PDA

View Full Version : Favorite I-AA Columnist, Writer?

TexasTerror
August 10th, 2006, 04:31 PM
Who is your favorite I-AA columnist or writer to read?

Is it your local guy that writes for the daily that covers your football program?

What about Matt D from the Sports Network? Do you like his insight into the I-AA game? Then of course, David Coulson, a consistent visitor to your favorite I-AA radio show, I-AA Waves, who brings all sorts of perspective into things and is currently penning a book on Appy St.

Tired of bias? How about 'Bison' Kent Schmidt who covers the I-AA West from the GWFC to the SLC to the Big Sky and back? No east coast bias to be found!

Perhaps, it's Nick Deriso, everyone's favorite SWAC-ologist who covers Grambling and the SWAC better than anyone out there? Or maybe your particular about Michael R James because you have got Ivy running through you!

You a big fan of Don Hansen by chance? Go crazy over Mr. C? Or do you just have the best SID in the game? Is there anyone of note I'm missing?

Go...gate
August 10th, 2006, 04:35 PM
Otto Fad.

McNeese75
August 10th, 2006, 05:05 PM
Our own Gary Laney with the local Lake Charles American Press :nod:

McTailGator
August 10th, 2006, 05:10 PM
Who is your favorite I-AA columnist or writer to read?

Is it your local guy that writes for the daily that covers your football program?

What about Matt D from the Sports Network? Do you like his insight into the I-AA game? Then of course, David Coulson, a consistent visitor to your favorite I-AA radio show, I-AA Waves, who brings all sorts of perspective into things and is currently penning a book on Appy St.

Tired of bias? How about 'Bison' Kent Schmidt who covers the I-AA West from the GWFC to the SLC to the Big Sky and back? No east coast bias to be found!

Perhaps, it's Nick Deriso, everyone's favorite SWAC-ologist who covers Grambling and the SWAC better than anyone out there? Or maybe your particular about Michael R James because you have got Ivy running through you!

You a big fan of Don Hansen by chance? Go crazy over Mr. C? Or do you just have the best SID in the game? Is there anyone of note I'm missing?

Gary Laney at the Lake Charles American Press is THE best and his paper typically dedicates 3 full color pages of coverage both on game day and on Sunday to McNeese football.

I've only seen better coverage in Lincoln or Omaha Nebraska for the Cornhuskers.

Catmendue2
August 10th, 2006, 05:11 PM
Nick Deriso who else.:hurray: :hurray:

Cap'n Cat
August 10th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Dan McCool

PantherRob82
August 10th, 2006, 06:01 PM
I don't read any of those guys. The message board is my favorite writer. :thumbsup:

carney2
August 10th, 2006, 08:06 PM
[QUOTE=TexasTerror]Who is your favorite I-AA columnist or writer to read?[QUOTE]

Me.

grizband
August 10th, 2006, 08:12 PM
I know he doesn't cover I-AA anymore, but I am partial to Tony Moss, who now covers the NFL for Sportsnetwork.com

Proud Griz Man
August 10th, 2006, 08:20 PM
Bison Kent and the Georgia Southern guy Chuck (on I-AA.org ) are good, and they admit they are homers. Mr. C is good but in denial about being a huge ASU homer. I enjoy commenting on such, and fully expect him to respond and completely deny it all. :nod:

The Lake Charles newspaper and Missoulian are the best local coverage, and could rival some big-city, major program coverage IMO. :bow:

:twocents:

MR. CHICKEN
August 10th, 2006, 08:50 PM
OTTO
MATT
MOSS....IN DUH GOOD OL' I-AA DAYS
AN' DUH NEWS JOURNAL LADS..............:rotateh:......BRAWK!

Sly Fox
August 10th, 2006, 09:18 PM
I-AA Scribe

blukeys
August 10th, 2006, 10:48 PM
I know he doesn't cover I-AA anymore, but I am partial to Tony Moss, who now covers the NFL for Sportsnetwork.com

I think Tony was better than Matt although Matt is still really new and is doing a very credible job.

Tony's best moment was on the ESPN2 selection Sunday Show for 2003. They asked Tony about the brackets and he said that the Delaware - SIU game was the best and most interesting first round game as both teams were ranked in the top 5. They asked Tony about McNeese and he basically said that MCNeese had a decent road to the finals. After all the brackets had been explored I think Tony was unprepared for the question of "Well who do you like to win it All?" Tony cringed for a second and then paused for a while.

He then said "Well, I like Delaware."

It's rare that a reporter can make a prediction and hit it on the nose. I miss Tony but for his sake it is probably best that he got to move on because the accuracy of his pick would be damned difficult to replicate in I-AA football. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

colgate13
August 10th, 2006, 11:05 PM
Me.

Funny, he's my favorite too. :)

August 11th, 2006, 12:18 AM
hmmm... the 2006 I-AA.org staff:
David Coulson
Kent Schmidt
Chuck Burton
Nick Deriso
Bruce Dowd
Ralph Wallace

elkmcc
August 11th, 2006, 07:53 AM
Mr. C and Ralph. Both know their stuff and I trust what they write. Matt does a good job but not quite up to Tony Moss's level, yet. A few of our local writers are becomming rather knowledgeable about our division of football but I attribute a lot of that to good ole AGS. Keep up the good work boys!

Pard4Life
August 11th, 2006, 07:56 AM
I like reading Chuck Burton's material... good stuff for a Lehigh grad/fan.

GeauxLions94
August 11th, 2006, 10:03 AM

I'll second that. :thumbsup: :nod: :thumbsup: :nod: :thumbsup: :nod:

MACHIAVELLI
August 11th, 2006, 11:23 AM
Nick Deriso who else.:hurray: :hurray:

Who??

nickderiso
August 11th, 2006, 11:30 AM
Who??

That was a typo. It's spelled: Schiefelbein.

Ivytalk
August 11th, 2006, 01:31 PM
The New York Times reporter who covers Harvard-Yale each year (Berkow?) does a great job.

AppGuy04
August 11th, 2006, 01:33 PM
Mr. C, he tells it like it is!

IaaScribe
August 11th, 2006, 01:33 PM
I-AA Scribe

Well, that was awful nice of you. Thanks. :)

MYTAPPY
August 11th, 2006, 01:37 PM
Mr. C, of course.
Ralph
Tommy Bowman (he just covers App though)

IaaScribe
August 11th, 2006, 02:37 PM
Serious question, because I really don't know the answer. Which paper gives the best Western Carolina coverage? I know Asheville covers them. Anybody else?

Catmendue2
August 11th, 2006, 02:48 PM
Who??

Okay, MACH then:smiley_wi

Mr. C
August 11th, 2006, 03:28 PM
Serious question, because I really don't know the answer. Which paper gives the best Western Carolina coverage? I know Asheville covers them. Anybody else?
The Asheville Citizen-Times is about the only newspaper that covers them on a regular basis (the closest paper in Sylva is a tiny weekly, fish wrap). Beat writer Tyler Goode does a yeoman's job and Keith Jarrett (not the jazz pianist) has year of experience and will tell it like it is as a columnist (though the tell it like it is part sometimes gets under the skin of Catamount alums). Tommy Bowman, a solid ASU beat writer, writes occasional articles about them for the Winston-Salem Journal, but the WSJ doesn't regularly staff WCU games. I used to write occasional articles about the Catamounts for the Charlotte Observer, though the Observer has slid backwards in all of its college and prep coverage as it has focused more and more and more attention on the Hornets (now gone), the Panthers and now the Bobcats.

Mr. C
August 11th, 2006, 03:37 PM
Matt does a good job but not quite up to Tony Moss's level, yet. A few of our local writers are becomming rather knowledgeable about our division of football but I attribute a lot of that to good ole AGS. Keep up the good work boys!
Matt has done a great job in furthering I-AA football and has shown A LOT of growth in his time on the job. He is a hard worker and it shows in his writing. I'd take Matt over Tony any day. For one, Matt is a lot more humble and does a better job of getting along with people. Tony, while somewhat knowledgable, was at times arogant and did some things that were highly unprofessional in working with others in the media. He had a very strong anti-I-AA.org bias that has been destroyed since Matt has been around. I can tell you that the relationship between I-AA.org and The Sports Network has never been better and Matt is a mjor reason for that. He understands that we all are trying to enhance things in this brand of football.

IaaScribe
August 11th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Appreciate that, Mr. C. Just wanted to know who to check out to read up on WCU when they make a trip up to my neck of the woods in November.

Mr. C
August 11th, 2006, 04:17 PM
Tyler and Keith are both good guys and assets to the I-AA community.

Some of my favorite I-AA beat writers (guys that don't get nearly enough credit for the work they do) are:

Gary Laney in Lake Charles, Don Heath of the Savannah Morning News and Jon Kasper when he was with the Missoulian in Montana. Rick Bailey, who covers I-AA for the Lexington, Ky. newspaper (he does both WKU and EKU), is another one at the top of the class. John O'Connor, at the Richmond Times-Dispatch, is also very well respected among fellow writers and coaches (VMI's Jim Reid was singing O'Connor's praises a couple of weeks ago). O'Connor covers teams like William & Mary, Richmond and James Madison. I haven't seen a lot of his work, but Kevin Tressaloni up in Delaware also gets a lot of high marks.

IaaScribe
August 11th, 2006, 04:32 PM
John O'Connor is good people.

McNeese72
August 11th, 2006, 06:18 PM
I wouldn't trade Gary Laney for anyone else.

Doc

Tod
August 11th, 2006, 07:14 PM
Mr. C
Ralph
Kent
The Missoulian Sports Staff...

...89Hen...:o pisses me off sometimes, but the man knows his *****. :p

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

mikebigg
August 11th, 2006, 08:27 PM
TT Said:

"Perhaps, it's Nick Deriso, everyone's favorite SWAC-ologist who covers Grambling and the SWAC better than anyone out there? "

MB Says: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

Nick Deriso's coverage of Grambling & being a cool azz "Sicilian" (whaddup homie):bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

mikebigg
August 11th, 2006, 08:28 PM

Yeah, but he's too biased!xlolx xlolx

Good coverage though!

McNeese75
August 11th, 2006, 10:35 PM
Yeah, but he's too biased!xlolx xlolx

Good coverage though!

xidiotx

WUTNDITWAA
August 11th, 2006, 11:46 PM
John O'Connor can get the most into a 10" newshole.
That Coulson guy isn't bad
Tommy Bowman is a heck of an ASU beat reporter

elkmcc
August 12th, 2006, 12:02 AM
Tyler and Keith are both good guys and assets to the I-AA community.

Some of my favorite I-AA beat writers (guys that don't get nearly enough credit for the work they do) are:

Gary Laney in Lake Charles, Don Heath of the Savannah Morning News and Jon Kasper when he was with the Missoulian in Montana. ...

Kasper was ahead of his time in Missoula. Before Kasper little was ever written up locally about other programs outside of the BSC. I was bummed when he left for a full time job with the BSC. (I also liked him because he gave my daughter a lot of press during her soccer carreer.)

mikebigg
August 12th, 2006, 08:51 AM
xidiotx

I was just being sarcastic...he does a good job. Not as good as Deriso coverage of Grambling:D , but good!:thumbsup: