PDA

View Full Version : New Rules for College Football Fans

Marcus Garvey
August 10th, 2006, 10:29 AM
This was on ESPN.com. Pat Forde's new rules for college football fans. While ESPN covers I-A almost exclusively, most of these rules apply to fans in I-AA as well. Oh, if you think you're not guilty of at least one of these rules, then you're only lying to yourself:

New Rules: 23 steps to gridiron sanity (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=2544246)

GannonFan
August 10th, 2006, 10:36 AM
Well, besides my name not actually being Gannon, I can safely say I already follow those rules - kudos to me! ;)

Cap'n Cat
August 10th, 2006, 10:37 AM
This was on ESPN.com. Pat Forde's new rules for college football fans. While ESPN covers I-A almost exclusively, most of these rules apply to fans in I-AA as well. Oh, if you think you're not guilty of at least one of these rules, then you're only lying to yourself:

New Rules: 23 steps to gridiron sanity (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=2544246)

BRILLIANT!!!!

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

JMU2K_DukeDawg
August 10th, 2006, 10:41 AM
A couple shots at the I-AA system there with the references to the playoffs and the "chump" team that might beat you on your home opener.

Can't wait to see how our "chumps" will do this year!

PaladinFan
August 10th, 2006, 10:52 AM
I believe that Furman's offensive coorfinator has feelings. I just don't believe he sometimes has brains.

Marcus Garvey
August 10th, 2006, 01:03 PM
A couple shots at the I-AA system there with the references to the playoffs and the "chump" team that might beat you on your home opener.

Can't wait to see how our "chumps" will do this year!

I-AA teams play "chump" teams too! Youngstown State!!! I'm looking in your direction! :thumbsup: You too Delaware!

GannonFan
August 10th, 2006, 01:20 PM
I-AA teams play "chump" teams too! Youngstown State!!! I'm looking in your direction! :thumbsup: You too Delaware!

Now now, you can make the list of teams who don't play a single chump much easier than you can the list of teams who do chumps. Pretty much every I-AA schedule has one chump on it, save for a few masochists here and there. No need to just pick out two teams and leave it at that. :nono: :nono: :nono:

Marcus Garvey
August 10th, 2006, 01:52 PM
Now now, you can make the list of teams who don't play a single chump much easier than you can the list of teams who do chumps. Pretty much every I-AA schedule has one chump on it, save for a few masochists here and there. No need to just pick out two teams and leave it at that. :nono: :nono: :nono:

Actually, I picked out two teams that do it consistently. And Forde does have a point. If UD were to lose to West Chester, you can start making plans for Thanksgiving weekend with the in-laws! xlolx

Ivytalk
August 10th, 2006, 02:10 PM
Nice job, Forde!

Will any AGSers start using their real names on this board? (I won't; I've always hated my real first name and am considering changing it to "Ivytalk".);)

dbackjon
August 10th, 2006, 02:58 PM
Nice job, Forde!

Will any AGSers start using their real names on this board? (I won't; I've always hated my real first name and am considering changing it to "Ivytalk".);)

You mean the thread wasn't started by the real Marcus Garvey?? :confused:

LacesOut
August 10th, 2006, 03:19 PM
Best one by far, IMO.......

New Rule: If the scoreboard says you lost, you lost. That's not going to change. Take an hour to vent postgame, then try to regain your sanity. Do not diminish your quality of life -- and the quality of life of those around you -- by spewing for days about the refs who cheated your team, the flagrant league bias against your team or the complete lack of class displayed by the team that beat your team. Your team l-o-s-t. Try to deal.

GannonFan
August 10th, 2006, 03:30 PM
Actually, I picked out two teams that do it consistently. And Forde does have a point. If UD were to lose to West Chester, you can start making plans for Thanksgiving weekend with the in-laws! xlolx

Untrue - actually, the last two times that UD lost to West Chester were 1992 and 1988 - UD went on to the national semifinals in 1992 and won the Yankee and lost a close first round game in 1988. I'd take a loss to West Chester if we could get back to the semi's this year! :)

Marcus Garvey
August 10th, 2006, 03:43 PM
Untrue - actually, the last two times that UD lost to West Chester were 1992 and 1988 - UD went on to the national semifinals in 1992 and won the Yankee and lost a close first round game in 1988. I'd take a loss to West Chester if we could get back to the semi's this year! :)

What they did in '88 is unlikely to happen again. 1992 was a long time ago, and the selection comittee takes a much dimmer view on DII losses today. In '88 you were 7-4 with 2 conference losses. That is bloodly unlikely to get you in the playoffs today.

The gap between UD and the PSAC is much larger today. A UD loss to WCU = long f'ing season for Blue Hen fans.