PDA

View Full Version : FCS Playoff Guidelines Debate

ITmonarch10
November 12th, 2012, 03:02 PM
Brain Fart momentxholyx. Ignore or Delete this thread.

mcveyrl
November 12th, 2012, 03:04 PM
That section doesn't apply to those teams.. The section you bolded is for the bridge AQ.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 12th, 2012, 03:06 PM
4. The committee may give more consideration to those teams that have played all Division I opponents;

Hmmm.

danefan
November 12th, 2012, 03:07 PM
That section doesn't apply to those teams.. The section you bolded is for the bridge AQ.

+1

For those conferences that qualify for automatic qualification but do not receive it...

Originally drafted to apply to the Big South, NEC and PFL, that section is on its last leg as it is only now applicable to the PFL and will not be applicable to anyone next year when the PFL gets an AQ.

ITmonarch10
November 12th, 2012, 03:08 PM
I completely read that section wrong. I'm guessing that was a product a previous era of FCS football. I Guess Ill either delete or update the thread. Derp moment:p

ursus arctos horribilis
November 12th, 2012, 03:11 PM
The first part of that is key here:
"For those conferences that qualify for automatic qualification but do not receive it, "

ursus arctos horribilis
November 12th, 2012, 03:12 PM
Ah, I'm late to the party again.xlolx

Mr. Pink
November 12th, 2012, 03:13 PM

Explain? What is a bridge auto qualifier?

mcveyrl
November 12th, 2012, 03:14 PM
Enter danefan...he explains it much better than I.

danefan
November 12th, 2012, 03:15 PM
I completely read that section wrong. I'm guessing that was a product a previous era of FCS football. I Guess Ill either delete or update the thread. Derp moment:p

It was really only relevant in the 2008 and 2009 years before the Big South and NEC AQ's were granted. After that, the PFL has never had a team even get close to fulfulling all three spots.

It is an interesting point though, because you have to imagine the thought rpocess that went into developing that criteria is in line with the logic the Committee uses to select at-larges.

If you have multiple OOC wins over AQ conference opponents from anyone but the Big South and NEC (the AQ conferences at them time this was passed) and have 8 DI wins, you're probably going to find yourself ranked high and if not its probably because your strength of schedule is weak.

Twentysix
November 12th, 2012, 03:16 PM

A way to gurantee the PFL a way into the playoffs, however, they can never pull it off.

Danefan explains it very well.

ITmonarch10
November 12th, 2012, 03:19 PM
A way to gurantee the PFL a way into the playoffs, however, they can never pull it off.

Danefan explains it very well.

Was their ever a time a team even came close?

danefan
November 12th, 2012, 03:52 PM

In a nutshell here is what the "Bridge" was:

The NEC petitioned the NCAA to grant it an auto-bid. The NCAA denied the request numerous years over until finally they succombed in 2008 for whatever reason. Some say it was the additional of scholarships, others say it was due to the NCAA changing its philosophy on the AQs, others say it was becaus the NEC made an effort to play with the rest of FCS. The Big SOuth also jumped on board once Stony Brook joined and they had enough members for the requisite number of years to seek an AQ.

Regardless, the NCAA recognized that the NEC and Big South met all the qualifications for an AQ and had requested one, yet they didn't want to work out the logistics to expand the playoffs right away to add the additional AQs, so they came up with this work around which essentially provided a guaranteed at-large if you met the criteria. Or in other words it replaced an at-large with the "Bridge AQ" if you met the criteria. Once the playoffs were expanded in 2010, the critera no longer applied to anyone except the PFL. It does not apply to the Ivy or SWAC because they never requested an AQ. It didn't apply to the GWFC when it existed because it did not have enough members.

No one ever met the criteria.

It as near impossible from the start becuse none of the teams would have ever had the average ranking. But it was an identifiable criteria for teams to schedule against and many team from the NEC began to catch up to Albany and schedule OOC games against more AQ conference opponents.

walliver
November 12th, 2012, 04:04 PM
Was their ever a time a team even came close?

A few years ago the San Diego Toreros were the absolute best team ever .. at least according to some AGS posters who haven't been seen since.
A few Jacksonville Dolphin fans got excited a year or two ago.
About 12 years ago, Gardner-Webb went 10-1, and stayed home (their one loss was 56-0 to GSU)
I don't think any of those teams received serious consideration.

The problem with the Pioneer league is that their members rarely if ever played two OOC teams from AQ conferences and won.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 12th, 2012, 04:06 PM
A few years ago the San Diego Toreros were the absolute best team ever .. at least according to some AGS posters who haven't been seen since.
A few Jacksonville Dolphin fans got excited a year or two ago.
About 12 years ago, Gardner-Webb went 10-1, and stayed home (their one loss was 56-0 to GSU)
I don't think any of those teams received serious consideration.

The problem with the Pioneer league is that their members rarely if ever played two OOC teams from AQ conferences and won.

I am also pretty sure all those teams didn't have 10 D-I wins. If memory serves G-W only had 8, maybe fewer.

URMite
November 13th, 2012, 02:37 PM
I thought it was for PFL, NEC, & Big South. Didn't Albany get close one year? They lost one of their CAA games and were disqualified?

danefan
November 13th, 2012, 03:00 PM
I thought it was for PFL, NEC, & Big South. Didn't Albany get close one year? They lost one of their CAA games and were disqualified?

It was.

We had 8 DI wins in 2008, including a win over Hofstra, but lost the other 3 CAA teams we played that year (UMass, Delaware and UNH).

Never made it into the rankings either.

That was really the only schedule from the NEC that could have made it work. If we would have won 3 out of the 4 CAA games we played that year we would have had the ranking and the other criteria.

Wallace
November 14th, 2012, 05:14 AM
USD Toreros had 8 D-I win regular seasons in 2006-2007-2008, mostly because of this guy:

http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/log/index.php/2008/04/25/san-diego-qb-josh-johnson-highlight-reel?blog=2

danefan
November 14th, 2012, 06:20 AM
USD Toreros had 8 D-I win regular seasons in 2006-2007-2008 (tel:2006-2007-2008), mostly because of this guy:

http://www.championshipsubdivisionnews.com/log/index.php/2008/04/25/san-diego-qb-josh-johnson-highlight-reel?blog=2

1. Pretty sure the Bridge wasn't around in 2006 or 2007
2. In 2008 they couldn't have qualified as they didn't even schedule two teams from AQ conferences.

appfan2008
November 14th, 2012, 07:20 AM
Originally drafted to apply to the Big South, NEC and PFL, that section is on its last leg as it is only now applicable to the PFL and will not be applicable to anyone next year when the PFL gets an AQ.

just give them out to anybody..........

danefan
November 14th, 2012, 07:42 AM

It is the policy of the NCAA to provide AQs to any conference that qualifies and requests one.

The PFL meets every criteria in the book.

skinny_uncle
November 14th, 2012, 08:14 AM

Engineer86
November 14th, 2012, 11:35 AM

With the addition of the PFL, there are also three more at large bids. If they do not deserve the AQ bid, I and SURE you will beat them on the field, so it should be a non-issue. If you want to argue the at large bids going to what You view as lesser leagues, then you have a point. I would suggest that you work to get on the selection committee so your opinion will matter.