PDA

View Full Version : Congrats Wofford Terriers, Georgia Southern Eagles!

GreatAppSt
November 10th, 2012, 07:18 PM
and of course Appalachian State Mountaineers on your hard earned co-Championship of the SoCon.xbowx IMHO this has been an up, very tough year with many above average teams in the SoCon, the playoff field better be ready. Now if the committee would not match us up in the second round per their habitxbangx several from the SoCon could go deep, again just MHO.

Wallace
November 10th, 2012, 08:33 PM
It's pretty clear all three have a good shot at getting in the tournament.

GATA_Eagles
November 10th, 2012, 08:35 PM
All three are tough. App being done for the regular season really helps them. I see at least GSU and App getting the second round bye -- which means App will have three weeks until they play their next game.

theasushow
November 10th, 2012, 08:45 PM
It's pretty clear all three have a good shot at getting in the tournament.

I think all 3 are locks...they are all conference champs. Even though only 1 team gets the autobid, you cant leave out a conference champion, even if it is shared.

Apphole
November 10th, 2012, 08:51 PM
Sorry Stink fans. Furman can't steal our trophy for you guys two years in a row!

Wallace
November 10th, 2012, 08:53 PM
I think all 3 are locks...they are all conference champs. Even though only 1 team gets the autobid, you cant leave out a conference champion, even if it is shared.

The term "Woffed" meaning a conference co-champ getting left out when the other co-champs get in was coined back in the early 2000s when it happened to Wofford?

Apphole
November 10th, 2012, 08:56 PM
I think all 3 are shoe ins, baring something crazy happening.

Would someone teach that Wofford kid how to take a knee in the endzone?

walliver
November 10th, 2012, 08:59 PM
The term "Woffed" meaning a conference co-champ getting left out when the other co-champs get in was coined back in the early 2000s when it happened to Wofford?

Actually, in 2002, GSU won the SoCon outright. Wofford, ASU, and Furman were tied for second. At that time, there was an unwritten rule that no conference could get more than 3 bids. The Committee went with the "Big 3" (or at least the Big 3 at that time). After that year's controversy, the committee broke the "3 team rule" and invited 4 teams from the Gateway.

eaglewraith
November 10th, 2012, 09:03 PM
Sorry Stink fans. Furman can't steal our trophy for you guys two years in a row!

We still got one too genius.

ITmonarch10
November 10th, 2012, 09:04 PM
How is Wofford a lock with all the 8-3 teams from other power conferences, Stony Brook\Lehigh not getting their conference auto bid, and having a D2 win. Even in the 7 FCS win department, you still have Sam Houston, Towson, and Indiana State. Also lets not forget the OVC, Eastern Kentucky just finished it season 8-3 in the top 25 of both polls and GPI.

GATA_Eagles
November 10th, 2012, 09:06 PM
How is Wofford a lock with all the 8-3 teams from other power conferences, Stony Brook\Lehigh not getting their conference auto bid, and having a D2 win. Even in the 7 FCS win department, you still have Sam Houston, Towson, and Indiana State. Also lets not forget the OVC, Eastern Kentucky just finished it season 8-3 in the top 25 of both polls and GPI.

I see Wofford in over Towson/EKU. Win over App definitely helps

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 10th, 2012, 09:10 PM
Merry Christmas Appalachian State and Wofford.

xbangx

ITmonarch10
November 10th, 2012, 09:16 PM
I see Wofford in over Towson/EKU. Win over App definitely helps
But are they a lock ? I see them sweating it out when the selections are made.

GSUEagles#1
November 10th, 2012, 09:23 PM
For a second there it was looking like GSU could earn the outright championship when Wofford went to OT with Chatt and when it was a 3 point game for App at the end.

Apphole
November 10th, 2012, 09:24 PM
We still got one too genius.

No **** xlolx.

walliver
November 10th, 2012, 09:24 PM
But are they a lock ? I see them sweating it out when the selections are made.

Nobody is a lock other than auto-bids.

That being said, the Big South and Patriot are rarely (if ever) 2 bid leagues.

The SoCon has traditionally been a 3 playoff team league.

Appattk
November 10th, 2012, 09:26 PM
Nobody is a lock other than auto-bids.

That being said, the Big South and Patriot are rarely (if ever) 2 bid leagues.

The SoCon has traditionally been a 3 playoff team league.

I think the #4 CAA and Big Sky teams might be a little more scared right now looking at what's happened to SB and Lehigh this weekend..

Wallace
November 10th, 2012, 09:39 PM
Actually, in 2002, GSU won the SoCon outright. Wofford, ASU, and Furman were tied for second. At that time, there was an unwritten rule that no conference could get more than 3 bids. The Committee went with the "Big 3" (or at least the Big 3 at that time). After that year's controversy, the committee broke the "3 team rule" and invited 4 teams from the Gateway.

Thanks, Wofford had beaten the other two tied teams and the next year Wofford won the SoCon for the first time if my failing memory serves me right... this time! xlolx

walliver
November 10th, 2012, 09:43 PM
Thanks, Wofford had beaten the other two tied teams and the next year Wofford won the SoCon for the first time if my failing memory serves me right... this time! xlolx

Actually Wofford had beaten ASU in Boone, and GSU in Statesboro, but lost to Furman in the last minute of that game. The excuse given for Wofford's exclusion was a lost to VMI, yes that VMI. My gut feeling is that the committee went with the status quo and left Wofford out. We did go 8-0 in conference the next year and got a #3 seed, while the "big 3" stayed home.

This is the 10th anniversary of that, and I think the committee will be cognizant of that.

ITmonarch10
November 10th, 2012, 10:05 PM
I think the #4 CAA and Big Sky teams might be a little more scared right now looking at what's happened to SB and Lehigh this weekend..

The Big Sky will work itself out in the Cal Poly/NAU game. I expect Cal Poly to bounce NAU making them a 3 bid conference which is kinda shocking considering they have 13 teams.
I already started a thread on the subject of SB and Lehigh and have the #4 CAA\Big Sky\MVFC and Wofford as the biggest losers in the scenario. I am saying Id rather be a 8 Div 1 win power conference team with 1 FBS loss 2 FCS losses than a 7 Div 1 win team with a D2 win, 1 FBS loss and 2 FCS losses during the selection process.

GreatAppSt
November 11th, 2012, 11:50 AM
The term "Woffed" meaning a conference co-champ getting left out when the other co-champs get in was coined back in the early 2000s when it happened to Wofford? They weren't co-champs they were tied for second, three way.

ASUMountaineer
November 12th, 2012, 10:00 AM
Merry Christmas Appalachian State and Wofford.

xbangx

The SoCon officials thank the GSU kicking unit as well. Amirite? xthumbsupx