PDA

View Full Version : TSN - A-10

OL FU
August 14th, 2006, 01:58 PM
There weren’t really any surprises in this year’s Sports Network top five rankings, with Appalachian State, New Hampshire, Montana, Northern Iowa and Furman claiming the top spots in the country. But the fact that New Hampshire is being accepted as a national power is shocking unto itself.

Sports Network’s Predicted Order of Finish: North
1. New Hampshire
2. Massachusetts
3. Maine
4. Hofstra
5. Rhode Island
6. Northeastern
Sports Network’s Predicted Order of Finish: South
1. James Madison
2. Delaware
3. Richmond
4. William & Mary
5. Villanova
6. Towson

I thought I would post since this adds credibility to my new Big Four theory:D

GannonFan
August 14th, 2006, 02:29 PM

Yup, two years in a row with basically the same teams (oh, that is if you count Richmond in as well since they won the South last year - Big 5 then?), quite the trend you have going there. Gee if it holds up to be true this year and then gets repeated next year you could have a full blown theory to call your own. Let us know how it works out for ya. Oh, yeah, my pick on the SoCon this year - Appy, Furman, and then GSU - order is unimportant. Oh, and Montana wins the Big Sky, and they could share it with someone. Phew, all this prognosticating is exhausting! ;)

OL FU
August 14th, 2006, 02:50 PM
Yup, two years in a row with basically the same teams (oh, that is if you count Richmond in as well since they won the South last year - Big 5 then?), quite the trend you have going there. Gee if it holds up to be true this year and then gets repeated next year you could have a full blown theory to call your own. Let us know how it works out for ya. Oh, yeah, my pick on the SoCon this year - Appy, Furman, and then GSU - order is unimportant. Oh, and Montana wins the Big Sky, and they could share it with someone. Phew, all this prognosticating is exhausting! ;)

You are catching on:nod: :smiley_wi

LacesOut
August 14th, 2006, 02:53 PM
Towson to finish last????

89Hen
August 14th, 2006, 03:30 PM
I know you're still baiting, but I'd love to hear how it adds credibility to your "Big Four" theory. I'm not sure you've disclosed who your "big four" are. Maine, W&M, Villanova and Richmond all have as many wins (2) in the playoffs as UNH does since 2000 and two more than UMass who I assume you're trying to include in a "big four". :confused: :confused: :nono:

OL FU
August 14th, 2006, 03:54 PM
I know you're still baiting, but I'd love to hear how it adds credibility to your "Big Four" theory. I'm not sure you've disclosed who your "big four" are. Maine, W&M, Villanova and Richmond all have as many wins (2) in the playoffs as UNH does since 2000 and two more than UMass who I assume you're trying to include in a "big four". :confused: :confused: :nono:

I was baiting and I apologize. This is the wrong forum.

PS
UMASS, UNH, JMU and UD;)

89Hen
August 14th, 2006, 04:04 PM
UMASS, UNH, JMU and UD;)
That's what I thought. It's just funny to see teams that have not consistently made the playoffs any more than 3-4 others in the A10 mentioned as 'big four". It's actually a discussion that comes up a lot on A10 boards. Back in 2001 we heard from Maine fans that they were poised to make a long run at the top of the A10. Same thing from JMU fans after 2004. UNH fans haven't been as vocal about it, but if they perform as expected this year, I'm sure the talk will be there. The only constant in the A10 is change.

OL FU
August 14th, 2006, 04:10 PM
That's what I thought. It's just funny to see teams that have not consistently made the playoffs any more than 3-4 others in the A10 mentioned as 'big four". It's actually a discussion that comes up a lot on A10 boards. Back in 2001 we heard from Maine fans that they were poised to make a long run at the top of the A10. Same thing from JMU fans after 2004. UNH fans haven't been as vocal about it, but if they perform as expected this year, I'm sure the talk will be there. The only constant in the A10 is change.

Not smacking but it would not surprise me to see JMU UD and UMASS stay near the top for a while. UNH is difficult to figure out especially for the outsider. From what I understand just not foot ball territory. But I have them as my number one so I must like them:nod:

89Hen
August 14th, 2006, 04:17 PM
Not smacking but it would not surprise me to see JMU UD and UMASS stay near the top for a while.
I guess it depends on what you call 'near'. No smack either but UMass and JMU each have one trip to the playoffs in the last six years. That said, I wouldn't be surprised to see either/both in the playoffs again this year.

DTSpider
August 14th, 2006, 05:39 PM
I always find it weird how Richmond fits in as well. We're pretty much all or nothing. Shared 3 titles in the last 8 years which is as much as anyone. However, the off years are often below .500.

Compare that to say W&M which I think has only 1 shared title but above .500 every year.

I don't think that any team in the A10 consistently over the last 6 or 8 years has finished always in the top 3 or bottom 3.

WMTribe90
August 14th, 2006, 05:48 PM
Actually WM split the title in 2001 and 2004 over the last eight years. We won it outright in 1996. So, three titles in eight years, but you are correct in that last year was the first time WM has had a losing record in conference. WM has not finished below .500 against its IAA schedule since the eighties. WM fans take as much pride in being consistency competitive as we do our priodical conference championships and playoff appearences. I have a feeling UR will achieve a similar level of consistency under Clawson. URI and Towson are the only two teams that havn't taken a turn at the top of the A10 in recent memory. Towson is still getting up to speed and I have a feeling they will be vying for both the playoffs and an A10 title in another two or three years. If Villanova returns to form and Towson continues to improve the A10 South will be plain brutal in a few years.

UD, JMU, WM, UR, Villanova and Towson.

UNHWildCats
August 14th, 2006, 05:53 PM
Santos has been UNH football, the rise of the team has been because of him. I wont go out and compare them to perrenial powerhouses because they haven't proven yet that they can take advantage ofn this run and turn it into great recruitting classes to keep the team atop for the long run, though this year will begin to tell us the direction. Also for UNH to remain high after Santos leaves they need a new stadium.

This run has been great for New Hampshire and has reminded Granite Staters that UNH does have football. IF UNH capitalizes on this run, New Hampshire wont soon forget the team.

And just an opinion, I think if UNH wants to attract larger crowds that should move there football games to Manchester, NH which has interstate highway access from everywhere in the state and region. Im not sure if any team has a stadium off campus, but it could help the team.

Tribe4SF
August 14th, 2006, 08:56 PM
There's only one thing certain in predicting four or five teams to dominate the A-10. That is that you will be wrong.:rotateh:

Mr. C
August 14th, 2006, 10:47 PM
Santos has been UNH football, the rise of the team has been because of him. I wont go out and compare them to perrenial powerhouses because they haven't proven yet that they can take advantage ofn this run and turn it into great recruitting classes to keep the team atop for the long run, though this year will begin to tell us the direction. Also for UNH to remain high after Santos leaves they need a new stadium.

While Santos comes into the year as the premier I-AA quarterback, I think you give him way too much credit. Mike Granieri would have been just as successful, if not more so, as a senior, if he had not injured his knee in the first game. A lot of people inside A-10 circles were telling me that New Hampshire was a team to watch at the media day in 2004 before any of them knew anything about Santos. There were a lot of players that have helped the Wildcats have success in the past two years. A lot of people believe that David Ball is the best player on the team, not Santos. I voted Ball higher in the Payton Award balloting last year than I did Santos. You saw how effective Santos was without Ball when Ball sprained his ankle in the 2004 playoffs. I don't mean this to sound like I am trashing Ricky at all, I just think it's simplistic to give him most of the credit.

blukeys
August 15th, 2006, 01:17 AM
While Santos comes into the year as the premier I-AA quarterback, I think you give him way too much credit. Mike Granieri would have been just as successful, if not more so, as a senior, if he had not injured his knee in the first game. A lot of people inside A-10 circles were telling me that New Hampshire was a team to watch at the media day in 2004 before any of them knew anything about Santos. There were a lot of players that have helped the Wildcats have success in the past two years. A lot of people believe that David Ball is the best player on the team, not Santos. I voted Ball higher in the Payton Award balloting last year than I did Santos. You saw how effective Santos was without Ball when Ball sprained his ankle in the 2004 playoffs. I don't mean this to sound like I am trashing Ricky at all, I just think it's simplistic to give him most of the credit.

I agree with your assessment. I also think that giving so much credit to Santos neglects the great coaching job that is done by the entire UNH staff.

UNH was a very tough team in 2003 who lost a lot of very tough close games against some very good teams. For people who have followed the program for quite some time UNH's success is not a surprise. UNH has always been a tough competitor in my view and it has not been a one time deal.

Most of us who follow the A-10 have known this for some time. The fact that folks in New Hampshire have not caught on says more about them then the team.

Umass74
August 15th, 2006, 07:59 AM
In the 30+ years I've been following Yankee/A10/CAA football, UNH and Maine were always the "Black and Blue" division of the conference. You did not want to play them on their home fields. They sometimes did not have a lot of talent, but they rarely lost on the bloody nose count...

UNH 40
August 15th, 2006, 08:33 AM
Easy UNHWILDCATS, I agree that Santos is unbelievable, and he does have a large hand in turing this program around, and he will go down as one of the most prolific QB's in I-AA history. But the credit goes to Coach Mac and staff, especially on the defensive side of the ball. For the past 10-15 years UNH has averaged 400 plus yards per game, but the defense has never held up there end of the bargain. Despite what many people think the UNH defense has been the difference maker in the past 2 seasons. Before people jump all over this statement let me remind people again that UNH played second teamers in the second half of 8 games in 2005 which is in large part the reason for the 22 points per game allowed by UNH last season. Much of the same happened in 2004 when the UNH defense gave up just over 24 points per game, but several times it was the second teamers in there giving up the points in the second half. The coaches installed a new defense before the 2003 season and it has gradually gotten better over the past three years. This season will be very interesting on defense, their are some players on the defensive side of the dall this season that have great talent and again could be the difference maker.

GannonFan
August 15th, 2006, 09:11 AM
WM has not finished below .500 against its IAA schedule since the eighties. .

Just a correction, it was 1991 the last time W&M went below .500 in its IAA schedule - they went 4-5 that year against I-AA teams.

As for the conference, I agree with most posts here - everybody has had their shot at being at the top of the conference recently, except for URI and Towson. You can make a good case for UD being the preeminent program in the conference, but even UD has struggled of late in the conference, at least since 2000, so there are no sure things in the A10 except change. And with Towson having the kind of upside that they have (big school, great facilities, good location) they won't be a down team for much longer.

With UNH, people also seem to forget that UNH had always been a very respectable program for years under Bill Bowes. They had gone something close to 20 years without a losing record until 1997, and won a few titles in the process. UNH is not a johnny-come-lately when it comes to playing good football. Obviously they fell on some hard times with the coaching change at the end of the 90's, but as Mr. C points out, even before Santos and Ball emerged, UNH under Granieri was picked as the surprise team in 2004 before he blew out his knee so they were coming back up even before Santos emerged. They owe a lot of their current success to Santos and Ball, but they aren't a two-man team (at least the past two years they haven't been).

henfan
August 15th, 2006, 09:42 AM
In the A-10 and in all of I-AA, not much separates the very best from the very mediocre. Typically, the difference is a good degree of luck.

Depth is an issue when you can only offer 63 scholarships. A reminder that a few key injuries can torpedo even those teams with the highest of expectations.

89Hen
August 15th, 2006, 11:20 AM
Mike Granieri would have been just as successful, if not more so, as a senior, if he had not injured his knee in the first game
I'm not sure the question is whether Granieri would have been as successful, but would somebody not named Santos or Granieri been? I remember the collective sigh of relief in Delaware Stadium when Granieri went down in that game and a fourth string freshman came in. Keep in mind that nobody wished him hurt, but you know what I mean. Granieri was one of the top QB's in I-AA, Santos in now. Sure some of it can be the coaching and supporting cast, but I think UNH may have just struck gold twice. The big test will be what happens when Ball graduates and then what happens when Santos graduates. Neither are the whole team, but they are probably the most important pieces. :twocents:

GannonFan
August 15th, 2006, 12:12 PM
I think it'll be interesting how they do without McCoy this year (I think that was his name, the RB) - he was a lot more useful than people gave him credit for. You can't throw to Ball on every play, so someone else needs to provide offense.

UNH 40
August 15th, 2006, 12:58 PM
I think it'll be interesting how they do without McCoy this year (I think that was his name, the RB) - he was a lot more useful than people gave him credit for. You can't throw to Ball on every play, so someone else needs to provide offense.

John McCoy was his name and you are right he was a very good back that I thought was under utilized last season, not many people know that he averaged 5.4 yds per carry which was good for second best in the A10 last season. Anyways, back to your point. UNH has a very promissing group of RB's waiting in the wings here. I believe that there are three that are legit contributers this season. Chris Ward 6'2" 220 Jr. is a power runner who looks to be the starter for now, however there is a young man named Kaysonne Anderson 5'10 200 SO. who may have been the starter last season had he not torn his ACL that is back and looking very good in camp. He was very highly touted out of high school and offered at many DIA schools but a hamstring injury made them pull the scholarships. Also another very intriguing RB in the system is a freshman out of Cali. named Chad Kackert 5'8" 190 who is very shifty and has 4.4 speed. It will be very interesting to see who gets the majority of the carries this season, whomever it is they will fillin nicely for McCoy.

UNH has a lot of weapons other than Ball, Keith LeVan had 54 catches last season and Aaron Brown had 46 catches last season. That is what makes UNH so tough to stop offensively, they can beat you with so many guys.

umassfan
August 15th, 2006, 01:08 PM
You stick any RB in a system with Santos and Ball, they will get their yards. Most teams gear toward the pass because they prob do that 80% of the time leaving the running game wide open. I dont expect the running game to be an issue with UNH this season. Defense is another issue though.

UNH 40
August 15th, 2006, 01:17 PM
actually UNH was like 55-45 pass to run last season.

GannonFan
August 15th, 2006, 01:40 PM
You stick any RB in a system with Santos and Ball, they will get their yards. Most teams gear toward the pass because they prob do that 80% of the time leaving the running game wide open. I dont expect the running game to be an issue with UNH this season. Defense is another issue though.

I disagree with that - there were plenty of times over the past two years where UNH had to grind out some yards on the ground, especially in 3rd and shorts, and McCoy was especially good at being able to do that. He was a great blocking back in the backfield, and he had speed to boot. I agree that playing in that offense takes the pressure off a little bit, but I liked what I saw in McCoy - he's not an easy RB to replace.

UNH 40
August 15th, 2006, 01:51 PM
I disagree with that - there were plenty of times over the past two years where UNH had to grind out some yards on the ground, especially in 3rd and shorts, and McCoy was especially good at being able to do that. He was a great blocking back in the backfield, and he had speed to boot. I agree that playing in that offense takes the pressure off a little bit, but I liked what I saw in McCoy - he's not an easy RB to replace.

You also have to remember that over the past 2 season UNH has had its best O-line in over a decade. The big guys up front have been tremendous in there run of success. They have protected Santos so well and they have open huge running lanes for their backs. It all starts and ends on the offensive and defensive line.

PapaBear
August 15th, 2006, 03:40 PM
The big test will be what happens when Ball graduates and then what happens when Santos graduates.

This I can say with a high degree of certainty: UNH does not have a Granieri or Santos in the wings at QB. They have not had good luck recruiting that position in recent years.

Feel free to contradict me, UNH posters. But I believe my statement is accurate.

UNHWildCats
August 15th, 2006, 03:51 PM
I think its too early to say, the Qbs on the roster still have 2 seasons to develop behind Santos and you really cant make a true determination on a QB til hes actually playing in the system. Who would have though Santos would have been doing so great before he came in the game as the 4th QB on the depth chart. Or Tom Brady replacing Bledsoe, or even the USC guy New England drafted after he played like 11 plays in college and has done so well in just over 1 year in the NFL the Patriots decided against a veteran backup for Brady.

In an earlier post, I said I wont make any determination on UNH being a long term threat until we see how the recruiting pans out (which we should start seeing this year) and if the recruiting continues towards the better.

also some people criticized my comment earlier about Santos being UNH. What I meant by that is that since hes been the QB here this team has movedd to the top of the nation not just the A-10. Yes Great coaching and David Ball have a lot to do with it, but Santos has been the key.

UNH 40
August 15th, 2006, 08:30 PM
This I can say with a high degree of certainty: UNH does not have a Granieri or Santos in the wings at QB. They have not had good luck recruiting that position in recent years.

Feel free to contradict me, UNH posters. But I believe my statement is accurate.

You couldn't be more wrong. Last year they had a kid out of Cali. named Crooks or something he was ranked the 25th best QB recruit in the country, but he couldn't make the grades to get into UNH. This season the had another Californian commit named T.J. Toman and he was ranked the 16th best QB recruit in the country and from what I have heard turned down several scholarship offers from D-IA schools.

Chi Panther
August 15th, 2006, 09:36 PM
You couldn't be more wrong. Last year they had a kid out of Cali. named Crooks or something he was ranked the 25th best QB recruit in the country, but he couldn't make the grades to get into UNH. This season the had another Californian commit named T.J. Toman and he was ranked the 16th best QB recruit in the country and from what I have heard turned down several scholarship offers from D-IA schools.

The #16 QB in country from California...commits to UNH????
Do you have a link?

UNHWildCats
August 15th, 2006, 09:54 PM
Do you have a link?

I haven't found a ranking for him among QB recruits, but this is what i did find, he was the backup to the #1 QB in the nation last year and he was sought after by Boston College, Illinois and Utah among other teams.

rcny46
August 15th, 2006, 11:04 PM

Actually,as UNH40 pointed out,they have snared a few good prospects over the last two years.Jacob Crook(Glendora,Ca.) was recruited in `05,but backed out to pursue baseball instead.He was ranked #26 by Rivals.Another QB brought in that year was a Chris Alexander who was considered a good prospect out of Florida.He fell victim to academic issues,and is gone.This year,RJ Toman from Mission Viejo,Ca.was their top recruit at the QB slot.They were ranked number 1 in the high school national rankings last year until losing in the state playoffs and ended up 12-1.He is supposedly a good runner and an excellent passer,and the press release put out by UNH last February said he was the #14 ranked QB coming out of HS last fall,again by Rivals.com.I haven't been able to verify that though.BTW,the guy that was number 3 on the depth chart for this seaon behind Santos and Hendriks,Bruce Elia,has left school,so we are left with two players with experience.I also read something this week which said that a projected starter on the OL had back surgery in May,and most likely won't play again,and one of the #2's at DE also left to pursue-you guessed it-baseball somewhere else.UNH isn't exactly blessed with a lot of depth at some positions,especially on the defensive line,so as usual I worry about this news somewhat.There will be 3 new starters on the O line,4 if you count the tight end position.Time will tell I guess how the new players work out as the season moves along.They will be getting their baptism under fire in Evanston right off the bat.That will be Northwestern's second game which should be to their benefit.(I think they return the number 2 rusher in the big 10 from last year.He had 250 yds. against Wisconsin.)

UNH 40
August 16th, 2006, 07:04 AM
Do you have a link?

He was ranked #14 by rivals.com my bad.

PapaBear
August 16th, 2006, 10:08 AM
Actually,as UNH40 pointed out,they have snared a few good prospects over the last two years.Jacob Crook(Glendora,Ca.) was recruited in `05,but backed out to pursue baseball instead.He was ranked #26 by Rivals.Another QB brought in that year was a Chris Alexander who was considered a good prospect out of Florida.He fell victim to academic issues,and is gone.This year,RJ Toman from Mission Viejo,Ca.was their top recruit at the QB slot.They were ranked number 1 in the high school national rankings last year until losing in the state playoffs and ended up 12-1.He is supposedly a good runner and an excellent passer,and the press release put out by UNH last February said he was the #14 ranked QB coming out of HS last fall,again by Rivals.com.I haven't been able to verify that though.BTW,the guy that was number 3 on the depth chart for this seaon behind Santos and Hendriks,Bruce Elia,has left school,so we are left with two players with experience.I also read something this week which said that a projected starter on the OL had back surgery in May,and most likely won't play again,and one of the #2's at DE also left to pursue-you guessed it-baseball somewhere else.UNH isn't exactly blessed with a lot of depth at some positions,especially on the defensive line,so as usual I worry about this news somewhat.There will be 3 new starters on the O line,4 if you count the tight end position.Time will tell I guess how the new players work out as the season moves along.They will be getting their baptism under fire in Evanston right off the bat.That will be Northwestern's second game which should be to their benefit.(I think they return the number 2 rusher in the big 10 from last year.He had 250 yds. against Wisconsin.)

OK. I stand corrected. I had a long answer written, describing what I know about your QB situation and Rivals Rankings, but I'll let it slide for now, because at the end of the day, I am a huge fan of your program and of Coach Mac. May you enjoy the same success as last year, except of course on Nov. 18 in Orono.

Chi Panther
August 16th, 2006, 10:17 AM
congrats!!! great recruiting!!!!

do you have a link?

GannonFan
August 16th, 2006, 10:38 AM
I don't have a link but I can confirm remembering UNH getting that guy when the news came out. It isn't uncommon for guys from California to play on the East Coast - nova actually gets a few players from Cali every year.

As for not having anybody after Santos, remember, no one thought one iota about Santos when he was the 4th string QB a week before the season started back in 2004. Then, one QB leaves, the backup gets hurt in practice, and the starter goes down with a knee injury in the second quarter of the first game, and then everyone knows about Santos. There are always surprises in college football and even UNH was surprised with Santos. You just never know.

PapaBear
August 16th, 2006, 11:06 AM
I don't have a link but I can confirm remembering UNH getting that guy when the news came out. It isn't uncommon for guys from California to play on the East Coast - nova actually gets a few players from Cali every year.

As for not having anybody after Santos, remember, no one thought one iota about Santos when he was the 4th string QB a week before the season started back in 2004. Then, one QB leaves, the backup gets hurt in practice, and the starter goes down with a knee injury in the second quarter of the first game, and then everyone knows about Santos. There are always surprises in college football and even UNH was surprised with Santos. You just never know.

True. But there's a difference between having "nobody serviceable" and "nobody at all."

UNH 40
August 16th, 2006, 11:13 AM
congrats!!! great recruiting!!!!

do you have a link?

Here is the link.
http://www.unhwildcats.com/football/20052006/020106.shtml

And here is what is says about there QB recruit TJ Toman:

R.J.Toman, a 6-1, 190-pound QB/DB from Mission Viejo, Calif., was an outstanding field general at Mission Viejo High School who can beat an opponent with his arm and his feet. During his senior campaign R. J. led MVHS to a 12-1 record and a No. 3 ranking in California. One of the top quarterbacks in the nation, Toman is ranked No. 14 by Rivals.com. Toman completed 107 of 166 pass attempts for 1,804 yards. and 24 touchdowns, while also throwing only five interceptions. He also ran for 320 yards on 29 carries and three touchdowns. His quarterback rating was 196.23. He was also named MVP of the South Coast League, one of the top prep leagues in the country. He is a letterwinner in baseball and track. He has outstanding vision on the field and will add depth to the quarterback position at UNH.

Tribe4SF
August 16th, 2006, 02:47 PM

If you're talking about RJ Toman, he was not ranked nationally by Rivals as either a pro or dual-threat QB. He had two-stars and a 5.0 rating (the lowest to get 2 stars), and I think was ranked #14 among West Coast QBs.
They show his only offer as UNH.

DTSpider
August 16th, 2006, 02:58 PM
Wait...you mean a team may inflate the prominence of an incoming recruit? :rolleyes:

JMU Duke Dog
August 16th, 2006, 03:00 PM

JMU's class of 2006 recruiting class includes incoming QB Steve Crooks out of University, CA near Irvine. Maybe he played against UNH's incoming QB Toman out of Mission Viejio as it is not too far away, but then again I am not too familiar with California high school football at all!

UNHWildCats
August 16th, 2006, 03:37 PM
If you're talking about RJ Toman, he was not ranked nationally by Rivals as either a pro or dual-threat QB. He had two-stars and a 5.0 rating (the lowest to get 2 stars), and I think was ranked #14 among West Coast QBs.
They show his only offer as UNH.

Boston College was interested in him as well.

Tribe4SF
August 16th, 2006, 04:19 PM
Wait...you mean a team may inflate the prominence of an incoming recruit? :rolleyes:

That only happens at JMU.;)

th0m
August 16th, 2006, 06:34 PM
That only happens at JMU.;)

OI! :P