PDA

View Full Version : IF your team makes the playoffs can they win it - why and why not?

Go Apps
November 13th, 2012, 03:42 PM
ASU is in the playoffs that is the good news - bad news is they have lost their edge to be a contender.

Can't win the title
-So much youth on the team
-Defense not solid
-Don't perform well against physical teams
-Lots of injuries have led the Apps to be depleted
-Leaves the door open to any team so they have a chance to win late

Can win the title:
-Getting some needed rest and some injured players return
-possible #4 seed but needs some losses and avoiding round 1 will help even more
-games at home ASU needs as many as they can get - 2 could be what the doctor ordered
-a positive grouping of teams to play - the bracket will be key to see if they can advance
-So many young players have grown up and gotten playing time perhaps youth will pay off again
-Keep finding ways to win games that amazes me
-Has been there before we know the road well
-ONE FACT - the last time ASU started the year with 12 starters and finished 8-3 was the year we won our first title hoping history repeats itself

NoDak 4 Ever
November 13th, 2012, 03:46 PM
Can win

-Championship experience
-Coaching
-Best Defense in the country

Can't win
-Offensive inconsistency

I'm really looking forward to seeing this team outside the MVFC. The defenses in the league are just brutal and don't give you a good feeling about your offense. Our QB is pretty yippy these days but there's something to be said when your offense only has to score 12 or more ppg to win.

Sam_Kats
November 13th, 2012, 03:47 PM
I'm sure people will knock it, but I think if the Kats just get in, they would be a front-runner to end up in Frisco. Sucky schedule but sure has prepared them to be "Road Warriors." Took a while for the new OC to find his groove but I feel like he's done just that and is now utilizing ALL the talent back from last year. Although I'd like a couple home games, probably only will get 1. Then hope to be back in Texas in January. Long shot but, hey, if any team can do it, it's this one.

On the flip side, if a key contributor gets banged up against the Aggie this week in & the game gets out of hand...we might be on the road the entire playoffs....AND short-handed.

blueballs
November 13th, 2012, 03:50 PM
GSU:

Can win because they run the ball effectively, hit big plays or grind the clock, play good defense, play hard, play together, have playoff experience, have a unique scheme.

Can't win because of their kicking game.

Twentysix
November 13th, 2012, 03:50 PM
I'm sure people will knock it, but I think if the Kats just get in, they would be a front-runner to end up in Frisco. Sucky schedule but sure has prepared them to be "Road Warriors." Took a while for the new OC to find his groove but I feel like he's done just that and is now utilizing ALL the talent back from last year. Although I'd like a couple home games, probably only will get 1. Then hope to be back in Texas in January. Long shot but, hey, if any team can do it, it's this one.

On the flip side, if a key contributor gets banged up against the Aggie this week in & the game gets out of hand...we might be on the road the entire playoffs....AND short-handed.

Maybe SHSU will have the playin game that leads to @NDSU. xthumbsupx

NoDak 4 Ever
November 13th, 2012, 03:54 PM
Can win

-Championship experience
-Coaching

Can't win
-Offensive inconsistency

I'm really looking forward to seeing this team outside the MVFC. The defenses in the league are just brutal and don't give you a good feeling about your offense. Our QB is pretty yippy these days but there's something to be said when your offense only has to score 12 or more ppg to win.

I can't believe I missed the biggest x factor. Home field. That top seed is priceless! Nobody wants to come to the Fargodome.

darell1976
November 13th, 2012, 04:08 PM
Can win

-Championship experience
-Coaching

Can't win
-Offensive inconsistency

You forgot one under Can win.....Fargodome for the playoffs (until you get to Frisco).

Sam_Kats
November 13th, 2012, 04:10 PM
Maybe SHSU will have the playin game that leads to @NDSU. xthumbsupx

I'll take a team who has won their last 3 games (2 @ FargoDome) by an avg of 4 pts xnodx

BisonBacker
November 13th, 2012, 04:19 PM
Can win

-Championship experience
-Coaching

Can't win
-Offensive inconsistency

I agree with this but would add to the Can't win category the following or just more detail than offensive inconsistency.
Wide recievers problems
1 (Smith not reliable)
2. Vraa not back to 100% or at least not playing like it.
QB with head issues (Jensen lacking the moxy and confidence to take the team all the way) Way to sloppy on taking care of the ball.
Offensive Coordinator question marks???? Last year he put the team in a position to win games whereas this year he doesn't seem to be making the calls that exploit the other teams defense or utilize his teams strengths. Maybe that's just my opinion but I think it's accurate.
Running game not up to par with last year. Ojuri hasn't had the year I thought he would. Maybe his off field issues earlier this year have dogged him but he's not setting the world on fire with his game.
Crockett hasn't been 100% so he's had to be cut back on reps per game and that also has hurt.
Huge loss on DL with Perry being out for the rest of the year. But all teams have injuries and champions overcome those obstacles. Can NDSU do it? Time will tell.

Overall our offense is very vanilla or has been these last 4 or so games. Hope the team proves me wrong and catches fire in the playoffs.

89rabbit
November 13th, 2012, 04:43 PM
Can win

Defense is stout
Offense has only hit on all cylinders for one half of one game (lots of upside)

Can't win

Lack of playoff exp.
Offense has only hit on all cylinders for one half of one game (inconsistent)
Would need to win a few on the road

HailSzczur
November 13th, 2012, 04:49 PM
Reasons to think we can make a decent playoff run:
-Good coaches who have been here before.
-Strong grind it out, control the possession type of running game lets us typically dictate the tempo of the game, something good for on the road and for bad weather,
-Young team might just be naive enough not to let the pressure get to them.

Reasons to think we can't make a decent playoff run:
-Which defense shows up, the one that recorded 2 safeties last weekend, or the one that got smoked by Towson.
-Young team always susceptible to having a "freshman" type game

Mattymc727
November 13th, 2012, 04:49 PM
Cant win:

Defense
Defense
Defense

Can Win:

Offense
Offense
Offense
Other team messes up?

fatmonarch
November 13th, 2012, 04:56 PM
Cant win:

Defense
Defense
Defense

Can Win:

Offense
Offense
Offense
Other team messes up?

Samsies

Jacked_Rabbit
November 13th, 2012, 05:49 PM
Can win

Defense is stout
Offense has only hit on all cylinders for one half of one game (lots of upside)

Can't win

Lack of playoff exp.
Offense has only hit on all cylinders for one half of one game (inconsistent)
Would need to win a few on the road

This pretty much hits the nail on the head... Our D is tough enough to keep us in any game, but our O is a complete wild card. Get hot offensively, and we could win the whole thing!

Walkon79
November 13th, 2012, 05:56 PM
Perhaps, but the Cats would need to play like they did against UND and Portland State at home, and not like the team that played SUU or many others on the road.

So the key would be playing at home for a long time, and once you get to the Chipper anything can happen.

I think they have the talent and the heart, so that's most of the battle.

BEAR
November 13th, 2012, 06:24 PM
Can win:
Very talented Qb and WRs.
Defense is enough to hold their own.
As SLC fans have posted. UCA just seemed destined to make the playoffs. Just might apply to the next round.

Can't win:
Team chemistry. Sometimes early on the team takes too long to get the offense going.
Road trip. I'm sure we'll end up in some freezing Montana stadium. xlolx

Gordon Shumway
November 13th, 2012, 06:31 PM
If UNH does make the field, it has no chance at the championship due to a lack of defense. Making the field will extend their nation's longest playoff streak to 9 years, but that masks a bigger problem. They will never get beyond a consistently good team without more resources. Case closed.

Walkon79
November 13th, 2012, 06:32 PM
Can win:
As SLC fans have posted. UCA just seemed destined to make the playoffs. Just might apply to the next round.

Can't win:
Team chemistry. Sometimes early on the team takes too long to get the offense going.
Road trip. I'm sure we'll end up in some freezing Montana stadium. xlolx

Only one chance of that this year :)

BEAR
November 13th, 2012, 06:36 PM
Only one chance of that this year :)

FAntastic..it's that destiny thing though...xlolx

taper
November 13th, 2012, 06:43 PM
I'll take a team who has won their last 3 games (2 @ FargoDome) by an avg of 4 pts xnodx

That's called efficiency. Why bother running up the score beyond a field goal? :)

NoDak 4 Ever
November 13th, 2012, 06:44 PM

Hope you can at least score a touchdown this time.

I-16Bandit
November 13th, 2012, 07:07 PM
GSU:

Also, don't forget about that play where we decide to just drop the ball and not pick it back up.

Sam_Kats
November 13th, 2012, 07:19 PM
You NDSU folk are touchy. It was just an observation.

McNeese75
November 13th, 2012, 08:02 PM
You NDSU folk are touchy. It was just an observation.

Nooooooooooo, they are just plain cocky. It would be very interesting for the Kats to visit Fargo. If it happens, that cockiness is going to turn a little nervous.

TheValleyRaider
November 13th, 2012, 08:03 PM
Cant win: Defense

Can win: Offense

This sounds familiar... xreadx

Other reasons

Can win:
-Going to list the offense again. Veteran O-Line, QB-RB combination, grind it out offense with enough of a passing attack to keep teams honest. This team can score while controlling the clock, and tiring defenses with multiple sustained scoring drives
-This team is vastly improved from that USD loss. I really think the close Stony Brook loss galvanized them going forward
-The team is also hot, especially offensively. 30+ points in their last 8 games, 47+ in 5 of the last 6, 6 straight wins
-Winning the turnover battle. The 'Gate is +6 on the season, with an edge in picks of 13 to 5. Turnovers are one of the great equalizers, and a few well-timed ones can put an otherwise overmatched team in position to win

Can't win:
-Low seed. Not undeservedly, this team will almost certainly will face stiff competition on the road to Frisco. Coupled with the likely unwillingness of the administration to bid for a home game, 4 straight on the road seems improbable, especially since there will likely be 1 or 2 seeds minimum involved
-The defense still. Perhaps this Lehigh game is a corner turned, but 30+ given up in 7 of 10 this year is not good. If the offense falters, or faces a good defense, it could be the end of the road
-Much as I may have downplayed the South Dakota loss, the fact remains without much evidence to the contrary, it looks quite bad. I certainly would not peg the Raiders to go 0-fer in the Valley (certainly not with their own set of home games), but the visuals are not good

Griz_are_Beta_AF
November 13th, 2012, 10:34 PM
FAntastic..it's that destiny thing though...xlolx

It could be a fantastic day, like it's supposed to be on Saturday, 42. But then again it's more likely it'll be like our last game, 10 with a wind chill of 0. Either way, we'll welcome you to Bozeman with open arms, and be sure to send you back to the warmth as we continue our trek to Frisco.

frozennorth
November 14th, 2012, 03:01 AM
For NDSU:

Home field
Likely the best FCS defense ever.
experience
bye week
facing weaker defenses than the MVFC

against NDSU
lolpick6
internet troll karma
selling out frisco in october karma

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 14th, 2012, 05:58 AM
Nooooooooooo, they are just plain cocky. It would be very interesting for the Kats to visit Fargo. If it happens, that cockiness is going to turn a little nervous.

I hope SHSU get to come to Fargo.

Frankly, I could care less who comes....competition will be tough.

BisonBacker
November 14th, 2012, 06:59 AM

As well it should for both teams. I can guarantee you that SHSU wouldn't be putting up the numbers they are now. They may teach offense in that conference but defense isn't it's strong suit. SHSU if they played in the MVFC wouldn't be throwing up those high scores like they do now. Of course it's all talk at this point but last years playoffs was a clear example of that. We've heard it before son. It's not being cocky when you can back up the talk.

Apphole
November 14th, 2012, 07:00 AM
GSU:

Can win because they run the ball effectively, hit big plays or grind the clock, play good defense, play hard, play together, have playoff experience, have a unique scheme.

Can't win because of their kicking game and because of the refs.

FIFY

kalm
November 14th, 2012, 07:18 AM
Can't:

Defense, especially rushing defense
Special teams breakdowns

Can:

Wide receivers are very tough to defend
Offensive balance
Take out several bad quarters and this defense resembles the 2010 squad, if not better with a couple of playmakers at every level.

appfan2008
November 14th, 2012, 07:18 AM
Can't Win:
predictable play calling
weak kick coverage
players feel like deserve it
injuries to many including Jackson
play down to competition in early rounds
inexperience on the o line

Can Win:
good pass run mix
home field advantage
coach has been there before
possible 3 calender weeks of rest
play up to competition
because i said so!

ASUMountaineer
November 14th, 2012, 07:36 AM
GSU:

Under "can win," you forgot to mention that the SoCon refs would not be playing against GSU. xnodx

UNH Fanboi
November 14th, 2012, 07:42 AM
If UNH does make the field, it has no chance at the championship due to a lack of defense. Making the field will extend their nation's longest playoff streak to 9 years, but that masks a bigger problem. They will never get beyond a consistently good team without more resources. Case closed.

We could be championship caliber in 2013 or 2014. We have a ton of young talent. We were championship caliber in 2005.

Sammy94
November 14th, 2012, 08:24 AM
Why - Talented on both sides of the ball and playing very well and this from Coach Fritz: "This is the best we've played offensively since I have been here. We are throwing and running the ball very effectively."

Why not- I don't see a why not but anything can happen in the playoffs. Perhaps running into a team that can pass the ball and plays very well on defense.

SpeedkingATL
November 14th, 2012, 09:00 AM
Can Win: Will have some home game(s)
Can score against anyone with so many WR weapons
Will be healthier than in many weeks when playoffs begin
Have some momentum going into playoffs

Can't Win: Young o-line will struggle against top flight defensive lines
Field goal kicking is a crap shoot
Defense gives up way to many yards considering personell
Overall youth and inexperience
No proven backup QB if an already dinged-up Jackson goes down
Will likely have to travel West of the Mississippi where they have NEVER won a game

NoDak 4 Ever
November 14th, 2012, 09:06 AM
Why - Talented on both sides of the ball and playing very well and this from Coach Fritz: "This is the best we've played offensively since I have been here. We are throwing and running the ball very effectively."

Why not- I don't see a why not but anything can happen in the playoffs. Perhaps running into a team that can pass the ball and plays very well on defense.

Oh please. Now you're just begging for it.

blueballs
November 14th, 2012, 09:15 AM
For NDSU:

Home field
Likely the best FCS defense ever.
experience
bye week
facing weaker defenses than the MVFC

against NDSU
lolpick6
internet troll karma
selling out frisco in october karma

The Delaware 2003 group would like a word with you...

NoDak 4 Ever
November 14th, 2012, 09:20 AM
The Delaware 2003 group would like a word with you...

Delaware 2003 303 ypg 15.4 ppg

NDSU 2012 183.5 ypg 11.0 ppg

Lehigh'98
November 14th, 2012, 09:25 AM

You would have to look at the offenses both teams played against to be fair, plus NDSU still has the playoffs to up that average.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 14th, 2012, 09:34 AM
You would have to look at the offenses both teams played against to be fair, plus NDSU still has the playoffs to up that average.

The quote was "Likely the best FCS defense ever."

So far, so good.

We have empirical evidence that states that NDSU has the potential to outperform the regular season in terms of defense in the playoffs.

bisonboone11
November 14th, 2012, 09:52 AM

It could be argued that NDSU's defense last year was better than the 2003 Delaware defense. At least we have full seasons to compare there. Personally, I think this year's defense for NDSU is better than last year, but it's tough to compare teams from different years. Anyways, I think NDSU's defense and playoff experience are reasons why they could win it all. The offense could be a reason they can't.

deez_na
November 14th, 2012, 09:58 AM

So NDSU has faced teams easier to make a difference of a 120 yards a game?

TheRevSFA
November 14th, 2012, 10:01 AM

Speaking of getting banged up, what's the deal with Sincere? I heard he was hurt during NW State

TheRevSFA
November 14th, 2012, 10:04 AM
Can win:

Can't win:
National Championship isn't on the Stripes in Conway

FIFY

asumike83
November 14th, 2012, 10:11 AM
Why we could:
Best overall group of wide receivers at the FCS level, in my opinion. Very hard to defend our passing game.
Will have three weeks between our regular season finale and first playoff game. Should be as rested and healthy as any team in the field.
Steven Miller has really come into his own at running back. We were one-dimensional in 2011, much more balanced this season.
Solid run defense against non-triple option teams. 118 rushing YPG against 8 non-option opponents, held 3 of the last 4 under 100.

Why we could not:
Inexperienced front lines on both sides of the ball. Teams with talented, veteran defensive lines could give us problems.
Tendency to give up big plays on defense, particularly on 3rd down. Have to get our defense off the field.
Possibility we could run into Wofford or Georgia Southern and have to face the TO again.
Kick coverage.

Sammy94
November 14th, 2012, 10:19 AM
Speaking of getting banged up, what's the deal with Sincere? I heard he was hurt during NW State

He has been all year. Doesn't really matter, he is just an extra option in the offense. I don't think he fits in the new offensive scheme that well. When he is in the game at QB, just put 9 men on the line because he is most likely running. When he plays WR, he is the third or forth option in the passing game it isn't that big a deal with him banged up.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 14th, 2012, 10:42 AM
Lehigh
The Good
- excellent group of skill players
- a lot of big game experience
- very solid defense
- good in the trenches

The Bad
- no seed or bye
- inconsistent QB play
- running game comes and goes
- can't seem to play a full 60 minutes week in and week out

BEAR
November 14th, 2012, 11:12 AM
FIFY

Or in lake SFA...xlolx

344Johnson
November 14th, 2012, 11:25 AM
NDSU

We can because: Defense

We can't because: Offense

Simple as that. If for some reason our offense decides to show up and puts up more than 20 on the scoreboard, we probably can win a national title. If not, we could find ourselves in some trouble.

kalm
November 14th, 2012, 11:25 AM
Why we could:
Best overall group of wide receivers at the FCS level, in my opinion. Very hard to defend our passing game.

I avoided making this statement in my post because it's tough to compare. But I'd take our two 1st team All Americans who've both been on the Payton Watch List and the #3 wr who's having a better year than one of them over anyone else.

tribefan40
November 14th, 2012, 12:33 PM

William and Mary 2009 - 229.79 ypg - 12.07 ppg

Allowed less than 6 ppg in three playoff games, including a 24-3 thumping of 3-seed SIU at their place. Lost to eventual champion Villanova by 1 in the semis. xbawlingx

asumike83
November 14th, 2012, 12:40 PM
I avoided making this statement in my post because it's tough to compare. But I'd take our two 1st team All Americans who've both been on the Payton Watch List and the #3 wr who's having a better year than one of them over anyone else.

I have not seen much of EWU so I can't compare. I guess I should have said the best group of receivers that I have seen at this level.

Statistically, our top four WR are nearly identical. Kaufman has a slight statistical advantage on Price, although Price missed 2 games. Our 2-4 guys have slightly better numbers than yours but have also played 1 more game. To me, a big weapon for us is that our starting RB also has over 350 receiving yards and 4 touchdowns, giving us 5 legit receiving threats on the field.

Both passing attacks are very impressive.

kalm
November 14th, 2012, 12:48 PM
I have not seen much of EWU so I can't compare. I guess I should have said the best group of receivers that I have seen at this level.

Statistically, our top four WR are nearly identical. Kaufman has a slight statistical advantage on Price, although Price missed 2 games. Our 2-4 guys have slightly better numbers than yours but have also played 1 more game. To me, a big weapon for us is that our starting RB also has over 350 receiving yards and 4 touchdowns, giving us 5 legit receiving threats on the field.

Both passing attacks are very impressive.

That would be a fun playoff match up to watch.

SpeedkingATL
November 14th, 2012, 12:55 PM
That would be a fun playoff match up to watch.

Probably a lot like the last time EWU and App played at The Rock.

LuckyKat
November 14th, 2012, 01:35 PM
YEP
# 6 in Total Offense, # 1 in Scoring
# 5 in Total Defense
NC Game Last Year
Plays very well on the road
Very Well Coached in all areas

NO
We would just have to get out played by someone

katstrapper
November 14th, 2012, 01:48 PM
As well it should for both teams. I can guarantee you that SHSU wouldn't be putting up the numbers they are now. They may teach offense in that conference but defense isn't it's strong suit. SHSU if they played in the MVFC wouldn't be throwing up those high scores like they do now. Of course it's all talk at this point but last years playoffs was a clear example of that. We've heard it before son. It's not being cocky when you can back up the talk.

I would say SHSU defense is a strong suit!!!

#5 Total Defense in FCS
#6 Scoring Defense in FCS
#3 Rushing Defense in FCS

This is a different team than last year. The passing game has been the total difference on offense. The points they are putting up would be tough in ANY conference, including the Southland..

So to discuss your theory, why isnt C. Arkansas putting up tons of points in the SLC and they are the AQ if it is such an easy conference?

Hammerhead
November 14th, 2012, 01:59 PM
I would make one slight adjustment to this. If our offense can avoid throwing pick-sixes, we can repeat. Our only loss of the season was 14-17 and the defense only gave up 3 points in that game. :(

NDSU

We can because: Defense

We can't because: Offense

Simple as that. If for some reason our offense decides to show up and puts up more than 20 on the scoreboard, we probably can win a national title. If not, we could find ourselves in some trouble.

344Johnson
November 14th, 2012, 02:06 PM
I would say SHSU defense is a strong suit!!!

#5 Total Defense in FCS
#6 Scoring Defense in FCS
#3 Rushing Defense in FCS

This is a different team than last year. The passing game has been the total difference on offense. The points they are putting up would be tough in ANY conference, including the Southland..

So to discuss your theory, why isnt C. Arkansas putting up tons of points in the SLC and they are the AQ if it is such an easy conference?

Maybe Central Arkansas plays a different style? I really don't know anything about them.

frozennorth
November 14th, 2012, 02:11 PM

Allowed less than 6 ppg in three playoff games, including a 24-3 thumping of 3-seed SIU at their place. Lost to eventual champion Villanova by 1 in the semis. xbawlingx

also on the short list, along with delaware 2003 and ndsu 2011.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 14th, 2012, 02:15 PM
also on the short list, along with delaware 2003 and ndsu 2011.

NDSU 2011 doesn't compare. They gave up a ton of yards, 303 per game. This year is the total package.

katstrapper
November 14th, 2012, 02:25 PM
Maybe Central Arkansas plays a different style? I really don't know anything about them.

Spread passing attack with a pretty good QB and set of receivers.

Kats are a spread attack that are rushing for almost 300 yds a game with more of a passing attack. Receivers are MUCH improved.

GSUsTALON
November 14th, 2012, 02:30 PM
I don’t know if GSU can win it all or not. A lot depends on who we draw threw the playoffs.
(1)Brent Russell defensive line is suspended indefinitely and he required two offensive blockers.
(2)GSUs secondary has been ripped for big yardage.
(3)While GSU rushes for more than 390 yards per game we only average around 65 yards a game passing. In the past GSU averaged 100 to 120 yards receiving during our championship years.
(4)GSU will really need to put a triple option offensive @ss kicking on the teams that we play.

JMO TALON

I-16Bandit
November 14th, 2012, 02:46 PM
NO
We would just have to get out played by someone

http://images.wikia.com/brutallegend/images/8/8c/You_Don%27t_Say.jpg

eiu1999
November 14th, 2012, 04:21 PM
Can Win:
If we score 100 points a game.

Can't Win:
Defense is easily shredded by any competent QB.

Gordon Shumway
November 14th, 2012, 06:02 PM
We could be championship caliber in 2013 or 2014. We have a ton of young talent. We were championship caliber in 2005.

I think you need to put down the rose colored glasses. A lot of of teams have a ton of young talent. Also regarding 2005, championship caliber teams don't lose in the 2nd round at home.

Don't get me wrong, I am as big a fan as there is. However, I have been following this program since the late 60's, and the facilities now are the same ones as when I was in school, only 40+ years older. The coaching staff has worked miracles with what is available to them, but they will never recruit a championship team without a drastic upgrade to the facilities.

steelr7
November 14th, 2012, 06:36 PM
Biggest reasons they (NDSU Bison) can Repeat...

That Bison defense is like no other
The FargoDome will be rocking
Experience
Coaching

Biggest reason they cant....
Conservative offensive play calling
Inconsistent execution on offense

I know none of these are mind-blowing revelations, just thought i would share my 2 cents.

Go Bison!

steelr7
November 14th, 2012, 06:57 PM

Sure, & rightfully so. SHSU is a quality football team. You don't have a run like they are on the last 2 yrs without making some opponents nervous. I would love to see a game at the FargoDome. Would be a hell of a match up. Based on how seeding may go, i dont think they would meet until the Championship game again, but you never know.

taper
November 14th, 2012, 09:11 PM

Had a game in Fargo in 2007. Probably the best game I've seen in person at any level. http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=272582449

Game was within 1 score either for all but about 5 minutes, last 3 minutes had a TD each, including a game winning 19 second drive by NDSU with 7 seconds left. I'd love to do that again.

LuckyKat
November 14th, 2012, 09:25 PM
Had a game in Fargo in 2007. Probably the best game I've seen in person at any level. http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=272582449

Game was within 1 score either for all but about 5 minutes, last 3 minutes had a TD each, including a game winning 19 second drive by NDSU with 7 seconds left. I'd love to do that again.

That was a Killer, That was under the Whitten regime,
we could move the ball with Bomar @ QB, but the Defense was mediocre,

I had 2 or 3 heart attacks during that game

Professor Chaos
November 14th, 2012, 09:35 PM
I'll deviate from the norm a bit because I'll just sound homerish on NDSU and evaluate the other teams in the MVFC.

SDSU
Why they can: They have a very good defense and solid power running attack. If both are clicking that's a recipe for playoff success. Don't forget they have a very good QB who still hasn't found his groove yet this year but has the ability to carry a team.
Why they can't: The aforementioned power run game has been stifled by some top flight defenses they've seen lately and it won't get any easier in the playoffs. Their QB has turned it over quite a bit and those are killers in the playoffs.

Illinois St
Why they can: The have a balanced offensive attack with an experienced QB who won't be rattled by a playoff atmosphere. Their offensive and defensive lines can match up with any team in the nation and winning in the trenches is crucial in the playoffs.
Why they can't: Consistency, getting shut out at home against a team like Missouri St shows a real lack of focus. In the playoffs you obviously can't afford an off week.

Indiana St
Why they can: They have one of the best defenses in the country and one of the best RBs in the country. Either can carry them to victories in the playoffs.
Why they can't: They lack balance on offense with a passing game with very little bite. Their reliance on their defense to make plays is a slippery slope when you play fundamentally sound playoff teams.

LeeshaJo
November 14th, 2012, 09:55 PM
South Dakota State

I would say the odds of us winning it are ... I have no idea ;) Do we have the talent to YES.

Our defense is salty, I would say they are top ten in the country, if they play well we can beat anyone.
Our offense is good, but under performs consistently. If we were able to put it all together and run a streak of games off I think we can beat anyone.

Will we? Who knows, have to take care of business Saturday first.

UNH Fanboi
November 14th, 2012, 10:04 PM

One of the best teams to not win a championship. The CAA was stacked that year.

frozennorth
November 14th, 2012, 11:56 PM
SDSU
The aforementioned power run game has been stifled by some top flight defenses they've seen lately and it won't get any easier in the playoffs.

actually, it might.

Kemo
November 15th, 2012, 12:07 AM

I remember watching that W&M/SIU game and I must say, the Tribe's D-Line was incredible. Probably the best I've seen at the FCS level.

uofmman1122
November 15th, 2012, 03:05 AM
YEP
# 6 in Total Offense, # 1 in Scoring
# 5 in Total Defense
NC Game Last Year
Plays very well on the road
Very Well Coached in all areas

NO
We would just have to play somewhere cold.Fixed. xcoffeex

MacThor
November 15th, 2012, 05:52 AM
Can't win:
Defense not nearly as good as our 07-09 run.
Terrible kicking game. I could easily see us losing a game because of a missed XP.
Don't put teams away in the second half.
Rocco's never been to the playoffs, even with all those Big South champs.

Can win:
Best offense since Clawson era.
Our FBS transfers are crushing it this year. Cooper Taylor is a beast. Michael Strauss (4th String UVA!) is better than Aaron Corp (USC 1-time starter!). I said "better" not more talented.
Obscene turnover ratio (23-3 INTS!)

Intangible:
The last time Obama was elected, the Spiders had a first year head coach and lost a heartbreaker to a first place CAA team to fall to 4-3. They ran the table and then......

SpeedkingATL
November 15th, 2012, 08:29 AM
Can't win:
Defense not nearly as good as our 07-09 run.
Terrible kicking game. I could easily see us losing a game because of a missed XP.
Don't put teams away in the second half.
Rocco's never been to the playoffs, even with all those Big South champs.

Can win:
Best offense since Clawson era.
Our FBS transfers are crushing it this year. Cooper Taylor is a beast. Michael Strauss (4th String UVA!) is better than Aaron Corp (USC 1-time starter!). I said "better" not more talented.
Obscene turnover ratio (23-3 INTS!)

Intangible:
The last time Obama was elected, the Spiders had a first year head coach and lost a heartbreaker to a first place CAA team to fall to 4-3. They ran the table and then......

If Richmond wins a second National Championship (or if any team repeats) Obama will require that they give it to a team that hasn't won one to keep it fair.

Bearkat-Backer
November 15th, 2012, 08:31 AM
We would just have to play somewhere cold.

Fixed. xcoffeex

That is my biggest fear at the moment.

bobcathpdevil56
November 15th, 2012, 08:36 AM
Can win:

Denarius seems to find a way to win games
Defense is clicking
Running game is doing well
Cold Weather

Can't win:

Denarius still has costly turnovers
Kicking game

NoDak 4 Ever
November 15th, 2012, 08:46 AM
That is my biggest fear at the moment.

Don't worry. It's always 72 degrees in the Fargodome.

Bearkat-Backer
November 15th, 2012, 09:19 AM
Don't worry. It's always 72 degrees in the Fargodome.

With the way the Bison offense has been playing this match-up doesn't worry me too much.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 15th, 2012, 09:23 AM
With the way the Bison offense has been playing this match-up doesn't worry me too much.

Me either. Sam Houston isn't MVFC team.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

mgbison
November 15th, 2012, 09:47 AM
As long as shsu still has bell at qb, I like our chances.

KATS_21
November 15th, 2012, 10:01 AM
Bison fans make it sound like the NC game was a blowout. The halftime score was 6-3 Sam Houston. Kats D holds on first possesion in the 2nd half and force 3rd and long, Bison run a fake punt that set up a throw back screen to score their first TD. That game was much closer than you want to admit.

Yes Bell threw a pick late, but Sam had a few opportunities and didnt execute.

This year, as long as Jensen is your QB I like our chances. Yes your D is stout but your offense is the weak link. This years game I think would be even better than last year. You can pump the MVC up all you want, but I think Sam would be similiar to NDSU in that conference. Our offense can run the ball and our defense can play a little too.

KATS_21
November 15th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Last thing, the real MVP of the game last year was your punter. He flipped the field so many times in that game. I havent looked, is he back this year? The NDSU fans we were next to said that was his best game of the year.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 15th, 2012, 10:08 AM
Last thing, the real MVP of the game last year was your punter. He flipped the field so many times in that game. I havent looked, is he back this year? The NDSU fans we were next to said that was his best game of the year.

Redshirt Freshman Ben LeCompte took over for Voigtlander 41 ypp so far this year. Had some tough ones with wind in Either Carbondale or Springfield, can't remember but last week at the Fargodome he averaged almost 50 yds including a 63 yarder. Also handles kickoffs with a 60 yard average.

A fine replacement.

MacThor
November 15th, 2012, 10:12 AM
If Richmond wins a second National Championship (or if any team repeats) Obama will require that they give it to a team that hasn't won one to keep it fair.

47% of FCS teams see themselves as victims.

Bearkat-Backer
November 15th, 2012, 10:26 AM
Me either. Sam Houston isn't MVFC team.

You're right. They are much better than most of them. For comparison SDSU beat SELA 30-14. SHSU beat them 70-0.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 15th, 2012, 10:37 AM
You're right. They are much better than most of them. For comparison SDSU beat SELA 30-14. SHSU beat them 70-0.

I'd really cower from the bluster if this wasn't the same team as last year. Has Bell found the backbone to actually keep standing when a pass rusher breathes on him?

Longest he was standing with the Bison on the field.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/526989_955176212389_2070748027_n.jpg

DJnva
November 15th, 2012, 10:43 AM
ODU

Can win:
Offense in general
Newly discovered running game could help protect lead, which leads to...

Can't win:
Defense allows too many big plays

Bearkat-Backer
November 15th, 2012, 10:57 AM
I'd really cower from the bluster if this wasn't the same team as last year. Has Bell found the backbone to actually keep standing when a pass rusher breathes on him?

I will admit the Bison had an answer for everything the Kats through at them last year. Bell had never had to stand in the pocket and win a game with his arm and it showed. Luckily the Kats have vastly improved in that department this year. They went through some growing pains early in the season trying to implement their new offensive scheme, but it is definitely clicking on all cylinders now.

KATS_21
November 15th, 2012, 11:09 AM

Longest he was standing with the Bison on the field.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/526989_955176212389_2070748027_n.jpg

He was a sophomore last year. The NDSU game was his first game of real pressure, I would even go on to say that the NDSU was the toughest team he has played in all of his football career. Yes he has grown up a lot over the last year, something has clicked with this team since the UCA game.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 15th, 2012, 11:13 AM
He was a sophomore last year. The NDSU game was his first game of real pressure, I would even go on to say that the NDSU was the toughest team he has played in all of his football career. Yes he has grown up a lot over the last year, something has clicked with this team since the UCA game.

Well great, because this NDSU defense is miles ahead of last years, which is scary. I hope he gets a chance.

asu3peat
November 15th, 2012, 11:14 AM

It's a good feeling when you see a team click together!

App St.
Can win:
Offensive Weapons
Know how to win close, hard fought games

Can't win:
Young OL
Defense gives up the big play

TheRevSFA
November 15th, 2012, 11:15 AM
Or in lake SFA...xlolx

Bear I just saw this, and you know..we have a damn good drainage system on our field...imagine if we didn't. They'd have had to play that game in hip waders.

Bearkat-Backer
November 15th, 2012, 11:23 AM
Bear I just saw this, and you know..we have a damn good drainage system on our field...imagine if we didn't. They'd have had to play that game in hip waders.

I heard that at one point when the ref tried to set the ball it started to float away.

ASU_Fanatic
November 15th, 2012, 06:35 PM
App can but I'm certainly not expecting it

katstrapper
November 16th, 2012, 04:44 PM

Definitely an awesome game!! That Kat secondary was NOT good.