PDA

View Full Version : This Question May Have Been Answered Many Times Already ...

lionsrking2
November 18th, 2012, 07:48 PM
and maybe I haven't been paying close enough attention, but why did Eastern Illinois only have seven OVC games while the rest of the league played eight? Just noticed looking at the schedules that they finished 6-1 in league play to get the autobid, while UT-Martin, who beat them head to head, and EKU both finished a half game behind at 6-2. Again, I'm sure there's a reason that's been explained plenty of times before but I'm apparently late to the table figuring it out.

WrenFGun
November 18th, 2012, 07:50 PM
I guess there's a rule that Tennessee State gets 4 games guaranteed every year v. other teams and so EIU was left off their schedule this year as a result.

EKU Toss Sweep
November 18th, 2012, 07:56 PM
and maybe I haven't been paying close enough attention, but why did Eastern Illinois only have seven OVC games while the rest of the league played eight? Just noticed looking at the schedules that they finished 6-1 in league play to get the autobid, while UT-Martin, who beat them head to head, and EKU both finished a half game behind at 6-2. Again, I'm sure there's a reason that's been explained plenty of times before but I'm apparently late to the table figuring it out.

A poor decision that was made by the OVC when TSU joined the conference. In order to allow TSU to maintain traditional rivalries the OVC agreed to allow them to only play 7 conference games. That means each year both TSU and 1 other OVC team only play 7. This was EIU's year. Usually doesn't come in to play in deciding the conference AQ, but when it does it's just another black eye for the league. EIU is a fitting champ and flat kicked EKU's butt in Richmond, but everybody should play a full slate in detemining a conference champion. Just my opinion, but if TSU want's to maintain traditional rivals they should move on. If they want to compete for the OVC auto bid they should play everyone. On the other hand, TSU is just doing what the league allows them to do.

lionsrking2
November 18th, 2012, 08:21 PM
A poor decision that was made by the OVC when TSU joined the conference. In order to allow TSU to maintain traditional rivalries the OVC agreed to allow them to only play 7 conference games. That means each year both TSU and 1 other OVC team only play 7. This was EIU's year. Usually doesn't come in to play in deciding the conference AQ, but when it does it's just another black eye for the league. EIU is a fitting champ and flat kicked EKU's butt in Richmond, but everybody should play a full slate in detemining a conference champion. Just my opinion, but if TSU want's to maintain traditional rivals they should move on. If they want to compete for the OVC auto bid they should play everyone. On the other hand, TSU is just doing what the league allows them to do.

I now understand. I can see why the arrangement was allowed, but agree Tennessee State should either be all in or all out. Who knows what would have happened had they played EIU but there's at least a decent chance you would have had a three-way tie between EIU, UTM and EKU. Then it would have been up to OVC tiebreaker rules for the autobid.

dgtw
November 18th, 2012, 08:32 PM
Where is my stick I use to beat TSU's Plessy v. Ferguson football schedule dead horse?

TTUEagles
November 18th, 2012, 09:04 PM
Blame the OVC, not TSU...Last year, the Tigers played at Air Force instead of a "classic" game and played a full conference schedule. I believe the OVC team left out is on a rotating basis - with the non-Tennessee teams. For those that don't know, the 4 TN OVC schools play for the "Sergeant York Trophy" - which is about 4-5 years old.