View Full Version : Ivy League: The Final Week for 2012

bonarae
November 10th, 2012, 10:57 PM
Here it is again... and the race for the championship is still open... xbangx :o

The Game - Yale at Harvard
Columbia at Brown
Penn at Cornell
Dartmouth at Princeton

bulldog10jw
November 11th, 2012, 04:37 AM
Harvard - could be the most lopsided score in series history
Brown
Cornell - why not?
Dartmouth

Ivytalk
November 11th, 2012, 05:38 AM
Harvard - could be the most lopsided score in series history
Brown
Cornell - why not?
Dartmouth

I'll join you, bulldog! Except I think H-Y will be closer than last year.

bonarae
November 16th, 2012, 06:06 AM
Bumping this...

Ivytalk
November 16th, 2012, 06:21 AM
Harvard should change its team name from Crimson to Apathy. I predict less than a sellout or, if they announce a sellout, plenty of fans disguised as empty seats.

bulldog10jw
November 16th, 2012, 06:39 AM
Harvard should change its team name from Crimson to Apathy. I predict less than a sellout or, if they announce a sellout, plenty of fans disguised as empty seats.

I read that Yale returned some of their allotment of tickets. First time in years. I'm having a hard time working up any enthusiasm myself this year......that doesn't mean I won't watch, though. At least the 1st half.

Sader87
November 16th, 2012, 07:19 AM
Strange year for both the Ivy and Patriot Leagues....LOT of parity....who would have picked a quinela of Penn and Colgate to win their respective leagues in August?

bonarae
November 16th, 2012, 08:18 AM
Strange year for both the Ivy and Patriot Leagues....LOT of parity....who would have picked a quinela of Penn and Colgate to win their respective leagues in August?

My gosh. What an unpredictable year for both of us...

CHIP72
November 16th, 2012, 08:49 AM
How Harvard lost to Penn and Princeton considering how they've looked in their other games, I don't know.

Assuming Penn beats Cornell (which isn't a given), one thing that is for sure is this year's Quakers team couldn't hold a candle to the 2009 and 2010 Quakers teams. Those previous Penn teams, particularly the 2010 team, IMO could have made some noise in the I-AA playoffs had they had the opportunity to play. (I'll note I'd say the same thing about the I-AA playoffs with Harvard's 2011 team.)

CHIP72
November 16th, 2012, 08:51 AM

Both the Patriot League and Ivy League (especially the Patriot League) were down this season IMO because the top teams in each league weren't nearly as good as the top teams in past years.

Ivytalk
November 16th, 2012, 09:22 PM
How Harvard lost to Penn and Princeton considering how they've looked in their other games, I don't know.

They screwed the pooch at Princeton and were flatter than Alex Morgan at Penn.xsmhxxsmhxxbangxxbangx

Ivytalk
November 16th, 2012, 09:25 PM
I read that Yale returned some of their allotment of tickets. First time in years. I'm having a hard time working up any enthusiasm myself this year......that doesn't mean I won't watch, though. At least the 1st half.

A Yale victory would serve the Crimson right. I may wear Blue tomorrow.

bulldog10jw
November 17th, 2012, 09:36 AM
A Yale victory would serve the Crimson right. I may wear Blue tomorrow.

Harvard is favored by 30. Yale should be embarrassed to be viewed as that bad. What would the odds be if Harvard had beaten Princeton and Penn, 40?

The last time I remember Yale being this big an underdog was 1987 against Hawaii, who was favored by 49....and covered 62-10.

Sader87
November 17th, 2012, 09:48 AM
This year's The Game has all the elements for a Yale upset....I don't see it happening though, Yale is too down this year.

Ivytalk
November 17th, 2012, 10:21 AM
Harvard is favored by 30. Yale should be embarrassed to be viewed as that bad. What would the odds be if Harvard had beaten Princeton and Penn, 40?

The last time I remember Yale being this big an underdog was 1987 against Hawaii, who was favored by 49....and covered 62-10.
Take Yale and the points. You guys play us tougher in Cambridge anyway!

bulldog10jw
November 17th, 2012, 10:32 AM
This year's The Game has all the elements for a Yale upset....I don't see it happening though, Yale is too down this year.

This is true. Maybe if Yale had been healthy, they would have had a shot at the upset, but this is not the year. After outplaying Harvard in both 2009 and 2010 (in my opinion) and still losing, and then add in last years blowout, and there is an almost fatalistic view about the Harvard game in the Yale community. That may be why Yale didn't even sellout it's ticket allotment.

Ivytalk
November 17th, 2012, 03:08 PM
This is true. Maybe if Yale had been healthy, they would have had a shot at the upset, but this is not the year. After outplaying Harvard in both 2009 and 2010 (in my opinion) and still losing, and then add in last years blowout, and there is an almost fatalistic view about the Harvard game in the Yale community. That may be why Yale didn't even sellout it's ticket allotment.

Yale should be congratulated for a hard-fought effort. They were in the game until that late Scales TD. Reno will turn things around in New Haven. Good luck next year!xthumbsupx

bulldog10jw
November 17th, 2012, 03:28 PM
Yale should be congratulated for a hard-fought effort. They were in the game until that late Scales TD. Reno will turn things around in New Haven. Good luck next year!xthumbsupx

Congrats, IT.

Disappointing, but not as bad as 2009 and 2010 (and 2005 for that matter) when, in my mind, Yale could have easily won.

Today, Harvard was obviously better and could have made it much easier on themselves. The bright spot for Yale is Varga, who is the real deal, and will be back for two more seasons, plus Smith and Randall, both big play guys, should be back, although Randall was injured so we won't know how effective he will be. The offense could be very good.

The defense, who knows.

bonarae
November 17th, 2012, 04:29 PM
All final scores:

Harvard 34, Yale 27 - very very close game
Brown 22, Columbia 6
Penn 35, Cornell 28
Dartmouth 35, Princeton 21

Congratulations to Penn, 2012 Ivy League champions.

bulldog10jw
November 17th, 2012, 04:54 PM

YUUUUUUCH!!!! xthumbsdownx

Ivytalk
November 17th, 2012, 05:07 PM
All final scores:

Harvard 34, Yale 24 - very very close game
Brown 22, Columbia 6
Penn 35, Cornell 28
Dartmouth 35, Princeton 21

FIFY the H-Y score.

And drop dead Penn State. What good is an Ivy title if you're not in the Ivy League?xthumbsdownxxmadxxpissedx

Go Green
November 19th, 2012, 02:18 PM
I'm a little late here, but I have to give a shout out to Dartmouth's win over Princeton, thus keeping the Sawhorse Dollar and Governor's Cup in Hanover for yet another year!! :D

Dartmouth was picked to finish sixth in the Ivy and ended up tied for third. We were in every game this year--something that hasn't been said in a while. Lost some close ones. But we've got a lot of guys returning on the two-deep, and some exciting young players--including freshman Dalyn Williams (who was called the "RGIII of our league" by Princeton's coach). Very much looking forward to 2013 to bring the Ivy trophy back to Dartmouth where it belongs!! xnodx

Ivytalk
November 19th, 2012, 03:19 PM
I'm a little late here, but I have to give a shout out to Dartmouth's win over Princeton, thus keeping the Sawhorse Dollar and Governor's Cup in Hanover for yet another year!! :D

Dartmouth was picked to finish sixth in the Ivy and ended up tied for third. We were in every game this year--something that hasn't been said in a while. Lost some close ones. But we've got a lot of guys returning on the two-deep, and some exciting young players--including freshman Dalyn Williams (who was called the "RGIII of our league" by Princeton's coach). Very much looking forward to 2013 to bring the Ivy trophy back to Dartmouth where it belongs!! xnodx

Better Hanover than Philadelphia.xcoolx

Harvard has a lot of open issues next year, including the QB position.

bulldog10jw
November 19th, 2012, 04:38 PM
I'm looking forward to next year for a couple of reasons.

One, Yale should be much improved.....I know, I know, it couldn't get much worse. But we did improve week to week. Couldn't quite put two good halves together, except for Penn. If we can cut down on the turnovers and stupid penalties, we will be competitive.

Two, I will be able to see Yale in person next year at Cal Poly. I'm already making plans with my buddy who lives in California. Hopefully, Yale will be able to make a game of it, we will see.

Tough OOC schedule for Yale, next year. At Colgate, At Cal Poly, and Fordham at the Bowl. Plus, they play Dartmouth in Hanover the week after the Cal Poly game, so they will have to travel cross country, then go up to Hanover the following week.

Ivytalk
November 19th, 2012, 07:12 PM
Harvard's 2013 OOC includes San Diego and Holy Cross on the road and Lafayette at home. We have 12 straight years of 7 or more wins. Next year could be a test.

Laker
November 19th, 2012, 08:31 PM
I watched some of the Harvard-Yale game. Pretty interesting. Some great plays by both teams. This is why you never know how things will go in a rivalry game.

Is the Ivy League going to join the playoffs before I die? I sure hope so.

Ivytalk
November 20th, 2012, 09:18 AM
Is the Ivy League going to join the playoffs before I die? I sure hope so.

Depends on how old you are, Laker!:p I'm old enough to get mailings from AARP, and I'm not betting that the Ivies join the FCS playoffs anytime soon.xbangx

Laker
November 20th, 2012, 09:31 AM
Depends on how old you are, Laker!:p I'm old enough to get mailings from AARP, and I'm not betting that the Ivies join the FCS playoffs anytime soon.xbangx

58! When I turned 50 I stopped for the night in Bozeman. After checking in I noticed their sign that had a discount for AARP members. When I asked the clerk about it, she told me not to worry- that they had already given me the discount because of my age. At the University of Mary I got in as a senior at the age of 55. It varies so much from place to place.

I got super interested in college football back in 1967, which ironically is the last time that the Gophers tied for the Big Ten title. At the time I had no idea that Northwestern would be a power compared to Minnesota. xoopsx

bulldog10jw
November 20th, 2012, 09:53 AM
I got super interested in college football back in 1967, which ironically is the last time that the Gophers tied for the Big Ten title. At the time I had no idea that Northwestern would be a power compared to Minnesota. xoopsx

1967. A great year for Yale football. 8-1 record. Outright Ivy title. 68,000+ at the Bowl for a 24-20 win over Harvard. Feature story in SI the week after the game on Brian Dowling and Yale's win. Wonderful year. :D

Laker
November 20th, 2012, 10:20 AM
1967. A great year for Yale football. 8-1 record. Outright Ivy title. 68,000+ at the Bowl for a 24-20 win over Harvard. Feature story in SI the week after the game on Brian Dowling and Yale's win. Wonderful year. :D

BD. Such a great player that Doonsbury made him the star of his comic strip. And drafted by the Vikings!

Ivytalk
November 20th, 2012, 02:04 PM

Blah blah blah Brian Dowling blah blah more Brian Dowling blah do you remember Brian Dowling? You old Yalies are all alike!:D

bulldog10jw
November 20th, 2012, 02:13 PM
Blah blah blah Brian Dowling blah blah more Brian Dowling blah do you remember Brian Dowling? You old Yalies are all alike!:D

In my defense, the way the last dozen years have gone, distant memories are much more pleasant than recent ones. ;)

Laker
November 20th, 2012, 02:40 PM
In my defense, the way the last dozen years have gone, distant memories are much more pleasant than recent ones. ;)

I noticed that at my forty year reunion this summer. My memories had most of the gals looking way better back then than they do now- except for one- the guys all commented on her!

Ivytalk
November 20th, 2012, 06:47 PM

Yale will rise again. 2013 is the year they break the Bowl Hex against us. We may be about to settle back into our late 80s-early 90s squalor.

Go Green
November 20th, 2012, 09:47 PM

Is remebering BD any worse than remebering Tommy Lee Jones?

And he should get his second Oscar in a few months...

Ivytalk
November 21st, 2012, 05:53 AM
Is remebering BD any worse than remebering Tommy Lee Jones?

And he should get his second Oscar in a few months...

I don't ever mention Jones when talking about Harvard football. Not Ted Kennedy either, for that matter!