PDA

View Full Version : SFA has much to prove in '06

TexasTerror
August 11th, 2006, 04:33 AM
SFA is today's stop on the Houston Chronicle's tour of area colleges. Just SHSU remains as we continue foward. SFA went 5-6 last year including being stomped on 52-24, the most points given up by either side in the 'Battle of the Piney Woods', against rival SHSU. The Jacks almost fell victim to a Div II squad and really threw up a goose egg when it mattered most.

The Jacks are picked last in the SLC and will have a tough run on things this year. The bright spot is at QB where Danny Southall is a preseason All-SLC pick and can definitely do some damage this year if given a chance to operate the offense behind the Jacks' line. Best of luck to SFA!

SFA has much to prove in '06
Lumberjacks out to make amends for 5-6 showing of last season
By RONNIE TURNER

If Stephen F. Austin is to receive any respect in 2006, the Lumberjacks will have to earn it the hard way.

In the Southland Conference's preseason football poll, SFA was picked to finish last in the league after a 5-6 showing in 2005.

Robert McFarland, the Lumberjacks' second-year head coach, believes the prediction is justified.

"(Considering) the football team that (everyone) saw last year, I think I would have voted with them had they let me vote for us," McFarland said. "It was a disappointing year, and the players were not happy with their (performance). We weren't the football team I want to represent our university."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4109765.html