PDA

View Full Version : 19 SLC assistant coaches went through McNeese

McTailGator
August 12th, 2006, 01:42 PM
I guess the Thread Header should have read 23 SLC coaches have McNeese ties.

Also, several other coaches around the nation have McNeese ties, including formor Texas A&M HC RC Slocum and current Texas Longhorn OC Greg Davis, who was a McNeese QB in the 70's.

Four Southland Conference head coaches have McNeese State ties
Nineteen SLC assistant coaches went through McNeese

:thumbsup:

Aug. 10, 2006

The bloodline for football coaches in the Southland Conference appears to run through McNeese State.

Four of the eight present head coaches in the SLC have ties to McNeese as do 19 assistant coaches.

"I'm not surprised," said Ernie Duplechin, the former McNeese head coach and athletic director. "We've had some very good people come through this stadium and fieldhouse. I think that tradition has a lot to do with it and you get right down to it, we have always coached very good football here. It's a good breeding ground for players who want to go on and become coaches and coaches who come through here in an assistant's role."

Besides the Cowboys own Tommy Tate, who played at McNeese and then served a 20 year assistant tenure before becoming head coach, other head coaches in the SLC who have McNeese ties are Scott Stoker at Northwestern State, Robert McFarland at Stephen F. Austin and Clint Conque at Central Arkansas, the new addition to the league.

Stoker served as both an offensive and defensive coordinator with the Cowboys before getting the head job at Northwestern State while McFarland is a graduate of McNeese and Conque was an assistant coach during a three year period in the late 1980s.

As for assistant coaches with McNeese backgrounds, there are eight on the present Cowboy staff: Matt Viator, Adam Henry, Carlos McGee, Lark Hebert, Jason Rollins, Delphfrine Lee, Jake Morrison and Zack Bronson. All are graduates of McNeese and Henry, McGee, Hebert, Rollins, Lee, Morrison and Bronson also played for the Cowboys.

Northwestern State assistants John Nagle and Mike Collins served as Cowboy assistant coaches as did Ben Beasley while Slade Nagle quarterbacked the Pokes and is a McNeese grad as is Beasley.

Stephen F. Austin assistants who have also coached at McNeese are Gerald Broussard, J. C. Harper and Chris Truax while Central Arkansas assistant coaches who also coached at McNeese are Denzil Cox and Ricky Matt and Hud Jackson was a Cowboy quarterback.

The lineage of former head coaches who have had a McNeese stopover goes back a good ways.

Dr. Jack Doland was one of the first, playing at McNeese when it was a junior college and then earning his degree from Tulane, making pit stops at DeQuincy and Sulphur high schools and LSU and becoming the Cowboy head coach in 1970.

Duplechin, who was Doland's right hand man, was the next as he succeeded Doland and then came Hubert Boales and John McCann - all of them Cowboy assistant coaches - in the top job.

R. C. Slocum, probably the most nationally known coach with McNeese ties, led Texas A&M to many bowl games and outstanding seasons and he was both a Cowboy player and assistant coach.

George Haffner went far as an assistant coach after a playing career at McNeese, his top berth probably as the No. 1 assistant to Vince Dooley at Georgia. And, former Cowboy quarterback Don Breaux has made a name for himself as an assistant coach in the NFL, now back with the Washington Redskins.

Mike Santiago, the McNeese offensive coordinator under Bobby Keasler in the school's 1-AA dominating 1990s, went on to serve as head coach at Stephen F. Austin and Mike Collins, aboard at McNeese that same period, became head coach at Louisiana-Monroe.

All of these coaches have carried something positive away with them from their association with McNeese.

The game and the players may have changed over the years but the organization and the preparation with which McNeese coaches approach the game of football hasn't. And, that's probably the Cowboy legacy.

mikebigg
August 12th, 2006, 02:11 PM
McNeese has traditionally been a good school and has a fine program. I think there geographical location has made it easier for them not to be so much in the shadow of LSU. That's not to say that Lake Charles doesn't have it's share of LSU supporters, but McNeese has it loyal followers who prefer Cowboy Stadium to Tiger Stadium as their Saturday night gathering place.

When I attended Grambling during the 70's, we used to always comment on how you could "hear" the crowd from Ruston when the Cowboys came to Lincoln Parish. McNeese has long had a football tradition of winning! During the old Gulf Coast Conference and later early SLC years, McNeese was always contending for championships.

Our current (newly hired) AD is a McNeese alum. We are excited about his credentials and experience in Sports Administration... Maybe we need to hook up for a three year series (home/home/Reliant in Houston).

McTailGator
August 12th, 2006, 05:19 PM
McNeese has traditionally been a good school and has a fine program. I think there geographical location has made it easier for them not to be so much in the shadow of LSU. That's not to say that Lake Charles doesn't have it's share of LSU supporters, but McNeese has it loyal followers who prefer Cowboy Stadium to Tiger Stadium as their Saturday night gathering place.

When I attended Grambling during the 70's, we used to always comment on how you could "hear" the crowd from Ruston when the Cowboys came to Lincoln Parish. McNeese has long had a football tradition of winning! During the old Gulf Coast Conference and later early SLC years, McNeese was always contending for championships.

Our current (newly hired) AD is a McNeese alum. We are excited about his credentials and experience in Sports Administration... Maybe we need to hook up for a three year series (home/home/Reliant in Houston).

I'd rather do a series of home and homes between LC and G-Town..

Of course I wouldn't mind a 4 year double header thing in S-Port to open the season between you guys, SU, NSU and MSU and rotating every other year or so. One hell of a great Tailgate party there.

But, to quote that little girl from that Kansas farm, "There's no place like home". Plus, Cowboy fans enjoyed our trip to Robinson Stadium up north. We were treated great.

And of course McNeese fans and administrators have a lot of respect for the Grambling admin. Unlike your SWAC rivals that can't honor their word or a written contract.

Hope you guy's train your AD well. We'll be looking for a new one pretty soon. :smiley_wi