PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Power Rankings 11-5

JALMOND
November 7th, 2012, 01:19 AM
So late with these, a thousand apologies. Trying to wait and see if the picture will get any clearer isn't going to work this year (no MSU/NAU game to make some sense out of the insanity). But we are getting some sense of who are the top teams in the Big Sky this year. Two weeks left. Here are the Big Sky power rankings for this weekend (last week in parenthesis). As usual, all are based on my opinions only and we should have some great discussions I would think. Have at them.

1. Montana State (1)---The Bobcats rallied late in the fourth again, like they've done so many times this year. This time was on the road at Sacramento State gaining a well deserved win. This week they are back home to face Portland State. Hopefully no late game heroics.

2. Northern Arizona (2)---In a game that was pretty much over before it began, the Lumberjacks went in to Idaho State and came out victorious, but then who doesn't really. They were able to speed things up again, which will help this weekend as they entertain on and off Southern Utah.

3. Eastern Washington (3)---The Eagles recovered from their puzzling loss at Southern Utah to resoundingly beat Cal Poly at home last week. Things may be getting back to normal for the Eagles just in time for the playoffs, but first they must play UC-Davis at home.

4. Sacramento State (4)---The Hornets had Montana State pretty much dead to rights before giving up the lead in the fourth quarter. It sure feels like they should have won but just came up close. They take this weekend off to prepare for their rivalry game with UC-Davis in two weeks.

5. Cal Poly (5)---Flying high for a long while this year, the Mustangs now are on a two game losing streak, thanks in part to Eastern Washington not being too good of hosts last week. How that will fare in the eyes of the playoff committee remains to be seen but this weekend they return home for a date with Idaho State.

6. Montana (7)---The Grizzlies built a pretty big margin then had to withstand a late charge at Weber State in order to secure the win. It wasn't pretty but it kept their hopes for a strong finish alive. They are now off this weekend to prepare for their big rival Montana State the following week.

7. North Dakota (8)---The Dakotans welcomed the conference's Jeckyl and Hyde team in Southern Utah and turned it into a big home win. They also would like to finish strong and lay the groundwork for next year. They are off this week and will face Northern Colorado in two weeks.

8. Southern Utah (6)---Up and down, up and down, is the best way to describe the Thunderbirds first season in the Big Sky. Following a huge win against Eastern Washington, they fell on the road last week at North Dakota. This week is the week to be strong as they finish up at Northern Arizona.

9. Weber State (10)---The Wildcats have only one win on their plate so far, but they gave Montana all they could handle and almost got a win out of it. Even with the season winding down, there is still a good chance for a win. This week they bring in Northern Colorado.

10. Northern Colorado (11)---What better way for the Bears to make up for a somewhat bad season than to play at Portland State, a place they have had some success. Then they were able to escape with a win. Now to build on it, they head over to Weber State this weekend.

11. Portland State (9)---The Vikings built a big lead at home over Northern Colorado, only to sit back in the second half and watch the Bears take the game away from them. Things do not get any easier for them as they go on the road to Montana State this weekend.

12. UC-Davis (12)---The Aggies took a week off to regroup and come back this week to make some noise and play spoiler. They start their last two games at Eastern Washington this weekend and finish against their rival, Sacramento State the following weekend.

13. Idaho State (13)---The Bengals surrendered 50 points to Northern Arizona and did not come anywhere near that point total themselves, falling in disappointing fashion at home. They will need to figure something out this weekend as they go to Cal Poly.

bobcathpdevil56
November 7th, 2012, 09:49 AM
Thanks JALMOND, always a good read. And always accurate

UNDBIZ
November 7th, 2012, 10:19 AM
My take....

1. Montana State - Heatin up
2. Eastern Washington - Back on track
3. Northern Arizona - Still untested, but with a favorable schedule they're likely to win the BSC
4. Cal Poly - 2 tough road games, looking to get back on track this week
5. Sac State - After a big win at home vs. Cal Poly they let one slip away against MSU. Likely out of the playoffs
6. North Dakota - Still a terrible defense, but they did enough to pull out the win over SUU
7. Southern Utah - After an emotional EWU win, they don't do enough to leave Grand Forks with a W
8. Montana - Winning games vs the bottom of the conference and losing all the rest
9. Northern Colorado - xdontknowx
10. Portland State - xdontknowx
11. Cal Davis - xdontknowx
12. Weber State - They keep the games close.... and then they usually lose
13. Idaho State - xstretchx

wapiti
November 7th, 2012, 10:20 AM
1. Montana State ---Nice road win for MSU over a good Sac State team. Has 7 Div 1 wins.

2. Northern Arizona ---Got the easy win over ISU. Has 7 Div 1 wins.

3. Eastern Washington ---Should be put in a tie with NAU for 2nd, but I do not like to put ties in the rankings. Has 7 Div 1 wins.

4. Sacramento State ---Tough loss at home, but it was to the #1 ranked team. Needs one more Div 1 win.

5. Cal Poly ---2nd loss in a row for CP. They will probably need at least one more win to make the playoffs, but they do have 7 div 1 wins.

6. North Dakota ---Good win over SUU.

7. Southern Utah ---Tough road loss to ND.

8. Montana ---Earned a road win over the BBQ.

9. Weber State ---Nearly pulled the W over UM.

10. Northern Colorado ---Road win over PSU bumps NC up one spot in the rankings.

11. Portland State ---The loss at home hurt PSU.

12. UC-Davis ---Has a bye week to prepare for EWU.

13. Idaho State ---

Screamin_Eagle174
November 7th, 2012, 02:02 PM
My take....

1. Montana State - Heatin up
2. Eastern Washington - Back on track
3. Northern Arizona - Still untested, but with a favorable schedule they're likely to win the BSC
4. Cal Poly - 2 tough road games, looking to get back on track this week
5. Sac State - After a big win at home vs. Cal Poly they let one slip away against MSU. Likely out of the playoffs
6. North Dakota - Still a terrible defense, but they did enough to pull out the win over SUU
7. Southern Utah - After an emotional EWU win, they don't do enough to leave Grand Forks with a W
8. Montana - Winning games vs the bottom of the conference and losing all the rest
9. Northern Colorado - xdontknowx
10. Portland State - xdontknowx
11. Cal Davis - xdontknowx
12. Weber State - They keep the games close.... and then they usually lose
13. Idaho State - xstretchx

How is MSU heating up? They were what, +3 or +4 in turnovers against Sac, and still barely escaped with a win? I have a feeling the Brawl is going to smack them upside the head...

bisonnation
November 7th, 2012, 02:07 PM
I would move Eastern Washington up to#2; very very good, especially at home

darell1976
November 7th, 2012, 03:28 PM
So late with these, a thousand apologies. Trying to wait and see if the picture will get any clearer isn't going to work this year (no MSU/NAU game to make some sense out of the insanity). But we are getting some sense of who are the top teams in the Big Sky this year. Two weeks left. Here are the Big Sky power rankings for this weekend (last week in parenthesis). As usual, all are based on my opinions only and we should have some great discussions I would think. Have at them.

1. Montana State (1)---The Bobcats rallied late in the fourth again, like they've done so many times this year. This time was on the road at Sacramento State gaining a well deserved win. This week they are back home to face Portland State. Hopefully no late game heroics.

2. Northern Arizona (2)---In a game that was pretty much over before it began, the Lumberjacks went in to Idaho State and came out victorious, but then who doesn't really. They were able to speed things up again, which will help this weekend as they entertain on and off Southern Utah.

3. Eastern Washington (3)---The Eagles recovered from their puzzling loss at Southern Utah to resoundingly beat Cal Poly at home last week. Things may be getting back to normal for the Eagles just in time for the playoffs, but first they must play UC-Davis at home.

4. Sacramento State (4)---The Hornets had Montana State pretty much dead to rights before giving up the lead in the fourth quarter. It sure feels like they should have won but just came up close. They take this weekend off to prepare for their rivalry game with UC-Davis in two weeks.

5. Cal Poly (5)---Flying high for a long while this year, the Mustangs now are on a two game losing streak, thanks in part to Eastern Washington not being too good of hosts last week. How that will fare in the eyes of the playoff committee remains to be seen but this weekend they return home for a date with Idaho State.

6. Montana (7)---The Grizzlies built a pretty big margin then had to withstand a late charge at Weber State in order to secure the win. It wasn't pretty but it kept their hopes for a strong finish alive. They are now off this weekend to prepare for their big rival Montana State the following week.

7. North Dakota (8)---The Dakotans welcomed the conference's Jeckyl and Hyde team in Southern Utah and turned it into a big home win. They also would like to finish strong and lay the groundwork for next year. They are off this week and will face Northern Colorado in two weeks.

8. Southern Utah (6)---Up and down, up and down, is the best way to describe the Thunderbirds first season in the Big Sky. Following a huge win against Eastern Washington, they fell on the road last week at North Dakota. This week is the week to be strong as they finish up at Northern Arizona.

9. Weber State (10)---The Wildcats have only one win on their plate so far, but they gave Montana all they could handle and almost got a win out of it. Even with the season winding down, there is still a good chance for a win. This week they bring in Northern Colorado.

10. Northern Colorado (11)---What better way for the Bears to make up for a somewhat bad season than to play at Portland State, a place they have had some success. Then they were able to escape with a win. Now to build on it, they head over to Weber State this weekend.

11. Portland State (9)---The Vikings built a big lead at home over Northern Colorado, only to sit back in the second half and watch the Bears take the game away from them. Things do not get any easier for them as they go on the road to Montana State this weekend.

12. UC-Davis (12)---The Aggies took a week off to regroup and come back this week to make some noise and play spoiler. They start their last two games at Eastern Washington this weekend and finish against their rival, Sacramento State the following weekend.

13. Idaho State (13)---The Bengals surrendered 50 points to Northern Arizona and did not come anywhere near that point total themselves, falling in disappointing fashion at home. They will need to figure something out this weekend as they go to Cal Poly.

Flip UND and Montana around and thats how I would rank them.

UNDBIZ
November 7th, 2012, 04:16 PM
How is MSU heating up? They were what, +3 or +4 in turnovers against Sac, and still barely escaped with a win? I have a feeling the Brawl is going to smack them upside the head...

Sac St has been playing better recently and MSU found a way to win on the road, I'm not going to penalize them for that. When I say heating up I'm referring to getting back to winning after a loss to the Eagles. Did Sac just give MSU the ball or did the Cats take it? Are you wanting me to place EWU above MSU after EWU's recent loss to a mediocre SUU?

Edit: I didn't watch the MSU-Sac St game, but looking at the stat line it would appear the Cats killed themselves with penalties (12-133). That's obviously something they'll need to clean up if they want to have any success in the playoffs.