PDA

View Full Version : Is this officially the SEC vs FCS weekend?

bojeta
November 17th, 2012, 11:39 AM
7 SEC vs FCS games today. Is this typical? I know SEC teams like to schedule FCS teams late in the season, but I never noticed they were mostly on the same day.

Alabama vs West Carolina
Florida vs Jacksonville St
South Carolina vs Wofford
Georgia vs Georgia Southern
Auburn vs Alabama A&M
Texas A&M vs Sam Houston
Kentucky vs Samford

EKU Toss Sweep
November 17th, 2012, 11:58 AM
It's becoming more and more typical. Let's the SEC get healthy and rested late in the year as FCS teams risk late season playoff impacting injuries. Although I'm not sure which end of the schedule is better. EKU cashed their check in the season opener at Purdue and lost a starting tight end in the process. I guess we learned how to play without him through the season, but might not be 8-3 and on the bubble if we hadn't lost him early.

Obvously, no injury is ever good. Would you rather suffer early and take injuries that might keep you out of the playoff hunt? Or would you rather wrap up a playoff spot while healthy and be playing Georgia and Texas A&M today?

It looks like EKU joins the day of fun in 2014 as we take Jacksonville State's spot on the Gators schedule.

bojeta
November 17th, 2012, 12:11 PM
I suppose one tactic might be to schedule the game late. If you need an FBS win to get consideration or recruiting recognition (and you think it's possible), then you can play your heart out, and risk the injuries. Also, if you're already out of the playoff picture, you can let it all hang out, and hope for a memorable experience. If you're already playoff bound, you can play your scrubs, and seniors that are not starters, cash your check and head to the playoffs without fear of injuries impacting your playoffs.