PDA

View Full Version : Tenn Tech WR Declares for NFL Draft?

smallcollegefbfan
November 11th, 2012, 10:39 AM
There are reports he has and if so this is going to be an interesting one. If not for so many off the field concerns he would be a top 50 selection and prove yet again that what you do against lesser competition doesn't matter. We all know the SEC is a great league and NFL teams are going to draft him more based on what he did there than what he did in the OVC. He's currently 6th in the OVC in receiving yards per game yet he will be drafted ahead of everyone ahead of him with only Goard having a shot to go as high. Goard should have about 1300 yards and 15 TDs but EKU has focused on the ground game more than giving it to their best player because of the style of offense they want to run. If he indeed has declared watch for NFL teams to gauge him more on what he did against top competition than reward or punish him for his play against what the scouts deem as lesser competition. If NFL teams box score scouted then Rogers would not even get drafted or would go behind 5 WRs in the OVC while he and Goard are by far the most talented in the league.

TTUEagles
November 11th, 2012, 02:06 PM
Da'Rick Rogers was "honored" Saturday as a Senior for he had told TTU that he plans on going to the NFL Draft. Honestly, I can't blame him. I cannot see any way how his "stock" will rise with another year in Cookeville. By all acounts (media, parents of a current player, a GA, etc.) he's been quiet on/off the field - minding his own business, so to speak, etc. He pretty much wants the ball every play, though, and that shows in his antics on the field, which is just my opinion.

He does stand out, among other players, though. What I mean is that you can definitely tell that he has the WR talent way above the average WR you see in FCS, even some of the good/great one's I have seen. He is legit. and I doubt he'll fall past the 2nd round. His numbers would be a lot higher if not for injuries to TTU's QB position and lack of a running game, where opponents doubled-teamed him nearly every play (as far as I could tell).

TTUEagles
November 11th, 2012, 02:09 PM
"Former UT receiver Da’Rick Rogers was honored at Tennessee Tech’s Senior Day after informing the school he would enter the NFL draft next April."

http://www.tennessean.com/viewart/20121110/SPORTS/311100089/Area-roundup-Fumble-saves-Tennessee-Tech?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Sports|s

Mr. C
November 11th, 2012, 02:43 PM
Not many FCS players are successful going out early. He would really be better off coming back. One year of physical maturity and playing 11 more games would help more than you think. Probably a bad move.

smallcollegefbfan
November 11th, 2012, 03:23 PM
I understand where both of you are coming from. I think he knew all along that he proved what he could do against the best level of competition and thus planned all along to leave. It was clear he had the talent and with the question at QB and lack of ground game that may have clinched his decision to declare. Because of the above mentioned circumstances I will be very interested to see if the coaches vote him 1st or 2nd team All-OVC. The OVC has a lot of very good WRs this year and I actually believe that all-conference caliber players are going to be snubbed at that position.

TTUEagles
November 11th, 2012, 06:08 PM
But, this is a guy who isn't a typical FBS --> FCS transfer. He was kicked off of the team at UT after being All-SEC. That's a pretty big deal, to be All-SEC. He's not transferring due to not getting along with a coach, lack of playing time, etc.
I think most reasonable people understand what the transfer was all about: to get a "reference" that he's cleaned up his act, more mature, etc., and get ready for the payday that is the NFL. (for those that don't know, D. Rogers played high school football with TECH's starting QB & RB. Their high school coach is the father of TECH's QB. Multiple persons 'vouched' for him and he sought out TTU to transfer). I don't think he transfered to boost his stock more than to prove to scouts that he has learned his lesson, blah, blah, blah. I personally think his skills are unquestioned and another year at an SEC school might help his physical maturity, etc., but at Tennessee Tech, I just can't imagine that he'll be able to prove much more.

smallcollegefbfan
November 11th, 2012, 07:37 PM
But, this is a guy who isn't a typical FBS --> FCS transfer. He was kicked off of the team at UT after being All-SEC. That's a pretty big deal, to be All-SEC. He's not transferring due to not getting along with a coach, lack of playing time, etc.
I think most reasonable people understand what the transfer was all about: to get a "reference" that he's cleaned up his act, more mature, etc., and get ready for the payday that is the NFL. (for those that don't know, D. Rogers played high school football with TECH's starting QB & RB. Their high school coach is the father of TECH's QB. Multiple persons 'vouched' for him and he sought out TTU to transfer). I don't think he transfered to boost his stock more than to prove to scouts that he has learned his lesson, blah, blah, blah. I personally think his skills are unquestioned and another year at an SEC school might help his physical maturity, etc., but at Tennessee Tech, I just can't imagine that he'll be able to prove much more.

Exactly. Crazy thing is that he and Goard are better than some WRs on the Payton list but their numbers aren't good enough to argue they belong on it. Both of them will be drafted and have a shot to be very good pros despite lesser numbers than many out there who won't be drafted nearly as high.

clenz
November 11th, 2012, 07:41 PM
Not many FCS players are successful going out early. He would really be better off coming back. One year of physical maturity and playing 11 more games would help more than you think. Probably a bad move.
He isn't an "FCS player going pro early"....he is a 1st team All SEC Conference player as a true sophomore last year, preseason FBS All American (Before getting the boot), likely would have been All SEC and All American this year at the FBS level...

This isn't Tiawann Jones leaving early....