PDA

View Full Version : Georgia Southern AD Announcement

GATA_Eagles
November 12th, 2012, 10:34 AM
After the retirement of Sam Baker and an extensive nationwide search, Georgia Southern will name it's new Athletic Director today. The press conference will happen at 6pm EST.

The press conference can be viewed at:http://www.georgiasouthern.tv

rokamortis
November 12th, 2012, 10:41 AM
Who is it? Surely there has been a leak.

rbostic278
November 12th, 2012, 10:47 AM
You would be surprised info on anything concerning Ga Southern is like breaking into Ft. Knox. Don't get me started on recruiting, sad.

Apphole
November 12th, 2012, 10:49 AM
I heard Charlie Cobb has been itching to leave ASU...

SpeedkingATL
November 12th, 2012, 10:58 AM
Press conference to be held at Zaxbys at 6PM. Free chicken fingers for everyone!

Mr. Pink
November 12th, 2012, 10:59 AM
Zaxbys IS a GSU tradition...

GlassOnion
November 12th, 2012, 11:00 AM
GSU is proud to announce, the return of Samuel Baker!

GSU EAGLES
November 12th, 2012, 11:04 AM

Given the way that guy has been able to hold on for so long despite huge mistakes, I wouldn't be shocked!

ASUMountaineer
November 12th, 2012, 12:18 PM

And GSU fans everywhere decide to switch allegiance to GSU version2.0, Georgia State.

walliver
November 12th, 2012, 12:27 PM

I also hear that they are moving to the South Atlantic Conference.

eaglewraith
November 12th, 2012, 12:41 PM

I would ****ing kill someone.

Apphole
November 12th, 2012, 12:55 PM
In a surprise announcement, Mike D'Antoni is the new Stink AD.

Mr. Pink
November 12th, 2012, 01:02 PM

I cannot explain how funny I thought that was.

atlfcsfan
November 12th, 2012, 01:22 PM

Well if they wanted to be bold, they could go and get Bill Curry, I hear he's available. lol

TheRevSFA
November 12th, 2012, 01:25 PM
Erk Russel's head...

appfan2008
November 12th, 2012, 01:39 PM

I think you got that backwords... he just got a new job... I think its Phil Jackson... he is still looking...

bullitt_60
November 12th, 2012, 02:06 PM
Press conference to be held at Zaxbys at 6PM. Free chicken fingers for everyone!

That would be awesome.

GSU EAGLES
November 12th, 2012, 03:18 PM

Don't forget Chic-fil-a.

cbarrier90
November 12th, 2012, 03:25 PM
That would be awesome.

As long as they give out unlimited amounts of Zax sauce for free, I'm there.

Apphole
November 12th, 2012, 03:29 PM
I think you got that backwords... he just got a new job... I think its Phil Jackson... he is still looking...

Oh no. I know what's going on in LA.

I said a surprise announcement. All that "Vote Yes to FBS" money flowing into Stinkboro allowed them to outbid the Lakers for D'Antoni.

I'll also add that NBA coach to FCS AD is a seamless transition.

I-16Bandit
November 12th, 2012, 05:04 PM
The new Athletic Director for Georgia Southern University is Thomas Kleinlein.

http://www.kentstatesports.com/athleticDepartment/bios/Tom_Kleinlein

gasoutherneagle
November 12th, 2012, 05:20 PM
Kent State?!?!?

WTF have they ever done? ...EVER?!?!

I understand the Yankee thing, especially moving up... but, HOLY SH__!

keller625
November 12th, 2012, 05:20 PM
what kind of changes do yall think will be implemented? or would like to see?

gasoutherneagle
November 12th, 2012, 05:28 PM
NOT HAVING AN AD FROM KENT f'ing STATE!!!!

Horseshoe App
November 12th, 2012, 05:32 PM
At least he did work at ASU:)

PhillyApp1
November 12th, 2012, 05:39 PM
And the Golden Flash looks like an eagle,,,kind of .....lmao

GSUEagles#1
November 12th, 2012, 05:41 PM
At least he did work at ASU:)

Ya as in Arizona State....

Horseshoe App
November 12th, 2012, 05:43 PM
It is only a joke. Lighten up!!

Ya as in Arizona State....

GATA_OneMoreTime
November 12th, 2012, 05:45 PM
Kent State?!?!?

WTF have they ever done? ...EVER?!?!

I understand the Yankee thing, especially moving up... but, HOLY SH__!
Kent state is number 25 in the AP poll this week. I'd say that's doing pretty well all things considered.

GSUEagles#1
November 12th, 2012, 05:46 PM
It is only a joke. Lighten up!!

I know it was a joke, I just had to clarify because some App Fans would come on here and see that and go on and on about it without reading his bio! :) The only good thing we got from Y'all was Paul Johnson :)

gsu_paintballer
November 12th, 2012, 05:49 PM

Well, ya got one. So shut up and like it.

Horseshoe App
November 12th, 2012, 05:53 PM
Shoot, he is a redneck from Avery County. You can have him. He also went to WCU, so he can't be that smart:)

I know it was a joke, I just had to clarify because some App Fans would come on here and see that and go on and on about it without reading his bio! :) The only good thing we got from Y'all was Paul Johnson :)

citdog
November 12th, 2012, 05:55 PM
If you don't like the hire why not attack his van as he's driving into town?

gsu_paintballer
November 12th, 2012, 05:58 PM

Or we could just secede!

cannonballgsu
November 12th, 2012, 05:59 PM

Funny.

See you in the playoffs.

The Eagle's Cliff
November 12th, 2012, 06:00 PM
I like the hire. The other finalist was Chris Kingston from NC St. I like Tom's background, contact network, and fundraising experience. We've got a leader, now who will follow.

eaglewraith
November 12th, 2012, 06:05 PM

Wow.

You even look at his history?

gasoutherneagle
November 12th, 2012, 06:20 PM
Wow.

You even look at his history?

Simply, unimpressed with the initial resume hire...

...ready to be DAZZLED!

eaglewraith
November 12th, 2012, 06:26 PM
Simply, unimpressed with the initial resume hire...

...ready to be DAZZLED!

Why are you not impressed?

Who would you have preferred?

Mr. C
November 12th, 2012, 06:40 PM
Two of the names I had heard were interested were former Georgia AD Dana Evans and Louisiana-Lafayette AD Scott Farmer, a former coach and assistant AD at Georgia Southern.

eaglesrback
November 12th, 2012, 06:48 PM
Two of the names I had heard were interested were former Georgia AD Dana Evans and Louisiana-Lafayette AD Scott Farmer, a former coach and assistant AD at Georgia Southern.

That would be Damon Evans.He did have Statesboro ties..... hehehe..

gasoutherneagle
November 12th, 2012, 06:49 PM
Why are you not impressed?`

KENT f'ing STATE... was that not clear?

Who would you have preferred?

Someone NOT from KENT f'ing STATE... was that not clear?

eaglewraith
November 12th, 2012, 06:54 PM
`

And you're being a dumb ****ing fan by using that answer over and over.

He's been an Assistant AD at Kent State, Arizona State, Rutgers, and Wake Forest. What screams awful about that resume?

He's led a lot of fundraising and ticket sales initiatives. That's a lot of what we need right now. And guess what, he's been successful in those ventures.

For all interested, here's Mr Kleinlein's Bio from Kent State:
http://www.kentstatesports.com/athleticDepartment/bios/Tom_Kleinlein

eaglewraith
November 12th, 2012, 06:59 PM

Scott Farmer was an automatic candidate in our fans' eyes due to his connections and the fact he's one of us. I wouldn't have been satisfied with a candidate that was less impressive than him. I think we've done well even though we didn't get Farmer.

gasoutherneagle
November 12th, 2012, 06:59 PM
And you're being a dumb ****ing fan by using that answer over and over.

Not at all.

I'm fairly certain that we all expected an SEC asst. AD or, at least, a BCS conference asst. AD.

YOU as well, I'm sure.

eaglewraith
November 12th, 2012, 07:04 PM
Not at all.

I'm fairly certain that we all expected an SEC asst. AD or, at least, a BCS conference asst. AD.

YOU as well, I'm sure.

Dude has worked in the Pac-12, Big East, and ACC. That's BCS level. He was at Kent State because their new AD there WANTED him to come work there. Stands to reason that means he'd done some good work somewhere. Look at his body of work, not just the current school he's at.

gasoutherneagle
November 12th, 2012, 07:08 PM
Dude has worked in the Pac-12, Big East, and ACC. That's BCS level. He was at Kent State because their new AD there WANTED him to come work there. Stands to reason that means he'd done some good work somewhere. Look at his body of work, not just the current school he's at.

Great. Glad to hear you're on-board. I'M NOT YET! xrotatehx

SORRY! ...I expected more.

eaglewraith
November 12th, 2012, 07:10 PM

He meets the criteria you set forward in a previous post. What else is there?

gasoutherneagle
November 12th, 2012, 07:16 PM
NO... he doesn't.

Kent State is on the resume.

xlolx

The Eagle's Cliff
November 12th, 2012, 07:17 PM

If that's the case, your expectations are unreasonable. Georgia Southern can only pay an AD so much so we were definitely looking at an Assistant AD. Over 50 applicants were screened.

As for the "Kent freaking State" comments, I'm sure more people have heard of them than Georgia freaking Southern.

We're small potatoes trying to grow. Your comments are delusional

walliver
November 12th, 2012, 07:17 PM
`

Isn't Kent State playing the the highest level of college football at which GSU aspires to play?

GSU isn't going to the SEC or ACC. Ever. What you need is someone with experience at promoting a mid-major FBS team.

gasoutherneagle
November 12th, 2012, 07:45 PM
We're small potatoes trying to grow. Your comments are delusional

The wife and I came home in quiet expectation of the broadcast that would decide the future of Eagle athletics... heard it and sat silently, with jaws dropped saying to each other: WHO... FROM WHERE?!?!

I'm probably way off base... as usual.

But, DAMN... THE greatest FCS program of all time, and it's fans... should expect more. Especially, one in the center of THE BIGGEST recruiting area in the country (If Old Dom can blow up in a large, but secondary, recruiting area and move up... SH--!).

gasoutherneagle
November 12th, 2012, 07:46 PM
Isn't Kent State playing the the highest level of college football at which GSU aspires to play?

GSU isn't going to the SEC or ACC. Ever. What you need is someone with experience at promoting a mid-major FBS team.

Stay out of it, "never gonna get there." You're not in this fight.

cbarrier90
November 12th, 2012, 08:07 PM
But, DAMN... THE greatest FCS program of all time, and it's fans... should expect more.

App does have lofty expectations! xrotatehx

Sorry, couldn't resist...

Eaglesrus
November 12th, 2012, 08:12 PM
The wife and I came home in quiet expectation of the broadcast that would decide the future of Eagle athletics... heard it and sat silently, with jaws dropped saying to each other: WHO... FROM WHERE?!?!

But, DAMN... THE greatest FCS program of all time, and it's fans... should expect more. Especially, one in the center of THE BIGGEST recruiting area in the country (If Old Dom can blow up in a large, but secondary, recruiting area and move up... SH--!).

I don't understand why you are placing so much emphasis on who his current employer is and pretty much ignoring the rest of his body of work. He appears to have accomplished a lot for a guy that's 41 years old, and to me that indicates that he'll probably bring a lot of energy to the position.

Eagle22
November 12th, 2012, 09:05 PM
I don't understand why you are placing so much emphasis on who his current employer is and pretty much ignoring the rest of his body of work. He appears to have accomplished a lot for a guy that's 41 years old, and to me that indicates that he'll probably bring a lot of energy to the position.

Exactly. Would rather catch someone on the upswing rather than the back swing of their career. That is what we need at this point.

GSUwinsagain
November 12th, 2012, 09:41 PM

I really don't know what you expected. We don't have an unlimited budget for this position. With that being said, I think he is a great hire and he is excited about being here.

GSUwinsagain
November 12th, 2012, 09:42 PM

I really don't know what you expected. We don't have an unlimited budget for this position. With that being said, I think he is a great hire and he is excited about being here.

bullitt_60
November 12th, 2012, 10:11 PM
He seems to have a very solid resume. Looking forward to see what he can do.

Without looking, tell me who ODU's AD is and where he came from.

eaglewraith
November 12th, 2012, 10:36 PM
He seems to have a very solid resume. Looking forward to see what he can do.

Without looking, tell me who ODU's AD is and where he came from.

Oh this answer should be humorous.

GSUEagles#1
November 12th, 2012, 11:22 PM

GSUEagles#1
November 12th, 2012, 11:24 PM
I think there is an issue with a lot of fans (and specifically GSU) only focusing on the Football side of the Athletics department when it comes to the AD. I personally am more excited to hear what he will do to step-up the programs for Basketball, soccer, etc. Yes I understand, like a lot of schools, that football is the revenue for most of the sports, but in order to be successful in FBS, we need to be better all around.

seantaylor
November 13th, 2012, 01:14 AM

You are an idiot.

dungeonjoe
November 13th, 2012, 05:41 AM
I heard he was Brian Van Gorder"s cousin.

The Eagle's Cliff
November 13th, 2012, 06:41 AM
I think there is an issue with a lot of fans (and specifically GSU) only focusing on the Football side of the Athletics department when it comes to the AD. I personally am more excited to hear what he will do to step-up the programs for Basketball, soccer, etc. Yes I understand, like a lot of schools, that football is the revenue for most of the sports, but in order to be successful in FBS, we need to be better all around.

This is one of the main "pros" of reclassifying to FBS. Not only does football retain some Georgia players currently signing with Middle Tenn, Western Ky, Troy, Southern Miss, UAB, etc., but there are baseball, basketball, and olympic athletes who see FCS conferences as below D1. FCS fans understand the differences, but the general public sees D2 = FCS.

asumike83
November 13th, 2012, 08:21 AM
`

Kent State's football team is 9-1 and #25 in the current AP Poll, their baseball team just went to Omaha and their men's basketball program has won 20+ games each of the past three years. That sure seems like a well run athletic department to me. Get a grip.

eaglewraith
November 13th, 2012, 08:31 AM

In his press conference he noted that at Kent State they didn't really have a football culture like we do, so in order to get some national notice of the athletics programs they put emphasis in improving the Olympic sports to gain that attention. It seems like he understands the importance of having those other sports be as good and as well known nationally as possible as well. I think we made a wise choice.

eaglewraith
November 13th, 2012, 08:33 AM
You are an idiot.

Holy crap skins just called someone an idiot for talking bad about Georgia Southern's AD.

Not sure what this means. I think it's a good thing.

ChiefGSU275
November 13th, 2012, 09:07 AM
Holy crap skins just called someone an idiot for talking bad about Georgia Southern's AD.

Kleinlein is already uniting our fanbase. This guy is good.

SpeedkingATL
November 13th, 2012, 09:12 AM
Looks to be a pretty good hire and someone with FBS experience. Football team looks pretty solid this year too.

KeeperoftheCreek
November 13th, 2012, 10:56 AM

Maybe the Mayans were right! The world is coming to an end!

Baldy
November 13th, 2012, 11:38 AM
Looks to be a pretty good hire and someone with FBS experience. Football team looks pretty solid this year too.
Interesting that Western passed on him last year. Their loss, our gain? xeyebrowx

Gringer1
November 13th, 2012, 01:02 PM
Doing things differently from Western Carolina is rarely a bad decision.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 13th, 2012, 01:14 PM
Some of our fans really want someone who have a big-name school on his resume regardless of what position they have actually held. I would much rather have someone who has worked high-level positions in a mid-major school.

AppAlum2003
November 13th, 2012, 01:27 PM
Hey, I missed the press conference... what school is the new AD coming from?

Baldy
November 13th, 2012, 01:30 PM
Doing things differently from Western Carolina is rarely a bad decision.
xlolx

ASUMountaineer
November 13th, 2012, 01:31 PM

xlmaox

Mr. Pink
November 13th, 2012, 01:49 PM
Kent State.

ChiefGSU275
November 13th, 2012, 03:30 PM
And word just came down that the BOR approved the student fees that were voted on. Football Op Center will begin construction after the season. New AD in office. Just need an invite...

AppAlum2003
November 13th, 2012, 03:32 PM
And word just came down that the BOR approved the student fees that were voted on. Football Op Center will begin construction after the season. New AD in office. Just need an invite...

We'll invite you if you invite us!

Gringer1
November 13th, 2012, 03:49 PM
App State, GSU, and Idaho band together. Each school sponsors 2 teams, creating 6 total. A new conference forms overnight.

gasoutherneagle
November 13th, 2012, 04:33 PM
AN APOLOGY:xsmhx

I realize that I kinda went off the reservation last night.xcrazyx After a 20 hour cooling-off period, speaking with a few folks in the know, reading a few background details, and TAKING MY MEDICATION,xholyx I realize we are in good hands and have nothing to worry about.

I'm sorry, everyone. And, I was wrong. I allowed my mouth to get away from my brain xblahxand stank it up without thinking it through first.

...so, there ya go.

GATA Eagles!

whoanellie
November 13th, 2012, 08:42 PM
this guy you hired does have a pretty awesome background as one of the first 300lb O-Linemen at Wake Forest under Bill Dooley
knee injury in last of his senior year wrecked is pro career. Has paid his dues and has great connections in North Carolina as his dad
"Red" is a long time assistant at several Triad High Schools. He will be on the field this Friday in Charlotte NC as Butler hosts his still undefeated East
Forsyth NC just saying He's not an A-hole.