PDA

View Full Version : Who gets an At-Large Berth

atlfcsfan
November 10th, 2012, 09:41 PM
After Saturday's games, of the 10 at large spots I would say I see 5 of them filled already. So that means there are 5 more to be filled.

Note: Im only listing teams who cant win their conference, but are definitely in.

1. GA Southern
2. Sam Houston State
3. Old Dominion
4 Big Sky runner ups E. Washington/Montana st 1 of these wins the conference, the other 1 is lock for at large
5. N Arizona/Cal Poly winner

So that leaves 5 at large berths for everyone else.

Bear84
November 10th, 2012, 10:12 PM
If you assume just two runnersup get in from the MVFC and the CAA, that leaves just ONE berth for everyone else. Any team losing their last game may find themselves staying home. It is very possible that only the top 5 conferences get an at-large this year. A LOT of worthy teams are going to be left out.

WrenFGun
November 10th, 2012, 10:16 PM
After Saturday's games, of the 10 at large spots I would say I see 5 of them filled already. So that means there are 5 more to be filled.

Note: Im only listing teams who cant win their conference, but are definitely in.

1. GA Southern
2. Sam Houston State
3. Old Dominion
4&5 Big Sky runner ups (N.Arizona, E. Washington, and Montana State) 1 of these wins the conference, the other 2 are locks for at large

So that leaves 5 at large berths for everyone else.

Not sure why ODU is a lock if UNH isn't ..

Additionally, NAU is FAR from a lock. They play what is probably an elimination game next week at home against Cal Poly. If Poly loses they are DEFINITELY out with the sub DI game, but non-terrible chance NAU would be out if they lose that game. They'd basically be 4th from the Big Sky and have gone 1-2 in their last 3.

DoubleE
November 10th, 2012, 10:16 PM
I think the MVFC gets 4 in.

NDSU, SDSU, Illinois State, and the winner of ISUb and YSU

Bear84
November 10th, 2012, 10:24 PM
If the Cal Poly/NAU winner gets in and the MVFC gets 4 in, then that's all folks! xpopcornx

MSUBobcat
November 10th, 2012, 10:45 PM

Additionally, NAU is FAR from a lock. They play what is probably an elimination game next week at home against Cal Poly. If Poly loses they are DEFINITELY out with the sub DI game, but non-terrible chance NAU would be out if they lose that game. They'd basically be 4th from the Big Sky and have gone 1-2 in their last 3.

atlfcsfan was only listing teams that were locks but COULN'T win the conference; UNH is currently occupying an AQ and not in the running for an at-large. Given that Lehigh and Stony Brook decided to muddle things up by losing (and NAU also), next week's NAU-Poly game is an elimination game I'm guessing.

Too many teams, not enough spots. Don't see the winner of that game in the playoffs with only 7 DI wins.

DoubleE
November 10th, 2012, 10:52 PM
atlfcsfan was only listing teams that were locks but COULN'T win the conference; UNH is currently occupying an AQ and not in the running for an at-large. Given that Lehigh and Stony Brook decided to muddle things up by losing (and NAU also), next week's NAU-Poly game is an elimination game I'm guessing.

Too many teams, not enough spots. Don't see the winner of that game in the playoffs with only 7 DI wins.

ISUb with a win would be 8-3, YSU with a win would be 7-4 with a win over a BCS program whom beat Virginia Tech and almost beat ND

dudeitsaid
November 10th, 2012, 10:56 PM
Cal Poly is cruising to their 8th D1 win tonight against Idaho State. If NAU loses to them next week, NAU is definitely out. However, if NAU wins, Cal Poly would still have 8 D1 wins. Their only signature win will be against FBS Wyoming. However, if that happens, does the Big Sky get 4 teams in? Truthfully, I think NAU loses to Poly and it's a moot point. NAU has had an extremely easy schedule. SUU is better than their record shows, and they went into triple OT before losing, so I'm not saying NAU sucks. But I think Cal Poly is slightly more battle tested, and will win a close game next week.

Bear84
November 11th, 2012, 12:15 AM
These are my locks.

NDSU
ISUr
SDSU
Montana State
E. Washington
Cal Poly/NAU winner
UNH
ODU
Sam Houston State
Georgia Southern

3 of these 10 teams will get the AQ, so 7 at-large spots are locks.

Only 3 of the following teams will get in with at-large berths.

ISUb
YSU
Wofford
JMU
Villanova
Richmond
Towson
Cal Poly/NAU loser
Stony Brook
Lehigh
EKU

seantaylor
November 11th, 2012, 12:37 AM
I still don't see anything definitive on who gets the Socon autobid.

MSUBobcat
November 11th, 2012, 12:45 AM
ISUb with a win would be 8-3, YSU with a win would be 7-4 with a win over a BCS program whom beat Virginia Tech and almost beat ND

ISU-b would have 7 DI wins unless Quincy made the jump since the start of the year. YSU recently went on a 4 game schneid against the top 3 MVFC schools, and likely playoff teams. If you can't beat any of the playoff teams in your conference in the regular season, I don't think the committee gives you a second chance in the playoffs, given the number of teams that could finish with 8 DI wins (or more in the case of Lehigh). Beating Pitt is a quality win, but VT isn't as good a win as it once looked and moral victories aren't W's. I could be wrong but I think the winner of this game needs help from other teams to make the cut.

atlfcsfan
November 11th, 2012, 02:42 AM

Thanks you are right. NA is far from a lock I guess a better way of saying it is the winner of their game with Cal Poly is a lock.

MTfan4life
November 11th, 2012, 03:23 AM

Cal Poly does not have a sub DI game. They have 8 wins and an FBS win. I think you're confusing NAU and Cal Poly. NAU should be out if they lose to Cal Poly. Cal Poly will still be on the bubble if they lose to NAU.

gsu_paintballer
November 11th, 2012, 07:35 AM
I still don't see anything definitive on who gets the Socon autobid.

App.

Once you go down the line to teams below the top three, Samford beat Wofford, so they're eliminated from the tie. That's where some confusion comes in. From that point, you either go head to head (ASU beats us) or you keep moving down the line until no one else can break the tie (they can't, because Wofford is the only other team that beat App), and THEN you go to head to head (ASU beats us).

RabidRabbit
November 11th, 2012, 08:10 AM

Both ISUb and YSU are at best 7-3, or 7-4. ISUb could be 6-2, and tied for 1st in a 4way tie with SDSU/NDSU/ISUr/ISUb. Should that 4 way tie occur, SDSU is the AQ. YSU can, at best, end up 2 games back to the co-champs, and may be 3 games back, in 5th place in the MVFC.

So, despite the great results for NDSU during the Dakota Marker game, Jacks fans have to be cheering on the Redbirds next week.

Horseshoe App
November 11th, 2012, 08:29 AM
They are not going to keep Wofford out. They will be 8-3. They beat ASU. They are SoCon co champs. They even played well in the playoff last season. I would be willing to bet a good amount of money that they are in.

atlfcsfan
November 11th, 2012, 08:34 AM
They are not going to keep Wofford out. They will be 8-3. They beat ASU. They are SoCon co champs. They even played well in the playoff last season. I would be willing to bet a good amount of money that they are in.

True they are co So Con Champs, but they will be 8-3, so most likely will be at least about a dozen other teams. All of them cant go. Other teams can put up good resumes too. While a victory isnt likely next week, I suggest they show up and put forth a strong effort against the Gamecocks. Maybe a close loss would help them a bit, like a 28-14 loss or something.

WrenFGun
November 11th, 2012, 08:40 AM
Cal Poly does not have a sub DI game. They have 8 wins and an FBS win. I think you're confusing NAU and Cal Poly. NAU should be out if they lose to Cal Poly. Cal Poly will still be on the bubble if they lose to NAU.

Yes. This. Both teams are out if they lose, but NAU is DEFINITELY OUT, while Cal Poly is just almost certainly out, IMO.