PDA

View Full Version : ASU/GSU/JMU to the FBS? / Eastern Conf Realignment

Pages : [1] 2

PAllen
November 18th, 2012, 10:19 AM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8644587/maryland-terrapins-rutgers-scarlet-knights-talks-join-big-ten-conference-sources-say

I hate to interrupt the middle of playoff selection time (one of the most exciting times in FCS), but there are now "sources" saying that Maryland and Rutgers may be on their way to the Big10. Assuming the ACC goes after UConn (or even Umass?), does this leave an opening for Big East or MAC invites to ASU, JMU, and/or GSU? Or does the Big East/MAC go after some Conference USA teams, and thus the dominoes continue down the line? I'd be interested in any thoughts or "sourced" rumors over the coming days and weeks out of our friends down south.

walliver
November 18th, 2012, 11:56 AM
I can no longer remember who is still in C-USA or who has gone to the Big Least.

I doubt C-USA goes for either of the 3 teams you mentioned. They already have ODO in Va, UNCC in NC, and I don't think they want the Statesboro Market. If CUSA raids the Sunbelt, spots could open up for ASU and GSU, JMU is well out of the CUSA footprint and would probably have to hope for a MAC defection.

Apphole
November 18th, 2012, 12:11 PM
I can no longer remember who is still in C-USA or who has gone to the Big Least.

I doubt C-USA goes for either of the 3 teams you mentioned. They already have ODO in Va, UNCC in NC, and I don't think they want the Statesboro Market. If CUSA raids the Sunbelt, spots could open up for ASU and GSU, JMU is well out of the CUSA footprint and would probably have to hope for a MAC defection.

What is this "CUSA footprint" you speak of?

DFW HOYA
November 18th, 2012, 12:13 PM
[URL]. Assuming the ACC goes after UConn (or even Umass?), does this leave an opening for Big East or MAC invites to ASU, JMU, and/or GSU?

No.

walliver
November 18th, 2012, 01:34 PM
What is this "CUSA footprint" you speak of?

It should have been SunBelt footprint.

CUSA limits itself to teams that are the 3d or 4th most popular teams in large markets (which doesn't explain ECU, but I wonder if the current CUSA would bring in a team from the Greenville NC market)

ITmonarch10
November 18th, 2012, 02:23 PM

CUSA limits itself to teams that are the 3d or 4th most popular teams in large markets (which doesn't explain ECU, but I wonder if the current CUSA would bring in a team from the Greenville NC market)

ECU/Marshall were invited before the era of Huge TV contracts and attendance was king. I could sworn App State was invited around 2001 or so to join a FBS conference as well.

mainejeff
November 18th, 2012, 02:31 PM
Big East Football won't exist after they lose Rutgers and UConn. Boise State and San Diego State will return to the Mountain West (or maybe go to the Big 12). Who else is in the Big East again? Louisville (ACC/Big 12?), Cincinnati, Memphis, SMU.......what a freakin mess!

AppMan
November 18th, 2012, 03:03 PM
If this goes through and UConn replaces Maryland I'm still not sure ECU gets a BE invite. With the conference making a decidedly southeastern/western turn I could see Tulane and Tulsa being the next two in given they offer the number 53 and 61 national markets. Greenville rolls in at 103 and Hattiesburg at 167. Don't think that is what the Big East is looking for. My hope is CUSA decides to go to at least 16 teams by adding ASU, JMU, MTSU & TBA. East: ASU, Char, ECU, FIU, JMU, Marshall , ODU and TBA. West: La Tech, MTSU, N Texas, Rice, S Miss, UAB, UTEP & UTSA.

superman7515
November 19th, 2012, 10:55 AM
Maryland accepts invite to Big Ten.

Maryland Accepts Big Ten Invitation (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/8651934/maryland-terrapins-accept-invitation-join-big-ten)

Lehigh Football Nation
November 19th, 2012, 10:57 AM
What if you substituted

Assuming the ACC goes after UConn (or even Umass?), does this leave an opening for Big East or MAC invites to ASU, JMU, and/or GSU?

with

Assuming the ACC goes after Villanova, does this leave an opening for Big East or MAC invites to ASU, JMU, and/or GSU?

DFW HOYA
November 19th, 2012, 11:00 AM
What if you substituted ...Villanova...

Ehh, no.

But hey, maybe here's Penn's chance to jump. They've got the stadium and the media market, sort of. xlolx

WileECoyote06
November 19th, 2012, 11:00 AM

ECU is the fourth most popular team in the NC market.

RadioFan
November 19th, 2012, 11:01 AM
ACC will try to grab UConn no doubt.

Laker
November 19th, 2012, 11:56 AM
I used to get a program to identify the players. Now I'll need one to identify the teams. xconfusedx

aceinthehole
November 19th, 2012, 12:18 PM
ACC will try to grab UConn no doubt.

The ACC doesn't have to try, the remaining Big East members are desperate for a life raft. The ACC will get to choose who they want - UConn or L'ville?

Laker
November 19th, 2012, 12:19 PM
The ACC doesn't have to try, the remaining Big East members are desperate for a life raft. The ACC will get to choose who they want - UConn or L'ville?

I wonder if Louisville will try to get into the Big 12?

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 19th, 2012, 12:21 PM
The Big East is going to need to make another move imo. Umass might be headed there sooner rather than later.

We are not getting the exposure we did in the Big East for football like we did in the MAC. The weeknight games are a gimmick, but they're a gimmick that actually works.

aceinthehole
November 19th, 2012, 12:29 PM
I wonder if Louisville will try to get into the Big 12?

You bet, they just want out of the Big East.

UConn's only hope is the ACC. Louisville is likely reaching out to both the ACC and the BigXII. Cincy's best chance is to go to the Big XII w/ the L'ville.

The rest of the Big East is looking at C-USA and the MWC for replacements.

walliver
November 19th, 2012, 12:50 PM
You bet, they just want out of the Big East.

UConn's only hope is the ACC. Louisville is likely reaching out to both the ACC and the BigXII. Cincy's best chance is to go to the Big XII w/ the L'ville.

The rest of the Big East is looking at C-USA and the MWC for replacements.

I'm not sure how attractive the Big East to CUSA and MWC teams anymore. The BE will not be a player in BCS in the future. The only schools that would show great interest would be schools that emphasize basketball over football.

DFW HOYA
November 19th, 2012, 12:55 PM
What the heck does Cincinnati add to the Big 12? UC is not much different than Houston and a time zone removed.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 19th, 2012, 12:58 PM
What the heck does Cincinnati add to the Big 12? UC is not much different than Houston and a time zone removed.

"TV Market" xlolx

That Cincy is considered a better get than Villanova tells you everything you need to know about realignmentageddon. Oh yeah, and BC will still never, ever, let UConn into the ACC.

knucklehead
November 19th, 2012, 12:58 PM
This can do nothing but boost Liberty's FBS invite chances big time. It will all shake out and filter down and LU will get an invite in the next few years.
I keep hearing JMU's name in these discussions but I have yet to see where the admin has said they want to move. Am I missing something?

GATA_Eagles
November 19th, 2012, 01:00 PM
Hopefully Kleinlein will be able to garner some attention from the Sun Belt/CUSA and we'll be picked up this round. Stadium expansion has passed and voted on by the board of regents. Football operations center construction and stadium expansion should start at the same time -- which should be fairly soon. All the pieces are falling into place here in Statesboro!

aceinthehole
November 19th, 2012, 01:01 PM
"TV Market" xlolx

That Cincy is considered a better get than Villanova tells you everything you need to know about realignmentageddon. Oh yeah, and BC will still never, ever, let UConn into the ACC.

Come on, let's not use words like NEVER. Fact is BC just doesn't carry that clout anymore in the current scenario.

Yes, BC got its way by adding Pitt instead of UConn, but now the ACC almost has no choice but to take UConn over any objections from BC (and FSU and Clemson).

The Eagle's Cliff
November 19th, 2012, 01:05 PM
The dominoes are falling and for a few years we're going to operate under the Big 5 plus "Group of 5" FBS Conference mode.

From Georgia Southern's perspective, we just want to be somewhere. FCS is becoming less marketable in spite of the good "product" on the field.

Apphole
November 19th, 2012, 01:06 PM
Hopefully Kleinlein will be able to garner some attention from the Sun Belt/CUSA and we'll be picked up this round. Stadium expansion has passed and voted on by the board of regents. Football operations center construction and stadium expansion should start at the same time -- which should be fairly soon. All the pieces are falling into place here in Statesboro!

GaSo has a chance only if no less than 3 spots open up. JMU and App are ahead of the eagles in the FBS line. When I say ahead in line, I mean 100 million+ dollars and millions in stadium enhancements ahead.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 19th, 2012, 01:17 PM
Come on, let's not use words like NEVER. Fact is BC just doesn't carry that clout anymore in the current scenario.

Yes, BC got its way by adding Pitt instead of UConn, but now the ACC almost has no choice but to take UConn over any objections from BC (and FSU and Clemson).

I'm missing as to why the ACC has "no choice" but to take UConn. They could really get anybody where there's a gap in the market up the East Coast and there's no entrenched competition.

This is why Villanova makes more sense than people realize. Not only does Syracuse/Villanova now suddenly come back into play in hoops, now Nova becomes "top dog" again in the Philadelphia area over Temple. They would like NOTHING better than to put Temple in their place by moving. And if you think the ACC would balk at Syracuse/Nova in hoops every year over a transitioning Villanova football team in PPL Park, you're nuts.

DFW HOYA
November 19th, 2012, 01:22 PM
On an unrelated matter, anything new on the PL expansion front? The football expansion talk is at low tide.

The Eagle's Cliff
November 19th, 2012, 01:42 PM
GaSo has a chance only if no less than 3 spots open up. JMU and App are ahead of the eagles in the FBS line. When I say ahead in line, I mean 100 million+ dollars and millions in stadium enhancements ahead.

You're probably right. If we get an invitation, we'll grow quickly. Middle Tenn, WKU, Troy, and Southern Miss won't have the "FBS" factor to win recruiting battles against us in Georgia. People forget that Georgia Southern Football is very young and we have the youngest alumni base in the SoCon, Sunbelt, CUSA. Patience grasshopper xthumbsupx

Increases in market share within the radius of Savannah (55 mi/1hr), Macon (120 mi/1.5hr), and Augusta (75 mi/1.25hr) will come with FBS football.

Apphole
November 19th, 2012, 01:44 PM
You're probably right. If we get an invitation, we'll grow quickly. Middle Tenn, WKU, Troy, and Southern Miss won't have the "FBS" factor to win recruiting battles against us in Georgia. People forget that Georgia Southern Football is very young and we have the youngest alumni base in the SoCon, Sunbelt, CUSA. Patience grasshopper xthumbsupx

Increases in market share within the radius of Savannah (55 mi/1hr), Macon (120 mi/1.5hr), and Augusta (75 mi/1.25hr) will come with FBS football.

I can see GaSo becoming the ECU of Georgia. That is the first time I've used that term outside of an insult about academics xlolx.

aceinthehole
November 19th, 2012, 01:53 PM
I'm missing as to why the ACC has "no choice" but to take UConn. They could really get anybody where there's a gap in the market up the East Coast and there's no entrenched competition.

This is why Villanova makes more sense than people realize. Not only does Syracuse/Villanova now suddenly come back into play in hoops, now Nova becomes "top dog" again in the Philadelphia area over Temple. They would like NOTHING better than to put Temple in their place by moving. And if you think the ACC would balk at Syracuse/Nova in hoops every year over a transitioning Villanova football team in PPL Park, you're nuts.

The ACC is not worried about its hoops - it has UNC, Duke, 'Cuse, Pitt, NCSU, and more than enough to keep it an elite conference on that end. They aren't worried about the 'Nova or Temple in the Philly basketball market. This is about football and keeping the ACC among the "Power 6" and not being relegated into the "Group of Five" where the Big East currently lies. FSU, Miami, Georgia Tech, and Clemson need the stromngest football program/market available. Therefore, the ACC is adding a football member - so unless ND joins for FB, right now that choice is basically UConn or L'ville.

Eagle11
November 19th, 2012, 02:05 PM

I wouldn't be so sure about that. You guys have been soliciting a bid for years and haven't heard anything about it. Your stadium enhancements don't mean anything in this process. Look at Georgia State.

Go Green
November 19th, 2012, 02:14 PM
The ACC is not worried about its hoops.

And I guess that Maryland isn't worried about its lacrosse.

Going from ACC (especially with Syracuse coming in) to the Big 10 is a pretty big drop in competition.

Apphole
November 19th, 2012, 02:16 PM
I wouldn't be so sure about that. You guys have been soliciting a bid for years and haven't heard anything about it. Your stadium enhancements don't mean anything in this process. Look at Georgia State.

We are 3 years and hundreds of millions of dollars ahead of schedule than Georgia Southern and we are in the exact same boat with regards to physical proximity to media markets. I'm not slighting you, it's just a fact. I sincerely hope we move to the SBC together.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 19th, 2012, 02:20 PM
The ACC is not worried about its hoops - it has UNC, Duke, 'Cuse, Pitt, NCSU, and more than enough to keep it an elite conference on that end. They aren't worried about the 'Nova or Temple in the Philly basketball market. This is about football and keeping the ACC among the "Power 6" and not being relegated into the "Group of Five" where the Big East currently lies. FSU, Miami, Georgia Tech, and Clemson need the stromngest football program/market available. Therefore, the ACC is adding a football member - so unless ND joins for FB, right now that choice is basically UConn or L'ville.

They're not worried about hoops, but if an elite, historic program falls in their laps and they need a football school, do they really say no?

fc97
November 19th, 2012, 02:26 PM
the acc has plenty of options. louisville, army, navy, uconn, notre dame will be in for football when their contract expires.

tribe_pride
November 19th, 2012, 03:00 PM

Going from ACC (especially with Syracuse coming in) to the Big 10 is a pretty big drop in competition.

There were only 4 teams in the ACC lacrosse (UVA, Duke and UNC) so in reality it's only replacing 3 games if none of those 3 schools will play Maryland OOC. Maryland did not play some of the top 10 teams this past year so there could be your replacements.

ITmonarch10
November 19th, 2012, 03:23 PM
Maryland accepts invite to Big Ten.

Maryland Accepts Big Ten Invitation (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/8651934/maryland-terrapins-accept-invitation-join-big-ten)

Does this even hurt the ACC in football or even basketball that much. Maryland been sucking for a long time and being in the big 10 isn't going to suddenly make them better. I think whats going to suck are the separation of old rivals.
ACC can still pick off Louisville, UCONN, ect and actually improve slightly in football and basketball.

Now the Big East is ****ing doomed. They just loss Rutgers and at least Louisville/UConn is next. At Least ECU will like this.

Good news though for schools trying to move up to the FBS level. JMU, App, and GSU might get a call soon.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 19th, 2012, 03:28 PM
If the ACC bites the order of preference will be Louisville, followed by Nova, followed by UConn. Trust me.

ITmonarch10
November 19th, 2012, 03:30 PM
If the ACC bites the order of preference will be Louisville, followed by Nova, followed by UConn. Trust me.

Nova doesn't have football with enough attendance. Also, It not like the ACC is losing much in basketball with Pitt and Syracuse coming in.

MplsBison
November 19th, 2012, 03:35 PM

On the other hand, should be a guaranteed autobid until midwestern college lacrosse "catches up" (by hiring away top east coast coaches and signing top east coast talent).

MplsBison
November 19th, 2012, 03:36 PM
If Big Ten wants 16 - who is most likely?

Kansas and Virginia make sense to me. What about North Carolina? If UVA goes, why not UNC?

aceinthehole
November 19th, 2012, 03:37 PM

Only in your world.

The ACC is leaning heavily toward adding a 14th team to replace Maryland and has two favorites for the spot -- UConn and Louisville -- according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

The ACC is also in talks with South Florida and Cincinnati, according to the source, and could add "pretty quickly." Factors on the decision include geography and television market viability, on-field performance and academic success.

All eyes are on the ACC as it protects its own after the Big Ten poached Maryland, a founding member. The league was blindsided by the move but wasn't totally shocked given Maryland's struggling financial department and the school's administrative turnover without an allegiance to the conference's tradition.

This isn't great timing for the Big East, which is immersed in television negotiations with ESPN, NBC Sports Network and others.

Among the four, Louisville's probably a better football/basketball program pound-for-pound, but UConn is the better TV market.
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/jeremy-fowler/21057778/source-acc-in-talks-with-uconn-louisville-south-florida-cincinnati-for-maryland-replacement

The Big Ten joins the SEC as a legitimate 14-team superconference, while the ACC drops to 13 football members and likely will pursue another all-sports member to get back to 14. Connecticut would emerge as the most likely candidate to fill Maryland's spot in the ACC. http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/8649670/maryland-terrapins-regents-vote-big-ten-move-monday

frozennorth
November 19th, 2012, 03:38 PM
as a big10 fan, i'm pretty disgusted right now.

GannonFan
November 19th, 2012, 03:41 PM

You're delusional. I'm not sure why you have this apparent dislike of UConn. I don't care for them personally, but UConn is far, far more attractive of a pickup than nova ever will be. Football obviously drives the boat in every alignment so far, and nova still has nothing to add to those coffers. The Philly market is now fully Big 10 dominated in terms of football coverage - that ship has sailed. nova offers nothing to the ACC other than a nice basketball program that at times (not now apparently) is very, very good. All the problems that existed for nova football remain - no stadium, no funds to step up, and no fanbase to step up with. And if anything, these moves even hurt them more since they won't be bringing the football TV market with them either. UConn has a stadium, plenty of money, and a large fanbase, plus they secure the ACC's presense in the Northeast markets with BC and Syracuse. nova-Syracuse is a nice rivalry, but UConn/BC and UConn/Syracuse are just as nice.

ITmonarch10
November 19th, 2012, 03:45 PM
as a big10 fan, i'm pretty disgusted right now.

Do you even want these teams as a b10 fan.

As an ACC fan, Ill miss the basketball Rivalries ,but overall its will probably end up an all around gain in Football and basketball whoever we get. Maryland has been sucking so much and had some football scandals.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 19th, 2012, 03:46 PM
Among the four, Louisville's probably a better football/basketball program pound-for-pound, but UConn is the better TV market.

And Louisville doesn't have a president in the conference dead-set against their inclusion. Advantage: Louisville.

aceinthehole
November 19th, 2012, 03:47 PM
You're delusional. I'm not sure why you have this apparent dislike of UConn. I don't care for them personally, but UConn is far, far more attractive of a pickup than nova ever will be. Football obviously drives the boat in every alignment so far, and nova still has nothing to add to those coffers. The Philly market is now fully Big 10 dominated in terms of football coverage - that ship has sailed. nova offers nothing to the ACC other than a nice basketball program that at times (not now apparently) is very, very good. All the problems that existed for nova football remain - no stadium, no funds to step up, and no fanbase to step up with. And if anything, these moves even hurt them more since they won't be bringing the football TV market with them either. UConn has a stadium, plenty of money, and a large fanbase, plus they secure the ACC's presense in the Northeast markets with BC and Syracuse. nova-Syracuse is a nice rivalry, but UConn/BC and UConn/Syracuse are just as nice.

Is that really news to you? :)

GF, I agree. I'm not a UConn fan either (they rob the State blind), and I can see a possibility where L'ville gets an invite to the ACC, but only in LFN bizzaro world would 'Nova rank ahead of UConn as a candidate to join the ACC.

frozennorth
November 19th, 2012, 03:48 PM
Do you even want these teams as a b10 fan.

As an ACC fan, Ill miss the basketball Rivalries ,but overall its will probably end up an all around gain in Football and basketball whoever we get. Maryland has been sucking so much and had some football scandals.
absolutely not.

tribe_pride
November 19th, 2012, 03:49 PM
LFN - I'll bite. Why is the order the way you have them? Most seem to put UConn on equal footing or ahead of Louisville with Nova at the end. If Nova had an existing FBS football squad, I could see putting them higher but they don't..

Just wondering why you have them higher and UConn as low on the list as you do.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 19th, 2012, 03:51 PM
I don't hate UConn - I grew up in the state and lived there a huge hunk of my life. But folks are putting UConn in the front seat of the Maryland replacement train without putting any thought to the politics at play. People think BC's president is just going to step aside and allow a major threat to his program to replace Maryland. That's delusional.

As for Nova, I have always felt the "reasons" for not going to go up to FBS have been massively overblown, and with Temple in the Big East they now have a lot more motivation to GTFO of the Big East.

The Eagle's Cliff
November 19th, 2012, 03:56 PM
I can see GaSo becoming the ECU of Georgia. That is the first time I've used that term outside of an insult about academics xlolx.

Our academic "troubles" are a function of the Hope Scholarship packing regional universities and state colleges with kids who had no business in college. It made the enrollment numbers look good, but graduation and retention are pitiful. It'll take another several years for the numbers to level out, but Georgia eliminated about 90% of Hope Scholars and the technical colleges and junior colleges are filling up with the students who were going to Georgia Southern, Valdosta State, and Kennesaw State.

We actually would be quite happy with being the "ECU" or "USM" of Georgia.

MplsBison
November 19th, 2012, 04:08 PM
Well if the Big Ten adds Virginia and North Carolina, then the ACC can add all three of UConn, Louisville and South Florida.

aceinthehole
November 19th, 2012, 04:21 PM
I don't hate UConn - I grew up in the state and lived there a huge hunk of my life. But folks are putting UConn in the front seat of the Maryland replacement train without putting any thought to the politics at play. People think BC's president is just going to step aside and allow a major threat to his program to replace Maryland. That's delusional.

As for Nova, I have always felt the "reasons" for not going to go up to FBS have been massively overblown, and with Temple in the Big East they now have a lot more motivation to GTFO of the Big East.

As the saying goes, money talks and bs walk. BC is not in a position of strength anymore - they are just 1 vote in the ACC.

Second, the BC athletic director who come out publiclly against UConn (and also leaked that ESPN heavily influenced the ACC on who to pick), quietly backed away from those comments. In fact, some suggest that PR gaff, as well as the horrible state of BC's athletic program, caused him to announce his retirement. He is not the currenet AD at Boston College.

BC may not want UConn in an ideal world, but they just don't have the power to block an invite. Now, if BC could form a bloc with FSU, Clemson, and GTech in getting the ACC to pick L'ville, then maybe UConn gets left out. But the ACC will not have the votes to invite 'Nova over UConn, period.

Go Green
November 19th, 2012, 04:56 PM
It not like the ACC is losing much in basketball with Pitt and Syracuse coming in.

They lose a lot of the greater DC media market.

walliver
November 19th, 2012, 05:03 PM
The real issue for the ACC is "What will FSU do?"

FSU voted against raising the exit fee, which reinforces the idea that they are looking around. If FSU is leaving, the ACC is at-risk of becoming a mid-atlantic conference. Unless FSU promises to stay, the ACC needs to look at USF (yes, it is on the GULF coast, but Pittsburgh is on no coast).

RadioFan
November 19th, 2012, 05:13 PM
They lose a lot of the greater DC media market.

As someone from the DC area, VT has a much stronger fan base in the DC area.

RadioFan
November 19th, 2012, 05:14 PM
Well if the Big Ten adds Virginia and North Carolina, then the ACC can add all three of UConn, Louisville and South Florida.

No way does UNC leave the ACC. Not a chance in hell. UNC/Duke/UVA is the ACC. They hold on the power. Would Ohio State or Michigan leave the B1G for BigXII? Nope.

Apphole
November 19th, 2012, 05:23 PM
No way does UNC leave the ACC. Not a chance in hell. UNC/Duke/UVA is the ACC. They hold on the power. Nope.

Yeah they've got the East Coast Douchebag Market cornered pretty well.

App1928
November 19th, 2012, 06:25 PM
disappointing thread....

Mr. C
November 19th, 2012, 11:09 PM

Villanova and the ACC had talks during all of the Big East courting dance. Villanova actually applied for membership in the ACC from what sources told me. The ACC didn't want Villanova then because the football program would have taken three to four years to build into a competitive FBS program. The rest of the ACC didn't want to wait that long.

Mr. C
November 19th, 2012, 11:24 PM
ECU/Marshall were invited before the era of Huge TV contracts and attendance was king. I could sworn App State was invited around 2001 or so to join a FBS conference as well.

No, Appalachian State has never had an official FBS invite. What people might not know, however, is that there were some discussions among a group of ADs in Pittsburgh in 1995 that could have resulted in a brand new FBS conference at the time. Some of the schools that were at that meeting were Appalachian State, Marshall, Georgia Southern, The Citadel, Army and Navy. Can't recall any others off the top of my head. I'd have to look at the story I wrote at the time (which is currently located in the dark recesses of my garage with hundreds of other newspaper sports sections from the past 35 years).

That meeting, incidently, was the first thing that led to a pretty sizable feud between a certain ASU athletic director and the sports editor of the local newspaper, one that didn't work out well for the AD. The AD lied about the meeting and then the next day, there was a story in the Winston-Salem Journal about it.

superman7515
November 19th, 2012, 11:26 PM
disappointing thread....

And not even a single knock knock joke. People have really lost the stomach for this realignment crap.

dgtw
November 20th, 2012, 04:13 AM
Maryland and Rutgers both have lacrosse teams for each gender. Does anybody else in the Big Ten sponsor lacrosse? Every other sport they have seems to be covered. They both wrestle, which is an important sport in the Big Ten.

walliver
November 20th, 2012, 06:13 AM
Maryland and Rutgers both have lacrosse teams for each gender. Does anybody else in the Big Ten sponsor lacrosse? Every other sport they have seems to be covered. They both wrestle, which is an important sport in the Big Ten.

The current realignment boom is driven by four sports:
1) Football
2) Football
3) Football
4) Basketball

Lehigh Football Nation
November 20th, 2012, 07:39 AM
Maybe the Patriot League can allow Maryland and Rutgers in "lacrosse-only"... and I'm not kidding.

WUTNDITWAA
November 20th, 2012, 07:43 AM
1) Football
2) Football
3) Football
4) Basketball

I think you have basketball listed a little high, Walliver.

Apphole
November 20th, 2012, 08:41 AM
The current realignment boom is driven by four things:
1) Physical proximity to major media markets
(enormous gap)
2) Football
3) Basketball
Last) Lacrosse

FIFY

PAllen
November 20th, 2012, 08:55 AM

Look for the Big 10 to start sponsoring Lacrosse with Michigan, OSU, Maryland, Butler, Denver, Air Force (and I'm missing someone, Detroit Mercy maybe?).

PAllen
November 20th, 2012, 08:57 AM
Maybe the Patriot League can allow Maryland and Rutgers in "lacrosse-only"... and I'm not kidding.

Why? How big of a "super conference" do we need? Isn't half of the top 25 good enough?

PAllen
November 20th, 2012, 09:02 AM
As someone from the DC area, VT has a much stronger fan base in the DC area.

I agree in FB, but for hoops, Maryland has this city pretty well wrapped up with Georgetown and Mason coming way before UVa and VT.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 20th, 2012, 09:07 AM
Why? How big of a "super conference" do we need? Isn't half of the top 25 good enough?

You can always make room for former national champions. I'm quite comfortable with the Patriot League becoming the SEC of Lacrosse.

Thanks, Mr. Delany!

Go Green
November 20th, 2012, 09:49 AM
Look for the Big 10 to start sponsoring Lacrosse with Michigan, OSU, Maryland, Butler, Denver, Air Force (and I'm missing someone, Detroit Mercy maybe?).

Could happen.

For whatever its worth, Maryland soccer is in a similiar boat. WaPo had a story: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/soccer-insider/wp/2012/11/19/maryland-soccer-moving-to-big-ten/

SpeedkingATL
November 20th, 2012, 10:10 AM
Wake me when App State actually gets an offer from an FBS conference.

Laker
November 20th, 2012, 10:14 AM
Bleacher Report-
"ACC could move quickly, I'm told. UConn and Louisville are considered clubhouse leaders among the four, per source.
And while those two teams are believed to be favored by the ACC, they aren't the only considerations, according to Fowler:

The ACC is also in talks with South Florida and Cincinnati, according to the source, and could add "pretty quickly." Factors on the decision include geography and television market viability, on-field performance and academic success."

Rumors just keep popping up.............

NDSUstudent
November 20th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Why doesn't the SEC want Florida State/Georgia Tech?

Go Green
November 20th, 2012, 11:19 AM

Because Florida and Georgia don't want the competition. South Carolina would oppose Clemson for the same reason.

Don't be surprised if FSU and GT end up in the Big 12, though.

ITmonarch10
November 20th, 2012, 11:20 AM
I agree in FB, but for hoops, Maryland has this city pretty well wrapped up with Georgetown and Mason coming way before UVa and VT.

That because Vatech and UVA always and forever will suck at basketball despite being in a prime basketball conference.

walliver
November 20th, 2012, 11:48 AM

UGA is the top team in the Atlanta Market. GT brings nothing to the SEC. In fact, GT was once in the SEC but left.

Go Green
November 20th, 2012, 12:17 PM
In fact, GT was once in the SEC but left.

Yes, that too. Supposedly over certain SEC schools' "oversigning" players and cutting them.

Florida State was also offered a spot in the SEC, but Boddy Bowden preferred to join the ACC figuring that he'd have an easier time winning there. He was right.

ASUMountaineer
November 20th, 2012, 01:31 PM

For the reasons others have stated. If the SEC took any ACC schools, I think it's much more likely that they take VT and NCSU. It adds two states to the footprint that fit the geography. VT is nationally known for football and NCSU is in the state capital, with a large market, is good at BBall, and would get the SEC competing in Duke and UNC's backyard. I would argue NCSU makes more sense than any other potential SEC addition. With that said, I don't see the SEC looking to move past 14 unless the other BCS (minus Big East) conferences start to look at 16.

DFW HOYA
November 20th, 2012, 02:31 PM
For the reasons others have stated. If the SEC took any ACC schools, I think it's much more likely that they take VT and NCSU. It adds two states to the footprint that fit the geography. VT is nationally known for football and NCSU is in the state capital, with a large market, is good at BBall, and would get the SEC competing in Duke and UNC's backyard. I would argue NCSU makes more sense than any other potential SEC addition. With that said, I don't see the SEC looking to move past 14 unless the other BCS (minus Big East) conferences start to look at 16.

Umm....the Big East is at 16 right now.

bullitt_60
November 20th, 2012, 04:04 PM
UGA is the top team in the Atlanta Market. GT brings nothing to the SEC. In fact, GT was once in the SEC but left.

While I agree with your comment, Tech leaving the SEC in 1963 has very little with what is going on today.

Yes, that too. Supposedly over certain SEC schools' "oversigning" players and cutting them.

OT
Most of them supposedly, but really it was that Dodd and Bryant weren't exactly besties.

bullitt_60
November 20th, 2012, 04:09 PM

At this very moment, they are at eight. If you count those that are leaving and the future members that are trying to get back to the MWC, I think you are at 10?

PAllen
November 21st, 2012, 05:29 AM
No, Appalachian State has never had an official FBS invite. What people might not know, however, is that there were some discussions among a group of ADs in Pittsburgh in 1995 that could have resulted in a brand new FBS conference at the time. Some of the schools that were at that meeting were Appalachian State, Marshall, Georgia Southern, The Citadel, Army and Navy. Can't recall any others off the top of my head. I'd have to look at the story I wrote at the time (which is currently located in the dark recesses of my garage with hundreds of other newspaper sports sections from the past 35 years).

That meeting, incidently, was the first thing that led to a pretty sizable feud between a certain ASU athletic director and the sports editor of the local newspaper, one that didn't work out well for the AD. The AD lied about the meeting and then the next day, there was a story in the Winston-Salem Journal about it.

Man, I can see why that deal fell apart. Great for the current/former SoCon teams, OK for Navy, Horrible for Army.

PAllen
November 21st, 2012, 05:33 AM

Ohio State and Michigan sponsor Men's Lax (not sure about women), rumor has it that Michigan State and potentially Northwestern are looking at starting programs. Add in the other western schools (sans ND) and you have Denver, Air Force, Butler, and Detroit Mercy. Not al world beaters, but with Rutgers and Maryland, that would make a nice lax conference. I agree with the fit for wrestling as well.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 21st, 2012, 07:59 AM
Ohio State and Michigan sponsor Men's Lax (not sure about women), rumor has it that Michigan State and potentially Northwestern are looking at starting programs. Add in the other western schools (sans ND) and you have Denver, Air Force, Butler, and Detroit Mercy. Not al world beaters, but with Rutgers and Maryland, that would make a nice lax conference. I agree with the fit for wrestling as well.

I'll bet Maryland is thrilled to pieces about trading historic rivalries in lacrosse with North Carolina and Duke and trading it for Denver and Detroit Mercy.

ASUMountaineer
November 21st, 2012, 08:11 AM

Umm...let's try this again:

I said "unless the other BCS (minus the Big East) conferences start to look at 16." Reading if FUNdamental.

Let's also keep in mind that when the BCS goes away, the Big East will be demoted to the "Group of Five" with CUSA, SBC, MAC, and MWC. The Big East is not in the same discussion when it comes to football (which is the point here) with the ACC, SEC, B1G, PAC12, or Big XII--except for potentially poaching teams.

MplsBison
November 21st, 2012, 01:49 PM
No way does UNC leave the ACC. Not a chance in hell. UNC/Duke/UVA is the ACC. They hold on the power. Would Ohio State or Michigan leave the B1G for BigXII? Nope.

Just rumors, but here you go: http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/180382321.html

Now here's the thing: North Carolina still wouldn't be a contiguous state with the Big Ten's footprint...even in adding Maryland. They'd need Virginia to bridge that gap.

To me, North Carolina and Virginia are very similar to Maryland: high research, high academic public flagships in relatively large states that would bring a lot of cable TV subscribers in their respective states.

Cable TV and academics - sounds like the Big 10 to me.

Now of course, Kansas also works in a sense. They have the history with Nebraska and they're an AAU school. But in my naive opinion, I'd put their academics more like that of Nebraska (which was booted from the AAU) than maryland and they don't hardly bring the cable TV subscribers in their state.

PS - the way the Big 10 network works is they negotiate with all the cable TV networks in a state to get the B10N on the basic cable tier package for every cable TV subscriber in every state of the Big 10 footprint. Therefore, adding U of M and Rutgers essentially gives B10N a leg to stand on in requesting the TV channel be on the basic tier of every cable TV subscriber located in New Jersey and Maryland.

Likewise, it would be for Virginia and North Carolina. Two relatively large states in terms of population. They'd probably force DC into the equation as well.

DFW HOYA
November 21st, 2012, 01:51 PM
Contiguous states are nice, but money talks. If the Big 10 wanted Texas, they wouldn't be adding schools in Missouri and Oklahoma to connect the dots.

mountaineer in Cane Land
November 21st, 2012, 02:21 PM
They are talking about the Maryland/Rutgers move right now on ESPN's outside the lines. The experts mention that the next move might be the SEC expanding into North Carolina and Virginia. They mention specificlly VT and NCST could be possible targets. No time tables, or specifics, but got the feeling these guys think this is just the beginning.

The Eagle's Cliff
November 21st, 2012, 02:30 PM
1) Football
2) Football
3) Football
4) Basketball

We only worry about the first three down here;)

MplsBison
November 21st, 2012, 03:45 PM
Contiguous states are nice, but money talks. If the Big 10 wanted Texas, they wouldn't be adding schools in Missouri and Oklahoma to connect the dots.

Yes, you're right.

But is it purely coincidence that the Pac-12, SEC and Big 10 have never in their history added a member that broke continuity in footprint (by state borders)?

Even still with talks of SEC going after NC St and VT, that would be contiguous.

Beyond that, of the schools realistically available to the Big 10, Virginia is much more like Maryland than Kansas is. Adds more cable TVs to the BTN and is higher academically.

Also, I think the timing of this move was 100% precipitated by the ACC's assault on the Big Ten in grabbing Notre Dame.

Laker
November 21st, 2012, 04:33 PM
Yes, you're right.

But is it purely coincidence that the Pac-12, SEC and Big 10 have never in their history added a member that broke continuity in footprint (by state borders)?

Even still with talks of SEC going after NC St and VT, that would be contiguous.

Beyond that, of the schools realistically available to the Big 10, Virginia is much more like Maryland than Kansas is. Adds more cable TVs to the BTN and is higher academically.

Also, I think the timing of this move was 100% precipitated by the ACC's assault on the Big Ten in grabbing Notre Dame.

I have to agree with you. It is like the Big Ten said, "So you want to play rough, do you?" I could see the BIG take NC and VA. Of course, I could see anyone taking anyone now that San Diego State is in the Big East- for now.

PAllen
November 21st, 2012, 08:12 PM
I'll bet Maryland is thrilled to pieces about trading historic rivalries in lacrosse with North Carolina and Duke and trading it for Denver and Detroit Mercy.

I'm sure Maryland will continue their series with UVa, Hopkins, UNC and Duke, Navy may drop off the schedule, but it's not like the ACC is going to fill anybody's lax schedule.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 21st, 2012, 09:33 PM
I'm sure Maryland will continue their series with UVa, Hopkins, UNC and Duke, Navy may drop off the schedule, but it's not like the ACC is going to fill anybody's lax schedule.

I'm not so sure. I'm hearing the Big 10 wants to start lax - men's lax at the very least. So Maryland after eloping with the Big 10 is going to turn around and say, "Can we still be friends?" to UVa, Duke, and NC? Fat chance. Point taken they could still get the occasional game with Navy and Hopkins, but those UVa, Duke and NC games have to be in the trash can.

MplsBison
November 21st, 2012, 10:48 PM
I'm not so sure. I'm hearing the Big 10 wants to start lax - men's lax at the very least. So Maryland after eloping with the Big 10 is going to turn around and say, "Can we still be friends?" to UVa, Duke, and NC? Fat chance. Point taken they could still get the occasional game with Navy and Hopkins, but those UVa, Duke and NC games have to be in the trash can.

Until VA and NC join them in the Big Ten. xnodx

ITmonarch10
November 22nd, 2012, 12:52 AM
Until VA and NC join them in the Big Ten. xnodx

I thought the Bison were next on the big 10 waiting list.xsmiley_wix

WH49er
November 27th, 2012, 10:54 AM
Wow....Tulane to the Big East

http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/2012/11/tulane_expected_to_join_the_bi.html

T-Dog
November 27th, 2012, 11:04 AM
I've met both Tulane fans. A couple of jam-up guys.

This whole going after media market thing is just stupid. It didn't work with Boston College and Miami to the ACC and it won't work now.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 27th, 2012, 11:06 AM
1) Football
2) Football
3) Football
4) Basketball

Wow....Tulane to the Big East

http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/2012/11/tulane_expected_to_join_the_bi.html

walliver... um... care to revise that?

Tulane 49-83 in last decade. Last bowl-eligible in 2002. I'd be willing to bet good money that at a bare minimum 6-8 of those wins were against FCS schools, too.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 27th, 2012, 11:07 AM
The current realignment boom is driven by..

INSANITY

There, I said it.

bluehenbillk
November 27th, 2012, 11:14 AM
Add East Carolina to the Big East as well - official now - football only.

WH49er
November 27th, 2012, 11:14 AM
ECU gets a football only invite too

Lehigh Football Nation
November 27th, 2012, 11:18 AM
About the only thing that is more insane that Tulane going to the Big East in all sports is ECU going FOOTBALL-ONLY to the Big East. So they stay in a crappy mid-major basketball conference with one bid, max one at-large, to play in a Big East conference with as little a shot at the plus-one as C-USA???? They piss everyone off for a crappy deal on both sports? Horrible, HORRIBLE decision by ECU.

WH49er
November 27th, 2012, 11:20 AM
About the only thing that is more insane that Tulane going to the Big East in all sports is ECU going FOOTBALL-ONLY to the Big East. So they stay in a crappy mid-major basketball conference with one bid, max one at-large, to play in a Big East conference with as little a shot at the plus-one as C-USA???? They piss everyone off for a crappy deal on both sports? Horrible, HORRIBLE decision by ECU.

No way does CUSA let their other sports stay after this. Maybe if they had decent basketball but then they would have gotten a full invite.

bluehenbillk
November 27th, 2012, 11:33 AM

TV $$$

Edge316007
November 27th, 2012, 11:36 AM
So ECU goes from Conference USA to "Conference USA". The Big East really is scraping the bottom of the barrel at this point.

WileECoyote06
November 27th, 2012, 11:37 AM

This is what ECU fans and admins have wanted ever since the Big East snatched their former Conf USA rivals, Louisville and Cincinnati. So. . .I'm happy for them.

Kinda sucks for ODU and Charlotte though.

DSUrocks07
November 27th, 2012, 11:39 AM
This is what ECU fans and admins have wanted ever since the Big East snatched their former Conf USA rivals, Louisville and Cincinnati. So. . .I'm happy for them.

Which will be ironic once Louisville and Cincinnati leave for either the ACC or the Big 12.

East Carolina University: Always one step behind.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Laker
November 27th, 2012, 11:46 AM
Non- football, but Denver is going into the Summit. The WAC lost another member. Sounds like Grand Canyon will replace them. Will this get Idaho thinking about getting football into the Big Sky too? The WAC is sinking fast.

http://m.nbcsports.com/content/denver-join-summit-league-2013

Lehigh Football Nation
November 27th, 2012, 11:47 AM

ECU's AD must not have gotten the memo that the BCS is going to be scrapped after next year, then.

WileECoyote06
November 27th, 2012, 11:55 AM
Which will be ironic once Louisville and Cincinnati leave for either the ACC or the Big 12.

East Carolina University: Always one step behind.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

I've read some compelling arguments that support taking UConn over Louisville. It'll be interesting to see how this drama unfolds.

Oh and I don't think the Big 12 will come calling Cincinnati; they want the big dogs of FSU and Clemson; and if they can't get them, they won't expand. Texas and Oklahoma are the primary opponents of a conference championship game, and the other members don't want to split up their tv revenue any further. They will likely stay at ten if this current round of expansion calms back down.

ccd494
November 27th, 2012, 12:07 PM
Non- football, but Denver is going into the Summit. The WAC lost another member. Sounds like Grand Canyon will replace them. Will this get Idaho thinking about getting football into the Big Sky too? The WAC is sinking fast.

Denver joining future National Collegiate Hockey Conference mate Nebraska-Omaha in all sports.

Why would Grand Canyon join the WAC? In 2013 the all-sports WAC is New Mexico State, Seattle, Cal State Bakersfield and Utah Valley. That's not a conference.

ASUMountaineer
November 27th, 2012, 12:17 PM

We don't agree on much, LFN. But, you are spot-on here. Bad move by ECU.

DFW HOYA
November 27th, 2012, 12:17 PM
I've read some compelling arguments that support taking UConn over Louisville. It'll be interesting to see how this drama unfolds. Oh and I don't think the Big 12 will come calling Cincinnati; they want the big dogs of FSU and Clemson; and if they can't get them, they won't expand. Texas and Oklahoma are the primary opponents of a conference championship game, and the other members don't want to split up their tv revenue any further. They will likely stay at ten if this current round of expansion calms back down.

What Texas says, goes. Can't see a lot of support in Austin or Norman to play at Nippert Stadium.

And at some point in the next 5-10 years, expect WVU to start looking around, too. They jumped into the wrong boat.

ASUMountaineer
November 27th, 2012, 12:18 PM

I will xlolx if ASU gets an invite to CUSA after the recent invites bragged about leaving us behind. I don't know that ASU will, but it would be hilarious.

Laker
November 27th, 2012, 12:27 PM
What Texas says, goes. Can't see a lot of support in Austin or Norman to play at Nippert Stadium.

And at some point in the next 5-10 years, expect WVU to start looking around, too. They jumped into the wrong boat.

Is that due to geography/social reasons, or something else?

DFW HOYA
November 27th, 2012, 12:27 PM
Is that due to geography/social reasons, or something else?

WVU is not up to Big 12 play and the distance will become a real problem in other sports. Its closest "neighbor" is Iowa State.

I think WVU saw the move as the first step to forming an eastern flank for the Big 12 but it's not going to happen.

cbarrier90
November 27th, 2012, 12:37 PM
I will xlolx if ASU gets an invite to CUSA after the recent invites bragged about leaving us behind. I don't know that ASU will, but it would be hilarious.

This x1000.

I wonder what Judy Rose is doing right about now...

Lehigh Football Nation
November 27th, 2012, 12:45 PM
WVU is not up to Big 12 play and the distance will become a real problem in other sports. Its closest "neighbor" is Iowa State.

I think WVU saw the move as the first step to forming an eastern flank for the Big 12 but it's not going to happen.

On that same note, UNCC becomes ODU's closest conference mate (6 hours by car), followed by Marshall (7 hours), followed next by UAB (12 hours) and FIU (17 hours).

They have about six months to convince the Big East to take them.

GlassOnion
November 27th, 2012, 12:45 PM
This x1000.

Oh goodness, I hope to hell you dont. That gave me a shudder.

WH49er
November 27th, 2012, 12:47 PM
This x1000.

Planning the next move.

I could see MTSU/WKU coming to CUSA and App/GASo going to the SunBelt.

walliver
November 27th, 2012, 12:59 PM
Tulane to the Big East makes little sense. The most popular team in New Orleans is LSU, Tulane is an afterthough. Of course, the Big East isn't particularly eastern at this point. The only thing Tulane has going for it is that they don't control the SuperDome, and therefore the NCAA prohibition about selling alcohol at sporting events doesn't apply.

If ECU goes to the BE for football only, will C-USA let them stay for other sports, or will they have to move to the Atlantic Sun?

If C-USA has any real sense, I know they don't, they would hold tight and try to build up their existing conference members before expanding. They will most likely look for two new teams and make their conference increasingly irrelevant. Amog their options are:
1) FAU - big market, but they just took FIU last year.
2) ASU - market issues haven't changed, but C-USA is running out of other options
3) GSU - see ASU
4) anybody else from the SunBelt, but there aren't many big market teams left. Lafayette, Monroe, and Troy aren't particularly large markets.
5) JMU - travel partner for ODU
6) Idaho - desperate times call for desperate measures.
7) Liberty, JSU also suffer from small-market syndrome.

I numbered the options, but they are in no particular order.

walliver
November 27th, 2012, 01:11 PM
Interesting link about TV markets
http://www.stationindex.com/tv/tv-markets

New Orleans is number 53, not a particularly big market (A lot of Saints fans are coming in from Baton Rouge and Mississippi)
Unfortunately for GSU, Savannah is 96th
On the other hand, ECU is in the 103d largest market.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 27th, 2012, 01:11 PM
If ECU goes to the BE for football only, will C-USA let them stay for other sports, or will they have to move to the Atlantic Sun?

The million-dollar question. They could also go to the SoCon, CAA, or Big South, but whichever it is, in hoops they're going from a conference with at least a plausible shot at an NCAA at-large bid to an autobid-only 13-14 seed at best sort of conference, and some years 16 seed. All these other moves have been with a hoops upgrade in mind, or at least a level-set. This is the first where hoops will likely be downgraded.

And for what? Big East football?

Conversely, Tulane hit the NCAA men's basketball lotto. Suddenly they're in a league with 6-8 at-larges a year. They go .500 and suddenly they're in the dance.

walliver
November 27th, 2012, 01:13 PM
The million-dollar question. They could also go to the SoCon, CAA, or Big South, but whichever it is, in hoops they're going from a conference with at least a plausible shot at an NCAA at-large bid to an autobid-only 13-14 seed at best sort of conference, and some years 16 seed. All these other moves have been with a hoops upgrade in mind, or at least a level-set. This is the first where hoops will likely be downgraded.

And for what? Big East football?

Several years ago, ECU approached both the SoCon about non-football membership. the football only to the BE talk has been around for years. The SoCon told them all-or-nothing, and I believe the Big South did also.

DFW HOYA
November 27th, 2012, 01:16 PM

Basketball is not a priority at ECU. In that sense it's unlike most NC schools to whom basketball is a bigger deal.

ECU doesn't figure to be the only NC school moving around, though.

Laker
November 27th, 2012, 01:18 PM

Have you heard anymore about UNC going to the Big Ten and NC State going SEC?

Lehigh Football Nation
November 27th, 2012, 01:23 PM
Several years ago, ECU approached both the SoCon about non-football membership. the football only to the BE talk has been around for years. The SoCon told them all-or-nothing, and I believe the Big South did also.

I can see the press conference now: "This will really help our standing in the BCS!"

Lehigh Football Nation
November 27th, 2012, 01:24 PM
Basketball is not a priority at ECU. In that sense it's unlike most NC schools to whom basketball is a bigger deal.

If basketball isn't a priority, why are they going to the Big East?

WileECoyote06
November 27th, 2012, 01:26 PM
Have you heard anymore about UNC going to the Big Ten and NC State going SEC?

If that happens, I swear I'll change my avatar to a Dallas Cowboy symbol for an entire month.

All these bloggers are annoying with their predictions. I know nobody expected Maryland to bounce, but they were broke and pretty much pulled a knee jerk reaction and alienated their fanbase. The state assemblies/governors will block any move to separate either UNC/NCSU or UVA/VaTech. More likely, the ACC will pick up UConn/Louisville and keep it moving.

Apphole
November 27th, 2012, 01:38 PM
This x1000.

I really don't want us to go CUSA.

We will have to put up with the most arrogant, nonsensical fan base in America even more than we already do. It's not worth it. Their fans are impossible.

DFW HOYA
November 27th, 2012, 01:41 PM
All these bloggers are annoying with their predictions. I know nobody expected Maryland to bounce, but they were broke and pretty much pulled a knee jerk reaction and alienated their fanbase. The state assemblies/governors will block any move to separate either UNC/NCSU or UVA/VaTech. More likely, the ACC will pick up UConn/Louisville and keep it moving.

State legislators are powerless because these things are all done in stealth. Read about how the Maryland regents were given one hour to make a vote and couldn't so much as ask the AD about it because the Big 10 would withdraw the bid if there was any disclosure whatsoever.

The Texas Legislature couldn't stop A&M, and the Missouri legislature couldn't stop Mizzou's move, either. If UNC gets an offer, they go. If State gets an offer, they go.

ECU is football only, like Georgetown in the PL. (Which is the only time you'll see those two schools in the same sentence.)

Apphole
November 27th, 2012, 01:43 PM
I'm really hoping for the SBC.

CUSA and the BE are essentially the same conference: a revolving door of premadonnas who's football has gradually declined over the past 5 years. I want no part of it now that ECU, the only desirable conference mate for ASU in the first place, is gone.

The SBC is geographically sound, is a stronger football conference than CUSA as of 2012 and is trending upward rather than downward.

Cocky
November 27th, 2012, 01:45 PM
Tulane to the Big East makes little sense. The most popular team in New Orleans is LSU, Tulane is an afterthough. Of course, the Big East isn't particularly eastern at this point. The only thing Tulane has going for it is that they don't control the SuperDome, and therefore the NCAA prohibition about selling alcohol at sporting events doesn't apply.

If C-USA has any real sense, I know they don't, they would hold tight and try to build up their existing conference members before expanding. They will most likely look for two new teams and make their conference increasingly irrelevant. Amog their options are:
1) FAU - big market, but they just took FIU last year.
2) ASU - market issues haven't changed, but C-USA is running out of other options
3) GSU - see ASU
4) anybody else from the SunBelt, but there aren't many big market teams left. Lafayette, Monroe, and Troy aren't particularly large markets.
5) JMU - travel partner for ODU
6) Idaho - desperate times call for desperate measures.
7) Liberty, JSU also suffer from small-market syndrome.

I numbered the options, but they are in no particular order.

JSU is in the Birmingham market which is top 50.

GlassOnion
November 27th, 2012, 01:46 PM

We will have to put up with the most arrogant, nonsensical fan base in America even more than we already do. It's not worth it. Their fans are impossible.

Agreed. I've been pushing the SB for awhile. The only plus CUSA had going for it with me was the possible ECU/App/Marsha rivalry games, but I never thought ECU would still be there by the end of the alignments. The prospect of playing Uncee is the opposite of compelling. That and the league is falling apart like paper mache in a hurricane.

And at least the GaState fans have already crawled back into their holes.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 27th, 2012, 01:47 PM
ECU is football only, like Georgetown in the PL. (Which is the only time you'll see those two schools in the same sentence.)

You must have missed my snark-o-meter on this post. When people think "Big East" they think of 6-7 at-larges in the NCAA men's basketball tournament, UConn women's hoops, and, now, a C-USA-looking football conference.

MplsBison
November 27th, 2012, 01:48 PM
I've read some compelling arguments that support taking UConn over Louisville. It'll be interesting to see how this drama unfolds.

Oh and I don't think the Big 12 will come calling Cincinnati; they want the big dogs of FSU and Clemson; and if they can't get them, they won't expand. Texas and Oklahoma are the primary opponents of a conference championship game, and the other members don't want to split up their tv revenue any further. They will likely stay at ten if this current round of expansion calms back down.

That's fine and dandy, but the playoff/bowl selection committee should punish the Big XII conf for ducking the conf championship game. Everyone else is playing one, because that's what fans want. They're ducking it because they're scared of getting burned again -- too friggin' bad.

WileECoyote06
November 27th, 2012, 01:50 PM
State legislators are powerless because these things are all done in stealth. Read about how the Maryland regents were given one hour to make a vote and couldn't so much as ask the AD about it because the Big 10 would withdraw the bid if there was any disclosure whatsoever.

The Texas Legislature couldn't stop A&M, and the Missouri legislature couldn't stop Mizzou's move, either. If UNC gets an offer, they go. If State gets an offer, they go.

Stealth? These rumors have been around ALL year. There's no stealth to em. . .lol. It was rumored of the Big Ten's talks with Ga. Tech, UNC, and UVA even before Maryland announced their departure.

On top of that, the AD at Maryland had no ACC ties; and the president is a Big Ten alum and served as Provost for a Big Ten school. UNC doesn't have that issue as the Chancellor, and the Board of Governors chair both are alums. The AD is from Notre Dame whom for all intents and purposes is an ACC affiliate.

I just don't see it happening. . .

asumike83
Planning the next move.

I could see MTSU/WKU coming to CUSA and App/GASo going to the SunBelt.

I think that is the most likely scenario as well.

MplsBison

Even though I know this was the right move (maybe the only move) -- I hate this move.

Ideally, there would be no teams added west of I-29 or south of Kansas City. We're just right back to the old, far-flung Mid-Con. "Together out of desperation, who cares about an identity!"

MplsBison
November 27th, 2012, 01:54 PM

It's not the Big East anymore. The Big East I knew had Miami, Virginia Tech, Boston College, WV, Pitt & Syracuse.

This is just the CUSA 2.

MplsBison
November 27th, 2012, 01:58 PM
If that happens, I swear I'll change my avatar to a Dallas Cowboy symbol for an entire month.

Weren't Virginia and VT separate for a while there?

Virginia to the Big Ten makes as much sense as Maryland to the Big Ten. Virginia gets big time academics and a big payday and the BTN gets every cable customer in the state of Virginia (and DC).

RadioFan
November 27th, 2012, 02:01 PM
I hope Marshall sees the state of CUSA and pushes to either go back into the MAC or SunBelt.

If the SunBelt can convince MTSU and WKU to stay it might help drag Marshall to the Belt.

Add Marshall, GaSo and App to the SunBelt and it is better than CUSA and MAC. Add a 4th team to round it out (Jax State to give the SunBelts other Florida school a travel partner) and you have yourself a nice 16 team conference in the South.

DFW HOYA
November 27th, 2012, 02:01 PM
Virginia Tech was variously in the Southern, Metro, A-10, and Big East conferences before joining the ACC.

Apphole
November 27th, 2012, 02:03 PM
Why is a troll from a midwestern school always so darn interested in south eastern conference realignment?

walliver
I hope Marshall sees the state of CUSA and pushes to either go back into the MAC or SunBelt.

If the SunBelt can convince MTSU and WKU to stay it might help drag Marshall to the Belt.

Add Marshall, GaSo and App to the SunBelt and it is better than CUSA and MAC. Add a 4th team to round it out (Jax State to give the SunBelts other Florida school a travel partner) and you have yourself a nice 16 team conference in the South.

Why would FAU want a travel partner located in Alabama?

MplsBison

Not saying you're technically wrong -- but this is a joke.

76 miles away from B, about halfway to ATL and 20-30 miles off the interstate. J'ville Ala is as rural as anywhere else in that state.

Franks Tanks
November 27th, 2012, 02:04 PM

Virginia to the Big Ten makes as much sense as Maryland to the Big Ten. Virginia gets big time academics and a big payday and the BTN gets every cable customer in the state of Virginia (and DC).

Virginia and VT were almost always seperate. VT wanted into the ACC for decades, but were spurned. VT was in the Southern conference for many years, and of course later the Big East. VMI and VT was the big season ending game for both schools for a long time. I believe Virginia was a charter member of the ACC.

RadioFan
November 27th, 2012, 02:05 PM
Why would FAU want a travel partner located in Alabama?

I'm an idiot.

WH49er
November 27th, 2012, 02:05 PM

0% chance that Marshall goes to the MAC.

RadioFan
November 27th, 2012, 02:06 PM

Why? CUSA is clearly imploding and Marshall has a lot of MAC ties.

Plus less traveling.

WileECoyote06
November 27th, 2012, 02:07 PM

They were, but the governor of VA forced the president of UVA to lobby for the Hokies inclusion in the first round of ACC expansion to the detriment of Syracuse.

Up to that point, UVA was the flagship institution and VTech was looked upon as a little sister. Their football pedigree was built up over a decade of work until they became nationally prominent in the late 1990s. Their academic and athletic credentials have grown exponentially in the past twenty years.

MplsBison
November 27th, 2012, 02:07 PM
Stealth? These rumors have been around ALL year. There's no stealth to em. . .lol. It was rumored of the Big Ten's talks with Ga. Tech, UNC, and UVA even before Maryland announced their departure.

On top of that, the AD at Maryland had no ACC ties; and the president is a Big Ten alum and served as Provost for a Big Ten school. UNC doesn't have that issue as the Chancellor, and the Board of Governors chair both are alums. The AD is from Notre Dame whom for all intents and purposes is an ACC affiliate.

I just don't see it happening. . .

No one saw Maryland coming. Don't pretend otherwise. The Big Ten did the best job of anyone in the recent history of conf expansions keeping that one under wraps. And it was a good move on both sides.

UNC, probably is a low percentage chance of moving. They have Duke, they have the ACC, etc.

What does Virginia have that makes them so integrally ACC? That one I could see going through. VT is no slouch either, at least in terms of research. Maybe the BT just goes up to the state of VA and leaves NC for the SEC?

MplsBison
November 27th, 2012, 02:10 PM
They were, but the governor of VA forced the president of UVA to lobby for the Hokies inclusion in the first round of ACC expansion to the detriment of Syracuse.

Up to that point, UVA was the flagship institution and VTech was looked upon as a little sister. Their football pedigree was built up over a decade of work until they became nationally prominent in the late 1990s. Their academic and athletic credentials have grown exponentially in the past twenty years.

Governors and congressmen aren't going to be blocking or forcing anything this time. There are higher powers at work here (TV).

WH49er
November 27th, 2012, 02:11 PM

Plus less traveling.

They've done that and hated their time there. As long as the CUSA TV contracts are larger than the Sunbelt contracts, CUSA will be able to get replacements.

We all know schools will go where the most money is.

RadioFan
November 27th, 2012, 02:12 PM
As long as the CUSA TV contracts are larger than the Sunbelt contracts, CUSA will be able to get replacements.

We all know schools will go where the most money is.

True, but what makes you think the CUSA TV contracts stay above the SunBelt with the defections that are taking place?

Lehigh Football Nation
November 27th, 2012, 02:14 PM
No one saw Maryland coming. Don't pretend otherwise. The Big Ten did the best job of anyone in the recent history of conf expansions keeping that one under wraps.

BU to the Patriot League.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 27th, 2012, 02:16 PM

Plus less traveling.

Hard to say a 12-member conference without other possible suitors is "clearly imploding".

WH49er
November 27th, 2012, 02:17 PM
True, but what makes you think the CUSA TV contracts stay above the SunBelt with the defections that are taking place?

CUSA will just take who they want from the Sunbelt. It's sad college athletics have come to this. Even worse if you aren't in the "Big 4", you are really just hoping to get some scraps.

walliver
November 27th, 2012, 02:20 PM

The Sunbelt is very secretive about the details of their contract. They are very loud about all the Thursday games and a few week-end games, but rarely talk money. I tried to track this information down a few weeks ago, but was unable to get a definitive number, although rumors were that the conference gets about $1M per year ($100,000 per team per year), not much at all, but better than the SoCon. Without "big market" teams, I doubt ESPN will offer up much more money. The Sunbelt's best option might be a CAA-like deal with an non-ESPN network desperate for content.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 27th, 2012, 02:20 PM
....The girls all get prettier at closin' time.....

Wait, is this the "What are you listening to" thread? xlolx

Lehigh Football Nation
November 27th, 2012, 02:22 PM
The Sunbelt is very secretive about the details of their contract. They are very loud about all the Thursday games and a few week-end games, but rarely talk money. I tried to track this information down a few weeks ago, but was unable to get a definitive number, although rumors were that the conference gets about $1M per year ($100,000 per team per year), not much at all, but better than the SoCon. Without "big market" teams, I doubt ESPN will offer up much more money. The Sunbelt's best option might be a CAA-like deal with an non-ESPN network desperate for content.

Don't those teams pay "dues" every year to fund a bowl for their champion, thus making it a net money-loser?

RadioFan
November 27th, 2012, 02:25 PM
I found the CUSA TV contract sitting around $1.2 Million dollars per year for each school.

I don't think that'd stay the same with them losing a major market like New Orleans and a mid-market like Greenville.

I couldn't find SunBelt $ figures. So who knows.

Cocky
November 27th, 2012, 02:26 PM
Not saying you're technically wrong -- but this is a joke.

76 miles away from B, about halfway to ATL and 20-30 miles off the interstate. J'ville Ala is as rural as anywhere else in that state.

Still in the TV market and less rural than some of the other mentioned schools. JSU has close to a million people within 50 miles of campus. JSU would bring as much of the Birmingham market as Tulane will the New Orleans market.

walliver
November 27th, 2012, 02:34 PM
Maybe C-USA could go after Georgia State. They bring the Atlanta market into the conference (So what if UGA, GT, Auburn, Alabama, South Carolina, Clemson and Tennessee are more popular in that market), they also put each conference member that plays them one game closer to bowl eligibility.

WH49er
November 27th, 2012, 02:37 PM
Maybe C-USA could go after Georgia State. They bring the Atlanta market into the conference (So what if UGA, GT, Auburn, Alabama, South Carolina, Clemson and Tennessee are more popular in that market), they also put each conference member that plays them one game closer to bowl eligibility.

No one is taking that dumpster fire off the Sunbelt's hands.

Apphole
November 27th, 2012, 02:42 PM
It's sad college athletics have come to this.

I wholeheartedly agree, but I'm curious as to why you think so. It is why you are where you are. I'd rejoice in the sad state of affairs if I was a beneficiary of the situation like UNCC. No media market trend and UNCC is going BigSouth in all sports or aborting the football fetus all together.

phoenix3
November 27th, 2012, 02:44 PM
Last I heard ECU will be "football only" in the Big East and may go A10 for bball rumor has it...

cbarrier90
November 27th, 2012, 02:45 PM

Bring in GSU and you have three FCS stalwarts in App, GSU and ODU, an old friend in Marshall, and another rival in Charlotte. I don't see what isn't to like on ASU's front. Not the most likely scenario, but the best one for App IMO.

We play GSU every year...(I keed, I keed...)

STILL don't understand the fascination with a school still working to lay claim to the Joe Publics in its own market, but to each his own.

Apphole
November 27th, 2012, 02:45 PM
Last I heard ECU will be "football only" in the Big East and may go A10 for bball rumor has it...

That would be a shame for ECU's solid baseball program to land in a terrible baseball conference like the A-10.

Call me crazy but what about Big South for other sports for the pirates? That is becoming a really good basketball conference and their baseball is almost as good as the SoCon's.

RadioFan
November 27th, 2012, 02:48 PM
https://twitter.com/KevinMcNamara33

Mike Aresco: We're not finished. We have other plans for expansion...could go to 16 in football.

If they grab more CUSA teams that conference is done for.

WH49er
November 27th, 2012, 03:00 PM

A-10 is a basketball conference and has much better options than ECU.

RadioFan
November 27th, 2012, 03:00 PM
A-10 is a basketball conference and much better options than ECU.

Think they go that far south again?

Atlantic Sun for ECU I bet.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 27th, 2012, 03:01 PM
A-10 is a basketball conference and has much better options than ECU.

Big East would never allow it.

Franks Tanks
November 27th, 2012, 03:03 PM

Why? Marshall used to be in the MAC.

I guess the MAC is pissed they left and won't let them back in.

MplsBison
November 27th, 2012, 03:04 PM
CUSA will just take who they want from the Sunbelt. It's sad college athletics have come to this. Even worse if you aren't in the "Big 4", you are really just hoping to get some scraps.

Why do people waste their breath uttering such things?

There are only so many Univ of Texas, Ohio St, Florida, USC type programs. There aren't ever going to be more than there are now. Ever.

So what?

Doesn't mean everyone else should just give up and never try to improve their situations.

aceinthehole
November 27th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Big East would never allow it.

Why?

WH49er
November 27th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Why? Marshall used to be in the MAC.

I guess the MAC is pissed they left and won't let them back in.

That and Marshall fans would flip. Doesn't seem like many liked their time there.

Ohio is the only school that would want them back in.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 27th, 2012, 03:06 PM
ECU has approached the Colonial Athletic Association about prospective membership for all other sports, including basketball, sources said.

http://hamptonroads.com/2012/11/ecu-football-tulane-joining-big-east-2014

WH49er
November 27th, 2012, 03:07 PM

A-10 would go for Creighton and Wichita State. Good programs and gives the league a strong Midwest presence along with Butler and St. Louis.

GSUhooligan

How about they go to the SoCon to replace CofC? Much better baseball than the A-10 and basketball would fit right in.

MplsBison

Which they probably don't care.

If the NCAA would give schools the option to only have a football team in the entire athletic department, and simply give 85 women on campus full scholarships for no other reason than to offset the title IX requirement, ECU would probably sign up for that.

Their goal is to get this in as high of a position of national prominence as possible:

http://www.ecu.edu/undaunted/images/dowdy-ficklen.jpg

RadioFan
November 27th, 2012, 03:08 PM
That and Marshall fans would flip. Doesn't seem like many liked their time there.

Marshall fans are already flipping with the exit of ECU from CUSA.

walliver
November 27th, 2012, 03:15 PM

16 teams in the Big East is too much. Who would they go after? Almost all the decent teams in C-USA have gone. Boise State may be having second thoughts.
Limestone is starting a football team, and is located halfway between the Charlotte and Greenville/Spartanburg markets (they could claim both); are they Big East bound? Will they expand geographically and seek out Hawaii?

In an ideal world, the Big East would become a basketball conference. But, there is too much money involved (although I suspect the value of big East TV rights is falling daily).

RadioFan
November 27th, 2012, 03:19 PM
The Big East could go after:

UMass (if UConn leaves)
Tulsa
Marshall
ODU

just off the top of my head.

MplsBison
November 27th, 2012, 03:23 PM

When you add Tulane & ECU together with Navy, Boise, San Diego St and the 2nd round of CUSA transfers - the Big East is at 14 football members, for now.

You have to assume that UConn or Louisville, maybe both are out.

Adding Army, Air Force and BYU gets them back to 16 if it's just one or the other. If both leave, then you look maybe at another CUSA transfer or another MWC school to further establish the 'West Wing'.

If it's another MWC school, maybe that opens the door to get Idaho and New Mexico St in the conf? OTOH, there was some talk that maybe Boise and San Diego should come to their senses and rejoin the MWC with BYU, instead.

At the end of the day, only the highest rated champion from the Big East or MWC gets the pot of gold. So strength of conference schedule is going to be one half the equation (the other half obviously being who can promise more TV dollars).

bluehenbillk
November 27th, 2012, 03:24 PM
http://hamptonroads.com/2012/11/ecu-football-tulane-joining-big-east-2014

CAA Baseball would get a heckuva lot better real quick with ECU.

DFW HOYA
November 27th, 2012, 03:24 PM
16 teams in the Big East is too much. Who would they go after? Almost all the decent teams in C-USA have gone. Boise State may be having second thoughts.

Don't kid yourself--Boise signed off on both schools.

The Big East calling list:

1. ECU (off the list)
2. BYU/football only
3. UMass (all sports)
4. Army/football only
5. Air Force/football only

The rest
5. Fresno St. FB
6. UNLV FB
7. Marshall
8. Southern Miss FB
9. Tulsa, Rice, et al.
10. Pennsylvania (just kidding)

RadioFan
November 27th, 2012, 03:26 PM
Adding Army, Air Force and BYU gets them back to 16

AFA and BYU have both told the Big East to piss off

Lehigh Football Nation
November 27th, 2012, 03:30 PM
3. UMass (all sports)

Incidentally - how must UMass feel in all this? They just spent all that money on plastic surgery just to find the Big East is courting hussies in New Orleans and rural North Carolina.

cbarrier90
November 27th, 2012, 04:35 PM
Which they probably don't care.

If the NCAA would give schools the option to only have a football team in the entire athletic department, and simply give 85 women on campus full scholarships for no other reason than to offset the title IX requirement, ECU would probably sign up for that.

Their goal is to get this in as high of a position of national prominence as possible:

http://www.ecu.edu/undaunted/images/dowdy-ficklen.jpg

What you fail to realize is they basically swapped C-USA 1 for C-USA 2.

MplsBison
November 27th, 2012, 07:13 PM
AFA and BYU have both told the Big East to piss off

Have - past tense - being the key there.

This stuff is changing by the week, it seems.

MplsBison
November 27th, 2012, 07:15 PM
What you fail to realize is they basically swapped C-USA 1 for C-USA 2.

I realize it. I said what you just said in another post on this thread.

MplsBison
November 27th, 2012, 07:16 PM
Incidentally - how must UMass feel in all this? They just spent all that money on plastic surgery just to find the Big East is courting hussies in New Orleans and rural North Carolina.

I'm thinking UMass will be thrilled to trade CAA football and A10 bball for Big East bball and "CUSA+" football.

Go Green
November 27th, 2012, 07:41 PM

1. ECU (off the list)
2. BYU/football only
3. UMass (all sports)
4. Army/football only

The rest
5. Fresno St. FB
6. UNLV FB
7. Marshall
8. Southern Miss FB
9. Tulsa, Rice, et al.

Don't forget Buffalo. They can fill the void when the Bills move to LA/Toronto/London.

ITmonarch10
November 28th, 2012, 12:35 AM

1. ECU (off the list)
2. BYU/football only
3. UMass (all sports)
4. Army/football only

The rest
5. Fresno St. FB
6. UNLV FB
7. Marshall
8. Southern Miss FB
9. Tulsa, Rice, et al.

I think ODU has a better shot at the Big East than the majority of the school if your are looking at it from a TV Market perspective.

bluehenbillk
November 28th, 2012, 08:43 AM
With Louisville going to the ACC I guess the Big East will pick up more garbage...

DFW HOYA
November 28th, 2012, 09:12 AM
With Louisville going to the ACC I guess the Big East will pick up more garbage...

To which Delaware would surely turn down an offer.

bluehenbillk
November 28th, 2012, 10:01 AM
To which Delaware would surely turn down an offer.

Who said anything about Delaware?

Our head has been firmly planted in the sand for years.

superman7515
November 28th, 2012, 10:05 AM
I actually asked that a few weeks ago on GoHens. With Delaware turning down the MAC's overtures last summer because they felt they were too good for the MAC and were holding out for nothing less than the Big East... Is the "new" Big East any better than the MAC?

Apphole
November 28th, 2012, 10:33 AM
http://www.journalnow.com/sports/asu/football/article_a6a368da-38f6-11e2-a650-0019bb30f31a.html

"If C-USA chooses to replace ECU and Tulane, ASU perhaps could be considered for one of those spots. If C-USA looks elsewhere for new members, possibly from the Sun Belt Conference, that domino effect could create the possibility of an invitation for ASU to fill an opening from another FBS league."

Lehigh Football Nation
November 28th, 2012, 10:37 AM
Just heard MTSU is joining C-USA. Betting that NMSU won't be far behind.

RadioFan
November 28th, 2012, 10:44 AM

Yep, came here to post this.

I bet they add NMSU, WKU and Ark St. this week.

asumike83
November 28th, 2012, 10:45 AM

I heard the same thing, MTSU to C-USA is supposedly a done deal. Apparently, FIU is making a hard to push to get FAU to join them and provide a travel partner.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/fiusports/2012/11/fiu-wants-fau-to-join-conference-usa.html

RadioFan
November 28th, 2012, 10:49 AM
If AppSt goes to the SunBelt, I'd rather FAU goes to CUSA than WKU.

WKU isn't that far of a drive (6.5 hours). Sucks MTSU is gone, as that's another 5.5 hour drive for a possible away game.

dbackjon
November 28th, 2012, 10:51 AM

Technically yes, but realistically, NO.

Just like NAU is technically in a top 10 market, Phoenix.

ASUMountaineer
November 28th, 2012, 11:05 AM
Yep, came here to post this.

I bet they add NMSU, WKU and Ark St. this week.

WTF? I think FAU is probably above stAte.

RadioFan
November 28th, 2012, 11:06 AM
WTF? I think FAU is probably above stAte.

FAU's only benefit over ArkSt is it would be a travel partner with FIU. ArkSt. offers a better program all-around.

bluehenbillk
November 28th, 2012, 11:09 AM
I actually asked that a few weeks ago on GoHens. With Delaware turning down the MAC's overtures last summer because they felt they were too good for the MAC and were holding out for nothing less than the Big East... Is the "new" Big East any better than the MAC?

The new Big East & the MAC are going to be pretty similar. Especially when you realize USF, Cincy & UConn are all trying to get out.

bluehenbillk
November 28th, 2012, 11:09 AM
By the time ODU joins C-USA it will be the Sun Belt......

asumike83
November 28th, 2012, 11:10 AM
FAU's only benefit over ArkSt is it would be a travel partner with FIU. ArkSt. offers a better program all-around.

No question about that but unfortunately, it doesn't matter. FAU provides a travel partner for FIU and gives another big-market presence, which is really all that C-USA has gone after.

RadioFan
November 28th, 2012, 11:11 AM
No question about that but unfortunately, it doesn't matter. FAU provides a travel partner for FIU and gives another big-market presence, which is really all that C-USA has gone after.

Trust me, if App gets in the SunBelt, I'd rather it be minus FAU than ArkSt or WKU

Apphole
November 28th, 2012, 11:30 AM
I heard the same thing, MTSU to C-USA is supposedly a done deal. Apparently, FIU is making a hard to push to get FAU to join them and provide a travel partner.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/fiusports/2012/11/fiu-wants-fau-to-join-conference-usa.html

I've started writing the acceptance speech.

superman7515
November 28th, 2012, 11:44 AM
Knock knock

PAllen
November 28th, 2012, 11:50 AM
Knock knock

Who's there

dgreco
November 28th, 2012, 11:58 AM
MTSU to CUSA, spot now open in the SB

RadioFan
November 28th, 2012, 11:58 AM
Who's there

Not a CUSA offer.

MplsBison
November 28th, 2012, 12:08 PM
Maybe there's hope for NMSU and Idaho to get their football in the Sun Belt?

Or maybe the MWC will realize that San Diego, BYU and Boise really are insane enough to keep their football in the Big East and will add those two to get football up to 12.

MplsBison
November 28th, 2012, 12:09 PM
It's all kinda ridiculous in a sense.

Anything south of the ACC may as well just be one giant soup of a conference. They're all literally fighting for the same one-bid from the I-A post season selection committee.

Apphole
November 28th, 2012, 12:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZbKHDPPrrc

RadioFan
November 28th, 2012, 12:46 PM
Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN
Middle Tennessee & Florida Atlantic leaving Sun Belt for Conference USA

Two open spots in The SunBelt with ArkSt and WKU staying.

SpiritCymbal
November 28th, 2012, 12:52 PM
Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN
Middle Tennessee & Florida Atlantic leaving Sun Belt for Conference USA

Two open spots in The SunBelt with ArkSt and WKU staying....for now

FIFY. WKU is pushing hard for CUSA. CUSA could be looking to add more if they lose anymore teams (Marshall, USM, etc...?) or if they try to go to 16 FB members.

Cocky
November 28th, 2012, 01:14 PM
Technically yes, but realistically, NO.

Just like NAU is technically in a top 10 market, Phoenix.

NAU would bring as much of the Phoenix market as GSU would Atlanta, Ga So would Savannah, App would Charolette, UAB would Birmingham, JSU would Birmingham, Troy would Montgomery, Middle would Nashville, and on and on. Iy appears being in a market is more important than viewers within the market.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 28th, 2012, 01:21 PM
NAU would bring as much of the Phoenix market as GSU would Atlanta, Ga So would Savannah, App would Charolette, UAB would Birmingham, JSU would Birmingham, Troy would Montgomery, Middle would Nashville, and on and on. It appears being in a market is more important than viewers within the market.

How true this is. As true as it is that Maryland is bringing any of the DC market or Rutgers the NYC market.

MplsBison
November 28th, 2012, 03:53 PM
NAU would bring as much of the Phoenix market as GSU would Atlanta, Ga So would Savannah, App would Charolette, UAB would Birmingham, JSU would Birmingham, Troy would Montgomery, Middle would Nashville, and on and on. Iy appears being in a market is more important than viewers within the market.

Until you've sold TV executives on the idea that they will be able to attract B'ham area businesses to advertise on their networks because Jacksonville St will be playing a football game that will be broadcast on those networks, you can't really say that.

The naive concept would be to bet your money on UAB over Jax St in B'ham. Maybe it is wrong, but how do you sell it otherwise?

MplsBison
November 28th, 2012, 03:58 PM
FIFY. WKU is pushing hard for CUSA. CUSA could be looking to add more if they lose anymore teams (Marshall, USM, etc...?) or if they try to go to 16 FB members.

Big East will have 13 FB members and the teams they'd be looking to add - Air Force, Army, BYU - will not affect the CUSA's now 14 FB members. I would not expect any more CUSA adds at the moment.

The Sun Belt is the place that any new I-AA moveups in the south will land.

The only possibly realistic scenario would be if San Diego St, BYU and Boise came to their senses and went back to the MWC. But at this point, that probably won't happen. I actually think they're all excited to shake things up a bit in football and are happy with where they landed in non-football confs.

RadioFan
November 28th, 2012, 04:03 PM
https://twitter.com/1340TheTicket

Sources telling me Western Kentucky is accepting a bid, along with New Mexico State, to join Conference USA. Be announced today #wku #ksr

Welp, if that is the case the SunBelt will have to reload as it leaves them with 7 (one short of mandatory 8).

MplsBison
November 28th, 2012, 04:09 PM
Ok so I guess I was wrong! 16 it is for the CUSA, they must've determined that they're likely to lose 2-4 more in the future.

Sun Belt has no choice almost now but to take Idaho football as an emergency plan and then start soliciting I-AA moveups. GA Southern and App St would be a quick way to 10, obviously. Adding Ala St (new stadium, Montgomery) and Jax St (updated stadium, B'Ham) would obviously not help much in the footprint expansion but be easy travel.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 28th, 2012, 04:10 PM
https://twitter.com/1340TheTicket

Welp, if that is the case the SunBelt will have to reload as it leaves them with 7 (one short of mandatory 8).

Paging Idaho...

RadioFan
November 28th, 2012, 04:13 PM
I don't see Troy, ULL, ULM, UTSA or S.Bama going northwest across the country to Idaho.

They'd bring up another Texas school before they did that.

aceinthehole
November 28th, 2012, 04:19 PM
Paging Idaho...

I almost forgot about them.

Besides UConn, Idaho has been the biggest loser in the conference realignment. UConn's hope for an ACC invite have been put on ice, but I still think Idaho's future is going to be a reclassification down to FCS football and full time membership in the Big Sky. IMO the Sun Belt is their only shot at FBS football future.

Logic dictates that all schools "move up" (in reality or perception) when they leave one conference to join a new conference. But in the cases of Idaho and UConn, their entire conference basically left them at the holding the bag. It is really quite amazing how this has been shaking out.

TheRevSFA
November 28th, 2012, 04:19 PM
This just in - the sun belt is moving to CUSA.

Carry on

Lehigh Football Nation
November 28th, 2012, 04:22 PM
I almost forgot about them.

Besides UConn, Idaho has been the biggest loser in the conference realignment. UConn's hope for an ACC invite have been put on ice, but I still think Idaho's future is going to be a reclassification down to FCS football and full time membership in the Big Sky. IMO the Sun Belt is their only shot at FBS football future.

Logic dictates that all schools "move up" (in reality or perception) when they leave one conference to join a new conference. But in the cases of Idaho and UConn, their entire conference basically left them at the holding the bag. It is really quite amazing how this has been shaking out.

Benson's the new commissioner of the Sun Belt, and I'm sure he still has Idaho's AD's phone number in the Rolodex. Idaho's desperate for a conference, Sun Belt is desperate for an 8th member. I think they do that before App State joins up, IMO.

RadioFan
November 28th, 2012, 04:27 PM
No way. One, the Presidents of the other schools wouldn't support flying everyone out west. Two, there is more room to expand in the East and that's their best shot at growing as a conference.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 28th, 2012, 04:29 PM
No way. One, the Presidents of the other schools wouldn't support flying everyone out west. Two, there is more room to expand in the East and that's their best shot at growing as a conference.

Idaho is the only one that can support going to FBS NOW. To have App State transition to FBS they'd have to get waivers and everything. Idaho is an easier solution.

Flying people across country - has that stopped anyone in this realignment mess before? xlolx

Cocky
November 28th, 2012, 04:36 PM
Until you've sold TV executives on the idea that they will be able to attract B'ham area businesses to advertise on their networks because Jacksonville St will be playing a football game that will be broadcast on those networks, you can't really say that.

The naive concept would be to bet your money on UAB over Jax St in B'ham. Maybe it is wrong, but how do you sell it otherwise?

I agree most would pick UAB. Not sure who would draw more viewers but neither would draw significantly more than the other. And neither would draw many.

RadioFan
November 28th, 2012, 04:37 PM
Idaho is the only one that can support going to FBS NOW. To have App State transition to FBS they'd have to get waivers and everything. Idaho is an easier solution.
? xlolx

None of the schools are leaving immediately are they? 2014 is when all this crap takes effect. So why would they need anyone "NOW" as you put it?

walliver
November 28th, 2012, 04:49 PM

Flying people across country - has that stopped anyone in this realignment mess before? xlolx

Idaho is already FBS. They were in the Sunbelt prior to going to the WAC. They recently applied for readmission to the Sunbelt and were turned down.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 28th, 2012, 05:00 PM
Idaho is already FBS. They were in the Sunbelt prior to going to the WAC. They recently applied for readmission to the Sunbelt and were turned down.

They won't be turned down now.

MplsBison
November 28th, 2012, 05:07 PM

So the presidents will prefer to have the Sun Belt be decertified by the NCAA as an I-A conference and receive no profit sharing from the new post-season TV deal?

Be reasonable.

Even GA Southern and App St will probably take a couple years to move up...there's the simple matter of logistics here.

MplsBison
November 28th, 2012, 05:09 PM
None of the schools are leaving immediately are they? 2014 is when all this crap takes effect. So why would they need anyone "NOW" as you put it?

Why risk it?

What's wrong with adding Idaho to guarantee 8 members - AND THEN start looking around at who's the best I-AA moveups? I doubt highly that Idaho is going to be impeding App St's path to I-A.

dbackjon
November 28th, 2012, 05:11 PM
This just in - the sun belt is moving to CUSA.

Carry on

SunBelt moved to CUSA which moved to Big East which move to the ACC

FargoBison
November 28th, 2012, 05:21 PM
Doesn't the Belt have 9 football members plus UALR for non sports....

ULM
ULL
USA
WKU
Troy
ASU
Tx State
Ga State
UTA(non-football)
UALR(non-football)

Tell me again whey they need Idaho so bad? They could easily add NMSU as well, their AD just said they've had no contact from the CUSA.

TheRevSFA
November 28th, 2012, 05:26 PM
Rumor is wku is off to CUSA with nmsu

TheRevSFA
November 28th, 2012, 05:27 PM
And utsa will be moving to CUSA, they aren't a belt team

FargoBison
November 28th, 2012, 05:28 PM
Rumor is wku is off to CUSA with nmsu

Sounds like that was a bad rumor....

NMSU AD McKinley Boston: “We have not had contact with Conf. USA. I've never seen anything as volatile as (conf. realignment) in long time.”

https://twitter.com/TeddyFeinberg/status/273917685279096832

FargoBison
November 28th, 2012, 05:31 PM
And utsa will be moving to CUSA, they aren't a belt team

Oops, I got UTA messed up with UTSA and I guess that brings the Belt down to 8 for football.

walliver
November 28th, 2012, 05:36 PM
The NCAA just gave a 2 year waiver to the WAC. The Sunbelt should be no different.