PDA

View Full Version : I-AA to I-A Transfers

Tribefan
August 10th, 2006, 07:05 AM
If a player transfers from a I-AA to I-A school, does they player have to sit out a year? If so, what is the rationale for that?

UNH 40
August 10th, 2006, 07:08 AM
Yes. They have to sit out a year. The reason for this is so that I-A teams can recruit the good I-AA players and entice them to leave to play I-A without a penalty. In my opinion all players that transfer should be penalized.

DUPFLFan
August 10th, 2006, 08:15 AM
In my opinion all players that transfer should be penalized.

I agree - if we are all Division 1 then transfers should not go from 1-A to 1-AA either without penalty.

GannonFan
August 10th, 2006, 10:45 AM
I'm actually for as many lax rules as possible when it comes to player transfers, especially if players are stuck at a school after a new coaching regime comes in. Realistically, these are supposed to be students first and there's no rule preventing non-football playing students from transferring. I think we need to be careful when we start to put the needs of the football side of the colleges ahead of that of the student/academic side of the colleges. With that said, I think the current restrictions are more than adequate and necessary - sitting out a year going to another I-A school prevents rampant free agency at that level, and sitting out a year going from I-AA to I-A prevents wholesale poaching of I-AA's best talent. Not sitting out for going from I-A to I-AA does give kids somewhat of an outlet should a situation go sour for them at the I-A school, especially considering the coaching turnover at that level.

Lionsrking
August 10th, 2006, 11:14 AM
Realistically, these are supposed to be students first and there's no rule preventing non-football playing students from transferring.

Non-football playing students don't sign a letters of intent committing to participate in athletics at a particular school either. There's no law preventing a student-athlete from transferring to another school, they just have to abide by the rules set forth by the NCAA regarding transfers and eligibility. They know the drill going in, or at least they should.

smallcollegefbfan
August 10th, 2006, 11:31 AM
If a player transfers from a I-AA to I-A school, does they player have to sit out a year? If so, what is the rationale for that?

I agree with GannonFan. I think I-A is a good level and a player can go there and be completely happy. I also think that something can go wrong and there is nothing wrong with letting a player transfer down if things go bad. There have been quality players transfer from I-AA to I-A early in their career and do well though. Former Idaho State punter Kyle McQuown, an All-Big Sky performer, left and sat out at Arizona last year. He will probably end up starting and being All-Pac 10. He was one of the best in I-AA two years ago. He is the only one I know of recently off the top of my head. Anyone else know of a player who did that in the last two years?

smallcollegefbfan
August 10th, 2006, 11:36 AM
I do remember an All-American pick in NAIA a few years ago Owen Schmitt who left for West Virginia. He is one of the top fullbacks in I-A right now and he started at River Falls. I remembered him a few years ago and when I saw him on TV last year I felt that was a great example of how there is talent at every level.

BTW, Ralph, I was talking to someone yesterday who was calling a I-A team Division 1 and then calling I-AA schools just I-AA. I don't get it. How do you put the one in I-AA but yet try to put them at a different level from the I-A schools. I told them about the division name changes and they were like oh really and then moved on. I don't think the name change is going to affect I-A people. I still think people are going to call it I-A. What is funny is that if I said an NAIA player could start in I-A they would never believe me yet one of them is actually one of the top fullbacks in I-A. Funny how a player who transfers down is always expected to help the lowly small school but when a player transfers up they don't expect much out of them.