PDA

View Full Version : Patriot League Pick 'em - The Final Week

carney2
November 11th, 2012, 09:37 AM
No more calls, we have a champion. Congrats to Biddle’s Raiders. I am maybe the first to admit that I did not think they could do it back in September. Speaking of “back in September,” this season did not play out as expected, did it?

Week 12, November 17, 2012:

LEHIGH @ LAFAYETTE
HOLY CROSS @ GEORGETOWN
COLGATE @ FORDHAM
Bryant @ BUCKNELL

GAME OF THE WEEK:

Lehigh @ Lafayette (Not an objective pick, so if you have other opinions, feel free.)

The Patriot League is 16-16 Year-to-Date vs. OOC:

0-1 in Week 11:
vs. Big East 0-1
vs. Big South 1-1
vs. CAA 1-3
vs. D-2 1-0
vs. Ivy 7-7
vs. MVC 0-1
vs. NEC 4-3
vs. PFL 2-0

It is now up to Bucknell whether the League ends up plus or minus vs. OOC.

STANDINGS:
(Patriot League W-L is listed first, followed by overall W-L)
(These are not the “official” standings because Fordham is included.)

Colgate** 5-0, 7-3
Lehigh 4-1, 9-1
Fordham* 3-2, 6-4
Georgetown 2-3, 5-5
Lafayette 2-3, 5-5
Holy Cross 1-4, 1-9
Bucknell 1-5, 2-8

*Ineligible for League championship and auto-bid.
**Patriot League champion and recipient of the League’s automatic bid to the FCS playoffs.

RichH2
November 11th, 2012, 10:01 AM
LU
Hoyas
Gate
BU.

No comments this week. Need a few more days to shake stink from yesterday.

jimbo65
November 11th, 2012, 11:16 AM
Mountain Hawks soar over Leopards

Hoyas over Crusaders, pick solely based on home team

Rams ram Raiders, well maybe not but they are my team.

Bison end on a winning note. I dont know what mascot Bryant uses

LEHIGH61
November 11th, 2012, 11:20 AM
Lehigh 42-14
Holy Cross 28-20
Colgate 45-24
Bryant 28-17

TheValleyRaider
November 12th, 2012, 02:34 PM
Perfect 4-0 on the weekend, up to 39-15 for the season. And a League title to boot :)

Lehigh at Lafayette Lehigh I've heard a few Lehigh commentators suggesting this might be Lafayette's year to break the streak. Certainly the Leopards have shown signs of a pulse throughout this season, but remain just unpredictable enough to make picking them a dicey proposition. Lehigh has been quite the opposite, steadily winning games even when they very well could have lost, the sign of an experienced and mentally tough team. They're going to need it this week in Easton against a Lafayette team looking to salvage something for this campaign into 2013. While Saturday may have been disappointing, Lehigh still has a potential playoff birth to play for, which may be just enough of an edge to carry them forward. Whether it will be enough or not remains to be seen (I'm not wading into those playoff prediction wars right now), but I say the Hawks do their part, and then begin the waiting game

Holy Cross at Georgetown Georgetown I went back and forth on this one. On the one hand, I tend to agree with the Holy Cross commentators that they've been the victim of some tough luck throughout the season, and the difference between 1-9 and .500 is not far away. That being said, constantly losing close games is not the sign of a good team, and their record may be tough luck but is hardly meaningless. The Hoyas, meanwhile, have maintained some momentum from 2011, and have their sights set on a second consecutive winning campaign. The Crusaders' tough luck may mean good things for 2013 (or at least less bad things), but right now Georgetown has the momentum (3 straight wins) and home field to end with the victory

Colgate at Fordham Colgate Still riding high after a tough, come-from-behind victory at Lehigh to win the title, the Raiders now set their sights on the postseason. In one sense, the game is meaningless. Colgate is not grabbing a seed, nor will this game have any bearing on their home/away status on Thanksgiving (I'm not exactly booking my hotel room for Hamilton, let's put it that way). The only real goal here, like any NFL team in Week 17 with nothing left to clinch, is to avoid serious injury. Fordham, though, is no unfamiliar opponent. What better way for Biddle and the Raiders to learn a little about Moorhead's Rams than in a virtually meaningless game? Colgate has won 8 of the last 9 against Fordham, and 4 straight in the Bronx. Only 1 of those was close (as was their one win in Hamilton), so I see the Raiders continuing their hot streak into the postseason

Bryant at Bucknell Bucknell It may seem strange to ask, but is Bucknell better this year? Year 2 of the Susan regime has seen a worse record, but a very competitive team that stays in games and otherwise isn't far from being better. Not League-title contender better, mind you, but it's a long way to top. As for Bryant, the Bulldogs are a game 4-6 on the season, having acquired those in a 6-game stretch to open the season, and now a 4-game run. Not really in the running for the NEC title themselves, an intriguing matchup to close out the year. Without much to really go off, I will take the homer approach, and say the Bison boost the PL to over .500 OOC for the regular season in Lewisburg

UAalum72
November 12th, 2012, 03:10 PM
It is now up to Bucknell whether the League ends up plus or minus vs. OOC.

Of course you'll still have one (or more) OOC games in the playoffs.

Bison end on a winning note. I dont know what mascot Bryant uses
Tupper the Bulldog

carney2
November 13th, 2012, 01:47 PM

This is the final week that statistics are being reported on this board, so, as advertised, it's all up to the Buffaloes.

carney2
November 13th, 2012, 02:05 PM
Not much interest this week. I'm still trying to drum up a little enthusiasm though.

LEHIGH @ LAFAYETTE - Not a homer pick. Lots of adversity in Leopardland this week. It's as if the gods are piling on; as if they're setting up a Patriot League Miracle on Ice. I have my problems with Frank Tavani, but he is consistent with his "We Are Family" approach. I'm betting that the "Family" circles the wagons and plays a heluva game. Would not in the least be surprised if sophomore QB Zach Zweizig is MVP and establishes himself as a legend of this rivalry.

HOLY CROSS @ GEORGETOWN - Going way out on a limb here because I have been decidedly underwhelmed all year by the Crossers. Just a hunch that they have it in them to put one more W on their record.

COLGATE @ FORDHAM - Impressed by both teams. The Rams however, have spent the entire year shooting themselves in the foot. No reason to believe that suddenly, after 10 games, they'll turn the gun on the other guy. The lack of discipline by the Rams is simply abominable. It's on Moorhead and he needs to make some big changes before he is shown through the same door as Masella.

Bryant @ BUCKNELL - Bryant went 0-6 before going 4-0. They're on a roll and beat an OK Monmouth team in their late season run. Bucknell continues to be...well...just be Bucknell. In the end not a surprise either way.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 13th, 2012, 02:11 PM
Not much interest this week. I'm still trying to drum up a little enthusiasm though.

LEHIGH @ LAFAYETTE - Not a homer pick. Lots of adversity in Leopardland this week. It's as if the gods are piling on; as if they're setting up a Patriot League Miracle on Ice. I have my problems with Frank Tavani, but he is consistent with his "We Are Family" approach. I'm betting that the "Family" circles the wagons and plays a heluva game. Would not in the least be surprised if sophomore QB Zach Zweizig is MVP and establishes himself as a legend of this rivalry.

HOLY CROSS @ GEORGETOWN - Going way out on a limb here because I have been decidedly underwhelmed all year by the Crossers. Just a hunch that they have it in them to put one more W on their record.

COLGATE @ FORDHAM - Impressed by both teams. The Rams however, have spent the entire year shooting themselves in the foot. No reason to believe that suddenly, after 10 games, they'll turn the gun on the other guy. The lack of discipline by the Rams is simply abominable. It's on Moorhead and he needs to make some big changes before he is shown through the same door as Masella.

Bryant @ BUCKNELL - Bryant went 0-6 before going 4-0. They're on a roll and beat an OK Monmouth team in their late season run. Bucknell continues to be...well...just be Bucknell. In the end not a surprise either way.

Carney, what's your record picking Georgetown this year?

carney2
November 13th, 2012, 02:30 PM

I don't keep track. My guess is that you think I've consistently picked against them (you would possibly be correct) and that I have usually been wrong (they're 5-5 so I can't have been that wrong).

DFW HOYA
November 13th, 2012, 03:05 PM

A quick search of the posts indicates he is 8-2 this season, missing on the loss vs. Yale and the win over Lafayette.

(And FWIW he picked GU to win in five of the games, and to lose in five.)

Fordhamanhattan
November 13th, 2012, 03:41 PM
Erstwhile Engineers over Leopards
The Hoya romps with the Cross
Bison over non Bear Bryant
Rams seniors lead them over the arrogant ones from Hamilton.

ngineer
November 13th, 2012, 04:18 PM

Tupper the Bulldog

As in 'ware'?

ngineer
November 13th, 2012, 04:24 PM
As Carney says, one cannot be objective about #148, so I won't try either. I sense some disarray for those Leotards with he combination of ZZ's tragedy and continuing disciplanary issues. Still, what better way to motive camradarie than with Lehigh in your sights? Still, I see us having a better, overall, team and go with the 'good guys' by a score of 38-24.

Holy Cross exorcises the demons with the help of their Jesuit brothers, 27-20

Colgat will continue to roll, although I will not be suprised if the Rams pull it out. Raiders, 45-31

Bucky the Bison takes Anita Bryant for a ride, 21-10.

TheValleyRaider
November 13th, 2012, 05:10 PM
Rams seniors lead them over the arrogant ones from Hamilton.

xeyebrowx

It's almost as if we didn't win the League this year...?

UAalum72
November 13th, 2012, 05:14 PM
As in 'ware'?

Yes. Earl S. Tupper, inventor of Tupperware, donated his estate to the college for its new Smithfield RI campus. The school was founded in 1863 by H B Bryant as a branch of Bryant & Stratton business schools (sold in 1916).

CFBfan
November 13th, 2012, 06:49 PM
xeyebrowx

It's almost as if we didn't win the League this year...?

talk about arrogant!!! skru the rams raider!! kick their butts and their lousy defense all over the bronx!! i hope you put up 70 on them!!!!

Fordham
November 13th, 2012, 09:24 PM
COLGATE @ FORDHAM - Impressed by both teams. The Rams however, have spent the entire year shooting themselves in the foot. No reason to believe that suddenly, after 10 games, they'll turn the gun on the other guy. The lack of discipline by the Rams is simply abominable. It's on Moorhead and he needs to make some big changes before he is shown through the same door as Massella

xeyebrowxxrotatehx

This is either a baiting post or carney picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue ...

carney2
November 14th, 2012, 07:30 AM
xeyebrowxxrotatehx

This is either a baiting post or carney picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue ...

No baiting. The Rams would be at least 8-2 if they played with some discipline.

Sader87
November 14th, 2012, 08:13 AM
Fordham winning wouldn't totally shock me (in a Romney losing the election type of way)....no one is really that much better than anyone else in the PL this year. The Red Raiders could be looking beyond FU now that they've sewn up the crown...HC lost to Bucknell in 2009 under similar circumstances.

Fordhamanhattan
November 14th, 2012, 09:12 AM
As a Fordham man, I have great respect for Colgate as an institute of higher learning and have two close friends, both Fordham Prepsters, one a Jesuit priest and canon lawyer, the other one of New York's leading architects who are Colgate graduates, but the hospitality Fordham fans have not received up in Hamilton has been downright rude on several occasions. Several years ago, Colgate swept their side of snow-covered grandstands but left their guests to sit in the powder and on more than one occasion, snoot-filled Colgate frat types jeered patronizing derisive comments at Fordham. If I felt we were inferior to the apple-knockers, I might have been really hurt. Strictly small time. Even if you look down on your guests, one should tolerate them when they are a guest at your home. I see the Maroon eleven upending the Colgate applecart, as the seniors go out in glory.

Sam
November 14th, 2012, 10:30 AM
Fordham winning wouldn't totally shock me (in a Romney losing the election type of way)....no one is really that much better than anyone else in the PL this year. The Red Raiders could be looking beyond FU now that they've sewn up the crown...HC lost to Bucknell in 2009 under similar circumstances.
Tough practices up in Hamilton and they are not looking past FU .

Engineer86
November 14th, 2012, 11:25 AM
Lehigh
Georgetown
Colgate
Bucknell

Fordham
November 14th, 2012, 01:19 PM
No baiting. The Rams would be at least 8-2 if they played with some discipline.

... and we would have been 10 - 0 if we had just scored more points than the opposition.

Moorhead coming off of a disastrous 1-10 season that was marked by a stunning lack of discipline has done an incredible job this year with pretty much the same cast Massella had to work with. Moorhead has a very long leash based upon everything he's done with the program on and off the field in the short time he's been there.

DFW HOYA
November 14th, 2012, 01:36 PM
Moorhead coming off of a disastrous 1-10 season that was marked by a stunning lack of discipline has done an incredible job this year with pretty much the same cast Massella had to work with.

How much of the bump was the upgrade to scholarship players in starting roles versus the two prior years when many were on the bench instead?

carney2
November 14th, 2012, 01:53 PM
... and we would have been 10 - 0 if we had just scored more points than the opposition.

There ya go. I had confidence that you'd get my point.

ColgateTD
November 14th, 2012, 04:49 PM
Fordham winning wouldn't totally shock me (in a Romney losing the election type of way)....no one is really that much better than anyone else in the PL this year. The Red Raiders could be looking beyond FU now that they've sewn up the crown

Hope this isn't the case. Where's the love for 'Gate? We won the title with very little gloating and were proud to have beaten such an august bunch of schools. That said...

Lafayette - there seems to be some animosity between Biddle and Coen, thus the pick is the Pards.xconfusedx
Holy Cross - agree with those who see an uprising by the Saders before the season ends xnodx
Bucknell - gotta stick with PL teams even tho' I know nothing about Bryant & Stratton :D
Colgate - could be a trap game for 'Gate but have to think Biddle will have the players focused on one game at a time. xcoolx

Lastly: a hearty "thank you" to Carney for all he has done to make the season interesting. He's a real stand-up guy!

JimboCBA72
November 15th, 2012, 10:31 AM
How much of the bump was the upgrade to scholarship players in starting roles versus the two prior years when many were on the bench instead?

Good question. Higgins got almost all the playing time at QB after the UCONN transfer went down with a knee in week 3. He's not scholly. Along O-line, our RG is scholly and has been starting the past two years and our LT is a soph scholly who stepped in when the starter went down, also in week 3. Remaining skill guys are all schollies and were starters under previous regime. Biggest adjustments were moving Koonce back to RB (Masella inexplicably had him at WR) and moving Talbert back to outside. Our best defender has been Martin and he is not scholly. IMHO, the improvement this year is all attributable to coaching. This staff is light years better than the staff Masella assembled.

Sader87
November 16th, 2012, 08:28 AM
Last week of the regular season (thank God if you're a HC fan), what a long strange trip it's been. Parity prevailed this year (in the Ivies too somewhat surprisingly) in this final campaign of total non-scholarship football. Congrats to the Red Raiders on the PL Championship. I for one, especially with the graduation of Nate Eachus, did not see that coming. Good luck in the playoffs.

Last week 3-1...overall 35-17.

Holy Cross 31 GTown 27 This nightmare of a season comes to a close on a positive note for the Crusaders...expect a very good game but somehow, someway HC deserves this win.

Bucknell 17 Bryant 13 Could well be the worst "final game" of the FCS slate....no offense to either program but these schools couldn't be more different, farther apart etc etc

Colgate 38 Fordham 31 Tempted to go with the Rams in a 'Gate slip-up but the Red Raiders O has been on a roll, hard to see the FU D slowing them up.

Lehigh 27 Lafayette 24 I see the Engineers trying to do too much to impress the committee early on but then rallying for a victory late.

Until next year....

Pard4Life
November 16th, 2012, 04:19 PM
2-2 last week.. limping to the end.

Lafayette 30, Lehigh 28... Pards are motivated and ready to play. The difference will be if Lafayette can contain Lehigh's rushing attempt. The Hawks have not run well this year, but Coen wants to establish the run against Lafayette's limping run defense. Keep an eye on the Lafayette DL/LBs against Barkett. Offensively, Lafayette has been moving the ball lately and will look to establish a run with an improving OL. If Lafayette has zero TOs and can control the clock, they will win. Colvin can be forced into mistakes, and this Lafayette secondary will pounce. I have a feeling 148 will be juicy good. If Lehigh is hanging around late and within striking distance, Pards may be in trouble.

Oh, there are other games?

Georgetown 28, Holy Cross 20... Hoyas are still motivated and have a chance for a winning PL record.

Colgate 48, Fordham 21... Rams beat themselves too often. And this is not the team you want to face with such a flaw.

Bucknell 20, Bryant 10... I can see BU not even wanting to play this game, but I'm all for PL pride here. Bryant DOES have four wins...

Sam
November 16th, 2012, 05:29 PM
Last week of the regular season (thank God if you're a HC fan), what a long strange trip it's been. Parity prevailed this year (in the Ivies too somewhat surprisingly) in this final campaign of total non-scholarship football. Congrats to the Red Raiders on the PL Championship. I for one, especially with the graduation of Nate Eachus, did not see that coming. Good luck in the playoffs.

Holy Cross 31 GTown 27 This nightmare of a season comes to a close on a positive note for the Crusaders...expect a very good game but somehow, someway HC deserves this win.

Bucknell 17 Bryant 13 Could well be the worst "final game" of the FCS slate....no offense to either program but these schools couldn't be more different, farther apart etc etc

Colgate 38 Fordham 31 Tempted to go with the Rams in a 'Gate slip-up but the Red Raiders O has been on a roll, hard to see the FU D slowing them up.

Lehigh 27 Lafayette 24 I see the Engineers trying to do too much to impress the committee early on but then rallying for a victory late.

Until next year....

Interesting from one year to the next? Colgate last year bottom of the PL and the turn around. I enjoy watching all of the teams and good luck this weekend.

Pard4Life
November 16th, 2012, 05:58 PM
Interesting from one year to the next? Colgate last year bottom of the PL and the turn around. I enjoy watching all of the teams and good luck this weekend.

That's because they have Dick Biddle.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 16th, 2012, 06:46 PM
Lehigh
Fordham
Bucknell
G'Town

PAllen
November 16th, 2012, 08:13 PM
Lehigh
Georgetown
Colgate
Bucknell

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 17th, 2012, 12:43 AM
Georgetown 24 Holy Cross 21

Bucknell 20 Bryant 16

Colgate 45 Fordham 38

Lehigh 30 Lafayette 23

Sader87
November 17th, 2012, 03:43 PM

Until next year....

Of course, like my alma mater, I have my best day on the last weekend of the year. 4-0; 39-17. Fun year (though very frustrating if you root for or wear purple), just about any league game could have gone one way or another. Good luck to Gate and hopefully Lehigh in the playoffs.

ColgateTD
November 17th, 2012, 04:09 PM
Congrats to HC on their big win at Georgetown. It was bound to happen.

A regular track meet in the Bronx. Have to tighten things up before the playoffs. Hope to see LU there as well.

Thanks again to Carney for the fun season. Too bad about the 148th.

41-15 on the season...not too bad.