PDA

View Full Version : NCCU, Eastern Illinois, App State, Northwestern State, etc featured in NCAA news

WileECoyote06
November 16th, 2012, 08:55 AM
http://i.turner.ncaa.com/dr/ncaa/ncaa/release/sites/default/files/imagecache/640_width_max/ericklora-111512.jpg

Da Eagles and Da Bears: What does North Carolina Central and the Chicago Bears have in common? Besides NCCU Hall of Famer and Bears’ award-winning equipment manager Tony Medlin, the Eagles and Bears each have a knack for finding the end zone when the offense is off the field. Through 10 games, NCCU has scored nine touchdowns on defense and special teams. The Eagles have made trips to the end zone on five punt returns (the most in college football), a kickoff return, two interceptions and a fumble recovery.

Who’s at QB? Since the end of the 2009 season, William & Mary hasn’t had the same quarterback start three consecutive games. In that time, five different players have started behind center, almost exclusively because of shoulder injuries, more specifically torn labrums as three different guys have gone down with them since 2010 (two this year). The healthiest quarterback in that span is the person starting this weekend, and all he has dealt with is a staff infection, then, he came out of the hospital to start a game before his next start ended with him having a spiral fracture on his index finger on his right hand. This year, he has been pretty healthy, as he only has suffered a high ankle sprain, foot sprain and a concussion.

Pick ‘em: The 2012 NCAA Division I Football Championship bracket will be unveiled Sunday at 1:30 p.m. ET on ESPNU. The show will be the exclusive announcement of the 20 teams that will make the field. Matt Schick will be the host of the show, while Jay Walker will provide the analysis.

Panther Pass Catcher: Eastern Illinois wide receiver Erik Lora needs eight receptions on Saturday at Central Arkansas to break the FCS single season record for catches. He has 115 this season to rank 5th on the single season list. He has already broken the school and Ohio Valley Conference record for receptions and receiving yards in a season.

Full Story:
http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2012-11-15/nc-central-playing-bears

MorgantonAPPAlum
November 16th, 2012, 09:05 AM
Record Setter: Appalachian State QB Jamal Jackson is on the verge of nearly every single-season passing record in Mountaineer history, needing just 386 yards, 22 completions, one 200-yard game and two 300-yard games to match the school record in each category. The current Appalachian records of 3,291 passing yards, 257 completions and 10 200-yard passing games were all set by Armanti Edwards when he won the second of his two Walter Payton Awards in 2009.

22 completions and a 200 yards passing game-no problem, but 386 yards probably means that we have to win at least one playoff game. If he hadn't missed a large part of the WCU game he would be in much better shape, but right now I doubt he gets the record for 300 yard games.

WileECoyote06
November 16th, 2012, 09:08 AM
Either way, considering the name of Armanti Edwards among college football circles, he's doing his thing.

TheRevSFA
November 16th, 2012, 09:13 AM
I love the Chief Caddo mention. We'll keep it for another year.

http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/espn1420.com/files/2011/04/caddo1.jpg

WileECoyote06
November 16th, 2012, 09:14 AM
I love the Chief Caddo mention. We'll keep it for another year.

http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/espn1420.com/files/2011/04/caddo1.jpg

What's the history behind this rivalry, if you don't mind? I love rivalry week.

TheRevSFA
November 16th, 2012, 09:28 AM
So Nacogdoches, Texas (SFA) and Natchitoches, Louisiana (NW State) are sister cities, and are pretty much equidistant from the Sabine River (forms the border between Texas and Louisiana) and there are a ton of stories about how the areas were named. Here's my favorite

One version, as reported by historian Samuel Stewart Mims in "Rios Sabinas", credits the chief of an Adae Indian village on the Sabine River. The village was overpopulated and the chief ordered his two grown sons to report to him precisely at sunrise. He told one son to walk east and the other to walk west until the very moment of sunset. The sons were to establish a village at the place they reached. The son who went west wound up in a grove of persimmon trees, and named his village Nacogdoches, meaning persimmon. The eastbound son reached a grove of papaw trees and named his village Natchitoches, meaning papaw.

In 1960, the schools decided to play for a trophy, and the losing team from the 1961 game (SFA) had to donate a tree from the forests near them, and agreed that the statue would be an Indian chief. SFA delivered a 2,000 pound black gum log to a woodcarver, and he spent about 230 hours fashioning the log into the trophy. The schools named it Chief Caddo in honor of the tribe that was local to Nacogdoches and Natchitoches, and helped provide safety to the settlers of East Texas and Western Louisiana.

FYI the name Texas comes from the Caddo word "Tejas" which means "Friend"

asumike83
November 16th, 2012, 09:35 AM
22 completions and a 200 yards passing game-no problem, but 386 yards probably means that we have to win at least one playoff game. If he hadn't missed a large part of the WCU game he would be in much better shape, but right now I doubt he gets the record for 300 yard games.

I think he goes for two consecutive 400-yard games as we cruise into the Semi's. You gotta have faith! xbeerchugx

WileECoyote06
November 16th, 2012, 09:37 AM
So Nacogdoches, Texas (SFA) and Natchitoches, Louisiana (NW State) are sister cities, and are pretty much equidistant from the Sabine River (forms the border between Texas and Louisiana) and there are a ton of stories about how the areas were named. Here's my favorite

In 1960, the schools decided to play for a trophy, and the losing team from the 1961 game (SFA) had to donate a tree from the forests near them, and agreed that the statue would be an Indian chief. SFA delivered a 2,000 pound black gum log to a woodcarver, and he spent about 230 hours fashioning the log into the trophy. The schools named it Chief Caddo in honor of the tribe that was local to Nacogdoches and Natchitoches, and helped provide safety to the settlers of East Texas and Western Louisiana.

FYI the name Texas comes from the Caddo word "Tejas" which means "Friend"

I love it. And this is why college football is better than the pros. Great story!

TheRevSFA
November 16th, 2012, 09:47 AM
I love it. And this is why college football is better than the pros. Great story!

As much as I hate to admit it, NW State has one of the most beautiful campuses I have been on. The town of Natchitoches (not said as it is spelled..we say "Nac-a-tish" I'm sure the Louisianans on here will disagree) is worth going to.

MorgantonAPPAlum
November 16th, 2012, 10:28 AM
One version, as reported by historian Samuel Stewart Mims in "Rios Sabinas", credits the chief of an Adae Indian village on the Sabine River. The village was overpopulated and the chief ordered his two grown sons to report to him precisely at sunrise. He told one son to walk east and the other to walk west until the very moment of sunset. The sons were to establish a village at the place they reached. The son who went west wound up in a grove of persimmon trees, and named his village Nacogdoches, meaning persimmon. The eastbound son reached a grove of papaw trees and named his village Natchitoches, meaning papaw.

That's an awesome backstory for the rivalryxthumbsupx.

theasushow
November 16th, 2012, 12:08 PM
I didnt realize JJ was that close to breaking all of AE's records on the season. Granted, in 2009 we had a much better running game with AE a running threat, so I dont think we were passing as much as we do now....still impressive though! I also didnt realize that we had the 2nd longest strreak for consecutive winning seasons at 19. Unfortunately for Montana is appears as though their streak could come to an end this season and ASU will take over.

UAalum72
November 16th, 2012, 01:51 PM
As much as I hate to admit it, NW State has one of the most beautiful campuses I have been on. The town of Natchitoches (not said as it is spelled..we say "Nac-a-tish" I'm sure the Louisianans on here will disagree) is worth going to.
Last Saturday's "Car Talk" on NPR had a caller from Natchitoches. Only from AGS would I have known where it was, and from the show how it's pronounced.

citdog
November 16th, 2012, 06:20 PM
Last Saturday's "Car Talk" on NPR had a caller from Natchitoches. Only from AGS would I have known where it was, and from the show how it's pronounced.

should have been listening to the wedge. Do all cars on that show 'pull to the left'?

UAalum72
November 16th, 2012, 08:09 PM
Do all cars on that show 'pull to the left'?
No, that's the NASCAR channel.

walliver
November 17th, 2012, 07:46 AM

There are several "Natchitoches", and they are all pronounced differently. So, if you hear the name spoken, you know which one it is without having to specify the state.

Laker
November 17th, 2012, 09:26 AM
What's the history behind this rivalry, if you don't mind? I love rivalry week.

I found this list, which is missing some trophy games, but is very interesting. The Minnesota Gophers have four trophy games, which is too many, especially when they rarely win them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NCAA_college_football_rivalry_games