PDA

View Full Version : Does Sam Houston get a seed?

TheRevSFA
November 5th, 2012, 08:47 PM
Things to consider:

Top 5 team in two polls
Will get share of Southland title with win Saturday but not AQ

If they lose to A&M on Nov 17, they finish 8-3 with 7 d1 wins

Go!

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 5th, 2012, 08:51 PM
8-3 record?

No they don't.

TheRevSFA
November 5th, 2012, 08:51 PM
Do they make the playoffs?

Jacked_Rabbit
November 5th, 2012, 08:52 PM

Exactly, Rev. This is the better question...

Bison Fan in NW MN
November 5th, 2012, 09:04 PM

A 8-3 Sammy team?

You bet they are in......IMO.

Jacked_Rabbit
November 5th, 2012, 09:10 PM
A 8-3 Sammy team?

It'll be hard enough for a team with 7 D1 wins get into the playoff field (although SHSU will get the benefit of the doubt after last year), so I surely don't know how they can jump 10 or 11 teams that have 8+ D1 wins in order to obtain a seed. Just don't see it happening. I do, however, think they'll sneak into the playoffs and possibly cause some damage.

Twentysix
November 5th, 2012, 09:10 PM
A 8-3 Sammy team?

7-3 DII wins don't count.

md64179
November 5th, 2012, 09:15 PM
I defiantly think they are in at 8-3, but not sure about a seed. It is possible though. Crazy things can happen the next 2 weeks.

CopperCat
November 5th, 2012, 09:16 PM
They are in. No seed, but possibly a first round home game.

frozennorth
November 5th, 2012, 09:18 PM
absolutely in, but playing first week.

i think they might pull the upset against a&m though

Twentysix
November 5th, 2012, 09:20 PM

If that happens they will be hosting all the way to frisco.

frozennorth
November 5th, 2012, 09:24 PM
If that happens they will be hosting all the way to frisco.

no, but they would get the 3 seed.

if ndsu and msu win out they are locks for 1&2 presuming they win out

Thundar
November 5th, 2012, 09:37 PM
They don't get a seed

Sam_Kats
November 5th, 2012, 09:42 PM
Again, I think if Kats take care of business against NwSt, they're in for sure...no seed but hosting like FTG06 said. If they throttle the Demons & have a decent showing at Kyle Field, I think they get a seed.

344Johnson
November 5th, 2012, 09:42 PM
Unworthy of a seed unless a W against A&M(not happening). Tough sledding and really poor job by the AD setting them up like this.

Thundar
November 5th, 2012, 09:43 PM
Again, I think if Kats take care of business against NwSt, they're in for sure...no seed but hosting like FTG06 said. If they throttle the Demons & have a decent showing at Kyle Field, I think they get a seed.

Ok, how does a team with. D2 win get a seed? When teams from the MvFC, SoCon, BSC, CAA will have better records?

It won't happen imo

Sam_Kats
November 5th, 2012, 09:49 PM
I think this sums it up best...posted by a gentleman earlier tonight. Say what you will...everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Still a lot of play out - but the committee's "opinion" is all that matters. Either way, I won't be shocked...are they a lock, nope. Terrible scheduling in a tough circumstance with 2 scheduled foes going FBS. But, if the committee wants the BEST teams in the playoffs, they'd be idiots to leave Sam at home. They are absolutely ROLLING right now.

By MTFan:

It's amazing how people still don't respect Sam Houston. Comparing them to Wofford???? Sam has just been dominating teams. Yes, they lost to UCA, but among like opponents, Sam is annihilating teams while UCA is just slightly roughing them up. Among like conference opponents, Sam has outscored by a combined 203 points, UCA has outscored by 46 points. You have to look beyond their "weak" schedule.

Look at what they've done the past six weeks. They have outscored their last six opponents 313-66. They haven't been playing high school teams either. SELA's next closest FCS losses were 20 to UCA, 17 to TSU and SDSU. SHSU beat SELA by 70. Lamar has kept every FCS loss within 14 with the exception of a 49 point loss to SHSU. Look at what they did to McNeese. McNeese has won 6 games, lost two games by a combined 2 points, and have a 35 point loss to Sam Houston. There's something more to this team than just having the probable potential of 7 wins.

Sam Houston is playing just as good or better right now than any other team in all of the FCS. Rationalizing that they won't be in the playoffs just because they'd only have 7 wins is stupid. Considering the crowd who is doing that, I guess I'm not too surprised. The committee looks for the 10 best at-large teams. I don't know what SHSU has done to prove they're not one of those teams.

KATS_21
November 5th, 2012, 09:55 PM
What is the highest ranked team that has been left out of the playoffs?

The Kats beat NW St Saturday and they are in. Probably not a seed but getting a bye and hosting 1 game. They will technically end the season 7-1 with 2 fbs losses (Baylor and A&M) plus a DII win.

Every team in the country gets to ride the coattails of the previous year, not sure why everyone is surprised to see it happening this year. The Kats are on a major roll right now and I expect it to continue in the playoffs. Northern Az was 4-7 last year, if they were coming off a better season, they would be ranked higher.

Thundar
November 5th, 2012, 09:58 PM
What is the highest ranked team that has been left out of the playoffs?

The Kats beat NW St Saturday and they are in. Probably not a seed but getting a bye and hosting 1 game. They will technically end the season 7-1 with 2 fbs losses (Baylor and A&M) plus a DII win.

Every team in the country gets to ride the coattails of the previous year, not sure why everyone is surprised to see it happening this year. The Kats are on a major roll right now and I expect it to continue in the playoffs. Northern Az was 4-7 last year, if they were coming off a better season, they would be ranked higher.

7-1? They would be 7-3 in D1 play, FBS counts as a loss still

Sam_Kats
November 5th, 2012, 10:01 PM
He's isolating the FCS competition with 'other' competition.

7-1 FCS
1-0 DII
0-2 FBS
________
8-3 season

Get it??

KATS_21
November 5th, 2012, 10:03 PM
7-1? They would be 7-3 in D1 play, FBS counts as a loss still

7-1 fcs play with only loss against a top 20 UCA. 2 fbs losses to Baylor and Aggies. You are right 7-3, but there is plenty of talk throughout this forum about fbs wins helping more than losses hurting your positioning and perhaps they shouldn't have an impact.

Thundar
November 5th, 2012, 10:03 PM

7-1 FCS
1-0 DII
0-2 FBS
________
8-3 season

Get it??

DII doesn't count

7-3 to the selection committee get it??

Thundar
November 5th, 2012, 10:04 PM
7-1 fcs play with only loss against a top 20 UCA. 2 fbs losses to Baylor and Aggies. You are right 7-3, but there is plenty of talk throughout this forum about fbs wins helping more than losses hurting your positioning and perhaps they shouldn't have an impact.

Agree but losses still count, wins against DII and lower do not

Twentysix
November 5th, 2012, 10:31 PM

7-1 FCS
1-0 DII
0-2 FBS
________
8-3 season

Get it??
:)

3. The won-lost record of a team will be scrutinized to determine a team’s strength of
schedule; however, less than seven Division I wins may place a team in jeopardy of
not being selected;
4. The committee may give more consideration to those teams that have played all
Division I opponents;

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/champ_handbooks/football/2011/2011_1_football.pdf

page 17 rule 4.

Divison I defined as FBS and FCS football teams.

Translated into texan: Not Incarnite Word Y'all.

FCS losses being the main consideration is something that exists on AGS but not in the rulebook. It is ficticious. ;)

Selection Criteria
[Reference: Bylaws 31.01.2, 31.01.3 and 31.3 in the NCAA Manual.]
At-large teams shall be selected by the Division I football committee, assisted by four
regional advisory committees that serve in an advisory capacity only.
The following principles shall apply when selecting at-large teams:
1. The committee shall select the best teams available on a national at-large basis to
complete the bracket. Per NCAA Bylaw 31, the basic criteria used in the selection
of at-large participants are (1) won-lost record, (2) strength-of-schedule, and (3)
eligibility and availability of student-athletes for the NCAA championship;
2. There is no limit to the number of teams the committee may select from one conference;
3. The won-lost record of a team will be scrutinized to determine a team’s strength of
schedule; however, less than seven Division I wins may place a team in jeopardy of
not being selected;
4. The committee may give more consideration to those teams that have played all
Division I opponents; and
5. If the team of a committee member is under consideration, the member may not vote
for the team being considered and will not be in the room when a vote is taken.
6. For those conferences that qualify for automatic qualification but do not receive it,
a guaranteed at-large position shall be awarded in any year in which its conference
champion team meets all of the following conditions:
a. Team wins a minimum of eight Division I games during the season;
b. Team wins a minimum of two non-conference games against Division I teams
representing a conference that has earned an automatic qualification in that year;
and
c. Team finishes the season ranked 20 or higher in an average of the last regularseason
media, coaches and/or computer polls (which will be determined by
the committee on an annual basis). For 2011, the media poll will be the Sports
Network Poll, the coaches poll will be the FCS Coaches poll and the computer
poll will be a variation of the Gridiron Power Index – using only the following
computer rankings: The Massey Ratings, Wolfe Rankings, Ashburn Rankings,
Self Rankings and the Laz Index.
[See Appendix B (page 43) for a map of the geographical regions.]

Sam_Kats
November 5th, 2012, 10:38 PM
See everyone in the playoffs.

Sammy94
November 5th, 2012, 11:06 PM
Playoffs yes. Seed will depend on if the teams above them lose or not. Whatever happens I don't think many will want to see SHSU in their bracket.

McNeese75
November 5th, 2012, 11:15 PM

Seriously? Kats are good, but not THAT good.

My 2 cents, beat the Demons and represent in aggieland and you are in, but a seed is doubtful (although you will stack up against any team that does get seeded)

Sammy94
November 5th, 2012, 11:21 PM
I was thinking the same thing. No way does any FCS team go into Kyle Field and beat the Aggies when they suck. No chance of a upset this year when they are one of the top 20 teams in the Nation.

Engineer86
November 6th, 2012, 05:13 AM

Not every team. Be careful saying something like this or you will hijack this thread into Lehigh bash fest.xlolx

kalm
November 6th, 2012, 07:58 AM
no, but they would get the 3 seed.

if ndsu and msu win out they are locks for 1&2 presuming they win out

10-1 NDSU and ODU would be locks for the 1 and 2. A 10-1 NAU and 9-2 EWU have better resumes than a 10-1 MSU. In this scenario, the 3-5 seeds would be up for grabs with several potential 9-2 teams from the BSC, Valley, and CAA and (unfortunately) Lehigh and Stony Brook thrown into the discussion.

Besides, a 9-2 C. Ark has almost as decent a resume as Sam and they have the h2h. Given A&M is still coming up, the Bears are more worthy of this discussion.

bisonboone11
November 6th, 2012, 08:48 AM
I can't imagine SHSU would get a seed. I believe there are still 17 teams that can get to 9+ DI wins, and another 9 that can get to 8 DI wins (including SHSU). I understand SHSU is on a roll right now, but can you really punish the other teams that have been consistent the entire year just because one team happened to get hot at the end of the season? If they beat Texas A&M, then they should be in the discussion of a seed, but I don't think any 7-win team deserves to be seeded. If you want to get a seed, find a way to win. There was a thread not too long ago on whether or not any 7-win teams would even make the playoffs, and we're discussing whether or not one should be seeded? That just doesn't seem right. But obviously what we think has absolutely no bearing on where they end up, so I guess it makes for an interesting conversation.

Sam_Kats
November 6th, 2012, 08:51 AM
Committee wants the best teams in. They'll sort it out.

NDSUstudent
November 6th, 2012, 09:00 AM
Scheduling DII or lower teams = kick in the nuts

bisonboone11
November 6th, 2012, 09:05 AM
Committee wants the best teams in. They'll sort it out.
Do they want they best teams right now or the teams that have been the best throughout the entire season? I think SHSU will get in the playoffs, and they probably deserve that, but I don't think they deserve a seed. When's the last time a 7-win team even got a first round bye?

kingkat99
November 6th, 2012, 09:06 AM
I dont think we deserve or should get a seed, but I do see most of the comments against SH being in the playoffs are coming from Bison fans. Im not sure if that is because this has practically become their 2nd messageboard or because they really really dont want to see SH end up on their side of the bracket.

katstrapper
November 6th, 2012, 09:08 AM
Kats win Saturday, they are in the playoffs . Sam Houston has been ranked all season in the top 10 and have climbed back to #3 in the country late in the season. If they are on the road for the majority of their games so be it. They have been road warriors all season. They are steamrolling opponents in their wins and especially during this 6 game win streak. Aggies better hope they dont look past SHSU because they could sneak up and cause some trouble. I see the A&M game as a similar game to the Baylor game.
Just like everyone last year underestimated the Kats, you are all underestimating them again and I like that!! Stats dont lie what this team is doing right now or what they have done this season...

asumike83
November 6th, 2012, 09:09 AM
No way they get left out at 8-3 even if there are only 7 DI wins but I think they scheduled their way out of a seed with a DII and 2 FBS games.

Bearkat-Backer
November 6th, 2012, 09:11 AM
A 7 win team shouldn't be seeded. I would be suprised if we didn't make the field though. I think the question should be do we get a first round bye not do we get a seed?

bisonboone11
November 6th, 2012, 09:22 AM
I dont think we deserve or should get a seed, but I do see most of the comments against SH being in the playoffs are coming from Bison fans. Im not sure if that is because this has practically become their 2nd messageboard or because they really really dont want to see SH end up on their side of the bracket.
The only problem I would have with SHSU being in the playoffs is if an 8-win team from a better conference gets left out for a 7-win SHSU team. It has nothing to do with not wanting to face SHSU. I wouldn't mind seeing NDSU play SHSU again. I just don't think it would be right to leave out teams that have been more consistent throughout the season just because a team got on a roll to end the season. If the committee isn't going to factor in the games at the beginning of the season, why even play them?

bisonboone11
November 6th, 2012, 09:23 AM
A 7 win team shouldn't be seeded. I would be suprised if we didn't make the field though. I think the question should be do we get a first round bye not do we get a seed?
+1

kingkat99
November 6th, 2012, 09:28 AM
The only problem I would have with SHSU being in the playoffs is if an 8-win team from a better conference gets left out for a 7-win SHSU team. It has nothing to do with not wanting to face SHSU. I wouldn't mind seeing NDSU play SHSU again. I just don't think it would be right to leave out teams that have been more consistent throughout the season just because a team got on a roll to end the season. If the committee isn't going to factor in the games at the beginning of the season, why even play them?

They lost the second and third game of the season and have won all the rest after that so far, so I guess Im having trouble seeing how there is a consistency problem.

BEAR
November 6th, 2012, 09:28 AM
Here you go Sam:

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=I.4903964375844733&pid=1.7&w=202&h=150&c=7&rs=1

katstrapper
November 6th, 2012, 09:30 AM

Kats will host a first round game I think for sure if all plays out as it appears. BW will make sure that happens.
Obviously the pollsters think the Kats are a top 5 team by the look of the rankings. Even the coaches poll says the same thing.

If Kats pull a major upset in Kyle Field, top 4 seed will be a lock. UCA will not get a seed.

bluehenbillk
November 6th, 2012, 09:32 AM
At 8-3 they definitely don't get a seed, but in reality nobody will be happy about facing them.

katstrapper
November 6th, 2012, 09:33 AM

Kats have outscored their opponents this season 410 - 178. They have been on a roll since midpoint of the season, not the end of the season. Kat D hasnt given up an offensive touchdown since the McNeese game. How much more consistent do they need to be?

Sam_Kats
November 6th, 2012, 09:35 AM
In all reality, a #5 seed gets you the same thing as a non-seeded bye...one home game, then on the road to face a higher seed. Moot point.

But, again, if Kats win Saturday, they're in regardless.

Professor Chaos
November 6th, 2012, 09:36 AM
Yes to playoffs.
Yes to 1st round bye.
No to seed (I have them as the #5 seed right now but I expect a team like UNH or NAU to overtake them over the last couple weeks).

katstrapper
November 6th, 2012, 09:38 AM
so here is a question....

Kats hang 50+ on NW St this weekend with a win, lose by two touchdowns or less in A&M game, whats your scenario?

Sam_Kats
November 6th, 2012, 09:46 AM
And let's be honest, money makes the world turn. Last year's title game was a SELLOUT - due to a crazy contingent that follows the 'only show in town' & a school that benefited geographically from being just hours away. Same reason Montana & App St would get nods on hosting home games (25k attendance) over other programs. Sure, there's a bidding process but you get the picture. The committee knows how good it made FCS football look last year and leaving out a Top 5 team with the acceptable amount of wins would be CRAZY.

If Sam would have continued their games with WIU & rolled them 45-0 like everyone else did this year, would that make them a better team? Nope. And the committee knows it. But they'd have 8 wins instead of the required 7, right?

Like I've said before, I won't be shocked either way...seed or no seed. I see both sides of the argument & I don't mind this team hitting the road.

kalm
November 6th, 2012, 09:46 AM
In all reality, a #5 seed gets you the same thing as a non-seeded bye...one home game, then on the road to face a higher seed. Moot point.

But, again, if Kats win Saturday, they're in regardless.

We would have played at NDSU in the 2010 quarterfinals without the #5 seed.

HensRock
November 6th, 2012, 11:08 AM
They will technically end the season 7-1 with 2 fbs losses (Baylor and A&M) plus a DII win.

TECHNICALLY, they will be 7-3, including 2 FBS losses, plus a DII win.

Someone on here has perpetuated the myth that FBS losses do not count - this is categorically FALSE. Read the NCAA FCS Playoff Selection Rules!!!
THe ONLY games which do not count toward FCS Playoff Selection are Non-DI Wins.

TheRevSFA
November 6th, 2012, 11:22 AM
Kats have outscored their opponents this season 410 - 178. They have been on a roll since midpoint of the season, not the end of the season. Kat D hasnt given up an offensive touchdown since the McNeese game. How much more consistent do they need to be?

Who is Sam's quality win? Since Sam has started on this tear, they've only played one team with a winning record (McNeese). SFA could finish 6-5 so that would help the argument.

BEAR
November 6th, 2012, 12:50 PM
The question beckons...is SAMs 2012 7 victories greater than another schools 2012 8 victories?

Guess we'll find out!

KATS_21
November 6th, 2012, 01:34 PM
Who is Sam's quality win? Since Sam has started on this tear, they've only played one team with a winning record (McNeese). SFA could finish 6-5 so that would help the argument.

The same conference schedule as SFA. You can say quality win all day long especially if the games are close. I get that argument, but Sam is absolutely demolishing teams.

The SLC is a 2 team league again this year.

So if we go to the polls and look at the coaches poll, GPI, Sagarin, Sports Network, the Kats are in the top 3 in every poll. This would lead me to believe the committee will consider giving them a seed, but I doubt it happens unless other teams lose in the last 2 weeks. Its funny to me how some of you are arguing to keep the Kats completely out of the playoffs. Im pretty sure that if you had the rankings to back that up (15+) then every Kat fan that I know of would agree with you.

What if/when NDSU and Montana St lose a game, then what happens?

frozennorth
November 6th, 2012, 01:47 PM

i think we want to see shsu in the bracket, and aren't really concerned. the realities is that several 7 win teams are going to be left out (hello indiana state), shsu is certainly at risk despite a lofty rating.

frozennorth
November 6th, 2012, 01:53 PM
The same conference schedule as SFA. You can say quality win all day long especially if the games are close. I get that argument, but Sam is absolutely demolishing teams.

So if we go to the polls and look at the coaches poll, GPI, Sagarin, Sports Network, the Kats are in the top 3 in every poll. This would lead me to believe the committee will consider giving them a seed, but I doubt it happens unless other teams lose in the last 2 weeks. Its funny to me how some of you are arguing to keep the Kats completely out of the playoffs. Im pretty sure that if you had the rankings to back that up (15+) then every Kat fan that I know of would agree with you.

there are many teams ahead of shsu in line, including at least 2 others from the bsc, 2 from the mvfc, and 3 from the caa. plus stony brook and even (sigh) lehigh. there would be a lot of outrage over a 7-3 team getting a seed, regardless of how you've been pounding opponents.

TheRevSFA
November 6th, 2012, 02:16 PM

I like how you tried to throw a dig at SFA in there. At least we beat UCA. You guys gave up that game.

While Sam is ranked in the top 3 on the coaches poll and TSN, that's based off of last year's record. Had Sam not went to the NC, they wouldn't be a top 10 team this year, maybe not top 15 (See UCA for example). Sam's resume is not strong by any means, without the success from last year. You're blowing out teams in a conference that's not considered strong. Your AD (as was stated on Katfans) put you guys in the situation of not making the playoffs based on the two FBS games if you lost an additional game, and that happened.

So, even better question after I read Mr C's article:

If McNeese wins out, they'd be 8-3 with 7 D1 wins, two of them being over FBS schools.

If Sam wins against NW State and loses against A&M, Sam would be 8-3 with 7 D1 wins, one of them being McNeese.

Who gets in?

Nothing is guaranteed at this point, and Mr C can do what every one else is doing and that's speculate over the playoff brackets.

I personally think Sam gets in, I don't think Sam gets a seed, but you need to realize that it's not a given yet. Not by any means

Not with 30 potential playoff teams, and only 20 slots

Sam_Kats
November 6th, 2012, 02:17 PM
There will be outrage no matter what. Sam WILL get in playoffs. Committee is too smart to leave them out.

katstrapper
November 7th, 2012, 08:03 AM
Its funny how this conversation has started again. Last year, nobody thought SHSU deserved the #1 seed and they were undefeated. The question of "quality wins" was raised then. Kats beat an FBS team on the road, but the gripe was it was a crappy FBS team so that didnt count. Kats steamroll through the conference and its the same arguement that the SLC is a weak conference.

Now in 2012, the arguement is being made that the only reason SHSU is ranked so high is because of last years success.. When are you people going to quit underestimating? Sam Houston gets in the playoffs, the opponents better heed the warning that this team is on a roll. The biggest difference in this team is that the passing game is MUCH improved on offense and the no huddle offense.

I am ready for this team to prove all the naysayers wrong again.

bisonboone11
November 7th, 2012, 08:14 AM
I think SHSU has about as much of a chance of getting a seed as they do of not making the playoffs. For them to get a seed, I think they would need to beat A&M, which is not likely. On the other hand, a loss this weekend (probably more likely than beating A&M) would knock them out of the playoffs, unless they pull the miracle upset on A&M.

THE HERD
November 7th, 2012, 08:41 AM
10-1 NDSU and ODU would be locks for the 1 and 2. A 10-1 NAU and 9-2 EWU have better resumes than a 10-1 MSU. In this scenario, the 3-5 seeds would be up for grabs with several potential 9-2 teams from the BSC, Valley, and CAA and (unfortunately) Lehigh and Stony Brook thrown into the discussion.

Besides, a 9-2 C. Ark has almost as decent a resume as Sam and they have the h2h. Given A&M is still coming up, the Bears are more worthy of this discussion.

NDSU still has two very tough games ahead against two teams that will be in the playoffs, so we are no lock for 10-1 by no means. Some will say SDSU might not be a playoff team, but they will for sure.....even if they lose to the Bison this weekend they will for surely put a beat down on USD...they are terrible!

katstrapper
November 7th, 2012, 01:38 PM
Bottom line, Kats win this weekend they will be in the playoffs. Its up to the committee to decide if they want to seed them or not. Either NDSU or Montana St could stump their toe this weekend. Everyone knows how the Montana/Montana St game played out last year and the affect it had on the brackets.

So run this scenario in your heads....

#1 NDSU loses one of two remaining games.
#2 Montana St loses to Montana
#3 Sam Houston beats NW St and loses at A&M.

Who are your seeds then?

kingkat99
November 7th, 2012, 01:47 PM
Not Sam Houston. We dont deserve one regardless of what the polls may or may not say. Sleep walking through the UCA game cost them the outright conference championship and I dont think anyone who a. only has 7 D1 wins or b. cant even win their conference outright deserves a seed.

TheRevSFA
November 7th, 2012, 01:48 PM
Not Sam Houston. We dont deserve one regardless of what the polls may or may not say. Sleep walking through the UCA game cost them the outright conference championship and I dont think anyone who a. only has 7 D1 wins or b. cant even win their conference outright deserves a seed.

This. Only having 7 D1 wins isn't going to help your cause for a seed. You'll make the playoffs..maybe get a home game..but I strongly doubt a seed.

URMite
November 7th, 2012, 01:51 PM
TECHNICALLY, they will be 7-3, including 2 FBS losses, plus a DII win.

Someone on here has perpetuated the myth that FBS losses do not count - this is categorically FALSE. Read the NCAA FCS Playoff Selection Rules!!!
THe ONLY games which do not count toward FCS Playoff Selection are Non-DI Wins.

I personally count FBS as 1.1 win or .9 loss and Div II as .3 win or 1.3 loss :D

SportsLover
November 7th, 2012, 01:52 PM

NDSU did not win their conference outright and they were awarded a seed last year.

TheRevSFA
November 7th, 2012, 01:53 PM
NDSU did not win their conference outright and they were awarded a seed last year.

NDSU got the AQ though, right?

Sam didn't this year

SportsLover
November 7th, 2012, 02:00 PM
NDSU got the AQ though, right?

Sam didn't this year

You are correct. I see what what he was getting at.

Fear the Bird
November 7th, 2012, 02:03 PM
Bottom line, Kats win this weekend they will be in the playoffs. Its up to the committee to decide if they want to seed them or not. Either NDSU or Montana St could stump their toe this weekend. Everyone knows how the Montana/Montana St game played out last year and the affect it had on the brackets.

Who are your seeds then?

EWU, Old Dominion, Sam/UCA, GSU/NDSU, Lehigh

bisonboone11
November 7th, 2012, 02:03 PM

Who are your seeds then?

SHSU shouldn't even be in the conversation unless they beat A&M. If Lehigh wins out, they will most likely get a seed whether we like it or not. If SDSU beats NDSU, they would deserve a seed more than SHSU. I think even with one more loss, NDSU would deserve a seed more than SHSU (more DI wins right now than SHSU will get to). Illinois State would arguably deserve a higher seed if they beat NDSU in 2 weeks. EWU (more DI wins, 2 FBS games, better conference). Central Arkansas should get one before SHSU if they win out (better record and won the head to head). ODU, Stony Brook, Northern Arizona... I'm sure someone can think of a few more.

kingkat99
November 7th, 2012, 02:10 PM
Thats what Im getting at as long as you got your conference AQ by winning the H2H with whomever you are deemed co-champions with, if you got there by some ridiculous tie breaker than no you still shouldnt get a seed.

BTW, this is off topic, but the co-champion concept is ridiculous. If you are the loser of the H2H you should be the LOSER period. No reason SH should call themselves SLC champs this season and buy rings since they lost to the other "co-champion".

bisonnation
November 7th, 2012, 02:11 PM
No. Can't count a d2 win. The sad part is they are a good team but their ad put them in a tough spot. If they make the playoffs they will be playing the first Saturday after the regular season.

Nickels
November 7th, 2012, 02:21 PM
My homer reasoning with limited knowledge of other teams outside of the SLC (i'm not like most of AGS that looks at a few scores and acts like I know the other teams well enough to rank them, I need to see at least 2-3 full games to judge a team), is if Sam got the # 1 seed and made it to the NC last year and the team is better this year, they deserve at least a 3 or 4 seed. But I completely understand that the committee and most outsiders will look at the early UCA loss more than the quality of the team. I would be fairly shocked if we got a seed above #5 tbh.

bisonnation
November 7th, 2012, 02:37 PM

Who are your seeds then?

It would certainly make it interesting. If that happens, both Montana State and NDSU may still have a higher seed but not by much. 9 d1 wins for NDSU and an fbs win Montana State with 8 d1 wins vs 7 for Sam Houston. The only negative is Sam Houston doesnt have a signature win this year. It's loss was at Central Arkansas who is ranked. Ndsu would have 2 losses to ranked opponents. Montana State would have a loss to a highly ranked team and a rival. Big Sky and Missouri Valley are tougher. I think the playoff committee has respect for all 3 programs

Depends on whether NDSU would lose to Illinois State or SDSU as an SDSU win or if they share conference title.

Sam_Kats
November 7th, 2012, 03:02 PM
That rival would be unranked for MSU. We have a WIN over a rival at a neutral site. Ok, just stirring the pot.

JMU2004
November 7th, 2012, 03:25 PM
won't be seeded. If in at 7-3, you will be playing in the play-in rounds.

KATS_21
November 7th, 2012, 03:44 PM
For those of you that keep saying "IF," can you tell me what is the highest ranked team to ever be left out of the playoffs?

Sam has to win Saturday and they are in playoffs with a bye. If they happen to lose at NW St, it wont matter what happens ahead of them Sam Houston will not make it and possibly McNeese will if they win out.

bisonboone11
November 7th, 2012, 03:50 PM
For those of you that keep saying "IF," can you tell me what is the highest ranked team to ever be left out of the playoffs?

Sam has to win Saturday and they are in playoffs with a bye. If they happen to lose at NW St, it wont matter what happens ahead of them Sam Houston will not make it and possibly McNeese will if they win out.
Has a 7-win team ever had a first round bye?

BEAR
November 7th, 2012, 03:52 PM
BTW, this is off topic, but the co-champion concept is ridiculous. If you are the loser of the H2H you should be the LOSER period. No reason SH should call themselves SLC champs this season and buy rings since they lost to the other "co-champion".

It's the SLC...The SLC gives rings to teams that don't have the best season record. #ohtexassnap

As for McNeese and Sam Houston:
If both have 7 division I wins who gets in?
Sam should because of the conf. champ. and high ranking plus they are hitting it like an SFA fan in a European brew house. There's no stopping 'em.

McNeese has 7 wins but how many teams have or will have 8 d-I wins? Will those d-I wins be enough for either team?

KATS_21
November 7th, 2012, 03:53 PM
Has a 7-win team ever had a first round bye?

Has there ever been an AD to pull a bone-headed decision and schedule yourself into this situation after coming off a NC game appearance?

bisonnation
November 7th, 2012, 04:08 PM
That rival would be unranked for MSU. We have a WIN over a rival at a neutral site. Ok, just stirring the pot.

Montana and Montana State is a good game no matter what. Throw the records out. Especially when the Bobcats have to travel for it. One team could be win less and the other could be undefeated and it doesn't matter.

Sam_Kats
November 7th, 2012, 04:36 PM
Got it. Same with us & SFA.

kingkat99
November 7th, 2012, 04:43 PM
Montana and Montana State is a good game no matter what. Throw the records out. Especially when the Bobcats have to travel for it. One team could be win less and the other could be undefeated and it doesn't matter.

And they would likely both still be in the Top 25. I dont think SH should sniff a seed except in the event the stars align and they beat ATM, but they did build some mojo equity last season that will probably pay dividends for them in making the playoff even as a lowly 7 win SLC team this season. People seem to have trouble with that concept even though the same would be true for NDSU if they ever get a dumba** AD who schedules them into a corner after a NC run the previous season.

bisonboone11
November 7th, 2012, 05:15 PM
And they would likely both still be in the Top 25. I dont think SH should sniff a seed except in the event the stars align and they beat ATM, but they did build some mojo equity last season that will probably pay dividends for them in making the playoff even as a lowly 7 win SLC team this season. People seem to have trouble with that concept even though the same would be true for NDSU if they ever get a dumba** AD who schedules them into a corner after a NC run the previous season.
I agree that SHSU's playoff run last season will probably help with getting into the playoffs this year, even at 7-3. However, another SHSU fan seemed to be implying that a 7-3 SHSU team would deserve a seed over a 9-2 NDSU team this year. I don't care what you did in the playoffs last year or what your schedule was, 7 DI wins should not get you a seed IMO. Personally, I would have trouble saying NDSU would deserve a seed at 9-2, but I feel they would be more deserving than a 7-3 SHSU team.

kingkat99
November 7th, 2012, 05:40 PM
I agree that SHSU's playoff run last season will probably help with getting into the playoffs this year, even at 7-3. However, another SHSU fan seemed to be implying that a 7-3 SHSU team would deserve a seed over a 9-2 NDSU team this year. I don't care what you did in the playoffs last year or what your schedule was, 7 DI wins should not get you a seed IMO. Personally, I would have trouble saying NDSU would deserve a seed at 9-2, but I feel they would be more deserving than a 7-3 SHSU team.

Every fanbase has unreasonable koolaid drinkers.

Nickels
November 7th, 2012, 07:00 PM
Every fanbase has unreasonable koolaid drinkers.
<---------

LuckyKat
November 7th, 2012, 07:28 PM
Well, I have said it before, you have to consider the $$$$, and what it means to the NCAA
Then look at the Big picture,
Polls, GPI and late season momentum
Every one can say all they want,
Ill see you all in Huntsville TEXAS

katstrapper
November 7th, 2012, 07:46 PM
I can tell you right now, the way this Kat squad is playing at the moment, they could probably punch a ticket on a deep run in the playoffs. If Kats hang another 50 points this weekend, it might be a track meet in College Station next week.
I am having a gut feeling that A&M could get look past the Kats a little bit after the Alabama game this weekend. Not saying they will, but I could see it happening. Kats have something to prove after that Baylor game. They wanted that game bad and were in good shape up until 9 mins left in the 4th quarter.

grayghost06
November 9th, 2012, 04:20 PM
SHST played Baylor even till the last 11 minutes when they likely wore down (24 points in that span). They are probably playing as good as anyone right now. It'll be interesting to see if a bad mauling by A&M drops them much.

I know the transitive proprty doesn't mean much, but looking over their schedule I saw Sammy beat SFA by 8 . SMU beat SFA by 52 and the next week played A&M losing by 45. Could get ugly in College Station, but if it doesn't, they likely have earned a seed.