View Full Version : CAA Two Bad Moves!

Go Apps
November 6th, 2012, 09:45 AM
Hey you let ODU steal one of your playoff bids and go to FBS next year

You let Georgia State drag you down on the GPI on their way to the FBS

Next Up UNCC

superman7515
November 6th, 2012, 09:52 AM
How did ODU steal one of the CAA playoff spots? They're not eligible for the AQ, and that is the only "playoff spot" any conference truly has. As for Georgia State bringing down the GPI on their way to FBS, I'm as concerned about the GPI as an Albany fan.

Go Apps
November 6th, 2012, 10:23 AM
How did ODU steal one of the CAA playoff spots? They're not eligible for the AQ, and that is the only "playoff spot" any conference truly has. As for Georgia State bringing down the GPI on their way to FBS, I'm as concerned about the GPI as an Albany fan.

I think that Richmond, Villanova or JMU would likely have earned the spot and possibly 2 of these teams joining N. Hampshire

Twentysix
November 6th, 2012, 10:31 AM
I think that Richmond, Villanova or JMU would likely have earned the spot and possibly 2 of these teams joining N. Hampshire

FCS playoff rulebook selection criteria and rules:

2. There is no limit to the number of teams the committee may select from one conference;

Superman wins.

Unless you are saying had these teams not played ODU and had they played another team instead they would have a better record, thus warranting an atlarge.

HailSzczur
November 6th, 2012, 11:04 AM
The only way I can see ODU taking spots away from other CAA teams is if you're try and tell me that TU/NOVA/JMU/RICH get to 8 wins a lot easier with someone like GaSt/RI/W&M on the schedule instead. But then you get into the argument of would they be a strong enough 8-3 team. Fact of the matter is that ODU is very good football team and gets a playoff spot regardless of conference.

RichH2
November 6th, 2012, 11:17 AM
Agree w Supe this is a nonissue. Unless one expects 6 CAA teams to be in.

Go Apps
November 6th, 2012, 11:18 AM
The only way I can see ODU taking spots away from other CAA teams is if you're try and tell me that TU/NOVA/JMU/RICH get to 8 wins a lot easier with someone like GaSt/RI/W&M on the schedule instead. But then you get into the argument of would they be a strong enough 8-3 team. Fact of the matter is that ODU is very good football team and gets a playoff spot regardless of conference.

The issue is that ODU is passing thru your conference on their way to the FBS - is is a shame that they can even make the playoffs as they have no interest in the FCS - your other schools are committed - so yes they are taking a spot

ODUsmitty
November 6th, 2012, 11:31 AM
ODU has fully embraced our FCS and CAA experience, and has sold out our stadium for four straight years to prove it. An opportunity came along (earlier than many of us would have predicted) that allows us to move to FBS. You'd do the same, given the opportunity.

Quit whining like some jilted chubby manipulative girl that did not get a date to the prom. It is unbecoming of someone representing the fanbase of a storied and well-respected FCS power like Appy State.

bostonspider
November 6th, 2012, 11:32 AM
Well both GSU and ASU have designs on heading to FBS as well. So should the SoCon fans of Wofford and Furman be thinking the same thing of your team? ODU has long been a member of the CAA, just because their football team was not long with the conference does not mean much to me. Now GaState I agree with, they were a useless addition to the CAA originally and even more so for Football. UNCC is no issue as they have not, nor will ever be any part of the the CAA.

Go Apps
November 6th, 2012, 11:53 AM
Well both GSU and ASU have designs on heading to FBS as well. So should the SoCon fans of Wofford and Furman be thinking the same thing of your team? ODU has long been a member of the CAA, just because their football team was not long with the conference does not mean much to me. Now GaState I agree with, they were a useless addition to the CAA originally and even more so for Football. UNCC is no issue as they have not, nor will ever be any part of the the CAA.

Okay well when Richmond is left at home with an 8-3 record - at least we know you will not be complaining

bostonspider
November 6th, 2012, 11:55 AM
If UR is left at home at 8-3 it is because our non conference schedule was weak. We lost to ODU so if they get in in front of us, they should have. Now if JMU makes it instead at 8-3, then I will be complaining as UR beat them and would have the same record..

WrenFGun
November 6th, 2012, 12:07 PM
Okay well when Richmond is left at home with an 8-3 record - at least we know you will not be complaining

You mean when Wofford is left at home with 7 DI wins?

Engineer86
November 6th, 2012, 12:39 PM
Richmond at 8-3 with losses to top 10 ODU, top 15 UNH, and BCS Virginia

Wofford at 7-3 with losses to top 10 GSU, unranked Samford and BCS South Carolina

Look like Richmond should get this nod.

WrenFGun
November 6th, 2012, 01:01 PM
Richmond at 8-3 with losses to top 10 ODU, top 15 UNH, and BCS Virginia

Wofford at 7-3 with losses to top 10 GSU, unranked Samford and BCS South Carolina

Look like Richmond should get this nod.

Look. Even Lehigh and UNH fans can agree on election day.

Engineer86
November 6th, 2012, 01:25 PM
Look. Even Lehigh and UNH fans can agree on election day.

Summers on a lake in NH love the state motto

ODUMonarch1
November 6th, 2012, 02:09 PM

Next Up UNCC

Hey, if the CAA wanted to prevent us from getting an at large bid they should have tried the unorthodox move of beating us in our conference games. Aside from that they did all they legally could by preventing our teams from competing for any conference titles.

URMite
November 6th, 2012, 02:23 PM

Next Up UNCC

why didn't your conference ban ODU from the playoffs? You have as much authority of at-large bids as we do...

narc
November 6th, 2012, 03:21 PM

Next Up UNCC

0/10

Obvious troll attempt is obvious.

lknspider
November 6th, 2012, 04:38 PM
If JMU loses to Villanova ....they will become the 8-3 team with the biggest problem ....having losses to both Richmond and Villanova .....and all three will likely be 8-3.

ODUalum78
November 6th, 2012, 07:10 PM
When I saw this title, I thought it would be about 1. the CAA letting URI back in and 2. the CAA considering letting App in. :D

dgtw
November 6th, 2012, 07:24 PM
Maybe they should have lost to Georgia State to boost their power rating.

Tim James
November 7th, 2012, 03:52 AM
When I saw this title, I thought it would be about 1. the CAA letting URI back in and 2. the CAA considering letting App in. :D

I thought it would be about letting in Albany and Stony Brook because I know some people (mainly JMU fans) didnt like it and wanted SoCon schools instead.

henfan
November 7th, 2012, 08:21 AM
ODU and GSU made the moves, not the CAA, so I'm not sure how the poster could suggest that the CAA made bad moves. Bringing in Albany & Stony Brook will undoubtedly be two very good moves and a likely net competitive gain over ODU & GSU. xthumbsupx

Any 8-3 CAA team will be a stone cold lock for the playoffs in 2012, as will 8-3 teams from the SoCon.

straightshooter
November 7th, 2012, 08:41 AM
Some of these transitional teams are above the 63 scholarship limit for FCS. I know Georgia State is. Are there others? If so, I don't think they qualify for the playoffs.

pike51
November 7th, 2012, 11:43 AM
My question is, how is this the CAA's fault? If we're upset ODU is taking a playoff spot from the field overall on their way through to FBS, then it's FCS's fault, not the CAA's.

bullitt_60
November 7th, 2012, 12:35 PM
The issue is that ODU is passing thru your conference on their way to the FBS - is is a shame that they can even make the playoffs as they have no interest in the FCS - your other schools are committed - so yes they are taking a spot

In my mind, ODU is a lesson on how to correctly build a program. Ga State, not so much. I did thoroughly enjoy watching the Panthers get throttled every week though.

Why do you care?

ODUalum78
November 7th, 2012, 12:56 PM
ODU and GSU made the moves, not the CAA, so I'm not sure how the poster could suggest that the CAA made bad moves. Bringing in Albany & Stony Brook will undoubtedly be two very good moves and a likely net competitive gain over ODU & GSU. xthumbsupx

Any 8-3 CAA team will be a stone cold lock for the playoffs in 2012, as will 8-3 teams from the SoCon.

There is a scenario, and it is even reasonable, whereby Villanova and UR win out, and JMU beats ODU. There would then be four 8-3 CAA teams and the AQ, UNH. Five if UNH loses to Towson, thus making I think (not sure) Villanova the AQ.

So you think that 5 (five 8-3 or four 8-3 qnd one 9-2) CAA teams would still get a bid? I don't know about that.

Additionally;and as unrealistic as this might be;
It stands right now there is a perfect storm scenario whereby 27 or 28 8-3 (including AQs) or better teams; without having to beat an FBS team, could end up vying for the 20 playoff spots.

Usually by now the discussion is about 7 win teams. :D

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 7th, 2012, 01:28 PM
To the original poster, Georgia State was an unmitigated failure. That has been well documented.

While it sucks that ODU came and went, I do think they added a lot to the league in the brief time they were here.

Richmond will go to the playoffs if they go 8-3 and they won't go to the playoffs if they are 7-4. This has nothing to do with ODU, Georgia State or anybody else.

Go Apps
November 7th, 2012, 01:49 PM

Bet an 8-3 CAA team is not a lock this year

ITmonarch10
November 7th, 2012, 01:56 PM
Bet an 8-3 CAA team is not a lock this year

I could of sworn this happened before.

TheRevSFA
November 7th, 2012, 01:58 PM
http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BNzAyMDY0NTMwNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDgxMTM4NA@@._ V1._SY317_.jpg

heath
November 7th, 2012, 07:57 PM
ODU has fully embraced our FCS and CAA experience, and has sold out our stadium for four straight years to prove it. An opportunity came along (earlier than many of us would have predicted) that allows us to move to FBS. You'd do the same, given the opportunity.

Quit whining like some jilted chubby manipulative girl that did not get a date to the prom. It is unbecoming of someone representing the fanbase of a storied and well-respected FCS power like Appy State.

+1 Smitty. Many fans wish their team was following ODU. You started your team the same time Campbell did,(yes you guys have played that non scholarship team)and it is 180 degrees different. Coach Wilder has done a great job. Might be sitting on a gold mine in Norfolk. I tried to warn the masses on AGS two years ago and got xlolx at.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 8th, 2012, 01:20 PM

They are taking a spot? Yes, from the total field. No, not from the CAA in particular. Rather, they are adding to the CAA's participation in the playoffs this year.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 8th, 2012, 01:23 PM
post deleted.