PDA

View Full Version : Football Gameplan's AGS Game of the Week Preview - ODU vs James Madison

FootballCEO
November 13th, 2012, 09:03 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFwgE_mOlUE

Good morning AGS fans! Here's the Game of the Week preview as voted on by YOU the fans!

Enjoy!

Em

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 13th, 2012, 09:53 AM
He gives JMU a lot of credit to hang tough with ODU. We will see. He argues that JMU needs to be able to pass the ball to keep up with ODU's offense. But for me I view the running game as more critical for both teams. If JMU can successfully pound the rock like they used to do in the past, they can manage the clock, keep it a lower scoring affair, and create a tired defense for a final push for a W. However, if the JMU defense cannot contain ODU QB Heinicke in the pocket or stop an increasingly impressive running attack from ODU, then you can kiss this one goodbye if you are a JMU fan.

I believe Villanova coach Andy Talley said it best about JMU this year. We are so predictable (not his words exactly, paraphrasing). He mentioned that all of the successful throws are to the right flat, so just crash that side defensively, stack the box, and the Dukes are toast. We beat teams that we are more talented than on pure talent alone. But given an equal, we simply do not have the coaching or the intelligence to win. Yes, I am calling out my team's players for their collective lack of football intelligence.

Playing a night game at home late in the fall? Who knows what will happen. Crazy **** goes down when the sun goes down and the lights go up in Bridgeforth Stadium. Ask App St. and Montana who were on different sides of a couple crazy games.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 13th, 2012, 10:02 AM
A couple intangibles:

1) The obvious - a night game, last chance to likely host ODU until if ever JMU decides to play FBS football.
2) The coaches - There is some JMU bloodlines in the ODU coaching staff. They will know how to play vs. JMU. Can they pull off their gamelplan is a different question.
3) The players - I believe JMU wants this more, yet I also think the players have not bought into coach Mickey Matthews at all this year. We JMU fans have probably never seen a more apathetic group of players considering the talent we thought they possessed. Last week JMU's coach called them out, especially the defense. However, in reality it is the offensive-side of the ball where the real problems seem to exist. Have the players had enough between an average QB with an average O-line not getting it done vs. the D that has been pushed to the limit?

ODU will score points, can JMU keep up and slow down the tempo of the game? How JMU plays could range anywhere from dead in the water to unbeatable. A real mystery and we JMU fans are mostly not looking forward to what we feel will be the inevitable nail in the coffin for this year. While the record is decent, many are more disappointed with this year's performance than we were with the 6-5 seasons we had 2-3 years ago because of the potential not realized.

JMUNJ08
November 13th, 2012, 11:38 AM
great video and points JMU2K. We are a VERY predictable team, but that has always been the way things have gone. The difference is that we cannot impose our will so easily with an average O line. I hope we have some tricks up our sleeves and are able to win the TO battle. A few things really need to break our way for the Dukes to pull this one out. Is it possible? Definitely. Can we execute? Different story...

TheRevSFA
November 13th, 2012, 12:11 PM
Emory,

Thanks for doing these this season.

It's been fun doing the nominations and polls.