PDA

View Full Version : App beats Furman

SpeedkingATL
November 10th, 2012, 05:42 PM
App survives 2 fumbles returned for TDs and a kickoff return for a TD to win. SoCon Co-Champs.

Mr. C
November 10th, 2012, 05:45 PM
10 years after the Miracle on the Mountain, ASU and Furman did this classic rivalry justice again. Sounds like a great game. If it were not for a presidential election to vote for, I would have been at KBS for my first ASU-Furman game in five years.

Mr. C
November 10th, 2012, 05:46 PM
And with wins by Wofford and Samford today, the Mountaineers are officially in the playoffs as the SoCon automatic qualifier.

ITmonarch10
November 10th, 2012, 05:46 PM
App survives 2 fumbles returned for TDs and a kickoff return for a TD to win. SoCon Co-Champs.
You guys had me worried for a second.

OL FU
November 10th, 2012, 05:49 PM
I thought for a while we were getting back for all the bad mojo the last ten years. but it wasn't enough. Congrats

AndrewFU21
November 10th, 2012, 05:53 PM
Congrats on winning a share of the SoCon, ASU. Good luck in the playoffs.

This has been a frustrating season for FU. While you expect growing pains with a new coach and a young team, we have lost an absurd amount of close games. Our head coach needs to get a lot better at managing close games.

RadioFan
November 10th, 2012, 05:54 PM
Hi Hi Yikas

The Eagle's Cliff
November 10th, 2012, 05:59 PM
And with wins by Wofford and Samford today, the Mountaineers are officially in the playoffs as the SoCon automatic qualifier.

Glad we could gift wrap it for you. Congrats

proasu89
November 10th, 2012, 06:22 PM
I thought for a while we were getting back for all the bad mojo the last ten years. but it wasn't enough. Congrats

Congrats to Furman on an great game!

theasushow
November 10th, 2012, 06:38 PM

Is this a sure thing?? I heard David Jackson saying that we wouldn't find out for sure who the autobid goes to until the conclusion of next week's games. I think ASU will likely get a first round bye and not have a game until 3 weekends from now, a much needed break.

SpeedkingATL
November 10th, 2012, 06:42 PM
I believe since Wofford, App and GaSo lost in round robin fashion it depends on what team finishes in 4th place and how the 3 teams did against them. App needs Citadel to lose next week to insure the bid but there are other possibilities if that doesn't happen.

OL FU
November 10th, 2012, 06:43 PM
I believe since Wofford, App and GaSo lost in round robin fashion it depends on what team finishes in 4th place and how the 3 teams did against them. App needs Citadel to lose next week.

I vote for that.

SpeedkingATL
November 10th, 2012, 06:44 PM
Time for Furman to win a close one.
xthumbsupx

I vote for that.

Apphole
November 10th, 2012, 06:55 PM
That final drive was terrifying. The stadium sounded like an SEC game for a while and the field rush was amazing.

Great game, Furman. The rivalry is alive and well and I thought you were going to rob us of our ring two years in a row.

Time to FINALLY get these players some rest. It's been a brutal season. This is a very dangerous App team for these playoffs once we get healthy and there is little doubt in my mind we will have the top offense next season.

proasu89
November 10th, 2012, 07:23 PM
I vote for that.

How about telling Coach Fowler to go for it on 4th down if your trailing late in the game!

Apphole
November 10th, 2012, 07:41 PM
http://bit.ly/PME9t3

OL FU
November 10th, 2012, 07:50 PM
How about telling Coach Fowler to go for it on 4th down if your trailing late in the game!

Yeah I know. Lots of discussion about that. On the other hand, the defense did stop you. But your punter had a heck of a punt. Personally, I would have went for it.

MorgantonAPPAlum
November 10th, 2012, 08:12 PM
Best effort for the defense so far this season. Sam Martin gets kudos for his punting effort all day, but especially that last kick.

theasushow
November 10th, 2012, 08:16 PM
Best effort for the defense so far this season. Sam Martin gets kudos for his punting effort all day, but especially that last kick.

Yea really, I mean Furman drove 60 yards in that last 2 minutes, without Martin pinning them on the 1 yard like they COULD have been in much better position to score.

OL FU
November 10th, 2012, 08:22 PM
So no one has started the Socon Power thread but it seems clear at the top

1 is a three way tie.

7 is furman
8 is Elon
9 Is WCU

Who is in the middle I guess will be decided next week, not that it matters. I don't see 4 SoCon teams in

Mr. C
November 10th, 2012, 08:26 PM

Did the interception at the end come in the cursed end zone?

Thought of you today when I posted my Miracle on the Mountain piece on the CSJ website for the 10th anniversary. I can feel your pain.

Mr. C
November 10th, 2012, 08:27 PM
Yea really, I mean Furman drove 60 yards in that last 2 minutes, without Martin pinning them on the 1 yard like they COULD have been in much better position to score.

Or was it Sam Martin's punt that landed just outside the cursed scoreboard-end end zone? The curse had to be working somehow.

proasu89
November 10th, 2012, 08:29 PM
Or was it Sam Martin's punt that landed just outside the cursed scoreboard-end end zone? The curse had to be working somehow.

The punt on the dreaded 1 yard line!

OL FU
November 10th, 2012, 08:29 PM
Did the interception at the end come in the cursed end zone?

Thought of you today when I posted my Miracle on the Mountain piece on the CSJ website for the 10th anniversary. I can feel your pain.

Thanks for think about me, but you don't have to do it with respect to that particular incidentxeyebrowx

Mr. C
November 10th, 2012, 08:30 PM
Is this a sure thing?? I heard David Jackson saying that we wouldn't find out for sure who the autobid goes to until the conclusion of next week's games. I think ASU will likely get a first round bye and not have a game until 3 weekends from now, a much needed break.

David Jackson was screwed up on that last week. Samford finishes fourth with the win over Elon. Someone pulled out the criteria last week in the Paulson Stadium press box.

Mr. C
November 10th, 2012, 08:33 PM
The punt on the dreaded 1 yard line!

Probably hit about the spot where Ingle Martin slipped on the patch of ice on the three-yard line.

ASU_Fanatic
November 10th, 2012, 08:36 PM
That final drive was terrifying. The stadium sounded like an SEC game for a while and the field rush was amazing.
Stop making me want to cry.

Mr. C
November 10th, 2012, 08:36 PM
The Citadel lost to both Chattanooga and Samford, so if one or more of them finish tied for fourth, the tiebreaker puts Samford as fourth place. That gives ASU the auto bid even if The Citadel wins at Furman next Saturday.

dungeonjoe
November 10th, 2012, 08:40 PM
Thanks for think about me, but you don't have to do it with respect to that particular incidentxeyebrowx

I think of you drinking that bitter Ingle Martini

proasu89
November 10th, 2012, 08:41 PM

Probably hit about the spot where Ingle Martin slipped on the patch of ice on the three-yard line.

Nope. Right hash this time. Love that South End Zone.

Apphole
November 10th, 2012, 08:43 PM
Stop making me want to cry.

I saw on Twitter that you went to the State game. SMH.

ASU_Fanatic
November 10th, 2012, 08:46 PM
I saw on Twitter that you went to the State game. SMH.

I had to visit my sister. Emphasis on "had"... It was forced upon me. Lol that atmosphere is a joke compared to KBS though, they couldn't even get the WOLF-PACK chant going. And my phone died so I couldn't even follow App. Misery State game wasnt even a good game.

Apphole
November 10th, 2012, 08:50 PM
I had to visit my sister. Emphasis on "had"... It was forced upon me. Lol that atmosphere is a joke compared to KBS though, they couldn't even get the WOLF-PACK chant going. And my phone died so I couldn't even follow App. Misery State game wasnt even a good game.

I've been to tons of State games. Most of the time it's a typical boring ACC atmosphere and is not as loud as KBS. When they get a high profile, ranked team coming to Carter Finley though, it's loud and rowdy as hell.

ASU_Fanatic
November 10th, 2012, 08:52 PM
I've been to tons of State games. Most of the time it's a typical boring ACC atmosphere and is not as loud as KBS. When they get a high profile, ranked team coming to Carter Finley though, it's loud and rowdy as hell.

Yeah it's my second choice only thing I prefer it to App is they actually have basketball there but I still prefer App by miles. Yeah I'm sure if it would have been that FSU game it would have been x1000 better.

Saint3333
November 10th, 2012, 08:55 PM
Furman fans what did you think of the atmosphere in the 4th quarter?

Appattk
November 10th, 2012, 08:58 PM
Voice is gone. Wallet is lighter. Ears are still ringing. Wow what an ending! The ghost in the South end zone strikes again, giving that last punt a nice jig right into our player on the 1 yard line...

Mr. C
November 10th, 2012, 09:01 PM
Yeah it's my second choice only thing I prefer it to App is they actually have basketball there but I still prefer App by miles. Yeah I'm sure if it would have been that FSU game it would have been x1000 better.

Several FCS environments are louder than A LOT of FBS schools. Montana ranks with anyone and ASU and Georgia Southern get after it pretty good. JMU and McNeese State are pretty good, too. I've heard that North Dakota State and UNI are terrifically loud domes. Youngstown State used to have a pretty good rep for its noise, too.

ASU_Fanatic
November 10th, 2012, 09:03 PM
Several FCS environments are louder than A LOT of FBS schools. Montana ranks with anyone and ASU and Georgia Southern get after it pretty good. JMU and McNeese State are pretty good, too. I've heard that North Dakota State and UNI are terrifically loud domes. Youngstown State used to have a pretty good rep for its noise, too.
Yeah I thought NCSU would be louder just because they have x2 more people but there's no way it was louder today than your typical App game.

mountaineer in Cane Land
November 10th, 2012, 09:14 PM
Strange game, App only gave up 1 offensive Td, and moved easily up and down the field, but couldn't score the Td that would put Furman away. App played well enough to win by 3 tds, but Furman took advantage of every App mistake. I also agree the Furman coach made a mistake not going for it with 4 and 1 with 5 minutes to go in the 4th, he had nothing to lose, too conservative.

cbarrier90
November 10th, 2012, 10:32 PM

I have a pretty good idea of what their O-line thought...

Skjellyfetti
November 10th, 2012, 11:00 PM
Glad we could gift wrap it for you. Congrats

Eh. We gift wrapped y'all's SoCon championship last year by laying an egg at Furman.

OL FU
November 11th, 2012, 06:50 AM

I haven't been to Boone in quite a few years. It sounded awesome on the radio. Our play by play guy worked for Clemson in 2010 so this was his first trip to Boone and he said that the atmoshpere in many ACC venues don't compare to KBS.

Rekdiver
November 11th, 2012, 07:04 AM
We must have had A couple thousand people leave at halftime. Guess they thought we had it wrapped up. Of course the ones that stayed though made some noise.

AppMan
November 11th, 2012, 07:54 AM

The South end zone mojo was alive and kickin' last night! That punt stopped like a Phil Mickleson wedge shot on a soft green.

mountaineer in Cane Land
November 11th, 2012, 08:22 AM
First game this year, actually thought the crowd, for most of the game was alittle quiet, but I was really impressed with the student section, they were loud the entire game, and very few left early, glad They were allowed to run on the field after the game, I'm sure the players really appreciated support. Now, with 2 maybe 3 weeks off before the playoffs, the team will be well rested, and ready to go.

PaladinFan
November 11th, 2012, 09:15 AM
Congrats to App. Was fairly convinced this game would not be a blowout, and that did not dissapoint.

Furman's problem with offensive consistency reared its ugly head yet again. Still, Furman fans have to be encouraged. The Paladins have sqaured up against a number of FCS top 15 teams and played each of them tough with a bunch of freshmen. I imagine you will see the Paladins challenge for the conference title here soon enough.

I haven't bothered to look it up, but does anyone know if Jerodis Williams has set some sort of SoCon records for kick returns? The only other player I can imagine in the past 10 years of so that would have had two 100 yard touchdown returns in a season might have been Javon Fowlkes.

Skjellyfetti
November 11th, 2012, 11:25 AM
The only other player I can imagine in the past 10 years of so that would have had two 100 yard touchdown returns in a season might have been Javon Fowlkes.

Laron Scott had 2 KO returns last year. Dunno if they were 100 yard returns, but it doesn't really matter, imo.

T-Dog
November 11th, 2012, 02:22 PM
http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics32/640/WE/WENLXOAITKUCTFQ.20121111010804.jpg

Mr. C
November 11th, 2012, 02:46 PM
Congrats to App. Was fairly convinced this game would not be a blowout, and that did not dissapoint.

Furman's problem with offensive consistency reared its ugly head yet again. Still, Furman fans have to be encouraged. The Paladins have sqaured up against a number of FCS top 15 teams and played each of them tough with a bunch of freshmen. I imagine you will see the Paladins challenge for the conference title here soon enough.

I haven't bothered to look it up, but does anyone know if Jerodis Williams has set some sort of SoCon records for kick returns? The only other player I can imagine in the past 10 years of so that would have had two 100 yard touchdown returns in a season might have been Javon Fowlkes.

It almost never is anything but a game that is decided on the final play. Along with the ASU-Georgia Southern and Delaware-Villanova rivalries, it is probably the most competitive rivalry game in FCS, year-in, year-out.

PaladinFan
November 11th, 2012, 03:57 PM
It almost never is anything but a game that is decided on the final play. Along with the ASU-Georgia Southern and Delaware-Villanova rivalries, it is probably the most competitive rivalry game in FCS, year-in, year-out.

Most certainly. What I expected.

I went back and looked at the participation chart. Furman played 13 freshmen against App State (many of them true freshmen). They played another 6 sophomores. This team, while without a sterling record, played Wofford to a draw, Samford to a draw, Georgia Southern to a draw for three quarters, and gave App a scare in Boone. I think we are begging the slow climb back to relevancy.

T-Dog
November 11th, 2012, 04:40 PM

I went back and looked at the participation chart. Furman played 13 freshmen against App State (many of them true freshmen). They played another 6 sophomores. This team, while without a sterling record, played Wofford to a draw, Samford to a draw, Georgia Southern to a draw for three quarters, and gave App a scare in Boone. I think we are begging the slow climb back to relevancy.

We're just as young. Only 12 seniors plus 3 redshirt juniors are graduating and we're stacked at those positions.

PaladinFan
November 11th, 2012, 05:36 PM
We're just as young. Only 12 seniors plus 3 redshirt juniors are graduating and we're stacked at those positions.

App is young, but is still a more experienced squad. Most of those twelve seniors are starters, and most of those are big contributors on both sides of the ball. I anticipate App may have a similar problem to the one Furman faced this year - return a lot of players but will find it difficult to replace the key contributors that graduated.

In any event, the point is that Furman went on the road to a tough venue against top 15 team, played a large number of freshmen, and still had an opportunity to win it in the fourth.

Saint3333
November 11th, 2012, 05:45 PM
Only 7 seniors really see playing time for App. App has to replace one offensive starter in RB Miller. They do have to replace four starters on defense but none on the Dline. They have highly recruited players ready to step up at those positions.

For those thinking (or hoping App) will be worse next year they are going to be disappointed.

The hardest place to replace may be Martin, the punter and I certainly don't mean that as an insult to the other 5 starters we are losing.

proasu89
November 11th, 2012, 06:57 PM
Only 7 seniors really see playing time for App. App has to replace one offensive starter in RB Miller. They do have to replace four starters on defense but none on the Dline. They have highly recruited players ready to step up at those positions.

For those thinking (or hoping App) will be worse next year they are going to be disappointed.

The hardest place to replace may be Martin, the punter and I certainly don't mean that as an insult to the other 5 starters we are losing.

Not questioning the ability of these young men to step up, but replacing Kimbrough, Grier, McCray, and Sanders is a tall order.

Go Apps
November 11th, 2012, 07:09 PM

This game was not close it was ASU who kept you in it with 21 Gifts otherwise a blowout but you had a chance in the end ASU also is playing many youngsters

Rekdiver
November 11th, 2012, 07:15 PM
Furman was prepared and rested and the Freshman QB did a great job. We did make things easier with the tos for scores. Furman has something to build on and the SmallCon will be interesting next year.

asumike83
November 11th, 2012, 07:28 PM
Not questioning the ability of these young men to step up, but replacing Kimbrough, Grier, McCray, and Sanders is a tall order.

No question about it, Grier and Kimbrough in particular. As much as we will miss McCray and Sanders, I think our secondary will be very good next season. Doug Middleton and Dante Blackmon were both projected to start before season-ending injuries. With Jamill Lott and Joel Ross getting starting experience in their place and returning in 2013, that group should be very solid.

The linebackers, while we have many highly regarded players, are a bit more of an unknown. Brandon McGowan got some experience last season in Kimbrough's place and John Law should be a good one as well. Both had high major FBS offers out of high school but have to prove themselves on the field.

Saint3333
November 11th, 2012, 07:53 PM

All those guys are great players no doubt. App replaces linebackers fairly well each year. Every year we have to replace great players, this year we will have to replace only half the players we typically do was my point.

proasu89
November 11th, 2012, 08:23 PM
All those guys are great players no doubt. App replaces linebackers fairly well each year. Every year we have to replace great players, this year we will have to replace only half the players we typically do was my point.

Your right about our ability to fill in at LB and it is very encouraging to have freshmen and sophomores in place up front.

PaladinFan
November 12th, 2012, 06:51 AM
This game was not close it was ASU who kept you in it with 21 Gifts otherwise a blowout but you had a chance in the end ASU also is playing many youngsters

I would imagine that you would say Georgia Southern did not "gift" App the win in Statesboro, despite missing three fieldgoals from extremely makeable distances. Teams take advantage of opportunities their opponents give them.

At the end of the day, it is ludicrous to suggest that a 100 yard kick return is not an earned score. Probably the most dangerous kick returner in the league, App had 11 guys on the field, and none of them tackled him. Likewise, it is certainly an earned score when a defender dislodges a football from a receiver and another player returns that for a score.

If App had done those plays you would sing the praises of outstanding special teams and defense. Because Furman pulled off those feats it was a gift. No mention, of course, of the fact that Furman leads the league in kick returns or has scored on defense three times in the past two games. No mention, of course, that App scored two touchdowns directly off Furman fumbles.

AppStsGr8
November 12th, 2012, 07:24 AM

Mark Powell is an excellent punter. He's the only one on the squad now besides Sam who can both kick and punt. He's got two years of eligibility left but will likely graduate early.

mountaineer in Cane Land
November 12th, 2012, 07:34 AM
Basically, 3 plays kept Furman in the game, yes give Furman credit, they took advantage of App mistakes, repeat, App mistakes, but without those gifts, App wins in a blowout. I was at the game, App dominated on both sides of the ball, one of their best games of the year. It was just one of those weird games where the score did not reflect the actual dominance of one team.

AppChicago
November 12th, 2012, 08:28 AM
Basically, 3 plays kept Furman in the game

I started to wonder if maybe all of the players were named "Jerodis".

GSUEagles#1
November 12th, 2012, 08:40 AM
This is comical to me!!! Last week people said ohhh App beat GA Southern and App was the better Team, yata yata... Gave no credit to the fact that had those 3 FGs been made (The only thing that went wrong that would have been a sure thing Disregarding the bad calls and non-safety) It would have been 37-31. But now you talk about how a close game with Furman was all gifts by App to Furman? Really? So two-sided! Part of football is turnovers and if you have two turnovers for a score like App apparently GAVE Furman and like we GAVE Citadel, that's all part of football and you can't say that Furman didn't earn those scores. Most of the app fans on this board think they are the best and no other team should receive ANY credit! I agree a W is a W and an L is an L, but you say that a Furman Matchup that seemingly came down to the end (whether by mistakes or not) was really a blowout despite the score. And also a win against GSU due to 3 missed FGs was all App who was the stronger team that day... Give me a break!

Meanwhile, In the season of giving, Alex Hanks should have received a BIG thank you card from App State since he gift wrapped and delivered a win to App over GSU and also gave you a piece of the trophy!

SpeedkingATL
November 12th, 2012, 08:59 AM
Martin's high percentage of kickoffs into the endzone and great hangtime and distance on punts helped to cover up what has traditionally been a weakness with App's coverage teams. Any kick return for a TD is certainly an earned score. App made mistakes and Furman took advantage. Luckily App was good enough to overcome their errors and not allow Furman to steal one away in the end. This is part of what makes for excellent rivalrys in that even in down years for one of the competitors the games are still highly contested.

asumike83
November 12th, 2012, 09:05 AM
This is comical to me!!! Last week people said ohhh App beat GA Southern and App was the better Team, yata yata... Gave no credit to the fact that had those 3 FGs been made (The only thing that went wrong that would have been a sure thing Disregarding the bad calls and non-safety) It would have been 37-31. But now you talk about how a close game with Furman was all gifts by App to Furman? Really? So two-sided! Part of football is turnovers and if you have two turnovers for a score like App apparently GAVE Furman and like we GAVE Citadel, that's all part of football and you can't say that Furman didn't earn those scores. Most of the app fans on this board think they are the best and no other team should receive ANY credit! I agree a W is a W and an L is an L, but you say that a Furman Matchup that seemingly came down to the end (whether by mistakes or not) was really a blowout despite the score. And also a win against GSU due to 3 missed FGs was all App who was the stronger team that day... Give me a break!

Meanwhile, In the season of giving, Alex Hanks should have received a BIG thank you card from App State since he gift wrapped and delivered a win to App over GSU and also gave you a piece of the trophy!

I think it is comical that several pages of App and Furman fans talking about a great game is completely disregarded by one comment. All of a sudden "most of the App fans on this board" give Furman no credit.

I do agree with the general point though, turnovers are part of football and we've got to take care of the ball. The kick return was just a great play by the best return man in the conference. ASU got sloppy, Furman took advantage but all I care about is that we got the win.

If we are sending cards, we should probably send one to your defensive coordinator too for leaving your 5-9 corner on an island with Sean Price all day. xthumbsupx

Apphole
November 12th, 2012, 09:15 AM

The better team won two weeks in a row.

You should still be thanking Furman for winning the SoCon championship for you last year.

GSUEagles#1
November 12th, 2012, 09:28 AM
The better team won two weeks in a row.

You should still be thanking Furman for winning the SoCon championship for you last year.

We thanked them a few weeks ago with a 2-pt conversion... you didn't hear? xlolx

They probably stopped talking about it when they saw the same kicker miss three FGs against App.

PaladinFan
November 12th, 2012, 09:34 AM
We thanked them a few weeks ago with a 2-pt conversion... you didn't hear? xlolx

They probably stopped talking about it when they saw the same kicker miss three FGs against App.

Don't think Bruce Fowler will forget that either.

asumike83
November 12th, 2012, 09:42 AM
I saw where GSU went for 2 again on Saturday against Howard with 3 minutes left and a 69-26 lead. Anyone know what the deal is with that? Just practicing 2-point situations for the playoffs or what? Seems odd, especially against a team like Howard. They could get better practice against their own scout team than them.

GSUEagles#1
November 12th, 2012, 09:59 AM
I saw where GSU went for 2 again on Saturday against Howard with 3 minutes left and a 69-26 lead. Anyone know what the deal is with that? Just practicing 2-point situations for the playoffs or what? Seems odd, especially against a team like Howard. They could get better practice against their own scout team than them.

Howard jumped offsides twice in a row during our kick for two so it was on the like half yard line... we'd be crazy not to just trie to jump it in.

GSUEagles#1
November 12th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Don't think Bruce Fowler will forget that either.

Well if he looks at the game tapes from the two games after that Chatt and App he would see that there were a combined 5 missed FGs, 4 of which were chip shots... not to mention that had it not been for three of the many missed FGs we have had this season, we would be 10-0 and there would be no discussion of the Autobid... we obviously have an issue with kicking.

Rekdiver
November 12th, 2012, 10:17 AM
I think you need to leave Hanks alone. The inability of your offense to get a 1st down put him in the position to have to kick. Your vaunted offense should never have to kick a field goal. AND as far as the Furman game. It didn't feel like we dominated to me and I was there too. The Furman punter was pretty daggum good too. Turnovers are part of the game and we did not dominate because of them.

Apphole
November 12th, 2012, 10:48 AM
Keep an eye out for America Man in his speedo of freedom. He leads the camera into the masses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atO6vCGN5Bg&feature=youtu.be

PaladinFan
November 12th, 2012, 11:55 AM
I think you need to leave Hanks alone. The inability of your offense to get a 1st down put him in the position to have to kick. Your vaunted offense should never have to kick a field goal. AND as far as the Furman game. It didn't feel like we dominated to me and I was there too. The Furman punter was pretty daggum good too. Turnovers are part of the game and we did not dominate because of them.

Furman has the same problem with Early that App does with Martin. When your kicker graduates, so does your punter and kickoff man.

ASUMountaineer
November 12th, 2012, 12:06 PM

Agreed.

ASUMountaineer
November 12th, 2012, 12:07 PM
I would imagine that you would say Georgia Southern did not "gift" App the win in Statesboro, despite missing three fieldgoals from extremely makeable distances. Teams take advantage of opportunities their opponents give them.

At the end of the day, it is ludicrous to suggest that a 100 yard kick return is not an earned score. Probably the most dangerous kick returner in the league, App had 11 guys on the field, and none of them tackled him. Likewise, it is certainly an earned score when a defender dislodges a football from a receiver and another player returns that for a score.

If App had done those plays you would sing the praises of outstanding special teams and defense. Because Furman pulled off those feats it was a gift. No mention, of course, of the fact that Furman leads the league in kick returns or has scored on defense three times in the past two games. No mention, of course, that App scored two touchdowns directly off Furman fumbles.

You are spot-on. While ASU made mistakes, it's FU's job to capitalize and they did. It was too close for comfort, but a W is a W for us.

ASUMountaineer
November 12th, 2012, 12:10 PM
Well if he looks at the game tapes from the two games after that Chatt and App he would see that there were a combined 5 missed FGs, 4 of which were chip shots... not to mention that had it not been for three of the many missed FGs we have had this season, we would be 10-0 and there would be no discussion of the Autobid... we obviously have an issue with kicking.

We also missed a "gimme" FG against you guys. We also blocked one of your FG's, so now you're only talking about a 3 point swing on missed FG's (in the ASU/GSU game)...so, revisionist history shows that the game would have been tied.

With that said, kickers missing "gimme" FG's drives me absolutely crazy. They have one job--they're not asked to tackle, to throw the ball, to catch the ball, to block, to run the ball. They are asked to kick, and they're supposed to be a "specialist" at it. On the D-I level, kickers should not miss chip shots.

asumike83
November 12th, 2012, 12:30 PM
Furman has the same problem with Early that App does with Martin. When your kicker graduates, so does your punter and kickoff man.

Martin is usually great at kickoffs, gets the vast majority through the end zone for a touchback. When he kicked that one to the front of the end zone, I turned to my friend next to me and said "we are in trouble" before Williams even caught the ball... turned out to be painfully true.

asumike83
November 12th, 2012, 12:51 PM
Cool snapshot of the postgame celebration from GoASU.com:

http://www.goasu.com/pics32/640/UF/UFUTREYOLSHSYUJ.20121111010804.jpg

Apphole
November 12th, 2012, 12:51 PM
We also missed a "gimme" FG against you guys. We also blocked one of your FG's, so now you're only talking about a 3 point swing on missed FG's (in the ASU/GSU game)...so, revisionist history shows that the game would have been tied.

With that said, kickers missing "gimme" FG's drives me absolutely crazy. They have one job--they're not asked to tackle, to throw the ball, to catch the ball, to block, to run the ball. They are asked to kick, and they're supposed to be a "specialist" at it. On the D-I level, kickers should not miss chip shots.

I wouldn't even bother responding. These Stink fans will never stop crying about that loss. They "handed us the win." Never mind our missed easy FG and block. The refs gave us the win because of two calls that were questionable at best. Never mind the lack of holding calls on the edge that day and very generous ball spotting for the Eagles.

No amount of rational posting will cure the butthurt.

seantaylor
November 13th, 2012, 01:07 AM
Again, that FG was not blocked. The ball never got above waist level. Just a horrible kick.

ASUMountaineer
November 13th, 2012, 08:22 AM
Again, that FG was not blocked. The ball never got above waist level. Just a horrible kick.

You should let the GSU SID know that, I'm sure the article would be revised to correct the error.

http://www.gseagles.com/sports/mens/football/headlines/12424-no-1-eagles-fall-to-appalachian-state-31-28

After Alex Hanks' (Marietta, Ga.) 24-yard field goal attempt was blocked as time expired in the first half, Georgia Southern opened the second half with a 12 play 65-yard touchdown drive to regain the lead, 28-24. Youyoute capped off the drive with a 12-yard run, his first rushing touchdown since week two at The Citadel.

GSUEagles#1
November 13th, 2012, 09:00 AM
You should let the GSU SID know that, I'm sure the article would be revised to correct the error.

http://www.gseagles.com/sports/mens/football/headlines/12424-no-1-eagles-fall-to-appalachian-state-31-28

Technically someone gets credit for the block, but like Coach Monken said, the blocker barely had to jump to "block" it and it hit him in the chest.

I am not whining about the loss, I was just reading this thread with some posts about how App GAVE Furman a chance and GAVE them turnovers and GAVE them a Kickoff return and if we were going to talk about giving in the wonderful time of the year, I just made a point to say that by GSU missing 3 FGs (Ok say two since y'all missed an easy one) its like GIVING y'all a piece of the trophy.

Apphole
November 13th, 2012, 09:07 AM
Technically someone gets credit for the block, but like Coach Monken said, the blocker barely had to jump to "block" it and it hit him in the chest.

I am not whining about the loss, I was just whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine

FIFY

B&G
November 13th, 2012, 09:27 AM

I am not whining about the loss, I was just reading this thread with some posts about how App GAVE Furman a chance and GAVE them turnovers and GAVE them a Kickoff return and if we were going to talk about giving in the wonderful time of the year, I just made a point to say that by GSU missing 3 FGs (Ok say two since y'all missed an easy one) its like GIVING y'all a piece of the trophy.

A fair point actually.

asumike83
November 13th, 2012, 09:44 AM

The big difference is that while Furman certainly deserves credit for taking advantage of every opportunity, we overcame our mistakes to win. GSU had their chances to do the same thing and could not.

Water under the bridge at this point, both ASU and GSU need to lock it up and eliminate all the silly mistakes if the SoCon is going to have a representative deep in the playoffs.

ASUMountaineer
November 13th, 2012, 10:52 AM

I didn't touch on this in my post, not sure where that came from.

With that said, GSU missed two kicks and ASU missed one and blocked one of GSU's--making the total points +3 for GSU which means a 31-31 score. I don't know what would have happened in OT, but neither GSU or ASU "gave" any team (ASU, FUrman) anything, IMO. (I can't speak for other posters, but "giving" away a game in these two situations is a ridiculous statement)

As to your actual response to my post, I'm glad we all agree that the kick was indeed blocked.

I-16Bandit
November 13th, 2012, 11:24 AM
With that said, GSU missed two kicks and ASU missed one and blocked one of GSU's--making the total points +3 for GSU which means a 31-31 score. I don't know what would have happened in OT, but neither GSU or ASU "gave" any team (ASU, FUrman) anything, IMO.

Plus the not-safety makes that 33-31, Eagles win. xthumbsupx

xblehx

ASUMountaineer
November 13th, 2012, 12:05 PM
Plus the not-safety makes that 33-31, Eagles win. xthumbsupx

xblehx

xlolx back to the refs. xlolx

TEAM WINS LOSSES
SoCon refs 2 0
GSU 0 2

Maybe the SoCon refs should win the autobid for their victories over you guys the past two seasons during the ASU games. You should consult with Chattown, he can assist you with counting moral victories. xthumbsupx