PDA

View Full Version : Big South, Two Bids?

SOCON DOMINATES
November 18th, 2012, 12:56 PM
Have heard the argument and seen the results for Stony, but how many tourney wins has the BSouth had in its history? To me this is like the SoCon looking for two bids to the big dance? It is not going to happen.

Libertine
November 18th, 2012, 01:00 PM
Have heard the argument and seen the results for Stony, but how many tourney wins has the BSouth had in its history? To me this is like the SoCon looking for two bids to the big dance? It is not going to happen.

Stony Brook won in the first round against Albany just last year and took national finalist Sam Houston to the wire before bowing out. Thanks for playing, RU4GSU

walliver
November 18th, 2012, 01:29 PM
I have no problems with Stony Brook, Coastal, however, is a problem. CCU has displaced a good team from the playoffs.

The Big South probably shouldn't have a AQ in the future. Stony Brook is on their way out, and CCU and Liberty are looking to leave.

fc97
November 19th, 2012, 07:25 AM
I have no problems with Stony Brook, Coastal, however, is a problem. CCU has displaced a good team from the playoffs.

The Big South probably shouldn't have a AQ in the future. Stony Brook is on their way out, and CCU and Liberty are looking to leave.

as soon as you start saying things like this, you'll get the big boys of ncaa basketball validating their reasons to keep aq teams out because, well, the aren't duke or kentucky types.

just because coastal and liberty are looking to leave doesnt mean they have left. and as long as the big south maintains its requirements for aq, they should keep it just like the ovc and meac.

this sort of attitude above sounds an awful like the bcs attitude.

Skyhawk71
November 19th, 2012, 07:38 AM
I think it was pretty obvious that the Big South was going to get two when Liberty beat Stony Brook; I also think the same people on this board that are mad that the Big South got two, would be mad anyway because I think that you would have had EKU in, and a thread......OVC, Two Bids? Also had the Big South & NEC not gotten their AQ's there would be no playoff expansion, and you would still have the same bitch fest from all of the teams that got left out, and there would have been more of them

knucklehead
November 19th, 2012, 07:43 AM
The Big South Tie breaker is a joke. in a perfect world SBU gets the auto and that is all. When CCU got the auto that put the committee in a place to consider SBUs record. I think the Army win must have pushed them over the top. It's just hard to believe Richmond and Lehigh got left out. And as a Liberty fan it's hard to believe we didn't get the At large in the same circumstances. But again it mush have been the win vs 2 win Army that did it.

SBU will likely make a run in the playoffs. Coastal, not so much.

Appattk
November 19th, 2012, 08:58 AM
Stony did beat an FBS opponent... Although you can argue that Army isn't that good it's still looks good on paper... I believe that's the reason they're in and Lehigh isn't...

knucklehead
November 19th, 2012, 09:01 AM
I think all 3 of the top Big South teams (SBU, LU, CCU), all 3 could have beaten Army this year. But I agree, that is why they are in - SOS.

Libertine
November 19th, 2012, 09:16 AM
I certainly don't begrudge Stony Brook their spot in the playoffs. They were one of the best teams in the country this year and one of the best ever to come through Williams Stadium.
HOWEVER, Newsday is reporting that the Big South conference office lobbied on Stony Brook's behalf to make sure they were included. Of course, that's their job which they should have done but they also should have been doing it for years now. Why KK and Kompany would actively lobby for a team that is literally on its way out of the conference but couldn't be bothered to lift a finger on Liberty's behalf from 2008-2010, even in token protest, is beyond me and is just another example of why LU wants out. Apparently, ABL -- Anyone But Liberty -- extends all the way to the conference office.

knucklehead
November 19th, 2012, 09:43 AM
I certainly don't begrudge Stony Brook their spot in the playoffs. They were one of the best teams in the country this year and one of the best ever to come through Williams Stadium.
HOWEVER, Newsday is reporting that the Big South conference office lobbied on Stony Brook's behalf to make sure they were included. Of course, that's their job which they should have done but they also should have been doing it for years now. Why KK and Kompany would actively lobby for a team that is literally on its way out of the conference but couldn't be bothered to lift a finger on Liberty's behalf from 2008-2010, even in token protest, is beyond me and is just another example of why LU wants out. Apparently, ABL -- Anyone But Liberty -- extends all the way to the conference office.

Perfectly stated. KK and crew never did one thing to help LU get in. AD Barber seemed to be the only voice crying out for LU to be in. Stony Brook is a very good team, but I just thought they would get the same treatment LU had gotten. I also feel very badly for former LU HC Danny Rocco who got left out yet again.

rokamortis
November 19th, 2012, 11:07 AM

Wow ...

The answer is it sets a precedent for two teams getting in.

But do you think the BSC really has any clout? Also, who is the Big South rep on the committee this year?

Libertine
November 19th, 2012, 11:56 AM
Wow ...

The answer is it sets a precedent for two teams getting in.

But do you think the BSC really has any clout? Also, who is the Big South rep on the committee this year?

You're missing the point. Setting the precedent is good and Stony Brook deserved to be in; I'm not debating either of those. Does the BSC have any clout is irrelevant to my frustration as this is apparently the first time they've decided to swing whatever clout they do or do not have. I am glad they gave a conference team help but it is telling that it took so long for them to get involved.

rokamortis
November 19th, 2012, 12:00 PM
You're missing the point. Setting the precedent is good and Stony Brook deserved to be in; I'm not debating either of those. Does the BSC have any clout is irrelevant to my frustration as this is apparently the first time they've decided to swing whatever clout they do or do not have. I am glad they gave a conference team help but it is telling that it took so long for them to get involved.

Do you know for a fact or have any proof that they did not lobby in previous seasons? Or specifically did not lobby for Liberty?

Libertine
November 27th, 2012, 07:31 AM
Do you know for a fact or have any proof that they did not lobby in previous seasons? Or specifically did not lobby for Liberty?

I know this for a fact. In fact, when 10-2 Liberty was left out in 2008, it was not until after the Big South coaches' meetings in the spring when the other coaches -- led by David Bennett, incidentally -- as a group lit into KK himself about Liberty's exclusion being "an outrage" (Bennett's words not mine) that the conference even acknowledged it had even happened. KK ended up saying he was going to write an official letter to the selection committee which I'm sure carried a lot of weight four months after the fact.

rokamortis
November 27th, 2012, 07:47 AM
I know this for a fact. In fact, when 10-2 Liberty was left out in 2008, it was not until after the Big South coaches' meetings in the spring when the other coaches -- led by David Bennett, incidentally -- as a group lit into KK himself about Liberty's exclusion being "an outrage" (Bennett's words not mine) that the conference even acknowledged it had even happened. KK ended up saying he was going to write an official letter to the selection committee which I'm sure carried a lot of weight four months after the fact.

Although I doubt they have any real clout, I agree they should actively lobby for any school in that situation and disappointed they didn't. I guess we'll see the next time you are in that situation if they step up to help you guys.

Professor Chaos
November 27th, 2012, 09:13 AM
I'm sure the committee's response was don't schedule two D2 games. 10-2 is misleading, Liberty was 8-2 that year. Consequently, it was the same 8-2 record as Stony Brook had this year but without an FBS victory. Stony Brook was one of the last two at large teams in this year so had it been a 16 team field like it was in 2008 the Big South could've very well gotten no bids just like that year. I think the Big South just ended up on the fortunate side of the circumstances this year to get two bids rather than it being some sort of "make up call". And kudos to the conference for winning both their games!

WileECoyote06
November 27th, 2012, 10:21 AM
Stony Brook, CCU, and Liberty were co-champions, right? This is the third straight year they've done this, and we really shouldn't be surprised.
2010. . . BCU beats ranked South Carolina State, loses to FAMU; SCSU beats FAMU; BCU wins the autobid; SCSU got an invite; FAMU left out.
2011 . ..TTU beats ranked JaxState, beats EKU; EKU beats ranked JaxState and loses to TTU; JSU lost to both; TTU wins autobid, EKU gets an invite; JSU left out.
2012 . . .CCU beats Liberty; loses to Stony Brook; Stony Brook beats CCU; loses to Liberty; Liberty beats ranked Stony Brook; CCU wins autobid; Stony Brook gets invite; Liberty left out.

My brain completely farted on my predictions.

Monarch History
November 27th, 2012, 10:54 AM
My brain completely farted on my predictions.

xlolx xlolx xlolx

Libertine
November 27th, 2012, 01:25 PM
I'm sure the committee's response was don't schedule two D2 games. 10-2 is misleading, Liberty was 8-2 that year. Consequently, it was the same 8-2 record as Stony Brook had this year but without an FBS victory. Stony Brook was one of the last two at large teams in this year so had it been a 16 team field like it was in 2008 the Big South could've very well gotten no bids just like that year. I think the Big South just ended up on the fortunate side of the circumstances this year to get two bids rather than it being some sort of "make up call". And kudos to the conference for winning both their games!

We covered this ground years ago and I'm not going to re-hash it now. My point is and has been that, this year, the Big South lobbied for at-large inclusion of a conference member which is something that they should have been doing all along but wouldn't.

Redwyn
November 27th, 2012, 01:45 PM
We covered this ground years ago and I'm not going to re-hash it now. My point is and has been that, this year, the Big South lobbied for at-large inclusion of a conference member which is something that they should have been doing all along but wouldn't.

I like Kallander (sp), far more than I like the current America East (SBU's all sports conference) commish. KK is pushing for raising the stature of the conference, both in media and in marketing. I like that, and he's doing it in ways that are beyond the capabilities of other Mid-Major commissioners.

That said, being a commish is a learning experience. Perhaps he figured out the level of political gamesmanship in playoff selection based on the Liberty snub, and decided to act. Now I'm not commenting on Liberty's right to have been included in those playoffs, or on the quality of the team in any manner. But it's reasonable to believe that KK learned that part of being a football commish is to be a good lobbyist and influence pusher. Maybe he learned this year.

That said, has to look good for the Big South to have 2 playoff wins this season (esp over the CAA champion), tripling the conference's total number. Even though SBU's departing, I expect it to pay dividends in the future.