PDA

View Full Version : Where do App, GSU and Wofford fit in playoffs-- what do you guys think?

GSU Eagle
November 16th, 2012, 02:01 PM
Here would be my prediction:
Georgia Southern and Appalachian getting byes in 1st round and hosting in Round 2.
Wofford playing at home in 1st round.

Other thoughts.

asumike83
November 16th, 2012, 02:05 PM
I agree. None of them get a seed, GSU/ASU get 1st Round byes. Wofford not playing an all-DI schedule bites them and they have to play on Thanksgiving weekend.

Apphole
November 16th, 2012, 02:07 PM
Hopefully GaSo and Wofford are on the other side of the bracket. The TO is our kryptonite this year.

GATA_Eagles
November 16th, 2012, 02:08 PM
Still a lot of football to be played this weekend.

Right now GSU and App are 6 and 8 respectively. Here's a look at the top five for the week:

#1 NDSU (9-1) @ ISU-r (8-2)
#2 Montana State (9-1) @ Montana (5-5) -- the most interesting matchup this week. Montana State has only won at Wa-Griz 2 times
#3 Sam Houston State (8-2) @ FBS Texas A&M
#4 Old Dominion (9-1) @ #13 James Madison (7-3) -- it's hard to come out of JMU's stadium with a win
#5 Eastern Washington (8-2) @ Portland State (3-7)

All five of the current top five are on the road this week. I can see at least three of them losing (Montana State, Sam Houston, and ODU). That may be enough to propel either GSU or App into one of the lower seeds.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 16th, 2012, 02:19 PM
You guys obviously know the SoCon better than me so why do you think Ga Southern and App State deserve a 1st round bye over Wofford? They played both App State and Ga Southern on the road and won 1 of those games.

Samford and Citadel losses are basically a wash, right?

Are you basing your opinion solely on the respective schools' likely bid?

Apphole
November 16th, 2012, 02:20 PM
I almost prefer to have less home games. Some said this, not sure if it was here or the MMB, but to get the players out of those multi-million dollar locker rooms. So they don't walk by all those trophies when they walk into the coaches office.

GSU Eagle
November 16th, 2012, 02:21 PM
I think for right or wrong this FCS win total is important. App and GSU will have 8 FCS wins, Wofford (unless they somehow beat South Carolina) will have 7.

asumike83
November 16th, 2012, 02:33 PM
You guys obviously know the SoCon better than me so why do you think Ga Southern and App State deserve a 1st round bye over Wofford? They played both App State and Ga Southern on the road and won 1 of those games.

Samford and Citadel losses are basically a wash, right?

Are you basing your opinion solely on the respective schools' likely bid?

ASU/GSU would both outbid them if it came to that but I think Wofford winds up playing on Thanksgiving weekend because they scheduled a DII and will only have 7 DI wins. In the eyes of the committee, I think having 8 DI wins will make a difference.

mountaineer in Cane Land
November 16th, 2012, 02:42 PM
ya, part of it is the bid, whether you agree or disagree with the process, Apps not afraid to spend money to secure a home game. As far as Wofford, they only have 7 FCS wins, and they are going to end up behind App and GS in the polls, plus, their playoffs attendence is poor, so I doubt they would get into a bidding war for a home playoff spot.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 16th, 2012, 02:43 PM
ASU/GSU would both outbid them if it came to that but I think Wofford winds up playing on Thanksgiving weekend because they scheduled a DII and will only have 7 DI wins. In the eyes of the committee, I think having 8 DI wins will make a difference.

I hope you are right.

GSUhooligan
November 16th, 2012, 03:49 PM
9-2 gets GSU a #1/2 seed
App will get a first round bye and Wofford plays against the big south champ on TG weekend.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 16th, 2012, 03:51 PM
9-2 gets GSU a #1/2 seed
App will get a first round bye and Wofford plays against the big south champ on TG weekend.

No complaints forom me if they beat Georgia. What an ugly way to end the regular season...

Pitz
November 16th, 2012, 03:53 PM
Is Wofford's claim to a share of the SoCon title enough to overcome their 7 D-I wins stacked up against a likely number of 8 D-I win teams from power conferences? Oh Selection Sunday, you will be fun.

biggie
November 16th, 2012, 03:53 PM
Does depend a lot on games this weekend with team ahead of GSU and App. Some blowouts to FBS teams and some upsets put either GSU (with good showing vs UGA) or App as a possible 5 seed. All stays the same for rankings then both are unseeded and playing at home with 1st rd bye.

Woff probably does play first rd, not sure how much they usually bid to know if they'll be at home.

asumike83
November 16th, 2012, 04:07 PM
UGA has their sights on the BCS and they are preparing to face GT's offense. They'll be ready for the triple option, that one won't be close. Just stay healthy for the playoffs.

SpiritCymbal
November 16th, 2012, 04:09 PM
UGA has their sights on the BCS and they are preparing to face GT's offense. They'll be ready for the triple option, that one won't be close. Just stay healthy for the playoffs.

Yep. Drop back and save the equipment!

frozennorth
November 16th, 2012, 04:36 PM
app and gsu will have a week off then host.

wofford will be at home playing madden

mountaineer in Cane Land
November 16th, 2012, 04:41 PM
In this game GS is a victim of bad timing, Georgia is playing for a BCS bowl, and they have GT, next week, just a bigger, faster version of GS. Georgia is going to take this game very seriously, and to make things worse, Im sure the coaching staff has shown the video of the GS/Alabama game, just to remind his kids not to overlook GS. Having said this, if GS can establish the run like they did last year against Bama, then they can eat up the clock, and keep the game relatively close. I watched the game against Bama last year, and after about 10 minutes of the game, got the feeling Bama had no clue how to stop GS, maybe the same thing will happen tomarrow.

theasushow
November 16th, 2012, 04:47 PM
UGA will destroy GSU, just like they would destroy any other team in FCS.

SpiritCymbal
November 16th, 2012, 06:44 PM
UGA will destroy GSU, just like they would destroy any other team in FCS.

Agreed.

ASU_Fanatic
November 16th, 2012, 07:29 PM
I almost prefer to have less home games. Some said this, not sure if it was here or the MMB, but to get the players out of those multi-million dollar locker rooms. So they don't walk by all those trophies when they walk into the coaches office.

I agree, our biggest wins have came on the road this year (Samford, Georgia Southern). But I still want more games to go to lol

WrenFGun
November 16th, 2012, 08:09 PM
Wofford will need one of Villanova, JMU or Richmond (or SD State) to lose next week to get in, IMO.

LehighU11
November 16th, 2012, 08:11 PM
I think Wofford is done. Never should have scheduled one of the worst D2 programs when you have a guaranteed loss to an SEC school on your slate. SoCon is too tough to make the playoffs from.

Rekdiver
November 16th, 2012, 08:46 PM
Too many other bubbl e teams Wufford is out.

Drblankstare
November 16th, 2012, 09:16 PM
I'll agree with most and say that App and G.So get a week off and Woff hosts a first rounder. The real question, is which side of the bracket each falls in. God I can't wait till Sunday.

seantaylor
November 17th, 2012, 03:06 AM
In this game GS is a victim of bad timing, Georgia is playing for a BCS bowl, and they have GT, next week, just a bigger, faster version of GS. Georgia is going to take this game very seriously, and to make things worse, Im sure the coaching staff has shown the video of the GS/Alabama game, just to remind his kids not to overlook GS. Having said this, if GS can establish the run like they did last year against Bama, then they can eat up the clock, and keep the game relatively close. I watched the game against Bama last year, and after about 10 minutes of the game, got the feeling Bama had no clue how to stop GS, maybe the same thing will happen tomarrow.

Georgia Tech is not faster. Not even close.

Mr. Pink
November 17th, 2012, 08:00 AM
Georgia Tech is not faster. Not even close.

Agreed, if anything they actually might be a tad slower because of the size. They are significantly bigger though, I can't disagree with that.

mcveyrl
November 17th, 2012, 09:03 AM
I don't think Wofford makes it without help. A main consideration is whether the team played an all DI schedule. They didn't and only have 7 wins. That puts them in real jeopardy.

appmountaineer
November 17th, 2012, 11:35 AM
I think its a close call with wofford. I wouldn't be surprised to see them playing on thanksgiving weekend though.

mcveyrl
November 17th, 2012, 01:19 PM
The way they're playing now, they may not need any help....

SOCON DOMINATES
November 17th, 2012, 01:20 PM
Agree, the rumors of the Terriers not getting in should be answered by the 7-7 tie at the half at Williams-Brice. Really feel the Terriers would be worthy of bye, but would be on the road. Hopefully they will get a 1st round homer and I can get my son there to ride some cardboard on the hill!

drpnut
November 17th, 2012, 01:22 PM
For all the haters: Woffy is tied with South CArolina at half. Even if we lose I do not hin the committee can overlook our strong performance today. We get in the playoffs, not haters get off our jocks.

drpnut
November 17th, 2012, 01:23 PM
Agree, the rumors of the Terriers not getting in should be answered by the 7-7 tie at the half at Williams-Brice. Really feel the Terriers would be worthy of bye, but would be on the road. Hopefully they will get a 1st round homer and I can get my son there to ride some cardboard on the hill!

I agree. If we somehow win, ithink we have to get a seed.

drpnut
November 17th, 2012, 01:25 PM
Our defense is playing lights out and the offense, especially "frankenstien" are goint to be scary in the playoffs.

theasushow
November 17th, 2012, 01:28 PM
Be careful...I am pulling strongly for Wofford but many halftime ties turn out to be 49-7.

SOCON DOMINATES
November 17th, 2012, 01:29 PM
I agree. If we somehow win, ithink we have to get a seed.

Don't know if any of us will get a seed, but it were to happen I hope the Mountaineers get the nod. Being from the Boone area I do not want #7's career for the Terriers to end today?

mcveyrl
November 17th, 2012, 01:29 PM
To clarify, I'm not hating and wouldn't have any problem with Wofford getting in with a loss, but if you look at the criteria, they will get a minus for not playing an all DI schedule. Another criteria is W-L record and they will be up against several 8 win teams so they'll have to show that their 7 wins are better than the other teams' 8 wins.

Obviously a win today removes any questions. I don't think the committee considers "good" losses.

SOCON DOMINATES
November 17th, 2012, 01:32 PM
To clarify, I'm not hating and wouldn't have any problem with Wofford getting in with a loss, but if you look at the criteria, they will get a minus for not playing an all DI schedule. Another criteria is W-L record and they will be up against several 8 win teams so they'll have to show that their 7 wins are better than the other teams' 8 wins.

Obviously a win today removes any questions. I don't think the committee considers "good" losses.

How many FCS schools that get in the playoffs tomorrow would be tied at the half at USC? Not many if any, you put the 20 best teams in the playoffs after the auto qualifiers Wofford is one of the 20 best in the country. This is not rocket science!

frozennorth
November 17th, 2012, 01:34 PM
For all the haters: Woffy is tied with South CArolina at half. Even if we lose I do not hin the committee can overlook our strong performance today. We get in the playoffs, not haters get off our jocks.
the only way you get in is if you win.

mcveyrl
November 17th, 2012, 01:37 PM
How many FCS schools that get in the playoffs tomorrow would be tied at the half at USC? Not many if any, you put the 20 best teams in the playoffs after the auto qualifiers Wofford is one of the 20 best in the country. This is not rocket science!

I can promise you the committee does not care who you are tied with at the half. The criteria is spelled out. JMU beat ACC champ Va Tech two years ago, but they didn't have the seven wins other teams had. If you look at the criteria and who Wofford might be compared with, it's a tough call.

theasushow
November 17th, 2012, 01:39 PM

Well.....Georgia Southern is down only 10-7 to a more highly ranked UGA team approaching halftime.

ITmonarch10
November 17th, 2012, 01:42 PM
Well.....Georgia Southern is down only 10-7 to a more highly ranked UGA team approaching halftime. Honestly, It making think that Gatech might beat them. I don't think Georgia is going to beat bama playing like this.

dungeonjoe
November 17th, 2012, 01:44 PM
I hope Wofford gets in just to silence the experts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

theasushow
November 17th, 2012, 01:45 PM

i think it would be a travesty if a co-conference champion didnt get in.

dungeonjoe
November 17th, 2012, 01:46 PM
Honestly, It making think that Gatech might beat them. I don't think Georgia is going to beat bama playing like this.

It's funny that the problem is UGA not playing well and GSu well.

mcveyrl
November 17th, 2012, 01:48 PM
i think it would be a travesty if a co-conference champion didnt get in.

It's possible that the CAA could have six co-champions...
(Btw, if that happens I don't expect JMU to get in)

CID1990
November 17th, 2012, 02:55 PM
Touchdown Citadel!!

stevdock
November 17th, 2012, 03:17 PM
ASU and GSU have 8 wins. Wofford has 7, what's the difference between Wofford and SHSU then??

frozennorth
November 17th, 2012, 03:19 PM
shsu played for a title last year, basically. Otherwise shsu would likely be out too.

ITmonarch10
November 17th, 2012, 03:22 PM
ASU and GSU have 8 wins. Wofford has 7, what's the difference between Wofford and SHSU then??
You can throw in Towson and Indiana State as well. Its just a rep and possibly a poll position battle. If Sam Houston didn't have the playoff run last year we wouldn't even be considering them.

tractorapp
November 17th, 2012, 04:31 PM
I think Wofford had an all Division 1 schedule set and an ooc backed out at the last minute. Am I right, and who was that Wofford fans? I'm sure Wofford would have liked to get a D1 to replace them, but I guess none could be found. If I'm Wofford, I would consider long term home/home deals with PC and maybe Gardner Webb and be done with this problem. That would pretty much guarantee a an all D1 schedule every year with one money game. I think Charlie Cobb, ASU AD and chairman of the selection committee will work very hard to make sure Wofford makes the tournament.

theasushow
November 17th, 2012, 04:37 PM
I think Wofford had an all Division 1 schedule set and an ooc backed out at the last minute. Am I right, and who was that Wofford fans? I'm sure Wofford would have liked to get a D1 to replace them, but I guess none could be found. If I'm Wofford, I would consider long term home/home deals with PC and maybe Gardner Webb and be done with this problem. That would pretty much guarantee a an all D1 schedule every year with one money game. I think Charlie Cobb, ASU AD and chairman of the selection committee will work very hard to make sure Wofford makes the tournament.

Indeed, so if Wofford makes the tourney they can thank our AD. haha

Reign of Terrier
November 17th, 2012, 04:43 PM
You guys are being ahistorical. Wofford made the playoffs like 3to times with less of a resume than they do now. No way the committee lets the CAA get 4 in before the socon gets 3l in

Reign of Terrier
November 17th, 2012, 04:47 PM
2007 8-3 (7 d1 wins)
2011 8-3 (7 d1 wins)

The field is larger. Wofford is in.

Reign of Terrier
November 17th, 2012, 05:07 PM
In short, i guarantee that there will not be 4 teams from a conference before the socon gets 3 in

LehighU11
November 17th, 2012, 05:25 PM
I agree. Thanks to Indiana St losing, I think each of the four power conferences will get exactly 3 each. 2 from the Southland and Patriot League, with the NEC, MEAC, OVC, and Big South getting autobids only fill up the 20 slots well.

Reign of Terrier
November 17th, 2012, 05:27 PM
I agree. Thanks to Indiana St losing, I think each of the four power conferences will get exactly 3 each. 2 from the Southland and Patriot League, with the NEC, MEAC, OVC, and Big South getting autobids only fill up the 20 slots well.

I personally think 9-2 stony brook gets in over 10-1 lehigh but otherwise i agree

rokamortis
November 17th, 2012, 05:30 PM
I personally think 9-2 stony brook gets in over 10-1 lehigh but otherwise i agree

I think EKU may have a better case than Stony Brook.

ITmonarch10
November 17th, 2012, 05:30 PM

I agree and EWU is losing to Portland right now. GSU and App are back in the running for a seed if they fall.

theasushow
November 17th, 2012, 05:33 PM
I agree and EWU is losing to Portland right now. GSU and App are back in the running for a seed if they fall.

If EWU loses who do you give the seed to? Both teams are 8-3, GSU would make more sense since they won the auto-bid, but yet they lost the head to head.

Reign of Terrier
November 17th, 2012, 05:36 PM
I just don't buy that a conference co-champ from a big 4 conference wouldn't make it with a resume such as wofford's. Sure, we had a d2 game, but that has never been a disqualifier before, especially in an expanded field

ITmonarch10
November 17th, 2012, 05:42 PM
You guys are being ahistorical. Wofford made the playoffs like 3to times with less of a resume than they do now. No way the committee lets the CAA get 4 in before the socon gets 3l in

Stop using the CAA as measuring stick when our conference is a little down. We are probably only going to get 3 teams in this year. The people who would keep you out the playoffs are in the MVFC(#1 conference this year), Big Sky (expanded to 13 teams, Cal has a FBS win even with a loss to NAU), OVC (Committee loves EKY, UT-Martin for a FBS win), Stony Brook (Failing to win the big south), Sam Houston (Reputation from last year), and Lehigh (failing to win the patriot league).

dungeonjoe
November 17th, 2012, 07:39 PM
Stop using the CAA as measuring stick when our conference is a little down. We are probably only going to get 3 teams in this year. The people who would keep you out the playoffs are in the MVFC(#1 conference this year), Big Sky (expanded to 13 teams, Cal has a FBS win even with a loss to NAU), OVC (Committee loves EKY, UT-Martin for a FBS win), Stony Brook (Failing to win the big south), Sam Houston (Reputation from last year), and Lehigh (failing to win the patriot league).

"A little down"? Everybody is in first place in the CAA, how can that be?

mcveyrl
November 17th, 2012, 07:48 PM
I just don't buy that a conference co-champ from a big 4 conference wouldn't make it with a resume such as wofford's. Sure, we had a d2 game, but that has never been a disqualifier before, especially in an expanded field

Honest question: can you tell me a major difference between Wofford's resume and the CAA co-champs thus far (Towson, UR, UNH, Villanova)? I know another major factor is SoS - which is where JMU is lacking - but I don't know how all those SoS's compare.

EKUSteve
November 17th, 2012, 07:53 PM
Honest question: can you tell me a major difference between Wofford's resume and the CAA co-champs thus far (Towson, UR, UNH, Villanova)? I know another major factor is SoS - which is where JMU is lacking - but I don't know how all those SoS's compare.

I think the whole thing will come down to computers for those of us without an automatic bid and 8 wins...

Reign of Terrier
November 17th, 2012, 08:11 PM
For political purposes i highly doubt the CAA gets more thanthree or four in, having a five way tie for first is a circle jerk and a credence to parity but not necessarily strength

dungeonjoe
November 18th, 2012, 12:54 PM

For the record, I think Wofford shouldn't play D2 games. But, folks should not dismiss SoCon strength either.

King
November 18th, 2012, 12:57 PM
the only way you get in is if you win.

Pure genius