PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Illinois @ South Dakota State

Pages : [1] 2

Professor Chaos
November 19th, 2012, 09:55 AM
Interesting matchup in Brookings, South Dakota this weekend. Eastern Illinois comes in with the 6th ranked passing offense (http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/stat/1AA-team-passing-off.htm) in the nation (345.27 ypg) to face an SDSU pass defense that is #4 in the country in defensive pass efficiency (http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/stat/1AA-team-passing-eff-def.htm).

On the flip side SDSU has the nation's 2nd leading rusher in Zach Zenner (1703 yards) going up against a Eastern Illinois rush defense that gave up 150 ypg on the ground this season.

The forecast for Brookings on Saturday looks to be relatively pleasant for late November with a high of around 40 degrees, moderate wind, and no precip in the forecast all week.

What are your thoughts on the game? Who will be moving on to face top seeded NDSU in Fargo next weekend?

Professor Chaos
November 19th, 2012, 09:56 AM
Personally, I think SDSU's defense asserts itself in this game and stifles the EIU passing attack. SDSU 24, EIU 13.

asucrutch23
November 19th, 2012, 10:01 AM
Let's go Jacks! I'd like to get a chance to watch the rematch of NDSU-SDSU the next week. That brings up a question: Would the Dakota Marker change hands if SDSU were able to win that game as well? Or would the Bison keep it since they won the regular season matchup?

Professor Chaos
November 19th, 2012, 10:07 AM
Let's go Jacks! I'd like to get a chance to watch the rematch of NDSU-SDSU the next week. That brings up a question: Would the Dakota Marker change hands if SDSU were able to win that game as well? Or would the Bison keep it since they won the regular season matchup?
I'm sure the Bison would hold onto it regardless. However, if the Jacks would happen to win that matchup I'm sure NDSU would gladly trade them the marker for the right to move on instead :D

MTfan4life
November 19th, 2012, 10:20 AM
Has South Dakota State faced a pass dominant team this year, though? Yes, they're numbers are high, but most of the Valley is run-first and SDSU didn't face Illinois State. Eastern Illinois sucks sucks sucks on passing defense, but they are pretty solid against the run. They proved that in what turned out to be the conference championship game against Eastern Kentucky. EKU had one of the best running backs in the FCS in Matt Denham and EIU shut him down. I still think SDSU has the slight advantage, but EIU is a lot like Montana this season. Immensely horrible pass defense, but pretty solid run defense.

PantherRob82
November 19th, 2012, 10:24 AM
I don't think EIU has a chance.

Professor Chaos
November 19th, 2012, 10:41 AM
Has South Dakota State faced a pass dominant team this year, though? Yes, they're numbers are high, but most of the Valley is run-first and SDSU didn't face Illinois State. Eastern Illinois sucks sucks sucks on passing defense, but they are pretty solid against the run. They proved that in what turned out to be the conference championship game against Eastern Kentucky. EKU had one of the best running backs in the FCS in Matt Denham and EIU shut him down. I still think SDSU has the slight advantage, but EIU is a lot like Montana this season. Immensely horrible pass defense, but pretty solid run defense.
UNI (28th), NDSU (30th), and YSU (31st) are all rated pretty highly nationally in pass efficiency. Granted SDSU lost to two of those teams but it definitely wasn't the passing game that NDSU beat them with.

Good point on EIU's rush defense. I just saw they were ranked 50th nationally so I didn't think much of their chances to slow down Zenner. SDSU's QB Sumner is quite good but he's been very inconsistent and turnover prone this year.

mmiller_34
November 19th, 2012, 10:58 AM
SDSU's QB Sumner is quite good but he's been very inconsistent and turnover prone this year.

You're right. He has been. However, the past four games he has thrown for 1070 yards, 9 TDs, 1 INT. Now I'll knock on wood.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 19th, 2012, 11:00 AM
My prescription for this game is a hard fought, long game with at least 4 or 5 overtimes. Get really tired, boys.

MTfan4life
November 19th, 2012, 11:02 AM
UNI (28th), NDSU (30th), and YSU (31st) are all rated pretty highly nationally in pass efficiency. Granted SDSU lost to two of those teams but it definitely wasn't the passing game that NDSU beat them with.

Good point on EIU's rush defense. I just saw they were ranked 50th nationally so I didn't think much of their chances to slow down Zenner. SDSU's QB Sumner is quite good but he's been very inconsistent and turnover prone this year.

I'm talking about a team that likes to pass the ball though. Those teams aren't pass oriented teams. Teams that have success running the ball usually have a high passing efficiency. That doesn't mean they have a high quality passing game. They just are able to take advantage when defenses start keying on the run. Only 2 of SDSU's 11 opponents finished the season averaging more than 200 passing yards per game. That's mainly what i was alluding too. Sure they've faced efficient teams, but Stony Brook is an efficient passing team, it doesn't mean they pass the ball a lot.

Professor Chaos
November 19th, 2012, 11:07 AM
I'm talking about a team that likes to pass the ball though. Those teams aren't pass oriented teams. Teams that have success running the ball usually have a high passing efficiency. That doesn't mean they have a high quality passing game. They just are able to take advantage when defenses start keying on the run. Only 2 of SDSU's 11 opponents finished the season averaging more than 200 passing yards per game. That's mainly what i was alluding too. Sure they've faced efficient teams, but Stony Brook is an efficient passing team, it doesn't mean they pass the ball a lot.
I was referring to SDSU's defensive passing efficiency matching up well with EIU, not necessarily about limiting the yards allowed. SDSU is actually ranked lower in passing defense (26th) than they are in defensive passing efficieny (4th). So your point about teams that are primarily running teams having a higher pass efficiency makes SDSU's defensive pass efficiency even more impressive in a conference like the MVFC. I'm sure EIU will get their yards through the air but I think SDSU's defense will make them earn it through volume passing and they've got a good chance at picking off a pass or two.

mmiller_34
November 19th, 2012, 11:09 AM
they've got a good chance at picking off a pass or two.

Its quite simple. They NEED to do this to win, if they don't I'm afraid the Jacks will lose.

robsnotes4u
November 19th, 2012, 11:10 AM
The only thing that keeps SDSU from moving on is thinking ahead to a rematch with NDSU. Will the EIU QB be able to handle the pressure, and can the EIU line handle 4 quarters of getting pushed around by the SDSU defensive line.

Laker
November 19th, 2012, 12:05 PM
I'm picking SDSU to win this game. Home field, home crowd should make a difference.

BEAR
November 19th, 2012, 12:08 PM
After what I saw Saturday...SDSU. xcoffeex

Kemo
November 19th, 2012, 01:09 PM
If the Jacks can pressure the EIU QB with just their front 4 (which they've been able to do for most of the year), I think they win this game going away. Linebackers and secondary have tackled well all year with the exception of the UNI game and don't give up a lot of YAC.

Also, a couple early 3 and outs for EIU and they Jacks could really be in the driver's seat. SDSU's has a huge offensive line with a lot of depth due to starters being hurt at the beginning of the year, while EIU is an uptempo team that won't be giving their defense much of a rest if they don't sustain drives.

I am optimist about SDSU winning this one, but I've seen our worst as well, so the result of this game is far from a foregone conclusion.

89rabbit
November 19th, 2012, 01:11 PM
You're right. He has been. However, the past four games he has thrown for 1070 yards, 9 TDs, 1 INT. Now I'll knock on wood.

Also, don't forget he started the year with a thumb injury on his throwing hand (not for you 34, I know you know). He has looked very good the past 4 games with our ability to throw the ball overshadowing our run game. I like our chances. xnodx

Buzzcut
November 19th, 2012, 01:25 PM
Being familiar with EIU, as well as the OVC in general, I can tell you that the Panthers (as well as the other "top tier" OVC teams), don't show up when they need to deliver. This is why the OVC hasn't won a playoff game in over a decade, and I don't anticipate this year to be any different. Should be a bloodbath.

Hammerhead
November 19th, 2012, 01:38 PM
The forecast shows light winds (for that part of the country) so that shouldn't be a factor in the passing game.

Panthers_Blue
November 19th, 2012, 01:43 PM
Being familiar with EIU, as well as the OVC in general, I can tell you that the Panthers (as well as the other "top tier" OVC teams), don't show up when they need to deliver. This is why the OVC hasn't won a playoff game in over a decade, and I don't anticipate this year to be any different. Should be a bloodbath.

With new coach Babers at the helm this year for EIU, I don't buy into the not showing up bit. I will agree that the Panther's D is suspect, but the offense is something totally different than in years past.

Kemo
November 19th, 2012, 01:57 PM
Also, "track teams" (aka: uptempo, pass heavy teams) generally don't perform well at Coughlin-Alumni Stadium. Apparently grass is the equivalent of kryptonite to them.

Cue MLPSbison in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1...

Panthers_Blue
November 19th, 2012, 02:11 PM
Also, "track teams" (aka: uptempo, pass heavy teams) generally don't perform well at Coughlin-Alumni Stadium. Apparently grass is the equivalent of kryptonite to them.

I guess it's a good thing that EIU practices on natural grass then.

moosbah
November 19th, 2012, 02:21 PM

What kind of condition is the turf on the Jacks field at this point this year?

I know in years past it's been pretty rough.

89rabbit
November 19th, 2012, 03:21 PM
What kind of condition is the turf on the Jacks field at this point this year?

I know in years past it's been pretty rough.

You can see for yourself, here is highlights from Saturday's game.

http://www.argusleader.com/videonetwork/1975791135001?odyssey=mod|tvideo|article

FargoBison
November 19th, 2012, 03:26 PM
This game is interesting, SDSU hasn't seen a team like EIU and I don't think EIU has seen a team quite like SDSU either. Should be fun to watch the contrast of styles in this game, high flying passing attack vs a smashmouth rushing attack.

Kemo
November 19th, 2012, 04:19 PM
My guess is that almost every team that comes to Brookings practices on natural grass the week of the game, yet every time they leave it always seems like they are bitching about the field conditions. Well, maybe not always the team, but the visiting fans.

89rabbit
November 19th, 2012, 04:23 PM
My guess is that almost every team that comes to Brookings practices on natural grass the week of the game, yet every time they leave it always seems like they are bitching about the field conditions. Well, maybe not always the team, but the visiting fans.

Or maybe just North Dakotans. ;) xlolx

Professor Chaos
November 19th, 2012, 04:24 PM
Or maybe just North Dakotans. ;) xlolx
We bitch more about the tailgating area conditions :D

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 19th, 2012, 04:42 PM
SDSU will pound EIU into the ground with Zenner....more Zenner and play action pass.

SDSU's defense is better than anything EIU has faced this year.

SDSU 35-13

EKU Toss Sweep
November 19th, 2012, 04:47 PM
With new coach Babers at the helm this year for EIU, I don't buy into the not showing up bit. I will agree that the Panther's D is suspect, but the offense is something totally different than in years past.

For a team with a suspect D, you brought one hell of a defense to Roy Kidd Stadium when you played EKU a few weeks ago. We ran the ball pretty effectively on everybody we played this year with the exception of EIU. I've seen a lot of EKU football over the years and that game ranks with the worst home defeats I've seen put on the Colonels. I hadn't seen that kind of defense out of EIU earlier in the year. Dig it up again and take it with you to South Dakota.

Go Panthers!

md64179
November 19th, 2012, 04:57 PM
I got to go with SDSU in this one

Twentysix
November 19th, 2012, 05:03 PM
38-14 SDSU

Buzzcut
November 19th, 2012, 06:19 PM

Yup, I've seen and heard this all before. I remember EKU in 2008 - they dominated conference play all season, but had to go on the road to Richmond, where they were promptly rolled 38-10. If I recall that same year, EIU went to SIU was beaten 30-11. The OVC just doesn't fair well on the road playing OOC competition. I don't see this year being any different.

darell1976
November 19th, 2012, 06:57 PM
As long as SDSU doesn't overlook this game and has NDSU on their mind I see them winning. SDSU 28 EIU 14.

swaghook
November 19th, 2012, 08:19 PM
I've got SDSU winning but this is one that could bring an upset early in the play offs.

68ndsuBISONfan
November 19th, 2012, 08:38 PM
Either team that comes into Fargo the first weekend of December will have its hands full dealing with the defending national champions, and the 12th man. The crowd at the Fargo dome. But, I do believe that NDSU got the shaft by the selection committee, when they may have to play SDSU in the first game of the playoffs. The overall number one seed, should have a relatively easy go of it, until the semi final game. When you toss a game at them like that, potentially playing another MVFC team, for a second round game, not cool at all. Shame on you. Selection Committee. Two thumbs down on that bone head move.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 19th, 2012, 08:42 PM
Either team that comes into Fargo the first weekend of December will have its hands full dealing with the defending national champions, and the 12th man. The crowd at the Fargo dome. But, I do believe that NDSU got the shaft by the selection committee, when they may have to play SDSU in the first game of the playoffs. The overall number one seed, should have a relatively easy go of it, until the semi final game. When you toss a game at them like that, potentially playing another MVFC team, for a second round game, not cool at all. Shame on you. Selection Committee. Two thumbs down on that bone head move.

Play the hand we were dealt.

Bison get 2 weeks off to rest, which is needed.

Ya, they got the shaft but what can we do? Our MV commish is pretty much worthless. I think the YSU AD was on the committee; he must not have had much 'pull'.

Who cares.....I like NDSU's chances against anyone in the FD.

sgt smash
November 19th, 2012, 08:47 PM
SDSU 77 EIU-4

NoDak 4 Ever
November 19th, 2012, 08:49 PM
Play the hand we were dealt.

Bison get 2 weeks off to rest, which is needed.

Ya, they got the shaft but what can we do? Our MV commish is pretty much worthless. I think the YSU AD was on the committee; he must not have had much 'pull'.

Who cares.....I like NDSU's chances against anyone in the FD.

This. Some think playing a second time favors the Jacks, I disagree, especially at playoff time.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

tourguide
November 19th, 2012, 08:50 PM
You can see for yourself, here is highlights from Saturday's game.

http://www.argusleader.com/videonetwork/1975791135001?odyssey=mod|tvideo|article

Holy flip phone highlights batman. I got motion sickness watching that.

mmiller_34
November 19th, 2012, 09:00 PM
SDSU 77 EIU-4

All this hype about SDSU winning by a large amount is scaring me. I expect SDSU to play well, but I can't knock on wood for everyone.

steelr7
November 19th, 2012, 09:06 PM
I'll take a MVFC defense against almost anyone. SDSU should win as long as they aren't looking forward to the possible rematch with the Bison. But who knows...any given Saturday right?

Panthers_Blue
November 19th, 2012, 09:12 PM
I wish SDSU would have played IL State, so we could have another look at a common foe besides SIU.

Panthers_Blue
November 19th, 2012, 09:14 PM
I would have also liked an IL State/EIU rematch in the first round...........

Would have loved another crack at them.

sgt smash
November 19th, 2012, 09:37 PM

All this hype about SDSU winning by a large amount is scaring me. I expect SDSU to play well, but I can't knock on wood for everyone.

All I did was beat Nodak4ever to the punch.

robsnotes4u
November 19th, 2012, 09:40 PM
It's the stupid 400 mile rule they try to adhere to in the playoffs, and SDSU was one of the last in. In their minds they are giving you an easy game

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sycamore62
November 19th, 2012, 09:53 PM
It's the stupid 400 mile rule they try to adhere to in the playoffs, and SDSU was one of the last in. In their minds they are giving you an easy game

I agree. If they say SDSU was the last team chosen, then this is the easy road by the seeding.

I watched the EIU/SIU game and wasn't impressed by either and I watched SDSU/InSU and I thought that we (ISUb) had a real shot to get momentum then Zener had the 80-90 yd run that led to a TD that really hurt.

I'd have to say my bias toward the MVFC outweighs my bias toward the school in the town in which I live. But I think SDSU will have to play a solid 4 qtrs because I've counted EIU out a couple times and they came back and won.

ITmonarch10
November 19th, 2012, 09:58 PM
I have SDSU destroying Eastern Illinois simply due to the recent playoff performances of the OVC. I think SDSU will win 38-20. With that said, I just realized there is only one true passing attack team in the entire MVFC, Illinois St. SDSU never played Illinois St. in conference play.

Just some quick MVFC stats

PASSING OFFENSE

Rank Team
Gm
Att
Cmp
Int
PPct
Yds
YdAtt
TD
YdsGm
YdsCmp

1. Illinois St.

2. UNI

3. Missouri St.

4. North Dakota St.

5. Youngstown St.

The only other decent passing attack you faced was UNI in your only other loss. We are going to find out if passing the ball against SDSU is a weakness or a strength.

Uni Stats vs SDSU
NET YARDS PASSING............. 187
Completions-Attempts-Int.... 13-21-0
Average Per Attempt......... 8.9
Average Per Completion...... 14.4
Passing Touchdowns.......... 2

FargoBison
November 19th, 2012, 10:03 PM
I think SDSU has their hands full here, people keep saying EIU hasn't seen a defense like SDSU but they did play two teams with very good defenses in ISUR and SIU and they shredded both. That said playing those teams in September vs playing SDSU at CAS in late November are two very different circumstances.

Like I've said before this game is very interesting to me. I wish SDSU had played ISUR so I would have a better idea as to how they'd handle a more prolific passing attack. They did play UNI but ISUR has a much more polished passing attack.

Panthers_Blue
November 20th, 2012, 07:01 AM
I think SDSU has their hands full here, people keep saying EIU hasn't seen a defense like SDSU but they did play two teams with very good defenses in ISUR and SIU and they shredded both. That said playing those teams in September vs playing SDSU at CAS in late November are two very different circumstances.

Like I've said before this game is very interesting to me. I wish SDSU had played ISUR so I would have a better idea as to how they'd handle a more prolific passing attack. They did play UNI but ISUR has a much more polished passing attack.

Agree

Panthers_Blue
November 20th, 2012, 07:05 AM
EIU put up 522 yds of offense against SIU and 509 yds of offense against ISUR

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 20th, 2012, 07:22 AM

Good luck in Brookings in late November. You played SIU and Ill State at the beginning of the year.

You will not put up those #s against SDSU's defense. In fact, it probably will not be over 300 yds.

SDSU wins by 2 TDs.

frozennorth
November 20th, 2012, 07:32 AM
20-17 sdsu

89rabbit
November 20th, 2012, 07:38 AM
Holy flip phone highlights batman. I got motion sickness watching that.

These highlights are better, and as everyone can see the grass looks just fine.

http://www.gojacks.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?catid=12010&id=1099522

WestSideRabbit
November 20th, 2012, 08:17 AM
I agree with the thought that SDSU should take this game. I am worried about their passing attack, if it is as good as everyone is saying. USD moved the ball fairly effectively on us for 2 1/2 quarters through the air. They just couldn't finish their drives. UNI threw the ball over all over us, but we left blaming it on "shoegate." YSU had a ton of success throwing the ball on us in the 2nd half of our Hobo Day game, but they were playing from behind and SDSU rested starters for most of the 4th. I have seen us play really good pass defense at times, but I have also seen us play poorly in our pass defense. I don't know much about the EIU defense, but I feel our passing attack is getting hot at the right time. Sumner is heating up and our running game had a good game last week.

With that said, I am picking SDSU 31-24. Hopefully they are not looking ahead to looming matchup against the Bizon. Saturday can not get here soon enough!

Panthers_Blue
November 21st, 2012, 07:44 AM
So lets get some final predictions on this game.....

EIU-35 SDSU-24

Lora keeps raising the record

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 21st, 2012, 07:49 AM
Prediction:

SDSU 35-13

FargoBison
November 21st, 2012, 02:32 PM
SDSU 31
EIU 28

SDSU is the favorite but EIU certainly has more of chance than most are giving them.

MarkyMark
November 21st, 2012, 02:45 PM
SDSU 28
EIU 10

Forecast down to 36 for a high on Sat. in Brookings.

aces1180
November 21st, 2012, 02:48 PM
In all honesty, considering the lack of recent (or any) playoff experience between these two squads and from what I have read (I only watched SDSU against the Bison), I think its a toss-up at a neutral site. However, being that the game is being played at CAS in late November, I believe SDSU gets at least a TD advantage on paper.

With that, however, I am going to pick the upset.

EIU - 24
SDSU - 16

Gil Dobie
November 21st, 2012, 02:51 PM
33-32 pick'em game.

89rabbit
November 21st, 2012, 04:17 PM
Fun little video about the game.

http://www.gojacks.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?id=1102440

Go Jackrabbits! :)

caribbeanhen
November 21st, 2012, 05:15 PM
my first thought was SDSU wins, but than I took a look at there schedule and it looked like Clarke Kent, now I am going with E Illinois in a mild upset

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 21st, 2012, 05:46 PM
my first thought was SDSU wins, but than I took a look at there schedule and it looked like Clarke Kent, now I am going with E Illinois in a mild upset

Clark Kent?

SDSU lost to Kansas, NDSU and UNI.....

Their defense is in the top 10 nationally.

Sycamore62
November 21st, 2012, 07:16 PM
The more I think about this game, the more i think that no team winning by any score would surprise me aside from 10-7 by either team

swaghook
November 21st, 2012, 07:38 PM
This game is the one that I think could ruin my bracket predictions early.

Houndawg
November 22nd, 2012, 05:27 AM

SIU was a whole different defense in week 1 than in week 10. Ask Zenner.

caribbeanhen
November 22nd, 2012, 05:37 AM
Clark Kent?

SDSU lost to Kansas, NDSU and UNI.....

Their defense is in the top 10 nationally.

lost to UNIxlolx, Does SDSU have a quality win over a team that made the playoffs? I admit I could be sorry for picking E ILLI but upsets happen.

Houndawg
November 22nd, 2012, 05:40 AM

SIU was a whole different defense in week 1 with no film of EIU.

ILS put up 533 yds and 54 points against EIU while they managed only 257 yds against SIU, were picked off 4 times, and shut out.

SDSU runs for 100 yds and they win. From what I saw, Zenner is overrated, but EIU is the kind of team he can have a big day on.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 22nd, 2012, 06:28 AM
lost to UNIxlolx, Does SDSU have a quality win over a team that made the playoffs? I admit I could be sorry for picking E ILLI but upsets happen.

Not many teams are perfect throughout the whole year. They stumbled against UNI. They didn't play Ill State this year in the MV rotating schedule.

Come playoff time, I'll take the team with a very good defense and strong running game....esp in Brookings, SD in late Nov.

caribbeanhen
November 22nd, 2012, 06:52 AM
Not many teams are perfect throughout the whole year. They stumbled against UNI. They didn't play Ill State this year in the MV rotating schedule.

Come playoff time, I'll take the team with a very good defense and strong running game....esp in Brookings, SD in late Nov.

hard to argue with that logic, but you did use the word stumbled.....

Lehigh Football Nation
November 22nd, 2012, 11:50 PM
FCS Playoffs Game Central: Eastern Illinois at South Dakota State:

http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/ncaa-division-i-sports/fcs-football/614-fcs-playoffs-game-central-eastern-illinois-at-south-dakota-state

All the information on the game, including links to rosters, notes, previews, everything. Will also be adding links to press previews of the games as well as time warrants.

gotts
November 23rd, 2012, 01:50 AM
SDSU by 17.

Jacked_Rabbit
November 23rd, 2012, 07:35 AM
Forecast for kickoff is mid-30's (high of 39) with 25-30 mph winds (steady 15-20 mph). Perfect weather for Jackrabbit football. If you think this sounds *****ty, you've never been to Brookings, SD!

robsnotes4u
November 23rd, 2012, 08:55 AM
Forecast for kickoff is mid-30's (high of 39) with 25-30 mph winds (steady 15-20 mph). Perfect weather for Jackrabbit football. If you think this sounds *****ty, you've never been to Brookings, SD!

60 on Wednesday in Fargo, cold and snowy on Thursday, did you get the same? That forecast is helpful for the jacks. We can haul some snow from Fargo to help make it the frozen tundra

Laker
November 23rd, 2012, 09:32 AM
50 MPH winds in Olivia yesterday- 20 miles west of me. Minus 1 windchill earlier this morning. It is still windy but not as bad as yesterday. Good day to sit inside and watch the MN Prep Bowl- those boys are lucky they can play in the MetroDome this year- next year will be outside.

Professor Chaos
November 23rd, 2012, 10:02 AM
That's pretty windy, even for here in the Red River Valley where it's always windy. That will likely be more disruptive to the EIU passing game than snow or cold would be without the wind.

2002jack
November 23rd, 2012, 10:07 AM
Cold and windy seems ideal, plus the Rabbits defense has played really well in Brookings. I don't see EIU scoring over 17. My prediction Jacks 24: EIU 17

Bison06
November 23rd, 2012, 10:27 AM
I agree. Ideal conditions for the Jacks would be cold, windy and snowing. If it is windy I see SDSU winning by at least 3 scores.

caribbeanhen
November 23rd, 2012, 11:43 AM
man you guys are making this to hard... your right, i am going back with SDSU

Sycamore62
November 23rd, 2012, 01:11 PM
I dont think the wind will affect the outcome. the tempature might, i dont think there have been many games played in those temps down here.

on a side note, I was told when ISUb played in Brookings last year, they had a cattle show/auction on the field at halftime. i havent been able to figure out if that was a joke or for real?

FargoBison
November 23rd, 2012, 01:15 PM
I dont think the wind will affect the outcome. the tempature might, i dont think there have been many games played in those temps down here.

on a side note, I was told when ISUb played in Brookings last year, they had a cattle show/auction on the field at halftime. i havent been able to figure out if that was a joke or for real?

It is real but SDSU is an Ag school. I think they auction off a pig at one of their basketball games.

McNeese72
November 23rd, 2012, 01:51 PM
EIU lost to one of those "weak" Southland Conference teams last game. Surely, that means SDSU can handle them.

Doc

D-town
November 23rd, 2012, 03:41 PM

From what I am hearing, not a lot of tickets sold yet. I hope there is a "HUGE!!!" walk up crowd for Saturday. Otherwise there maybe less than 5,000 for the game on Saturday. xthumbsdownx

Professor Chaos
November 23rd, 2012, 06:02 PM
From what I am hearing, not a lot of tickets sold yet. I hope there is a "HUGE!!!" walk up crowd for Saturday. Otherwise there maybe less than 5,000 for the game on Saturday. xthumbsdownx
I had a bad feeling something like this would happen. SDSU is coming off two consecutive weeks of big rivalry games and some fans are probably looking ahead to a possible rematch in one of those rivalry games next week. The Saturday after Thanksgiving is traditionally a horrible weekend for attendance but extenuating circumstances for the Jacks look to me making it even worse.

BEAR
November 23rd, 2012, 06:44 PM
EIU lost to one of those "weak" Southland Conference teams last game. Surely, that means SDSU can handle them.

Doc

xlolx Yeah. We tried to lose that game by turning it over 3 times in the first half. Couldn't duplicate it in the second half though. Weak. xlolx We'll try next time. SDSU big.

Evolution Prime
November 23rd, 2012, 07:13 PM
If didn't live five hours away AND have to work at 6:30 that night, I would definitely make the trip. Worth the trip for the first playoff game at CAS.

stevdock
November 23rd, 2012, 07:36 PM
Could SDSU's run be similar to NDSU's of 2010 and 2011?? They are built very similarly so I see no reason why not. I'm just hoping for one game short for both of the next two years as long as they lose to the right team :)

89rabbit
November 24th, 2012, 07:50 AM
Preview story from the Sioux Falls Argus Leader:

http://www.argusleader.com/article/20121124/SPORTS0202/311240015/Stakes-high-home?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Sports

Stakes high at home
Playoff push begins for the first time at Coughlin-Alumni

Written by
Terry Vandrovec

South Dakota State just might max out on new today, facing a first-time foe that features a cutting-edge offense in the first home postseason game in program history.

The contest stands out against the 1,022 SDSU games played before today as different, unique, special – something the No. 19 Jackrabbits (8-3) have claimed to be since fall camp.

This is their chance to prove it, by taking down No. 25 Eastern Illinois (7-4) and moving on to the second round of the Football Championship Subdivision playoffs – more uncharted territory.

They’ll need to be able to handle the unknown. . . . (read more)

Drblankstare
November 24th, 2012, 09:01 AM
Should be a good game, but I think the Jacks D will be good enough to hold down EIU's high powered offense. I'm sure the cold will help also.

goyotes
November 24th, 2012, 09:48 AM
It is real but SDSU is an Ag school. I think they auction off a pig at one of their basketball games.

Here is the picture: (some see a pig - others see the Hobo Day Queen - I kid)

stevdock
November 24th, 2012, 10:26 AM
I just wish I could watch the game. Some days I really hate ESPN.

swaghook
November 24th, 2012, 10:28 AM
Go to Gastropup they will have the game.

Sycamore62
November 24th, 2012, 11:43 AM
Does anyone have any idea how much SDSU's bid was for the game?

BisonFan02
November 24th, 2012, 12:10 PM
Watching the Colgate/Wagner game....why can't NDSU play the winner of that game again? :D

Sycamore62
November 24th, 2012, 01:40 PM
Well, according to weather.com it's 5degrees warmer in Brookings an Charleston and the wind is 13mph faster in SD

Pards Rule
November 24th, 2012, 01:41 PM
Watching the Colgate/Wagner game....why can't NDSU play the winner of that game again? :D

Looks like Wagner - winning 31-14 with 9 mins left in game

aces1180
November 24th, 2012, 01:55 PM
Does anyone have any idea how much SDSU's bid was for the game?

Their AD won't release that information...NDSU's beat writer ripped him a bit on Twitter and said it should be public knowledge.

344Johnson
November 24th, 2012, 02:04 PM
LOL @ SDSU attendence.

BisonFan02
November 24th, 2012, 02:06 PM
Wow....there is nobody there.

BisonBohl
November 24th, 2012, 02:09 PM
Lets go Jackrabbits!

Sycamore62
November 24th, 2012, 02:09 PM
Their AD won't release that information...NDSU's beat writer ripped him a bit on Twitter and said it should be public knowledge.

Isn't that a foia issue?

344Johnson
November 24th, 2012, 02:10 PM
I have an idea. Lets give the ball to Zenner every time.

jacksfan29
November 24th, 2012, 02:10 PM
The attendance is sad. The excuse I'm hearing from locals is Thanksgiving weekend, no students and people traveling. Personally I don't see it. If this were a BB game at Frost the place would be packed.

Although, I do seem to recall NDSU having an issue with a Thanksgiving weekend home playoff game when the Dome wasn't even close to full. But you are right, the attendance is sad.

LOL @ SDSU attendence.

No_Skill
November 24th, 2012, 02:12 PM
The attendance is sad. The excuse I'm hearing from locals is Thanksgiving weekend, no students and people traveling. Personally I don't see it. If this were a BB game at Frost the place would be packed.

Although, I do seem to recall NDSU having an issue with a Thanksgiving weekend home playoff game when the Dome wasn't even close to full. But you are right, the attendance is sad.

We had around 13k for that game.

jacksfan29
November 24th, 2012, 02:14 PM
13K NDSU would probably equate to 6K for SDSU if you look at average attendance. Think about it. We avg 13.5k per game, you right at 20K.

clenz
November 24th, 2012, 02:14 PM
Why should it be?

It's an amount paid to a private organization...no need to disclose it publicly.

Twentysix
November 24th, 2012, 02:16 PM
Why should it be?

It's an amount paid to a private organization...no need to disclose it publicly.

They are a public institution therefore everything they do is public via the Freedom of information act.

Sycamore62
November 24th, 2012, 02:17 PM
Why should it be?

I'm not gonna pretend to know the specifics of the act but its some sort of a correspondence from a public entity to the NCAA. Correct?

Sycamore62
November 24th, 2012, 02:20 PM
Just FYI. I think EIU was around $30k. So was Indiana State's.

EIU would have had 6k-7k at best. Theoretically ISUb would have too

344Johnson
November 24th, 2012, 02:22 PM
these offenses look horrid. makes me feel good.

aces1180
November 24th, 2012, 02:24 PM
They are a public institution therefore everything they do is public via the Freedom of information act.

This was Kolpack's reasoning as well.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 24th, 2012, 02:25 PM
Score?

aces1180
November 24th, 2012, 02:25 PM
Score?

0-0 mid 1st Q

NoDak 4 Ever
November 24th, 2012, 02:26 PM
Whew. Dozens in attendance there

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

No_Skill
November 24th, 2012, 02:29 PM
Whew. Dozens in attendance there

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

The main stands look better than the visiting stands.

Ginsbach
November 24th, 2012, 02:34 PM
68 yard TD rush for Zenner.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 24th, 2012, 02:46 PM
Whoever's directing this is terrible. They keep missing the snap

No_Skill
November 24th, 2012, 02:51 PM
EIU with a nice scoring drive.

SDSU 10 - EIU 3

jacksfan29
November 24th, 2012, 03:02 PM
SDSU scores, 17 - 3 with 11 minutes left in the 2nd. Zenner with close to 180 on the ground already

BisonFan02
November 24th, 2012, 03:04 PM
Great showing OVC...early congrats to SDSU. Best team in the first round will be rewarded with a trip to Fargo it looks like.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 24th, 2012, 03:08 PM
Great showing OVC...early congrats to SDSU. Best team in the first round will be rewarded with a trip to Fargo it looks like.

That is why EIU left the Gateway/Missouri Valley.....couldn't win games...

No_Skill
November 24th, 2012, 03:12 PM
Wheels coming off for eiu. They look terrible

ursus arctos horribilis
November 24th, 2012, 03:16 PM
Wheels coming off for eiu. They look terrible

yeah, they need to get composed or it's gonna get real ugly real quick.

FargoBison
November 24th, 2012, 03:17 PM
At least the committee had the sense to limit the OVC to just one team in the playoffs.

Bison56
November 24th, 2012, 03:17 PM
Its getting ugly fast.

goyotes
November 24th, 2012, 03:20 PM
SDSU with a big lead in a playoff game. What could go wrong?

BisonFan02
November 24th, 2012, 03:20 PM
Looks like the crowd noise is getting to EIU.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 24th, 2012, 03:21 PM
Another great effort by the OV Conference.......

Bozemaniac

Marc Mariani. Fortunately he has a broken leg, so we should be alright.

BisonFan02

EIU isn't Montana.

BisonBohl
November 24th, 2012, 03:23 PM
EIU isn't Montana.

Your right they made the playoffs and Montana didnt...

BisonFan02
November 24th, 2012, 03:24 PM
Your right they made the playoffs and Montana didnt...

They probably would have if they played in the OVC, but that isn't the point. It was a comparison to the last time SDSU was in the postseason losing the lead versus this year.

No_Skill
November 24th, 2012, 03:24 PM
yeah, they need to get composed or it's gonna get real ugly real quick.

They are simply outmatched.

BisonBohl
November 24th, 2012, 03:25 PM
They probably would have if they played in the OVC, but that isn't the point. It was a comparison to the last time SDSU was in the postseason losing the lead versus this year.

I know, just cant resist taking a shot at the Grizz. They were a fine program then and will come back strong eventually.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 24th, 2012, 03:31 PM
I know, just cant resist taking a shot at the Grizz. They were a fine program then and will come back strong eventually.
Yeah that trait amongst some Bison fans is sort of odd since most all the Griz fans I know pay a good deal of respect to SDSU, NDSU, etc. exdept for the few guys like JBB, Lakes, or MPLS.

But, you know, however you roll is how you roll so go for it man.

Twentysix
November 24th, 2012, 03:34 PM
punt block to the 2 or 3 yd line with 9 seconds to go. Penalty on the jacks.

No_Skill
November 24th, 2012, 03:35 PM
This game should fully illustrate the fact that SDSU should not be playing in the first round.

BisonBohl
November 24th, 2012, 03:35 PM
Yeah that trait amongst some Bison fans is sort of odd since most all the Griz fans I know pay a good deal of respect to SDSU, NDSU, etc. exdept for the few guys like JBB, Lakes, or MPLS.

But, you know, however you roll is how you roll so go for it man.

Good Afternoon Ursus, watching any of the games?

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 24th, 2012, 03:36 PM
This game should fully illustrate the fact that SDSU should not be playing in the first round.

Agee 100%

SDSU could beat most if not all of the teams in the playoffs....

BisonBohl
November 24th, 2012, 03:36 PM
Jacks looking damn good, going to be a hell of game next Saturday!

THE HERD
November 24th, 2012, 03:37 PM
Eiu's oline and dline are getting absolutely bitch slapped! If this is the best the OVC has to offer its laughable! The panthers QB looks like a player, but he can't do anything due to his oline of butter. Lol

FargoBison
34-3 Rabbits.

jacksfan29
But they were the last team in? The CAA committee chair said so.

NDSU and SDSU got screwed over.

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 24th, 2012, 03:38 PM
34-3 Rabbits.

WTF....OVC is a joke....

Twentysix
TD SDSU with the clock reading 0:00 34-3 at the half.... SDSU should not be playing this weekend and should not be facing NDSU next week... They got screwed.

Pards Rule
But they were the last team in? The CAA committee chair said so.

Bus trip to Fargo!

THE HERD
Jacks looking damn good, going to be a hell of game next Saturday!

A lot of teams would look good against EIU.

Twentysix
November 24th, 2012, 03:41 PM

Agree, SDSU is going to get pounded a lot worse than the regular season game. They probably could win the other bracket, sucks they have to come to Fargo next week.

Pards Rule
Farthest I have been into SD was Sisseton - a side trip to "visit" another state (trying to hit 50 or 51 if PR is admitted) during my Fargo visit in Sept 2011.

GATA
Well...NDSU should probably be worried. It's nice to be rewarded for being the #1 seed by facing off against a hated rival who is really good.

The equivalent would be GSU getting the "reward" of facing App State/Wofford in the 2nd round.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 24th, 2012, 03:42 PM
Good Afternoon Ursus, watching any of the games?

Got a tab open for every one of them.

THE HERD
November 24th, 2012, 03:42 PM
Digging the Jacks uni's.....blue pants are better than the banana pants.

Jacked_Rabbit
November 24th, 2012, 03:45 PM

Is that the same EIU team that many picked to be SDSU? Thought so...

Not over til its over (see Montana in 2009) but I CAN'T WAIT to get another crack at the Bison!!

Jacked_Rabbit
November 24th, 2012, 03:46 PM
Agree, SDSU is going to get pounded a lot worse than the regular season game. They probably could win the other bracket, sucks they have to come to Fargo next week.

I'm saving this comment for later, just in case... haha

Twentysix
November 24th, 2012, 03:47 PM

Not over til its over (see Montana in 2009) but I CAN'T WAIT to get another crack at the Bison!!

??? I had SDSU winning with 38-14. I think pretty much every bison fan had SDSU as a lock to win this game.

semobison
November 24th, 2012, 03:48 PM

EIU took Illinois State into overtime! The Jacks are not as good as they look today and the Panthers are not that bad! Sometimes things snowball on a football field. Im just glad we dont have to play in Brookings!

ursus arctos horribilis
November 24th, 2012, 03:49 PM
??? I had SDSU winning with 38-14. I think pretty much every bison fan had SDSU as a lock to win this game.

I'd have to check with MTfan but I don't think very many, anywhere, picked against SDSU in this one. Jacked is looking at something I didn't see I think.

THE HERD
November 24th, 2012, 03:49 PM
Well thanks for tiring them out for us Panthers!.......Not! This is nothing more than a glorified scrimmage for the Jacks! Lol

Ginsbach
November 24th, 2012, 03:50 PM
Even if SDSU doesn't score at all in the second half, this would be their second highest scoring game all season (they put up 41 against Youngstown for their highest output of the season). SDSU deserved a better first round matchup.

THE HERD
November 24th, 2012, 03:51 PM

Who the hell picked EIU?! I didnt see one unless they were an EIU fan.

Twentysix
November 24th, 2012, 03:51 PM
I'm saving this comment for later, just in case... haha

Please do ;)

FargoBison
November 24th, 2012, 03:54 PM
I thought EIU had the potential to make it interesting but I always said SDSU was the clear favorite.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 24th, 2012, 03:59 PM
Even if SDSU doesn't score at all in the second half, this would be their second highest scoring game all season (they put up 41 against Youngstown for their highest output of the season). SDSU deserved a better first round matchup.

What? You get in the playoffs in spite of not winning your conference and don't have a seed then you play and beat whoever is front of you. There is no "deserving" anything.

BisonFan02
November 24th, 2012, 04:01 PM
False start EIU...must have been the crowd noise again. :D

Ginsbach
November 24th, 2012, 04:14 PM
What? You get in the playoffs in spite of not winning your conference and don't have a seed then you play and beat whoever is front of you. There is no "deserving" anything.

Considering SDSU finished above Illinois State in the MVFC and had losses to better teams (Kansas/UNI/NDSU vs SIU/Missouri State/NDSU), I have a hard time seeing how SDSU has to play in the first round and then go to the number 1 seed whereas Illinois State gets a first round bye. I guess they're not "deserving" of it, but I would have liked to see their first game be against someone who's competitive and on the same level as them.

Sycamore62
November 24th, 2012, 04:15 PM

they should have been the #2 seed

semobison
November 24th, 2012, 04:16 PM
Bottom line...MVFC teams are physical, play defense and can run the football. EIU does none of these well!

ursus arctos horribilis
November 24th, 2012, 04:20 PM
Considering SDSU finished above Illinois State in the MVFC and had losses to better teams (Kansas/UNI/NDSU vs SIU/Missouri State/NDSU), I have a hard time seeing how SDSU has to play in the first round and then go to the number 1 seed whereas Illinois State gets a first round bye. I guess they're not "deserving" of it, but I would have liked to see their first game be against someone who's competitive and on the same level as them.

And then the argument about FBS wins, SOS, and a whole lot of other things comes in. I can see it from any number of points of view but the fact is it's all got it's shaky points and it's strengths so I assume the committee did the best they could and it just ends up this way sometimes. Anytime it could go either way I don't get too caught up in it going one way in particular I guess.

If it were my hand in the setup I probably would have went the way you suggest as well but it's fairly tenuous reasoning either way.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 24th, 2012, 04:24 PM
they should have been the #2 seed

Whatever dude. You got er' all figured out.

I think SDSU could get by NDSU and go all the way but that doesn't change anything about the way the seeding process plays out.

There are a few MVFC guys I will take seriously when they give the seedings. At this point I'm gonna look past your expertise however.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 24th, 2012, 04:26 PM
Bottom line...MVFC teams are physical, play defense and can run the football. EIU does none of these well!

Dead on. That is one of the things that the guys pointed out on both the podcasts last Sun. & Tues. It's a team and a style that makes for serious damage in playoffs...much like NDSU.

BisonFan02
November 24th, 2012, 04:26 PM

I think SDSU could get by NDSU and go all the way but that doesn't change anything about the way the seeding process plays out.

There are a few MVFC guys I will take seriously when they give the seedings. At this point I'm gonna look past your expertise however.

SDSU didn't deserve a seed, but I would have given them a bye over quite a few of the teams that got one...

Sycamore62
November 24th, 2012, 04:27 PM

I figured you could detect my sarcasm without needing to change the font.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 24th, 2012, 04:29 PM
I figured you could detect my sarcasm without needing to change the font.

My sincere apologies. I did not detect it at all.:o

You got me.xlolx

Sycamore62
November 24th, 2012, 04:36 PM
My sincere apologies. I did not detect it at all.:o

You got me.xlolx

No worries.

I regularly hate everything the NCAA does from their presidents saying a FBS playoff system would be too much for their athletes (when the real reason is they dont have to split up bowl money) to not allowing players to sell things that belong to them ect ect....

but this season (only) I will give them a pass on their playoff selections because there were only going to be mad people. I would like to see a late season game between SIU and EIU and also a late season game (or any game) between SDSU and ISUr.

Sycamore62
November 24th, 2012, 04:41 PM
EIU is really going out of their way to vaildate the selection committee's decision to only let one OVC team in.

Sam_Kats
November 24th, 2012, 04:42 PM
Thoughts on SDSU getting another shot @ the Bison in Fargo?

BisonFan02
November 24th, 2012, 04:44 PM

NDSU's quarter final matchup will be easier than SDSU.

JSUBison
November 24th, 2012, 04:46 PM

SDSU will win. Posters here on AGS will have all winter and next summer to hear about the bonehead playoff committee placing conference rivals that played two games prior in the same bracket.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 24th, 2012, 04:51 PM
SDSU will win. Posters here on AGS will have all winter and next summer to hear about the bonehead playoff committee placing conference rivals that played two games prior in the same bracket.

Yeah it will happen either way. We can just recycle all the old SoCon, BSC, and CAA gripes from years past to show how often it happens.

steelr7
November 24th, 2012, 04:51 PM

Will be interesting. We will deifinetly get to see who learned more from the first match up. Hopefully the Bison offense looks better. SDSU Defense looks great today so that will probably be the key. Could be the first one to 20 wins the game.

Bisonoline
November 24th, 2012, 04:52 PM
No worries.

I regularly hate everything the NCAA does from their presidents saying a FBS playoff system would be too much for their athletes (when the real reason is they dont have to split up bowl money) to not allowing players to sell things that belong to them ect ect....

but this season (only) I will give them a pass on their playoff selections because there were only going to be mad people. I would like to see a late season game between SIU and EIU and also a late season game (or any game) between SDSU and ISUr.

Heres another great decision-rule

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/bigten/2012/11/23/ncaa-upholds-indiana-peter-jurkin-hanner-perea-suspensions/1723393/

BEAR
November 24th, 2012, 05:04 PM

You couldn't be more wrong. Not everything, including money, is lawful to access via freedom of information...i.e. scholarships etc.. (had a huge battle with that at UCA not long ago.)

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 24th, 2012, 05:08 PM
LOL....Jacks 58-10 so far...........Way to go OVC!!!!!

Sam_Kats
November 24th, 2012, 05:11 PM
UCA crushed EIU too.

aces1180
November 24th, 2012, 05:12 PM
Who the hell picked EIU?! I didnt see one unless they were an EIU fan.

I thought EIU would win...Oops!

Pards Rule
November 24th, 2012, 05:14 PM
Wow - a complete blowout...

Twentysix
November 24th, 2012, 05:20 PM
You couldn't be more wrong. Not everything, including money, is lawful to access via freedom of information...i.e. scholarships etc.. (had a huge battle with that at UCA not long ago.)

Cause the scholarships are donated money? All salaries (Money) are public. Curious how much your law 101 prof is making? Its all public record.

IBleedYellow
November 24th, 2012, 05:24 PM
Welcome to the Valley, we play defense here.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Sycamore62
November 24th, 2012, 05:37 PM
Welcome to the Valley, we play defense here.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

well except for ISUr and SIU

Bison56
November 24th, 2012, 05:48 PM
Wow - a complete blowout...

I would call it an xasswhipx

89rabbit
November 24th, 2012, 05:51 PM

ILS put up 533 yds and 54 points against EIU while they managed only 257 yds against SIU, were picked off 4 times, and shut out.

SDSU runs for 100 yds and they win. From what I saw, Zenner is overrated, but EIU is the kind of team he can have a big day on.

Still think so? xsmiley_wix xlolx

swaghook
November 24th, 2012, 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by Houndawg View Post

Still think so? :D

Given the context of his whole sentence, I would take a guess that the answer is yes.

2002jack
November 24th, 2012, 05:54 PM
That was the poorest performance of tackling I have ever seen. We should start scheduling some nonconference games against OVC teams. Apparently beating an average Big Sky team (UCD) and the third best team in the Southland (SELA) on the road gets you no respect from the selection committee. WTF else do we need to do?

89rabbit
November 24th, 2012, 05:56 PM
Zenner's day was more then big. He set a MVFC record for a single playoff game.

swaghook
November 24th, 2012, 05:56 PM
WTF else do we need to do? Get a seed or this will happen every time 2 teams from the Dakota's make it in.

2002jack
November 24th, 2012, 05:59 PM
Get a seed or this will happen every time 2 teams from the Dakota's make it in.

If UNI would have went 8-3 with the same schedule they would have been in the second round and hosting a game. The system is flawed.

clenz
November 24th, 2012, 06:02 PM
If UNI would have went 8-3 with the same schedule they would have been in the second round and hosting a game. The system is flawed.
Instead UNI went 5-6 and completey dominated SDSU in every facet of that game.

This makes me feel even more sick with how UNI's season started...and ended.

swaghook
November 24th, 2012, 06:02 PM

The NCAA is either thrifty or greedy in setting it up to save on travel costs. Either way it was wrong but also nothing that can be done to change it they followed the rules.

mmiller_34
November 24th, 2012, 06:05 PM
Just got back from the game, One comment for now:

Eastern Illinois was the worst team to visit Coughlin since Valpo.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 24th, 2012, 06:08 PM

Really? The system is flawed? Name one that isn't in someone's eyes. There are a ton of good teams out there and a lot of them have programs that have proven to be good in the past. That buys them a little extra sway sometimes but the fact is they had to do what you guys are now doing...building a program and some rep.

Rabbits really good...yes. But make no mistake this sort of thing happens frequently and then the team goes down so why not try and enjoy the first...first playoff win instead of acting slighted?

ursus arctos horribilis
November 24th, 2012, 06:10 PM
The NCAA is either thrifty or greedy in setting it up to save on travel costs. Either way it was wrong but also nothing that can be done to change it they followed the rules.

The playoffs are not a big money maker for them so being frugal is the nature of the beast and you nailed it down in your comment.

2002jack
November 24th, 2012, 06:11 PM
Really? The system is flawed? Name one that isn't in someone's eyes. There are a ton of good teams out there and a lot of them have programs that have proven to be good in the past. That buys them a little extra sway sometimes but the fact is they had to do what you guys are now doing...building a program and some rep.

Rabbits really good...yes. But make no mistake this sort of thing happens frequently and then the team goes down so why not try and enjoy the first...first playoff win instead of acting slighted?

Good point. Time to move on.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 24th, 2012, 06:11 PM

Because they know all they won was a chance for a beatdown in the Fargodome.

Sycamore62
November 24th, 2012, 06:15 PM
Is it really travel costs? maybe they are hoping more visitors will show up to buy all the empty seats.

swaghook
November 24th, 2012, 06:18 PM
Is it really travel costs? maybe they are hoping more visitors will show up to buy all the empty seats.

What empty seats? Fargodome sold out in no time and it would not have mattered who we drew.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 24th, 2012, 06:20 PM

But with that chance for a beatdown comes a chance to unseat the Champ. That goes a long way in making them a powerful team rep wise and keeping their name on everyone's lips for quite a while.

It is a tough task to be sure but man you gotta like the chances with the upside being very large, very early in the playoff run.

I see this as a massive opportunity for the Jackrabbits. The deeper you go in the playoffs and then lose the deeper the cut man cuz only one team will not suffer a loss in this tournament.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 24th, 2012, 06:22 PM
What empty seats? Fargodome sold out in no time and it would not have mattered who we drew.

I learned earlier that it is almost impossible to tell if this one is being sacastic or not...

Sycamore62
November 24th, 2012, 06:23 PM
i meant today. i guess the argument against the complaint would be that they could have paired ISUr vs EIU, its a 90min bus drive tops

89rabbit
November 24th, 2012, 06:27 PM
Zenner's day was more then big. He set a MVFC record for a single playoff game.

297 yrds on 33 carries

Sycamore62
November 24th, 2012, 06:28 PM
I learned earlier that it is almost impossible to tell if this one is being sacastic or not...

haha, my bad, ill start using a different font.

if i were a betting man i would have expected SDSU to draw double what EIU did. last time they(EIU) had a home game, a large quantity of tickets that were bought as what i would consider donations and given to people. or at least that's what i heard

stevdock
November 24th, 2012, 06:32 PM
I think by the score of today's game it proves that it will be too bad that either SDSU or NDSU has to go home. My opinion is that both teams are top 8 at least, and could see both teams in Frisco.

jacksfan29
November 24th, 2012, 06:35 PM
Maybe, but is there a team in the playoffs right now that has a better chance of knocking off the Bison at home then SDSU? I can guarantee that no one on the Jack's roster is nervous about the crowd, noise, or the Dome atmosphere. These two teams know each other, it will be a whale of a game.:)

NoDak 4 Ever
November 24th, 2012, 06:37 PM
Maybe, but is there a team in the playoffs right now that has a better chance of knocking off the Bison at home then SDSU? I can guarantee that no one on the Jack's roster is nervous about the crowd, noise, or the Dome atmosphere. These two teams know each other, it will be a whale of a game.:)

Win one playoff game against a piss poor team and all of a sudden you're battle tested? Give me a break.

mmiller_34
November 24th, 2012, 06:41 PM
Win one playoff game against a piss poor team and all of a sudden you're battle tested? Give me a break.

Thats not the point he was making. He is saying that the Jacks are familiar with the Bison and the Fargodome... That was it.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 24th, 2012, 06:44 PM
The Jacks are battle tested. It has zero to do with what happened today. All today did was show that they are tested and ready and a very tough out for anyone.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 24th, 2012, 06:45 PM
Thats not the point he was making. He is saying that the Jacks are familiar with the Bison and the Fargodome... That was it.

Another week of this. Oh good.

clenz
November 24th, 2012, 07:00 PM

Rabbits really good...yes. But make no mistake this sort of thing happens frequently and then the team goes down so why not try and enjoy the first...first playoff win instead of acting slighted?Had SDSU avoided getting bent over and *** pounded into submission by a 5-6 UNI team they would have gotten a first round bye....

Bisonoline
November 24th, 2012, 07:03 PM

They lost to us by a mere 3 points. How much more of a test are they supposed to go through?

jacksfan29
November 24th, 2012, 07:26 PM
Chip on your shoulder? No one said we were battle tested, but do you honestly believe that anyone at SDSU is afraid to head to Fargo? Give me a break. NDSU has some great fans but some of you are in need of a reality check. The Bison will be favored and they have the best defense I have seen at this level in years. I'm not expecting SDSU to come away with a win. I think its a shame that the two schools are meeting next week instead of later in the playoffs. It is what it is. But don't expect anyone at SDSU to lie down and just hand NDSU an easy win. I doubt very much this is the game Bohl wanted at this point in the playoffs.

But hey, I'll make you feel better so you can sleep tonight. NDSU crushes SDSU by 4 tds next week. Now we can move on, no need to play the game. Do you feel better?

jacksfan29
November 24th, 2012, 07:28 PM
Had SDSU avoided getting bent over and *** pounded into submission by a 5-6 UNI team they would have gotten a first round bye....

Very true. The UNI game has haunted SDSU all year.

ITmonarch10
November 24th, 2012, 07:36 PM
Your probably would of been seeded and wouldn't have to worry about the bison for awhile.

heath
November 24th, 2012, 07:49 PM

What a piss poor response to a team you guys do not want to see again. Great 1st game,you just need to take care of business and win by more than 3.Stop being so piss poor ARROGANT :o

Sycamore62
November 24th, 2012, 08:05 PM
The blueprint to beat the bison at home is basically have most of the breaks go your way and intercept 2 passes for touchdowns. xsmiley_wix

ST_Lawson
November 24th, 2012, 09:05 PM
NDSU and SDSU have been in the same conference with each other back to 1922 (Div. II North Central Conference -> FCS Great West -> MVFC), which means they've been playing NDSU at the Fargodome since the dome opened in '92 (or '93, not sure what the first year actually playing at the Fargodome was for NDSU). Out of all of the teams in the FCS, I'd guess that SDSU is the one who's faced the Bison at the Fargodome the most. So I'd say that they're the least likely to be intimidated. They know what to expect...they saw it 2 weeks ago.

Personally, I think the Bison have the edge in this game. I think they're a little better overall, plus home field advantage counts for a bit. If this was at SDSU, I'd say it's right about even, but since it's at Fargo, my pick is NDSU in a close, very exciting game.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 24th, 2012, 09:43 PM
The blueprint to beat the bison at home is basically have most of the breaks go your way and intercept 2 passes for touchdowns. xsmiley_wix

xlolx

Vitojr130
November 24th, 2012, 09:53 PM

I lol'd. Can't dispute this as it has been accurate for 2 seasons in a row now.

McNeese72
November 24th, 2012, 10:07 PM
Great Game, you, "wascally wabbits"!!! :D

Doc

clenz
November 24th, 2012, 10:22 PM
I know UNI played like they did early in the season against SDSU, but I was FAR from impressed with SDSU after that game.

BLOWS MY ****ING MIND how badly we outclassed you and yet we went 4-4 in conference and you went 6-2

Bisonoline
November 24th, 2012, 10:25 PM
I know UNI played like they did early in the season against SDSU, but I was FAR from impressed with SDSU after that game.

BLOWS MY ****ING MIND how badly we outclassed you and yet we went 4-4 in conference and you went 6-2

Just goes to show that one game doesnt make a season.

robsnotes4u
November 24th, 2012, 10:29 PM
Just goes to show that one game doesnt make a season.

So true, just like past performances in the playoffs. Now is what matters.

RowdyRabbit
November 24th, 2012, 10:30 PM
Since when did the FCS allow a DII team in the playoffs?

I'm sorry but if 'that' was OVC's best, then I hope I never see an OVC team again.

RowdyRabbit
November 24th, 2012, 10:32 PM
double post

clenz
November 24th, 2012, 10:32 PM

I'm sorry but if 'that' was OVC's best, then I hope I never see an OVC team again.
0 for their last 21 now

robsnotes4u
November 24th, 2012, 11:04 PM
297 yrds on 33 carries

And your other back had something like 151 yards and two tds. Quite a day

89rabbit
November 24th, 2012, 11:29 PM

What can we say, we had a bad day against a bad team and got a bad loss. xcoffeex

cbarrier90
November 25th, 2012, 12:31 AM

PLAYOFF EXPANSION! CATCH THE FEVER!

ursus arctos horribilis
November 25th, 2012, 12:37 AM
PLAYOFF EXPANSION! CATCH THE FEVER!

You do realize that they would have been in and SDSU would not have...right?

Reign of Terrier
November 25th, 2012, 12:42 AM
Is it possible for the OVC to lose their autobid?

89rabbit
November 25th, 2012, 08:47 AM
Recap from the Sioux Falls Argus Leader

http://www.argusleader.com/article/20121125/SPORTS0202/311250018/Zenner-splendor-Jacks-rushing-record-falls-first-ever-playoff-victory?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Sports

Zenner splendor: Jacks rushing record falls in first ever playoff victory
Jacks rushing record falls in first ever playoff victory

Written by
Terry Vandrovec

BROOKINGS — A South Dakota State squad that supposedly sneaked into the Football Championship Subdivision postseason blasted into the second round Saturday, pummeling Ohio Valley champion Eastern Illinois.

There was, as Panthers coach Dino Babers said, no doubt.

The No. 19-ranked Jackrabbits not only were better, they were historically good in the first home playoff game in program history, scoring a 58-10 victory over No. 25 EIU before a crowd of 4,367 at Coughlin-Alumni Stadium.

Sophomore Zach Zenner rushed for 295 yards to break the single-game school record set in 1999 by Josh Ranek, helping SDSU total 580 yards of offense – its highest output in four years.

The Jacks (9-3) gave up a fraction of that, keeping the Panthers (7-5) out of the end zone until the fourth quarter and holding them far from their usual scoring outuput of almost 40 points per game.

The first postseason win in program history wound up being the most lopsided playoff victory in Missouri Valley Football Conference history and sets up a second-round contest at top-ranked North Dakota State (10-1) at 3 p.m. Saturday

“Really proud of our football team in so many ways,” 16th-year coach John Stiegelmeier said. “We played against a really good football team in Eastern, and I think we played our best football game, which we challenged them to do, and they rose to that challenge.”

To that end, EIU split two regular-season games with top-half teams from the Missouri Valley, beating Southern Illinois 49-28 and losing to Illinois State 54-51 in double overtime.. . . . (read more)

Gil Dobie
November 25th, 2012, 11:04 AM
SDSU media is playing the no respect card. Bison fans also know that the Jacks got no respect from the committee. The Momentum is on the Jacks side, playoff experience on the Bison side. Should be a great game in the Fargodome.

McNeese75
November 25th, 2012, 11:31 AM
Recap from the Sioux Falls Argus Leader

http://www.argusleader.com/article/20121125/SPORTS0202/311250018/Zenner-splendor-Jacks-rushing-record-falls-first-ever-playoff-victory?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Sports

Zenner splendor: Jacks rushing record falls in first ever playoff victory
Jacks rushing record falls in first ever playoff victory

Written by
Terry Vandrovec

BROOKINGS — A South Dakota State squad that supposedly sneaked into the Football Championship Subdivision postseason blasted into the second round Saturday, pummeling Ohio Valley champion Eastern Illinois.

There was, as Panthers coach Dino Babers said, no doubt.

The No. 19-ranked Jackrabbits not only were better, they were historically good in the first home playoff game in program history, scoring a 58-10 victory over No. 25 EIU before a crowd of 4,367 at Coughlin-Alumni Stadium.

Sophomore Zach Zenner rushed for 295 yards to break the single-game school record set in 1999 by Josh Ranek, helping SDSU total 580 yards of offense –(read more)

xrolleyesx Seriously????? How can you have less than 5,000 show up for a playoff game when you have one of the premier running backs in the FCS???? I know Thanksgiving whittles the student attendance down but WOW, unbelievable

No_Skill
November 25th, 2012, 11:46 AM
xrolleyesx Seriously????? How can you have less than 5,000 show up for a playoff game when you have one of the premier running backs in the FCS???? I know Thanksgiving whittles the student attendance down but WOW, unbelievable

Also notice, it was the first home playoff game in program history!

Sycamore62
November 25th, 2012, 01:14 PM

What is the usual student attendance. It's easier to fill a stadium when the town has 100k population rather than 20k

Twentysix
November 25th, 2012, 01:15 PM

Thats gotta be bull****. SDSU never made the playoffs in Div II?

JSUBison
November 25th, 2012, 01:26 PM

Kind of hard to make the playoffs coming out of the NCC unless you are named NDSU, UND and to a lesser extent UNO and UNC.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 25th, 2012, 01:29 PM

The only time they were in the playoffs prior to 2009 was in 1979 and they lost @ McNeese State.

clenz
November 25th, 2012, 01:32 PM
The only time they were in the playoffs prior to 2009 was in 1979 and they lost @ McNeese State.
I believe they lost @ Youngstown in 1979

November 24, 1979: game at YSU
YSU 50
SDSU 7

Other than that...correct.

Only playoff appearances (I looked all the way back to 1920)
1979 - D2 0-1
2009 - D1 0-1
2012 - D1 1-0 so far

Outscored 111-55 prior to this year.

Twentysix
November 25th, 2012, 01:48 PM
Wow. Thats horrible.

Twentysix
November 25th, 2012, 01:48 PM
Kind of hard to make the playoffs coming out of the NCC unless you are named NDSU, UND and to a lesser extent UNO and UNC.

Was USD's runnerup year the only time they made it?