PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Power Rankings 11-13

wapiti
November 13th, 2012, 10:03 AM
1. Montana State ---Easily beat PSU. Now at 8 wins. Cat-Griz will be for the Cat's earning a seed.

2. Eastern Washington ---Squeeked out a win at home against UC-Davis?????? I expected EWU to easily beat UCD. EWU is in the playoffs at 8 wins.

3. Sacramento State ---Had a bye week. Should be prepared for UC-Davis. A win will put them in the discussion for a playoff spot.

4. Cal Poly---Did as expected against Idaho State. Now at 8 wins CP is most likely in the playoffs.

5. Northern Arizona ---The loss at home knocked NAU down. Still at 7 wins, needs one more to be sure to get in the playoffs..

6. North Dakota ---Had a bye week

7. Southern Utah ---Giant killers. Nice win over NAU, but losses to Weber and North Dakota hurt SUU.

8. Montana ---Had a bye week.

9. Northern Colorado ---Nice win over the BBQ. NC is moving up.

10. Weber State --- Has shown signs of improvement over the season, but the loss to NC knocks them down a notch.

11. Portland State ---PSU has a few more L's then I expected them to have at this point in the season.

12. UC-Davis ---Took EWU to the the wire on the road, but still another L.

13. Idaho State --- Do I smell a coaching change at ISU??? (I have no data or info or news, just me speculating.)

Walkon79
November 13th, 2012, 09:57 PM
I would flip CP and Sac, and UCD is about 3 too low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lumberjackfanbefore2012
November 14th, 2012, 12:59 AM
1. Montana State ---Easily beat PSU. Now at 8 wins. Cat-Griz will be for the Cat's earning a seed.

2. Eastern Washington ---Squeeked out a win at home against UC-Davis?????? I expected EWU to easily beat UCD. EWU is in the playoffs at 8 wins.

3. Sacramento State ---Had a bye week. Should be prepared for UC-Davis. A win will put them in the discussion for a playoff spot.

4. Cal Poly---Did as expected against Idaho State. Now at 8 wins CP is most likely in the playoffs.

5. Northern Arizona ---The loss at home knocked NAU down. Still at 7 wins, needs one more to be sure to get in the playoffs..

6. North Dakota ---Had a bye week

7. Southern Utah ---Giant killers. Nice win over NAU, but losses to Weber and North Dakota hurt SUU.

8. Montana ---Had a bye week.

9. Northern Colorado ---Nice win over the BBQ. NC is moving up.

10. Weber State --- Has shown signs of improvement over the season, but the loss to NC knocks them down a notch.

11. Portland State ---PSU has a few more L's then I expected them to have at this point in the season.

12. UC-Davis ---Took EWU to the the wire on the road, but still another L.

13. Idaho State --- Do I smell a coaching change at ISU??? (I have no data or info or news, just me speculating.)

So why does NAU get knocked down to 5th after losing to SUU in triple overtime? I see you had no problem keeping EWU at the top and they lost to SUU in regulation.

Griz_are_Beta_AF
November 14th, 2012, 01:02 AM
So why does NAU get knocked down to 5th after losing to SUU in triple overtime? I see you had no problem keeping EWU at the top and they lost to SUU in regulation.

Well EWU did lose on the road and also NAU played pretty terrible the week before against Northern Colorado, so it may have been a combination of those things.

JALMOND
November 14th, 2012, 01:11 AM
Sorry for being so late with these. Glad Wapiti was able to get it started. One more week in the conference and then for some, it is on to the playoffs and for the rest, it is happy Thanksgiving time. How many teams from the Big Sky remains to be seen but there is still the intriguing rivalry weekend to cap what has been truly an entertaining first season as a 13 team Big Sky conference. Here are my power rankings for this week (last week in parenthesis).

1. Montana State (1)---The Bobcats froze out Portland State at home last week and showed that they may start to be a strong playoff force. Years past, people would say the road to a championship leads through Missoula and the Bobcats get to go there this weekend to face Montana.

2. Eastern Washington (3)---The Eagles needed some surprising late game heroics to pull out the win at home last week against UC-Davis. This week they get an equally challenging matchup perhaps as they head down the road to Portland State. They need to be ready.

3. Northern Arizona (2)---The Lumberjacks have been playing with fire the last few weeks and finally it bit them last week at home against that pesky Southern Utah team. Did they just shoot themselves in the foot? One thing for sure, this week's home clash with Cal Poly has surely become bigger that it was.

4. Cal Poly (5)---All the chaos and near misses around them, the Mustangs tended to business and walked all around Idaho State. They got a big break with Southern Utah's win over Northern Arizona. Now we get to see if they learned something from that and if they can do the same at NAU.

5. Sacramento State (4)---Still clinging to hope, the Hornets had last week to get ready for their big date on the road against their fierce rival, UC-Davis. Can they get the win and will it be enough to get them in the playoffs if they do?

6. Southern Utah (8)---The Thunderbirds topsy turvy first season in the Big Sky is now over, but in their own true fashion, they did not go quietly getting the win last week at Northern Arizona. They showed they could beat anyone and also they showed anyone could beat them.

7. Montana (6)---The Grizzlies had last week off to recover and prepare to wreck Montana State's season. They are not accustomed to playing spoiler but they relish the opportunity no doubt. One plus for them, the game is in Missoula.

8. North Dakota (7)---The Dakotans also took last week off to prepare for their "rival" Northern Colorado and they would enjoy the chance to cool off the suddenly red hot Bears team. They will have to go on the road to do it, however.

9. Northern Colorado (10)---All of a sudden, optimism abounds for the Bears after two straight conference road wins, the last one coming against Weber State. Building for next year, they sure would like to get win number three at home against North Dakota.

10. Weber State (9)---The Wildcats have remained competitive in the conference despite a tough season and last week's loss at home to Northern Colorado could shake their confidence. However, this week finds them out of town playing the hapless Idaho State team.

11. Portland State (11)---The Vikings hope for an upset last week at Montana State were cooled rather quickly as the game started in 10 degree temperatures. This week finds them back home in relative warmth and eager to try again, this time against Eastern Washington.

12. UC-Davis (12)---The Aggies gave Eastern Washington all they could handle and almost came out of it with what would have been a shocking upset. Close is not good enough, but the Aggies get one shot this week at throwing a big wrench into Sacramento State's season.

13. Idaho State (13)---After allowing 70 points once again, this time to Cal Poly, the best thing for the Bengals is that there is only one game left. This week, they have to stay home and face Weber State. A win would be great, but just holding them below 50 should be enough of a consolation prize.

darell1976
November 14th, 2012, 01:38 AM
UND 8th? They beat Sac St., SUU, and Montana and they are ranked in the lower half of the conference? I would have them 6th at the lowest.

UNDBIZ
November 14th, 2012, 07:34 AM
UND 8th? They beat Sac St., SUU, and Montana and they are ranked in the lower half of the conference? I would have them 6th at the lowest.

I can see SUU and Sac above UND due to their wins over the upper tier teams (and Sac's record in general), but the Montana ranking is a bit of a head-scratcher to me too.

wapiti
November 14th, 2012, 08:55 AM
I put Sac ahead of CP due to the head-to-head match up.
They both have good victories and "good" losses. So it came down to the head-to-head match up.
If not for the head-to-head match then CP would have the higher rank.

I would flip CP and Sac, and UCD is about 3 too low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTfan4life
November 14th, 2012, 09:34 AM

North Dakota has been a Jekyl and Hyde this season. They've won a couple good games at home and one on the road, but they've also gotten blown out of the water by both Montana State and Eastern Washington. Both of those teams' biggest blowouts in fact. Eastern has played within 20 with everyone except a 38 point stomping of UND. Montana State has had about the same yardage output as their opposition each week, but against MSU they were outgained by over 500 yards. Teams like UC-Davis, Sac. State, and Southern Utah all played within single digits of both schools. Montana was an onside kick away from beating EWU. It's hard to argue that UND should be in the top half considering the two massacres they encountered against the top teams.

UNDBIZ
November 14th, 2012, 12:58 PM
North Dakota has been a Jekyl and Hyde this season. They've won a couple good games at home and one on the road, but they've also gotten blown out of the water by both Montana State and Eastern Washington. Both of those teams' biggest blowouts in fact. Eastern has played within 20 with everyone except a 38 point stomping of UND. Montana State has had about the same yardage output as their opposition each week, but against MSU they were outgained by over 500 yards. Teams like UC-Davis, Sac. State, and Southern Utah all played within single digits of both schools. Montana was an onside kick away from beating EWU. It's hard to argue that UND should be in the top half considering the two massacres they encountered against the top teams.

I'd say it's equally hard placing them in the bottom half seeing as they beat all the teams being placed in the middle.....

UNDColorado
November 14th, 2012, 03:59 PM
]North Dakota has been a Jekyl and Hyde this season[/B]. They've won a couple good games at home and one on the road, but they've also gotten blown out of the water by both Montana State and Eastern Washington. Both of those teams' biggest blowouts in fact. Eastern has played within 20 with everyone except a 38 point stomping of UND. Montana State has had about the same yardage output as their opposition each week, but against MSU they were outgained by over 500 yards. Teams like UC-Davis, Sac. State, and Southern Utah all played within single digits of both schools. Montana was an onside kick away from beating EWU. It's hard to argue that UND should be in the top half considering the two massacres they encountered against the top teams.

That is about the best summary I have seen on North Dakota...however 8th is a bit of a stretch even though they did get blown out by EWU and MSU. If we lose to UNC this Saturday then I will buy what you are selling.