PDA

View Full Version : I-A schools reaction to name change

JMU1992
August 13th, 2006, 10:15 PM
I am a little curious if anyone on this board has seen anything on any I-A message boards regarding the name change for I-A and I-AA. It would be interesting to hear what the reaction is, if any reaction at all, by the I-A schools. My assumption is that most know nothing about it.

I know we all, well most of us anyway, also love I-A football and probably post on I-A boards as well as this one. It might help in educating our I-A bretheren and getting the word out if we posted on those boards the impending name change.

blukeys
August 13th, 2006, 10:46 PM
I don't see this as a big deal to I-A.
They already get most of the money and attention, the name change will not effect that. We will get some lame comments from lame sports writers who are too lazy or dumb to come up with a REAL News story about I-A. (I guess I'm late Dodd has already done his pajama column)

I will not waste any energy posting on I-A boards. Wins get more respect than name changes.

JMU1992
August 13th, 2006, 10:51 PM
My guess is that your are right. The majority will either not care or think it is rediculous, or both.

BaylorTitan
August 13th, 2006, 10:57 PM
95% of the D1-A fans arnt even aware of the change.

JaxSinfonian
August 13th, 2006, 11:09 PM
Heck, 95 percent of I-A fans aren't even aware of the term "I-A."

That's why this change will be met with widespread confusion: most people were perfectly ignorant of the way things were before the change. I expect a little headscratching, and then a return to perfect ignorance of the new terminology.

We I-AA fans will still have before us the constant task of educating the majority of football fans and sports "journalists" for the foreseeable future.

ucdtim17
August 13th, 2006, 11:32 PM
The ones I've seen think it's the PC police run amok again - many are of the same opinion as dodd

blukeys
August 13th, 2006, 11:34 PM
Heck, 95 percent of I-A fans aren't even aware of the term "I-A."

That's why this change will be met with widespread confusion: most people were perfectly ignorant of the way things were before the change. I expect a little headscratching, and then a return to perfect ignorance of the new terminology.

We I-AA fans will still have before us the constant task of educating the majority of football fans and sports "journalists" for the foreseeable future.

I agree 100%. When I explain in person the I-AA situation to a I-A fan all have been appreciative of the infomation. None have been dismissive or disrespectful. My favorite question was from a Navy fan in 2003. It was "So what Bowl game can Delaware go to?" That is the thought process of the typical I-A fan. I don't blame them. They all have real jobs that require their attention and they spend a lot of time following their own teams.

However, the ignorance displayed by sportswriters I will never forgive. :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
After all their jobs consist of knowing solely about football in the fall. If I can learn about D-2 and D-3 as a voluntary part time nonpaid enterprise, these lame jerks should certainly be able to do the same.

The amount of pure laziness and ignorance I have seen in sports reporting galls me to no end.

When I read complaints about Delaware's Press box my instinctive reaction is SC**W You!!!!!! You are getting paid to watch a game I paid $28.00 to see. If you don't like it, cover politics instead. I have no sympathy for whiney sports reporters. :bang: :( :( :(

PapaBear
August 14th, 2006, 05:42 AM
Wins get more respect than name changes.

Finally. I'm no longer a voice in the wilderness. Thank you, Blukeys.:hurray:

bluehenbillk
August 14th, 2006, 06:53 AM
95% of the people will continue to call it what they've been called for years.

August 14th, 2006, 07:25 AM
95% of the people will continue to call it what they've been called for years.same as all I-A lovers... shame that the sand bank is so warm you must stick your head in it...

NOTICE: The NCAA has officially given notice to I-A that the days of claiming the top collegiate championship are over. BS all you want but all you get is a crystal ball, not the official title. I hope the wallet makes you feel good. We'll take the record books and the fiscal responsibility... not to mention a real title.

usual that billk is the bearer of this "news"... BCS...

walliver
August 14th, 2006, 08:53 AM
NOTICE: The NCAA has officially given notice to I-A that the days of claiming the top collegiate championship are over. BS all you want but all you get is a crystal ball, not the official title. I hope the wallet makes you feel good. We'll take the record books and the fiscal responsibility... not to mention a real title.

The BCS people won't care about that. Life will go on as usual. 95% of the US population believes that Texas is the National Champion. That's not going to change. :bawling:

The only people in I-A who will care about the name changes will be the "mid-majors" who are trying to convince themselves that they are somehow better than I-AA. :nono:

DUPFLFan
August 14th, 2006, 09:28 AM
The only people in I-A who will care about the name changes will be the "mid-majors" who are trying to convince themselves that they are somehow better than I-AA. :nono:

Whoever said that the Mid Majors were better? People like you have posted that the mid majors were substandard and not worthy of a bid to the 1-aa playoffs.

Right now we are not BS or CS, we are NoS(ubdivision)

Golden Eagle
August 14th, 2006, 09:52 AM
He was talking about I-A mid-majors, aka the Sun Belt.

walliver
August 14th, 2006, 10:09 AM
I was referreing to I-A "Mid-majors". It probably is a bad term to use, but a couldn't think of a better word - "non-BCS I-A" is probably more accurate, but is a somewhat awkward phrase.

My basic point was that Sunbelt-type schools sometimes seem to go to great lengths to point out to their fans that I-A, even at Sunbelt level, is somehow better than I-AA.

ucdtim17
August 14th, 2006, 10:46 AM
In order to confuse things more, I saw on Sportscenter this morning that they put together a I-A top 10 - a Sportscenter "Championship Series"

Poly Pigskin
August 14th, 2006, 09:07 PM
In order to confuse things more, I saw on Sportscenter this morning that they put together a I-A top 10 - a Sportscenter "Championship Series"

Glad I'm not the only one who was confused by this. My brain started to hurt, and then I realized I was watching ESPN and they also are oblivious to anything on our level.

walliver
August 15th, 2006, 09:51 AM
Glad I'm not the only one who was confused by this. My brain started to hurt, and then I realized I was watching ESPN and they also are oblivious to anything on our level.

I've gotten to the point where I watch ESPN for the actual sporting events only, and change the channel when SportsCenter comes on. I enjoyed ESPN much more when they showed more sports and had less talk.

bluehenbillk
August 15th, 2006, 10:46 AM
same as all I-A lovers... shame that the sand bank is so warm you must stick your head in it...

usual that billk is the bearer of this "news"... BCS...

Hey, I told you never to use those 3 letters. And what's wrong with loving college football as a whole? I'd imagine the vast majority of the posters on this board love BOTH 1-AA & 1-A college football (as they're called now anyway). Don't be a hater!

JoshUCA
August 15th, 2006, 10:51 AM
Read this on CBS Sportsline.com

8. Let's call it what it is ...
... big-time football and everything else.

Instead, someone got their feelings hurt, the wheels of NCAA legislation started turning and while you were lounging by the pool, they came up with this over the summer:

From now on Division I-A is being referred to as the Football Bowl Division. Division I-AA will be known as the Football Championship Division.

Sniveling I-AA officials thought their division had become stigmatized. To one's surprise, that's probably the case. The 119 top-tier schools fill stadiums, produce the bulk of pro players and earn hundreds of millions in TV revenue.

I-AA? Not so much.

Now that that's fixed expect gobs of top 100 players to sign at places like Illinois State, Florida A&M and Northern Iowa. The balance of power will be shifted to Texas State, not Texas.

You see, those schools are no longer "stigmatized."

Yes, we think it's stupid too. You can count this space, at least, to continue to call it what it is.

http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/9595089

rufus
August 15th, 2006, 11:17 AM
I've always thought that eliminating the subdivisions would eliminate much of the confusion. There is a single Division I in all other sports, so why not try the same for football?

My proposal:
- Merge I-AA and I-A into a single division
- Allow Division I schools to play DII or DIII football if it is in their best interests
- Allow ALL Division I teams to award 85 scholarships
- Allow ALL Division I teams to qualify for the playoffs
- If a team wishes to compete for a bowl bid rather than a playoff bid, the team must declare their intent to do so before the start of the season
- Playoff auto bids will be awarded to any conference with 6 or more playoff-elligible teams (i.e. conferences in which the majority of schools have opted for playoffs) awarding an average of 50+ scholarships
- The playoff field is expanded if necessary, and all teams are seeded.
- Playoff home games are decided by seed rather than bid.

If most of the A10/CAA wants to play in the playoffs, but Delaware wants to roll the dice for a bowl payout, they will be allowed to do so. Conversely, Duke can decide that they are better off competing in the playoffs if that's the route they pick.

RadMann
August 15th, 2006, 11:25 AM
Below is a thread on this topic on the Navy board:

http://mb4.scout.com/fnavyfrm1.showMessage?topicID=7079.topic

rufus
August 15th, 2006, 11:59 AM
Below is a thread on this topic on the Navy board:

http://mb4.scout.com/fnavyfrm1.showMessage?topicID=7079.topic
A lot of those guys seem pretty well-informed when it comes to I-AA. It's also good to see that others on the I-A side of the division share my idea of a single Division I.

They should just do away with the 1-AA division anyway.

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How much lower in competition is the Southern Conference than the Sun Belt?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With some schools it's probably higher. But the question you need to ask is how much lower in competition is the Pioneer League than the Pac-10? That's why you have two divisions.
Exactly why the NCAA should let low-scholarship and no-scholarship teams play football in DII and DIII respectively.

ucdtim17
August 15th, 2006, 12:01 PM
Here's another reaction:

"Did they actually rename the divisions to the "Championship" and "BCS Bowl" divisions? I thought that was an Onion article or something. Please tell me it's true, so I can tell my roomate from Lehigh that his team is in fact no longer in Division 1 and that they could not infact beat ND even if they do go 10-2 every year. He seems to think Holy Cross and Lafayette are the competitive equals of Michigan and USC."

August 15th, 2006, 12:06 PM
Here's another reaction:

"Did they actually rename the divisions to the "Championship" and "BCS Bowl" divisions? I thought that was an Onion article or something. Please tell me it's true, so I can tell my roomate from Lehigh that his team is in fact no longer in Division 1 and that they could not infact beat ND even if they do go 10-2 every year. He seems to think Holy Cross and Lafayette are the competitive equals of Michigan and USC.":rolleyes: Yeah, well informed. :rolleyes:

August 15th, 2006, 12:08 PM
Exactly why the NCAA should let low-scholarship and no-scholarship teams play football in DII and DIII respectively.The NCAA is run by their members. The members of D-II and D-III do not want D-I schools playing in their divisions.

rufus
August 15th, 2006, 12:11 PM
:rolleyes: Yeah, well informed. :rolleyes:
Not sure where that quote came from, but it wasn't from the linked Navy thread. Not sure you should hold it against those guys.

rufus
August 15th, 2006, 12:14 PM
The NCAA is run by their members. The members of D-II and D-III do not want D-I schools playing in their divisions.
I would think that DII and DIII schools would want some of the current I-AAs in their division, but I guess I can't really speak for them. If DII and DIII are not willing to approve such a move, then all low-scholarship and non-scholarship programs can simply play in the single Division I.

August 15th, 2006, 12:15 PM
Not sure where that quote came from, but it wasn't from the linked Navy thread. Not sure you should hold it against those guys.I didn't say anything about the linked Navy thread.

rufus
August 15th, 2006, 12:21 PM
Ralph,
You seem very against the idea of a merged Division I. As long as we get to keep the playoffs in place, I don't really see any harm. I'd like to hear your thoughts.

ucdtim17
August 15th, 2006, 12:23 PM
Not sure where that quote came from, but it wasn't from the linked Navy thread. Not sure you should hold it against those guys.

ndnation.com

rufus
August 15th, 2006, 12:24 PM
Arrogance from Notre Dame fans? I find that hard to believe. :)

Russ B
August 15th, 2006, 12:25 PM
Read this on CBS Sportsline.com

"The 119 top-tier schools fill stadiums, produce the bulk of pro players and earn hundreds of millions in TV revenue."

"Top tier schools" like San Jose State. xlolx

August 15th, 2006, 12:40 PM
Ralph,
You seem very against the idea of a merged Division I. As long as we get to keep the playoffs in place, I don't really see any harm. I'd like to hear your thoughts.I don't know how you determined I am against the idea, I didn't say anything about it. Maybe you should start a thread about it?

rufus
August 15th, 2006, 12:50 PM
Good call. :thumbsup: