PDA

View Full Version : Unwritten Playoff Selection Criteria

Appattk
November 5th, 2012, 08:33 AM
We all know about autobids.. but after that it seems like all hats are off in terms of picking the next best 10.

What are some of the unwritten rules that we know about?

1. 7 division 1 wins: Only one time before has a 6 win team made the playoffs
2. Do tied conference champs get an auto-invite? (Looking at the SOCON for this one)
3. ??? Others ???
4. When making matchups does geography play any part?

What other rules are out there?

Thundar
November 5th, 2012, 08:35 AM
We all know about autobids.. but after that it seems like all hats are off in terms of picking the next best 10.

What are some of the unwritten rules that we know about?

1. 7 division 1 wins: Only one time before has a 6 win team made the playoffs
2. Do tied conference champs get an auto-invite? (Looking at the SOCON for this one)
3. ??? Others ???
4. When making matchups does geography play any part?

What other rules are out there?

If your tied for the championship in the SoCon, MVFC, Big Sky, or CAA pretty sure you don't have to worry about not making the playoffs

danefan
November 5th, 2012, 08:44 AM
The 7 win criteria is written in the handbook. Its just not a hard and fast rule. And what was the 6-win team that made the playoffs?

Appattk
November 5th, 2012, 09:07 AM
The 7 win criteria is written in the handbook. Its just not a hard and fast rule. And what was the 6-win team that made the playoffs?

I believe it was Idaho the year before moving up... (And they promptly lost in that first round in the playoffs)

walliver
November 5th, 2012, 09:15 AM

7 wins is written in the handbook, but is phrased in a manner that makes no sense, using the word "may". Historically, the "7 win" rule replaced the "4 loss" rule, apparently in an attempt to reward victories instead of punishing defeats.

Having followed the I-AA/FCS playoffs for a long time (I remember the AGS predecessor board before it was called AGS), the only hard and fast unwritten rule about the committee is that every other year or so, the committee does something that we all know they would never do.

DFW HOYA
November 5th, 2012, 09:33 AM
Minimums:
7 wins in the CAA, Big Sky, and Ohio Valley teams.
8 wins for most everyone else.
9 wins for SWAC, MEAC, and any Patriot team other than Bucknell or Georgetown
10 wins for NEC, Bucknell or Georgetown.
11 wins for a Pioneer at-large..would not be enough for some voters.

OhioHen
November 5th, 2012, 10:01 AM
Minimums:

I believe you meant Missouri Valley above. And the SoCon can certainly be included with the CAA, BS, and MVFC.

ElonFirefighter
November 5th, 2012, 10:10 AM

7 wins is written in the handbook but I do not think it says 7 D1 wins.

danefan
November 5th, 2012, 10:10 AM
Minimums:

What happens if Lehigh loses their next 2 games? I'm not sure they're in at 9-2.

danefan
November 5th, 2012, 10:12 AM

The handbook from prior years says this:

The won-lost record of a team will be scrutinized to determine a team’s strength of schedule; however, less than seven Division I wins may place a team in jeopardy of not being selected;

ursus arctos horribilis
November 5th, 2012, 10:14 AM
I believe it was Idaho the year before moving up... (And they promptly lost in that first round in the playoffs)

Sorry, off topic, but why have you not replied to the email/pm that agspoll sent you? We need an answer real, real quick on that.

Appattk
November 5th, 2012, 10:17 AM
Sorry, off topic, but why have you not replied to the email/pm that agspoll sent you? We need an answer real, real quick on that.

Yikes... Didn't see that. Hopefully you should get my reply in time..

walliver
November 5th, 2012, 10:17 AM

It specifically mention 7 D-I wins, but then states that less than that MAY disqualify you from at at-large bid (not WILL disqualify you). Essentially the NCAA was trying to get away from the 4 loss rule, and wanted to go with a rule concerning wins, but didn't want to make it a hard and fast rule.

The only realistic situation where I can see the NCAA going with a less than 7 D-I win team would be a situation like 9/11, where an entire week of football was cancelled, and everybody had to scramble to make up the games. I could also see them doing this for a competitive team that missed a game due to hurricane, earthquake, flood, or other natural disaster.

ElonFirefighter
November 5th, 2012, 10:24 AM
The handbook from prior years says this:

Ok I forgot it was worded like that. It doesn't say your out but says its not a strong chance.

CHIP72
November 5th, 2012, 10:33 AM
Minimums:

I think if Georgetown had gone 9-2 in 2011 they would have made the playoffs.