PDA

View Full Version : SoCon FBS win drought

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 13th, 2012, 08:24 AM
I just realized that the SoCon hasn't won a single FBS game since App beat Michigan 5 years ago. Since that time the MVFC, Big Sky, CAA, SLC, OVC, and Big South all have at least 3 FBS wins.

I realize we have blown some good opportunities....Samford gave up a special teams TD in the last minutes to UCF in 2008(?) and App. State lost Armanti Edwards for opening week 2009 because of a lawn mower. Both had a chance to beat a CUSA champion. GSU discovered Jayson Foster couldn't play defense when we got to Colorado State in 2007, basically didn't have a team to oppose UNC in 2009, and couldn't get the job done at Navy in 2010. Wofford didn't have a team to take to Ohio in 2009 and narrowly missed beating the ACC champs in 2011.

But other conferences have certainly had near-misses in that time, too. Do our teams just schedule too many tough FBS games for our own good? I don't think anyone could argue we have had some playoff-worthy teams left out over the years and Samford and Chatty this year could undoubtedly play with a lot of at-large teams in this year's playoffs.

Why do we always seem to have the toughest FBS schedule?

Smitty
November 13th, 2012, 08:28 AM
Why do we always seem to have the toughest FBS schedule?

Because we decided to save costs and schedule schools in the surrounding area which contain SEC and ACC schools (most, not all).

walliver
November 13th, 2012, 08:43 AM
SoCon teams play few winnable games.
This weekend, we play 4 SEC teams, 3 of which are ranked in the top 10. You don't win many of those type games.
I don't think many Sunbelt teams want to play us, and seriously doubt that many of the have enough cash to compete with the SEC. We are out of the footprint for C-USA, the MAC, and what's left of the WAC, and travel costs would eat up much of the payout, and these games are somewhat rare.
And, to be honest, I suspect most SoCon fans enjoy playing the big boys.

Apphole
November 13th, 2012, 08:46 AM
We could have beaten ECU both times we've played recently, but we just couldn't quite put four complete quarters together. Other than that, App and the vast majority of other SoCon teams' FBS games have been exclusively from big time opponents. If we played a low tier SBC or CUSA team every year we'd likely have a winning record.

ITmonarch10
November 13th, 2012, 08:50 AM
So its basically, SEC, ACC, or ECU for SoCon. However, I bet you guys are going to be giving GaState and UNCC a beat down soon enough ,so that should change your fortunes.

eaglewraith
November 13th, 2012, 08:53 AM
So its basically, SEC, ACC, or ECU for SoCon. However, I bet you guys are going to be giving GaState and UNCC a beat down soon enough ,so that should change your fortunes.

UNCC had a game scheduled with us and I think it's expected to be canceled.

Ga State will not play us.

asucrutch23

Or ODU xtroublex

Apphole

UNCC refuses to come up the mountain for the beating their fans have been asking for and our athletic department doesn't want to grant a home and home. There is a lot of bad blood (mostly stemming from basketball) among the two departments because of Judy Rose's arrogance. She black listed ASU when we played them last on the hard wood and won.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 13th, 2012, 08:55 AM
NDSU plays K State next year. Could be the closest thing to an App State/Michigan type game in a while, especially if both win the NC. Not making this a chest thumping thing, just an interesting scheduling quirk. I agree that most of the FBS teams around here in are not tough games.

Apphole
November 13th, 2012, 08:55 AM
UNCC had a game scheduled with us and I think it's expected to be canceled.

Ga State will not play us.

They are replacing every strong FCS opponent on their schedule with sub par FCS teams and D-2's. They are worried that a loss to any team would destroy attendance and rightfully so.

Apphole
November 13th, 2012, 08:56 AM
NDSU plays K State next year. Could be the closest thing to an App State/Michigan type game in a while, especially if both win the NC. Not making this a chest thumping thing, just an interesting scheduling quirk. I agree that most of the FBS teams around here in are not tough games.

If the two do win NC's it will be more like the App/LSU game circa 2008.

Luckily, spread offenses will prevail and App State and Oregon will be your respective National Champions xsmiley_wix

Eagle11
November 13th, 2012, 09:02 AM

Luckily, spread offenses will prevail and App State and Oregon will be your respective National Champions xsmiley_wix

yeah, there's no way NDSU beats KSU

ITmonarch10
November 13th, 2012, 09:06 AM
Or ODU xtroublex

I'd love to play ASU ,but its looking like our schedule is going to favor CAA schools and Norfolk State. I guess you have to put your trust in El Cid to get the job done against us next year.

NoDak 4 Ever
November 13th, 2012, 09:07 AM

Well, lets not get ahead of ourselves. I'm just saying that yes, it's harder to schedule bigger, tougher teams out west than it is in the SE. That said, we can go farther and travel better in general so it's not necessary.

walliver
November 13th, 2012, 09:08 AM

Oregon can score enough points to win the BCS championship.

ASU will need better defensive play to make a deep run.

asucrutch23
November 13th, 2012, 09:09 AM
I'd love to play ASU ,but its looking like our schedule is going to favor CAA schools and Norfolk State. I guess you have to put your trust in El Cid to get the job done against us next year.

Maybe we'll get our chance this year in the playoffs. However, strike me up as one who wants to avoid that passing attack against our often porous secondary. xsmhx

NDB
November 13th, 2012, 09:17 AM
I just realized that the SoCon hasn't won a single FBS game since App beat Michigan 5 years ago.

The SoCons record against FBS schools like most FCS teams has never been good.

Georgia Southern is 1-19 with a win against Florida International. App State has 'the' win against Michigan and then a half dozen against Wake Forest to go with 33 losses. Wofford is 1-15 with a win against Louisiana Monroe.

NDSU is the only school with a winning record against FBS (6-3). A lot of that has to do with scheduling non-BCS and bad BCS teams andand then beating them by playing smash mouth football.

I'm not a big fan of powerhouse FBS teams. I don't think it's good for players, fans, or team building.

Professor Chaos
November 13th, 2012, 09:19 AM
It's unlikely but it's possible. Look at K-State's roster. They lose Klein, 2 of their top 3 rushers (which includes Klein), their leading receiver, and 9 of their 11 leading tacklers (including their top 5). KSU brings back 9 of 22 starters overall with only one of those on defense. NDSU brings back 19 of 22 starters and loses only 4 seniors total off the two deep depth chart.

It'll be the first game of the year next year with an inexperienced, but likely nationally ranked, KSU squad versus a very experienced NDSU squad. I don't think it's a stretch to say that NDSU will have the best defense on the field that day and an upset wouldn't be shocking, but may be surprising, to those who've followed this NDSU team over the last few years.

NDB
November 13th, 2012, 09:28 AM
Holy sh#t for counting chickens!

How about NDSU beats Illinois State before we crown their as#es?

SpeedkingATL
November 13th, 2012, 09:30 AM
The SoCons record against FBS schools like most FCS teams has never been good.

Georgia Southern is 1-19 with a win against Florida International. App State has 'the' win against Michigan and then a half dozen against Wake Forest to go with 33 losses. Wofford is 1-15 with a win against Louisiana Monroe.

NDSU is the only school with a winning record against FBS (6-3). A lot of that has to do with scheduling non-BCS and bad BCS teams andand then beating them by playing smash mouth football.

I'm not a big fan of powerhouse FBS teams. I don't think it's good for players, fans, or team building.

Yeah but those powerhouse FBS schools can sure write some big checks! That said WCU at Alabama??? Can Bama play their scout team???

NoDak 4 Ever
November 13th, 2012, 09:33 AM

This entire conversation has been about scheduling tough FBS teams. I simply said that due to some interesting timing that NDSU will play K State next year. That game will happen no matter who wins the ISUr game. There has been minimal conjecture but I was only offering scheduling analysis and not a prediction. Nobody really cares who will win that game right now, just that it's happening.

Professor Chaos
November 13th, 2012, 09:34 AM

Calm down, I'm not speculating about both teams coming in as national champs. I'm just saying that with what each team will bring back next year there's a possibility of a pretty significant FCS over ranked FBS win regardless of what each team does the rest of this year.

It would've been similar to a team like Georgia Southern playing a team like Arkansas this year. I think GSU would've had a decent chance (by that I mean about 1 in 3) to beat an overrated Razorbacks team in the first game of the season.

ElCid
November 13th, 2012, 11:22 AM
There is another reason we have been beat down. Most middle of the road or bad FBS teams do not want to schedule the SOCON (or any other teams from good conferences), because there is a chance they can lose. Like any team, these FBSs want the W, but they do not, under any circumstance, want to take a chance and actually lose to an FCS team. The easy W to help become bowl eligible would be a big wammy if they lose. I do not entirely agree that the SOCON does not play the SB or Conf USA more simply because of the check. I think the lower FBS do not want to take a chance on losing and do not have the invites out as much. And the better an FCS is, the less likely they are to play a lower tier FBS. Do you really think a Middle Tenn St. or a Troy would like to see a Ga So or App St each year?! Or how soon do you think Col St. is going to invite NDSU back? You will always get the Alabama's inviting the Western Carolinas. It may not be the whole story, but it is a big factor.

I-16Bandit
November 13th, 2012, 11:29 AM
Would loooove to have team like Tech or Auburn this year. Seems like when it comes time for us to play our FBS team, they are on their upswing (i.e. Florida next year, LSU year after).