There are a lot of teams out there thinking they should have been in, that aren't. The best teams always want to play the best competition. I heard the same BS last night in a bar in Fargo. Get real NDSU, I would say your bracket is a hell of a lot easier than the other.

Sounds to me like the the people of Fargo aren't so sure about the win over SDSU earlier this year.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 20th, 2012, 06:21 AM
I live in Fargo, and the one think that always upsets me is how much the Bison fans whine about things. I remember sitting in the stands for women's regional division 2 basketball, the first time UND women eliminated the Bison on the national scene. I never heard so much complaining about refs.......

Are you kidding me? The Jacks were the last team in, who are you suppose to play? They haven't even one their game yet. It doesn't matter if you believe SDSU is better than the rest, your vote doesn't count. There are a lot of teams out there thinking they should have been in, that aren't. The best teams always want to play the best competition. I heard the same BS last night in a bar in Fargo. Get real NDSU, I would say your bracket is a hell of a lot easier than the other.

Sounds to me like the the people of Fargo aren't so sure about the win over SDSU earlier this year.

LOL....Has nothing to do with it.

Most Bison fans could care less who the Bison play. Most just wonder why it was made. Regionalization.....no way....look at the other games.

I hope we play the Jacks again.....Bison will beat them again.

UNH Fanboi
November 20th, 2012, 06:26 AM
The author of that article has no idea what he's talking about. Getting the #1 seed does NOT entitle you to pla the weakest team. It entitles you to play one of the eight weakest teams. That's it.

danefan
November 20th, 2012, 06:29 AM
Really?

Where?

IMO, I don't care who we play but your 'regionalization' comment carries no weight at all.

If NDSU get either of those winners then the winner of SDSU/EIU would have had to fly as well adding another flight.

This approach is nothing new.

robsnotes4u
November 20th, 2012, 06:41 AM
If NDSU get either of those winners then the winner of SDSU/EIU would have had to fly as well adding another flight.

In 16 team tourney and you are the #1 seed would you rather play the #8 seed or the #16 seed in the first round? You got the last team in as a possible opponent.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 20th, 2012, 06:48 AM

OK then......if 'regionalization' is part of the equation.....

SDSU/EIU winner is not going to Montana State or EWU....all teams in the west region?

With how this bracket is set up....no one is going to convince me that 'regionaliztion' was a primary factor...no way.

....and like I said before, I could care less who we play. Bring them all on.

robsnotes4u
November 20th, 2012, 06:51 AM
Really?

Where?

Ok, lets look at the criteria. 400 miles.

Is Stony Brook, Villanova, Wagner, or Colgate within 400 miles of a seeded team? No they aren't. So is there any team out there that is within 400 miles of another seeded team? Yes, SDSU is within 400 miles of NDSU. Good, we have regionalization as per the criteria.

Pretty easy, or as someone else said, "if you don't see that your blind"

kalm
November 20th, 2012, 06:54 AM

Yep, almost everybody in the field has to fly across the country to play us.

superman7515
November 20th, 2012, 06:57 AM
So I say on the live AGS radio show two days ago that Eastern Washington has the easiest path to the Championship game and not a word, but two days later someone posts an article saying that NDSU has the more difficult path and suddenly it's a revelation. C'mon guys, I threw you a softball Sunday, all you had to do was swing. You're letting me down.

BisonBacker
November 20th, 2012, 07:02 AM
So I say on the live AGS radio show two days ago that Eastern Washington has the easiest path to the Championship game and not a word, but two days later someone posts an article saying that NDSU has the more difficult path and suddenly it's a revelation. C'mon guys, I threw you a softball Sunday, all you had to do was swing. You're letting me down.

You were right then and still are today.

robsnotes4u
November 20th, 2012, 07:13 AM
5. The remaining eight teams will play first-round games and will be paired according to geographic proximity and placed in the bracket according to geographic proximity of the top four seeds previously placed in the bracket;
6. The NCAA mileage threshold for mandatory team travel via ground is 400 miles;
7. Teams from the same conference will not be paired for first-round games or for second-
round games when both teams are playing their first games of the championship;
8. Once the first-round pairings have been determined, there will be no adjustments to the bracket (e.g., a top-four seed may play a conference opponent that advanced out of the first round.

superman7515
November 20th, 2012, 07:14 AM
Not saying it for the kudos, just suggesting a few more people should tune in to the radio show. We, from time to time, give some good talking points.

Bisonwinagn
November 20th, 2012, 07:14 AM
I really don't care how the Bison play, but I think SDSU got the shaft. They're ranked number 7 in the GPI and most Bison fans believe that is about where they should be ranked in the polls as well. They easily could win 3 or 4 games in this tournament, but may get stuck playing the number one team.

frozennorth
November 20th, 2012, 07:20 AM
still really don't understand how sdsu managed to achieve so little credibility nationally. outright second place in arguably the toughest conference this year? Granted the UNI loss was ugly, but just about everyone has one ugly loss.

I think villanova got it worse, I think they should have gotten the opening round bye over UNH

frozennorth
November 20th, 2012, 07:27 AM
5. The remaining eight teams will play first-round games and will be paired according to geographic proximity and placed in the bracket according to geographic proximity of the top four seeds previously placed in the bracket;
6. The NCAA mileage threshold for mandatory team travel via ground is 400 miles;
7. Teams from the same conference will not be paired for first-round games or for second-
round games when both teams are playing their first games of the championship;
8. Once the first-round pairings have been determined, there will be no adjustments to the bracket (e.g., a top-four seed may play a conference opponent that advanced out of the first round.
we get the rules, what people are saying is that the rules are stupid. Interconference play should be encouraged in the playoffs. This rule effectively dooms NDSU and SDSU to play early in the playoffs any year both teams make it.

Thundar
November 20th, 2012, 07:30 AM
NCAA FCS Selection Committee :pumpuke: http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/380816/

xblahx stop crying its the playoffs every team is good

UNH Fanboi
November 20th, 2012, 07:37 AM
we get the rules, what people are saying is that the rules are stupid. Interconference play should be encouraged in the playoffs. This rule effectively dooms NDSU and SDSU to play early in the playoffs any year both teams make it.

The author of the column that was posted did not complain about the rules. He clearly doesn't even know them.

SouthernMan
November 20th, 2012, 07:44 AM
The author of that article has no idea what he's talking about. Getting the #1 seed does NOT entitle you to pla the weakest team. It entitles you to play one of the eight weakest teams. That's it.

Go easy on them, they have not been at this very long to understand the playoff system. Regionalization was done while they were still "earning" their D2 championships. The committee does crazy things every year, this is absolutely nothing compared to other things they have done in the past. You learn to take the good with the bad, take GSU for example...we possibly (if, IF we get passed UCA) have the exact same path through the quarters and semis as last year, except now one of those is on the road. Two extremely tough opponents. But on the other side of the bracket App sits with a somewhat easier path, but the travel is going to suck having to possibly go to Montana and Washington in back to back weekends. There are pros and cons to all paths to Frisco. They should enjoy the fact that they get all their playoff games at home.

The UNH - Wofford game should be a good one and hopefully one of you can knock off NDSU.

robsnotes4u
November 20th, 2012, 07:46 AM

Because you don't like the rules they are stupid, that is childish. I can name more tourneys set up this way from High School to Professional than aren't. What would happen if Montana, Montana State, or EWU got the #1 seed and one of the other two was the last in. Would the same thing happen? Yes. The case could be made for any conference that gets at least two teams in. In fact, you don't have to be the last team in, just unseeded. It isn't like your are the two of the top 5 playing in round two.

Sam_Kats
November 20th, 2012, 07:50 AM
Wow.

Seems a bit childish.

Hammerhead
November 20th, 2012, 07:52 AM
I totaled the predictor values from the Sagarin ratings in each quarter of the bracket (and used the average for the pairs of teams that play in the first round) in attempt to see who has the hardest bracket.

Montana State has the hardest road to the semifinal round with a total predictor of 190. NDSU and Old Dominion are roughly equal at 177 and 179, respectively. EWU has the easiest road with 167.

ccd494
November 20th, 2012, 08:01 AM
You learn to take the good with the bad, take GSU for example...we possibly (if, IF we get passed UCA) have the exact same path through the quarters and semis as last year, except now one of those is on the road.

Really? Should I pop over to Orono this weekend and let the Bears know that Georgia Southern is coming up next round if they get by UCA?

frozennorth
November 20th, 2012, 08:05 AM
Because you don't like the rules they are stupid, that is childish. I can name more tourneys set up this way from High School to Professional than aren't. What would happen if Montana, Montana State, or EWU got the #1 seed and one of the other two was the last in. Would the same thing happen? Yes. The case could be made for any conference that gets at least two teams in. In fact, you don't have to be the last team in, just unseeded. It isn't like your are the two of the top 5 playing in round two.

i don't like a rules because they are contrary to the idea of a national tournament. Your teams in the bsc example should be separated in the bracket as well. Just because you disagree with me, doesn't make me 'childish' any more than it makes you a fool. Sorry that people want to play more teams from around the country in the playoffs.

cbarrier90
November 20th, 2012, 08:06 AM

So you're either:

Scared of SDSU, or

don't have as much confidence in your team as you did when you made that "BROCK JENSEN IS THE BEST QB IN THE FCS" thread...

MR. CHICKEN
November 20th, 2012, 08:10 AM
I totaled the predictor values from the Sagarin ratings in each quarter of the bracket (and used the average for the pairs of teams that play in the first round) in attempt to see who has the hardest bracket.

Montana State has the hardest road to the semifinal round with a total predictor of 190. NDSU and Old Dominion are roughly equal at 177 and 179, respectively. EWU has the easiest road with 167.

COODAH CONSERVED...DUH CALCULATOR BATTERY....JAY WALKER...TOLD US DAT...ON SUNDAY.....AWK!

ysubigred
November 20th, 2012, 08:20 AM
I think NDSU should get a bye till the championship game. Just sayin xlmaox

SpeedkingATL
November 20th, 2012, 08:36 AM
Really? Should I pop over to Orono this weekend and let the Bears know that Georgia Southern is coming up next round if they get by UCA?

Just stay away from Boone please!!

Thunderstruck
November 20th, 2012, 08:51 AM
From a fan prospective, I would like to see new/different teams in the dome. Did the Bison get a tough draw? Sure, but to be the best you have to beat the best. If its SDSU in our first game and Ill St in Frisco, so be it. I wouldn't mind seeing an Easter Ill, Wofford, UNH, ODU in the dome.

DSUrocks07
November 20th, 2012, 08:58 AM

It would be so much better for them to have to play one game for the national championship. Against the #2 ranked team. Makes it easier. I wonder where they do that at?

BisonBacker
November 20th, 2012, 08:58 AM

You do realize who you are replying to in that comment. El Portly Rob doesn't care about common sense, it's take any shot at NDSU and Fargo that is his Schtick on his blog and now apparently here as well.

Professor Chaos
November 20th, 2012, 09:10 AM
Who effin cares man? If NDSU is the true #1 it shouldn't make a damn bit of difference who the committee sends to us.

I think there are much better matchups out there for NDSU other than SDSU but if we have to play them why not do it when NDSU has the luxury of a bye week that SDSU does not have? SDSU still has to get through EIU as well.

round games when both teams are playing their first games of the championship
You're absolutely right that this should be no surprise and I hate that so many Bison fans and pundits are whining about it. However, this is a loophole in the rules that I think they need to close. They can't pair teams from the same conference only if it's both teams first playoff game. It should be if it's either team's first playoff game they shouldn't have the potential of playing another conference team. That said, these are the rules as they currently stand so there shouldn't be any complaining about who "got hosed".

NDSUstudent
November 20th, 2012, 09:10 AM
I really don't care how the Bison play, but I think SDSU got the shaft. They're ranked number 7 in the GPI and most Bison fans believe that is about where they should be ranked in the polls as well. They easily could win 3 or 4 games in this tournament, but may get stuck playing the number one team.

I totally agree with this. I think SDSU was the one who got screwed.

344Johnson
November 20th, 2012, 09:13 AM
It really doesn't make much sense that basically, teams from the same conference are going to play if they are close in proximity and one of them is unseeded. That comes across as a moneygrab rather than setting up a good tournement.

That said, these are the rules.

BisonBacker
November 20th, 2012, 09:14 AM
Go easy on them, they have not been at this very long to understand the playoff system. Regionalization was done while they were still "earning" their D2 championships. The committee does crazy things every year, this is absolutely nothing compared to other things they have done in the past. You learn to take the good with the bad, take GSU for example...we possibly (if, IF we get passed UCA) have the exact same path through the quarters and semis as last year, except now one of those is on the road. Two extremely tough opponents. But on the other side of the bracket App sits with a somewhat easier path, but the travel is going to suck having to possibly go to Montana and Washington in back to back weekends. There are pros and cons to all paths to Frisco. They should enjoy the fact that they get all their playoff games at home.

The UNH - Wofford game should be a good one and hopefully one of you can knock off NDSU.

You do realize the thread starter here is the newbie. Not all Bison fans are irrational. Bottom line in this is that it is what it is. Not saying I agree with it as the way the system is setup as FrozenNorth correctly pointed out it's F'd. If and when USD or SDSU gets in along with UNI and NDSU it effectively punishes the conference by bracketing the teams they way they did based on travel. If the travel costs are that big of an issue than either the NCAA better grow a pair and tell the schools that want to play at this level that you might have to spend a little to do it otherwise go play DII or DIII ball so you can play with neighbors and bus to the games. Bison fans also realize this setup is the same for everyone and everyone who follows FCS should be lamenting the fact that this rule effectively punishes their teams as well. I'd much rather see a team who isn't from our conference play as opposed to one I just saw three weeks ago. But like I said it is what it is. Eastern Washington got an early Christmas Present and does have the easier path to Frisco. I just pity the poor bastards who have to play on that red tampon they call a football field.

robsnotes4u
November 20th, 2012, 09:16 AM
This just crossed my mind, according to the article the Missouri Valley has the best conference. The committee and others must not think so with the Big Sky having a #2, #3 and Cal Poly getting a bye. I myself think it is a tough conference, but it is hard to judge conference to conference unless the big dogs of the conferences bump heads during the regular system. I would rather see that then have them play FBS games. I know NDSU has Montana State scheduled next year, and Montana the following year. Games like these will help seeding the tournament much easier, and let the fans understand it more.

danefan
November 20th, 2012, 09:17 AM
It really doesn't make much sense that basically, teams from the same conference are going to play if they are close in proximity and one of them is unseeded. That comes across as a moneygrab rather than setting up a good tournement.

That said, these are the rules.

Except for the fact that there is no money to grab. Historically the playoffs have lost a whole heck of a lot more money than they made. The whole system was revised post 9/11 to be a cost-saving tournament at the expense of the tournament.

robsnotes4u
November 20th, 2012, 09:19 AM
You do realize who you are replying to in that comment. El Portly Rob doesn't care about common sense, it's take any shot at NDSU and Fargo that is his Schtick on his blog and now apparently here as well.

Amazing, I don't think you know me. I don't have a blog, and I do back NDSU, and live in Fargo. I just don't like the whining. My statement is totally based on common sense. You have the wrong guy.

Gil Dobie
November 20th, 2012, 09:27 AM
I don't care if NDSU has to play GSU, App St, Montana St or whoever in the second round, it's the playoffs.
Some of the younger Bison fans forget the pain of the 5 years of agony waiting for the playoffs. Enjoy it while we got it.

robsnotes4u
November 20th, 2012, 09:29 AM
I don't care if NDSU has to play GSU, App St, Montana St or whoever in the second round, it's the playoffs.
Some of the younger Bison fans forget the pain of the 5 years of agony waiting for the playoffs. Enjoy it while we got it.
Amen, great attitude. there are a lot of teams they would love to be here, and some even deserve it as much as others

344Johnson
November 20th, 2012, 09:40 AM
Except for the fact that there is no money to grab. Historically the playoffs have lost a whole heck of a lot more money than they made. The whole system was revised post 9/11 to be a cost-saving tournament at the expense of the tournament.

You know what I mean, it isn't designed to be a good system, it is for cost-saving. So in my eyes, it is a money grab. The NCAA has plenty of coin I would guess, they can afford to put on a good tourney where money isn't much of an issue.

robsnotes4u
November 20th, 2012, 09:43 AM
I totally agree with this. I think SDSU was the one who got screwed.

You could be right, I was impressed with them, considering how they played against #1. Unfortunately most don't get to see games from other conferences very often. My wife and I watch a lot of Big Sky games, they use to all be free on bigskytv on the internet, so we have a great feel for that conference, and what goes on in the Missouri Valley. We watch scores of other teams, but that doesn't deliver the whole picture of a game. For example, people only look at the record of SDSU without knowledge of how they progressed through the year, along with being in the game with NDSU until the penalty that gave up the first down late in the fourth quarter allowing NDSU a TD instead of a field goal.

How tough is the field? SDSU almost didn't get in.

BisonBacker
November 20th, 2012, 09:43 AM
You know what I mean, it isn't designed to be a good system, it is for cost-saving. So in my eyes, it is a money grab. The NCAA has plenty of coin I would guess, they can afford to put on a good tourney where money isn't much of an issue.

This is spot on and the fact the NCAA does this is wrong. They should be more interested in making it the best system but they are more concerned with $$$$$. We all know how poor the NCAA is.

Vitojr130
November 20th, 2012, 09:49 AM
You do realize the thread starter here is the newbie. Not all Bison fans are irrational. Bottom line in this is that it is what it is. Not saying I agree with it as the way the system is setup as FrozenNorth correctly pointed out it's F'd. If and when USD or SDSU gets in along with UNI and NDSU it effectively punishes the conference by bracketing the teams they way they did based on travel. If the travel costs are that big of an issue than either the NCAA better grow a pair and tell the schools that want to play at this level that you might have to spend a little to do it otherwise go play DII or DIII ball so you can play with neighbors and bus to the games. Bison fans also realize this setup is the same for everyone and everyone who follows FCS should be lamenting the fact that this rule effectively punishes their teams as well. I'd much rather see a team who isn't from our conference play as opposed to one I just saw three weeks ago. But like I said it is what it is. Eastern Washington got an early Christmas Present and does have the easier path to Frisco. I just pity the poor bastards who have to play on that red tampon they call a football field.

And here is the entire reason why most of our fans are upset. We were excited to see new teams come to the dome and see how we stack up against OTHER conferences. However, I believe SDSU will handidly beat EIU and thus make the trip to Fargo... again.

This is all null and void if EIU manages to beat SDSU though...

DJKyR0
November 20th, 2012, 09:51 AM
I don't want an easy road.

robsnotes4u
November 20th, 2012, 09:53 AM
Who effin cares man? If NDSU is the true #1 it shouldn't make a damn bit of difference who the committee sends to us.

I think there are much better matchups out there for NDSU other than SDSU but if we have to play them why not do it when NDSU has the luxury of a bye week that SDSU does not have? SDSU still has to get through EIU as well.

You're absolutely right that this should be no surprise and I hate that so many Bison fans and pundits are whining about it. However, this is a loophole in the rules that I think they need to close. They can't pair teams from the same conference only if it's both teams first playoff game. It should be if it's either team's first playoff game they shouldn't have the potential of playing another conference team. That said, these are the rules as they currently stand so there shouldn't be any complaining about who "got hosed".

Luckily they don't just take the top team from each conference. That would suck. When I was in high school our basketball team, Divide County, won the North Dakota Class B basketball championship. Only one team from each region, eight regions in the state, advanced to the State tournament. In our region the top three teams, Parshall, New Town, and Divide County could have easily won the tournament, but only one got to advance. Now that is a crazy system. Be thankful we don't have that.

Vitojr130
November 20th, 2012, 09:56 AM
Amazing, I don't think you know me. I don't have a blog, and I do back NDSU, and live in Fargo. I just don't like the whining. My statement is totally based on common sense. You have the wrong guy.

Well, having lived in Fargo for a significant portion of my life, I have yet to find any "whining" about NDSU that is different from anywhere else... Sure, there may be some whining about piss-poor reffing and such, but EVERY football team has fans that do this sort of whining... UNDies included. If you are going to cry about the crying, then it is a sad day to be had in robs household. Kind of ironic, isn't it?

NHwildEcat
November 20th, 2012, 10:00 AM
You wanted into the FBS Tositos Fiesta Sugar Bowl? Sorry man, limits.

NDSUstudent
November 20th, 2012, 10:19 AM
You could be right, I was impressed with them, considering how they played against #1. Unfortunately most don't get to see games from other conferences very often. My wife and I watch a lot of Big Sky games, they use to all be free on bigskytv on the internet, so we have a great feel for that conference, and what goes on in the Missouri Valley. We watch scores of other teams, but that doesn't deliver the whole picture of a game. For example, people only look at the record of SDSU without knowledge of how they progressed through the year, along with being in the game with NDSU until the penalty that gave up the first down late in the fourth quarter allowing NDSU a TD instead of a field goal.

How tough is the field? SDSU almost didn't get in.

How do we actually know this if they setup the bracket regionally?

IBleedYellow
November 20th, 2012, 10:21 AM
I don't want an easy road.
This guy, has it right. Just WIN BABY!

BisonHype!
November 20th, 2012, 10:24 AM
Everyone has a different point of view on it. As the #1 seed, I should expect my team to defeat a team that we have already beat. SDSU is a good team, and I am sure it will be a good game, but I do feel bad for SDSU. They played hard, had a good season, and I feel earned the ranking to deserve to have a better road. If anyone has a reason to be mad it should be them. Someone said it would be nice to see another team in the dome, and I agree. We will have a sellout no matter who it is, but would be good to see a team that we don't normally play.

Hammerhead
November 20th, 2012, 10:28 AM
Chartering a flight for 130 people from the visiting school isn't cheap.

kdinva
November 20th, 2012, 11:17 AM

or be placed in a bracket with Davidson, Savannah St., and Valpo.

superman7515
November 20th, 2012, 11:47 AM
So what it comes down to is the system was fine for the last decade and it didn't matter when there were 5 CAA teams in and playing each other, but now that it affects NDSU, it is clearly flawed and we need to write letters to our Senators urging a congressional investigation, get Donald Trump to find birth certificates for the selection committee, and start a telethon hosted by Jerry Lewis and Sally Struthers to send those poor kids in Fargo some care packages for all the wrong that has been done to them in the past 48 hours.

Okay.

frozennorth
November 20th, 2012, 11:55 AM
So what it comes down to is the system was fine for the last decade and it didn't matter when there were 5 CAA teams in and playing each other, but now that it affects NDSU, it is clearly flawed and we need to write letters to our Senators urging a congressional investigation, get Donald Trump to find birth certificates for the selection committee, and start a telethon hosted by Jerry Lewis and Sally Struthers to send those poor kids in Fargo some care packages for all the wrong that has been done to them in the past 48 hours.

Okay.
so do you agree or disagree that it would make for a better playoff system to have non-conference opponents when possible?

superman7515
November 20th, 2012, 12:00 PM
Personally, I couldn't care less. If Delaware is the best team, it isn't going to matter, we're going to win if the chain gang can spot a ball correctly. xlolx Heck, that's the only way we get to see New Hampshire anymore is meeting them in the playoffs. But if I had to pick, I'd want conference opponents facing each other sooner because I don't want to see LSU & Alabama play for the conference championship and then turn around a few weeks later and play for the national championship.

Gil Dobie
November 20th, 2012, 12:01 PM
Please die thread !!!!!!!!!!!

FargoBison
November 20th, 2012, 12:39 PM
Seriously people are we going to bitch about this for two weeks? What's done is done and it is hard to argue about it when the NCAA followed their own rules. It wasn't like they did this intentionally, high seeded teams have been screwed before and they will be screwed again.

deez_na
November 20th, 2012, 12:54 PM
Well you have to admit NDSU earned the #1 seed and got shafted on the bracket. Blind committee apparently.

Professor Chaos
November 20th, 2012, 01:04 PM
Well you have to admit NDSU earned the #1 seed and got shafted on the bracket. Blind committee apparently.
This isn't the NCAA basketball tournament. They don't seed everybody. SDSU was one of the teams in the bottom 8. After that there's no notion of seeding or setting up higher seeds with lesser teams. If you have a beef it's with the NCAA for setting up the rules they way they did, the selection committee did their job.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 20th, 2012, 01:07 PM
I'll go in and say that the consensus opinion is that this notion is stupid. Nobody thinks NDSU got the shaft. We are not worried about playing SDSU again, at least no more worried about playing ODU or Georgia Southern. As it stands, that is how it works. This thread has been little more than everybody's opportunity to take pot shots at #1.

I'll take the pot shots to be #1

georgecostanza
November 20th, 2012, 01:11 PM
This thread is the result of many FCS fans not understanding the rules and logistics of playing in a tournament that loses money.

With that in mind, the NCAA really wants SDSU to win this game on Saturday.

1 flight from coast to coast is far less expensive than 2 flights; one from the East Coast to North Dakota, the other from South Dakota or Illinois to Washington.

GreatAppSt
November 20th, 2012, 01:13 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC75aU47GRk

NoDak 4 Ever
November 20th, 2012, 01:16 PM
This thread is the result of a few FCS fans not understanding the rules and logistics of playing in a tournament that loses money.

With that in mind, the NCAA really wants SDSU to win this game on Saturday.

1 flight from coast to coast is far less expensive than 2 flights; one from the East Coast to North Dakota, the other from South Dakota or Illinois to Washington.

FIFY

robsnotes4u
November 20th, 2012, 01:18 PM
Ok, we officially have a thread called "Lehighed" Now we should have "Bisoned", from now on when you don't like your draw, and you think you were screwed by the rules, you have been Bisoned.

BisonBacker
November 20th, 2012, 01:22 PM
This thread is the result of many FCS fans Wanting to see the best tournament possible.

With that in mind, the NCAA really should only care about putting on the best playoff scenario possible.

1 Money may not be made on individual games however the NCAA is flush with Cash so what this playoffs cost in overall terms of what the NCAA has for Cash reserves wouldn't amount to a mosquito on an elephants A$$

There I fixed it for you.

robsnotes4u
November 20th, 2012, 01:25 PM
I'll go in and say that the consensus opinion is that this notion is stupid. Nobody thinks NDSU got the shaft. We are not worried about playing SDSU again, at least no more worried about playing ODU or Georgia Southern. As it stands, that is how it works. This thread has been little more than everybody's opportunity to take pot shots at #1.

And you are deserving of being #1. Back to Back, what an opportunity. That is an elite group GSU, YSU, and ASU. I think Montana and Marshall played in back to back championship games but split.

BisonBacker
November 20th, 2012, 01:26 PM
The truth of the matter here is the NCAA doesn't really give a rats behind about the FCS and is putting on the cheapest tourney possible. Now compare this to what they do with FBS football or DI basketball. You really want to argue the NCAA cannot afford to send a team anywhere necessary to play a game? Sorry but that is lame and is BS. NDSU fans like any fan of FCS should demand better than what the NCAA is doing with the FCS playoffs. If money was such a huge issue why the hell are they expanding the playoff format next year? Doesn't make sense to me.

superman7515
November 20th, 2012, 01:40 PM

I'm not taking any shots at your team at all, just the few fans in this thread who were crying so hard they couldn't see, tripped, and fractured their hymen.

BisonHype!
November 20th, 2012, 01:41 PM

Okay.

Let's not group all NDSU fans into one category please...

NoDak 4 Ever
November 20th, 2012, 01:42 PM
I'm not taking any shots at your team at all, just the few fans in this thread who were crying so hard they couldn't see, tripped, and fractured their hymen.

I'm looking all all the other bitchy threads that popped up after the playoffs were announced. I'm not seeing similar regulation anywhere else.

superman7515
November 20th, 2012, 01:43 PM
Now compare this to what they do with FBS football or DI basketball.

They don't do anything with the FBS because they don't control anyone's regular season and the BCS is not a part of the NCAA. As for basketball, it makes them hundreds of millions in profit every year, so until the FCS playoffs do that, of course the basketball tournament will get treated differently.

bisonguy
November 20th, 2012, 01:54 PM
Who cares?

NDSU got a ticket to the dance and gets homefield throughout.

Bring on the competition.

BisonHype!
November 20th, 2012, 01:57 PM
This is just a silly thread. Not scared about playing SDSU. Really don't care. Let's just play ball and stop bitching. It isn't going to change the bracket we have now. Should SDSU be where it is in the bracket according to committee rules. Sure, they want to save money I guess. That is what going on the cheap gets you. Can't change it now. Playoffs are meant to be hard, but for SDSU it is a raw deal.

BisonHype!
November 20th, 2012, 01:59 PM
Who cares?

NDSU got a ticket to the dance and gets homefield throughout.

Bring on the competition.

Agreed. If you don't make it to Frisco, nobody remembers anyways.

BisonBacker
November 20th, 2012, 02:01 PM
They don't do anything with the FBS because they don't control anyone's regular season and the BCS is not a part of the NCAA. As for basketball, it makes them hundreds of millions in profit every year, so until the FCS playoffs do that, of course the basketball tournament will get treated differently.

I realize that I'm just saying if they are going to put on a playoff do it right it's not like the NCAA is piss poor, actually. I don't have the numbers and don't know if they are even available to the average joe but I'd be real curious to see the numbers pre 9-11 on what the FCS playoff P/L was. I'm not saying I think it was a huge profit for them but I'd be interested on a year by year breakdown to see the numbers. Look I realize that FCS will never be a huge money maker to the NCAA but I do think they could make it a better experience for the fans by not trying to do it on the cheap.

Vitojr130
November 20th, 2012, 02:02 PM
Seriously people are we going to bitch about this for two weeks? What's done is done and it is hard to argue about it when the NCAA followed their own rules. It wasn't like they did this intentionally, high seeded teams have been screwed before and they will be screwed again.

Well, suggest something new to bitch about haha. xthumbsupx

superman7515
November 20th, 2012, 02:26 PM
I realize that I'm just saying if they are going to put on a playoff do it right it's not like the NCAA is piss poor, actually. I don't have the numbers and don't know if they are even available to the average joe but I'd be real curious to see the numbers pre 9-11 on what the FCS playoff P/L was. I'm not saying I think it was a huge profit for them but I'd be interested on a year by year breakdown to see the numbers. Look I realize that FCS will never be a huge money maker to the NCAA but I do think they could make it a better experience for the fans by not trying to do it on the cheap.

But the flip side of that is that by saving money over the last decade, the playoffs are about to undergo their second expansion. Less costs has equaled greater access. Some won't like that, but the Big South, NEC, PFL, etc certainly appreciate it being done so the FCS isn't so akin to the BCS by leaving out the perceived small time teams. Gotta take the bad with the good.

asumike83
November 20th, 2012, 02:30 PM
A likely match-up with a team you've already beaten once and you won't have to leave the 72 degree dome unless you make it to Frisco. Could be worse.

BisonBacker
November 20th, 2012, 02:32 PM
But the flip side of that is that by saving money over the last decade, the playoffs are about to undergo their second expansion. Less costs has equaled greater access. Some won't like that, but the Big South, NEC, PFL, etc certainly appreciate it being done so the FCS isn't so akin to the BCS by leaving out the perceived small time teams. Gotta take the bad with the good.

Honestly I don't see this as good. I know that's not going to sit well with some folks but to me watering down the quality of the competition all in order to be more inclusive doesn't give you a better playoff. To me this is one of the reasons you are going to see teams like App, Go. Southern, make the move up to FBS like some others have already done. It's also going to force the rest like Montana, NDSU ect to also look at a move like that. Being all inclusive is maybe politically correct but doesn't give you a better playoff system.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 20th, 2012, 02:33 PM
A likely match-up with a team you've already beaten once and you won't have to leave the 72 degree dome unless you make it to Frisco. Could be worse.

How about having to play GSU in the first round? Not all teams are the same. That is the thesis of this whole argument.

My point still stands. I think it's silly to bitch about this but there is a valid reason to kvetch a little.

asumike83
November 20th, 2012, 02:39 PM
How about having to play GSU in the first round? Not all teams are the same. That is the thesis of this whole argument.

My point still stands. I think it's silly to bitch about this but there is a valid reason to kvetch a little.

I agree, not all teams are the same and some teams have an easier first game draw than others. However, in my opinion, either you win the title or you don't and if you get knocked out at home, whether that happens in round one or the Semifinals, you don't deserve a ring.

Trust me, I didn't want to see Illinois State paired with Appalachian but if they come to Boone and beat us, we've got nobody to blame but ourselves. No easy games in the playoffs, time to buckle up the chinstrap and take care of business.

Gil Dobie
November 20th, 2012, 02:40 PM

Georgia Southern at home in the first round would be great.

BisonBacker
November 20th, 2012, 02:42 PM

I realize that but on the flip side it's a hose job moreso for SDSU. Regionalization is crap IMHO but maybe that isn't so humble ;)

BisonBacker
November 20th, 2012, 02:43 PM
I agree, not all teams are the same and some teams have an easier first game draw than others. However, in my opinion, either you win the title or you don't and if you get knocked out at home, whether that happens in round one or the Semifinals, you don't deserve a ring.

Trust me, I didn't want to see Illinois State paired with Appalachian but if they come to Boone and beat us, we've got nobody to blame but ourselves. No easy games in the playoffs, time to buckle up the chinstrap and take care of business.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Thundar
November 20th, 2012, 02:51 PM

Amen!! Play games and lock/delete this thread

tingly
November 20th, 2012, 02:53 PM
Even D-I basketball has some regionalization and NCAA makes big money off it. FCS is a lot looser with it than other NCAA sports.

BEAR
November 20th, 2012, 02:53 PM
Bunch of hosers....

http://images.wikia.com/himym/images/b/b8/Hoser_Hut.jpg

89rabbit
November 20th, 2012, 03:06 PM
I realize that but on the flip side it's a hose job moreso for SDSU. Regionalization is crap IMHO but maybe that isn't so humble ;)

We are going to have to beat you at some point. 2nd round, 3rd round, Championship game. Whatever, it is all the same to us. xrotatehx

WeAreNorthDakota
November 20th, 2012, 03:08 PM
Even D-I basketball has some regionalization and NCAA makes big money off it. FCS is a lot looser with it than other NCAA sports.

Were Bison fans complaining about regionalization when they got a first round NCAA tourney game against regional opponent Kansas in Minneapolis a few years ago?

Gil Dobie
November 20th, 2012, 03:20 PM
Were Bison fans complaining about regionalization when they got a first round NCAA tourney game against regional opponent Kansas in Minneapolis a few years ago?

I don't know, were they?

BisonFan02
November 20th, 2012, 03:23 PM
Other than being a not being able (potentially) to see someone different come into the dome for the second round, I couldn't care less who the Bison play. Yes, I would have liked to see someone out of conference, but I will get over it.

WeAreNorthDakota
November 20th, 2012, 03:25 PM
Of course they weren't. It's hypocritic to complain about regionalization now when regionalization is the reason they got to drive to an NCAA tourney game a few years ago. That first game could've just as easily been in Houston or Charlotte or Boston but regionalization put them in Minneapolis.

Gil Dobie
November 20th, 2012, 03:38 PM
Of course they weren't. It's hypocritic to complain about regionalization now when regionalization is the reason they got to drive to an NCAA tourney game a few years ago. That first game could've just as easily been in Houston or Charlotte or Boston but regionalization put them in Minneapolis.

This new batch of NDSU fans did not experience the penalty imposed by DII when they played Montana. A win over Montana was worth less than a DII win at the time. Now that was something to complain about.

BisonFan02
November 20th, 2012, 03:52 PM

Granted, this March Madness regionalization comparison is apples/oranges. NDSU and Kansas aren't exactly in the same conference are they? I also don't think the regionalization portion about the host city is relevant in the FCS playoffs either.

Bison06
November 20th, 2012, 03:53 PM
This new batch of NDSU fans did not experience the penalty imposed by DII when they played Montana. A win over Montana was worth less than a DII win at the time. Now that was something to complain about.

Agreed. It is interesting the comment you made about this "new batch" of NDSU fans. I never thought about it that way, but you are absolutely right. We have this new wave of people who don't even really know the NDSU history and tradition. It's very interesting.

BisonFan02
November 20th, 2012, 04:02 PM
Agreed. It is interesting the comment you made about this "new batch" of NDSU fans. I never thought about it that way, but you are absolutely right. We have this new wave of people who don't even really know the NDSU history and tradition. It's very interesting.

Delta State anyone?

BisonBacker
November 20th, 2012, 04:04 PM
Delta State anyone?

Kitty Litter Bowl

MR. CHICKEN
November 20th, 2012, 09:49 PM
GET OVERAH IT.....BIZON'S........YE'R ONE UH TWENTY.....STILL...TEEIN' IT UP....DELAWARE...LOTTAH TIMES...HAD TA GO DEEP INTA DUH PLAY-OFFS...JES' TA GET NEW HELMETS...ONTA TUBBY FIELD...........AWK-UH-DOODLE-DOO!