PDA

View Full Version : Lex Hilliard done for the year?

griz37
August 15th, 2006, 12:27 AM
Its all rumor right now, but it seems our All American RB Lex Hilliard may already be done for the year. Absolutely devastating news for Griz fans. :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :pumpuke:

http://www.egriz.com/GrizBoard/viewtopic.php?p=198922#198922&sid=d4299478c3c4e1ae4a2e7ef049db9db6

blukeys
August 15th, 2006, 01:03 AM
My fingers are crossed for Lex. I have seen all kind of Achilles Injuries and none of the results are good. If he needs surgery he is out for the season. A minor rupture requiring no surgery may keep him out till the beginning of October.

A complete Achilles tear can be recognized immediately and I have seen it twice. The foot literally just flops around with the person having no control. Surgery and rehab take about a year. The good news is one can recover 100%. They do need to pay attention to stretching big time.

I see from the board that there is some question about his being able to use a medical red shirt. If Hilliard has not red shirted at all he can use this year as a red shirt. If he has voluntarily red shirted his freshman year he can't use this year as a medical red shirt. Last year David Boler UD's best wideout blew out his knee in a preseason drill. He had Red shirted his Freshman year while at USC. He applied for a Medical Redshirt but was turned down. There are some players that have gotten 2 medical red shirt years but so far the NCAA has turned down requests for a medical redshirt if the player has already taken a voluntary redshirt.

I hope the info helps and best of luck to Lex one hates to see this happenning to anyone.

UNH 40
August 15th, 2006, 07:37 AM
I feel sick to my stomach with this news. It is terrible when a great player especially a great player that is a senior goes down in a game, but in when he goes down in preseason practice or any practice that is so much worse. Lex is my favorite player outside of the UNH team because of the style of game he plays, hard nosed all the way. I hope that this is just a rumor. What a shame if it is true. : smh :

Proud Griz Man
August 15th, 2006, 08:01 AM
Lex trained really hard in the off-season and was primed for a great year with a potentially strong Griz team. Last year he had to carry the load while our new QBs and WRs learned their positions. Lex has a redshirt year available if he chooses.

Lex is my favorite player outside of the UNH team because of the style of game he plays, hard nosed all the way. I hope that this is just a rumor.

Lex would really appreciate the compliment GP. Regretfully, I fear this is true because there is too much unofficial confirmation of this rumor.

UNH 40
August 15th, 2006, 08:09 AM
Lex trained really hard in the off-season and was primed for a great year with a potentially strong Griz team. Last year he had to carry the load while our new QBs and WRs learned their positions. Lex has a redshirt year available if he chooses.

Lex would really appreciate the compliment GP. Regretfully, I fear this is true because there is too much unofficial confirmation of this rumor.

What a shame, what a shame. : smh : :bawling: : smh :

Saint3333
August 15th, 2006, 08:11 AM
This could be the beginning of the AGS Cover Curse...

SunCoastBlueHen
August 15th, 2006, 08:15 AM
Terrible news. I hate hearing about guys getting injured, especially guy with pro aspirations. Here's hoping the injury is not as bad as feared.

bluehenbillk
August 15th, 2006, 08:17 AM
This could be the beginning of the AGS Cover Curse...

Well since it's not out yet the could always change it, one of the benefits of being perennially late.

VictorG
August 15th, 2006, 08:23 AM
Terrible loss if true. However, this year the Griz are truly 3 deep at the running back position and had 3 legitimate starters fighting for time in the back field. We will recover!

AppGuy04
August 15th, 2006, 08:32 AM
Sucks that he got hurt, but on the bright side, it could galvanize what was a national championship contending team

Mr. C
August 15th, 2006, 09:07 AM
Well since it's not out yet the could always change it, one of the benefits of being perennially late.
What a cheap shot.
:mad:
:bang:
: flamemad
:flagged:

GannonFan
August 15th, 2006, 09:15 AM
What a cheap shot.
:mad:
:bang:
: flamemad
:flagged:

Come on, at least it was a funny cheap shot.

Shame to hear about Hilliard though - he was a fun player to watch and with the improvements to the offense the Griz were clearly perched for good things this year. It'll be interesting to see what they have in the stable behind him as they still have the pieces for a very good team. Concur with the earlier mention of the redshirt - if he had a non-medical redshirt already it's almost impossible to get a redshirt for this - that's the not talked about downside of taking a non-medical redshirt.

McNeese75
August 15th, 2006, 09:27 AM
:mad: That really sucks!!! Hopefully it will work out for him but that can be a really bad injury. I really have enjoyed watching him the last couple years :)

Ronbo
August 15th, 2006, 10:32 AM
Come on, at least it was a funny cheap shot.

Shame to hear about Hilliard though - he was a fun player to watch and with the improvements to the offense the Griz were clearly perched for good things this year. It'll be interesting to see what they have in the stable behind him as they still have the pieces for a very good team. Concur with the earlier mention of the redshirt - if he had a non-medical redshirt already it's almost impossible to get a redshirt for this - that's the not talked about downside of taking a non-medical redshirt.

Two players to take up the slack in Lex's stead.

Greg Coleman has already worked up to #2. 6'0" 238. Second leading rusher for Iowa State last year.

Reggie Bradshaw 6'0" 210 lbs, he's looked very good in fall practices. 4.4 speed, ran for 3184 yards and 36 TD's his senior year in HS. Won the fastest player award at Louisville last year.

It's a bummer, but we should be OK. Lex should redshirt and come back in 2007 to break all the records he's close to.

bluehenbillk
August 15th, 2006, 10:34 AM
Geez, how many transfers do the Griz have?

Down with the Foe!
August 15th, 2006, 10:38 AM

Well, it appears now...just maybe, enough.

I could not put my finger on "WHY?" we had so many great Athletes at RB when we had Lex.

I guess I know that answer....now.

: smh :

Ronbo
August 15th, 2006, 10:40 AM

Both these running backs were recommended by ex-Griz or Montana connected coaches. As Bobby said when he got Coleman in, "You can't have too many Running Backs or Cornerbacks."

We had a few schollies free up over the summer, so what to do? You bring in some talent to fill them.

dbackjon
August 15th, 2006, 10:51 AM
Sorry to hear about that - hopefully he can recover.

Ronbo
August 15th, 2006, 10:58 AM
Sorry to hear about that - hopefully he can recover.

The only good news about this is that it's an achilles which should have a 100% recovery. It just takes time to heal and rehabilitate.

August 15th, 2006, 11:09 AM
Come on, at least it was a funny cheap shot...I didn't see a smiley and it was a classless cheap shot (not to mention untrue).:rolleyes:

bluehenbillk
August 15th, 2006, 11:19 AM
I didn't see a smiley and it was a classless cheap shot (not to mention untrue).:rolleyes:

Untrue??:nono:

August 15th, 2006, 11:26 AM
Sorry to hear about Lex, maybe he'll make the cover next year too!

smallcollegefbfan
August 15th, 2006, 12:50 PM
I have been told he is done for the year and will be trying to come back next season. I wonder if it is a knee injury or something else.

umassfan
August 15th, 2006, 01:05 PM
I didn't see a smiley and it was a classless cheap shot (not to mention untrue).:rolleyes:
Why is it untrue? Because the mag is always on time and this year is just a "fluke". :rolleyes:

kats89
August 15th, 2006, 01:11 PM
Terrible loss if true. However, this year the Griz are truly 3 deep at the running back position and had 3 legitimate starters fighting for time in the back field. We will recover!

Maybe, but they are no Lex Hilliard.

CrunchGriz
August 15th, 2006, 01:12 PM
I have been told he is done for the year and will be trying to come back next season. I wonder if it is a knee injury or something else.

The rumors going around seem to be saying achilles.

UNH 40
August 15th, 2006, 01:14 PM
has Hilliard used his redshirt yet?

Ronbo
August 15th, 2006, 01:24 PM
has Hilliard used his redshirt yet?

No he's a true senior.

GannonFan
August 15th, 2006, 01:38 PM
No he's a true senior.

Well, at least that's great news then - assuming he wants to come back, he'd be able to play next year.

VictorG
August 15th, 2006, 01:47 PM
Maybe, but they are no Lex Hilliard.

This is true. They are no Lex Hilliard...............Yet!!! (Yes, I'm ever hopeful!!!)

MrTitleist
August 15th, 2006, 01:50 PM
Radio just confirmed Lex's injury.. to his foot, which is probably achilles. They also mentioned the possibility of him using a redshirt this year and coming back next year to run. The University of Montana will have an official press release later today.

I'm just glad we're stacked at running back.. this may set us back a little, but it's going to be a great season and we've got two very capable running backs to step in and run the ball.

smallcollegefbfan
August 15th, 2006, 02:23 PM
Montana sent out a release I saw on the net. Looks like Hilliard is out with a foot injury like many speculated. Sounds like he is coming back next year too. I hate it for him but it is a relief for other Big Sky teams I am sure.

Tod
August 15th, 2006, 02:25 PM
Grizzly Football News

Hilliard out for season with injury
by: Dave Guffey of the UM Sports Information Department
Tuesday, 08/15/2006

University of Montana senior halfback Lex Hilliard sustained a serious foot injury in practice Monday afternoon (August 14) that will require surgery. He will redshirt this year and miss the 2006 season.

"We're very disappointed for Lex Hilliard," said fourth-year Griz Head Coach Bobby Hauck. "For him to lose his senior season, especially one that he has prepared so hard for, is a hard pill to swallow. It's difficult to put into words just how bad that myself, our coaches, and our players feel for Lex.

"Obviously it is a tremendous loss to our football team and certainly puts a damper on our championship aspirations since we lost our best player for the season," Hauck said.

Hilliard, a 6-0, 228-pounder from Kalispell, is ranked second in Montana history with 2,884 career rushing yards. He has rushed for 34 career touchdowns.

He has been a unanimous first team All-Big Sky Conference selection the past two seasons.

Last season he rushed for 1,322 yards, which is the second most in single-season history at UM, and was a finalist for the Walter Payton Award, given annually to Division I-AA's "Offensive Player of the Year."

UM will have no further comments on Hilliard's injury.

http://www.montanagrizzlies.com/

mlbowl
August 15th, 2006, 02:34 PM
That sucks:mad: :bang: :mad:

OL FU
August 15th, 2006, 02:36 PM
That sucks:mad: :bang: :mad:

:nod: :nod: :nod:

Sorry for Lex and Montana.

Mr. C
August 15th, 2006, 03:01 PM
What the heck does "Montana will have no further comment on Hilliard's injury" mean? Dave Guffey is a piece of work. The top player on your team is injured and the only thing you say about it is contained in a seven-paragraph press release that doesn't even confirm the injury. Why the CIA treatment?

GoBears
August 15th, 2006, 03:11 PM
What the heck does "Montana will have no further comment on Hilliard's injury" mean? Dave Guffey is a piece of work. The top player on your team is injured and the only thing you say about it is contained in a seven-paragraph press release that doesn't even confirm the injury. Why the CIA treatment?

Unfortunately neither Guffey nor Hauck can release specifics of an injury to the media due to federal privacy laws. The only way anyone can talk about it is if Hilliard does himself or he signs a waiver giving permission.

Mr. C
August 15th, 2006, 03:24 PM
Unfortunately neither Guffey nor Hauck can release specifics of an injury to the media due to federal privacy laws. The only way anyone can talk about it is if Hilliard does himself or he signs a waiver giving permission.
That's garbage. Schools release information all of the time. Some also use HIPPA to keep news away from folks like us. There was a previous SID at Appalachian State who tried to hide things behind HIPPA. Now that he is gone, we have no trouble accessing information about injuries. How do you think we knew what was happening with Richie Williams and his injured ankle before the championship game last season? Some teams just take this stupid law to a degree that other don't.

griz37
August 15th, 2006, 03:32 PM
That's garbage. Schools release information all of the time. Some also use HIPPA to keep news away from folks like us. There was a previous SID at Appalachian State who tried to hide things behind HIPPA. Now that he is gone, we have no trouble accessing information about injuries. How do you think we knew what was happening with Richie Williams and his injured ankle before the championship game last season? Some teams just take this stupid law to a degree that other don't.

What would you like Guffey to do Mr. C? Lex is out for the year w/an achilles injury. What more do you need to know? He is after all a college student whose privacy should be respected. If he wants to talk to the media then Lex will do so.

LacesOut
August 15th, 2006, 03:37 PM
Too bad for him and the Griz.

Good for all of the teams that they play though!

bison95
August 15th, 2006, 03:40 PM
Too bad for him and the Griz.

Good for all of the teams that they play though!

Except Iowa. I was so hoping for the suckeyes to have their early season let down choke against the Grizz, and lex could run it up their asses all day long:bang:

slostang
August 15th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Terrible loss. I saw Lex rip Cal Poly for over 230 rushing in their first meeting last season. He is the top back in I-AA in my opinion and is in a class by himself. He is a back that has the rare combination of power and speed and he can either run over you or away from you. I hope he makes a full recovery and comes back in 2007 and has an outstanding senior year.

Mr. C
August 15th, 2006, 03:44 PM
What would you like Guffey to do Mr. C? Lex is out for the year w/an achilles injury. What more do you need to know? He is after all a college student whose privacy should be respected. If he wants to talk to the media then Lex will do so.
Guffey can do what most other SIDs do and release the information on the injury, rather than have all of this speculation for the better part of 24 hours. Guffey has a reputation of not being the best SID out there for getting information to some media sources.

My condolances to Lex and I wish him the best (as I'm sure everyone in the I-AA community does), but it isn't an invasion of privacy to tell the media what his injury is. He is a public figure and the best known player on the Montana team. This is just something that Guffey and company could have handled much better.

touchdown
August 15th, 2006, 03:50 PM
Heres to a successful surgery and speedy recovery!
Best wishes to Lex from the Sac state Hornets!

ucdtim17
August 15th, 2006, 03:54 PM
We lost our starter as well - http://www.davisenterprise.com/articles/2006/08/15/sports/138spt1.txt

Grizo406
August 15th, 2006, 04:33 PM
The Heartbreak Hotel is full in Grizland today!:bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

DuckDuckGriz
August 16th, 2006, 03:09 PM
:bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

SactoHornetFan
August 16th, 2006, 03:35 PM
Sorry to hear Griz fans. Good player...though it means that I will get to see him one more time in Sacramento next year.

griz37
August 16th, 2006, 06:14 PM
Sorry to hear Griz fans. Good player...though it means that I will get to see him one more time in Sacramento next year.

So your the Hornet fan that goes to the games in Sacto! xlolx

MR. CHICKEN
August 16th, 2006, 07:31 PM
GRIZZARDS...SORRY 'BOUT LEX...:( ...OMAR...WILL NOW HAVE TA FRET HIM.....NEXT YEAR!.....................:o........BAWK!

DaGriz
August 16th, 2006, 09:29 PM
Guffey can do what most other SIDs do and release the information on the injury, rather than have all of this speculation for the better part of 24 hours. Guffey has a reputation of not being the best SID out there for getting information to some media sources.

My condolances to Lex and I wish him the best (as I'm sure everyone in the I-AA community does), but it isn't an invasion of privacy to tell the media what his injury is. He is a public figure and the best known player on the Montana team. This is just something that Guffey and company could have handled much better.

I thought with the new HIPAA laws the specifics of an injury could not be released without the consent of the patient?

eaglesrthe1
August 17th, 2006, 01:17 AM

Lessee...player gets injured...gets seen by trainer. Taken to emergency room... Xrays taken... developed at one place...maybe read at another, or when the doctor comes in. Info passed on to Hilliards doctor...maybe the university. They have to decide what they can release....what they can't...confers with family. SID writes up a release...passes it on to the newspaper. Depending on the time of day it makes the current days release or maybe the next.

I s'pose nothing less than a copy of the x-rays for you to peruse in 15 minutes or less would have sufficed, eh?

all of this speculation for the better part of 24 hours xlolx xlolx :rolleyes: :cool:

UNH 40
August 17th, 2006, 07:58 AM

As a player you have the option to tell the training staff and coaches that you don't want any information about the nature of the injury to be leaked to the media or anyone outside of the program. They have to honor that request. This is a pretty common thing for players to do, I did it once and knew of several other players who did it at UNH. Now I will say that it is more common for a player who has a less serious injury than he has to use this option. I don't know if this is the stance that Lex took, but I do know that it is an option that players commonly use.

eaglessoar20021
August 17th, 2006, 08:28 AM
Best of luck to Lex.

Ronbo
August 17th, 2006, 09:42 AM
http://www.dailyinterlake.com/articles/2006/08/17/sports/sports01.txt

http://web.montanagrizzlies.com/mtgriz/images/front_wide/football/lex_hilliard_injured.jpg

Hilliard: ‘It was the worst pain I’ve ever felt’
Posted: Wednesday, Aug 16, 2006 - 11:31:08 pm PDT
By CARL HENNELL
The Daily Inter Lake

Griz coach Bobby Hauck: 'I feel worse for him than the team'

Four guys said they heard it pop. Lex Hilliard knew right away what it was.

Three days later, nearly all of Griz Nation is coming out of a state of shock.

Hilliard, the University of Montana senior running back who was on pace to becoming the school’s all-time leading rusher, tore his Achilles’ tendon Monday afternoon in practice and has been lost for the season.

“I was just coming out of my stance and it popped,” Hilliard said. “We were in a goal line drill going against linebackers, who were trying to stop us from getting into the endzone. I didn’t even get touched. I just exploded out of my stance and then I was on the ground. I knew right away what it was. Four other guys standing behind me said they heard it pop. I thought it was really loud — but that’s probably because it was in my body. It was the worst pain I’ve ever felt.”

blukeys
August 17th, 2006, 01:42 PM
http://www.dailyinterlake.com/articles/2006/08/17/sports/sports01.txt

http://web.montanagrizzlies.com/mtgriz/images/front_wide/football/lex_hilliard_injured.jpg

Hilliard: ‘It was the worst pain I’ve ever felt’
Posted: Wednesday, Aug 16, 2006 - 11:31:08 pm PDT
By CARL HENNELL
The Daily Inter Lake

Griz coach Bobby Hauck: 'I feel worse for him than the team'

Four guys said they heard it pop. Lex Hilliard knew right away what it was.

Three days later, nearly all of Griz Nation is coming out of a state of shock.

Hilliard, the University of Montana senior running back who was on pace to becoming the school’s all-time leading rusher, tore his Achilles’ tendon Monday afternoon in practice and has been lost for the season.

“I was just coming out of my stance and it popped,” Hilliard said. “We were in a goal line drill going against linebackers, who were trying to stop us from getting into the endzone. I didn’t even get touched. I just exploded out of my stance and then I was on the ground. I knew right away what it was. Four other guys standing behind me said they heard it pop. I thought it was really loud — but that’s probably because it was in my body. It was the worst pain I’ve ever felt.”

I have twice been present when an individual tore an achilles and it is a very painful injury just to watch!!!! The Achilles tears when a player executes an explosive movement and when I witnessed the injuries I heard a popping sound both times.

For my Griz friends the glass is half full. Hilliard will be off his feet for a few months but this is an injury where he can get back to 100%. It will take an entire year for Lex to rehab and the rehab is arduous but Lex will be just as good next year at this time.

If this had happened the 2nd week of October this situation would have been much worse.