PDA

View Full Version : If Wagner got a home game...

hebmskebm
November 18th, 2012, 01:48 PM
Than I'm pretty sure none of the opening round road teams put in a bid. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for the Seahawks, but a home playoff game?

DFW HOYA
November 18th, 2012, 01:55 PM
Wagner (Hameline) Stadium:

http://www.wagner.edu/admissions/sites/wagner.edu.admissions/files/images/fb_stadium_large.jpg

TypicalTribe
November 18th, 2012, 01:57 PM
Maybe they just wanted to boost the local economy after Hurricane Sandy.

asucrutch23
November 18th, 2012, 01:57 PM
All that had to happen was for them to outbid Colgate. The bids are opened after the pairings are made...

taper
November 18th, 2012, 02:03 PM
Don't know if the committee considers it much, but it shouldn't be a suprise which teams put in a high bid, and which ones are low. Not that any of the 1st rounds will be especially high.

aceinthehole
November 18th, 2012, 02:04 PM
I'm pretty certain the NEC put some $$ in an account to help a team bid for NCAA playoffs. Good move by the league!

The Wagner campus is spectatular and the stadium, while small, is nicely done.

During the Summer of 2006 the playing surface of the stadium was redone. Wagner College Stadium now features Field Turf, a synthetic grass surface that is now used by the football team along with the men's and women's lacrosse and soccer programs.

A completely reconstructed Wagner College Stadium opened for the 1997 season.

Financed entirely through fund-raising efforts by the college, the $2.5 million stadium was part of a $13 million project which included the construction of the Spiro Sports Center - a 93,000 square-foot multi purpose athletic facility.

The construction of new bleachers increased the Stadium's seating capacity to 3,300 including 400 seatbacks located at midfield. Below the stadium is a fieldhouse featuring several locker rooms, training room, equipment room and public facilities. Surrounding the field is a six-lane synthetic running surface, allowing the college to play host to many track and field meets.

Originally opened for the 1967 season, Fischer Memorial Field (original name) was inaugurated with a 25-8 win over Western Maryland before an opening day crowd of 4,700 on September 23, 1967. During their first season at Fischer, the Seahawks went 5-0-0 en route to a perfect 9-0-0 record under head coach Bob Hicks.
Wagner College Stadium has been the site of three NCAA playoff games, in 1982, 1987 and 1988. It last hosted a postseason game when Wagner claimed the 1992 ECAC Southeast Championship with a 48-6 win over St. Francis College of Pennsylvania.

As for where it all began -- Wagner College Stadium was originally used as a practice field while Dr. Bill Willets Field, currently the home of Seahawk baseball, served as Wagner's game field. Charlotta Fischer Palmer, mother of John Palmer (Wagner '62), donated money to the College so that the practice field could be doubled in size. The ground on which the field now stands was enlarged and because John Palmer was a former track star, Mrs. Palmer stipulated the money would be given if a track were built surrounding the field.
http://wagnerathletics.com/sports/2008/7/28/_0728082821.aspx?id=29

Sader87
November 18th, 2012, 02:05 PM
Bit of a head-scratcher....Hamilton is nearly in the middle of nowhere and hasn't drawn well recently.

You also get a great shot of the Verrazano Bridge from the home side at Wagner.

aceinthehole
November 18th, 2012, 02:13 PM
Bit of a head-scratcher....Hamilton is nearly in the middle of nowhere and hasn't drawn well recently.

You also get a great shot of the Verrazano Bridge from the home side at Wagner.

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/wagn/galleries/images/_l3w2212-lg.jpg

More photos of campus http://www.flickr.com/photos/wagneralumni/5347230290/

hebmskebm
November 18th, 2012, 04:13 PM
I was surprised that Wagner outbid Villanova. Nova could have easily hosted Colgate, with SBU hosting Wagner.

Twentysix
November 18th, 2012, 04:24 PM
I was surprised that Wagner outbid Villanova. Nova could have easily hosted Colgate, with SBU hosting Wagner.

The pairings are done first, bidding comes into play second. Wagner and Villanova's bids were not compared.

Redwyn
November 18th, 2012, 04:26 PM

I believe a prior poster said that bids are sent only AFTER pairings are made.

That said, even if this poster was incorrect, SBU would have hosted regardless. Rumor around the basketball game today was that our AD put in a MONSTER bid to host. We drew between 10 and 12K last year, so it wouldn't be an unreasonable thing to do. Certainly justifies our imminent stadium expansion, which is rumored to be to 10K (plus 2K SRO), then again to 18K.

Twentysix
November 18th, 2012, 04:31 PM
I believe a prior poster said that bids are sent only AFTER pairings are made.

That said, even if this poster was incorrect, SBU would have hosted regardless. Rumor around the basketball game today was that our AD put in a MONSTER bid to host. We drew between 10 and 12K last year, so it wouldn't be an unreasonable thing to do. Certainly justifies our imminent stadium expansion, which is rumored to be to 10K (plus 2K SRO), then again to 18K.

The bids are submitted to the committee before the field is even selected, however, the bids are sealed. They are only opened after all the pairings are complete. In the case of a seed, the bids are irrelevant assuming they are atleast that rounds minimum.