PDA

View Full Version : Sleeper Picks

Maddog
August 9th, 2006, 06:42 PM
Who are your sleeper picks to make some serious noise i n DI-AA this year?

TexasTerror
August 9th, 2006, 06:53 PM
I've always found Southeastern Louisiana to be a dangerous squad. I think they can easily make some noise in the SLC this year and really throw things for a loop, possibly contend for the SLC title if they play their cards right and can make it through that tough OOC...

Win the SLC title, get in the I-AA playoffs...you got a shot! Nicholls St can fly in out of nowhere either. Possibly could've beat Furman last year. Fell to them 14-12 in a game I think they should've won. Yes, they lose their QB, but will have a tough squad with two of the best backs in their backfield that you can find in the nation...

GaSouthern
August 9th, 2006, 06:54 PM
Western Carolina!!!!!
They can be scary at times, and if they can keep it together through a season they can easily de-throne a big three member (I hope its not us this year!)

griz37
August 9th, 2006, 07:09 PM
I am going w/Idaho St. The last couple of years they have been so close to getting over the hump. I think this year Michigan QB Matt Guiteriez actually gets them into the playoffs & a 2nd place Big Sky finish.

CatFan22
August 9th, 2006, 07:17 PM
ISU isn't even really a sleeper anymore with all the talk surrounding them. Go with MSU if you know whats good for ya! ;)

DTSpider
August 9th, 2006, 07:28 PM
W&M could be trouble. Returning QB gives Laycock an edge. They're picked in the bottom half of the A10, and one team always comes through.

SO ILLmatic
August 9th, 2006, 07:38 PM
The Bears from Missouri State. They will not be able to win all of their conference games, but i'm sure they will surprise a few teams.

Tod
August 9th, 2006, 08:14 PM
ISU isn't even really a sleeper anymore with all the talk surrounding them. Go with MSU if you know whats good for ya! ;)

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

True! I expect MSU to be their usual, troublesome selves in the 'Sky.

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nonono2: :D

AppGuy04
August 9th, 2006, 08:23 PM
I'm gonna go with Western Carolina as well.

golionsgo
August 9th, 2006, 08:33 PM
I've always found Southeastern Louisiana to be a dangerous squad. I think they can easily make some noise in the SLC this year and really throw things for a loop, possibly contend for the SLC title if they play their cards right and can make it through that tough OOC...

Win the SLC title, get in the I-AA playoffs...you got a shot! Nicholls St can fly in out of nowhere either. Possibly could've beat Furman last year. Fell to them 14-12 in a game I think they should've won. Yes, they lose their QB, but will have a tough squad with two of the best backs in their backfield that you can find in the nation...

I guess we qualify as a sleeper since we're not expected to do much and there's no great team in the SLC this year but I think our best bet will be next year or the year after.

Umass74
August 9th, 2006, 08:53 PM
My sleeper pick in the A10 is Maine. No one noticed, but Maine went to a spread offense against UMass in their 7th game last year. After scoring 2 points total against JMU and Hofstra, they scored 14 against the #1 scoring defense in the nation with UMass and averaged 28 points a game after that. They won three of their last four and the one loss was a 59-47 barn burner against New Hampshire.

With Whitcomb back and playing the spread, the Black Bears are my pick to make some noise in 2006.

bjtheflamesfan
August 9th, 2006, 09:01 PM
Id say that for the Big South our sleeper would probably be Charleston Southern. They had their first winning season ever last year and they have a lot of their good players returning this year.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 9th, 2006, 09:18 PM
Someone from the PL since no team is going to start the season in the top 25. My homer pick is Lehigh of course since all of a sudden they're considered second fiddle to Lafayette and Colgate.

GreatAppSt
August 9th, 2006, 09:35 PM
Beware the Colonels at EKU this year!!!

igo4uni
August 9th, 2006, 10:23 PM
Illinois State.

GOKATS
August 9th, 2006, 10:32 PM

Well said, can't argue a bit. :thumbsup:

Mr. C
August 9th, 2006, 10:46 PM
Everyone is already taking my picks, but here it goes:
A-10: Towson
Big Sky: Idaho State
Gateway: Missouri State (I have a lot of respect for Terry Allen)
Great West: Don't overlook South Dakota State and their strong running game
OVC: Eastern Kentucky really isn't a sleeper, but people don't know how good this team can be.
SoCon: Western Carolina could finally make the leap into playoff contention behind App State and Furman
Southland: Southeastern Louisiana could surprise people. Nicholls State can be real good, if the Colonels find a QB to run their option.

AppGuy04
August 9th, 2006, 11:05 PM
Beware the Colonels at EKU this year!!!

I wonder why;)

The Gadfly
August 10th, 2006, 02:36 PM
I predicted Charleston Southern last year in Le Sud Grande and this year it will be .... Hell I don't really care. HURRY UP AND VOTE US IN SoCon!!!:bawling:

PaladinFan
August 10th, 2006, 02:52 PM
WCU has knocked off one of the big three in Cullowhee each of the past two years. This year I say GSU goes up and gets knocked off (their turn). They could also have a solid shot up upsetting App. at home. I think beating Furman on the road will be a tough challenge, they won't catch the Paladins sleeping twice.

How many years though has Western been thought ready to make an entrance on the national scene? They need to start dancing.

Saint3333
August 10th, 2006, 02:58 PM
I'll say UTC instead of WCU.

Hey UTC just run the ball more and watch what happens.

PaladinFan
August 10th, 2006, 03:01 PM
UTC, with just a bit more discipline, would be one of the scarier teams in the conference. I don't think anyone matches with them physically, but the penalties and miscues begin to mount up. Until they figure out the intangibles, their physical ability will never put them into the top 3.

Ronbo
August 10th, 2006, 03:03 PM
In the Big Sky Portland State, ISU, MSU, and EWU will all finish ahead of the Griz. We will pretty much suck.

RabidRabbit
August 10th, 2006, 03:56 PM
In the Big Sky Portland State, ISU, MSU, and EWU will all finish ahead of the Griz. We will pretty much suck.

:D Just the Sleepers, please. Sandbagging is not a Grizzled talent xlolx

Sleepers would be
A-10 - W&M
SoCon - UT-Chatty
OVC - Jax St
SLC - SeLA
Big South - Chuck St.
Gateway - Mo St
Big Sky - Mt St
Great West - SUU (when not predicted to win D-I games, nowhere to go but up)
Pioneer - Drake
SWAC - Grambling
MEAC - SC St.

Frosty The Snowbuff
August 10th, 2006, 04:03 PM

"sure"

GOKATS
August 10th, 2006, 04:09 PM

:waawaa: :bawling:

birdsflyhigh
August 10th, 2006, 04:34 PM
Seems like a few people have turned on to MO St. now that they have Terry Allen as their new coach. I think the Bears will be pretty darn good He's a great hire for the program, but he's going to have some TOUGH sledding in what could be the best Gateway in recent memory.

MO St. will be very competitive, but if we are talking "national" suprises, then I think Illinois State will be the team to do some serious damage nationally. It should be a whale of a season for ALL the Gateway teams with the possible exception of Indiana State. :nod:

PantherRob82
August 10th, 2006, 06:36 PM
agreed. we need to trade indiana state.

Mr. C
August 10th, 2006, 09:22 PM
Seems like a few people have turned on to MO St. now that they have Terry Allen as their new coach. I think the Bears will be pretty darn good He's a great hire for the program, but he's going to have some TOUGH sledding in what could be the best Gateway in recent memory.

MO St. will be very competitive, but if we are talking "national" suprises, then I think Illinois State will be the team to do some serious damage nationally. It should be a whale of a season for ALL the Gateway teams with the possible exception of Indiana State. :nod:
Can a team considered to be among the top 10 in the country preseason be considered a sleeper pick? Illinois State had the most talented team in the Gateway last season, according to many and should be just as talented this year, with a season of experience to boot.

GSUhooligan
August 10th, 2006, 09:31 PM
Georgia Southern

I know historically, GSU has never been called a sleeper, but considering how EVERYONE on this board has already written us off before a down of football has been played, when GSU ends up "making some noise" this year, everyone SHOULD be surprised...:rolleyes:

FargoBison
August 10th, 2006, 09:34 PM
My Sleepers
Weber St
Idaho St
Western Carolina

colgate13
August 10th, 2006, 11:07 PM
Fordham.

BaylorTitan
August 10th, 2006, 11:16 PM
NW ST.!!!!!

Pard4Life
August 11th, 2006, 08:22 AM
Lehigh... everyone is writing them off when they essentially have a core of their team returning.. plus an outstanding coach and the preception of disprespect might propel the Mountain Hawks to great heights... altho Colgate and the Pards will have somethign to say...

Maroons
August 11th, 2006, 08:56 AM
Thanks for the love. I hope EKU makes some noise this year. I certainly feel like we have the potential.

In the OVC, I don't think anyone would be surprised if EKU, EIU or JaxState emerge as conference champs... but my sleeper team is Samford. They return 54 lettermen, 20 starters and have both EKU and EIU at home. I believe they also have some impact transfers. No one is expecting much from them (after all, they lost to the top 3 OVC teams by a combined score of 40-107 last year) but they should be much better this year. They chould shake things up.

Bulldog87
August 11th, 2006, 09:08 AM
Norfolk State has 7 or 8 home games this year. There's lot's of talk in Tally that FAMU is back. Jackson State fans seem to be high on there club this year. Not many SoCon folks are talking about Wofford but folks in Spartanburg seem to have a quiet confidence about this squad. Hope if it's true it'll be after Sept 2. Can Charleston Southern ride the wave of last year's title share. Some people in this area see an out right title for the BUCS.