PDA

View Full Version : SFA fires OC Dick Olin

TheRevSFA
November 12th, 2012, 09:00 AM
The reason I mention this is that the "local" media didn't break this story..the fansite (lumberjackfans.com) did.

Scoring points wasn't our problem. Our defense (controlled by Harper) was, so I wonder if this was the AD saying to Harper "This is your last chance".

The reason for the firing - He stopped by a school and picked up a transcript of a potential recruit. That put SFA over the allotment of coaches that can be out at one time.

The real reason? SFA won't finish over .500 this season.

BEAR
November 12th, 2012, 09:38 AM
Oh wow! I'm shocked. You are right...the offense wasn't the problem. Your defense wasn't bad from what I saw either. Any ideas on where he might land? Was he the one responsible for recruiting Moses and all those big time receivers? If so, firing him HAD to be because of that transcript thing..I can't imagine why else. Potent offense like that was just a little better defense away from making another run in the SLC.

TheRevSFA
November 12th, 2012, 09:45 AM
Oh wow! I'm shocked. You are right...the offense wasn't the problem. Your defense wasn't bad from what I saw either. Any ideas on where he might land? Was he the one responsible for recruiting Moses and all those big time receivers? If so, firing him HAD to be because of that transcript thing..I can't imagine why else. Potent offense like that was just a little better defense away from making another run in the SLC.

No. Olin came in this year after Nesbitt left for U of Houston. When we replace Olin we will have had four OC's in four years. It's ridiculous.

kingkat99
November 12th, 2012, 10:18 AM
I told you yesterday that Harper is the problem. Moses made him look good and I really think he doesnt like being the coach there. At the Touchdown Club of Houston luncheon before the BOTPW all he talked about was playing for Clemson and how he cant take any of his Orange clothing out of the closet. Coach Fritz and everyone else there spoke of their program and where they were headed etc.

Sly Fox
November 12th, 2012, 10:40 AM
Coach Olin is a terrific offensive mind and has proven it be re-writing the state high school record books for passing with his son Drew and others. But I wonder if this has as much to do with personality clashes as anything.

TheRevSFA
November 12th, 2012, 10:52 AM
I told you yesterday that Harper is the problem. Moses made him look good and I really think he doesnt like being the coach there. At the Touchdown Club of Houston luncheon before the BOTPW all he talked about was playing for Clemson and how he cant take any of his Orange clothing out of the closet. Coach Fritz and everyone else there spoke of their program and where they were headed etc.

Oh we agree with you. It's not the OC's, it's Harper. At the homecoming festivities on the night before we played Nicholls he came out and was like "I guarantee we beat Nicholls" That's not a guarantee game..that's a game we all accept as a win.

It's time for him to hit the road. Hell, let Moses OC. He knows how the offense needs to be ran. Right now he's the inside receivers coach.

GeauxLions94
November 12th, 2012, 11:49 AM
Firing Olin with one game remaining and that offense (though Attaway is no Jeremy Moses, Gralyn Crawford is gone and Cordell Roberson hasn't played in a couple of weeks) doesn't add up ... it has to be something off the field.

BEAR
November 12th, 2012, 11:55 AM
I want a Cordell Roberson autograph. Rarely do you get to see players like him on the field...and as the Rev knows..I collect. ;.)

McNeese75
November 12th, 2012, 12:16 PM
Oh we agree with you. It's not the OC's, it's Harper. At the homecoming festivities on the night before we played Nicholls he came out and was like "I guarantee we beat Nicholls" That's not a guarantee game..that's a game we all accept as a win.

It's time for him to hit the road. Hell, let Moses OC. He knows how the offense needs to be ran. Right now he's the inside receivers coach.

Just be DAMN sure you do not send Harper packing our direction LOL. I have never been a fan of his even when he was on the MSU coaching staff. Your OC and recruiting has lead to your success over the last half dozen years.

Big Dawg
November 12th, 2012, 01:12 PM
Looking at some of the offensive stats...tell him we need an OC in Tallahassee

walkercj
November 16th, 2012, 01:55 PM
Well, as everyone already knows, there is more to this story than JC Harper cares to admit and wanted Olin out of the picture. It may be true enough that Harper and Olin disagree on things, but Harper is a defensive coordinator and needed to worry about his defense instead of the offense. That's why he wanted an OC. Olin has been a head coach since he was 27 and Harper is a defensive coach who kept yanking Olin's quarterback out of the game when he threw an interception. Hello...you are going to have interceptions when you throw every single down. Yet Harper doesn't comprehend that receivers sometimes just don't catch the ball or they run the wrong route. Harper also reportedly treats his players like crap and lets his coaches come to practice in flip flops and skip walk-thrus, etc. Olin doesn’t play that way. So, he was looking for a way to get rid of Olin. He might take over his job! While Olin was there, the team quickly became the TOP passing team in the COUNTRY and 2nd in total offense. Harper liked all that but never blamed the defense for anything even though the offense scored tons of points. The defense was a weak link because plenty of points were scored by the offense. It's not like games were 7-0. Another example is that Harper was coach of special teams in the beginning and when they kept screwing up, he backed out of coaching them. Harper just thought that he could get rid of Olin with 2 games left and win them easily (because they would have had Olin been there the last game) and Harper would look a 'little' smarter.

When he left there (with 2 games left), SFA lost last week and Harper looked ridiculous. It was funny. They had fewer passing yards than EVER and against a team they should have easily beat. He rotated quarterbacks every time one of them through an interception which gave no consistency or stability to anything. It looked like a 3 ring circus during the whole game.

Olin at an interview took full blame and did the nice and professional thing to do which is more than I can say for JC Harper who fired him over the PHONE and not even face to face. Shows AGAIN his lack of professionalism. And whoever said that having 4 OCs in 4 years is ridiculous is correct. Sometime, someone has to see the common denominator --- and that is JC Harper. SFA needs to investigate his lack of leadership in this program and send him on his way. He reportedly always comments to coaches, players, parents, that he has all this money and doesn't need to coach--so let him go because he's no good at it anyway.

So, Olin at least can say he’s been there, done that and now can retire, as he needs to enjoy life and his family. I'm sure he knows full well the politics of the game as he has seen recently and in spite of that, anyone can see his coaching career has been a successful one. 