PDA

View Full Version : Battle of the Blue Pregame Thread. Nova @ Delaware

VUCats02
November 12th, 2012, 09:33 AM
Blue Hens looking to play spoiler. Nova needs to win to get in, and have a good chance of winning the CAA autobid if they do win.

VUCats02
November 12th, 2012, 10:00 AM
Game is televised on CSN at 3:30. The New Hampshire - Towson game is at 12:00. Richmond game is at 1:00. Nova will probably be close to knowing whether they can win the conference auto bid with a win before the game even starts.

UD77
November 12th, 2012, 10:06 AM
UD is adding some of the band members to the FB team this week as there are many openings after having all the injuries this year. Heck, if the band members paid attention they should already know the three offensive plays that we run.

bluehenbillk
November 12th, 2012, 10:33 AM
I actually have a pretty good feeling about this week. UD plays the run pretty well (#1 in the league) & VU's QB is listed as questionable for the game with a concussion. Prediction on Wednesday.

CFBfan
November 12th, 2012, 11:15 AM
UD is adding some of the band members to the FB team this week as there are many openings after having all the injuries this year. Heck, if the band members paid attention they should already know the three offensive plays that we run.

i know you've had a lot of injuries this year, how many and what positions did you lose?

Lehigh Football Nation
November 12th, 2012, 11:16 AM
@kevintresolini Villanova QB John Robertson questionable because of concussion. Back-up Chris Polony started vs. #BlueHens last year. #CAAFB

Ouch...

bluehenbillk
November 12th, 2012, 11:18 AM
i know you've had a lot of injuries this year, how many and what positions did you lose?

Everyone has injuries so nobody at UD is making excuses to clear that up. Our #1 RB has missed 3-4 games, we lost 2 LB's that would've started & 2 others that would've provided depth. We've had some OL injuries but nothing major - our 5 starters have been playing the last 3 games. Lost 3 DL for the year as well, UD normally rotates about 8 guys there. And the kicker has been nursing an injury the past few weeks, still playing but noticeably effecting performance.

CFBfan
November 12th, 2012, 11:25 AM
Everyone has injuries so nobody at UD is making excuses to clear that up. Our #1 RB has missed 3-4 games, we lost 2 LB's that would've started & 2 others that would've provided depth. We've had some OL injuries but nothing major - our 5 starters have been playing the last 3 games. Lost 3 DL for the year as well, UD normally rotates about 8 guys there. And the kicker has been nursing an injury the past few weeks, still playing but noticeably effecting performance.

thanks...i wasn't reading it as you making excuses!! so you lost DL and LB's for season!!! impossible to overcome
good luck saturday, it would be a sweet win

VUCats02
November 12th, 2012, 04:12 PM
@kevintresolini Villanova QB John Robertson questionable because of concussion. Back-up Chris Polony started vs. #BlueHens last year. #CAAFB

Ouch...

Major Ouch. I have never been a fan of Polony. I think Polony playing will significantly hurt Nova's chances of winning this game and making the playoffs. Hopefully Robertson will be ready to go. If Nova wins and gets a bye, he'll have a nice week to recover for the playoffs.

Lehigh'98
November 12th, 2012, 04:21 PM
Wow this is going to be weird............................................G o Delaware. Need shower.

VUCats02
November 12th, 2012, 06:39 PM
Wow this is going to be weird............................................G o Delaware. Need shower.

C'mon. You absolutely 100% know you want Nova to come to Goodman in the first round of the playoffs...

Mr. C
November 12th, 2012, 07:00 PM
Robertson's concussion was viewed as minor on Saturday, if he passes the tests, he will start. Polony, BTW, is one of the better backups in FCS. He throws the ball better than Robertson. Robertson is a much better runner.

Lehigh'98
November 12th, 2012, 07:00 PM
C'mon. You absolutely 100% know you want Nova to come to Goodman in the first round of the playoffs...

I would 100% love to have you guys. Really like your Fr QB and hope he can play this week. That would mean we are in. Right now I am just concerned about getting invited to the dance. Anyway, I'd never get too upset if UD lost plus we need to beat that annoying school down the road first.

CHIP72
November 12th, 2012, 08:48 PM

The issue is Lehigh is not a given for the playoffs.

For whatever it is worth, as someone who roots for both Lehigh and Villanova (albeit with Lehigh higher in my pecking order), objectively-speaking I think Villanova is a better team. The Wildcats really need John Robertson though - he's really been the difference-maker between the lost 2011 season and the getting-back-on-track 2012 season.

VUCats02
November 12th, 2012, 09:40 PM
Mr. C,

Polony might have a better arm - I'm not sure. Fact of the matter is, Robertson is not only an exponentially better runner, but he also is much smarter than Polony. As crazy as that sounds, Robertson's legs have not impressed me the most this year. It is his decision making. Polony has thrown one too many interceptions for my liking. Robertson has an incredible IQ, especially for a freshman.

HailSzczur
November 12th, 2012, 10:05 PM
Mr. C,

Polony might have a better arm - I'm not sure. Fact of the matter is, Robertson is not only an exponentially better runner, but he also is much smarter than Polony. As crazy as that sounds, Robertson's legs have not impressed me the most this year. It is his decision making. Polony has thrown one too many interceptions for my liking. Robertson has an incredible IQ, especially for a freshman.

I was sold on Polony after the UMass game last year. Honestly I didn't even notice when we changed QB's for afew minutes. I feel very comfortable with Polony under center, it does how ever take away a huge part of our ground game which is a huge loss/

bluehenbillk
November 13th, 2012, 09:12 AM
Any guesses on over/under on VU fans there on Saturday? I'll go with 185....

SpeedkingATL
November 13th, 2012, 09:14 AM
Go Hens!

VUCats02
November 13th, 2012, 12:42 PM

I'll take the over.

Mr. C
November 13th, 2012, 12:50 PM
Mr. C,

No might. Polony does have a stronger and more accurate arm. I've seen both in practice, game-situations, film, etc. Polony was actually ranked 22nd nationally among QBs in terms of NFL potential before the season by one scout who gives me his stuff. Robertson is a good decision-maker and has pretty good leadership ability, too.

Mr. C
November 13th, 2012, 12:52 PM
The issue is Lehigh is not a given for the playoffs.

For whatever it is worth, as someone who roots for both Lehigh and Villanova (albeit with Lehigh higher in my pecking order), objectively-speaking I think Villanova is a better team. The Wildcats really need John Robertson though - he's really been the difference-maker between the lost 2011 season and the getting-back-on-track 2012 season.

I think Villanova is the better team, too, but I think both get in with wins. No 10-win team from an auto-bid league has EVER been snubbed for a playoff berth.

bluehenbillk
November 13th, 2012, 01:40 PM
No might. Polony does have a stronger and more accurate arm. I've seen both in practice, game-situations, film, etc. Polony was actually ranked 22nd nationally among QBs in terms of NFL potential before the season by one scout who gives me his stuff. Robertson is a good decision-maker and has pretty good leadership ability, too.

And Polony was benched after what, 15 minutes of football this year? I'd find a different scout b/c that guy couldn't buy a clue with what his opinion is worth...

HailSzczur
November 13th, 2012, 02:13 PM

I'll take the over as well. I know there's a group of 7 of us going down, which makes it 178. Between the Blue White Club, The Football Club, players families, and other fans we will break that for sure

VUCats02
November 13th, 2012, 02:20 PM
I'll take the over as well. I know there's a group of 7 of us going down, which makes it 178. Between the Blue White Club, The Football Club, players families, and other fans we will break that for sure

I was there 2 years ago for the game, and went with several friends. We sat in the student section. There were about 50 villanova students alone sitting in Delaware's student section. Delaware kids sneaked in their Nova friends.

VUCats02
November 13th, 2012, 02:24 PM
And Polony was benched after what, 15 minutes of football this year? I'd find a different scout b/c that guy couldn't buy a clue with what his opinion is worth...

I have to sadly agree with bluehen here. I would be willing to bet that if Polony plays Nova will lose Saturday.

VUCats02
November 13th, 2012, 10:36 PM
I have not followed Delaware that much in the past few games. What is Pierce's current status in terms of his injury?

MR. CHICKEN
November 14th, 2012, 07:20 AM
17219....# 30.....HAS UH SPRAINED MCL......SUFFERED....AGIN'...'OL DIMMY.........BELIEVE KEELER...SAID @ DUH TIME.....MAY MISS 1-4 WEEKS.......'NOVA IS WEEK 3....WHIFF NO WEEK 4..FO' HENS DIS SEASON (AGIN')..:(....MAYBEAH...K.C.....WILL UP-DATE ON RADIO SHOW....TA-NITE...7 PM..WDSD..94.7FM...xdontknowx...BRAWK/OBAMA/BIDEN!

http://tunein.com/radio/947-WDSD-s22368/...........17222

bluehenbillk
November 14th, 2012, 07:47 AM
I have not followed Delaware that much in the past few games. What is Pierce's current status in terms of his injury?

questionable

HailSzczur
November 14th, 2012, 09:38 AM
Still waiting for word on Robertson. Have heard that if he passes the concussion test today he is good to practice tomorrow and start on Saturday.

caribbeanhen
November 14th, 2012, 03:40 PM
17219....# 30.....HAS UH SPRAINED MCL......SUFFERED....AGIN'...'OL DIMMY.........BELIEVE KEELER...SAID @ DUH TIME.....MAY MISS 1-4 WEEKS.......'NOVA IS WEEK 3....WHIFF NO WEEK 4..FO' HENS DIS SEASON (AGIN')..:(....MAYBEAH...K.C.....WILL UP-DATE ON RADIO SHOW....TA-NITE...7 PM..WDSD..94.7FM...xdontknowx...BRAWK/OBAMA/BIDEN!

http://tunein.com/radio/947-WDSD-s22368/...........17222

I have a hard time seeing the Hens winning this game without Pierce, last week it looked like they decided to unleash the passing game down in Richmond and we have 4 turnovers to show for it.... Hurley had some nice moments, it seemed he was coached to " just let it rip " as he has been a bit hesitant to pull the trigger this year and has paid the price by getting clobbered more time than he or any hen fan care to remember

MR. CHICKEN
November 14th, 2012, 06:44 PM

17227......KEELER JES' MENTIONED.......PIERCE PRACTICED TA-DAY.......WILL BE AVAILABLE SATURDAY.....TA GIVE LAING...SOME BLOWS......xnodx....AWK!

MECHANICALLY...OKAY.....STILL SOME SWELLIN'....BRAWK!

Jacked_Rabbit
November 14th, 2012, 06:49 PM
I have no support to back this prediction... I'll take the Hens to win by 3.

MR. CHICKEN
November 14th, 2012, 06:55 PM
17228.....MAY DUH...BEST TEAM...WIN........NO WAIT........WE NEED DELAWARE TA WIN..........:)....BRAWK!

LetsGoNova
November 14th, 2012, 08:36 PM
Daily News reporting that Robertson has passed all of his concussion tests and will likely play Saturday. They'll know for sure after tomorrow's practice. I'll bet he plays.

Mr. C
November 15th, 2012, 09:43 AM

You are an absolute idiot. But then you are good for making uninformed opinions gospel. The scout is highly accurate on his draft picks every year and also on his projections for young players. The kid is just a sophomore, so he has plenty of room to develop. And for what's its worth, Polony looked very good on Saturday, coming off the bench and being forced to take over. He led a touchdown drive on his first series. It is a moot point anyway, with Robertson expected to play on Saturday after practicing today. The coaching staff actually thinks it was good to get Polony a lot of reps this week, too.

HailSzczur
November 15th, 2012, 09:54 AM
You are an absolute idiot. But then you are good for making uninformed opinions gospel. The scout is highly accurate on his draft picks every year and also on his projections for young players. The kid is just a sophomore, so he has plenty of room to develop. And for what's its worth, Polony looked very good on Saturday, coming off the bench and being forced to take over. He led a touchdown drive on his first series. It is a moot point anyway, with Robertson expected to play on Saturday after practicing today. The coaching staff actually thinks it was good to get Polony a lot of reps this week, too.

Other than the INT against Temple, which was about as bad as they come, Polony didn't do anything wrong this season. The way I read his benching in that game was somewhere along the lines of "well Temple's running all over us, why not give this a go, what do we have to lose" Then between the end of Temple and the beginning of Fordham Andy liked what he saw and decided to stick with it. It's not so much that Polony got bench, more that we decided to experiment a little. Robertson originally was supposed to get snaps as the Wildcat QB.

Also with Polony vs Robertson I think there might be a bit of comfort having a running QB, since thats what we've had for the last 4 or 5 years

VUCats02
November 15th, 2012, 10:04 AM

Polony looked okay, but not even close to how robertson has looked all year. Last year, Polony just made some awful passes, which is what I'm judging him on. He may have improved from his Fresh to Soph year, but first impressions leave the greatest mark.

HailSzczur
November 15th, 2012, 10:10 AM
Other than Robertson, or Norman White (not sure his status yet), the other injury to watch for the Cats this weekend is Adam Nelson. Long Snapper picked up a concussion and a broken hand down field covering a punt last weekend. I haven't really focused on too many of the other teams long snappers, but Nelson is really good. He's always the first one downfield on punts, and I can only think of 1 bad snap he's had all season (FG against Richmond. Halcovage couldn't get the ball down fast enough and Hamilton had to stutter step and botched the kick)

Mr. C
November 15th, 2012, 10:45 AM
Andy Talley was quite upset on Saturday by the loss of Adam Nelson.

Mr. C
November 15th, 2012, 10:49 AM
Other than the INT against Temple, which was about as bad as they come, Polony didn't do anything wrong this season. The way I read his benching in that game was somewhere along the lines of "well Temple's running all over us, why not give this a go, what do we have to lose" Then between the end of Temple and the beginning of Fordham Andy liked what he saw and decided to stick with it. It's not so much that Polony got bench, more that we decided to experiment a little. Robertson originally was supposed to get snaps as the Wildcat QB.

Also with Polony vs Robertson I think there might be a bit of comfort having a running QB, since thats what we've had for the last 4 or 5 years

People need to know that sometimes a player change isn't because of what one kid did wrong, but what the other did right. I still think VU has one of the top QB combos in all of FCS and I still think the Cats can win with Polony. Robertson is one of those kids who doesn't practice all that well, but turns it up to a different speed on game days. Once VU saw Robertson in an actual game situation, it changed their outlook on him. He also has some pretty significant leadership ability, like Chris Whitney did. Remember that Antwan Young was a pretty gifted QB behind Whitney and Polony, while not as athletically gifted as Young, is still a pretty good guy to have in reserve.

HailSzczur
November 15th, 2012, 11:07 AM
People need to know that sometimes a player change isn't because of what one kid did wrong, but what the other did right. I still think VU has one of the top QB combos in all of FCS and I still think the Cats can win with Polony. Robertson is one of those kids who doesn't practice all that well, but turns it up to a different speed on game days. Once VU saw Robertson in an actual game situation, it changed their outlook on him. He also has some pretty significant leadership ability, like Chris Whitney did. Remember that Antwan Young was a pretty gifted QB behind Whitney and Polony, while not as athletically gifted as Young, is still a pretty good guy to have in reserve.

Hit the nail right on the head Mr. C. with Whitney/Young I also remember how effective it was bring Antwan in every few series just to keep the defense on their toes. IT always amazed me how teams could catch on so slowly to backfield changes, whether it was Whitnety, Szczur, or Young under center, especially since Matt was puny and Chris was White. I really hope going forward we can try that out next year. I'd love to come out guns blazing with a downfield passing attack one drive after burning a team on the ground with Robertson/Monongai/Medly/Abdur-Rahman

VUCats02
November 15th, 2012, 10:11 PM
Will Delaware have a packed house for this game?

bluehenbillk
November 16th, 2012, 07:44 AM

nope

MR. CHICKEN
November 16th, 2012, 08:19 AM
17240.....HAVIN' UH HARD TIME...BELIEVIN'.....OWN-LAH FISTFUL...O' TIX LEFT....(177 AVAILABLE....JES' CAIN'T BE TRUE)...DAT NEWS...WOODAH...SURELEE....APPEARED IN TRESOLINI'S......COLUMN....DIS AM.....TV GAME......3:30 START...MEANS COLD...BAH 5:30.......UH DISMAL HEN 5-5 LEDGER....FAMILEES....PACKIN' UP...FO' GRANDMA'S HOUSE.......BLACK FRIDAY????.....HEY....EVERAH DAY...SINCE HALLOWEEN.....BEEN BLACK...WHIFF FLOOD UH X-MAS....AN' PROMISE O' MIDNITE SHOPPIN'.......WON'T COME CLOSE TA FILLIN' SEATS....ALL-DOUGH TICKETS PURCHASED...WILL INFLATE..DUH TOTAL ATTENDIN'......COODN'T GET UH BLUE/YELLOW OUT....EVEN WHIFF DUH PROMISE UH...FREE TURKEY FRANKS.........xsmhx....BRAWK/OBAMA/BIDEN/LEONJACKSON&WORRILOW!

ps....PROB-LEE...HAVE UH HARD TIME....GIVIN' AWAY DUH 2,000 FAN APPRECIATION TOKENS.....AWK!

bluehenbillk
November 16th, 2012, 08:21 AM
When you log-in to the TicketMaster site through the UD portal for STH there seems to be many more seats that just 177 left. The News Journal today reports Pierce will play tomorrow. How much? That's a different story....

HailSzczur
November 16th, 2012, 09:41 AM
17240.....HAVIN' UH HARD TIME...BELIEVIN'.....OWN-LAH FISTFUL...O' TIX LEFT....(177 AVAILABLE....JES' CAIN'T BE TRUE)...DAT NEWS...WOODAH...SURELEE....APPEARED IN TRESOLINI'S......COLUMN....DIS AM.....TV GAME......3:30 START...MEANS COLD...BAH 5:30.......UH DISMAL HEN 5-5 LEDGER....FAMILEES....PACKIN' UP...FO' GRANDMA'S HOUSE.......BLACK FRIDAY????.....HEY....EVERAH DAY...SINCE HALLOWEEN.....BEEN BLACK...WHIFF FLOOD UH X-MAS....AN' PROMISE O' MIDNITE SHOPPIN'.......WON'T COME CLOSE TA FILLIN' SEATS....ALL-DOUGH TICKETS PURCHASED...WILL INFLATE..DUH TOTAL ATTENDIN'......COODN'T GET UH BLUE/YELLOW OUT....EVEN WHIFF DUH PROMISE UH...FREE TURKEY FRANKS.........xsmhx....BRAWK/OBAMA/BIDEN/LEONJACKSON&WORRILOW!

ps....PROB-LEE...HAVE UH HARD TIME....GIVIN' AWAY DUH 2,000 FAN APPRECIATION TOKENS.....AWK!

Cold? I'm seeing 53 at kickoff and 42 by the time the games over at 7pm. That's tropical compared to some of the Nova/Delaware games I've sat through. I remember my first game, we brought a thermos of hot chocolate in, but didn't drink any of it because no one wanted to take their hands out of their gloves to pour it.

bluehenbillk
November 16th, 2012, 09:46 AM
Cold? I'm seeing 53 at kickoff and 42 by the time the games over at 7pm. That's tropical compared to some of the Nova/Delaware games I've sat through. I remember my first game, we brought a thermos of hot chocolate in, but didn't drink any of it because no one wanted to take their hands out of their gloves to pour it.

Wasn't at Delaware anytime lately...no thermoses allowed..just a heads up.

HailSzczur
November 16th, 2012, 10:26 AM
Wasn't at Delaware anytime lately...no thermoses allowed..just a heads up.

It was the '00 game I believe, things were a lot more lax back then. Not too worried though, I'm liking the forecast.

bluehenbillk
November 16th, 2012, 10:53 AM
They were allowed in back then, you're right.

HailSzczur
November 16th, 2012, 11:07 AM
Some Villanova stats to watch tomorrow:

If he plays, and if this is to be the last game of the season for the Cats, this is where WR Norman White will go down in the history books:
Receptions: 127 (T12th)
Yards: 1,676 (12th)

Rushing Stats/Records:
Kevin Monongai enters the game with 1044yds, good for 4th all time in a single season. He needs 2 yards to tie Brian Westbrook's '98 marks and 176 yards to tie Brian Westbrook's '00 mark.

John Robertson enters the game with 802 rushing yards. He has shattered Westbrook's freshman rushing record of 630. He is 185 yards back of Chris Whitney's QB rushing record, and I don't see him running the ball as much as usual this weekend.

MR. CHICKEN
November 16th, 2012, 11:23 AM

OURAH SENIOR CITIZEN....LADEN CROWD....WEARAH SWEATERS...IN SEPTEMBER....AN'....SEEMS ALOT CHILLIER.....WHEN HENS ARE...IN ARREARS........AWK!

bluehenbillk
November 16th, 2012, 01:41 PM

Look for announced crowd of 16,000-17,000 ballpark

HailSzczur
November 16th, 2012, 02:42 PM
I'm seeing a line of Nova by 6 tomorrow, sounds about right to me.

caribbeanhen
November 17th, 2012, 05:24 AM
I'm seeing a line of Nova by 6 tomorrow, sounds about right to me.

Nova pulls away late and covers, by the end of the game Nova fans outnumber Hen fans..... ugly end to an ugly season for Delaware

Mr. C
November 17th, 2012, 07:38 AM
OURAH SENIOR CITIZEN....LADEN CROWD....WEARAH SWEATERS...IN SEPTEMBER....AN'....SEEMS ALOT CHILLIER.....WHEN HENS ARE...IN ARREARS........AWK!

Love the comment on the senior citizens. In all my football travels, I've never seen an older fan base than Delaware's. I've never seen so many fans coming to games with their walkers.

Where will you be tailgating, Mr. Chicken? What's on the menu? Hope it's nothing something Fowl?

melloware13
November 17th, 2012, 07:40 AM

I should probably get some pads and a helmet.

HailSzczur
November 17th, 2012, 08:02 AM
I should probably get some pads and a helmet.

At least then we won't have to listen to you guys blaring in our ears during the 2nd half, I'm always tempted to stick a foot out as you scamper up and down the stairs. That song gets so annoying :p

HailSzczur
November 17th, 2012, 08:04 AM
Nova pulls away late and covers, by the end of the game Nova fans outnumber Hen fans..... ugly end to an ugly season for Delaware

Haha Nova fans out number somebody. I think we will have ourselves a close halftime score. Beyond that who knows what will happen

HailSzczur
November 17th, 2012, 09:13 AM
Shipping out for Newark now. Going to be a fun day. Hopefully we return to the Mainline with a W and maybe a CAA title. Towson and Richmond you better cooperate.

Signing off until at least an hour after the game. Good luck to both teams