PDA

View Full Version : Fact: GPI Not Used in general at-large Selection

danefan
November 16th, 2012, 06:43 AM
Thanks to FargoBison for posting this article.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/380571/group/Sports/

Contrary to some FCS public opinion, the Gridiron Power Index poll is not a primary factor.

“We use it in a very limited fashion,” said Damani Leech, director of championships and alliances for the NCAA.

Specifically, the only time the GPI is used is if a team from the non-scholarship Pioneer League is on the cusp of making the field. For a Pioneer team to make it, a team must have eight Division I wins, with two coming against a team from a league that has an automatic qualifier, and it finishes the season ranked 20th or higher in an average of three top 25 polls: the coaches’, Sports Network media and the GPI.

“So (the GPI) is used to evaluate one team, and it’s one of the components of it,” Leech said.

A Pioneer team has never made the playoffs. It’s doubtful a team has even been close.

This is not meant to demean the GPI. It’s a rather accurate rating and considering a main FCS selection factor is strength of schedule, it’s a pretty good predictor on who will get in. The litmus test will be Indiana State, which if it beats Youngstown State on Saturday, will have seven D-I victories but a high GPI.

Leech said the FCS playoff committee does its own rankings via conference calls during the season, and when the group huddles this weekend in Indianapolis, they will have that chart in front of them. Wins versus Football Bowl Subdivision teams are very much a factor, he said.

danefan
November 16th, 2012, 06:46 AM
You want a good predictor? The AGS poll has consistently been more accurate than the GPI.

The AGS poll was a huge part of the GPI lending its own credibility to the computer averaging. That was, f course, until Ralph Wallace at CSN removed it.

So what do you get when you take a GPI that removes the best component?

A catalyst of message board fodder. Like every other poll.

UNH Fanboi
November 16th, 2012, 07:00 AM
Danefan, why do you make this a personal crusade of yours every November?

danefan
November 16th, 2012, 07:20 AM
Danefan, why do you make this a personal crusade of yours every November?

A couple reasons:

1. I take any chance I get to prove Ralph Wallace wrong.
2. I have an obsessive personality that requires me to hammer home a point until the person I'm hammering on acknowledges that I am correct.
3. It's fun.

heath
November 16th, 2012, 07:28 AM
A couple reasons:

2. I have an obsessive personality that requires me to hammer home a point until the person I'm hammering on acknowledges that I am correct.
3. It's fun.

very childishxnodx

danefan
November 16th, 2012, 08:10 AM
very childishxnodx

Agreed. xnodx

grayghost06
November 16th, 2012, 08:12 AM
A couple reasons:

3. It's fun.

Since we are not yet conference mates, will you please use your highlighted skills and call our FB coach. He seems to love running out of the shotgun on 3rd and 1 or 4th and inches.

danefan
November 16th, 2012, 08:16 AM
Since we are not yet conference mates, will you please use your highlighted skills and call our FB coach. He seems to love running out of the shotgun on 3rd and 1 or 4th and inches.

I've got my own battle to fight. Our OC loves to call play action passes on 3rd and short when we're back up against our own endzone. Succes rate: 0%. Pick-6 rate - extremely high.

kalm
November 16th, 2012, 08:18 AM
Also very honest. Good info in that article DF...thx!

grayghost06
November 16th, 2012, 08:21 AM
I've got my own battle to fight. Our OC loves to call play action passes on 3rd and short when we're back up against our own endzone. Succes rate: 0%. Pick-6 rate - extremely high.

Well, we had two safeties against us last week- so we're no better operating from the shadow of our own goal line.

Wallace
November 16th, 2012, 08:57 AM
http://www.collegesportingnews.com/content.php?863-NCAA-Using-CSN-s-GPI

You want a good predictor? The AGS poll has consistently been more accurate than the GPI.
Wrong again.

The AGS poll was a huge part of the GPI lending its own credibility to the computer averaging. That was, f course, until Ralph Wallace at CSN removed it.
Wrong again.

The GPI is not a poll. Troll alert.

Done feeding the troll.

danefan
November 16th, 2012, 09:16 AM

Wrong again.

Wrong again.

Done feeding the troll.

Prove your claims. I maintain the following points:

1. AGS Polls has historically been a better predictor of the playoff field than the GPI.
2. The AGS poll was one of 3 polls included in the GPI formula prior to 2011 until you unilaterally removed it from 2011 forward.

clenz
November 16th, 2012, 09:18 AM
ralph.....please go away

Sent from the nexus of the universe

Catbooster
November 16th, 2012, 11:08 AM

Wrong again.

Wrong again.

Done feeding the troll.
Your proof he's wrong is a press release from CSN that says the same thing his article did? Specifically that it's one of the things used if the PFL ever comes close?

I guess he showed you, Danefan.

danefan
November 16th, 2012, 11:10 AM
Your proof he's wrong is a press release from CSN that says the same thing his article did? Specifically that it's one of the things used if the PFL ever comes close?

I guess he showed you, Danefan.

I'm going to start quoting myself too. Seems to work for Ralph (who writes CSN).

Thanks to FargoBison for posting this article.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/380571/group/Sports/

bluehenbillk
November 16th, 2012, 11:14 AM
Saying the AGS Poll hasn't consistently been more accurate than the GPI in predicting at-large teams is categorically false.

If not, show me the proof...

lehidude
November 16th, 2012, 12:03 PM
"A Pioneer team has never made the playoffs. It’s doubtful a team has even been close."

One can certainly make an argument for the 2010 Jacksonville U team.

344Johnson
November 16th, 2012, 12:06 PM
http://www.growthgiant.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/split-test-success-kid-meme-290x166.jpg
Read entire thread. No Lehigh fans trying to justify playoff AT-LARGE bid.

Gringer1
November 16th, 2012, 12:21 PM
I remember an awesome thread about this from awhile back. At one point, the CSN poster decided to pretend to be a bot giving automated responses. I think you pretty much lose any argument when you resort to pretending to be a robot.

lehidude
November 16th, 2012, 12:30 PM
Read entire thread. No Lehigh fans trying to justify playoff AT-LARGE bid.

Not every Lehigh fan is attempting to justify an at-large bid.

tingly
November 16th, 2012, 05:11 PM
I take any chance I get to prove Ralph Wallace wrong. Then why did you tell Ralph to prove he was right? This is your big chance! Go! Go!

Grizalltheway
November 16th, 2012, 05:12 PM
Agreed. xnodx

Very lawyer-ish, too.xlolx

Ronin
November 16th, 2012, 05:37 PM

We too have our issues. An O-line that has problems blocking the pass rush or run. A coach that is in love with the wildcat on the goal line and our patent we can only have one running back in the backfield at a time.

Bisonwinagn
November 16th, 2012, 08:00 PM

So what do you get when you take a GPI that removes the best component?

The GPI has only missed one team each of the past few years. So has the AGS poll been 100% accurate? If not then it is not more accurate.

Engineer86
November 17th, 2012, 04:13 AM
The GPI has only missed one team each of the past few years. So has the AGS poll been 100% accurate? If not then it is not more accurate.

Missed one? In the final regular season poll, Nov 21. Illinois St, Indiana St and Chatty were all ranked above JMU who got in

Wallace
November 17th, 2012, 04:41 AM
Missed one? In the final regular season poll, Nov 21. Illinois St, Indiana St and Chatty were all ranked above JMU who got in

The Final GPI (regular and modified) indicated the following eligible at-large selections for the 2011 NCAA Division I Championships:
Northern Iowa
Wofford
Appalachian State
New Hampshire
Maine
Central Arkansas
Montana State
Old Dominion
James Madison
Illinois State
The selection committee chose all of them except they chose #33 Eastern Kentucky over #14/19 Illinois State.
http://www.collegesportingnews.com/content.php?692-Sam-Houston-State-Tops-the-Final-2011-Regular-Season-Gridiron-Power-Index-%28GPI%29

Again, the GPI is not an opinion poll.

danefan
November 17th, 2012, 05:46 AM
Then why did you tell Ralph to prove he was right? This is your big chance! Go! Go!

I've already put the evidence out there.

I actually really don't care which is more accurate. There are posters here that can better argue that point than I.

What I really care about is CSN's continued distribution of the false premise that the GPI is used for something other than the Bridge AQ.

It is not. Ralph can quote himself a million times over and still not disprove me.

skinny_uncle
November 17th, 2012, 07:17 AM
It is used, when all else fails, as the final tiebreaker for the MVFC AQ. I'm not sure if any other leagues use it. It sure beats a coin flip.