PDA

View Full Version : More Ignorance from ESPN

GeauxColonels
August 15th, 2006, 03:40 PM
Pat Forde wrote an article on ESPN.com pitting the NCAA VS the NFL. HERE IT IS (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=2549400)
__________________________________________________ ___________

HOWEVER, what he failed to mention is that he was basically comparing I-A to the NFL:

Issue: Playoffs
In the NFL, they're fabulous.
In college, they're nonexistent.
Uhhhhh, not so fast my friend! :nono:

SURE he throws out one mention of I-AA:

Issue: Fight songs and marching bands
"Hail to the Redskins" is swell, but it's dying of loneliness. Bands have been drowned out in the NFL by piped-in Metallica and Guns N' Roses before kickoffs, on third down and between every possession -- which, given the deafening, overwhelming and impersonal nature of the pro game, is more apropos anyway. If you want pregame chills, show up in Tiger Stadium, Notre Dame Stadium or Eddie Robinson Stadium when the band hits the field.

Once again, this proves the role of the mass-media in facilitating the public's ignorance when it comes to ALL of NCAA football. There ARE playoffs...in fact, at EVERY LEVEL except I-A! :mad: :mad:

GeauxColonels
August 15th, 2006, 04:16 PM
Here's even MORE of this nonsense, this time, from Len Pasquarelli. HERE IS THE ARTICLE (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2549313)
__________________________________________________ _______

Here is a list of quotes PROVING his ignorance too:

The NCAA has sanctioned 32 bowl games for Division I teams in the coming season.
Everybody......NO!!!!! :nono: :bang:

Over the same five-year period, just 18 different Division I teams have finished in the consensus top 10.
I'm sure there have been MANY DI teams that have finished consensus top 10....I-A, that's a different story.

4. You call that enlightened?
There are now 119 football programs in the NCAA playing at the Division I level.
I think I speak for everyone here when I say, "MORON" If you're going to chastize college football for lack of enlightenment....at least get the terminology right?!

And finally, I'll leave you all with this last quote (Ralph, I hope you're sitting for this one....)

And it is so because every game counts, not just the homecoming mismatch or the opener against a Division I-AA pushover.

Discuss.

JoshUCA
August 15th, 2006, 05:34 PM
And the NCAA wonders why there is a stigma placed on I-AA...and changing it's name is NOT going to resolve the situation!:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

CSU BUCS
August 16th, 2006, 10:07 AM
It's everywhere, even on the big screen. In the Longest Yard Sandler talks about playing a push over team like "Div. 2" APP state.

Retro
August 16th, 2006, 11:00 AM
I reccomend everyone email the writer and correct him as needed.. The only way to get their attention is to educate them!:nono:

JoshUCA
August 16th, 2006, 11:32 AM
I e-mailed Pat Forde because he has his e-mail address at the bottom of the article, but I couldn't find the e-mail for the other guy, but writes abou the NFL for ESPN...what can we expect from a guy that writes an article about 20 reasons why the NFL is better than college football!!xidiotx

GSUISBACK
August 16th, 2006, 11:36 AM
:giveadamn:

smallcollegefbfan
August 16th, 2006, 12:49 PM
That crap is why I don't read their stuff.

Marcus Garvey
August 16th, 2006, 12:53 PM
Pat Forde wrote an article on ESPN.com pitting the NCAA VS the NFL. HERE IT IS (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=2549400)
__________________________________________________ ___________

HOWEVER, what he failed to mention is that he was basically comparing I-A to the NFL:

Uhhhhh, not so fast my friend! :nono:

SURE he throws out one mention of I-AA:

Once again, this proves the role of the mass-media in facilitating the public's ignorance when it comes to ALL of NCAA football. There ARE playoffs...in fact, at EVERY LEVEL except I-A! :mad: :mad:

xcoffeex
Wah, wah, wah, wah, wah...

In comparing college football to the NFL, only I-A football is truly comparable. It was understood what Forde meant. When the I-AA championship game pays out $10 Million to the participating schools, then I will have been proven wrong.

We should take a poll as to how many I-AA football fans on this board suffer from an inferiority complex.

smallcollegefbfan
August 16th, 2006, 01:04 PM
xcoffeex

In comparing college football to the NFL, only I-A football is truly comparable. It was understood what Forde meant. When the I-AA championship game pays out $10 Million to the participating schools, then I will have been proven wrong.

We should take a poll as to how many I-AA football fans on this board suffer from an inferiority complex.

I agree with you but I also think those guys are not technically right a good bit so that is a major reason why I do not read most of their stuff.

smallcollegefbfan
August 16th, 2006, 01:09 PM
Many fans in I-A think that all I-AA teams are pushovers. I don't care if they think that or not. I know it is not true but I won't sit around and complain about it. We all know that schools like Elon, Savannah State, and others are pushovers but then you have programs like Montana, App State, Furman, GSU, Delaware, UMASS, SIU, Illinois State, McNeese State, etc. who provide for good competition to mid-tier I-As and sometimes give top 25 teams a run for their money.

GeauxColonels
August 16th, 2006, 01:16 PM
xcoffeex

I understand what you're saying, but don't take this as crying or an inferiority complex by me. I grew up a HUGE LSU fan, got a degree from there and live in Baton Rouge. When it comes to college football, I-A is what most people think of. I'm not denying that.

HOWEVER, if he's going to write and article, AT LEAST get the terminology right. If I'm forced to use PC terms in this day an age, the least he can do is throw"-A" behind DI. And if he's going to say that college football has no playoff (which all levels do EXCEPT one), then he shouldn't mention Eddie Robinson Stadium in the article.

My complaint is lack of accuracy and consistency.

MACHIAVELLI
August 22nd, 2006, 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by Pat Forde of ESPN.com
Issue: Fight songs and marching bands
"Hail to the Redskins" is swell, but it's dying of loneliness. Bands have been drowned out in the NFL by piped-in Metallica and Guns N' Roses before kickoffs, on third down and between every possession -- which, given the deafening, overwhelming and impersonal nature of the pro game, is more apropos anyway. If you want pregame chills, show up in Tiger Stadium, Notre Dame Stadium or Eddie Robinson Stadium when the band hits the field.
He sure got that one right!!:bow:

August 22nd, 2006, 02:17 PM
xcoffeex
We should take a poll as to how many I-AA football fans on this board suffer from an inferiority complex.We should maybe take a poll to see how many "supposed" I-AA fans really think I-AA is a pushover, huh Garvey?

"In comparing college football to the NFL, only I-A football is truly comparable" - WHAT???? Name the biggest stars in NFL history who graduated since 1978 and then get back to me. Why is I-AA not comparable? Seems the inferiority complex might be right, but not with I-AA.

What does payout have to do with championships and quality football?

Wow, the name change has really brought out the I-A lovers.

Marcus Garvey
August 22nd, 2006, 03:19 PM
We should maybe take a poll to see how many "supposed" I-AA fans really think I-AA is a pushover, huh Garvey?

"In comparing college football to the NFL, only I-A football is truly comparable" - WHAT???? Name the biggest stars in NFL history who graduated since 1978 and then get back to me. Why is I-AA not comparable? Seems the inferiority complex might be right, but not with I-AA.

What does payout have to do with championships and quality football?

Wow, the name change has really brought out the I-A lovers.

:rolleyes: Ralph, football is a team sport. While there are plenty of players scattered throughout I-AA football who have the talent to play in the NFL, there is no single I-AA team that could compete in the NFL. Meanwhile, there are dozens of I-A teams who could compete with the lesser NFL teams.

Talent aside, what else do I-A and NFL have in common?
Crowds in excess of 60,000 on game day. Only about 3 I-AA games in any given year exceed that number.
Major national media coverage
Big time TV Contracts
Big TV ratings
Gambling spreads by Las Vegas bookmakers

Now, none of these diminishes the "quality" of the football play. But they're all facts.
I'm surprised it's taken you this long to respond to my post. You be careful there big guy! Don't get any of that spittle on your monitor! :smiley_wi

Mr. C
August 22nd, 2006, 03:38 PM
:rolleyes: Ralph, football is a team sport. While there are plenty of players scattered throughout I-AA football who have the talent to play in the NFL, there is no single I-AA team that could compete in the NFL. Meanwhile, there are dozens of I-A teams who could compete with the lesser NFL teams.

Talent aside, what else do I-A and NFL have in common?
Crowds in excess of 60,000 on game day. Only about 3 I-AA games in any given year exceed that number.
Major national media coverage
Big time TV Contracts
Big TV ratings
Gambling spreads by Las Vegas bookmakers

Now, none of these diminishes the "quality" of the football play. But they're all facts.
I'm surprised it's taken you this long to respond to my post. You be careful there big guy! Don't get any of that spittle on your monitor! :smiley_wi
In truth, NO I-A team, even mighty USC, could beat the weakest of NFL teams either.

lucchesicourt
August 22nd, 2006, 03:48 PM
Guys, I knew we (UCD) had a fair chance against Stanford (considering they struggled against a NON schollie D2 Aggie squad and lost). Now we are schollie (not at max yet), but will play TCU and I believe we will hang with them, at least for a while. I have told my friends that UCD QB's are NOT to be taken lightly, as many have done well at the pro level. TCU fans do not think that much of UCD. They do not consider the game as competetive, nor does the sports media. All I can say is TCU BETTER be prepared as games are not won on paper. Could we beat CAL? I wouldn't expect too. But, CAL chose not to play UCD. They must know something others don't. I am sure the coach at TCU is not taking UCD lightly ( he's a UCD alum), but the players and the fans I believe are.

Marcus Garvey
August 22nd, 2006, 03:50 PM
In truth, NO I-A team, even mighty USC, could beat the weakest of NFL teams either.

That's a debatable issue. When you get right down to it, no matter what side of the argument you take, it can never be verified as USC will never play an NFL team.

However, if it were to happen, and I had to wager on it, I'd take Seattle over USC, but USC over Oakland! xlolx

Mr. C
August 22nd, 2006, 04:00 PM
That's a debatable issue. When you get right down to it, no matter what side of the argument you take, it can never be verified as USC will never play an NFL team.

However, if it were to happen, and I had to wager on it, I'd take Seattle over USC, but USC over Oakland! xlolx
Even the worst pro teams have a roster filled with college stars. I've seen some great college teams over the years, but even the best of them had many players who were not NFL caliber. A pro team would exploit those weaknesses, even if it was Al Davis and his Raiders (go for the bomb, Al).

GeauxColonels
August 22nd, 2006, 04:49 PM
I could maybe see the USC team in it's prime giving some NFL teams a run for their money and MAYBE pulling out victories over the Texans, Saints or 49ers last year. But overall, hardly ANY college team could be NFL teams (as opposed to "dozens")

Catmendue2
August 22nd, 2006, 04:57 PM
I understand what you're saying, but don't take this as crying or an inferiority complex by me. I grew up a HUGE LSU fan, got a degree from there and live in Baton Rouge. When it comes to college football, I-A is what most people think of. I'm not denying that.

HOWEVER, if he's going to write and article, AT LEAST get the terminology right. If I'm forced to use PC terms in this day an age, the least he can do is throw"-A" behind DI. And if he's going to say that college football has no playoff (which all levels do EXCEPT one), then he shouldn't mention Eddie Robinson Stadium in the article.

My complaint is lack of accuracy and consistency.

You seem to be more angry about the Grambling statement than the article. Whether you like it not, The World Fame is famous.:hurray:

GeauxColonels
August 22nd, 2006, 05:03 PM
You seem to be more angry about the Grambling statement than the article. Whether you like it not, The World Fame is famous.:hurray:
Not at all angry about the statement pertaining to Grambling. I root for ANY Louisiana school (as long as it isn't playing my Colonels). My complaint is that he ignores I-AA in every other aspect. He talks about how there are no playoffs in college football....that's not accurate. EVERY LEVEL except I-A has playoffs.

Don't try to twist my words around and assume that I mean anything more than what it typed. If he want's to mention Grambling - GREAT :hurray: BUT, don't ignore I-AA altogether.

Catmendue2
August 22nd, 2006, 05:19 PM
Not at all angry about the statement pertaining to Grambling. I root for ANY Louisiana school (as long as it isn't playing my Colonels). My complaint is that he ignores I-AA in every other aspect. He talks about how there are no playoffs in college football....that's not accurate. EVERY LEVEL except I-A has playoffs.

Don't try to twist my words around and assume that I mean anything more than what it typed. If he want's to mention Grambling - GREAT :hurray: BUT, don't ignore I-AA altogether.

Some folks actually don't know are care that we exist in 1-AA. We have to change that perception.

ASU Kep
August 22nd, 2006, 05:58 PM
ESPN must die. :)

GeauxColonels
August 22nd, 2006, 06:58 PM
Some folks actually don't know are care that we exist in 1-AA. We have to change that perception.
Exactly...that was the point of the thread. These "sports-writers" need to do their homework.

Golden Eagle
August 22nd, 2006, 07:59 PM
They are doing quite well without any homework, so I doubt they will. There is no demand for adding the extra "A" because next to nobody reads their columns hoping to find out stuff about Southern Illinois or Hofstra. They're reading to find out about Nebraska and USC and Florida State. 99% of college football media is focused (almost exclusively) on the BCS conferences, so they have no reason to care whether or not I-AA has a playoff or not. For the purposes of that article, college has no playoff.

Marcus Garvey
August 22nd, 2006, 09:39 PM
They are doing quite well without any homework, so I doubt they will. There is no demand for adding the extra "A" because next to nobody reads their columns hoping to find out stuff about Southern Illinois or Hofstra. They're reading to find out about Nebraska and USC and Florida State. 99% of college football media is focused (almost exclusively) on the BCS conferences, so they have no reason to care whether or not I-AA has a playoff or not. For the purposes of that article, college has no playoff.

Nicely put. That was the point I was attempting to make in my "wah,wah,wah" post. What I find humorous is the outrage displayed by some of the people who responded to this thread. Forde never overtly dissed I-AA as inferior or sub-standard, or scrub football or anything of the like. He simply did not acknowledge their playoff system.

For that matter, he didn't acknowledge Division II or Division III's playoff either. Maybe we can get some Pittsburg St. or Dennison fans to complain about the lack of respect from sports writers too! :rolleyes: