PDA

View Full Version : Just a bit of disrespect....

bojeta
November 18th, 2012, 01:07 PM
Cal Poly was not mentioned ONCE in the selection broadcast. Teams that were playing in the Saturday round got lots of talk and video. Cal Poly was not even mentioned when they talked about Sam Houston!! They talked A LOT about Lehigh and Towson who did not make the field!!! But NOT ONCE did they even say the words "CAL POLY"....

NoDak 4 Ever
November 18th, 2012, 01:09 PM
Cal Poly was not mentioned ONCE in the selection broadcast. Teams that were playing in the Saturday round got lots of talk and video. Cal Poly was not even mentioned when they talked about Sam Houston!! They talked A LOT about Lehigh and Towson who did not make the field!!! But NOT ONCE did they even say the words "CAL POLY"....

Would you rather they mentioned you as ham-handedly as they did everyone else? Willie Fritz the coach of Montana State!?!?!? they didn't know what they were talking about anyway.

cbarrier90
November 18th, 2012, 01:14 PM
You must be new to ESPN's "selection show..."

Redbird Ray
November 18th, 2012, 01:16 PM
I would have preferred no mention over that fat **** Jay Walker ****ting on ISU's inclusion for half the show. It's not like we finished 3rd in far and away the nation's toughest conference or anything. What a ****.

DJnva
November 18th, 2012, 01:23 PM
So, would you rather have been snubbed and been talked about?

cpalum
November 18th, 2012, 01:32 PM
I don't give a rats azz but that show was ridiculously weak

Was happy to see EWU seeded ahead of MSU, they got that right

Would love to see Cal Poly upset Sam and get a shot at MSU

taper
November 18th, 2012, 01:49 PM
Run over SHSU and you'll have people talking about you.

bojeta
November 18th, 2012, 02:05 PM
So, would you rather have been snubbed and been talked about?

What I would have liked was some decent reporting which would have included, at the least, a mention of a team in the bracket. It also would have included Cal Poly's Deonte Williams when listing "team's in the playoff bracket with Walter Payton candidates". It was just piss-poor reporting from a couple of homer mc's. Sam Houston is a very good team and will be difficult to beat, especially in Huntsville. I think we can do it, but win or lose, my grief was with the poor quality of the show. FCS deserves better!

CorrosionDoc
November 18th, 2012, 02:08 PM
I don't give a rats azz but that show was ridiculously weak

Was happy to see EWU seeded ahead of MSU, they got that right

Would love to see Cal Poly upset Sam and get a shot at MSU

Yeah, pretty comical to see that they had interviews with NDSU head coach (understandable) but then Bethune-Cookman's head coach??? WTF was that? An interview for a team that will be sitting at home in December? Here's hoping you get that chance at MSU because I'd rather not have my eyes bleed due to that horrific field...

DJnva
November 18th, 2012, 02:11 PM
Eh, the basketball selection show usually has an interview with some "happy to be there" team too.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 18th, 2012, 02:17 PM
What I would have liked was some decent reporting which would have included, at the least, a mention of a team in the bracket. It also would have included Cal Poly's Deonte Williams when listing "team's in the playoff bracket with Walter Payton candidates". It was just piss-poor reporting from a couple of homer mc's. Sam Houston is a very good team and will be difficult to beat, especially in Huntsville. I think we can do it, but win or lose, my grief was with the poor quality of the show. FCS deserves better!

ESPN is just **** when it comes to FCS. The NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP game featured such gems as Brock Jensen being referred to as "Larson" and having Matt Veldman's hometown of Becker, Minnesota being turned into Becker, Montana.

cpalum
November 18th, 2012, 02:29 PM
Leaving Deonte off of the list of Plyiff team with Payton Award candidates was a huge slap in the face to the entire Poly program. I hope Deonte hears about that....go run wild at Sam Cal Poly

Run all over them

Redbird Ray
November 18th, 2012, 02:31 PM
ESPN just clearly couldnt give 2 craps about FCS. I would love it if Root Sports or OLN or HD Net would just takeover sole FCS playoff coverage. Yeah it would probably take away some casual eyeballs, but I think the production quality would be much much better.

Sammy94
November 18th, 2012, 02:40 PM
Run all over them
Good luck with that.

kdinva
November 18th, 2012, 02:49 PM
I would have preferred no mention over that fat **** Jay Walker......What a ****.

Jay Walker is a HBCU apologist........ xrulesx

cpalum
November 18th, 2012, 02:50 PM
Good luck with that.

I'm quite aware of Sams run D I'm also well aware of Cal Poly's run O.

Luck won't hurt but they have talent as well

Sammy94
November 18th, 2012, 02:57 PM
How is Cal Poly on the other side of the ball?

CorrosionDoc
November 18th, 2012, 03:07 PM

Is that why the 2nd phone interview was with Bethune-Cookman's head coach? Screw EWU, screw MSU, screw ODU, let's hear from our HBCU rep???

Humble Steward
November 18th, 2012, 03:17 PM
Yeah, pretty comical to see that they had interviews with NDSU head coach (understandable) but then Bethune-Cookman's head coach??? WTF was that? An interview for a team that will be sitting at home in December? Here's hoping you get that chance at MSU because I'd rather not have my eyes bleed due to that horrific field...

Honestly, this did not surprise me at all. Brian Jenkins and the BCU athletic staff have done a wonderful job in promoting the school and focusing on not just playing to win the MEAC conference. Don't be deceived by the "We are just glad to be there comment". We love FCS football and intend to compete at a high level. Jenkins is building a solid program. Believe me, we were hurt not making the playoffs last year, but could only blame ourselves for not winning the automatic bid. Excited to be in the hunt.

sgt smash
November 18th, 2012, 03:27 PM
Bethune-Cookman was on ESPN Classics yesterday. Didn't really know why.

md64179
November 18th, 2012, 03:53 PM
ESPN just clearly couldnt give 2 craps about FCS. I would love it if Root Sports or OLN or HD Net would just takeover sole FCS playoff coverage. Yeah it would probably take away some casual eyeballs, but I think the production quality would be much much better.

This. The selection show is and has been a joke. Unfortunately just the way it is.

slostang
November 18th, 2012, 03:56 PM
Good against the run, not great against the pass.

cpalum
November 18th, 2012, 04:04 PM

Run defense is solid ....pass defense has been a problem at times ; an issue that I'm sure wont get past the Sam Coaching staff

DaBigBlue
November 18th, 2012, 04:11 PM
Think about the hundreds of millions of dollars ESPN has invested in the BCS. Why does it help them to promote FCS.

SpeedkingATL
November 18th, 2012, 06:48 PM
That show was a complete joke. You came away knowing less about the teams than before the show aired. Once upon a time when they showed the matchups they actually would show a few film clips of each team and at least talk a little about them. About the only mention App got was film clips of Armanti Edwards which has absolutely nothing to do with this years playoffs. As has been mentioned, FCS has been pushed as far back in the background as possible on ESPN. As an App fan I would have appreciated a little info about Ill State.

DJnva
November 18th, 2012, 06:50 PM
Bethune-Cookman was on ESPN Classics yesterday. Didn't really know why.

It was a live broadcast. That station puts HBCs on from time to time.

Twentysix
November 18th, 2012, 06:51 PM
That show was a complete joke. You came away knowing less about the teams than before the show aired. Once upon a time when they showed the matchups they actually would show a few film clips of each team and at least talk a little about them. About the only mention App got was film clips of Armanti Edwards which has absolutely nothing to do with this years playoffs. As has been mentioned, FCS has been pushed as far back in the background as possible on ESPN. As an App fan I would have appreciated a little info about Ill State.

The first thing I would tell you is that the show was dead wrong when they picked ISUr as the team that didn't belong in the playoffs. Should be a great game, heres to ISUr winning ofc ;)

sgt smash
November 18th, 2012, 07:00 PM
It was a live broadcast. That station puts HBCs on from time to time.

I saw the live icon in the corner and was surprised. Why HBCU's though?

JSUBison
November 18th, 2012, 11:01 PM

During one of the games he announced this year, he was talking about the greatest nicknames in HBCU football history. It was pretty funny stuff, names like Reggie "Milk Toast" Jones, Harold "Flat Tire" McDonald, Michael " The Windsock" Humphries and so forth. OK, I made those names up, but you get the general idea. His broadcasting partner of course is some stiff white guy. It's like a Richard Pryor/Gene Wilder comedy show listening to them at times. Yeah, Walker isn't the most knowledgeable FCS guy, but he entertains me sometimes.

Humble Steward
November 19th, 2012, 07:46 AM
I saw the live icon in the corner and was surprised. Why HBCU's though?

It was the Florida Classic game between B-CU and FAMU. This game is always broadcasted live on one of the ESPN stations. This game normally draws about 70,000 fans a year. The game was originally sponsored by Disney for several years, but now is sponsored by Blue Cross Blue Shield. Historically, this is a great FCS game and generally determines the MEAC champion.

sgt smash
November 19th, 2012, 07:57 AM
It was the Florida Classic game between B-CU and FAMU. This game is always broadcasted live on one of the ESPN stations. This game normally draws about 70,000 fans a year. The game was originally sponsored by Disney for several years, but now is sponsored by Blue Cross Blue Shield. Historically, this is a great FCS game and generally determines the MEAC champion.

Thanks for the history! I was pretty curious.

Hammerhead
November 19th, 2012, 08:57 AM
The former player on the selection show is the same clown who said last year the playoffs are great because it's lose or go home. :)

coover
November 19th, 2012, 06:55 PM

Perhaps, but my cable company won't carry any of them ... and they don't care.

coover
November 19th, 2012, 07:01 PM
How is Cal Poly on the other side of the ball?You WON"T run on Poly. YOU JUST WON'T. You may complete a pass or two, but your QB better throw quickly, accurately, and not float the pass. And the SH receivers better be READY for a hit. Not a small hit, a very BIG HIT. By the end of the game, many receivers do not want the pass thrown their way.

Poly won't shut you out. But your offense will not want to be on the field late in the game. They will be very, very sore.

Twentysix
November 19th, 2012, 07:03 PM
You WON"T run on Poly. YOU JUST WON'T. You may complete a pass or two, but your QB better throw quickly, accurately, and not float the pass. And the SH receivers better be READY for a hit. Not a small hit, a very BIG HIT. By the end of the game, many receivers do not want the pass thrown their way.

Poly won't shut you out. But your offense will not want to be on the field late in the game. They will be very, very sore.

Hit their QB hard once and he falls apart. ;)

NoDak 4 Ever
November 19th, 2012, 07:18 PM
Hit their QB hard once and he falls apart. ;)

Did he even get hit? He was falling over before anyone got to him.

Nickels
November 19th, 2012, 10:53 PM
You WON"T run on Poly. YOU JUST WON'T.
Same thing we heard last year from the BSC until 428 & 383 rushing yards later...

Twentysix
November 19th, 2012, 10:58 PM
Same thing we heard last year from the BSC until 428 & 383 rushing yards later...

It amazes me that SHSU put up those numbers then couldn't even muster 100 against NDSU. Those big sky defenses are so cute.

Nickels
November 19th, 2012, 11:06 PM
It amazes me that SHSU put up those numbers then couldn't even muster 100 against NDSU. Those big sky defenses are so cute.
Can't disagree with you there.

ngineer
November 19th, 2012, 11:14 PM

No sympathy here. I'd have loved for not a word said about Lehigh but seen us in a bracket versus anyone.