PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Southern Conference Power Rankings/Predictions - Week 12.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
November 10th, 2012, 10:49 PM
I was 5-0 today (first time in quite some time).

1) Appalachian State (AUTOBID) - win vs. Furman solidifies SoCon title and automatic bid to the playoffs
2) Georgia Southern (IN) - Eagles stomped Howard senseless
3) Wofford (IN) - win vs. Chattanooga punches their ticket
4) Samford (1 of 1) - kept their playoffs hopes alive with their win vs. Elon
5) The Citadel (1 of 1) - fights off another spirited effort vs VMI
6) Chattanooga (out) - loss vs. Wofford eliminates them from the SoCon title hunt
7) Furman (out) - loses in a heartbreaker vs. ASU
8) Elon (out) - effort was good vs. Samford
9) Western Carolina (out) - I pity these guys since we all know who they face next.

Predictions
Western Carolina @ Alabama (Beatdown of the week) - The Tide rolls in this one
Wofford @ South Carolina (More respectable game of the week #1) - Terriers make things interesting for the Gamecocks
Georgia Southern @ Georgia (More respectable game of the week #2) - Eagles return to Athens to see how well they measure up
The Citadel @ Furman - Bulldogs win to become playoff eligible
Elon @ Chattanooga - Mocs win this one to cap a winning season
Samford @ Kentucky - Samford gets a win vs. a team from the SEC to become playoff eligible

Three-way tie for the top, Samford beat Wofford and lost to Appalachian State and Georgia Southern, thereby eliminating Wofford for autobid. Since ASU beat GSU last week, ASU gets the autobid. The SoCon still has a chance to have five playoff eligible teams should Samford and The Citadel win this week.

ASU_Fanatic
November 10th, 2012, 10:54 PM
Give me WCU over Alabama

chattanoogamocs
November 10th, 2012, 11:39 PM
If Chattanooga takes care of Elon at home on Saturday, they will undoubtedly be crowned "best of the rest" after GSU, ASU, and Wofford.

Last year they lost to GSU and Wofford by 1 point in regulation...this time they lost to both in OT. With only 7 seniors on the team, hopefully next season will be "the year" to break through on the 28 year playoff drought.

I will say this, each season they have taken a baby step forward...next season they will have no excuses with a tough as nails defense and a more seasoned offense.

One big kudo to pass along to the UTC administration...the UTC band traveled to all 4 SoCon road games this year...a pretty rare thing in FCS football.

cbarrier90
November 10th, 2012, 11:46 PM
Three-way tie for the top, Samford beat Wofford and lost to Appalachian State and Georgia Southern, thereby eliminating Wofford for autobid. Since ASU beat GSU last week, ASU gets the autobid. The SoCon still has a chance to have five playoff eligible teams should Samford and The Citadel win this week.

I don't think it's that simple. ASU has to hope for a Citadel loss to get the autobid.

cbarrier90
November 10th, 2012, 11:48 PM
I will say this, each season they have taken a baby step forward...next season they will have no excuses with a tough as nails defense and a more seasoned offense.

At what point will Huesman start being held accountable for failing to win important, close games. Has been an issue ever since he arrived. How many times have we heard "Wait til next year!" from Chattanooga?

chattanoogamocs
November 10th, 2012, 11:59 PM
At what point will Huesman start being held accountable for failing to win important, close games. Has been an issue ever since he arrived. How many times have we heard "Wait til next year!" from Chattanooga?

How soon people forget what a turd of a program Huesman inherited...1-10 before he showed up. If not for BJ Coleman coming along, they would have been lucky to win 2-4 games his first two years. They only got back all their scholarships last year...and thus, they only have a team with 7 seniors.

Most people not named Chattownmocs expected a long slow recovery. But like I said, there are no excuses next year. The team will have depth and experience and a big senior class (all Huesman recruits)

Honestly, the only real problem this season has been special teams. I can't say anything bad about the defense and the offense has been pretty decent considering QB, WR and RB are almost all FR and SO's.

I respect what Huesman has done...which is to COMPLETELY change the culture of the football program at Chattanooga...from punch of problem children, juco's, big school transfers and terrible students...to a bunch of 4-year high school kids that actually graduate and rarely get into any trouble.

And BTW...I give full credit to ASU, GSU and Wofford...smart football fans know it is extremely tough to try and unseat a really good program. UTC has climbed quite away up the mountain, but the steepest part is right at the top...right were GSU, ASU and Wofford have been perched for quite a while.

cbarrier90
November 11th, 2012, 12:26 AM
I respect what Huesman has done...which is to COMPLETELY change the culture of the football program at Chattanooga...from punch of problem children, juco's, big school transfers and terrible students...to a bunch of 4-year high school kids that actually graduate and rarely get into any trouble.

And BTW...I give full credit to ASU, GSU and Wofford...smart football fans know it is extremely tough to try and unseat a really good program. UTC has climbed quite away up the mountain, but the steepest part is right at the top...right were GSU, ASU and Wofford have been perched for quite a while.

I know the old adage is that you don't know what you've got til its gone, but eventually the expectations should be at a point where Huesman and staff should be held accountable for not competing for championships. Just because Huesman is the one that helps the program rise doesn't mean he's the one that can take the Mocs where they ultimately want to go.

T-Dog
November 11th, 2012, 01:05 AM
Samford is going to have the tiebreaker over El Cit no matter what happens in the final week so ASU does get the autobid. Wofford would be eliminated from the tie-breaker and then it reverts back ot head-to-head between ASU ans GSU.

MorgantonAPPAlum
November 11th, 2012, 06:31 AM
Anybody care to guess at an over/under for what the Tide scores against WCU? I'm saying 80.

utcfan
November 11th, 2012, 07:23 AM
1) ASU
2) GSU
3) Wofford
4) UTC
5) Samford
6) Citadel
7) Furman
8) Elon
9) WCU

eaglewraith
November 11th, 2012, 07:32 AM
Samford is going to have the tiebreaker over El Cit no matter what happens in the final week so ASU does get the autobid. Wofford would be eliminated from the tie-breaker and then it reverts back ot head-to-head between ASU ans GSU.

They really should clarify the language in the tie-breaker rules because nowhere in there does it say that once a team is eliminated from the tiebreaker, it goes to head to head. Not saying it doesn't, it just needs to be a bit more clear because someone can interpret the tie breaker rules differently than others.

Edge316007
November 11th, 2012, 07:45 AM
It's common sense. That's how it works in every sport. Once there are no longer 3 teams trying to break a tie, why would you still use the 3 team tiebreakers?

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 11th, 2012, 07:57 AM
1. GSU - sorry Apps, we are still the best team overall regardless of what the goofy tiebreaker says
2t. App
2t. Wofford
4. Chatt
5. Samford
6. El Cid
7. Furman
8. Elon
9. Western

UGA 42 GSU 24 assuming Swope is healthy and able to play
South Carolina 41 Wofford 20 assuming Robert Kass is back
Kentucky 31 Samford 27 (though I will be pulling for Sammy)
UTC 27 Elon 10
The Citadel 34 Furman 31
Alabama 58 Western 3 Parental Advisory for gratuitous violence on this one

Edge316007
November 11th, 2012, 08:00 AM
What about what a tiebreaker and the scoreboard says? Sounds like a consensus to me.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 11th, 2012, 08:10 AM
What about what a tiebreaker and the scoreboard says? Sounds like a consensus to me.

The scoreboard also says Wofford 38 App 28
And it says GSU beat Samford (which is the team deciding the tie breaker) more handily than App or Wofford.
We did as good or better against every common opponent other than Chatty.

Oh, and there's also the national rankings. xthumbsupx

kdinva
November 11th, 2012, 08:11 AM
Predictions
Western Carolina 6 @ Alabama 64
Wofford 20 @ South Carolina 42
Georgia Southern 23 @ Georgia 38
The Citadel 23 @ Furman 21
Elon 14 @ Chattanooga 28
Samford 27 @ Kentucky 25

Edge316007
November 11th, 2012, 08:17 AM
So you're willing to ignore the head to head and SoCon tiebreakers in favor of how they fared against teams like Chattanooga? That's kind of reaching.

Also, for better or worse, I expect App to be ranked slightly higher when GSU loses to Georgia and factoring in our auto bid.

atlfcsfan
November 11th, 2012, 08:29 AM
1a. App State - survived Furman, wins autobid, gets well deserved week off
1b. Ga Southern - took their frustration out on the Bison
3. Wofford - survived Chattanooga, now must play waiting game for playoffs
4. Chattanooga - bad luck ot losses to GSU and Wofford, plus 4th qtr meltdown vs app
5. Samford - pretty good year, almost there.
6. Citadel - best season in years
7. Furman - almost got one at the Rock
8. Elon - bad season continues
9. W Carolina - great week for the Cats, they didnt lose

GSU 17 Georgia 38 - Eagles stay close for a half
W Car 0 Alabama 63 - Gets ugly very early
Wofford 7 S Carolina 40 - A good showing would improve Woffies at large chances
Citadel 17 Furman 21 - Furman finally gets a close one
Chatty 35 Elon 20 - Chatty building for next season
Samford 20 Kentucky 24 - Wildcats send Joker out with a W

mountaineer in Cane Land
November 11th, 2012, 08:34 AM
Feel bad for Western, with Alabama losing last night, they are going to take out their frustrations out on Western and try and hang 100 on them, it wouldn't surprise me to see the starters play the entire game.

longtimemocfan
November 11th, 2012, 08:45 AM
I know the old adage is that you don't know what you've got til its gone, but eventually the expectations should be at a point where Huesman and staff should be held accountable for not competing for championships. Just because Huesman is the one that helps the program rise doesn't mean he's the one that can take the Mocs where they ultimately want to go.

I can understand what your saying, after the loss yesterday I was ready to scream, when oh when are we Finally going win one of these big games. I think he can be held accountable for the continued failure of special teams. I have to agree with C-Mocs on next year. It should be the one Huesman finally breaks through. If we are talking 6-5 next year then their definitely is a problem.

CID1990
November 11th, 2012, 08:53 AM
If the defense that showed up at VMI shows up against Furple, the F.U.C.K.s will roll.

7-4 would be nice for momentum into next year, as I expect us to be much improved (particularly on D) and in the hunt for the title.

We just need our defense to dig in for one more game, and then heal up for next year. Offense returns just about everybody.

longtimemocfan
November 11th, 2012, 08:55 AM
Feel bad for Western, with Alabama losing last night, they are going to take out their frustrations out on Western and try and hang 100 on them, it wouldn't surprise me to see the starters play the entire game.

It didn't stop Saban from scoring a late touchdown against GSU last year to pad the score. I'm sure it was done to help Bama's BCS resume.

1-App State
2-Ga. Southern
3-Wofford
4-Tie Chattanooga,Samford
6-Citadel
7-Furman
8-Elon
9-Western Car.

walliver
November 11th, 2012, 10:30 AM
1) GSU - They may not get the auto bid, but I think they are the better team.
2) ASU - They got the job done.
3) Wofford - The offense has been anemic, but defense has stepped up

4) Samford - A win against Kentucky and they are playoff eligible, but the SoCon isn't getting 4 or 5 bids this year.
5) Chattanooga - The Mocs are currently where Wofford was in the late 90's/early 00's. Beating everybody except the teams that matter.
6) The Citadel - 4-6 are reasonably well-matched. Could be playoff eligible, but in same boat as Samford

7) Furman - There's always next year
8) Elon - There's always next year
9) WCU - Next year has to be better. But I wouldn't give up hope. Lou Holtz went 0-11 his first year at South Carolina.

Playoffs:
1) ASU - autobid. First round bye.
2) GSU - about as sure a bet as possible. First round bye.
3) Wofford - a SoCon champion excluded to make room for a Big South or Patriot team would be a travesty, but this is the 10th anniversary of the "wooffed" team. Probably a first round game vs. MEAC champ.
4) Citadel - wins over GSU and ASU help, but I doubt SoCon gets 4 bids
5) Samford - Needs to beat Kentucky. Kentucky is a bad bad team, but a bad bad SEC team. This will be a tall order, and even then, it will take a lot of help on rivalry weekend, to get a 4th SoCon bid.

This weeks games:
ASU - ASU fans are shocked when no-one shows up to watch their low scoring victory over Open Date
GSU at UGA - Dawgs play two option teams in 2 weeks (GT next week). They will therefore spend more time practicing against the option than usual. UGA wins 35-17
Wofford at South Carolina - Terriers will need to get the option running to burn clock and keep it close. I never pick against my team so I'll say Wofford 22-21 (but USC 42-20 is more likely).
Samford at Kentucky - Kentucky is a bad bad, really bad team, but they are an SEC team. Sammy keeps is close and has a chance at the end, but UK gets their only win of the season 21-19
Elon at Chatty - Chattanooga seniors would like to go out win a home win. Elon doesn't have as much to play for. Mocs 38-17.
The Citadel at Furman - Big rivalry game. Dogs could become "play-off eligible", but have little realistic chance of a bid. They have their first chance to beat all of the former Big 3 since 2003. This is Furman's last chance to win a big game this year. Somehow the home teams scrapes out a few more points, FU-27-24.

Hopefully, massive thunderstorms and a tornado warning in Tuscaloosa lead to cancellation of the Alabama-WCU game. Otherwise the Tide Rolls, and could possibly run up the score to try to impress their way back into BCS contention. Alabama 72-7

GSU EAGLES
November 11th, 2012, 11:11 AM
It didn't stop Saban from scoring a late touchdown against GSU last year to pad the score. I'm sure it was done to help Bama's BCS resume.

1-App State
2-Ga. Southern
3-Wofford
4-Tie Chattanooga,Samford
6-Citadel
7-Furman
8-Elon
9-Western Car.

No doubt about it. 38-21 doesn't sound nearly as good as 45-21 so Bama had the starters in on the last drive and threw for a TD with 45 seconds left.

catamount man
November 11th, 2012, 12:12 PM
Bama 70 WCU 10
SC 31 WOF 10
UK 34 SAMFORD 17
UGA 42 GA SO 17
UTC 30 ELON 21
CIT 34 FURMAN 24

Eaglesrus
November 11th, 2012, 12:22 PM
Bama 70 WCU 10
SC 31 WOF 10
UK 34 SAMFORD 17
UGA 42 GA SO 17
UTC 30 ELON 21
CIT 34 FURMAN 24

That can't be right, we can't kick field goals.

ElCid
November 11th, 2012, 01:21 PM
1 - Georgia Southern - Eagles roll but D not so good this week (Howard got 447 yards?!)
2 - Appalachian State - May have got auto-bid, but really can't be this sloppy in playoffs; their sloppy play gets them#2
3 - Wofford - Stuck it out and got the W in OT, but weaknesses showing (only 249 yards in offense?!)
4 - Chattanooga - May be out of playoff contention, but looking real good, especially on D
5 - Samford - solid team all year
6 - The Citadel - seems like they just gave up against VMI, sloppiest game of year, against a rival no less; only bright spot was passing game; may have been looking ahead
7 - Furman - got a couple breaks, but could not pull off upset, fairly sloppy team as well
8 - Elon - just not there, can't be a one man show and expect to win
9 - Western Carolina - Let's see how they face biggest challenge of season

Predictions - 46-11 on the year; 7 of those bad picks were by my Bulldogs and Furman

Western Carolina @ Alabama - A blowout for sure, but not a shutout - 59-7
Wofford @ South Carolina - Not nearly as close as Terrier fans would like - 45-10
Georgia Southern @ Georgia - Not as close as Eagle fans think it will be - 48-20
Samford @ Kentucky - Kentucky has a bad record (1-9) but they have played 6 ranked teams! Samford gets kicked - 38-10
The Citadel @ Furman - Bulldogs need win to be eligible, but they will not get AL either way. In any event, Bulldogs lose on the road to hungry Furman team - 24-20:(
Elon @ Chattanooga - Mocs need it for winning season, easily done 34-13

Playoffs
App St. - In AB
Ga So - In AL
Wofford - Probably in AL, but not guaranteed
Samford - Nope, unless they pull out an unlikely win against the SEC, then they take Wofford's spot
The Citadel - Nope, even with win

asumike83
November 11th, 2012, 01:49 PM
1) Appalachian State
2) Georgia Southern
3) Wofford
4) Samford
5) Chattanogga
6) The Citadel
7) Furman
8) Elon
9) Western Carolina

After winning 7 of their last 8 including on the road at GSU and securing the auto-bid, I have moved ASU into my top spot for for the first time this season. In my opinion, they have earned it.

Western Carolina 7 @ Alabama 52: As ugly as the Tide want to make it.
Wofford 17 @ South Carolina 38: Could be close for a half but SC should win comfortably.
Georgia Southern 13 @ Georgia 42: The Dawgs will be giving the TO their full attention with Tech coming up. Way too much athleticism on their D-Line.
The Citadel 24 @ Furman 27: I think Furman ends the year on a high note, builds for next season.
Elon 14 @ Chattanooga 28: UTC finishes strong. This should be the last year that 6-5 is an acceptable finish.
Samford 28 @ Kentucky 24: Probably more hopeful than realistic but I do think Samford keeps it close.

ASUMountaineer
November 12th, 2012, 10:36 AM
They really should clarify the language in the tie-breaker rules because nowhere in there does it say that once a team is eliminated from the tiebreaker, it goes to head to head. Not saying it doesn't, it just needs to be a bit more clear because someone can interpret the tie breaker rules differently than others.

The language really should be clarified, but it's not all that surprising given the source. With that said, if Samford finishes fourth, doesn't ASU win every tiebreaker in that scenario whether it goes to head-to-head or not? I'm not sure, but I thought that's how it would end up. Anyone know?

ASUMountaineer
November 12th, 2012, 10:37 AM
1. GSU - sorry Apps, we are still the best team overall regardless of what the goofy tiebreaker or head-to-head in Statesboro says
2t. App
2t. Wofford
4. Chatt
5. Samford
6. El Cid
7. Furman
8. Elon
9. Western

UGA 42 GSU 24 assuming Swope is healthy and able to play
South Carolina 41 Wofford 20 assuming Robert Kass is back
Kentucky 31 Samford 27 (though I will be pulling for Sammy)
UTC 27 Elon 10
The Citadel 34 Furman 31
Alabama 58 Western 3 Parental Advisory for gratuitous violence on this one

FIFY

:D

asucrutch23
November 12th, 2012, 10:41 AM
The language really should be clarified, but it's not all that surprising given the source. With that said, if Samford finishes fourth, doesn't ASU win every tiebreaker in that scenario whether it goes to head-to-head or not? I'm not sure, but I thought that's how it would end up. Anyone know?

We're trying to figure that out here (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?123385-Explaining-the-SoCon-Autobid-(not-decided-yet)).

We have 5 or 6 different interpretations. Care to add another? xlolx

SpeedkingATL
November 12th, 2012, 10:54 AM
1a) Appalachian State
1b) Georgia Southern-App and GaSo with pretty even resumes and both could make a run in the playoffs.
3) Wofford-Won big game against Chatty to get playoff qualified.
4) Samford-Quietly putting together a great season. A win over SEC Kentucky could make NCAA selections even more difficult.
5) Chattanooga-Most underachieving team in SoCon and maybe the country.
6) The Citadel-Putting together a nice season and building for the future.
7) Furman-Rebuilding year with Frosh QB.
8) Elon-Great QB and WR and little else.
9) Western Carolina-More competitive than recent years but still long road ahead.

Western Carolina 0 @ Alabama 82: Ugly, uglier, ugliest.
Wofford 17 @ South Carolina 34: Would love to see Spurrier throw his visor a few times.
Georgia Southern 14 @ Georgia 38: Eagles getting the Dawgs at the wrong time. Dawgs playing their best football in a long time now and still have something to play for in the BCS.
The Citadel 27 @ Furman 28: Furple finally steps up and wins a close one.
Elon 17 @ Chattanooga 31: Tull chases Wilson around all day and UTC finishes with a winning record.
Samford 21 @ Kentucky 20: What the heck, Kentucky is horrible and goes thru the motions. Sammy takes advantage and boosts their playoff possibilities with a big SEC takedown.

ASUMountaineer
November 12th, 2012, 12:12 PM
We're trying to figure that out here (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?123385-Explaining-the-SoCon-Autobid-(not-decided-yet)).

We have 5 or 6 different interpretations. Care to add another? xlolx

xlolx Absolutely not. I'll wait for the commissioner to make up whatever interpretation he prefers.

walliver
November 12th, 2012, 12:31 PM
xlolx Absolutely not. I'll wait for the commissioner to make up whatever interpretation he prefers.

Since the small privates run the conference, I guess we're in :)

Unless he has bribed Davidson to stay in the SoCon by giving them the auto bid.

Blue Eagle
November 12th, 2012, 01:29 PM
[QUOTE=

Three-way tie for the top, Samford beat Wofford and lost to Appalachian State and Georgia Southern, thereby eliminating Wofford for autobid. Since ASU beat GSU last week, ASU gets the autobid. The SoCon still has a chance to have five playoff eligible teams should Samford and The Citadel win this week.[/QUOTE]

Just for the Record: App St gets the auto bid through some cockeyed rule.

But Ga. Southern beat Wofford who beat ASU who beat Ga. Southern!!

Who is more deservving of the SoCon title?

A team that trail the Citadel 45 to 7 with about 10 mins left in th 3rd quarter!!

A team that beat App State in Boone!!

Or a team who would be # 1 in FCS if their placekicker could have made a field goal
in the 2 games they lost!! Oh btw if the officials hadn't given a certain team the
win like they did last year this team would have won the SoCon outright!!

Just something to talk about!!

mountaineer in Cane Land
November 12th, 2012, 01:43 PM
man, you GS fans just cant let it go, we beat you on your home field, just relax, take a deep breath and except it, we own you!!! As far as the playoffs, we are going to have 3 weeks to heal, and rest up, honestly, I dont think this is the year we get to the NC chamionship, but we are the most dangerous team in the playoffs, I dont think anyone of the 4 seeds wants to see our name in their bracket on Sunday.

GlassOnion
November 12th, 2012, 01:47 PM

A team that trail the Citadel 45 to 7 with about 10 mins left in th 3rd quarter!!

Or a team who would be # 1 in FCS if their placekicker could have made a field goal
in the 2 games they lost!! Oh btw if the officials hadn't given a certain team the

I pick the team that travelled to the #1 or 2 team in the nation, with its back to the wall, down half its 2 deep, and wanted it more than the home team with the championship on the line.

citdog
November 12th, 2012, 01:50 PM

23-21. We went through app on their own field like yosef went through ned beatty. You couldn't defeat them in front of your south georgia clayeating white trash in pigs ***. Nobody to blame but yourselves.

asumike83
November 12th, 2012, 02:16 PM
Oh btw if the officials hadn't given a certain team the win like they did last year this team would have won the SoCon outright!!

xlolx

That never gets old.

PaladinFan
November 12th, 2012, 02:17 PM
1) GSU - They hit the top of my list because of the three 6-2 teams, I'd like seeing them the least in the playoffs.
2) Wofford - Beat App at home, only losses have come on the road.
3) ASU - Could be top of the list, but have lost twice at home, and are the only one of the top three that have been beaten soundly (twice).
4) Samford - Quietly put together a nice season with only one loss by more than a score.
5) UTC - Not sure if we will ever see them get over the hump.
6) The Citadel - gonna have tough duty winning in Greenville.
7) Furman - not quite there yet.
8) Elon - Two man show.
9) WCU - as per the usual

WCU at Bama: Tide win 62-0 (get home safe)
Wofford at USC: Cocks win 34-17 (no way Wofford surprises them twice)
GSU at UGA: Dawgs win 42-17 (Eagles haven't seen anything close to Jarvis Jones this season)
The Citadel at Furman: Paladins win 28-20 (Bellhops tend to struggle in Greenville)
Elon at UTC: Mocs win 28-24 (Elon could very easily win this one)
Samford at UK: Dogs win 27-20 (UK has already lost to an FCSish team this year in WKU and have not even been competitive in the SEC)

asumike83
November 12th, 2012, 02:22 PM
3) ASU - Could be top of the list, but have lost twice at home, and are the only one of the top three that have been beaten soundly (twice).

They certainly outplayed us but I'm not sure I'd say that Wofford beat us soundly. It was a 10-point game that was decided by a defensive score in the 4th quarter.

ASUMountaineer
November 12th, 2012, 02:25 PM

xlolx

T-Dog
November 15th, 2012, 01:58 PM
Oh yeah, I wrote things this week.

The Perils of Everyweek Existence: Campeones and Siestas (http://www.yosefscabin.com/tpoeecas/)

Western Carolina @ Alabama - 66-0 - Bama names their score in this one.
Wofford @ South Carolina - 35-14 - Just don't see it happening
Georgia Southern @ Georgia - 31-21 - GSU breaks off some long plays but again, SEC is SEC.
The Citadel @ Furman - 28-21 - Furmie hands ASU the autobid with a close win.
Elon @ Chattanooga - 45-17 - Nooga rolls to build for next year.
Samford @ Kentucky - 28-21 - I want to pick Sammy, but I can't.

Saint3333
November 15th, 2012, 05:27 PM
Just don't see GSU keeping it that close, UGA by 28.

CID1990
November 15th, 2012, 10:30 PM

Boo Freakin Hoo.

If you want to lay it on field goal kicking, then we could just as easily have beaten you at the Stink last year.

eaglewraith
November 16th, 2012, 06:30 AM
Boo Freakin Hoo.

If you want to lay it on field goal kicking, then we could just as easily have beaten you at the Stink last year.

Ironically enough, as soon as we were lining up a FG to win it against you guys this year I felt the karma train on the tracks about to run us over :(

PaladinFan
November 16th, 2012, 07:13 AM
Just don't see GSU keeping it that close, UGA by 28.

I don't think it will be close.

I say that for one reason - UGA plays Georgia Tech next weekend, a team that runs the same offense. With the Bulldogs in the national championship picture, they will need to beat GT convincingly. I anticipate that the Bulldogs will fully put in a defense this week, tune up with it against Georgia Southern, and be ready to go against Tech. I don't think Tech would keep some of the local high schools from putting up 30 points, but it is extremely important that UGA beat them by a large point differential.

My guess, like yours, is a spread somewhere around 30 points.

mountaineer in Cane Land
November 16th, 2012, 07:29 AM
this is actually a big game for GS, they need to stay close and keep the game respectable to keep from dropping too many spots in the polls. Both App and GS need some teams ahead of them to get upset this weekend to improve their playoffs sitution. Love that App can kick back , relax, and watch the other teams sweat it out this weekend.

AppAlum2003
November 16th, 2012, 07:31 AM

Touchdown and 5 safeties.

AppAlum2003
November 16th, 2012, 07:32 AM

Whose residence? Our residence.

AppAlum2003
November 16th, 2012, 07:33 AM

HAHA... you said "small privates"

PaladinFan
November 16th, 2012, 09:25 AM
this is actually a big game for GS, they need to stay close and keep the game respectable to keep from dropping too many spots in the polls. Both App and GS need some teams ahead of them to get upset this weekend to improve their playoffs sitution. Love that App can kick back , relax, and watch the other teams sweat it out this weekend.

I think there is some sweating to be done in Boone.

App could stand teams like Coastal and Montana to win to boost their playoff resume. As of today, ASU has only one win over a current top 25 team (Georgia Southern). While many thought the game against the Griz would be a marquee win for the program, that game is looking less impressive by the week as the Griz will have to beat #2 MSU to avoid a losing season. Coastal would need to win Saturday to share the Big South conference title (and, obviously, it is better to have a big win over another conference champ than a big win over an out of conference team).

asumike83
November 16th, 2012, 10:22 AM

App could stand teams like Coastal and Montana to win to boost their playoff resume. As of today, ASU has only one win over a current top 25 team (Georgia Southern). While many thought the game against the Griz would be a marquee win for the program, that game is looking less impressive by the week as the Griz will have to beat #2 MSU to avoid a losing season. Coastal would need to win Saturday to share the Big South conference title (and, obviously, it is better to have a big win over another conference champ than a big win over an out of conference team).

There is no chance we don't get in and only a slight chance we don't receive a bye. 8 wins in an all DI schedule, a road win over the #1 team just two weeks ago, a share of the SoCon title and top 10 in both major polls. Unless Wofford/GSU pull of miracles this weekend, we will be ranked in the 5-7 range in both final polls. No matter what happens with Furman/The Citadel, App is in. 100%.

Saint3333
November 16th, 2012, 10:24 AM

Little early in the morning for a drink there din fan. App is 100% in with a bye and a home game in the real first round. Book it.

mountaineer in Cane Land
November 16th, 2012, 10:54 AM
and dont forget, whether you like it or not, App brings money to the table, we will probably see 13-16 thousand a playoff game, while much lower than the season average, it still will be in the top 1 or 2 of playoff attendence. There is zero chance they dont make the playoffs, and if eveything falls in place this weekend, might even host a couple of games.

Apphole
November 16th, 2012, 11:05 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aside from Wofford, isn't GaSo the only ranked team we played all season? Was Montana ranked week 1? I'm pretty sure Citadel didn't get a rank until they beat us.

PaladinFan
November 16th, 2012, 11:29 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aside from Wofford, isn't GaSo the only ranked team we played all season? Was Montana ranked week 1? I'm pretty sure Citadel didn't get a rank until they beat us.

Did not say App State has not beat a ranked team. I said they have only one win over a current top 25 team. They have several wins over teams that were ranked at one point, but are ranked no longer.

I am also not suggesting that ASU will not get a home game. Of course they will. I do not think they will have multiple home games. That is going to be problematic for a team that really has not had to play on the road at all in the playoffs since 2005. Of the 20 playoff games App has had since their resurgence in 2005, exactly two have been played on the road (and three at neutral Chattanooga). I think we can all agree that winning a title with multiple games on the road is a bit tougher than playing in friendly confines until the championship.

ElCid
November 16th, 2012, 11:51 AM

Cid was ranked in AGS at 24 and in Coaches poll at 23 after we beat GaSo prior to the App game. Moved up to 8 and 14 after we thumped you. I said it at the time and it is even more apparent in hindsight, it was way too high. I kind of thought that maybe it was GaSo and App St fans ranking us too high to make the sting of defeat not so bad, but I'll take it and appreciate the conference pride. We had a couple good games and are much better this year, but had too many holes to make it last the season. Best of luck to all SOCON in the playoffs.

AppAlum2003
November 16th, 2012, 11:53 AM
Did not say App State has not beat a ranked team. I said they have only one win over a current top 25 team. They have several wins over teams that were ranked at one point, but are ranked no longer.

I am also not suggesting that ASU will not get a home game. Of course they will. I do not think they will have multiple home games. That is going to be problematic for a team that really has not had to play on the road at all in the playoffs since 2005. Of the 20 playoff games App has had since their resurgence in 2005, exactly two have been played on the road (and three at neutral Chattanooga). I think we can all agree that winning a title with multiple games on the road is a bit tougher than playing in friendly confines until the championship.

I welcome a road game for ASU. The last two home playoff games have not necessarily gone as planned. And the two losses on the season (not counting ECU) are both at home. I say put them on the road away from the stone palace. It might be good for them.

That being said... anyone have a couch I can crash on in 3 weeks?

mountaineer in Cane Land
November 16th, 2012, 12:33 PM
I agree that the chances of App getting 2 home games are slim, the only way that happens if there are alot of upsets this weekend of teams ahead of us in the polls.

Saint3333
November 16th, 2012, 12:34 PM

No one is predicting a national title or even a deep run in the playoffs justing saying there is no sweating in Boone this weekend as we are 100% in the playoffs. I expect App to win in a close game at home and then travel to a seeded team and hopefully contend, that's the extend of my personal expectations.

We could easily lose the first game depending on the matchup. 8-3 and co-champs with this young and inexperienced team exceeded my expectations for the regular season.

Apphole
November 16th, 2012, 01:12 PM
No one is predicting a national title or even a deep run in the playoffs justing saying there is no sweating in Boone this weekend as we are 100% in the playoffs. I expect App to win in a close game at home and then travel to a seeded team and hopefully contend, that's the extend of my personal expectations.

We could easily lose the first game depending on the matchup. 8-3 and co-champs with this young and inexperienced team exceeded my expectations for the regular season.

Agreed.

Next year I won't be satisfied with anything short of a semifinal appearance. That's assuming we will be playoff eligible. 2013 may be a transition year, depending on conference shakeups this off season.

AppAlum2003
November 16th, 2012, 01:23 PM
Get it guys? "Small Privates"

asumike83
November 16th, 2012, 01:25 PM
I agree that the chances of App getting 2 home games are slim, the only way that happens if there are alot of upsets this weekend of teams ahead of us in the polls.

All it takes is one upset in the playoffs for us to have the chance at multiple home games!

I expect the team to have higher goals but as a fan, I just want us to take care of business in the one home playoff game we will certainly get. If we can do that and make it through to the round of 8, I'll consider this season a serious step in the right direction for our program. We're playing with house money after that.

Apphole
November 16th, 2012, 01:34 PM
Get it guys? "Small Privates"

I LOLed.

Eaglesrus
November 21st, 2012, 10:45 AM
Bama 70 WCU 10
SC 31 WOF 10
UK 34 SAMFORD 17
UGA 42 GA SO 17
UTC 30 ELON 21
CIT 34 FURMAN 24

Told ya xrotatehx