PDA

View Full Version : Savannah State: Another Long Off-Season

DFW HOYA
November 16th, 2012, 10:44 AM
Savannah State got plenty of attention early in the season but it appears a third straight 1-10 season is on the horizon Saturday. It's still better than its other fall sports team, volleyball, who finished 0-34.

Since running off Robby Wells (and paying an out of court settlement as a result), the Tigers have defeated just one Division I opponent. Next up: South Carolina State. Any chance in this one?

gsu2583
November 16th, 2012, 11:25 AM
No.

Vitojr130
November 16th, 2012, 11:50 AM
Savannah State got plenty of attention early in the season but it appears a third straight 1-10 season is on the horizon Saturday. It's still better than its other fall sports team, volleyball, who finished 0-34.

Since running off Robby Wells (and paying an out of court settlement as a result), the Tigers have defeated just one Division I opponent. Next up: South Carolina State. Any chance in this one?

I didn't think "Edward Waters" was a D1 opponent...

They are NAIA and I'm pretty sure SSU almost lost to them... ALMOST, but didn't..

DFW HOYA
November 16th, 2012, 12:23 PM
I didn't think "Edward Waters" was a D1 opponent...

They are NAIA and I'm pretty sure SSU almost lost to them... ALMOST, but didn't..

The Tigers defeated NC Central in 2010.

superman7515
November 16th, 2012, 01:04 PM
Who did they garner attention from in the preseason!? I'm pretty sure no MEAC fans had them at more than 2 wins and that was only by playing a lower division opponent and hoping for an upset.

kdinva
November 16th, 2012, 01:04 PM
S C State 35, Sav. St. 13

DJnva
November 16th, 2012, 01:24 PM
Who did they garner attention from in the preseason!? I'm pretty sure no MEAC fans had them at more than 2 wins and that was only by playing a lower division opponent and hoping for an upset.

He said "early in the season", not preseason, based on their games with Oklahoma St and FSU.

And yes, they beat Edward Waters College (enrollment 800), at homecoming, 42-35.

superman7515
November 16th, 2012, 01:53 PM
Apologies, you are correct... Who did they garner attention from early in the season!? I'm pretty sure no MEAC fans had them at more than 2 wins and that was only by playing a lower division opponent and praying for an upset. Maybe after I read it wrong, I misunderstood, so I'm hoping he meant attention for the wrong reasons, i.e. the paydays for beat downs, not people thinking they were going to win anything.

WileECoyote06
November 16th, 2012, 03:02 PM
The Tigers defeated NC Central in 2010.

And in 2011. I was so happy we didn't get Tiger'd this past year. Their 84-0 loss to Oklahoma State actually had the effect of causing MEAC schools to 'get-up' to play them. Weird, I know. . but honestly. . who wants to lose to the team that lost 84-0? A loss to them probably would have guaranteed a coach's exit, as well.

Jazzman1522
November 16th, 2012, 06:09 PM
Anybody else more stunned by the volleyball team's 0-34 record than the football team going 1-10? I am. You'd think they'd accidentally win at least one or something.

Eaglesrus
November 18th, 2012, 06:39 AM

So, Robbie Wells; what happened to his presidential candidacy, which is what at least part of that settlement was supposedly going to be used for?

DFW HOYA
November 18th, 2012, 09:04 AM
South Carolina State defeated Savannah 27-13 on Saturday.

Steve Davenport (two seasons, 2-20) will now try to become the first SSU coach in 20 years to make it through a third season. The Tigers have gone through 11 head coaches since 1992 and are 3-30 since Wells left.

DSUrocks07
November 18th, 2012, 09:48 AM
SSU's problem is that they haven't had any measure of consistency in their athletic department throughout their tenure on Division I. Too much turnover.

I for one would love to see SSU succeed in football. Its going to take some time but them being in a conference helps them immeasurably.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2